Print Page | Close Window

HARDCore Protective Style Challenge - Part Deux

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Hair Care
Forum Name: Hair Growth
Forum Description: Hair Growth issues, solutions, and discussions.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=351178
Printed Date: Dec 18 2017 at 9:00am

Topic: HARDCore Protective Style Challenge - Part Deux
Posted By: Heavy Rotation
Subject: HARDCore Protective Style Challenge - Part Deux
Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 11:46pm
Hi, Ladies!

This challenge is the second part of the HARDCore protective style challenge that ended in May.  Those of us who participated in that challenge retained a lot of length, met our goals, had fun getting to know each other and participating in the challenge, and we want to do it again.

Okay, let me warn you again: this challenge is not for the faint of heart.  Wink  

This is a challenge for those who will wear Protective Styles from 
January 1 to June 30, 2013.  For this Challenge, "Protective Styles" mean twists, braids, wigs, or weaves....basically, your hair must be twisted or braided (underneath).  You can also do buns, but you cannot wear gelled buns or buns with "tight" bands (that pull on your edges) the entire time you are bunning during the challenge.

This is a challenge for those with tons of discipline (or who want to develop it) when it comes to their hair in order to grow it to longer lengths!

I'm trying to hit MBL by August, 2013 so I need to go hardcore on this one. Ouch

Here are the Rules for this Challenge:

1. You must check in to this Challenge at least once per week. 
2. You must post pics of your progress, Protective Style, or just to do show and tell, at least once per month.
3. When changing Protective Styles on your own hair, you are allowed 3-4 days of wearing your hair "out," but your hair must be in an updo/high pony/bun style at least 2 of those days.  Those wearing extensions can have a longer time between installs, but must wear their hair in an updo/high pony/bun style at least 3/4 of the time that their own hair is out.
4. You cannot comb your own hair more than twice per week.
5. You must develop/have a moisturizing regimen for your hair while in the PS.
6. You cannot trim your hair, unless you have a reason (e.g., split or weathered ends).
7. You cannot use direct heat more than 4 times during the Challenge.
**8. You must encourage the other participants in the challenge.  We're all in it to win it.** Smile

If you do not comply with the above...you will get the boot. Embarrassed

Told you this was hardcore! LOL

To join, please give the following information and upload your starting pic (BEFORE JANUARY 1):

Hair Goal for June, 2013:
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed):
PS of Choice:
Detailed Regimen while in PS:
Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment:
Favorite Product:

To make this Challenge really meaningful, I think that we should limit the participants to ~15.  Max of~20.

Okay, so, who is with me for this Challenge? Big smile

-------------
Natural Hair Girls do it curled up.

Replies:
Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 11:48pm
I am so excited to do this challenge again, ladies!  

Post that info!  I am going to post mine later today/tomorrow.

Happy Thanksgiving, all!

-------------

Posted By: Cherry89
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 12:57am
AM IM!! Yay, Ive been waiting for someone to start another Protective challenge. Thats actually what Ive been wanting to do.. I was going to do it for a year, but 6 months sounds more realistic!!

Hair Goal for June, 2013: WSL
Current Length and State of Hair: Relaxed
PS of Choice: Buns, buns, and more buns!! (99.99% Wet Buns)
Detailed Regimen while in PS: Lots of cowashing every 2-3 days, deep condition once a week, moisturize and seal daily.
Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: dryness
Favorite Product: Castor Oil/Sulfur/Vo5 Cheapies

Posted By: bajanbklyngirl
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 11:52am
I really needed this challenge

Natural hair full SL fully stretched
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed): Currently transitioning but will be natural by the start of the challenge
PS of Choice: Buns, Bantu Knots
Detailed Regimen while in PS: Deep condition once a week, moisturize daily; clarify & protein treatment once a month
Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: SSK's but I think I'm learning to live with them
Favorite Product: Don't really have one, I guess I will have a better answer to when my natural hair tells me

-------------
30 Month Transition
BC Date: 12/7/12

~SL~APL~BSL~MBL

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An2guFmfaZl6dGNDeWhMNDNLakxkMzdCWVB1LU5wUUE" rel="nofollow - Challenge

Posted By: CiaNichole
Date Posted: Nov 22 2012 at 5:45pm
Im excited for this challenge

Hair Goal for June, 2013: midback
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed): grazing bra strap and natural
PS of Choice: twist, flat twist, and buns
Detailed Regimen while in PS: mosturize with a leave in every morning and night. cowash once a week shampoo once a month
Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: breakage
Favorite Product: anything with shea butter or argan oil

Posted By: KunoichiNindroid
Date Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 3:00am
YES YES YES!!! I'm so ready for a challenge like this. I'm getting a touch up this weekend and braiding my hair in December. SIGN ME UP!!! Been waiting for something like this!

Hair Goal for June 2013: BSL
Current length and state of hair: Relaxed SL or CBL (I have lots of new growth)
PS of choice: Box braids with synthetic hair, buns
Detailed regimen: Moisturize daily with water, glycerin, castor oil and ACV spritz, wash hair once a week, deep condition every 2 weeks, apply castor oil to scalp twice a week, apply castor oil to edges daily or every 2 days.
Biggest hair issue ATM: Protein sensitivity
Favorite product: None :(
*Growth aids: Castor oil, Valupak HSN vitamins, B-complex

*I don't use growth aids but I want to try and get as much growth as I can these next months. Putting them up there will remind me to be on top of my game. I hope nobody minds \(^w^)/
I'll add my pic after I retouch my hair

-------------
http://alterna-tickers.com" rel="nofollow">
www.hairgeekly.com" rel="nofollow - www.hairgeekly.com

Date Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 7:24am
Hi, ladies!  Welcome!!!

I tried to edit my post to put your names in as participants, but, alas, the new BHM be acKin' funny!  So, I will keep tally in a separate post and then when Jan 1 rolls around, I will put names on a list and we will use that as our participant list.  

@cherry89 - i love jbco!  it's like the GOAT oil for me.  which Vo5 conditioners do you love?  I am trying to use them to detangle because they are so cheap, but want to see which might have the most slip.  the ones i used sort of felt like water and were not enough to detangle w/.

@bajanbklyngirl - 29 months!?  congrats!  that is a looong transition.  transitioners ruuuule! :-)  do you wear your hair in ps's a lot?  i have found that wearing my hair in twists cut down dramatically on my ssk's.  keep us posted on your bc!

@cianichole - you and i have the same goal, are both natural, and have the same starting length so i am going to enjoy catching up on your protective styles too!  when did you go natural?  and which argan oil do you use? i want to try the pure oil, but do not know where to get it!

@kunoichinindroid - i am protein sensitive too.  i use a light protein spray after each weekly wash (the apogee green tea spray).  i think it works well.  what are the proportions in your moisturizing spritz?  i am in the process of creating a new one.

Let's get it, ladies!! 

