Print Page | Close Window

is discrimination THIS blatant??

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=351029
Printed Date: Oct 16 2018 at 10:14pm

Topic: is discrimination THIS blatant??
Posted By: ms_wonderland
Subject: is discrimination THIS blatant??
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 3:06am
I was reading this on bossip before bed and it was kinda interesting...

UNEMPLOYED BLACK WOMAN PRETENDS TO BE WHITE AND SUDDENLY GETS HUGE INCREASE IN JOB OFFERS!

For two years, I have been unemployed. In the beginning, I applied to more than three hundred open positions in the insurance industry—an industry that I’ve worked in for the previous ten years. Not one employer responded to my resume. So, I enrolled back into college to finish my degree. After completing school this past May, I resumed my search for employment and was quite shocked that I wasn’t getting a single response. I usually applied for positions advertised on the popular website Monster.com. I’d used it in the past and have been successful in obtaining jobs through it.

Two years ago, I noticed that Monster.com had added a “diversity questionnaire” to the site. This gives an applicant the opportunity to identify their sex and race to potential employers. Monster.com guarantees that this “option” will not jeopardize your chances of gaining employment. You must answer this questionnaire in order to apply to a posted position—it cannot be skipped. At times, I would mark off that I was a Black female, but then I thought, this might be hurting my chances of getting employed, so I started selecting the “decline to identify” option instead. That still had no effect on my getting a job. So I decided to try an experiment: I created a fake job applicant and called her Bianca White.

First, I created an email account and resume for Bianca. I kept the same employment history and educational background on her resume that was listed on my own. But I removed my home phone number, kept my listed cell phone number, and changed my cell phone greeting to say, “You have reached Bianca White. Please leave a message.” Then I created an online Monster.com account, listed Bianca as a White woman on the diversity questionnaire, and activated the account.

That very same day, I received a phone call. The next day, my phone line and Bianca’s email address, were packed with potential employers calling for an interview. I was stunned. More shocking was that some employers, mostly Caucasian-sounding women, were calling Bianca more than once, desperate to get an interview with her. All along, my real Monster.com account was open and active; but, despite having the same background as Bianca, I received no phone calls.Two jobs actually did email me and Bianca at the same time. But they were commission only sales positions. Potential positions offering a competitive salary and benefits all went to Bianca.

At the end of my little experiment, (which lasted a week), Bianca White had received nine phone calls—I received none. Bianca had received a total of seven emails, while I’d only received two, which again happen to have been the same emails Bianca received. Let me also point out that one of the emails that contacted Bianca for a job wanted her to relocate to a different state, all expenses paid, should she be willing to make that commitment. In the end, a total of twenty-four employers looked at Bianca’s resume while only ten looked at mines.

My little experiment certainly proved a few things. First, I learned that answering the diversity questionnaire on job sites such as Monster.com’s may work against minorities, as employers are judging whom they hire based on it. Second, I learned to suspect that resumes with ethnic names may go into the wastebasket and never see the light of day.

Other than being chronically out of work, I embarked on this little experiment because of a young woman I met while I was in school. She was a twenty-two-year-old Caucasian woman who, like myself, was about to graduate. She was so excited about a job she had just gotten with a well-known sporting franchise. She had no prior work experience and had applied for a clerical position, but was offered a higher post as an executive manager making close to six figures. I was curious to know how she’d been able to land such a position. She was candid in telling me that the human resource person who’d hired her just “liked” her and told her that she deserved to be in a higher position. The HR person was also Caucasian.

do you guys think there is more to this story?  or was it just as easy as becoming White lady??  do you always choose 'black' or 'decline to identify' for fear of the same thing?  I didn't even know that HR people had access to the answers on those questionnaires.

the article does not say her name, for obvious reasons, but it makes me wonder if she has an "ethnic" name.  we all know the deal with that.

Replies:
Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 3:09am
I haven't found that it has worked against me but then again there might be so much demand that I still get a lot of responses

maybe just not as many as I could have

very interesting, very concerning

Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 3:11am
I've never had to check off a race box on Monster but I do believe situations like this do happen. I forgot exactly where I saw it but a black university professor did the same thing and got a huge response. Also the book Freakonomics discusses this same issue. The professor might have been on the PBS special Race- The Power of an Illusion. 

