Print Page | Close Window

Amber Riley Cries @ Hweird weight pressures

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=351146
Printed Date: Nov 23 2017 at 11:36am

Topic: Amber Riley Cries @ Hweird weight pressures
Posted By: BoutThatLife
Subject: Amber Riley Cries @ Hweird weight pressures
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:25pm

Glee star Amber Riley, who plays the confident Mercedes on the Fox hit, broke down in tears as she admitted her struggles with her body image as a Hollywood actress.

In an honest and moving interview for the MTV series This Is How I Made It, the actress, who is currently making her Broadway debut in Cotton Club Parade revealed how the pressure to be thin has taken its toll.

The 26-year-old, size 16, actress said: 'Hollywood is a very hard place to be in. It really is. Being the person I am, you know, the size I am, being a woman, being a black woman, there's not a lot of roles for us.

'After I did St Sass, I kept on auditioning. I was being offered the girl who sits in the corner and eats all day, the girl who committed suicide because she was fat,' she continued.

'I never wanted to play a character that hated herself. I wanted people to know that those aren't the only roles for people like me, normal girls.'

It took 14 years of battling with her body image for Miss Riley to finally get her dream yes.

'Going to the auditions and having the casting director say you need to loose a little weight, I didn't understand why people couldn't accept me for who I was. And the rejection started wearing on my self-esteem,' she said.

'I'm not going to conform, and hurt myself, and do something crazy to be a size 2,' she explained.

'My parents always instilled knowing that your beautiful, that your fearfully and wonderfully made, and that you know who you are.'

Even so, the slightly-unsure-of-herself five-foot-two-inch star went through multiple weight fluctuations while growing up in La Mirada, California.

Ultimately, however, she said: 'I'm a healthy person. have great friends around me that are positive.

'That's the key to life, is make your own path, set your own rules. There is no set rule, no set look, no set anything, you make your own rules in life, and your own decisions.'

-------------
I AM THE AUTHOR OF MY OWN SCRIPT AND I PLAY BY MY RULES.

POSITIVITY + LOVE AND ALL GOOD THINGS SURROUND ME

Replies:
Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:26pm
She's a size 16?

Oh she's 5'2.

I hate when ppl say they don't want to be a size two.
You don't have to be a size two Riley but getting off some off that weight would work wonders.

She has the means .
I like her though, the few times I've watched Glee

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: babyk94
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:28pm
I love her!

Posted By: OrriannaRose
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:28pm
How tall is she?
Nvm.

-------------

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:32pm

-------------

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:34pm
82% Black American women are overweight or obese

SMH @ those roles they offered her but she could stand to lose a few pounds and be a role model for the masses
That statistic is just sad

However, it's not like should would get better roles even if she did lose weight. I'm glad she has tough skin though, she knew what Hollywood was before she entered it

Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:35pm
Lol yeah I was about to say, even if she lost weight it's not like there are roles raining down.

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: **Sk!TtLeS B**
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

SMH @ those roles they offered her but she could stand to lose a few pounds and be a role model for the masses

Her losing weight will somehow inspire millions of women to do so as well? Monique lost weight and women are still fat. 

-------------
Im making a political statement every time I make my ass clap - Ru Paul

Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:37pm
Monique is older

Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:38pm
There are still fat older women. 

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:39pm
Im jus sayin...

Jennifer Hudson inspired a lot of Black women (that I know) to lose weight. There's something powerful about seeing someone who looks like you, that's your age and size, get in shape

Posted By: femmefatale85
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:39pm
That girl ain't gonna be nobody weight loss role model.

Although every time I see a pic of Rihanna practically naked, I remember to go to the gym.

Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:41pm
I wonder if the stats will change in ten years time.
I have seen alot of Zumba and get fit and cut the fat programs spring up where I'm from.
A lot of women are flocking to these places and they are staying and enjoying it.its like their girls night out three times a week.
An old co worker of mine has lost 60lbs from those classes and just curbing some of her eating habits.nothing big at all.

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:42pm
But she did lose a few pounds though.

30, I think she said.

-------------

Posted By: acaraway
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:44pm
I don't see how being a bit smaller would hurt her.

Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:46pm
Amber probably wouldnt have been on Glee if she wasnt fat. They werent gonna put a cute skinny black girl on next to them white girls.

