Print Page | Close Window

Natural birth or epidural?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=350973
Printed Date: Aug 23 2019 at 3:52am

Topic: Natural birth or epidural?
Posted By: iGotSunshine
Subject: Natural birth or epidural?
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:11pm
I was in the nail shop earlier and this chick was talking about her birthing process. 
she said she didnt get an epidural because "if she was woman enough to take d*ck she was woman enough to take childbirth* LOL

i was like girl "dick and child birth is not like same" lol 
so then she went on and on and said that her "cousin got an epidural and her baby came out with no feeling and to this day the baby cant feel anything" 

so my question is will u be getting an epidural? or will you be going au naturale?

Replies:
Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:13pm
Epidural.

And why she lyin' on her cousin?

Posted By: ceme
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:14pm
I was natural
Was very easy. In and out in an hour.

Posted By: tasty0619
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:15pm
I had an epidural, then spinal for a c-section (I think...or is it the same?). My son came out awake and fine *shrugs*

-------------
Visit my accessory store to view my handmade designs!! www.etsy.com/shop/modishness

Posted By: LushHair_Fein
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:16pm
Epidural.

Contractions are the devil...

-------------
Educate before speculate..............

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:17pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Epidural.

And why she lyin' on her cousin?

LOL
idk 
it does seem fishy huh lol

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:18pm
I am extremely afraid of childbirth...like reallyDisapprove

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:18pm
Originally posted by ceme ceme wrote:

I was natural

how big was the baby? 
did u have any pain? 

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:20pm
I want to do it natural.

My mama did it natural with all three of us.

I ain't as G as my ma but I'll give it a go

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:21pm
adoption

Posted By: purpulicious01
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:21pm
Natural 

No children yet, but I've been researching this topic for some time, and have come to the conclusion that I want an at home natural water birth when I start having children. 

-------------

Posted By: solo
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:23pm
I say natural now.....

-------------
- solo

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif">I am extremely afraid of childbirth...like reallyDisapprove

Me too I don't understand it.
I don't quite get how babies are made either though

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: exoticmami06
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:26pm
I want to go natural, but if that actually happens....I don't even know.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:26pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Me too I don't understand it.
I don't quite get how babies are made either though

Well, when a man loves a woman.....

-------------

Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:27pm
for me I'm gonna rock with a natural for now and see what happens when the birthing process happens. I just hate that doctors force you to have c -section and use scare tactics to get you to do a c section. 

-------------
My mind explodes

Posted By: tasty0619
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:28pm
@jones-wut?

-------------
Visit my accessory store to view my handmade designs!! www.etsy.com/shop/modishness

Posted By: LushHair_Fein
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:29pm
I had planned to go natural, even hired a doula.  But that quickly went out the window once those contractions and complications kicked in....

Ended up with a c-section....

I may opt for a vbac in the future...  So I might try it again...

-------------
Educate before speculate..............

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:30pm
Lol I don't get how and egg and sperm create a a human being .
Don't mind me lol

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: nycdiva357
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:32pm
surrogate.

but ill recommend she does so naturally.
hmph

-------------
He follows what I'm saying.. I aint gotta twitter shyt.

Posted By: ceme
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:33pm
Originally posted by iGotSunshine iGotSunshine wrote:

Originally posted by ceme ceme wrote:

I was natural

how big was the baby? 
did u have any pain? 

6 pounds 11.4 ounces.
A lot of people get scared because of what they have heard.
Birth is different for every person.
I never listen to what others say about anything.
I didn't believe the hype.
For me it wasn't like the women on tv giving birth with the screaming and all that extra.
I did have some pain, but that is why it's called laborLOL

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:38pm

Don't mind me lol

God is great

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:40pm
Lol He is.
Because any other explaination still doesn't do it for me

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: Bunnyahh
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:41pm
natural AND drugs

I had my 1st with an epidural, my last 2 without.   It wasn't by choice, they just came so quickly.  All 3 were vaginal.  I gestate well with ZERO complications or problems.  Given how easy it was, I would do it all again.  I didn't choose the pain, the pain chose me

-------------
Hi BHM!! Lovely day I'm having. How about you?