Posted By: **Sk!TtLeS B**
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 3:26am
Of course it's that blatant. My mother's friend, who has a really ethnic Latino name, wanted to go back to school so she requested information from a university. I dont remember which school, but she requested info several times, and they kept sending her brochures from the "ethnic studies" departments even though she requested info from the business school. Eventually, she used her white sounding nickname and got the info she asked for. Ermm

-------------
Im making a political statement every time I make my ass clap - Ru Paul

Posted By: starflower7
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 3:31am

Also, jmo, but I don't see how having a white name could possibly help you since when you show up for the interview you are still black. 

ETA: Edited because the rest of what I said didn't come out right.

-------------
"I give to the needy...and not the greedy!"

"Mm hm that's right!"

Posted By: sistagal
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 3:33am
I have been thinking of trying that & seeing if I do get any replies to my applications! I really wouldn't be surprised if I did.

But would that not just jeopardise the job search?

Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 3:36am
When I was a teen I tried using shortened versions of my name which sound white/universal but I didn't notice any difference. I guess it doesn't really matter when applying for bubble gum jobs.

-------------

"Mm hm that's right!"

Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 3:36am
If you have a white sounding middle name then use it. Just say most people call you so-and-so. Good luck on the job search! 

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 3:38am
Yeah, that's pretty blatant...and sad.

I always hate answering that question. I really don't see why they need to know, and saying I decline to answer would make me feel like I have to hide who I am.

And people say racism and prejudice don't exist these days...

Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 3:44am

-------------

"Mm hm that's right!"

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 3:53am
I believe it 100%.

I know when I took my education off of my resume, within a week or so I was getting multiple calls up from zero calls for months. My Asian friend has a college education (less than me though) and was able to land a good secretary gig (No education required) after a month of looking and didn't have to take off her education. Now, I'm glad she got the job but Stern Smile

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 4:01am
You went to a HBCU, CC??

-------------

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 4:24am
^For my first year. After that I transferred out.

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Posted By: Faithfully2002
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 8:16am
Wow that's crazy.

-------------

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 9:09am
I believe it

-------------
God forgive me for my brash delivery
But I remember vividly what these streets did to me

Posted By: mzmee
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 9:21am
Originally posted by ms_wonderland ms_wonderland wrote:

the article does not say her name, for obvious reasons, but it makes me wonder if she has an "ethnic" name.  we all know the deal with that.
Her name is Yolanda Spivey. Says it here in this article.

http://www.kprs.com/Blog/JuleeJonez/BlogEntry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10467172" rel="nofollow - http://www.kprs.com/Blog/JuleeJonez/BlogEntry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10467172

-------------
Everything I'm not makes me everything I am.

Posted By: nikietc
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 9:21am
My mom has a white-sounding name and gets recruited for jobs all the time. They call her, send her all these incentives, fly her out, and then drop their jaws when they see she's black. It's hard for them to back-track when there's a huge paper trail of them wanting her, so she still gets offered positions.

But when there are white women interviewing at the same time as she is, she often doesn't get the position, even if she found out that the white woman had less experience. 

-------------
-----
"Shoes are important things for a woman. Good shoes will take you to good places." ~Min Seo Hyun, Boys Over Flowers

Posted By: Im_oh_so_hott
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 9:26am
Yes it is, and I've experienced it.

-------------
BSS?! that's like the dirtiest thing you can say in BHM. Why are you thinking of going Bootleg? - BaileyAlexandria

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 9:34am
I don't have any problems believing it. I've dealt with this kind of discrimination in the workplace in good ole "polite and fair-minded" Canada and so have my siblings, so yes, I can definitely see this happening. Looks like this race-based questionnaires might be doing more harm than good

Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 10:11am
[QUOTE=Im_oh_so_hott]Yes it is, and I've experienced it.[/QUOTE]

Yupp

Posted By: iBetYouhNvNika
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 10:21am
Makes sense I have an EXTREMELY "ghetto" name

-------------
nihoa-zaijan.tumblr.com/

Posted By: hauteshellbi
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 10:40am
I always check 2 or more races...I did that 1 time and got 2 phone interviews, I was applying to that position for a while when I changed the race I got a call back

-------------
Men fake a relationship to get a nut, Women fake a nut to get a relationship- himayn10ence

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 11:03am
I think I am experiencing something similar.. So I have been checking "decline to answer" now.
Still no luck though..
Sucks but that's the way things are

Posted By: browneyez4548
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 11:16am
Originally posted by ShadyLady ShadyLady wrote:

Yeah, that's pretty blatant...and sad.

