Print Page | Close Window

hired at a job, then fired a few days later

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=351190
Printed Date: Feb 18 2018 at 9:04pm

Topic: hired at a job, then fired a few days later
Posted By: melly
Subject: hired at a job, then fired a few days later
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 8:50am
Has anyone ever been hired at a new job and then fired a few days later?

I found a job doing telephone surveys at a company a few days ago on craigslist and they fired me and another girl yesterday. Me and the girl both started on monday and got fired yesterday.
The company is very small and laidback with about 12 employees and   I had my own small office space and during the training,
the hiring manager told me and the girl that they would put us on probation for 3 months and then after the probation period we would be at the company permanently. I feel like I was double crossed and used because I managed to get a couple of surveys in the last few days and I feel like what the manager did wasnt right at all , that he lied and tricked me and the other girl and that he didnt even give us a chance or trained us properly.I worked in other survey companies places in the past and they gave people a chance, they didnt fire people after 3 days. The survey script the manager gave us was on a paper and there were some parts in the script that didnt make any sense. I found other jobs on craigslist in this year and they did the same thing hire me and then fire me after a few days. Are all jobs on craigslist like this?

How come managers and employers don't want to give people a chance ?

Replies:
Posted By: zolloh
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 8:57am
So u changed the parts of the script that didnt "make sense"?

Posted By: starflower7
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 8:59am
Yeah this happened to me once because some brown nosing bish that worked there decided to try me and I checked the bish but it was...10 days. The whole craigslist thing is probably fishy though.

-------------
"I give to the needy...and not the greedy!"

"Mm hm that's right!"

Posted By: melly
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 9:00am
Originally posted by zolloh zolloh wrote:

yes I did I used my own words, but I think that company is a scam

Posted By: nala52808
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 9:05am
I've never had a job that would do me like dat. I had a telephone interviewing job, and I only stayed there for 20 days, but that's because I hated the job and decided never to return. I still got the headset and the keys to get into the building too.StarCoolCool  I think your place of employment must be really shady. Either that, or you were acting extremely ratchet.

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 9:05am
Originally posted by melly melly wrote:

the company could be a scam but i did market research one summer and we had to read from a script and couldnt veer from it and we were also told that the calls were monitored.

Posted By: zolloh
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 9:08am
Originally posted by melly melly wrote:

And therein lies the answer to your question. You were on probation and by Day 3 werent following orders

Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 9:13am
I wouldn't even trust getting a job on Craigs list.  I always thought it was a shady site to begin with, and shady ppl/companies using  it.

Go to Indeed.com, monster, or careerbuider and look for jobs there.

I've never been hired and fired within the same month.  Only gotten laid off once after 2 years of working a job.  Did get a nice severance packageSmile

-------------
Everyone has a role in life. We all can't be CEO's somebody gotta take the orders at Mickey D's & the KFC's -Jewelsync

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 9:15am
call center scripts are not a suggestion. they are mandatory. when the calls are monitored by QA, they're looking to see if you use the correct opening script, closing script, and whatever they require in the middle. 
A verbal warning would have sufficed, but you have to do your part as well. 
and Craigs list is, of course, fishy

Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 9:19am
Maybe she had to change the script in order not to sound uneducated. At the place I worked, I swear they never proofread that crap and it did not make any kind of sense. One time they wrote I be calling, instead of I am calling, so I had to change it and let them know.

Posted By: starflower7
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 9:25am
Originally posted by nala52808 nala52808 wrote:

I be calling

LMAO people are so dumb LOL

-------------
"I give to the needy...and not the greedy!"

"Mm hm that's right!"

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 9:42am
I feel your pain, OP
Don't do craigslist anymore hun.
But yea, the job market in Canada is not what they would have you believe.
Try indeed.com, workopolis, careerbuilder.
Even jobbank has many scam companies. Be careful and good luck. I hope you find a position soon.

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 9:43am
You remixed the script after they specifically told you that you were on probation...

Made it seem like you can't/won't follow directions from the jump.

Posted By: Derri
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 9:46am
And yes, you should have followed the script. If the script didn't make sense, then speaking to a supervisor and letting them know that this is gramaticallly incorrect, or incomprehensible etc would have been the best option.

I have called people out on their horribly worded job applications before, and got the job probably because I sh*tted on them and they had their tails between their legs.

Posted By: creole booty
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 11:00am
Did u ask them why they were firing u?

-------------
i lost all my baby weight: )

Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 11:06am
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

call center scripts are not a suggestion. they are mandatory. when the calls are monitored by QA, they're looking to see if you use the correct opening script, closing script, and whatever they require in the middle. 

As far as I know with the call centers I've worked at we didn't have to follow their script word for word. Either way I'm wondering why they were taking calls after being there only three days anyway

Posted By: Babydoll9163
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 11:20am
What makes the company a scam? Were you not paid?

It ain't a scam if they fired you for not following directions Confused

-------------
Stupid ppl are like a unicorn. They too do not exist. They are just liberated... liberated from knowledge. -nycdiva

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 11:28am
Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

As far as I know with the call centers I've worked at we didn't have to follow their script word for word. Either way I'm wondering why they were taking calls after being there only three days anyway

We could make changes such as how may I assist you versus how may I help you, or may I have the reason for your call today
However, I was training for 4 weeks before I even touched a phone

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 11:34am
LMAO@ Nala's lyin ass!!

(at least I hope she is)

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 11:34am
Dang girl. It was probably one of those fly by night companies. I was hired at a company that solicited for donations. Manager was ripping pages out of the phone book for us to randomly call folks for money. Your check was based on the amount of the donation. I gently asked what time lunch was and hauled arse without ever looking back!!