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:41pm
Lol He is.
Because any other explaination still doesn't do it for me

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:46pm
natural

-------------

PEACE

Posted By: tropical-punch
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:48pm
well i want a midwife. so i guess natural? I don't really know a whole lot though. 

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:50pm
i got epidural both times.

-------------

Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:51pm
I'm going natural (as of right now) but want the option of having an epidural if I feel I need it.

I get the feeling though that he may come quickly and I may not get that option. apparently my family has a history of quick births.

I'm terrified...it keeps me up at night

-------------
It is said it takes seven years
to grow completely new skin cells.
To think, this year I will grow
into a body you never will
have touched.
— Brett Elizabeth Jenkins

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 3:57pm

Don't mind me lol

lol  i've never actually seen someone say that.  do you not get the scientific explanation or you think that's tomfoolery?

Posted By: Lolliren
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 4:29pm
When did you get back? ^

-------------

Posted By: Bekah
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 4:49pm
I wanted to go natural with my daughter but I kept an open mind.. 
I ended up with an epidural anyway after hours of labor because they gave me pitocin to speed it up which made contractions 10X WORSE and then they decided I needed a c-section. Luckily I was able to talk them out of the c-section and deliver naturally. They try and pressure everyone into one. Don't believe the hype!

Posted By: callmeDEva
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 4:56pm
I had all plans to go natural but got an epidural and it was the worst decision of my entire labor and delivery

They had me on a constant drip and i'm sure I received 5x as much as I should. I couldn't even feel the urge to push which I've been told everyone does at least. I slept during the entire thing. Falling asleep in between pushing. I looked just like a narcoleptic. It was horrible

-------------
There's power in your rolling hills. - My Aunt Jill

Posted By: mcelweewife
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 5:06pm
Originally posted by purpulicious01 purpulicious01 wrote:

Natural 

No children yet, but I've been researching this topic for some time, and have come to the conclusion that I want an at home natural water birth when I start having children. 

This right here. I heard and read and interviewed many women and warm water GREATLY reduces the pain of labor. Natural birth in general is more manageable than an augmented birth.

The way I see it, I am not sick I am having a baby. Four years ago I started a thread on
"The Business of Being Born."
That changed everything and took away my fear about giving birth. It's a BEAUTIFUL thing to behold a child coming into this world. I would greatly encourage you all to watch (at home) natural births on youtube. HUGE difference from most hospital births where women have no power and are told what to do.

Ob's are surgeons, I still don't understand why surgeons are delivering babies as opposed to midwives.

I would highly recommend the book;
Ina May Gaskin's guide to childbirth--whether you have a natural birth or not, this covers EVERYTHING!!!!!
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ina-mays-guide-to-childbirth-ina-may-gaskin/1100619144?ean=9780553381153" rel="nofollow - http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/ina-mays-guide-to-childbirth-ina-may-gaskin/1100619144?ean=9780553381153

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 5:11pm
Originally posted by callmeDEva callmeDEva wrote:

I had all plans to go natural but got an epidural and it was the worst decision of my entire labor and delivery

They had me on a constant drip and i'm sure I received 5x as much as I should. I couldn't even feel the urge to push which I've been told everyone does at least. I slept during the entire thing. Falling asleep in between pushing. I looked just like a narcoleptic. It was horrible

That sounds good to me.
I don't wanna feel sh*t.

Posted By: ms_wonderland
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 5:12pm
The idea of a home birth sounds noble and empowering but i don't think i'm brave enough.

eta: Hi Lolli.  

Posted By: Becky
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 5:24pm
I now live in a country (The Netherlands) where giving birth at home and NATURAL is the norm!
I just about flipped out when I heard that but I have neeever had the desire to be a mother really ... so not my problem.

However, I have a lot of Black American girlfriends here that married Dutch guys and they all gave birth in the home (except for the ones that were older or had specials circumstances) and everything turned out just fine! They bounced right back like it was nothing - so I do believe it's better for mother and child. 

They have a whole 'system' here where someone comes to your home (like a midwife) to prepare you for the birth in advance for X months ... does the birth and ... does the aftercare every day for about 2 weeks! I think it is really incredible so I am not so much against home births etc (for OTHER PEOPLE though .. because I could never do this.) 