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 8:17am
Hair Goal for June, 2013: Grazing MBL 
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed): Natural; ~BSL 
PS of Choice: small, mini, and medium size twists
1. Cleanse (Weekly)
steam with pre-poo of coconut/olive oil blend
shampoo with my homemade poo (castile soap, water, jbco, glycerin, avg, EOs) or sheamoisture shampoos
"clarify" with bent clay mix every 1-2 months
2. Condition (After each Cleanse)
DC weekly w/ one of the following: sheamoisture dt masque, as i am hydration elation dc, aubrey organics honeysuckle rose, or homemade dc.
3. Moisturize
spritz with aphogee protein restructurizing green tea spray after each Cleanse
use darcy botanicals, my homemade spritz (water, glycerin, EOs, JBCO, avg, lime juice), or sheamoisture dt masque as a leave in after each Cleanse
Twist with mix of my homemade butter (shea and mango butters, JBCO, jojoba EOs, vit. e) or jc's nourish and shine and jbco.

Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: minimizing frizz when doing all of the above since i keep these twists in for about 1 month at a time.
Favorite Product: JBCO...and the as i am dc is slowly creeping up!

Here is my starting pic: 

-------------

Posted By: khivey
Date Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 8:36am
Count me in. I've been doing this on my own since March 2012 by wearing my own hair in box braids. I re-braid it every 3 weeks. It would be nice to be a part of a challenge as I near one year in a consistent protective style (will be the longest for me).

Ok, so
Hair Goal for June, 2013: Full BSL
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed): SBL and natural
PS of Choice: box braids (no extensions)
Detailed Regimen while in PS: while in braids: co-wash 1c a week, oil scalp with olive oil, refresh my scalp with a cucumber facial toner after gym workouts, shampoo the second week having my braids in and oil scalp with olive oil.
After 3rd week: Take braids down, wash, deep condition while sitting under hood dryer, oil scalp
Rebraid same day
Repeat every 3 weeks.
Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: my hair grows slow
Favorite Product: cucumber facial toner for my scalp

-------------
Hair Type:3c/4a
Hair Length:SBL
“The approval of others often forms an essential part of our capacity to think we are right.”

Date Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 10:23am
welcome, khivey!  i am always so impressed with the ladies who rock box braids on their own hair.  how long does it take to put them in and how long to take down? they are so cute, but i barely have the time needed to put in mini twists!

And ladies, remember that we each need a starting pic to mark where we are in the challenge.  i doubt my length will change much from the pic between now and jan so i am going to use the pic above as mine.   

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 11:40am
[QUOTE=Heavy Rotation]
Hi, ladies!  Welcome!!!

@cherry89 - i love jbco!  it's like the GOAT oil for me.  which Vo5 conditioners do you love?  I am trying to use them to detangle because they are so cheap, but want to see which might have the most slip.  the ones i used sort of felt like water and were not enough to detangle w/.

[/QUOTE

I have the regular castor oil, I haven't used the jbco. This is actually my first time really using castor oil and it has been the bomb! ( been using on my eyelashes and brows and it has done wonders..lol) I heard jbco was really good too, but more expensive.  I also love the milkshake Vo5, those are the best to me I love using the strawberry milkshake kind, but they are always out everywhere I go, lol. So I usually get the one of the other flavors.. I like the fact that they are cheap, and with my co-washing habit, it fits right into my budget. As far as the detangle conditioner, Ors Replenishing pack is REALLY GOOD, I think its like a $1 for 1 application (pack) in the beauty stores. I usually use it when I relax, because it comes in the Ors relaxer box. But when I do use it, my hair detangles soooo easily, and is so soft and moist afterwards!

Date Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 11:53am
Originally posted by Heavy Rotation Heavy Rotation wrote:

welcome, khivey!  i am always so impressed with the ladies who rock box braids on their own hair.  how long does it take to put them in and how long to take down? they are so cute, but i barely have the time needed to put in mini twists!

And ladies, remember that we each need a starting pic to mark where we are in the challenge.  i doubt my length will change much from the pic between now and jan so i am going to use the pic above as mine.   

Thanks!
In the beginning, I was making them small and it took me about 2 hours or so. To take them down around the same time depending. After about 5 months, I decided to make them bigger..so they are medium sized and they take me just under an hour to do and the take down is quicker as well.
I am able to throw some bobby pins in them for a cute updo if I want to make them fancy..otherwise I rock them in a ponytail or bun.

I will post a pic of where I am before January:)

-------------
“The approval of others often forms an essential part of our capacity to think we are right.”

Date Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 12:45pm

Hi, ladies!  Welcome!!!

I tried to edit my post to put your names in as participants, but, alas, the new BHM be acKin' funny!  So, I will keep tally in a separate post and then when Jan 1 rolls around, I will put names on a list and we will use that as our participant list.  

@bajanbklyngirl - 29 months!?  congrats!  that is a looong transition.  transitioners ruuuule! :-)  do you wear your hair in ps's a lot?  i have found that wearing my hair in twists cut down dramatically on my ssk's.  keep us posted on your bc!

@cianichole - you and i have the same goal, are both natural, and have the same starting length so i am going to enjoy catching up on your protective styles too!  when did you go natural?  and which argan oil do you use? i want to try the pure oil, but do not know where to get it!

@kunoichinindroid - i am protein sensitive too.  i use a light protein spray after each weekly wash (the apogee green tea spray).  i think it works well.  what are the proportions in your moisturizing spritz?  i am in the process of creating a new one.

Let's get it, ladies!! 

I was natural all my life (in the sense tht i nvr  had a relaxer) but i had my hair consistently done by a professional. I stopped going to the salon on May 29 2012. So i can say thats when i started my healthy hair journey. It's been FULL of set backs but 6 months later and i finally think i got it right :) I use the one n only argan oil to seal my leave ins and i tell u it has worked miracles on my hair, i even tested to see if it was the argan oil keeping my hair so soft and moisturized by trying different oils and no oils and i tell you, it defiantly was the agan oil, i dnt know to much about pure argan but i would love to get my hands on some  

I will be posting my starting pic mid december

Posted By: BaddieMiyn
Date Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 6:53pm
Hair Goal for June, 2013: APL
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed): I went natural Oct 2009 then cut my hair again because I liked the low caesar look, so I've been Natural and growing since  Jan 2010, current length is A Lil below Collar Bone.
PS of Choice: Full Head Weaves
Detailed Regimen while in PS: Change weave 4 to 6 weeks, apply JBCO & Coconut oil for moisture, No Heat. No Trim. Wash and deep condition when I change weaves. I will also let my hair rest for a week in between styles. 
Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: Dryness and Retaining length
Favorite Product: Shea moisture everything lol, JBCO & Coconut oil.

I'm joining because I have slow growing hair so I'm hoping this will help me not stress over growth (Out of sight out of mind) And also I just didn't know what to do with my hair at this length, style wise so why not protective style. Good Luck Ladies!

Date Posted: Nov 23 2012 at 9:14pm

@bajanbklyngirl - 1. 29 months!?  congrats!  that is a looong transition.  transitioners ruuuule! :-)  2. do you wear your hair in ps's a lot?  3. i have found that wearing my hair in twists cut down dramatically on my ssk's.  4. keep us posted on your bc!

