Forum Description: Discussions on Exercise
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=351179
Printed Date: Oct 17 2018 at 9:53pm

Topic: 2013 Challenge! Consistency!
Posted By: Blngmoogle
Subject: 2013 Challenge! Consistency!
Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 11:46pm
ok, so here is the situation:

I am a 24 year old college student (female in case you hadn't noticed my blinged out avatar) and I am a procrastinator.

I have no equipment, nor do I have the money to go to the gym, or purchase equipment.
If I had just stuck to my 2012 new years resolution which involved a planned method of exercise, I would not have an issue.

So here is the challenge:

using what we already know, and through the power of youtube, We will get ourselves into the habit of being consistent with working out. This does not mean working ourselves to death, but it is better to do something at least 3 times per week instead of nothing at all.

the name of the game is to be consistent! so if you are doing the gym thing, or if you are using a program, by all means, please continue!

In order to join us, please answer the following questions;

What would you like to change about yourself?

What do you like about yourself?

What is your plan of attack?

What are your current limits? for example, how many push ups/sit ups can you do?

RULES

At the very least, update us on your progress one a month. it is encouraged to change your regimen at least each month to avoid plateauing. you an even do something like increasing your push up limits each month. you can also do a daily log on the forum of your activities, or maybe you'd like to tell us why you missed a day. What stopped you, or what made you more motivated to work out that day?

everyone is welcome! I may not have much knowledge to offer, but I would like for all of us to learn from each other

Replies:
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 12:00am
oh, by the way, you don't have to show any photos if you don't want to. I am showing this one because you can see enough of my build to get the picture.

Ok, I'll begin:

fix my Low lean muscle mass ( I am picky when it comes to my protein selection. But I could demolish an entire 12 inch philly cheesesteak sub if i had one! )

my annoying upper stomach pouch.... I love fast food, so that is where it all goesConfused

My endurance sucks! I can''t run too far, but I could walk forever!

everything else. I like my build, and I want to stay that same size, just a more toned version.

I will begin with what I know. I have no equipment, or gym money, so I will begin with the basics:

push ups, sit ups, crunches, leg lifts, walks,isometrics etc. throughout the year, I will find some other ways to do at home exercise and I will share them.

What are your current limits? for example, how many push ups/sit ups can you do?

about 270 crunches, 10 half push ups, 15 seconds of plank isometrics, I can sprint for 10 seconds (when I am chasing the bus!) and I can walk about 3 miles. I have never tried jogging, but maybe I can get farther.

I will begin early tomorrow and see how far I get. A minimum of 3 days per week is a good start.

Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 12:03am

Posted By: Cherry89
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 8:44am
AM in! I am a college student too! I have stop working out completely. ( Im a health nut!) I need to get back on track. I can post starting pics too. I have had babies (twins too, so the stomach miight be on the saggy side, lol!)

Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 8:56am
What would you like to change about yourself? I'm 181, my goal is to reach 130lbs. The lowest I ever weighed was 145-150lbs. I want a more leaner physique, more endurance, and more muscle, ( not alot, just enough for a feminine feel)

What do you like about yourself? My hair and legs! LOL

What is your plan of attack? I don't have any equipment ether, So I will be using the insanity set, home exercises. I also stay in Georgia right by Stone Mountain, So I ll be walking up and around it which is 5 miles each.. I also have some Jillian Micheal dvds I can through in there!

Don't know yet, I can do the fitness test on insanity after Thanksgiving!

Posted By: scox89
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 10:42am
I'm in!
What would you like to change about yourself? 1'm 154 and would like to be 125 toned

What do you like about yourself? My FACE! and my hair lol

What is your plan of attack? I have insanity.. but i may try p90x instead. I'll also rotate with power walks/jogs on the days i don't feel like doing anything

What are your current limits? My mental endurance is limited. I'm strong already from using insanity, but i get mentally fatigued :(

Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 11:58am
Originally posted by scox89 scox89 wrote:

I'm in!
What would you like to change about yourself? 1'm 154 and would like to be 125 toned

What do you like about yourself? My FACE! and my hair lol

What is your plan of attack? I have insanity.. but i may try p90x instead. I'll also rotate with power walks/jogs on the days i don't feel like doing anything

What are your current limits? My mental endurance is limited. I'm strong already from using insanity, but i get mentally fatigued :(

Awww we should do insanity together, lol.. I havent went pass the fitness test dvd, and Ive had it for 6-7 months now.... shame on me!

Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 12:03pm

Posted By: dOLLish.
Date Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 5:22pm
I would like to join this challenge! Smile

What would you like to change about yourself? I want to be healthy. I want to be toned and lean. I want to be able to walk up a flight of steps without getting winded.

What do you like about yourself? Good question. LOL I guess I would have to agree with the other poster that listed her hair and legs.

What is your plan of attack? Like everyone else, I do not have access to the gym. I am a full-time grad. student - other than class, I do not have the time to go anywhere. Thus, I plan to do my workouts at home. I have a number of different exercise videos. I also plan to eat better.

What are your current limits? for example, how many push ups/sit ups can you do? Kimbella posted some workout thing on her twitter. I can do those (and only those). If I push myself, I can do 50 crunches, but that is it.

Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 2:53pm
Lol! I am doing mountain running in the latter PM, I'm also starting my master cleanse fast starting Monday

Posted By: ThatGurlD
Date Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 1:13am
I'd like to be more cut.  I'd like to be more explosive and also increase my cardio stamina.  

I like my curves.  I like my muscle memory.  

Jillian Michaels' Extreme Shed and Shred (tomorrow will be my first day) to lose some excess pounds and cut up a bit for month one with 2,400 calories a day.

Month two I'd like to do more of a running/Pilates mix.  I've never done a 10k and would like to make it happen.  Cut the calories down to 2,000.  

I won't think further out than that yet.

I can do 15 pushups and 150 sit ups.  

-------------
Valleys only exist between mountains. Stay down til you come up.

Date Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 1:43am
I am glad to see so many joining! Today i took a 30 minute power walk. I figured i should enjoy some of this california weather. Sundays i'll take off and relax.

Posted By: ThatGurlD
Date Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 12:52pm
I did Jillian and um .... OUCH!!  I liked it though.  It was just enough over the top to make me feel like I did something ;)

-------------
Valleys only exist between mountains. Stay down til you come up.

Posted By: luvurself
Date Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 9:04pm
I'm in!
What would I change? My focus! I get excited and go hardcore, but I don't stick with it after 2 months or so :( I want wash board abs! I did good the summer but now I've been slacking

What do I like? My legs and my quads and calf muscles

My plan? I do have a gym @ ,y apt but I don't hae the energy or time. I recently got some new Taebo and Jillian dvds I plan to alternate

I used to do Taebo when it first came out and loved it, but now I can't even do the whole tape :( I've got work to do!

Date Posted: Nov 26 2012 at 11:30am
Welcome !!

This is gonna be fun, can't wait for us to reach our goals, remember ladies CONSISTENCY is the cure! LOL

Okay going to the store tonight to get my master cleanse ingredients ;) 
Will be walking up the mountain tomorrow, and do the fit test tomorrow (insanity)

Posted By: MsAlaneous
Date Posted: Nov 26 2012 at 2:49pm
Hi Ladies!!

I'm in! I have my first goal deadline this Friday and I am far from meeting it so its time for so real action!

What would you like to change about yourself? Physically, my shape which pretty much is just getting rid of my belly. Mentally, my motivation and focus. I lose focus so quick.

What do you like about yourself? Physically, my chest and legs. Mentally, I'm easily motivated, just need to keep the motivation.

What is your plan of attack? My biggest hinderance (besides being lazy) is time because I have a 4 month old that takes up most of my time once I get home from work. My plan is to not go to bed when she does LOL. I will put her down and make sure to do at least 45 mins or cardio or 30 mins of cardio and 15-30 mins of weight training. I love to dance so I will try to do workouts focused around dance so I will enjoy it more.

What are your current limits? for example, how many push ups/sit ups can you do? I haven't done either in so long I'm not sure but I would say 20

Good luck everyone!!

Posted By: texasmami0117
Date Posted: Nov 26 2012 at 5:52pm
WOW yall sound like me. I lost 10 lbs in 2 weeks on atkins and lifting weights and then here came Thanksgiving ***roll eyes*** I'm sure I've gained it all back. I always loose focus. Maybe this will help.  

What would you like to change about yourself? My stomach pouch and arms
What do you like about yourself? My legs and backside
What is your plan of attack? Weights, squats, pilates and protein, cut out unnecessary carbs
What are your current limits? I have NO upper body strength

Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 9:54pm
I intend to start next Friday, December 7th.

I'm entering my final stretch of courses, and with that comes a ton of last minute assignments, papers, and final exam (Thumbs DownDead). I want to start when I have nothing else clouding my thoughts; that way I know that I'll really be on it.

