Print Page | Close Window

Job offer rescinded- Bad Credit

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=351071
Printed Date: Oct 23 2018 at 7:58am

Topic: Job offer rescinded- Bad Credit
Posted By: Ms.Best
Subject: Job offer rescinded- Bad Credit
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:40am
I just got a job offer rescinded- not because of my background or failure to pass a drug test- but because of my poor credit. Granted, I have made some poor financial decisions in the past, specifically when I was eighteen and my first credit card came in the mail. In these tough economic times are employers justified to bar employment soley based on credit history? Or should I wipe my white people tears and call it a "L"?

Replies:
Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:45am
Did the job involve any monetary transactions?  I think it is unfair to base a job offer on one's credit if the job doesn't involve any financial operations.

Some jobs want you to allow them FB access.  Now that's some real invasion of privacy!

Sorry this happened to you.Hug

-------------
Everyone has a role in life. We all can't be CEO's somebody gotta take the orders at Mickey D's & the KFC's -Jewelsync

Posted By: Flowing-Ice
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:46am
take your L, fix your credit. 

-------------
And Jean Paul Gaultier and a Hermes bag and four inch tips made of ostrich ;Sharp enough to slit your wrists her lips spread gossip ;Won't say sorry when she offends

Posted By: nycdiva357
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:47am
a lot of jobs take into account your credit.
especially if its a job-- where you will be working w/ company funds.

its really a horrid situation b/c
w/o a job you can't really fix your bad credit--- and with bad credit its hard to get a job.

keep on applying. and hopefully you will find something better!
hugz

-------------
He follows what I'm saying.. I aint gotta twitter shyt.

Posted By: lexis83
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:48am

Posted By: Bunnyahh
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:51am
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

Did the job involve any monetary transactions?  I think it is unfair to base a job offer on one's credit if the job doesn't involve any financial operations.

Some jobs want you to allow them FB access.  Now that's some real invasion of privacy!

credit history shows your ability to be trustworthy, responsible, accountable & reliable.  All employers look for these traits

-------------
Hi BHM!! Lovely day I'm having. How about you?

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:57am
Credit reports are marketed to employers as a means to gauge an applicant’s character or likelihood to commit theft or fraud. Yet no empirical evidence has demonstrated a correlation between personal credit reports and propensity to commit a crime. In fact, one study recently featured in the New York Times found no such correlation.[3] A spokesperson for TransUnion, one of the major credit reporting companies, even admitted: “we don’t have any research to show any statistical correlation between what’s in somebody’s credit report… and their likelihood to commit fraud.”

Posted By: EasterBell
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:58am
Originally posted by Bunnyahh Bunnyahh wrote:

credit history shows your ability to be trustworthy, responsible, accountable & reliable.  All employers look for these traits
This right here.. Sorry, you are just going to have to take the 'L'. They are allowed to check your credit history, especially if it is a government or defense contractor position (regardless of the position).. It's one of those things that potential employees don't think about, but yeah, that question does come up with some employers. Had a friend not get a job for your same reason.. Now that you are aware of the reason you did not get that job, you can find ways to fix your financial situation in the future (because that just might come up again sometime in the future).  For now, Keep looking and have patience. All employers are not going to ask for that.. Sorry that happened to you..

Posted By: femmefatale85
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 9:03am
Sorry to hear about that. It's unfortunate because how else are you going to improve your credit without a job?

Something similar happened to a friend of mine. He eventually found another job. Good luck.

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 9:04am
how old you is ? 

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 9:05am

Posted By: Junior Jr
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 9:10am
eat it and keep applying Hug

jr.

-------------

Posted By: RoxieDream
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 9:24am
I disagree about it showing your trustworthiness .... especially when it's back from college days. They were giving out free pizzas and t-shirts to college freshman who signed up. We all do not so smart things at that age, it shouldn't be held against you.

-------------
<< Swerve >>

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 9:27am
Originally posted by RoxieDream RoxieDream wrote:

I disagree about it showing your trustworthiness .... especially when it's back from college days. They were giving out free pizzas and t-shirts to college freshman who signed up. We all do not so smart things at that age, it shouldn't be held against you.

on the contract and every credit card slip you sign, it says you promise to repay.  If you break that promise, you are untrustworthy.  pizzas or not

-------------

Posted By: OrriannaRose
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 10:23am

on the contract and every credit card slip you sign, it says you promise to repay.  If you break that promise, you are untrustworthy.  pizzas or not

ShCensoredt happens.