1. Yeah, sometimes I can't believe that I have been transitioning this long, lol.

2. I almost always wear my hair in buns and I bantu my hair every night.

3. Thanks, I'll def. try that

4. Will do

-------------
30 Month Transition

~SL~APL~BSL~MBL

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An2guFmfaZl6dGNDeWhMNDNLakxkMzdCWVB1LU5wUUE" rel="nofollow - Challenge

Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 1:11pm
Originally posted by BaddieMiyn BaddieMiyn wrote:

Hair Goal for June, 2013: APL
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed): I went natural Oct 2009 then cut my hair again because I liked the low caesar look, so I've been Natural and growing since  Jan 2010, current length is A Lil below Collar Bone.
PS of Choice: Full Head Weaves
Detailed Regimen while in PS: Change weave 4 to 6 weeks, apply JBCO & Coconut oil for moisture, No Heat. No Trim. Wash and deep condition when I change weaves. I will also let my hair rest for a week in between styles. 
Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: Dryness and Retaining length
Favorite Product: Shea moisture everything lol, JBCO & Coconut oil.

I'm joining because I have slow growing hair so I'm hoping this will help me not stress over growth (Out of sight out of mind) And also I just didn't know what to do with my hair at this length, style wise so why not protective style. Good Luck Ladies!

YES, out of sight out of mind is true. when i wear my protective styles i don't focus so much on length but health, and by the time i take my hair down it has grown so much i can barely believe it.  But when i wear my hair out or straight, i think i check it's length everyday lol

Btw, great progress, i love to see people who grew there hair out from twa's. it inspires me :)

Posted By: BaddieMiyn
Date Posted: Nov 24 2012 at 1:59pm
Originally posted by CiaNichole CiaNichole wrote:

Originally posted by BaddieMiyn BaddieMiyn wrote:

YES, out of sight out of mind is true. when i wear my protective styles i don't focus so much on length but health, and by the time i take my hair down it has grown so much i can barely believe it.  But when i wear my hair out or straight, i think i check it's length everyday lol

Btw, great progress, i love to see people who grew there hair out from twa's. it inspires me :)

Thanx I was feeling down about my progress because I see so many ppl with so much growth. I hope this protective style challenge works for me.

Date Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 9:13am
hi, ladies!  happy sunday!  :-)  thanks for answering all of my questions!

i am still here in my small twists - i plan on keeping them in for about a month.  i seriously don't know what i would do without these things.  i am going to wash today...i am going to try my normal wash day routine on these twists and see what happens....hopefully i don't end up in FrizzVille!  wish me luck!

@cherry - i use it on my eyebrows too!  i def see a diff.

@cia - ah, you are def selling me on the argan oil!

@baddie - welcome!  i see a LOT of growth in those pics!  i think pictures say so much.  keeping a hair journey in pics is such a good idea.

-------------

Posted By: runrunrunner
Date Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 4:22pm

im in again!  i was in the last challenge, but since i got sick...i ended up falling off, but this time...i.will.KICK.butt! haha 

im actually putting mini twists in my hair right now.  i'll post pictures in a couple of weeks when these come out! 

Hair Goal for June, 2013:    i have decided that i dont want to set any goals other than being consistent in my regimen and being more careful with my hair. 
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed):  back = a little past apl.  natural haired.
PS of Choice: twists and the every once in a while braid set
Detailed Regimen while in PS: condition wash twice a week, 1 regular condition wash and 1 with a dc, protein once or twice a week (hydrolyzed keratin spray before moisturizing after wash), wear hair with ends up and away most of the time, moisturize & seal using LOC method w/ whatever conditioner/leave-in/moisturizer i choose to use & oils/shea moisture head-to-toe baby ointment.
Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment:  hmmm, probably ssks and my own impatience
Favorite Product:  i dunno...

Posted By: mskraizy
Date Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 9:42pm
Heavy, I'm so in this challenge! I'm trying to get my hair good and healthy and long by my fifth nappyversary in April! =)

Pushing for MBL with thicker, healthier ends
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed): Natural
PS of Choice: I'm gonna be doing a lot of alternating, but I'm gonna try to keep it between marley twists, yarn braids, and bunned twist sets.
Detailed Regimen while in PS: mist with water and oil//massage scalp daily, wash and deep condition weekly (diluted)....I think that's it.

When wearing loose hair (or like my hair in twists), same regimen but I deep condition first, detangle, then shampoo in twists, moisturize and seal and set my hair in twists. Basically. Then every night (or every other night), I mist with water, coat in garnier fructis sleek & shine leave in, then seal and massage my scalp with oil.

Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: My freakin ENDS! But they're getting better, slowly but surely.
Favorite Product: Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Leave In. I use this stuff for EVERYTHING!

Be back with a pic later. ♥

-------------
"We're all in the same game, just different levels...
Dealing with the same hell, just different devils..."

Check me out at
http://uncommitedcoils.wordpress.com

Date Posted: Nov 26 2012 at 7:02pm
Im having trouble with posting a pic. how to i post pictures? 

Posted By: darlinnic
Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 7:03am

Go to tinypic.com and upload your pic to the website then copy the code for message board and past in your post

Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 1:50pm
Originally posted by darlinnic darlinnic wrote:

Go to tinypic.com and upload your pic to the website then copy the code for message board and past in your post

Here is my starting pic

Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 1:51pm
Thank You darlinnic. I was having trouble but now i got it

Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by runrunrunner runrunrunner wrote:

im in again!  i was in the last challenge, but since i got sick...i ended up falling off, but this time...i.will.KICK.butt! haha 

im actually putting mini twists in my hair right now.  i'll post pictures in a couple of weeks when these come out! 

Hair Goal for June, 2013:    i have decided that i dont want to set any goals other than being consistent in my regimen and being more careful with my hair. 
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed):  back = a little past apl.  natural haired.
PS of Choice: twists and the every once in a while braid set
Detailed Regimen while in PS: condition wash twice a week, 1 regular condition wash and 1 with a dc, protein once or twice a week (hydrolyzed keratin spray before moisturizing after wash), wear hair with ends up and away most of the time, moisturize & seal using LOC method w/ whatever conditioner/leave-in/moisturizer i choose to use & oils/shea moisture head-to-toe baby ointment.
Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment:  hmmm, probably ssks and my own impatience
Favorite Product:  i dunno...

adding a picture now. 

photo taken november 18, 2012

Posted By: NoleLady12
Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 2:17pm
Hair Goal for June, 2013: MBL
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed): BSL; Relaxed
PS of Choice: Weaves (U-Parts)
Detailed Regimen while in PS: Wash and deep condition 2-3x monthly; moisturize and seal with a thick, creamy moisturizer and JBCO before braiding hair for u-part install. Buns in between installs.
Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: None really--my hair is the healthiest it's ever been thanks to protective styling! I'm just greedy and want stupid long hair LOL
Favorite Product: Jamaican Black Castor Oil, hands-down!!!

I'll post my starting picture before January 1.

Posted By: naynay455
Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 3:33pm
I'm IN. (cant believe i almost missed this).

Hair Goal for June, 2013: Full MBL by june 2013
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed): BSL 4a/b Natural
PS of Choice: twists,flat twists
Detailed Regimen while in PS: M&S at least every other day. head massages at least 4x a week. either wash hair or dry DC > cowash on take down.
Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: SSK/ spit ends. mostly rectified last night with a good trim.
Favorite Product: coconut oil.