Good luck, everyone!

Date Posted: Dec 02 2012 at 1:44pm
Well I worked out once last week, Zumba, and twice this week. Not much but it's a really good start from me. I'm super proud of myself.

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 5:02pm
Hope everyones still on trackTongue

Going mountain climbing tomorrow in the morning! I want to start my insanity, but I stay on top pf somebody, and they always b$%%# about noise (I got 3 small children, lol) But still, I don't want to aggravate them more with my heavy stomping every morning.....

Date Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 9:48pm
..... Crickets!! and cob webs!! 

Anywho, running 5 miles tomorrow.. hope you ladies are being consistent..!! ;) 

Date Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 12:35am
I pigged out today - well, yesterday I should say - as my final hoorah. Tomorrow brings a new challenge, but I'm ready to face those challenges head on.
I have to work on portion control - that's always what gets me. I guess I have to go back to logging my meals to make sure I don't slip up.

I'm ready to get this started! Good luck, everyone!

Date Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 6:33am
You go girl! you can do it!Wink Thats what this challenge here for.. to challenge you(us)
I need to keep a food journal too. I heard there are  some great apps for it. I might switch up my diet to only raw veggies, fruit, (rarely) fish and 100% wheat.. 

Posted By: morenaloca
Date Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 3:58pm
I wanna join!

I want a more toned body, especially my arms and midsection.

I like my shape. I'm pretty sure I am an hourglass.

Lots of cardio and lifting weights. I have membership at 24 hour fitness which is across the street from my school so I have no excuse not to go!!!

I can run a mile in a little less than ten minutes. I can lift 140 pounds on the leg press. I don't know about my arms Lol I can do 20 pushups and like 40 sit ups. I want to double that by summer :)

Date Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 11:13pm
^^^ I love doing cardio, and lifting weights.. I use to do a 5 mile walk around Stone Mountain in Ga at least 2-3 a week. It takes me about half an hour from start to finish. I also walk up the mountain, which have your legs on fire! Esp your calves muscles... lol

Date Posted: Dec 10 2012 at 5:44pm
I'm going to be completely honest and say that I'm having the hardest time motivating myself to start. I don't know what's wrong with me. I haven't done a single exercise (excluding walking); I haven't logged a single meal; and I haven't bothered to eat small(er) portions.
Cry

Date Posted: Dec 10 2012 at 11:50pm
^^^ Remember lady, being consistent is the key. Don't feel bad, everyones gets lazy at one point (including me). Just be confident in what you want, whatever your goals are and stay focused on it. Start slow and build up from there.  Post before and after pictures, check out body types close to the one you want and keep it on you, make reason for why you deserve a better bod and health. :)
We can do it together, lol.. Ill always post here just because Im very serious about being consistent to reach my goals in 2013; I want to get ripped and then tatted..lol.. esp by spring.. Lets flaunt or stuff girl.. WE cAN DO IT!! 

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:07am
I haven't been very consistent with my cardio but I have stayed true to a squat challenge I started on 12/1. I also added in the waist whittler. Yesterday was my first rest day. I excited that I have actually stuck with it. If I can find away to work my cardio in with it I will on a nice track for my goals.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 9:56am
^^ Hmmm, a squat challenge. Sounds fun! lol

Will start my first day of insanity Tomorrow.

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 3:01pm
Originally posted by Cherry89 Cherry89 wrote:

^^^ Remember lady, being consistent is the key. Don't feel bad, everyones gets lazy at one point (including me). Just be confident in what you want, whatever your goals are and stay focused on it. Start slow and build up from there.  Post before and after pictures, check out body types close to the one you want and keep it on you, make reason for why you deserve a better bod and health. :)
We can do it together, lol.. Ill always post here just because Im very serious about being consistent to reach my goals in 2013; I want to get ripped and then tatted..lol.. esp by spring.. Lets flaunt or stuff girl.. WE cAN DO IT!! 

Thanks. I definitely have to obtain my dream bod by the summer. Well, before my 24th birthday.

I'm going to start with light exercises tonight.

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 11:44am
LOL with the exception of the sore thighs it has been. A friend told me about it and I thought I'd give it a shot even though I hate squats. We started with 20 squats on 12/1 and add 5 squats each day until you reach 100 then it varies between 50-100. I have to admit that I don't hate squats as much now.