-------------

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 10:26am
Originally posted by nycdiva357 nycdiva357 wrote:

a lot of jobs take into account your credit.
especially if its a job-- where you will be working w/ company funds.

its really a horrid situation b/c
w/o a job you can't really fix your bad credit--- and with bad credit its hard to get a job.

keep on applying. and hopefully you will find something better!
hugz

there's the rub.

smh.

-------------
Chris and Koochie split! - Mrshairdo

Sometimes when sh*t happens...you say fucc - Cyndi Lauper

let's look death in the face and say "whatever man". -Hurley.

Posted By: bubblyboo
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 10:26am
Its complete bull. Sorry. I don't agree with it at all. A person is not a credit score. PERIOD. 

-------------
Cry me a river d*@kface you just got yourself another one!

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 10:32am
It also doesn't take into account those who have bad credit due to medical expenses (which were, not to long ago, the number 1 cause for filing bankruptcy) and divorce.  Credit ratings are a poor way to show trustworthiness.  

-------------
When common sense fails, assume I am taking the piss and being sarcastic.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Posted By: OrriannaRose
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 10:40am
Originally posted by TokyoRose TokyoRose wrote:

It also doesn't take into account those who have bad credit due to medical expenses (which were, not to long ago, the number 1 cause for filing bankruptcy) and divorce.  Credit ratings are a poor way to show trustworthiness.  

-------------

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 11:04am
^^^^^^^^^especially in these times of lost jobs and re-took houses.

-------------
Chris and Koochie split! - Mrshairdo

Sometimes when sh*t happens...you say fucc - Cyndi Lauper

let's look death in the face and say "whatever man". -Hurley.

Posted By: iSMILE13
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 11:10am
All it takes is one medical bill to turn your finances into a nightmare.

-------------
Be humble or get him humbled

Ignore typos...autocorrect won't let me be great

Posted By: whitrhymes
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 11:11am

Poor credit doesn't necessarily mean you don't pay... you just may not be able to pay on time. Many people have the intent to pay, but don't have the means... it happens.

-------------
I know you aint a pimp but pimp remember what I taught ya
Keep your heart 3 stacks, keep your heart

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 11:21am
most likely OP was employed before, and she didn't pay her bills. 
yes, you made stupid decisions, but now you have to try to fix those. 

-------------
And Jean Paul Gaultier and a Hermes bag and four inch tips made of ostrich ;Sharp enough to slit your wrists her lips spread gossip ;Won't say sorry when she offends

Posted By: Faithfully2002
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 11:22am
That's fvcked up.

-------------

Posted By: val48066
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 11:51am
creditboards.com has info and tools you can use to fix your credit. 

-------------

Posted By: honeyb87
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 11:53am
Yeah it's a catch 22 situation. I didn't make the best financial situations when I was in college, especially freshman year. I had the means to pay off my debt eventually, but bills will be due regardless if you have the funds to pay it or not, and the consequences are inevitable. 

-------------
Going through a quarter life crisis. Judge me if you will. No fcks will be given though.

Don't call a b*tch a b*tch unless you like the b*tch

Posted By: pinkdiemond
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 12:18pm
Originally posted by bunzaveli bunzaveli wrote:

how old you is ? 

what?  come on now bunz

-------------
Janice 3:16 For Janice so loved the world she gave her only begotten hair that whoever believes in Her shall not perish but have everlasting virginity

Posted By: Spokenword
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 12:19pm
yep, it can and does happen all the time. what type of job was it?

and besides the reasons of trustworthiness, judgment, etc. depending on the job, they also look at coercion. do you have the type of job that could put the company at risks if someone bribes you to pay off debt.  this is mostly true for government jobs. they do take into account school loans, so it is normally other things you default on.  

try to go ahead and repair and set up payments.  if its the type of job that tells you they will do checks, do not apply until you fix it up.

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 12:22pm
Originally posted by Elohim_is_Love Elohim_is_Love wrote:

Some people live in a fantasy world where nothing can happen to them. Well, things happen to people who thought life could never affect them.

-------------
Having a bunch of sexual partners doesn't mean you're a free spirit and expressing yourself...it means your a hoe. -call

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 12:23pm
......dbl post

-------------
Having a bunch of sexual partners doesn't mean you're a free spirit and expressing yourself...it means your a hoe. -call

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 12:58pm
I'm sorry this happened!