5'2 and size 16 though? At her size she should be no bigger than an 8. She'll probably lose it when Glee is over

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:48pm
I feel bad for her but her expectations for movie roles (especially any roles that would cast her as a love interest) should be extremely low or non-existent even

I mean, they treat big White girls like they ain't sh*t. They sho ain't gonna treat you like you have a soul worth lovin

Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:53pm
Originally posted by FarraFace FarraFace wrote:

But she did lose a few pounds though.

30, I think she said.

Hmmm, that's a bit more than a few.

I guess it only counts if you can see it *kanye shrug*

-------------

Posted By: OrriannaRose
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by BoutThatLife BoutThatLife wrote:

Amber probably wouldnt have been on Glee if she wasnt fat. They werent gonna put a cute skinny black girl on next to them white girls.

5'2 and size 16 though? At her size she should be no bigger than an 8. She'll probably lose it when Glee is over

Ot: Is that you in your avi? If so that lipstick/gloss is so pretty. Thumbs Up

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 11:07pm
Originally posted by **Sk!TtLeS B** **Sk!TtLeS B** wrote:

Oh, "we" see it, but you know some heauxs just ain't neva satisfied.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 11:12pm
Originally posted by FarraFace FarraFace wrote:

Oh, "we" see it, but you know some heauxs just ain't neva satisfied.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 11:21pm
Originally posted by OrriannaRose OrriannaRose wrote:

Ot: Is that you in your avi? If so that lipstick/gloss is so pretty. Thumbs Up

Oh no lol its Brooke Bailey

-------------

Posted By: laceyfront
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 11:35pm
Dayum she not even trying to loose weight? Her life but she can miss me with the tears.

Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 11:38pm
To be so young, with such a beautiful face she's really doing herself a disservice by staying big. Obesity ages your appearance and makes you look matronly

-------------

Posted By: SWEETBREAD
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 11:39pm
I'm not going to kick her while she down..........but it's nothing wrong with being healthy,you don't have to be size 2,to accomplish that.

Posted By: ImThatDiva
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by SWEETBREAD SWEETBREAD wrote:

I'm not going to kick her while she down..........but it's nothing wrong with being healthy,you don't have to be size 2,to accomplish that.
Exactly. Skinny and healthy are not synonymous.

-------------
Mrs.ImThatModdlessDiva
TWERKIN' MY WAY DOWNTOWN
CARS DRIVE PAST
DRIVERS CRASH AND I'M LOWDOWN
-Midna

Posted By: ImThatDiva
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 11:41pm

To be so young, with such a beautiful face she's really doing herself a disservice by staying big. Obesity ages your appearance and makes you look matronly
I went back to read the article to see how old she was. It really does age you. I thought she was at the very least 30, at most 34/35.

-------------
Mrs.ImThatModdlessDiva
TWERKIN' MY WAY DOWNTOWN
CARS DRIVE PAST
DRIVERS CRASH AND I'M LOWDOWN
-Midna

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 11:44pm
She has def lost weight.
Yall some haters.

Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by ImThatDiva ImThatDiva wrote:

I went back to read the article to see how old she was. It really does age you. I thought she was at the very least 30, at most 34/35.

Interesting....cause I thought she was younger.

Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 11:45pm
Everybody doesnt have to be a size 2. I think she'd look very nice at a size 6-8. Keep a lil thickness and shape but tone up and get athletic. I'm not trying to knock her for being big but I dont believe in like encouraging it either. I think you can encourage the person w/o encouraging the weight

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 11:49pm
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/glee-star-amber-riley-passes-out-on-red-carpet_topic338498_page3.html

Can't find the thread about her weight loss ATM. Y'all probably acted a fool and got it locked.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 11:50pm
She's 5'2 yall!

Being a size 6-8 wouldn't make her look "skinny" at all

Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 11:52pm

Originally posted by SWEETBREAD SWEETBREAD wrote:

Exactly. Skinny and healthy are not synonymous.

That's the thing. Hollywood doesnt want her healthy. They want her skinny.  Doesnt matter how it's achieved, so long as it's there. 
Let's not front, whether it's between people in the industry or posters on BHM, the "she should lose weight" discussion is rarely had because of health. 