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 11:45am
Hi Ladies! I found this article helpful and thought it might be able to help others in their quest to be consistent.

http://www.lifehack.org/articles/productivity/18-tricks-to-make-new-habits-stick.html

18 Tricks to Make New Habits Stick

Wouldn’t it be nice to have everything run on autopilot? Chores, exercise, eating healthy and getting your work done just happening automatically. Unless they manage to invent robot servants, all your work isn’t going to disappear overnight. But if you program behaviors as new habits you can take out the struggle.

With a small amount of initial discipline, you can create a new habit that requires little effort to maintain. Here are some tips for creating new habits and making them stick:

1. Commit to Thirty Days – Three to four weeks is all the time you need to make a habit automatic. If you can make it through the initial conditioning phase, it becomes much easier to sustain. A month is a good block of time to commit to a change since it easily fits in your calendar.

2. Make it Daily – Consistency is critical if you want to make a habit stick. If you want to start exercising, go to the gym every day for your first thirty days. Going a couple times a week will make it harder to form the habit. Activities you do once every few days are trickier to lock in as habits.

3. Start Simple – Don’t try to completely change your life in one day. It is easy to get over-motivated and take on too much. If you wanted to study two hours a day, first make the habit to go for thirty minutes and build on that.

4. Remind Yourself – Around two weeks into your commitment it can be easy to forget. Place reminders to execute your habit each day or you might miss a few days. If you miss time it defeats the purpose of setting a habit to begin with.

5. Stay Consistent – The more consistent your habit the easier it will be to stick. If you want to start exercising, try going at the same time, to the same place for your thirty days. When cues like time of day, place and circumstances are the same in each case it is easier to stick.

6. Get a Buddy – Find someone who will go along with you and keep you motivated if you feel like quitting.

7. Form a Trigger – A trigger is a ritual you use right before executing your habit. If you wanted to wake up earlier, this could mean waking up in exactly the same way each morning. If you wanted to quit smoking you could practice snapping your fingers each time you felt the urge to pick up a cigarette.

8. Replace Lost Needs - If you are giving up something in your habit, make sure you are adequately replacing any needs you’ve lost. If watching television gave you a way to relax, you could take up meditation or reading as a way to replace that same need.

9. Be Imperfect – Don’t expect all your attempts to change habits to be successful immediately. It took me four independent tries before I started exercising regularly. Now I love it. Try your best, but expect a few bumps along the way.

10. Use “But” – A prominent habit changing therapist once told me this great technique for changing bad thought patterns. When you start to think negative thoughts, use the word “but” to interrupt it. “I’m no good at this, but, if I work at it I might get better later.”

11. Remove Temptation - Restructure your environment so it won’t tempt you in the first thirty days. Remove junk food from your house, cancel your cable subscription, throw out the cigarettes so you won’t need to struggle with willpower later.

12. Associate With Role Models - Spend more time with people who model the habits you want to mirror. A recent study found that having an obese friend indicated you were more likely to become fat. You become what you spend time around.

13. Run it as an Experiment - Withhold judgment until after a month has past and use it as an experiment in behavior. Experiments can’t fail, they just have different results so it will give you a different perspective on changing your habit.

14. Swish - A technique from NLP. Visualize yourself performing the bad habit. Next visualize yourself pushing aside the bad habit and performing an alternative. Finally, end that sequence with an image of yourself in a highly positive state. See yourself picking up the cigarette, see yourself putting it down and snapping your fingers, finally visualize yourself running and breathing free. Do it a few times until you automatically go through the pattern before executing the old habit.

15. Write it Down – A piece of paper with a resolution on it isn’t that important. Writing that resolution is. Writing makes your ideas more clear and focuses you on your end result.

16. Know the Benefits - Familiarize yourself with the benefits of making a change. Get books that show the benefits of regular exercise. Notice any changes in energy levels after you take on a new diet. Imagine getting better grades after improving your study habits.

17. Know the Pain – You should also be aware of the consequences. Exposing yourself to realistic information about the downsides of not making a change will give you added motivation.

18. Do it For Yourself - Don’t worry about all the things you “should” have as habits. Instead tool your habits towards your goals and the things that motivate you. Weak guilt and empty resolutions aren’t enough.

Posted By: GoldieLocks
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 11:54am
 Count my lazy behind in! LOL

What would you like to change about yourself? I want to fit into my pants without having to "suck in my tummy and lean back"

What do you like about yourself? My bottom; hair.