If you're applying in banking/accounting ... maybe shift your focus to corporate retail, logistics, manufacturing, etc

give you the opportunity to make some money and get your credit right and get more experience

Posted By: tropical-punch
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 1:00pm
Not only do they do this but they can send you a rejection letter before you even submit your app. True story. 

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 1:02pm
especially if you're applying to any type of financial institution. 

Posted By: miana79
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 1:03pm
what was the job title???

Posted By: iSMILE13
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 1:06pm
Wvery job that deals with finances dont check your credit history. Some are satisfied with a background check. I know what it feels like to have a job offer rescinded

-------------
Be humble or get him humbled

Ignore typos...autocorrect won't let me be great

Posted By: Miss SDY
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 1:19pm
Originally posted by bubblyboo bubblyboo wrote:

Its complete bull. Sorry. I don't agree with it at all. A person is not a credit score. PERIOD. 

This.

I'm sorry this happened to you. For every person who has bad credit due to being irresponsible, there are several people who have bad credit due to circumstances out of their control.

People lose their jobs. People get sick. Things sometimes happen beyond your control. Try for another job and do your best to repair your credit with what you have going.

-------------
http://daisypath.com" rel="nofollow">

NL----[SL]----APL----BSB----BSL

Closing in on APL!!!

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 1:31pm
Originally posted by miana79 miana79 wrote:

The job was cash control clerk with a well known company in Manhattan. I got as far as I did with this company due to my previous banking experience. This is not my first time working around large amts. Of cash and my credit has never been an issue. This job rescinding their offer caught me by surprise.

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by miana79 miana79 wrote:

it really doesn't matter. I don't handle money nor am I expose to customer information but my credit score was a factor. 

Posted By: zsazsa
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 1:33pm
lol watch all the self righteous peeps rush in. 

You will find something better op.  

Posted By: Quiann00
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 1:41pm
This happened to me but my credit was A +++
However, a person who I was an authorized user on their card stopped paying their credit card, and although it didn't effect my credit score, that particular credit card delinquency was reported on my credit report.  According to the Fair credit reporting act, it shouldn't have been on my credit report because it wasn't my credit, and my credit worthiness wasn't determined for that line of credit.  They immediately took it off my report, but it still cost me a job.

And the job had nothing to do with money.

-------------
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."-Eleanor Roosevelt

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 1:44pm
when you're searching for employment. you are basically a compilation of a whole bunch of numbers. 
thats just how things work. 

-------------

Posted By: hauteshellbi
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 1:48pm
I worked at Ed hardy years ago and they checked my credit I saw it on my credit report recently I was like

-------------
Men fake a relationship to get a nut, Women fake a nut to get a relationship- himayn10ence

Posted By: ScorpioLuv
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 1:53pm
Obama is trying to make that illegal unless ur actually dealing with money. In these times, in this recession a bunch of people have bad credit, what do employers expect? But u can't pay to fix ur credit if no one will hire u. It's as dumb as employers not hiring anyone that doesn't have experience but how the hell are u supposed to get experience if no one will hire u?

Edited for spelling (damn autocorrect)

-------------
Sons of bitches,smh

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 1:56pm
good luck OP

-------------

PEACE

Posted By: BeatriceBean
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 2:01pm
best wishes, OP. I'm sure that something will come up soon.

It certainly doesn't seem like the best way to measure trustworthiness with the prevalence of identity theft. My god-daughter was denied a job within the past year at a law firm after finding out that her information from her last job had been compromised, and might be compromised forever.

-------------
Life is good!

Posted By: femmemichelle
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 2:06pm
I sense butt hurtedness in this here thread. Yall got bad credit, too??

Posted By: smaison
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 2:15pm

i never fell for it Approve

op all you can do is take the L.

fix your credit and good luck.

-------------
"I don't give a flying pretzel in skittle rainbow hell"

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 2:17pm
Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

best wishes, OP. I'm sure that something will come up soon.

It certainly doesn't seem like the best way to measure trustworthiness with the prevalence of identity theft. My god-daughter was denied a job within the past year at a law firm after finding out that her information from her last job had been compromised, and might be compromised forever.

was it compromised by the last job? What a mess! We got a letter from IBM about 5 years ago about some lost data tapes that contained SSN's.  I'm still on the lookout for something to pop off with that because they haven't been located yet.