I always hate answering that question. I really don't see why they need to know, and saying I decline to answer would make me feel like I have to hide who I am.

And people say racism and prejudice don't exist these days...

This.

smh

-------------

Posted By: ScorpioLuv
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 11:21am
Not surprising, they showed this in the doc Freakonomics

-------------
Sons of bitches,smh

Posted By: Bunnyahh
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 11:26am
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

I think I am experiencing something similar.. So I have been checking "decline to answer" now.
Still no luck though..
they know ur declining cuz ur not white.  just check white like the article did.  She didn't get much response as a blk or anonymous, but many offers as white

-------------
Hi BHM!! Lovely day I'm having. How about you?

Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Bunnyahh Bunnyahh wrote:

Still no luck though..
they know ur declining cuz ur not white.  just check white like the article did.  She didn't get much response as a blk or anonymous, but many offers as white

I think my name would give it away..
But I'll try it just to see what happens
I met a white girl named kye'lashay whos in the same field as me and she got a job.. so maybe there's hope.

Posted By: laceyfront
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 11:46am
Originally posted by starflower7 starflower7 wrote:

Also, jmo, but I don't see how having a white name could possibly help you since when you show up for the interview you are still black. 

ETA: Edited because the rest of what I said didn't come out right.

I've said this so many times in the AA baby names vs YT baby names thread. Apparently the Yt name gets your foot in the door for you to coon it up at the interview and once show them what type of negro you can be, you're in there like swimwear! Stern Smile

Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 11:51am
oh well coco & lacey, idk what to say.  Maybe you can use your middle names or initials of ur 1st & middle names like P F Chang, D L Hughly, etc...

This is something that ladies REALLY need to think about when naming their kids.  Enough of the "it sounds cute or it has meaning" names.  Give them something that wont hold them back in the corporate world.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 11:58am
My middle name is Kinda black too.. My first and middle initials are T.T......

Ill try this lil experiment.. If clicking white can get my foot in the door, I'm fine With that cus i only apply to 1 place because it is the highest paying and one of the best places.. and I know they'll love and be impressed with me once they talk to me.
I won't be "cooning it up" just being myself which always gets me far.

Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 12:10pm
Originally posted by mzmee mzmee wrote:

Her name is Yolanda Spivey. Says it here in this article.

http://www.kprs.com/Blog/JuleeJonez/BlogEntry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10467172" rel="nofollow - http://www.kprs.com/Blog/JuleeJonez/BlogEntry.aspx?BlogEntryID=10467172

that name is racially ambiguous isnt it?  I have met older white women named Yolanda.  Maybe from here on out she should just mark herself as white.  

Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 12:14pm
Originally posted by Positive K Positive K wrote:

This is interesting. I actually have a friend that said the complete opposite lol. He's a black dude with a generic white name. He said he wished he had a more black sounding name so he would be called back for "diversity"quotas. He was having trouble finding a job last year but I wonder if he finally found one now.

I would think this would be true too...with the economy the way it is, i was under the misconception that companies were given tax incentives to hire out of work african americans or people previously on government assistance.

I always check Black b/c i am proud of my resume but the next time i look for a job i am going to to pick White b/c I have a white name anyway.

Posted By: SeducTress
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 12:25pm
I believe it!

My middle name is hella white. Think a'la..... Blanche. Kirsten. Katie. 

My last name is Irish.

My first name is masculine, Muslim. Very in yo face ethnic. lol

I submitted resumes in the past using only my middle name and last name. 

Y'all would NOT have been amused by the glaring increase of expressed interest. Smdh. Ouch

I'm talmbout emails and calls skyrocketing. 

I wish it were untrue. But I experienced it firsthand.

For the record I stay in a pretty progressive part of the country. Annnnnd I conducted this lil experiment during the height of our "post racial" society. 