What is your plan of attack? I plan on eating better and trying some new vitamins (b12 and drinking at least two cups of green tea a day). Along with increasing my heart rate for at least 20 minutes a day

What are your current limits? for example, how many push ups/sit ups can you do? I can do seventy crunches if i want to hate myself the next morning. I cannot run at a steady pace more than 8 minutes LOL

Date Posted: Dec 19 2012 at 10:36am
Welcome newcomers! I have been mia for a while due to finals, but i have been fairly consistant with walking. I havent done any crunches or push ups lately but i will he more aggressive cone january

Date Posted: Dec 20 2012 at 3:41pm
I'm recovering from the flu Thumbs Down  I'm not 100% yet, but I feel about 50% better.

I haven't had much of an appetite these past few days.  I don't think I lost too much weight, but I have noticed that my pants fit baggy - too baggy for my liking.

I've also been doing this cleanse.  I'm not sure if I should be doing it while I'm sick, but I wanted to be consistent.  I noticed some change in my stomach, but not a lot of change.

I haven't drastically changed my diet; however, I did pick up some healthier alternatives to the snacks we have at my mother's.

I may have mentioned this before, but my biggest problem is portion control.  I haven't logged any meals either, because I haven't been eating too much.

Date Posted: Dec 22 2012 at 3:40am
checking in! Ive been slacking lately.. opps.. lol.. But I will make sure I get back going on Monday.. 

Date Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 2:01pm
BUMP.

Posted By: Browneyez242
Date Posted: Dec 29 2012 at 7:53pm
This is definitely what i need... i am going to try and stick  to my exercise regimen this year Ermm
What would you like to change about yurself?
I would like to slim down my tummy and tone my thighs and hips

Whay do you like about yourself?
I like my endurance, i always loved to run but could never get the "umph" to actually start lol..however once i do there is no stopping me....

What is you plan of attack? What are you current limits?
I plan to start jogging again and doing exercises to work on my target area. Don't know my current limits yet because i haven't actually started..lol but i will start creating a detail regimen which will begin 1st January,2013...

Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Dec 31 2012 at 7:21am

Too much loose skin, need to firm up

8 figure that gains muscle mass quickly and not a large stomach.

Squarts, kicks, cardio, weights.

I can lift 180 clean

Date Posted: Jan 01 2013 at 8:31pm
I guess I'm much more out of shape than I thought. I attempted this workout I swipped from Kimbella's twitter page and I could only get through the first four exercises before I had to take a break. Cry

I guess this journey is going to be a lot more difficult than I thought it would be.

Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 4:50am
I'll get easier as you do it. Don't push yourself or you'll get hurt. Do what you can right now Dollish.

Ok, so I did
20 squats
30 deadlifts
20 push-ups
10 min jogging
40 bicep curls
20 crunches
20 reverse crunches

I work out 3 times a week so this is just my update for this day. I'll try to post once a month.

Posted By: Star007
Date Posted: Jan 02 2013 at 6:19pm
Hey all..hope I can still join this challenge...

What would you like to change about yourself? Definitely my stomach area, arms, back and thighs (they’ve always been big but now theyre super jiggly, I want them toned!)

What do you like about yourself? My hair and lips

What is your plan of attack? Cardio 3-5 times a week as well as body weight exercises

What are your current limits? for example, how many push ups/sit ups can you do? Haven’t done any since October L but the last time I did them I did 45 push ups and 50 sit ups. I ran 1.5 miles in 13:30. I’ll update tomorrow with how many sit ups/push ups I can do as of right now.

Date Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 11:47pm
Today i did a few laps around campus. Tomorrow ill tackle pushups and situps

Date Posted: Jan 04 2013 at 2:04pm
2hr walking..I am beat for the weekend

Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 4:30am
100 girlie-push ups, 50 crunches, 50 reverse crunches, 10 min jogging (I hate running), 20 supermans, 100 Butt Lifts -Bridge, 100 tricep lifts(?).

-------------

Date Posted: Mar 08 2013 at 4:53pm
I started Insanity last night.  I had trouble with the fitness test and couldn't make it past the third exercise. Confused  I was super sore, but tried the fitness test again with my step-brother.  I still didn't do well, however, I was able to make it to the fourth exercise. Party  Baby steps.
I'm going to try to stay consistent with this.  I'm almost sure that it's going to take more than 60 days to complete the routine, but I'm going to keep at it until I finish. 
I'm tired of being out of shape.

Print Page | Close Window