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 11:55pm
Any dark, short black women with her features gettin' play in the wood?

Posted By: starflower7
Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:01am
LoL it trips me out when they wanna cry like someone force fed them all that fried chicken and macaroni and cheese. And as if a 5'2 woman has to be starving herself to be a size 2. LoL @ fat being "just the way you are." No, you just love food and that's just the way you are.

-------------
"I give to the needy...and not the greedy!"

"Mm hm that's right!"

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:01am

Let's not front, whether it's between people in the industry or posters on BHM, the "she should lose weight" discussion is rarely had because of health.
[Farra/Afro]Guuuuurl![Afro/Farra]

LOL

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:02am

And if you aren't overweight apparently you're staving yourself or on the brink of death. We have a screwed up standard when it comes to weight smh

-------------

"Mm hm that's right!"

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:03am
Weight goes a little deeper than that.
But ppl are more willing to go below the surface when it's anorexia or something .

Hopefully she figures it out.
She's pretty and her features would be more defined if she lost some more weight

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:04am

OMG this. 

-------------

"Mm hm that's right!"

She already stated in the article that she's "healthy"

If she's healthy and happy with her weight then why is she crying?

She wants to be "accepted" at the weight she is but she's not realizing that they are already "accepting" her as she is... just not the way she wants to be accepted

You can cry buckets of tears all day long about society not accepting you as you are. Either you become confident, self-loving and unbreakable to the point where their opinions of you can't penetrate your mind or you mold yourself to fit their world

That's the thing. Hollywood doesnt want her healthy. They want her skinny.  Doesnt matter how it's achieved, so long as it's there. 

Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

But ppl are more willing to go below the surface when it's anorexia or something .

She's pretty and her features would be more defined if she lost some more weight

Right?
Anorexia = Awwww that's so sad I hope someone gets her some help.
Obesity = That big fat bitch stop eating so much you cow.

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:06am
I was being nice when I suggested size 6-8. Only because Amber seems like the type who is adverse to exercise and eating salads so I was trying to give her a lil thickness range where she would be slimmer but not huge like she is now. A size 2 at her height would actually be fit and healthy.  She's only 26 years old she need to get it together unless she dont mind looking like Nell Carter in 10 years

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:07am
Black women are very sensitive/stubborn when it comes to the subject of weight

So many sarcastic comments about the 'overweight look' not being accepted, so we must be anorexic to look good

Sad we can't be honest with ourselves enough to acknowledge one doesn't have to be either. There is a middle ground lol

Originally posted by starflower7 starflower7 wrote:

And if you aren't overweight apparently you're staving yourself or on the brink of death. We have a screwed up standard when it comes to weight smh

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:08am
There's no middle ground when it comes to weight Alias. None.Stern Smile

lol I'm just being bad and stirring the pot.

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:09am

Her losing weight will somehow inspire millions of women to do so as well? Monique lost weight and women are still fat. 

monique shoulda been arrested for that obese propaganda she was spewing.  

Posted By: teendiva
Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:09am
Damn she cried................?

-------------
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else, is the greatest accomplishment.
-My dude Emerson

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:10am
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Right?

No, not when thin black everyday black girls are told to eat a sandwich, "dont nobody want a bone but a dog", "looks like a crackhead", and the standard of beauty in our community is not a slender size 2 or even an athletic figure like Pilar Sanders. Skinny girls get teased as well, its not just the big ones. It may be a little more acceptable to be skinny because clothes look cuter on you and if you hang out with yt folks they might envy your figure, but for regular black people if you smaller than a size 4 or even 6 people arent that nice to you either

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:10am
I bet she don't be cryin when she be eatin.

-------------

"Mm hm that's right!"

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:11am
Lol @ her ever being a size two.
I couldn't see her going below a 10.

funny

I actually think she would look good at size 6-8. Not bobblehead-ish
She would still be "healthy" and get (slightly) better roles... win/win

I was being nice when I suggested size 6-8. Only because Amber seems like the type who is adverse to exercise and eating salads so I was trying to give her a lil thickness range where she would be slimmer but not huge like she is now. A size 2 at her height would actually be fit and healthy.  She's only 26 years old she need to get it together unless she dont mind looking like Nell Carter in 10 years

She wants to be "accepted" at the weight she is but she's not realizing that they are already "accepting" her as she is... just not the way she wants to be accepted

You can cry buckets of tears all day long about society not accepting you as you are. Either you become confident, self-loving and unbreakable to the point where they're opinions of you can't penetrate you mind or you mold yourself to fit their world

I was being offered the girl who sits in the corner and eats all day, the girl who committed suicide because she was fat,' she continued.