-------------
Russell hired me to police those who STAR these non-sensical threads!!!He said I should feel free to point them out!!

Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

LMAO@ Nala's lyin ass!!

(at least I hope she is)

I ain't lyin. If you live in Georgia, there's a call center in Duluth, and ain't none of them educated in there. All deys got is some raggedy mexicans supervising people like me. So you know the scripts were gonna sound stupid. And I'd rather people not automatically assume I'm black and ghetto when I call on the phone and say, "Hello, my name is Nala! I bes callin you today......"Confused

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 11:49am

Oh no Melly ... in one of your threads a while ago I told you to pm me about a job!!!!  

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 11:55am
there's a legit call center that I know of, they are always looking for people

but I can't remember the name, I'll look it up

you just graduated ... maybe you can find something more in line with your goals ... what is your specialty?

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 11:56am
CL isn't bad.  i got my first job out of undergrad from CL and was there for 2 years.  i was essentially a paralegal

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 12:08pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Dang girl. It was probably one of those fly by night companies. I was hired at a company that solicited for donations. Manager was ripping pages out of the phone book for us to randomly call folks for money. Your check was based on the amount of the donation. I gently asked what time lunch was and hauled arse without ever looking back!!

I don't blame you! That's bootleg as hell. I have horrible experiences working at call centers.

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 2:17pm
I once got a job at the Interviewing Service of Amerca company which is a market research/tele-surveying company.

Hon, don't even feel bad. Those companies have a high turnout rate because that job is seriously difficult. That job is seriously difficult because NOBODY WANTS TO BE CALLED ON THEIR PHONE TO BE ADVERTISED TO IN ANY WAY! LOL

I lasted a month before I got fired! You know your job sucks when you feel RELIEVED to be fired!

-------------

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 2:19pm
Originally posted by Derri Derri wrote:

I feel your pain, OP
Don't do craigslist anymore hun.
But yea, the job market in Canada is not what they would have you believe.
Try indeed.com, workopolis, careerbuilder.
Even jobbank has many scam companies. Be careful and good luck. I hope you find a position soon.

Thiiiiis. Craigslist is like going to a back alley late at night expecting a Prince Charming!

-------------

Posted By: sugabanana
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 2:21pm

LMAO@ Nala's lyin ass!!

(at least I hope she is)

I ain't lyin. If you live in Georgia, there's a call center in Duluth, and ain't none of them educated in there. All deys got is some raggedy mexicans supervising people like me. So you know the scripts were gonna sound stupid. And I'd rather people not automatically assume I'm black and ghetto when I call on the phone and say, "Hello, my name is Nala! I bes callin you today......"Confused

DEATH!!! That place is still open??? I had a interview there when I first moved to GA and when I got there for the interview I was shocked and pissed I wasted my time. I didn't even stay for the interview. I left after looking at the staff.

-------------
Russell hired me to police those who STAR these non-sensical threads!!!He said I should feel free to point them out!!

Posted By: miana79
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 2:30pm

Please don't look for jobs on craig's list and expect to make a career out of it!

Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

LMAO@ Nala's lyin ass!!

(at least I hope she is)

DEATH!!! That place is still open??? I had a interview there when I first moved to GA and when I got there for the interview I was shocked and pissed I wasted my time. I didn't even stay for the interview. I left after looking at the staff.

If your talking about the Myer's Group, yeah they're still openThumbs Down. The first day I came for my interview, I waited in the front for an hour until one of the janitor people found me and led me through the back door. He told me there's no point in going through the front desk because the people who work their are never there doing their stinkin job.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 2:40pm
Duluth Craigslist is flooded with those suspect set you up for an interview tomorrow call center jobs. Craigslist needs a better filter.

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by miana79 miana79 wrote:

Please don't look for jobs on craig's list and expect to make a career out of it!

this isn't true. a lot of law firms hire from clist..at least in DC they do. their main audience are recent college grads who likely wont stay for more than 3 years

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Posted By: BoutThatLife
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 3:18pm
Cl? You lucky that was a real job and not a scam to steal your information

-------------
I AM THE AUTHOR OF MY OWN SCRIPT AND I PLAY BY MY RULES.

POSITIVITY + LOVE AND ALL GOOD THINGS SURROUND ME

Posted By: honeyb87
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 6:13pm

LMAO@ Nala's lyin ass!!

(at least I hope she is)

LMAO......imagine doing that in your "valley girl"/customer service phone voice!! LOLCry

-------------
Going through a quarter life crisis. Judge me if you will. No fcks will be given though.

Don't call a b*tch a b*tch unless you like the b*tch

Posted By: honeyb87
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 6:18pm
There are so many job scams on Craigslist...it's sad how people take advantage of those in search of stable employment. I ran into plenty of them, especially so called marketing firms. Lesson- if it's too good to be true, then it is Ouch

I remember an article about some crooks scamming these men through craigslist, stating that they had a farm job opening but they ended up murdering the men who came out for an "interview."

-------------
Going through a quarter life crisis. Judge me if you will. No fcks will be given though.

Don't call a b*tch a b*tch unless you like the b*tch

Posted By: Addicted19034
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 6:34pm
Yea be wary of craigslist

Posted By: keelolo1
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 6:49pm
Originally posted by BoutThatLife BoutThatLife wrote:

Cl? You lucky that was a real job and not a scam to steal your information

This. I also remember applying for jobs and it never failed, after I would apply by email I would end up with a bunch of spam emails.

Print Page | Close Window