Print Page | Close Window

Alternative Deodorant?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=351121
Printed Date: Nov 24 2017 at 8:51pm

Topic: Alternative Deodorant?
Posted By: lovelybrown
Subject: Alternative Deodorant?
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 9:33am
Does anyone have an alternative to regular/store deodorants that actually works? I have suddenly developed a sensitivity to all deodorant. I tried without and it kind of worked - it is winter. I know it won't work in summer because I went out dancing and really wished I had some with me.

My mother does not use it and smells good. I must have missed out on those genes. I am trying the alum stone, but it does not seem to work.

Any recipies? or tips. I already shower in the morning and evening.

-------------
How we look is superficial, but nothing wrong in making the best of it all.

Replies:
Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 9:34am
do you mean antiperspirant?

i dont use antiperspirant but i do use deodorant. 

Posted By: bk2la981
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 9:39am
Making soda mixed with coconut oil seems to work for some people.

Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 9:39am
Whatever this is. I stopped using sprays and thought roll ons would be kinder, but still got that sore feeling underarm.

I think I mean deodorant. All of them have aluminum in and the ones that don't that I found had BHT which I am allergic to.

-------------

Posted By: bk2la981
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 9:40am
Baking soda mixed with coconut oil seems to work for some people. I don't use deodorant because of the aluminum. like your mom, I don't smell. I will use it a few times during the summer though.

Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 9:41am
Originally posted by bk2la981 bk2la981 wrote:

Making soda mixed with coconut oil seems to work for some people.

WIll try it out and report back. I am guessing baking soda? Not drinking soda?

-------------

Posted By: nala52808
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 9:52am
rub some lemons or limes in your armpit?

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 9:57am
Originally posted by lovelybrown lovelybrown wrote:

Whatever this is. I stopped using sprays and thought roll ons would be kinder, but still got that sore feeling underarm.

I think I mean deodorant. All of them have aluminum in and the ones that don't that I found had BHT which I am allergic to.

thats not true that why i was trying to find out what you meant.  the aluminum is in the antiperspirant.  a deodorant is just for odor not perspiration.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_nr_p_72_0?rh=n%3A3760901%2Ck%3Adeodorant+aluminum+free%2Cp_72%3A1248903011&bbn=3760901&keywords=deodorant+aluminum+free&ie=UTF8&qid=1353426949&rnid=1248901011" rel="nofollow - amazon

Posted By: dejee
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:01am
I too have issues with deodorant but this one works really well for me:

http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/kiehls-superbly-efficient-anti-perspirant-deodorant-cream/2922401?origin=category&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=0" rel="nofollow - http://shop.nordstrom.com/s/kiehls-superbly-efficient-anti-perspirant-deodorant-cream/2922401?origin=category&contextualcategoryid=0&fashionColor=&resultback=0

Posted By: dazed&
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:46am
Lemon juice

Posted By: Yardgirl
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 11:58am
Vitacost.com sells them. The pricing isn't much different than the deodorant with aluminium

http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?ntk=products&ss=1&Ntt=deodorant" rel="nofollow - http://www.vitacost.com/productResults.aspx?ntk=products&ss=1&Ntt=deodorant

-------------

Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 12:32pm
Yes, you can use a mixture of baking soda, corn starch (or arrowroot powder), coconut oil, & your favorite essential oil. Or a half cut lime works well too.

Posted By: zolloh
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 2:43pm
I have very sensitive skin and use Crystal Rock. Its a natural mineral stone, u wet it before use. Bought it at Whole Foods but just saw it at Walgreens the other day.

http://www.thecrystal.com/

Posted By: purpulicious01
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 3:00pm
Have you ever tried making your own?

I recently got into making my own deodorants after researching the ingredients found in deodorants. (studies are finding that many deodorants contain harmful ingredients that are being attributed to increased rate of tumors, breast cancer, etc)

I would advise going the home-made route. You can add your own oils and scents according to your preferences (some of my favorite oils to use are lavender, vanilla, coconut, tangerine, musks. they smell divine.) 

-------------

Posted By: bebe88
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 3:42pm
Plain baking soda on damp armpits.