'Going to the auditions and having the casting director say you need to loose a little weight, I didn't understand why people couldn't accept me for who I was. And the rejection started wearing on my self-esteem,' she said.

That sounds sooooooooooooo much like acceptance. 

So. Much. 

-------------

Right?

No, not when thin black everyday black girls are told to eat a sandwich, "dont nobody want a bone but a dog", "looks like a crackhead", and the standard of beauty in our community is not a slender size 2 or even an athletic figure like Pilar Sanders. Skinny girls get teased as well, its not just the big ones. It may be a little more acceptable to be skinny because clothes look cuter on you and if you hang out with yt folks they might envy your figure, but for regular black people if you smaller than a size 4 or even 6 people arent that nice to you either

I'm talking about eating disorders right now.

Posted By: Flowing-Ice
Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:12am
why shouldn't she get to the average weight for her size? 
because y'all still want her to stay a little fat?

-------------
And Jean Paul Gaultier and a Hermes bag and four inch tips made of ostrich ;Sharp enough to slit your wrists her lips spread gossip ;Won't say sorry when she offends

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:13am
Originally posted by starflower7 starflower7 wrote:

I bet she don't be cryin when she be eatin.

Cry LOG OFF!

-------------

Originally posted by Flowing-Ice Flowing-Ice wrote:

I want her to be happy with herself in whatever weight she decides to be.

Why should she?
Because y'all are tired of looking at her fat?

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:14am

Why do women always want fat women to stay fat? I really think its so they can have some company.

-------------

Posted By: ThatGurlD
Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:15am
If eating is anything like smoking I have no shade to throw.  A couple nights ago I had a dream I was smoking and been struggling ever since.  Some things are much easier said than done.

-------------
Valleys only exist between mountains. Stay down til you come up.

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:16am

Right?

I'm talking about eating disorders right now.

If people clown regular slim girls how you think they treat girls with eating disorders?

People didnt give 2 fcks about a Giuliana Rancic and her infertility caused by anorexia on BHM either

-------------

i just don't get the 'lose weight, but don't lose too much' argument
sounds like fat women that don't want former fat women to leave them behind. 

*shrug*

she should lose whatever she feels like it. she knows what society she lives in. 

-------------
And Jean Paul Gaultier and a Hermes bag and four inch tips made of ostrich ;Sharp enough to slit your wrists her lips spread gossip ;Won't say sorry when she offends

Did you read this part...

It's not the way she would want to be accepted (or anyone for that matter) but she exists. They have role for her in their world. That's my point

And honestly, that could go for any Black woman in the industry. When are we gonna stop expecting White people to do better (morally)? They're not about that life

You can cry buckets of tears all day long about society not accepting you as you are. Either you become confident, self-loving and unbreakable to the point where they're opinions of you can't penetrate you mind or you mold yourself to fit their world

I was being offered the girl who sits in the corner and eats all day, the girl who committed suicide because she was fat,' she continued.

That sounds sooooooooooooo much like acceptance. 

So. Much. 

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:17am

Why should she?

What's with being so defiant about being fat? Like whats with the "I aint gonna lose weight because I dont wanna let the haters win" LOL sometimes the haters are right.  She went to Hollywood so she know what the deal is. 

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:17am

Why do women always want fat women to stay fat? I really think its so they can have some company.

lol you and starflower are harsh tonight.

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:19am

Why should she?

What's with being so defiant about being fat? Like whats with the "I aint gonna lose weight because I dont wanna let the haters win" LOL sometimes the haters are right.  She went to Hollywood so she know what the deal is. 

It's her life at the end of the day.

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:20am
Who's "yall"?

Ain't she the one crying about it?
Isn't it Hollywood that tells her what they like?

Why should she?