Posted By: HowardAlumAKA
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 5:26pm
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

adoption

This.

Posted By: Rumbera
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 5:26pm
Epidurals with both.

Looking back, I would have gone the natural route with the 1st but not the 2nd.

Epi slows down the labor part dramatically.

Posted By: LilMissSunshine
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 5:29pm
Natural. I've heard horror stories of epidurals going wrong, and then sometimes with epidurals you go so numb you can't feel when to push. I'm trying to pop the baby out and get on with my life.

Posted By: dijah.love
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 6:22pm
Epidural. I hate the idea of pain!

Posted By: kimbledawn
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 6:23pm
Totally natural twice and very proud cause it was hell.

-------------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/kimbledawn?ref=ss_profile monogrammed,personalized, screened items for babies,children and adults!

http://www.facebook.com/NewTribeNewTraditions

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 6:33pm
Originally posted by kimbledawn kimbledawn wrote:

Totally natural twice and very proud cause it was hell.
Wink of all the ladies here, that makes 3 of usBig smile

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 6:37pm
I think I'll do a water birth also but the idea of me sitting in the after birth grosses me out.
Idk how true it is but my old black history professor said in Africa the women have their babies squatting because it's easier for both the mom and the baby. He also said it made the pain more bearable so maybe I'll squat.

Posted By: ImThatDiva
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 6:40pm
I want to do natural but I'll see what happens when the time comes

-------------
Mrs.ImThatModdlessDiva
TWERKIN' MY WAY DOWNTOWN
CARS DRIVE PAST
DRIVERS CRASH AND I'M LOWDOWN
-Midna

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 6:43pm

I think I'll do a water birth also but the idea of me sitting in the after birth grosses me out.
Idk how true it is but my old black history professor said in Africa the women have their babies squatting because it's easier for both the mom and the baby. He also said it made the pain more bearable so maybe I'll squat.
listen here, idk why alladeez home births gotta be water births,  I almost gave birth on all 4s, but I pushed her out on the front seat of the car.  Never made it to the hospital.  The squat thing is ideal, I remember in lamaze saying to myself that I was gonna do that.  But when the time comes, you'll know what's comfortable for you

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 6:48pm
Originally posted by Bunnyahh Bunnyahh wrote:

listen here, idk why alladeez home births gotta be water births,  I almost gave birth on all 4s, but I pushed her out on the front seat of the car.  Never made it to the hospital.  The squat thing is ideal, I remember in lamaze saying to myself that I was gonna do that.  But when the time comes, you'll know what's comfortable for you

Beautiful!!!Big smileI think that women miss out on this"right of passage"Its hard, painful, scary....but when you make it through, when you reach the end, it's like being crowned queen. No man could do that. NO MAN. And when you realize that, everything else is tiny in comparison. You can handle anything. It puts your life in perspective!

-------------
http://www.etsy.com/shop/kimbledawn?ref=ss_profile monogrammed,personalized, screened items for babies,children and adults!

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 7:09pm
thx Kimble, did you see the pic?

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 7:12pm
child birth is so beautiful. i think its the most beautiful thing a woman can do.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 7:15pm

I did, that's what I was calling beautiful! Scientific studies say that women who have natural birth go through these hormonal changes and that once the baby is born, her body is flooded with hormones and endorphins that make her love and protect her baby. They also say that sometimes epidurals block these hormones. Not saying moms who have epidurals love their kids less...just saying thats what they say.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 7:20pm

Most midwifes do not allow you to deliver the placenta in the pool. It makes draining the pool much more difficult. The placenta is caught in a bucket and disposed of. Some women save theirs. 

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 7:21pm

I did, that's what I was calling beautiful! Scientific studies say that women who have natural birth go through these hormonal changes and that once the baby is born, her body is flooded with hormones and endorphins that make her love and protect her baby. They also say that sometimes epidurals block these hormones. Not saying moms who have epidurals love their kids less...just saying thats what they say.

That's been proven. This was taught in my birthing class as well.