WILL POST STARTING PIC 12/27/12

-------------

http://www.TickerFactory.com/" rel="nofollow - [img http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10301;88/st/20130428/e/kinky+twists+take+down/k/a7e4/blk-event.png[/img -

Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by mskraizy mskraizy wrote:

Heavy, I'm so in this challenge! I'm trying to get my hair good and healthy and long by my fourth nappyversary in April! =)

Pushing for MBL with thicker, healthier ends
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed): Natural
PS of Choice: I'm gonna be doing a lot of alternating, but I'm gonna try to keep it between marley twists, yarn braids, and bunned twist sets.
Detailed Regimen while in PS: mist with water and oil//massage scalp daily, wash and deep condition weekly (diluted)....I think that's it.

When wearing loose hair (or like my hair in twists), same regimen but I deep condition first, detangle, then shampoo in twists, moisturize and seal and set my hair in twists. Basically. Then every night (or every other night), I mist with water, coat in garnier fructis sleek & shine leave in, then seal and massage my scalp with oil.

Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: My freakin ENDS! But they're getting better, slowly but surely.
Favorite Product: Garnier Fructis Sleek & Shine Leave In. I use this stuff for EVERYTHING!

Be back with a pic later. ♥

Got my pitcha and I'm actually quite shocked! Considering the pretty decent trim I did back in October, i did not expect my hair to stretch this far down! So I'm very excited and pleased!

Some other things Imma need ya'll to know:

It's likely (but not completely possible) that I will do a flat ironing for my fourth nappyversary in April. I'll try not to do a trim, but I did plan on doing it in April. But if I don't NEED it, I'll try to hold off until the end of the challenge.

That's it! I'm game ya'll!

-------------

Check me out at

Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 7:45pm
@runrun - hiiii!!! *waving* how have you been, girl?!  i am looking forward to seeing your mini twists. :-)

@ms.kraizy - woot!  welcome!! i love seeing your mini twists too!  in terms of products, do you have a preference for no cone, cones, etc. or do you just do what works? and if you use one of your flat iron passes, you have to show us the anniversary pics, kk? :-)

@cia - pretty hurr!

@nolelady - welcome!  another jbco lady!  where do you get your u-parts?

@naynay - welcome!!  those scalp massages are the truth, aren't they?

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 8:07pm
hi, ladies!  i hope you all had a great day today!

i rocked my mini twists in a bun with a part down the middle today.  it is freezing cold here so i am seriously loving putting my twists in buns.  i am trying out different moisturizers to see what works best.  this experimenting is kind of fun!

in other news, i got a lot of stuff on crazy sale on black friday - darcy's botanicals, koils by nature, purabodynaturals, and shescentit.  plus, there was a huge sale on jbco - $6.99 for 8 ounces! needless to say, i stocked up.  does anyone use anything from these lines?

did anyone else take advantage of black friday/cyber monday deals?

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 8:23pm

im doing well!  it's good to be back in this! 

i'll snap a picture of my twists before the week is over!  it'll most likely be up in some kind of style.  been wearing them bunned in different ways. 

Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 10:25pm
@heavy: you are absolutely right especially when all i have to do is put on my head gear and press a button and enjoy for however long i wish.

ok ladies so i stayed up last night putting twists in my hair and also gave my ends a good 1-2 inch trim. here's a pic of how it looks with fresh ends.

-------------

http://www.TickerFactory.com/" rel="nofollow - [img http://tickers.TickerFactory.com/ezt/d/4;10301;88/st/20130428/e/kinky+twists+take+down/k/a7e4/blk-event.png[/img -

Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 10:48pm
^^^^ love those twists, naynay!  do you make your parts with a comb or do you finger part?  and what is this head gear of which you speak??!

-------------

Posted By: NoleLady12
Date Posted: Nov 27 2012 at 10:53pm

Hi!!! I make all my u-parts myself.

Date Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 10:46am

@runrun - hiiii!!! *waving* how have you been, girl?!  i am looking forward to seeing your mini twists. :-)

@ms.kraizy - woot!  welcome!! i love seeing your mini twists too!  in terms of products, do you have a preference for no cone, cones, etc. or do you just do what works? and if you use one of your flat iron passes, you have to show us the anniversary pics, kk? :-)

@cia - pretty hurr!

@naynay - welcome!!  those scalp massages are the truth, aren't they?

Thanks Heavy!!! Looking forward to seeing your gorgeous hair grow too!

Ummm, I used to be a tight wad about what went in my hair, but me and my wallet was always fighting. So I'm not particular about anything anymore. Cones, sulfates, free of whatever it doesn't matter. The only thing I'm kinda particular about is mineral oil and petrolatum, but if a product does have that and it smells really good (like biosilk infusion olive oil lotion), I just put it on last after moisturizing my hair really good. My basis is this: must be cheap, readily available, and a bestie for my hair. I think the most expensive items I purchase for my hair would be the oils: avocado and castor oil my hair just LOVES. And that might be it. lol Keepin it simple, that's what's giving me growth these days. =)

And yes, if I do flat iron (cause I've been saying that SINCE I went natural and haven't done it YET! lol) I will DEFINITELY post pics! It will be my first time seeing my hair straight in four years and also seeing my hair actually sweep down my back! I've never had hair go past my neck, so seeing midback length straightened hair that is not detachable will be a miraculous event!

-------------

Check me out at

Date Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 10:48am
@Nay, those twists are GORGEOUS!! They look so healthy.

-------------

Check me out at

Date Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 11:22am
@heavy, Girl my eyebrows are ridiculously thick again YAY ( now its time for a wax!,lol)
Pretty twists! @naynay

Think im going to start co-washing everyday from now on, my hair is benefiting greatly from it. Im also post relaxer so it helps out with my new growth,

Date Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 9:19pm
Co-washed with Strawberry milksmoothie Vo5, parted entire head and applied castor oil, massaged for a like 5 minutes, put some purified water in a bottle ( my hair dries quick, especially with  5 year old twins and 16 month old running around, lol) Spritz my ends applied castor oil to ends and did a wet bun.

****I will post my starting pic on December 1st, You can look at the one in the wsl challenge , but this time I want to straighten it to get a tru length check..****

Date Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 9:20pm
I  meant to say Dec 31st, but bhm wont let me edit!!Angry

Date Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 10:00pm
THANX LADIES

@ HEAVY. I finger part and I also use a comb.

oh my head gear its a scalp massager i made my husband buy for me its called the ' ucrown 2'... look it up.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 28 2012 at 10:21pm
Originally posted by darlinnic darlinnic wrote:

In 20 month transition!!

This is my first time wearing my natural hair ever.. I've been in back to back sew in's
Im in love with it.  I didn't think I would since I've been told that my hair is "unmanageable , hard to grow" "It's not good hair"

Hair Goal for June, 2013: BE COMPLETELY NATURAL
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed): TRANSITIONING MONTH 20!!
PS of Choice: FULL SEW IN
Detailed Regimen while in PS: OIL MY SCALP/HAIR WITH EUPHORIA AND BLISS MIXTURE 3x A WEEK.  SHAMPOO AND CONDITION LIKE NORMAL EVERY TWO WEEKS
Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: DRYNESS
Favorite Product: HMMM.. I KEEP SWITCHING BECAUSE I KEEP BUYING. NO MORE!!