-------------

PEACE

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 2:17pm

ahhh why y'all gotta bring shade considering she's talking about her real life, a real job 

Posted By: Sinnamon_Mami
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 6:17pm
Sorry that happened but let's be honest, they put credit in the factor because most poor and black people have bad credit. I may get stoned for saying that but it's true: it's another way to discriminate.. I got denied a job because of credit (job loss) but I kept pushing and got a better job... Don't let it stop you, and don't feel bad about these people saying sh8t. Things happen and you will fix it,

-------------

Posted By: Ladycoils
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 6:22pm
Take it as a lose and work on improving your credit when you are in the position.

-------------
To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are.

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 6:25pm
Originally posted by Sinnamon_Mami Sinnamon_Mami wrote:

Sorry that happened but let's be honest, they put credit in the factor because most poor and black people have bad credit. I may get stoned for saying that but it's true: it's another way to discriminate.. I got denied a job because of credit (job loss) but I kept pushing and got a better job... Don't let it stop you, and don't feel bad about these people saying sh8t. Things happen and you will fix it,

you're not the first person i have heard say this.  someone told me that is their theory as to why FL denies so many people [most of them minorities i presume] admission to the bar.

i know this is something they discuss a lot at school.  they're like get your credit right before you take the bar.

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 6:27pm
while everyone telling her to fix her credit is nice, that takes years. it is not a quick fix.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 6:36pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

you're not the first person i have heard say this.  someone told me that is their theory as to why FL denies so many people [most of them minorities i presume] admission to the bar.

i know this is something they discuss a lot at school.  they're like get your credit right before you take the bar.
What does credit have to do with a licensing exam? Fla is just a f*cked up state.

-------------
Sons of bitches,smh

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by ScorpioLuv ScorpioLuv wrote:

What does credit have to do with a licensing exam? Fla is just a f*cked up state.

as an attorney you are also a fiduciary--which means you handle other people's money. there are strict rules on even the kind of accounts you can put a clients money into and what you're supposed to do with the interest.  it's not just FL but there are general rules of professional responsibility

but i heard FL is very strict about that.  i haven't researched it since i don't plan on being barred there.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 6:44pm
lol. i remember my prof showing us the newspaper where they shamed all those lawyers in florida.
that's enough to ever keep my ass out of trouble. 

Dead

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 6:46pm

Originally posted by ScorpioLuv ScorpioLuv wrote:

as an attorney you are also a fiduciary--which means you handle other people's money. there are strict rules on even the kind of accounts you can put a clients money into and what you're supposed to do with the interest.  it's not just FL but there are general rules of professional responsibility

but i heard FL is very strict about that.  i haven't researched it since i don't plan on being barred there.
O ok, I understand

-------------
Sons of bitches,smh

Posted By: Gumdrop92
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 7:43pm
Sorry to hear that. My current job did a credit check. I think it's ridiculous but you'll find something else Hug

Go to creditkarma.com if you want tips on improving your score

-------------
"A miracle is another name for hard work," -Kang Tae Joon 아름다운 그대에게
SL to BSL in 2012

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 7:48pm
can't relate, my credit is bad, but my resume is badder...

-------------
God forgive me for my brash delivery
But I remember vividly what these streets did to me

Posted By: HowardAlumAKA
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 7:55pm
What type of job was it? Collections? That's the only time I know an employer would check......I mean, why am I gonna let you try to collect on past due accounts when you past due yourself?

Posted By: used2braid
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 7:59pm

If my employers looked at the way I managed my personal stuff (room, car, purse) and saw how messy I was, I bet they'd boot me out of the contracting divisions since my position requires paying attention to fine details.

I think its wrong...

-------------

Posted By: petiteone29
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 7:59pm

while everyone telling her to fix her credit is nice, that takes years. it is not a quick fix.

this. you have to pay it off and then rebuild. that takes time.

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by whitrhymes whitrhymes wrote:

Poor credit doesn't necessarily mean you don't pay... you just may not be able to pay on time. Many people have the intent to pay, but don't have the means... it happens.
poor credit means you didn't pay OR didn't pay on time.  When you signed up for the card, there were user agreements, guidelines, grace periods & all that stuff written out.  Most slips look like this

see how it says I agree to pay the above total according to the card agreement.  That's all I'm saying

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:08pm
Originally posted by used2braid used2braid wrote:

If my employers looked at the way I managed my personal stuff (room, car, purse) and saw how messy I was, I bet they'd boot me out of the contracting divisions since my position requires paying attention to fine details.