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:21am

It's not the way she would want to be accepted (or anyone for that matter) but she exists. They have role for her in their world. That's my point

And honestly, that could go for any Black woman in the industry. When are we gonna stop expecting White people to do better (morally)? They're not about that life

"Yeah, I accept you...if you do x,y,z, and even then, my acceptance is still me lowkey sh*tting on you."

That's not acceptance, she's still being othered. 

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:23am
In comparison to what?

The skinny Black actresses that are still being othered?
Let's face it, she still wouldn't be *"accepted" if she was skinnier

*"accepted" as in the way you're using it

"Yeah, I accept you...if you do x,y,z, and even then, my acceptance is still me lowkey sh*tting on you."

That's not acceptance, she's still being othered. 

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:24am
I still don't get why Hollywood doesn't accept overweight people...i get that they're selling glamour but you can't really sell a story about America when no one on your tv show or film is overweight.  there's a quota of 2 fat folks per year.  they acted like Melissa McCarthy was the second coming.

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:25am

Why should she?

Whatever she does with her body, I'll be happy for her, however, I dont like this ruse that it's about her health. Say what you mean, "I dont like looking at her fat ass, so I think she should lose weight."

-------------

Posted By: hauteshellbi
Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:29am
Did anyone make the thread on hairsprays weight loss?

-------------
Men fake a relationship to get a nut, Women fake a nut to get a relationship- himayn10ence

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:30am

Why should she?

Whatever she does with her body, I'll be happy for her, however, I dont like this ruse that it's about her health. Say what you mean, "I dont like looking at her fat ass, so I think she should lose weight."

So being overweight isn't about health?
A size 16 when you stand at only 5'2 is healthy?

I'm not some catty high school girl clowning the girls love handles, her ass is obese.  Obesity and health go hand in hand, you cant talk about one without talking about the other.  I'm not even separating the 2 because at this point you cant.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:30am

In comparison to what?

Yes, black actresses are still being othered, I never said they werent, she actually mentions it in the interview posted. But she should change something about herself to get table scraps? She, a human being, cant feel some sort of way about people sh*tting on her because you dont like the way she looks? 

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:31am
you don't have to be mean, or extremely bitchy because you want someone to lose weight. 
like, wtf is that? 

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:33am
Originally posted by hauteshellbi hauteshellbi wrote:

Did anyone make the thread on hairsprays weight loss?

looks even worse and still racist as ever i bet.

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:34am
Overweight doesn't automatically mean unhealthy....it just means you're more likely to develop certain diseases.

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:35am
why is she wearing ill-fitting clothes? 

-------------

Posted By: hauteshellbi
Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:37am
I know right...her face is hideous without the extra fat filling it out

-------------
Men fake a relationship to get a nut, Women fake a nut to get a relationship- himayn10ence

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:38am

Why should she?

I'm not some catty high school girl clowning the girls love handles, her ass is obese.  Obesity and health go hand in hand, you cant talk about one without talking about the other.  I'm not even separating the 2 because at this point you cant.

I find it incredibly hard to believe that all these people care about her health and not her aesthetics. Yes, obesity and health go hand in hand, but if she was scarfing down medium pizzas and dorritos on a daily basis, and by whatever means stayed a size 6, nobody would be sayin boo. 

No, there would be talking. People would be saying, "must be nice," "that weight is gonna catch up with her one day," "I wish I could do that," with statements like "her blood pressure/cholesterol must be sky high" few and far in between. The health angle is convenient, but I doubt seriously that it's genuine. 

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:39am
She doesn't have to change tho
That's what I've been sayin!

She can love and accept herself (and really that's more important) at her weight now

but she can't have her cake and eat it too.

She can't accept herself at her weight AND waste energy crying over the shallowness of Hollywood and the world

Once you truly do the former, the later no longer matters... doesn't make sense

I feel for her... i do. Life is not fair. People are rude and shallow but we know this, right?

In comparison to what?

Yes, black actresses are still being othered, I never said they werent, she actually mentions it in the interview posted. But she should change something about herself to get table scraps? She, a human being, cant feel some sort of way about people sh*tting on her because you dont like the way she looks? 

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:40am

Why should she?

I find it incredibly hard to believe that all these people care about her health and not her aesthetics. Yes, obesity and health go hand in hand, but if she was scarfing down medium pizzas and dorritos on a daily basis, and by whatever means stayed a size 6, nobody would be sayin boo. 