I AM GOING TO USE EVERYTHING AT MY HOUSE: AUSSIE MOIST, GIOVANNI DIRECT LEAVE IN, GIOVANNI TEA TREE SHAMPOO, GIOVANNI 50:50 HYDRATING, AUDREY ORGANICS HSR

The pictures above are of my hair from 2 weeks ago.  I have been on a 21 month transition and that was the first time I wore my hair out in 21 months.  i just want to be fully natural with some length. I have a good 3 or 4 inches of relaxed ends left.

4c hair.. (I think)

Darlinnic

Date Posted: Nov 29 2012 at 7:07pm
i heart your hair, darlinnic!

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 7:02am

i heart your hair, darlinnic!

Thanks Heavy!

I miss my hair soooo badly!

Until June ill be in two installs that will put me in month 28 of my transition
That week I had my hair out was so scary at first but now I miss it!

Date Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 10:20am
yeah, i know the feeling.  i stay in twists so much and sometimes i miss my hair.  when that happens, i just wash my hair. lol i realize that is my fix.

happy friday, ladies!

-------------

Posted By: WarriorGurl233
Date Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 5:46pm
OMG is it too late for me to join?! Ouch 

Hair Goal for June, 2013: Retain 3 inches, retain moisture.
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed): natural closing in on BSL
PS of Choice: updos, wigs
Detailed Regimen while in PS: shampoo weekly, cowash mid week. DC twice a week. seal with evoo OR shea butter mix. twist to stretch. style in updo.
Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: a few splits, not sure if its enough to worry about yet. still determining that.
Favorite Product: Aussie Moist

Will post pic later.

Date Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 7:23pm
Warriorgurl, how long have you been natural for?

Date Posted: Nov 30 2012 at 9:05pm
Dry deep conditioned my leave out... I keep reading that that is the best way. I can't tell.

Posted By: AmberColour
Date Posted: Dec 01 2012 at 12:07pm
I'm in!
If it's not tooooo late. :o
I'll be back with my info later.
I've been really busy these days and I need some motivation!
>_<

-------------

Posted By: JennJenn224
Date Posted: Dec 01 2012 at 4:09pm
I am in if it is not too late for me to join.Smile
I want to be bra strap length and full heathy head of hear by my birthday August.
Need all the motivation I can get.

Date Posted: Dec 01 2012 at 4:40pm
Welcome jenjen!!

Don't forget your pic and regimen

Date Posted: Dec 01 2012 at 6:46pm
I have a yay and a nay for this week

Yay! My new camera arrived so now I can take my pics for when I cut

but

Nay! I had really bad muscle spasms (in my shoulder, neck and back) on Thursday and I can't wash and cut my hair because I'm not exactly 100% yet

Hopefully I can do it next week and my spasms will be over by then

-------------
30 Month Transition

~SL~APL~BSL~MBL

Date Posted: Dec 01 2012 at 10:24pm
hi, ladies!!

welcome to everyone who is just joining.  there is going to be a good number of us in this challenge!  i can't wait till jan 1.  people can still be added until jan.1.  just get your info in before then. yaaay!!!

hair is still in my twists. and, um, they look horrific!! i did a rinse and condition on wednesday and that just made them super frizzy.  and i've been on vacay so i could care less. i am going to dc tomorrow and am going back to work next week so i need to get it together. seriously.  i am not taking them down though.  this coming week will be their third week.  i will just retwist the perimeter and rock buns.

@warrior, how do you normally wear your hair?

@amber!! welcome back!! how have you been?? how is the hair doing?

@jennjenn, we'll be here to cheer you on, girl!  let's get it!

@bajan, sorry to hear that you are not feeling 100.  i hope you feel better soon!  keep us posted.

-------------

Posted By: JennJenn224
Date Posted: Dec 01 2012 at 11:35pm
Thank you for the welcome!!!

Here is my information

Hair Goal for June, 2013: Retain 3 inches, retain moisture, moisture., moisture, did i saw moisture..lol
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed): natural below shoulder. I will take a picture to confirm
PS of Choice: wigs and twists
Detailed Regimen while in PS:  jbco, deep conditioner wash every two weeks 
Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: moisture, moisture, moisture, did i say moisture.
Favorite Product: ORS Pack

Posted By: s007rrt
Date Posted: Dec 02 2012 at 12:37am
Hair Goal for June, 2013: Would like to maintain and grow a few inches to my length while keeping a head full of healthy hair.
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed): Natural
PS of Choice: Braids
Detailed Regimen while in PS: Keeping hair/scalp clean and moisturize while in braids. DC'n in between the styles and not becoming impatient when taking down my braids.
Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: Ends (they stay ragged)
Favorite Product: Don't have one, wish I did.

Pics right after last braid style take down. I may update pic (probably won't,lol)

Date Posted: Dec 02 2012 at 8:36am
Originally posted by KunoichiNindroid KunoichiNindroid wrote:

YES YES YES!!! I'm so ready for a challenge like this. I'm getting a touch up this weekend and braiding my hair in December. SIGN ME UP!!! Been waiting for something like this!

Hair Goal for June 2013: BSL
Current length and state of hair: Relaxed SL or CBL (I have lots of new growth)
PS of choice: Box braids with synthetic hair, buns
Detailed regimen: Moisturize daily with water, glycerin, castor oil and ACV spritz, wash hair once a week, deep condition every 2 weeks, apply castor oil to scalp twice a week, apply castor oil to edges daily or every 2 days.
Biggest hair issue ATM: Protein sensitivity
Favorite product: None :(
*Growth aids: Castor oil, Valupak HSN vitamins, B-complex

*I don't use growth aids but I want to try and get as much growth as I can these next months. Putting them up there will remind me to be on top of my game. I hope nobody minds \(^w^)/

I'll add my pic after I retouch my hair

aah, I got a touch up yesterday. Most of my hair was CBL and the back was past APL. But the ends were so weathered from my protein overload breakage that I told the lady doing my hair to get rid of all the split ends and even it out. Now I'm a blunt SL all over. Even at the back. Anyway, I think I need to edit my June 2013 goal. Or maybe not? Hmm, we'll see if i can get there by some miracle. Here's my pic

Oh and I don't remember who was asking about my spritz proportions but I just eyeball it. The ration of glycerin to castor oil is about 2:1 or 3:1. Just enough to dissolve the oil completely when I shake the bottle. Then the ratio of water to that mixture is anywhere between 1:1 and 5:1. I change it depending on the thickness of my braids, the seasons and whether or not I'll be washing my hair frequently. Then half a tsp of ACV. This fills up about half of a Sta-Sof-Fro bottle.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 02 2012 at 11:59am
HAPPY SUNDAY, LADIES!  my hair feels super moisturized finally.  that's what i get for trying out new moisturizers when i know that my db/jbco/butter combo would never steer me wrong! 

how are people wearing their hair today??