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 12:31pm
Just a tip. For those who are looking for a job and plan on clicking on "white", make sure that A. Your facebook name isnt under your real name and/or B. remove the option of showing up on google searches (should be under your security options). Good luck Thumbs Up

Random: Yts get on my damn nerves.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 12:35pm
Also, I recommend that folks google their name just to see what comes up and work on removing the things that can be removed if they work against you

-------------

Posted By: EasterBell
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 1:32pm
Yeah, it's quite obivious in her case.. However, I have monster and careerbuilder account with my ethnicity selected and got a good amount of calls.. So, if there was some of that going on, in my case, I didn't notice..As far as my name goes, I guess some people are intrigued by it because you really can't label it black or white. I use to get the "you have a nice name. Where you born on Easter?", which, of course, leads to me explaining it to employers. Made for good conversation.

Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 2:35pm
As far as checking your race, I don't think employers have access to that info. They just keep it on record for EEOC purposes. 

-------------

"Mm hm that's right!"

Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 2:37pm
Originally posted by starflower7 starflower7 wrote:

As far as checking your race, I don't think employers have access to that info. They just keep it on record for EEOC purposes. 

that's what i thought too b/c it says that before you answer...that's why i am confused by all of this.  besides changing her name, how did they know she was white if the HR people don't have access to the questionnaire?

Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 2:39pm
Also Bianca White is of course a white name (Bianca means white) but I knew someone who knew a black girl named Bianca. She could have been of any race. I don't see how Bianca is really any whiter than Yolanda. Well maybe a ilttle bit.

-------------

"Mm hm that's right!"

Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 2:44pm
Oh they can't see what race you put?

I didn't know that.. I just sent in like 4 apps with white checked getting all excited cus I thought I was about to instantly get an interview now :-/

Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 2:45pm
i've only met yorkie's and 2 black women named Bianca...i wish we could actually see the resumes side by side.  i do believe this type of thing happens all the time i just think the bigger story would then become the release of answers to the questionnaire when you are told it is confidential.  it makes me very uneasy.

Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 2:47pm

Oh they can't see what race you put?

I didn't know that.. I just sent in like 4 apps with white checked getting all excited cus I thought I was about to instantly get an interview now :-/

LOLLOL that's the big mystery....we will find out now. Clap

Posted By: pattigurlatl
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 4:25pm
My bestie works in HR and has always said to never fill out the diversity forms.

-------------
Harriet Tubman - I freed a thousands slaves. I would have freed more had they known they were slaves.

Michael Harriot - She wouldn't have freed any if she was worried about her hair.

Posted By: MinnyMiss16
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 4:35pm
Its true for many companies. I took a course called Race Relations and the same experiment was done but with stereotypical names used not specific races, so it would be Shannon and Shanequa then David and Dequan and I believe the white names were chosen for offers four times more than the black names.

Posted By: r0ck_starr
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 4:38pm
My boyfriend has checked off white on many apps and got the job. Then they see this tall, black, very lightskinned guy come through and get shell shocked. 

I typically check of biracial black and white to keep them confused or nothing at all.

Posted By: RoxieDream
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 6:04pm
I've been thinking about trying this

I read an article where a girl said she submitted a resume, got no responses. So she changed the name, kept the resume and she got called back for it

-------------
<< Swerve >>

Posted By: BoutThatLife
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 6:47pm
Are people really shocked? I know I'm not. Harvard Univ came out with a study stating a white ex-con will get hired faster than a black man w/ a degree and no record. sh*ts real outchea

I remember pounding the pavement for my first job, I went to every restaurant in a 2 mile radius of my house. I walked in one place in particular that had a WE'RE HIRING sign outside. I walked in and they told me right away that they were no longer hiring. They would not even give me an application. Maybe they forgot to take the WE'RE HIRING sign downSleepy A month later they hired 2 of my white classmates on the spot.

that was my first eye opener of blatant job discrimination. I dont let this "post racial" harmony bullshyt fool me, it's the same shyt different day. They cant put up "WHITES ONLY" signs anymore but they sure can block you in other ways.  Even at the job I'm working part time now, they rarely give  blacks any hours, but they'll go out of their way to make sure Becky and Todd got a full schedule and even call them up and ask if they want extra days.  Whites look out for each other point blank and since they're the majority population and own most of the companies, the effects are tremendous.  Shyt aint gonna change so black people need to own their own sh*t and hire each other just like they do. Stop being the employees and be the employers, thats the only way to hit that discrimination head on

-------------
I AM THE AUTHOR OF MY OWN SCRIPT AND I PLAY BY MY RULES.