No, there would be talking. People would be saying, "must be nice," "that weight is gonna catch up with her one day," "I wish I could do that," with statements like "her blood pressure/cholesterol must be sky high" few and far in between. The health angle is convenient, but I doubt seriously that it's genuine. 

I can't speak for everyone else, but when I saw those stats at her age I thought about her health as well. That's why I made the Nell Carter comment.  Health and weight do go hand in hand

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:44am
Gabby Sidibe ain't cryin herself to sleep.  I wonder why she hasn't gone the gastric bypass route?  Weight Watchers?  man, they'd pay her millionsssssssssssssssssssss.

i refuse to believe someone that big feels comfortable being that big.  i don't mean confidence, i mean like walking, talking, breathing, being active.  if you have the resources then you should do something about that before it kills you.  Her and Amber are in way different ball parks.

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:47am

She doesn't have to change tho
That's what I've been sayin!

She can love and accept herself (and really that's more important) at her weight now

but she can't have her cake and eat it too.

She can't accept herself at her weight AND waste energy crying over the shallowness of Hollywood and the world

Once you truly do the former, the later no longer matters... doesn't make sense

I feel for her... i do. Life is not fair. People are rude and shallow but we know this, right?

Everybody cant be strong all the time. Sometimes you need a good cry to shake the weight of the world off you. 
She can love herself at her size, and still be upset by casting directors, stylists, hell, people tweeting her sh*tting on her. She can be frustrated if that's how she feels. The feelings arent mutually exclusive. 

If she shed a few tears thinking about how hard it is for a black woman in the industry, would you be saying this?

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:48am
being strong by staying fat. 
mmmkay. 

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:50am
You know good and goddamn well I was speaking in terms of emotions. 

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:51am
Aint nothing sexy, happy or comfortable with big ass thighs rubbing together, not being able to walk quickly down a long flight of stairs in one breath, having to shop in the big girl section, having to wear spanx girdles and having rolls, etc. That fat girl life aint whats up and the ones still talking about "Oh I'm a size sexy I'm confident in my weight" know they some damn liars. Amber Riley would not be crying if there was nothing wrong with her weight. Keep it 100

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:51am
Yes. I would be

We know how the game is. How we gonna be crying over White people not accepting us?
Angry? Understandable. Exhausted from fighting? Of course. But crying?

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_man4wdicP01rp3zj7.gif

Everybody cant be strong all the time. Sometimes you need a good cry to shake the weight of the world off you. 
She can love herself at her size, and still be upset by casting directors, stylists, hell, people tweeting her sh*tting on her. She can be frustrated if that's how she feels. The feelings arent mutually exclusive. 

If she shed a few tears thinking about how hard it is for a black woman in the industry, would you be saying this?

Posted By: CLCNY20
Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:52am

Interesting....cause I thought she was younger.

same here.

some of ya'll stay bashing people just for bashing's sake

could she stand to lose some weight?  yes.  Will her losing weight land her more roles?  Probably not.  She's doing okay for herself though, and she's an inspiration just for being Black, having a voice like that, and doing her thing on that show, so please.

and I'm sure there are plenty people up in this thread looking 20 years older than their age, DESPITE being skinny.

have a seat before you make a fool of yourself anymore than you already have.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:53am
I'm sorry if I come off as unsympathetic on this issue but I do find it hard to sympathize with any person who is complaining about people not accepting them because they are overweight.

This is one issue that most people have actual control over
There's no need for crying when you could be putting in work and changing your diet

If you don't want to lose weight, fine.
But no amount of tear shed is gonna make extra weight (around the belly and face) more attractive to most

What do you want us to do about it?

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:55am

you don't have to be mean, or extremely bitchy because you want someone to lose weight. 
like, wtf is that? 

This.

And it's funny, because it's not White America up in this thread, it's a bunch of Black chicks bashing her, but they want to side-eye her for crying for the yt people.

I'm sure a sh*tload of her h8ters are women just like the ones in this thread.

Like I said, please. Sleepy

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:55am

Amber Riley would not be crying if there was nothing wrong with her weight. Keep it 100

No, she wouldnt be crying if other people didnt make it a big deal, which brings me back to what I said about aesthetics. 