I think its wrong...
oh well.  companies choose who they want how they want.  They have many requirements that ppl may not think is fair, ie:personal references, drug testing, finger printing, prior experience, credit checks etc... 
It's no different than the dating world & a person having their list of requirements in order to date/marry.  Ppl want what they want

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:10pm
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

can't relate, my credit is bad, but my resume is badder...

LOL

-------------

Posted By: Samoneisthebest
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:19pm
This thread is scaring me a little. I don't have credit.

-------------
Can't even twerk no mo. They tired out. Lets ride out.

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:21pm

some folk are so bougie they don't know what to with themselves......

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by Samoneisthebest Samoneisthebest wrote:

right. I don't have any credit either...this is ridiculous...

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:24pm

Get credit now & keep it in good standing

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:24pm

that shouldn't hurt you in this instance. it's bad credit that is hurting her.

-------------

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:25pm
Originally posted by ModelessDiva ModelessDiva wrote:

some folk are so bougie they don't know what to with themselves......

and so dang rude too.. ugh have some empathy for pete's sakeOuch

-------------
Women, midwest, WO-MEN. I know you're stunted in height but I didn't know that your shortcomings extended to your brain function - ImThatDiva

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:26pm
This 56 yr guy wanted to buy my house. They did a credit check and he didn't have any.

The lady told him that he may have a hard time because people would think something is wrong with someone who has never established credit, and that maybe he was in jail or something...

come to find out, he'd been to jailStern Smile

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:26pm

no credit is worse than bad credit in a lot of instances i've learned

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:29pm

someone is lying to you. Just establish credit. Have you taken out any student loans? Didn't you get a car with a loan?

-------------

Posted By: petiteone29
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:30pm

i dont think its worse i think they consider it just as bad though. im not 100% sure

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:31pm

aren't you like 20? it makes sense that you do not have credit. how would you pay off your cards if you do not have steady full time employment?  weren't you considering buying a car? that would establish credit if you find a cosigner. don't go around opening a whole bunch of useless credit cards.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:31pm

exactly, that's why I said to get it NOW & not when u want something.  You will go to get a car, home or personal loan & then you'll be denied.  Build it now so by the time ur ready, you'll be approved

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:39pm

Yea I'm 20.

And yes I was looking for a car this summer, with absolutely NO luck!! NONE!! I even hit rock bottom and went to the pay here buy here lots..

No one would approve me because I have no credit, and a lot of people told me if I had a really horrible score they could work with me....but since I have 0...they have to say no.

which is stupid...

I saved a good amount and bought a nice car cash...but still...

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

someone is lying to you. Just establish credit. Have you taken out any student loans? Didn't you get a car with a loan?

no one told me this...I've experienced it on my own

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:47pm
and why haven't tried to get a credit card by now MD?

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:48pm

I can't get a credit card

can't take out a loan

can't get financed for anything...

nothing I've already tried everything

how the HECK do I ever get to establish credit if I can't get approved for ish

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:49pm

and why haven't tried to get a credit card by now MD?

no credit card company will approve me bunny

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:49pm
i think they have changed regulations about how college students can receive credit.  they've legit limited it bc so many ppl were getting okey-doked.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:53pm

can't take out a loan

try starting off with a store card......target, macy, kohls, jcp, etc. 

and creditboards.com has listings of credit cards most likely to approve people.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:54pm

i think they have changed regulations about how college students can receive credit.  they've legit limited it bc so many ppl were getting okey-doked.

they did...I think back in 2008

it's damn near impossible now

even the student cards require some credit to be approved

-------------

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:55pm

can't take out a loan

You have to be 21 to get a CC without a cosigner. 
You can get student loans.
Get a small one and pay it back.

OP,

I would contact each of the biggest credit bureaus (I think it's Transunion, Experian and Equifax) and get a credit report from each.  Go directly to their site and sign up.  You should be able to get a free report every 12 months.  Nowadays, if you go through one credit bureau, you can pay a fee and get all three reports.  But it's best to have all three from the different credit reporting agencies because they all have a different grading scale.  So you may have a 700 credit score with one and a 800 with another bureau because they all don't have the same credit information. 

Go through the reports, circle the people you owe, call them and set up payment arrangements.  Pay what you can, $20, $50, whatever it is, pay it according to the terms set.