-------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/BrittaneyRachel

Posted By: MizzAmirah
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 4:20pm
Originally posted by nala52808 nala52808 wrote:

rub some lemons or limes in your armpit?

That's the only one I know of.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 6:34pm
Thank you for all of the responses.  I have tried the mineral rock and that does not work.

The items labelled deodorant in the supermarket have the alumninum in. I'd be happy for recommendations for the ones without. I don't mean perfumed body sprays though.

How does the lemon/lime thing work. It seems it might be sticky?

I have baking soda - will try that after my shower this evening!

And what do you make your deodorants with Purpulicious?

Thank you all!!!! xxxx

-------------

Posted By: osohot
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 6:40pm
Baking soda mixed with a little water

Posted By: dazed&
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by lovelybrown lovelybrown wrote:

Thank you for all of the responses.  I have tried the mineral rock and that does not work.

The items labelled deodorant in the supermarket have the alumninum in. I'd be happy for recommendations for the ones without. I don't mean perfumed body sprays though.

How does the lemon/lime thing work. It seems it might be sticky?

I have baking soda - will try that after my shower this evening!

And what do you make your deodorants with Purpulicious?

Thank you all!!!! xxxx

I just put lemon juice on a cotton ball and apply it that way. Baking soda works well too, but it irritates/darkens my armpits after a while

Posted By: Gumdrop92
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 10:28pm
Baking soda or coconut oil are the only things I have tried.
I usually don't wear deodorant in the cooler months...

-------------
"A miracle is another name for hard work," -Kang Tae Joon 아름다운 그대에게
SL to BSL in 2012

Posted By: ImThatDiva
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 11:27pm
I've used straight up baking soda before when I slept over my friend's house and forgot my deodorant. It worked well. I'm not a person who sweats much so there wasn't an issue with perspiration.

-------------
Mrs.ImThatModdlessDiva
TWERKIN' MY WAY DOWNTOWN
CARS DRIVE PAST
DRIVERS CRASH AND I'M LOWDOWN
-Midna

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 11:33pm

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-BvNP_cOneWI/Tb2IZDcQquI/AAAAAAAAACU/y0Hl0arp_fA/s1600/toms_of_maine_original_care_deodorant_stick_honeysuckle_rose__54665_zoom.jpg

You can buy it at Target/Walmart

Posted By: honeyb87
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 11:36pm
Originally posted by Az~Maverick Az~Maverick wrote:

Yes, you can use a mixture of baking soda, corn starch (or arrowroot powder), coconut oil, & your favorite essential oil. Or a half cut lime works well too.

I just made my own deodorant using these ingredients and it works so well. They key is to use more baking soda or cornstarch so the consistency is dry/powdery (if that's what you like). Too much coconut oil makes the solution runny and (in summer months) your deodorant will melt lol.

-------------
Going through a quarter life crisis. Judge me if you will. No fcks will be given though.

Don't call a b*tch a b*tch unless you like the b*tch

Posted By: khivey
Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 1:59am
I used this spray that my sister bought from Trader Joes. It was a natural deodorant. The ingredients: purified water, mineral salt and an essential oil like lavender for light scent. It was in the summer. It kept me fresh the whole day. I don't know how it holds up when you exercise, but I know I sweat in the summer a bit up under there. I was definitely amazed. I figured I would just make my own because for a 4.5 oz bottle it was quite pricey. I can't find any mineral salt here, so I may just have to have some ordered and sent. 

-------------
Hair Type:3c/4a
Hair Length:SBL
“The approval of others often forms an essential part of our capacity to think we are right.”

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 2:05am
I've tried baking soda on wet freshly showered skin and it really worked but it made my underarms peel horribly

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 4:36pm
So here's my report. I googled home made deodorant after the suggestions on this thread. I did try baking soda last night, but didn't love the feeling on my skin. This morning I got up early and melted some coconut oil and shea butter and a few drops of lemongrass essential oil (which I use to fragrance my hair concoctions if they don't smell great, BUT I discovered it also has antibacterial properties!). I spread a little on my pits after my shower and they still seem fresh. It is winter and cold weather right now.  The test will be the gym.

I appreciate the suggestions.  Hug

-------------

Print Page | Close Window