Yes. I would be

We know how the game is. How we gonna be crying over White people not accepting us? 
Angry? Understandable. Exhausted from fighting? Of course. But crying?

How do you know she's crying because she's sad? She cant be frustrated? Exhausted (emotionally)?

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:56am
Bashing?

Who? When? Geek

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:57am
And I wasn't aware you needed permission to cry.

I'll be there for when some of you are crying up in this very forum about eye-rollable sh*t just to ask if you've filled out your form that enables your tears to matter.

Damn.  Feel better about yourselves?  LOL

smmfh.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:59am

I'm sorry if I come off as unsympathetic on this issue but I do find it hard to sympathize with any person who is complaining about people not accepting them because they are overweight.

This is one issue that most people have actual control over
There's no need for crying when you could be putting in work and changing your diet

If you don't want to lose weight, fine.
But no amount of tear shed is gonna make extra weight (around the belly and face) more attractive to most

What do you want us to do about it?

But...here's the thing. 
She has lost weight (I didnt read the whole OP, but Farra says it's 30lbs), and she did that for health. Her doctor says she's cool (that's from an interview I read on Tumblr). She doesnt have to be attractive to everyone, or even most people, I just find malice in threads dedicated to how much someone should lose weight, because like I said, it's rarely about their health. 

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 12:59am
Do you think Pilar Sanders cries about what people say about her figure? Meagan Good? Brooke Bailey?

You could say Pilar too muscular, Meagan aint got no curves and Brooke body store bought all day long but I bet not 1 out of those 3 would be crying.  Amber crying because she can admit to herself she has a weight problem.  I wouldnt knock her if I saw her in the mall but she knew what the deal was when she came to Hollywood. She's big by real life standards, what did she expect when she came to la la land? Dont cry for her Argentina...

-------------

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 1:04am
Big girl problems

-------------
I just can't stand the negro british midget. He brings out the worst in me.....

I sometimes think AfroK is gay and either doesn't know it or won't admit to it..

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 1:05am

Do you think Pilar Sanders cries about what people say about her figure? Meagan Good? Brooke Bailey?

You could say Pilar too muscular, Meagan aint got no curves and Brooke body store bought all day long but I bet not 1 out of those 3 would be crying.  Amber crying because she can admit to herself she has a weight problem.  I wouldnt knock her if I saw her in the mall but she knew what the deal was when she came to Hollywood. She's big by real life standards, what did she expect when she came to la la land? Dont cry for her Argentina...

OMG this! Pilar worked hard for her body and she's not about to let a skinnyfat chick or any of the 82% of overweight black women tell her she's too thin or muscular. She's confident in her sexy.

-------------

"Mm hm that's right!"

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 1:05am

It's usually positive things. If it's not, there's usually some good to counteract the bad. For every "eww" they get, they get 5 more "damn, she fine!"

With Amber, for every "damn, she fine!"s, there are 10 more "eww"s.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 1:11am
Skittles,

I applaud her for doing something about it.

But if I could ask her one thing it would be "why would you sign yourself up for something like being an actress in Hollywood when you're not emotionally ready to be confronted with the realities of the business?"

I once had severe acne. Since many of you seem to have little sympathy for those of us who have suffered (or still do) with this condition, this would be a good analogy for you. That would be equivalent to me with severe acne, striving to become an actress and then crying over the 'frustration and exhaustion' of being told that I need to get rid of my acne if I want a chance at playing anything other than a loser.

Acne is not always a sign of "bad health". Most people have a problem looking at it b/c they don't find it attractive. I knew this but I went to Hollywood anyways. Now why would I go to (materialistic and shallow) Hollywood wishing that they would see beyond my acne and cast me as something respectable and be vocally mad about it when they don't?

Doesn't that sound silly?

I never once bashed this girl. Why would I do that? I feel her struggle, I just don't understand crying to Hollywood reporters about it

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 1:14am
I'd rather watch/listen to a great actress/singer with a weight problem/acne than to listen to a skinny one with clear skin and no talent.  Then again, I have taste and sympathy for people representing the real world.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 1:18am
i think i have more sympathy for people with acne conditions than someone like Amber...she's really not that big.  she has many options as far as weight loss.  

Print Page | Close Window