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 7:30pm

Embarrassed yeah I have to poof quick cuz of the crazies on bhm, she was 5 minutes old there. I remember the contractions hitting & I was like it's now or never.  Time to push her out cuz once she's out the pain subsides.  So that morning I told my boys they aren't going to school cuz I was in labor.  My husband drove, they were in the back seat.  I gave one good push & her head & shoulders were out.. I told my dh to pull over & take her out the rest of the way.  He looked down & was likeShockedConfusedShocked.  He pulled her out, placed her on my chest, then drove the rest of the way to the hospital.  My boys were in the back likeConfusedClapGeek

I held her close & was relieved to hear her cry. All that gook on her & I didn't wanna suck stuff out of her nose old school style if she had a problem breathing.  Thank goodness all was wellCry

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 7:34pm
I'll admit, my 1st was with an epidural & I did not feel close to him immediately due to fatigue & exhaustion.  He was born around 5pm & it wasn't until around midnight when I woke up & WANTED MY BABY NOW!!! I was crying for him walking to the nurses station half dressed.  They wheeled him to my room & we finally bonded like nobody's business.  He will always be my sugarpuss

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 7:42pm
Aww Bunnyahh, that was beautiful!!Heart

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by mcelweewife mcelweewife wrote:

Aww Bunnyahh, that was beautiful!!Heart
thx.Embarrassed  I always feel bad for the ladies that don't have good pregnancy & labor experiences. It can be quite rewarding if all goes well.  Smile

-------------

Posted By: Allure.
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 8:09pm
I was gonna get the epidural and do vaginal delivery, but ended up getting a c section last minute. Thank God I did, my baby was over 10lbs and her head was huge, my vagina would've been shredded to pieces

-------------

Posted By: Gumdrop92
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 8:29pm
I want to go natural, but we'll see how that goes.
Occasionally, I watch itsjudylife (daily vlogger) on yt and they're organic only/natural everything. When she went into labor,  she wasn't having contractions for too long before she asked for that epidural LOL

And I love the option of water births, but I'm really weird about the temp of my water. Also, I never take baths because I hate the thought of possibly sitting in dirty water. I probably won't even think about that once I see the baby though...

-------------
"A miracle is another name for hard work," -Kang Tae Joon 아름다운 그대에게
SL to BSL in 2012

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 9:25pm
My bf had 2 natural births. She had her son in the morning and said was ready to sign out and go home that afternoon.LOL

If I have kids I hope to give it shot but who knows.

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Posted By: yaya24
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 9:32pm

Most midwifes do not allow you to deliver the placenta in the pool. It makes draining the pool much more difficult. The placenta is caught in a bucket and disposed of. Some women save theirs. 

..& some women eat theirsDead
I remember that thread.
Gross.

-------------
iRep ♥ Naija
TexLAXED 1.25.13'
SL starting alllll the way over. Watch me work.
APL 2013

<

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 9:40pm
Originally posted by yaya24 yaya24 wrote:

..& some women eat theirsDead
I remember that thread.
Gross.

I have heard of this. Also, many have it ground into a powder and converted to capsules.
Apparently it helps to avoid post partum depression. 

Posted By: AshBash89
Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 9:40pm

I had an epidural with my first and didn't feel a thing.  They had to look at the monitor to tell me when I was having a contraction so that I could push.  I pushed him out with 2 pushes.  With my daughter, I went to the hospital to watch my sister give birth to my niece and ended up going in to labor there.  I was at the wrong hospital and couldn't drive so my dad(a firefighter at the time) sent their ambulance to transport me.  When I got to the hospital I was 7 cm dialated, so there was no epidural for me.  The contractions weren't as bad as her ripping through me and tearing up everything in her way.  I pushed her out with 2 pushes as well.  I'll take an epidural over natural birth any day.

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 9:43pm
Originally posted by Gumdrop92 Gumdrop92 wrote:

I want to go natural, but we'll see how that goes.
Occasionally, I watch itsjudylife (daily vlogger) on yt and they're organic only/natural everything. When she went into labor,  she wasn't having contractions for too long before she asked for that epidural LOL

And I love the option of water births, but I'm really weird about the temp of my water. Also, I never take baths because I hate the thought of possibly sitting in dirty water. I probably won't even think about that once I see the baby though...