@s007 - heeeey, girl!!!  your hair is looking thick!

@kunoichi - your hair looks good!  keep your goal - BSL or as close as you can get!  It's a lllll good.  :-)

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 02 2012 at 1:45pm
Started applying sulfur/olive oil mix 2 days ago. I'm going to continue applying the sulfur mix every two days. And Just use castor oil once a week (SAturdays). I want to start ghe-ing but I think that might be alittle to much. I also left Vo5 in as a leave-in, and my hair loves it! Im still co-washing.

Date Posted: Dec 02 2012 at 6:34pm
@cherry, you are lucky!  v05's are just good detanglers for my hair, but don't moisturize at all.  and these things are available everywhere for a great price.  would love to use them as my conditioner!

-------------

Posted By: s007rrt
Date Posted: Dec 02 2012 at 6:36pm
@Cherry89- I have been using sulfur/oil mix also lately. I purchased the liquid gold stuff, its been a few weeks so we shall see if it helps my hair.

@HeavyR- Hey how are you? I wish it was thick! That's why I don't press it out much, prefer that illusion better. lol

Posted By: 902sexxi
Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 2:21am
I want in! I'll post details later.

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 4:26am
I will be taking my hair down this week and re-braiding it for another three weeks and then I will do a length check for the challenge:) I'm excited about making a year (in March) maintaining a consistent protective style!

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 2:55pm

@amber!! welcome back!! how have you been?? how is the hair doing?

HR! :D
My TWA is doing good! (I BC'd to a fade in AugParty)
I've just been wigging it lately.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 03 2012 at 4:44pm
@Heavy, 

I thought they were pretty watery too when I first started using them. I use them because they fit great into my budget. Big smile I have reallllly thick hair, and I have to use a good amount every time I condition. True, It don't leave my hair overly moisturize, but it does the job! lol. Especially after using it as a leave in. I guess I will switch back to Herbal Essence Long Hair care or try the Aubrey Honey Suckle one everybody has been raving about, when I slow down on he co-washes. 

@007
I haven't hard about the liquid gold stuff?? Hope it works well for you. I'm trying to get an inch by Jan, and hopefully the sulfur will help..

Update: Nothing new, did a co-wash today and applied castor oil. I needed to get a break from the sulfur. I want to start doing the molasses treatment, to reduce breakage and shedding. (I would add it to my V05 and it worked really well). I also will be adding Coconut oil and Grapeseed oil to my reggie, and try to get some MSM powder. Hopefully I can get one inch this month, can't wait until our Length check-in day..

Posted By: Mrs.Rob
Date Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 2:29am
Current Length and State of Hair : Fairly Healthy 
PS of Choice: Kinky Twist,3/4 wigs, micro braids
Detailed Regimen while in PS: Scalp cleanse as needed, Deep Condition, Co-wash 2x a week, Homemade spritz  
Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: Dryness and SSK
Favorite Product: JBCO, Water 
I'm still searching for my staple products 
will post pictures tomorrow to lazy to fight with this computer tonight 

Date Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 8:54am
Hair Goal for June, 2013: To be BSB length

Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed): Current length is APL, natural and color treated

PS of Choice: Right now I like buns but I will be investing in some glueless lace wigs and doing braids for the entire year.

Detailed Regimen while in PS: Keeping it braided up under a lace wig, mini twists or box braids. Wash 2x a week and deep condition once a week alternating with protein and moisture conditioners. Moisturize hair as needed, trim every few months.

Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: Schizo scalp! Always itchy Confused

Favorite Product: Don't know I have way too many that I like!LOL

Will be posting starting pics soon!

-------------
4a/b natural and color treated.
Fotki.com/nubian7
Password is myhair

Date Posted: Dec 04 2012 at 11:39am

Hoping for 4 inches of growth--my current hair length is about 2 inches. So I wanna be at six.
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed):
No-Chem TWA! :3
PS of Choice: Wigs and Braids

Detailed Regimen while in PS: I haven't been  doing much. I just wash/condition my hair and then moisturise with creamy shea butter and seal with care free curl and an oil.
Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: 
None really. Just waiting on some length.TongueAlthough my hair is short I'm already getting attacked by SSKs. But it's bound to happen with my hair type.

Favorite Product:
Care free curl and Shea Butter

http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q558/Ambritev2/Hardcore%20PS%20Part%20II/IMG_1166.jpg%20" rel="nofollow - http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q558/Ambritev2/Hardcore%20PS%20Part%20II/IMG_1166.jpg
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q558/Ambritev2/Hardcore%20PS%20Part%20II/IMG_1167.jpg%20" rel="nofollow - http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q558/Ambritev2/Hardcore%20PS%20Part%20II/IMG_1167.jpg
http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q558/Ambritev2/Hardcore%20PS%20Part%20II/IMG_1168.jpg%20" rel="nofollow - http://i1163.photobucket.com/albums/q558/Ambritev2/Hardcore%20PS%20Part%20II/IMG_1168.jpg

^Don't seem to work. >_< Sorry
http://s1163.beta.photobucket.com/user/Ambritev2/library/Hardcore%20PS%20Part%20II

PW:colour

-------------

Posted By: iBenn
Date Posted: Dec 05 2012 at 5:36pm
I could have sworn I posted in here trying to see if I can save a spot to come back with my info...my hair is currently poofy straight and will remain that way until next Friday (graduation =) !!) and that is when I will take my starting pic, since I recently gave myself a nice trim and added some face framing layers Wink

-------------
Last relaxer: 10/2009
BC: 12/16/2011
Currently: SL
Short term goal: FULL APL
2013 Goal: BSL
Long term goal: WL (stretched)
http://public.fotki.com/iBenn/

Date Posted: Dec 05 2012 at 8:23pm
hi, ladies! happy wednesday! :-)  still in my mini twists..in a bun. i redid the perimeter and i look brand spankin' new! :-)

@s007, well, it looks thick to me! :-)

@902, welcome!  do you use coconut oil on your scalp?  whenever i put it on my scalp, i get the crazy itches!!

@khivey, a year, that is really impressive!!  i have been doing it for about 2 years now, but i have definitely taken breaks here and there for a few days at a time though so big ups to you for doing it straight through.

@amber, cool!!  good time to rock a low cut!  i see you are on the grow, though.

@cherry, yeah, when the v05's work, it's golden for their prices!

@mrs.rob, heeey!!! welcome back!  can't wait to see your update! :-)

@ibenn, heeeyyy!!  we're waiting for you girl!!!

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 05 2012 at 10:53pm

hi, ladies! happy wednesday! :-)  still in my mini twists..in a bun. i redid the perimeter and i look brand spankin' new! :-)

@khivey, a year, that is really impressive!!  i have been doing it for about 2 years now, but i have definitely taken breaks here and there for a few days at a time though so big ups to you for doing it straight through.