I think the credit bureaus update their information every quarter. So if you pay something off, you will still have to wait.  But once you pay it off, contact the creditor and the credit bureau and make sure they take if off your report. Then get another report, maybe 6 months later to make sure the delinquency was taken off. I believe in a years time you can improve your credit this way.

-------------
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."-Eleanor Roosevelt

Originally posted by val48066 val48066 wrote:

can't take out a loan

try starting off with a store card......target, macy, kohls, jcp, etc. 

and creditboards.com has listings of credit cards most likely to approve people.

I've tried store cards too but even Victoria's secret declined me a couple weeks ago

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:58pm

I think what's fcking me up is the fact that I have so many credit inquiries now because I've been trying so much...

this whole system is ish

-------------

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:59pm
Why are you so worried about credit?
You plan on buying a house tomorrow?

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:59pm
Good advice has already been given so here's a hug to err'one, especially the OP.Hug

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

can't take out a loan

You have to be 21 to get a CC without a cosigner. 
You can get student loans.
Get a small one and pay it back.

thx
a student loan is worth a try...

do you know the smallest you can take out?

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 9:01pm
you can take out any amt I believe, up to the max. That's a smart idea.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 9:03pm
listen to Val, those are good stores to start.  You should get it. AND check out the cards that have an annual fee & low credit limit.  Those always approve cuz they are the worst.  After the cards start rolling in, cancel the one with an annual fee.  Also, what happened to the Suze Ormond one that helps you get credit?  You said u were gonna look into that

-------------

Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Why are you so worried about credit?
You plan on buying a house tomorrow?

No, but you need it for renting apartments, and opening credit cards...

I have an apartment now but I loathe paying a big extra deposit for lack of credit

-------------

Originally posted by Quiann00 Quiann00 wrote:

OP,

I would contact each of the biggest credit bureaus (I think it's Transunion, Experian and Equifax) and get a credit report from each.  Go directly to their site and sign up.  You should be able to get a free report every 12 months.  Nowadays, if you go through one credit bureau, you can pay a fee and get all three reports.  But it's best to have all three from the different credit reporting agencies because they all have a different grading scale.  So you may have a 700 credit score with one and a 800 with another bureau because they all don't have the same credit information. 

Go through the reports, circle the people you owe, call them and set up payment arrangements.  Pay what you can, $20, $50, whatever it is, pay it according to the terms set.

I think the credit bureaus update their information every quarter. So if you pay something off, you will still have to wait.  But once you pay it off, contact the creditor and the credit bureau and make sure they take if off your report. Then get another report, maybe 6 months later to make sure the delinquency was taken off. I believe in a years time you can improve your credit this way.

This is good information but I disagree with the order.  The first thing the OP should do is check the statute of limitations in her state.  If any items are past the SOL, she should dispute these items to have them removed from her credit report. OP, creditboards.com really has a ton of information for fixing your credit most expeditiously.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 9:05pm
even tho my son is underaged, I think I'mma start to establish his credit b4 2013 is out, so he'll be set by the time he's 18/21

-------------

Posted By: joileprincess
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 9:07pm
Modeless, if your school has a credit union you can try to get a card through them. That may be easier for you since they may a student card and/or a decent interest rate.

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 9:09pm

listen to Val, those are good stores to start.  You should get it. AND check out the cards that have an annual fee & low credit limit.  Those always approve cuz they are the worst.  After the cards start rolling in, cancel the one with an annual fee.  Also, what happened to the Suze Ormond one that helps you get credit?  You said u were gonna look into that

cancelling the card will make her take a hit to her fledgling credit 
she can just get one that has a $500 credit limit. OP that is how i started to rebuild my credit. ignore the cards that charge you a fee.

again you should just wait until you have some sort of steady employment. then you won't have to take out as many crappy cards, can truly be selective, and not risk late payments. life happens and sometimes you need the cash you would have used on your cards for something else.

or like someone said get a student loan bc that is "good credit" but be careful with private student loans. or get a credit card through your bank.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 9:14pm
Originally posted by val48066 val48066 wrote:

Originally posted by Quiann00 Quiann00 wrote:

OP,

This is good information but I disagree with the order.  The first thing the OP should do is check the statute of limitations in her state.  If any items are past the SOL, she should dispute these items to have them removed from her credit report. OP, creditboards.com really has a ton of information for fixing your credit most expeditiously.

That's true about the SOL.  I forgot about that.  These were the steps I was advised to take when I was completing an SF86

-------------

Print Page | Close Window