POSITIVITY + LOVE AND ALL GOOD THINGS SURROUND ME

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 6:52pm
But isn't lying on an application automatic grounds for not hiring and/or firing someone though?

How does "showing up black having checked white" work IRL?

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 6:55pm
Originally posted by FarraFace FarraFace wrote:

But isn't lying on an application automatic grounds for not hiring and/or firing someone though?

Good question ....

-------------
<< Swerve >>

Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 6:56pm
I see job postings on CraigsList that even ask for you to submit a photo .... I guess it's to save you a trip for an interview if your name or resume doesn't give away what your ethnicity is 

-------------
<< Swerve >>

Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 6:56pm

"oops, my hand slipped?" Evil Smile

-------------

Posted By: Flowing-Ice
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by RoxieDream RoxieDream wrote:

I see job postings on CraigsList that even ask for you to submit a photo .... I guess it's to save you a trip for an interview if your name or resume doesn't give away what your ethnicity is 

i think they wanna see how attractive the person is. 

-------------
And Jean Paul Gaultier and a Hermes bag and four inch tips made of ostrich ;Sharp enough to slit your wrists her lips spread gossip ;Won't say sorry when she offends

Posted By: bindy
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 7:00pm
I saw an ad where the resumes were to be hand delivered by the applicant (not faxed or emailed).

Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 7:01pm
Originally posted by bindy bindy wrote:

I saw an ad where the resumes were to be hand delivered by the applicant (not faxed or emailed).

do you remember what type of job that was for?

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 7:03pm
Originally posted by **Sk!TtLeS B** **Sk!TtLeS B** wrote:

"oops, my hand slipped?" Evil Smile

-------------

Posted By: bindy
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 7:03pm

Originally posted by bindy bindy wrote:

do you remember what type of job that was for?

a few months ago......an office receptionist type job......

Posted By: Flowing-Ice
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 7:05pm

i don't think they'd bring it up. lol. 

-------------
And Jean Paul Gaultier and a Hermes bag and four inch tips made of ostrich ;Sharp enough to slit your wrists her lips spread gossip ;Won't say sorry when she offends

Posted By: BoutThatLife
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 7:09pm
A lot of office receptionist jobs want you to personally hand in the application. I think a lot of that is so they can have bad bitch for the job instead of an average or ugly woman or even man...but then again I wonder if an applicant looked like a black barbie/model/pageant girl type if she'd even get the job

-------------
I AM THE AUTHOR OF MY OWN SCRIPT AND I PLAY BY MY RULES.

POSITIVITY + LOVE AND ALL GOOD THINGS SURROUND ME

Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 7:15pm
Originally posted by Flowing-Ice Flowing-Ice wrote:

I figured that was part of it

-------------
<< Swerve >>

Posted By: pattigurlatl
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 8:30pm
Originally posted by Flowing-Ice Flowing-Ice wrote:

Well it would work in their favor since most people don't think that black women, in particular, are, attractive.

Actually had an employee in my company say that.

-------------
Harriet Tubman - I freed a thousands slaves. I would have freed more had they known they were slaves.

Michael Harriot - She wouldn't have freed any if she was worried about her hair.

Posted By: Hello! Tsuki
Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 9:52pm
I thought about this article all day after reading it this morning.

My name isn't "black-sounding" but it's unusual and I'll probably use my middle name when I start my post-college job search just to be safe

I hate that we have to do things like this

Date Posted: Nov 18 2012 at 9:54pm
Originally posted by pattigurlatl pattigurlatl wrote:

My bestie works in HR and has always said to never fill out the diversity forms.

i meant to ask you...so this means that the HR person definitely sees the gender/ethnicity questions when checking our application then?  Ouch

Posted By: Soratachi
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 4:21am
Originally posted by BoutThatLife BoutThatLife wrote:

Are people really shocked? I know I'm not. Harvard Univ came out with a study stating a white ex-con will get hired faster than a black man w/ a degree and no record. sh*ts real outchea