Thank you. Yes, I used to do that as well when I would ps in the past with other styles, but this past year has been so busy and crazy all over the place for me (in a good way) that it has been so convenient to keep it up. When I do my end of the year check in for another challenge I am in, I plan to do flexi rods..so that will be the first time that I don't have braids in my hair for a couple of days because it is getting braided right back up again.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 8:53pm
^^^ get it, girl!!

ladies, i was thinking of taking out my twists today - suddenly felt incredibly bored with them.  then i realized that i was too lazy to do anything so i will not be undoing them.  in they stay for yet another week. :-)

i have swimming this weekend.  any tips from my ladies who swim on how you protect your hair??

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 9:21pm
Lol, is your hair to big for a cap? Thats the only thing I can think of.....

Applied sulfur mix tonight and massaged for about 5 minutes. I also added honey and olive oil to my conditioner, and It worked Wonderfully!! ;) Anywho, I won't be doing buns as often, I think my hair prefer moist braids instead, so I I braid my hair in two braids on each side, moisturize with purified water/honey mix and sealed with olive oil. I also took so sneak peaks before my big blow out on Dec 31st.. after that my next one won't be until my daughter birthday 5/29

Date Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 9:35am
That is some gorgeous hair you have there ^
Whooooo!Star

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 1:03pm
Originally posted by AmberColour AmberColour wrote:

That is some gorgeous hair you have there ^
Whooooo!Star

Thanks Amber! Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that I wouldn't have even got this far without BHM teaching me.. Big smile I've always had thick-shoulder length hair, now I'm almost full mbl..   Wink I really want to go ahead and relax, its sooo tempting. Im like 4 months post... Im just trying to squeeze one more inch in here by Jan 1st..

Update: I am officially GHE-ing, I'm slowing down on the co-washes and doing ghe-ing at least 4-5 a week. My hair loves this method. I don't know why I stopped last time..prob got lazyEmbarrassed

Date Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 4:48pm
OK so i have just M&S my twists. a 3rd scalp massage for the day and applied my sulfur mix. same routine i/ve been doing since i put these twists in 10 days ago and i have already obtained 1/4" of growth. that 1-2" of hair I clipped off will be back before I know it.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 5:10pm
@cherry, beautiful, thick hair, girl!!  i think i should be fine w/ the cap. lol  i have my hair in twists so everything should fit fine. i am going to put oil on my hair and also some water before getting in the pool.  conditioner just rinses right off!

@naynay, 1/4 inch in 10 days?! WOWEE!!! awesome!  you're right, that hair will be back im.medi.ate.ly!

HAPPY FRIDAY, LADIES!!  you know me - still in my twists rocking a low bun. i will be seeing how they hold up after my swimming tomorrow. will keep you posted. :-)

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 07 2012 at 7:53pm

been in my mini twists for 12 days now.

im shampooed my scalp and now im in the process of dc'ing w/ shea moisture purification masque.  will do overnight.

ive been wrapping my twists after washes to stretch them back out.  works like a charm! 

Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 1:06am
GAH!!!!!!!

I did!!!!! I finally chopped off all of my relaxed ends.

Pics (i know the most important part) to come either tomorrow or Monday

I have never felt so excited and afraid at the same time about doing one thing ever!!!!!

-------------
30 Month Transition

~SL~APL~BSL~MBL

Posted By: assiyrabomb
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 2:10am
Hope I'm not too late...I was a part of the first challenge and I'm ready for Part II. 

My Info:

Hair Goal for June, 2013: MBL

Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed): BSL Texlaxed

PS of Choice: U Part Wigs/Half Wigs (All hair braided except for leaveout)

-Moisturize/Seal leaveout once a day 

-Wash/DC - once every 2 weeks

-Hard Core Protein: once every 6 weeks (when I take sew in/wigs out)

Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: Splint Ends

Favorite Product: All things Wen

This is the most recent pic I have. It was take in late August 2012. 

I'll be straightening my hair at the end of this month. I'll will cut off about an inch of split ends and then do a new length check.

-------------
SL-APL-BSL-(MBL)-WL-TBL?

"Weaved up till I get there..."

http://public.fotki.com/assiyrabomb/

Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 6:46am
Wait. Did the challenge already start?

-------------

Posted By: littlebabybug
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 9:50am
Hair Goal for June, 2013: Shoulder Length
Current Length and State of Hair (e.g., relaxed, natural, texlaxed): 5-6 inches nape- 8-10 inches crown (NL); natural 
PS of Choice: Twists (do finger coils count? On my hair they look the exact same as my twists, anyway. Both curl to high heaven when moisture hits.)
Detailed Regimen while in PS: Eh...i don't really have one. i've always gone with the flow. but for now i'll say leaving in twists or coils for at least seven days, aiming for 14. moisturizing when needed. sleeping on satin pillow cap...there's not much to do when my hair's in either one of these styles except leave it alone. the most involvement i ever have with my hair is on wash/detangle day, where i use fingers only and mostly a spray bottle and conditioner. i remove twists then wash on loose hair (washing in twists gives me knots; and oil of all kinds seems to dry out my hair big time) then when done i go at my hair in many sections, working out knots and tangles with fingers, spray bottles and a tad bit of conditioner. that about sums it up for until i wash it again. my hair stays pretty moist (or at least not dry) til i get ready to attack it again. I've never had porosity issues, and no arbitrary breakage so...
Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: none  (except, hurry up and grow already!!! Angry)
Favorite Product: Hm...don't have one. they're all created equal in my book Tongue just kidding. um..i'd say at the moment my fave is (does my spray bottle count?) mane n tail conditioner because it makes my hair like butter when i do use it. it's subject to change, though. 

-------------
4 inches to BSB!
**SL reached June 2013**
Check out my blog at http://thegrowthexperience.blogspot.com

Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 10:36am
Originally posted by KunoichiNindroid KunoichiNindroid wrote:

Wait. Did the challenge already start?

not yet!  it starts in january.

sometimes people post updates beforehand...just because.  :)

Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 12:33pm
@Heavy, Thank youBig smile!

Welcome Everyone, HHG!!Star

Just did some light dusting, I noticed my hair is breaking at the ends..Angry I have at least a 1-1 1/2 inches to get rid ofCry

I guess I will get a full trim once the challenge is over in June, until then Ill keep dusting. I have to start being consistent with my protein treatments. I'm going to add egg/honey/coconut milk to my condish once a week for protein. I Also think my hair likes very low manipulation and less co-washing ( due to major breakage) I  think co-washing is good but making my hair more weak.
So from now on, I will only Wash/DC once a week and roller set on the same day. Ghe every night.I Believe I can monitor my breakage more If I Keep my hair straighten. 

Posted By: shalafbabii
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 2:10pm
I want in! I will post my pictures tomorrow. I am planning to start some box braids and wear them for 6-8 weeks. I'm a college student taking 20 credit hours next semester so I need to join this challenge in order to make it through spring 2013 without worrying about my hair and having any setbacks. 

-------------
Last Relaxer: May 2010
BC: June 22, 2011
Current Length: CBL
2015 Length Goal: Full APL all around, stretched

-- AGGIE PRIDE! C/O 2014

Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 2:15pm
^^^^^ Welcome!!Hug

Update: Applied eggs/honey/olive oil/ condish mix, applied on dry hair... I still have it in while I'm typing.. Hopefully the protein will solve some of my breakage issues..

Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 7:32pm
hi, ladies!!!

i went swimming today. :-) prepped my hair with oils and then used a cap.  my hair wasn't soaked when i got out, i did a rinse with water, then came home and shampooed with suave naturals shampoo and dc'ed with sheamoisture dt masque.  just used my homemade leave-in, and applied my homemade gel to make my twists curl...and they are! :-D  can't way to see how it dries.

a huge, big, fat WELCOME to all of the new ladies - assiyra, littlebabybug, shalafbabii!!

@bajan, HUGE CONGRATS TO YOU!!!  can't wait to see your all natural hair!!! such a long transition!  you go, girl!

@assiyra, heeeey, girl!!  welcome back!  how have you been?

@littlebabybug, do your coils cause breakage at all? i always want to do these, but it seems like it would break my hair winding it around the comb like that or are those different? and then i imagine the detangling...

@kunoichi, this challenge is usually pretty active (even before it starts) and people post lots of pics of their ps's. i love it!  official start of challenge is jan 1. :-D

@cherry, sorry to hear about the breakage...when did it start?  it could be the hygral fatigue with cowashing so often so i agree - stick to the once a week wash if cowashing was the only thing you changed before the breakage started....

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 9:38pm
Oh my gosh, my hair sooooo dry.

I know that this is expected after cutting but I'm not used to it.
Starting to think that I will need to buy some new products. The products that I used was relaxed/early transitioning is not doing anything for me now.

Good thing I have a b'day coming up.

-------------
30 Month Transition

~SL~APL~BSL~MBL

Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 10:03pm
Idk if your hair likes glycerin or not, but my twa love care free curl and shea butter, then I just seal with any oil I have on hand. ^ 

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 2:55am
@ Heavy
It might just be time for a trim, my last trim was in July. I even got it layered. Hopefully I can get a more good picture when I straighten at the end of the month. Sometimes thats the only way I can tell how bad it really is... :( If it is bad I will just get a little trim Before the challenge officially start. Because Im way overdue for my 6 month trims.. 2/year

Date Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 3:17pm
So I went back to bunning, .... Embarrassed
brought some molasses to help with the breakage. 

Date Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 4:26pm

my mini twists are 2 weeks old today.  the time is flying by.  my intention is to take them out on december 30th and then do an official pre-challenge length photo to post here. 

Date Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 6:42pm
happy sunday, ladies!!

my homemade moisturizer and gel worked like a charm!  #winning!

anywho, i am going to retwist the perimeter tonight after i moisturize.  Going swimming again on Wednesday so will be doing my prep and apres-swimming conditioning again.  i will be swimming twice a week going forward.  these twists finally come out on friday...which will make it one month that they have been in.  

@amber, i agree with the glycerin.  that stuff is a good look for my hair.  no matter what time of year.

@cherry, molasses is good.  myhoneychild has a great molasses dc too.

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 11:02pm
@Heavy

I never heard of that brand. I got to look more into that one.

My hair loved the protein mix.. My hair felt stronger and was no longer mushy when wet. I def have to keep up with it. 

Date Posted: Dec 10 2012 at 11:24am
Beautiful startups ladies! Can't wait to see our progress in July!

I'm in another set of twists that are all funny looking cause all I do is bun them. Twist and bun, twist'n bun. Haaa, getting so boring. I think I need a yarn braid intermission. I just can't WAIT til I get to waist length stretch and be able to have really big hair! I hope I get there by the end of next year. *fingers crossed* Friday will be wash day for me and maybe I'll muscle up some strength to do an actual decent style for the week. We'll see...

-------------

Check me out at

Date Posted: Dec 10 2012 at 11:43pm
Did a molasses Treatment with honey and coconut milk, and my hair absolutely loved it. :)

Posted By: iskalay
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 11:06am
Heeey Ladies! I hope this challenge is not full because I'd really like to join Embarrassed

Hair Goal for June, 2013: Healthy ends and thicker edges somewhere near BSL

Current Length and State of Hair: Natural just past APL in the back (will post starting pics)

PS of Choice: twists, flat twists (just tried a flat twist style for the first time and I love it so i'm rolling with it), maybe some bunning here and there

Detailed Regimen while in PS: Working on it, but will be something like:
*DAILY: spritz with simple homemade water based mix at night then tie down with scarf (to minimize frizz)
*WEEKLY: scalp massage at least 3x a week
*MONTHLY: wash with peppermint castile soap EVOO mix and moisture/protein DC with cholesterol and an egg

Biggest Hair Issue at the Moment: split ends and ssk's...but I don't think it's as bad as I imagine it is 

Favorite Product: shea butter and EVOO

Something extra --> What I need to do before the official start of the challenge: 
1. Purchase challenge supplies (cute hair accessories, spray bottle, glycerin, hair shears, hair pins)
2. Trim my ends so I have a fresh start to the challenge (I won't trim during challenge so I can see how well I managed my ends)
3. Post starting pics 

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 2:28am
hi, ladies!

i was motivated by littlebabybug to try coiling my hair.  so, i took down one of my twists and coiled it with my finger...i basically twisted it (one strand) and then coiled the rest of it. i used an all natural gel - herbal soothing curl defining gel by koils by nature.  the coil is still there and it looks super shiny and is super soft. :-)  i am thinking of doing my whole head in bigger coils when i wash my hair tomorrow...just take down the twists and change them into coils (like 3/4 twists would make one coil).  i am swimming tomorrow and will need to wash my hair after....i have to take down my twists because they are on their last leg and we have a party to attend on friday. decisions, decisions!  stay tuned!

@mskraizy, i'm with you girl!  my twists STAY in a bun.  

@cherry, i'm glad it worked!

@iskalay - WELCOME! can't wait to see your hair accessories! i love accessories (clips, combs, cute head bands).

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 5:11am
Coils are a great protective style Heavy! I used to do them back in the day but smaller ones and they were too cute. My hair flourished. It is especially good in the summer too...you can let them air dry:)

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 7:17am
" Side eyes" as cherry89 envy you naturalle's and their pretty hair styles...lol

Lol, I luv natural hairstlyes, coils, twist, updos... lol

Oiled my scalp last night with castor oil. I twisted my hair and dusted it one twist at a time, while I pinned the twist in a updo when I was finish searching and destroying. 

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 9:05am
HeavyRotation, I generally avoid putting oils/greases on my scalp because makes the itching worse! The only thing that helps is doing a ACV rinse after shampooing and washing 2x a week for now. 

-------------
4a/b natural and color treated.
Fotki.com/nubian7
Password is myhair

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 10:32am
I realized I forgot to post my picture.

Here is the day after my BC.
I will try to get a better one after my next wash and have better detangling session.

http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac116/bajanbklyngirl/Natural%20Hair/naturalhair_edit.jpg" rel="nofollow - http://i891.photobucket.com/albums/ac116/bajanbklyngirl/Natural%20Hair/naturalhair_edit.jpg

And I realize that I need to change my goal from full SL to APL because the large majority of my hair is already CBL.

-------------
30 Month Transition

~SL~APL~BSL~MBL

Print Page | Close Window