I remember pounding the pavement for my first job, I went to every restaurant in a 2 mile radius of my house. I walked in one place in particular that had a WE'RE HIRING sign outside. I walked in and they told me right away that they were no longer hiring. They would not even give me an application. Maybe they forgot to take the WE'RE HIRING sign downSleepy A month later they hired 2 of my white classmates on the spot.

that was my first eye opener of blatant job discrimination. I dont let this "post racial" harmony bullshyt fool me, it's the same shyt different day. They cant put up "WHITES ONLY" signs anymore but they sure can block you in other ways.  Even at the job I'm working part time now, they rarely give  blacks any hours, but they'll go out of their way to make sure Becky and Todd got a full schedule and even call them up and ask if they want extra days.  Whites look out for each other point blank and since they're the majority population and own most of the companies, the effects are tremendous.  Shyt aint gonna change so black people need to own their own sh*t and hire each other just like they do. Stop being the employees and be the employers, thats the only way to hit that discrimination head on

So much truth.Clap If I could give you more thanks. EmbarrassedStarStarStarStarStar
The bolded part is the only solution; the more black businesses the more black people will be employed.

-------------
http://images58.fotki.com/v154/photos/7/1850227/11141506/DSC00292-vi.jpg" rel="nofollow - My Natural 4b/c Bun

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 5:12am
im surprised people are surprised

-------------
I just can't stand the negro british midget. He brings out the worst in me.....

I sometimes think AfroK is gay and either doesn't know it or won't admit to it..

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 5:27am
*nods* Fuccin' A BTL.

-------------
Chris and Koochie split! - Mrshairdo

Sometimes when sh*t happens...you say fucc - Cyndi Lauper

let's look death in the face and say "whatever man". -Hurley.

Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:14am
Star
The bolded part is the only solution; the more black businesses the more black people will be employed
===================

or worked in HR so the decision will be theirs

-------------

Posted By: babyk94
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 8:55am
BTL said it all, thanks for telling us your story. I've been applying everywhere still no job

Posted By: Yardgirl
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 9:10am
Wow that's sad and I believe it.

If I were to move I wouldn't be able to get away from that, even with using my middle name. They'd know from the universities listed.

-------------

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 2:53pm
So will you not get penalized for using your middle name?

Shoot, in that case....

-------------
Having a bunch of sexual partners doesn't mean you're a free spirit and expressing yourself...it means your a hoe. -call

Posted By: MizzAmirah
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 4:38pm
My African friends credited my name to why I had so many interviews right after graduation.
Yeah....but the same reason for the job offers too? That may be somewhat true, but I think my GPA, references, resume, and experience helped a lot too.

Well, assuming that IS the case.......I'd say it would at least land you an interview, and your personality and the grace of God would help you land the job.

-------------

Posted By: Organic
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 8:11am
I did this yesterday and had the same results as the lady in the OP. I used Monster.com.

I used my normal resume with my real name, then created a duplicate resume (copy + paste) and changed my -

• Name - I used my middle name and my extended family's last name
  • School - I changed the name of my first undergrad (an HBCU) to a more 'diverse' university
  • Voice mail - changed my voice mail to remove my recording of my name. Instead, it is the automated 10-digit phone number
  • Race - Selected 'Caucasian female' on my profile

I applied to the same jobs with both resumes...

At 8:15 this morning, my 'Caucasian' female received a phone call for a job offer...

-------------
Cut from full hip to full waist
Maxi Glide with coconut oil
Pin curls
VOILA!

Posted By: Organic
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 8:12am
...and allow me to interject here that my 'Caucasian' resume wasn't nearly as stellar as my normal resume as I deleted everything from the normal resume that referenced my HBCU, including honor society memberships, activities, awards, etc...

-------------
Cut from full hip to full waist
Maxi Glide with coconut oil
Pin curls
VOILA!

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 11:54am
^^^^^^damn.  smh.

-------------
Chris and Koochie split! - Mrshairdo

Sometimes when sh*t happens...you say fucc - Cyndi Lauper

let's look death in the face and say "whatever man". -Hurley.

Date Posted: Nov 20 2012 at 11:58am
Wow...organic, thanks for trying this out for us!(especially After the night you had lol) ....I'm sad that it worked that quickly.

Print Page | Close Window