I saw that! I like her because she adds bear at the end of her terms of endearment. I have been calling my husband babybear for YEARS, I was taken aback when she referred to her husband as babybear. I have also been calling my baby babybear since I got pregnant, had never heard anyone besides her do that. Once I found out it was a boy, Hezziebear became his nickname. That alone made me subscribe to their channel. I found out about them through Naptural85--who had her baby girl!!! 

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 9:44pm

I have heard of this. Also, many have it ground into a powder and converted to capsules.

Yes. Thats how I remember it.
I think the science behind it is not concrete enough though:

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/i-regret-eating-my-placenta/" rel="nofollow - I regret eating my placenta

-------------
iRep ♥ Naija
TexLAXED 1.25.13'
APL 2013

<

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by yaya24 yaya24 wrote:

Yes. Thats how I remember it.
I think the science behind it is not concrete enough though:

http://parenting.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/03/25/i-regret-eating-my-placenta/" rel="nofollow - I regret eating my placenta

lol my doula actually offers that as a service, but I decided to rely on prayer if I feel down. 
Jesus has pulled me through some horrible things. To me having a baby, something I have longed for since I can remember is not something I can see myself being sad about of all things. I know it's hormonal and that women can't help it, but I believe in the power of prayer when it comes to my state of mind. I am not judging a woman who wanted to take placenta capsules to try and avoid or manage baby blues though, don't get me wrong.

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 10:11pm

lol my doula actually offers that as a service, but I decided to rely on prayer if I feel down. 
Jesus has pulled me through some horrible things. To me having a baby, something I have longed for since I can remember is not something I can see myself being sad about of all things. I know it's hormonal and that women can't help it, but I believe in the power of prayer when it comes to my state of mind. I am not judging a woman who wanted to take placenta capsules to try and avoid or manage baby blues though, don't get me wrong.

I had to google doula (I'm so foreign to all things pregnancy related) LOL
God bless you during and after your pregnancy.
Amen.

-------------
iRep ♥ Naija
TexLAXED 1.25.13'
APL 2013

<

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 10:40pm

Also, I would not pass judgement on a woman who wanted to avoid the pain of labor with pain relief. 

In fact, I am CONVINCED that if I had a traditional hospital birth I would BEG for relief, lol.

That's actually WHY I am doing it at home. If I don't have that to fall back on there is no way I would cave and take the drugs. 

I have heard of having sterile water drops injected into back. One of my friends did this with both of her kids and she was able to avoid drugs and deliver them naturally. A lot of the time this non invasive way to deal with pain is not even mentioned as an option to a laboring mom. The more they intervene, the more they can charge you. A c-section is a lot more money than a vaginal birth. 

I also found out that it is possible to deliver an 9-13 pound baby naturally and without tearing. Apparently a woman is to get on all fours -this makes the pelvis 60% wider and allows to baby to be pushed out with ease. Same thing with the shoulders of large or normal sized babies having stuck shoulders. According to Ina Gaskin this has worked for every birth she has attended for women who have this happen. 

Our bodies are AMAZING!!!!!! God knew exactly what He was doing when He designed us. I think the media, entertainment industry and modern obstetrics have partnered and succeeded into fooling women that we aren't capable of giving birth on our own and without augmentation or intervention. There are billions of dollars to be made off of the fear and ignorance of the average woman (I was one of them) in regard to childbirth and the mechanics of a woman's body and how it adapts to deliver a baby no matter the size or position of baby. 

The info is out there though, thank God. America women seem to be the main ones being short changed this way. C-sections are the leading cause of maternal death in the US, but it is under reported. A lot of times complication arise from the bowels being nicked during surgery, which results in infection, which leads to death. Or from uterine rupture due to the new technique Ob's have been taught for the better part of ten years to only stitch the outer layer of the uterine muscle as opposed to stitching the inner layer AND the top layer before finally the abdomen in stitched shut. They tell you delivering vaginally is risky after a c-section, but either way having another baby after a c-section is risky due to the insufficient stitching of the incision. 

This angers me to even think about it, because so many of my friends have been duped into C-sections when they weren't really medically necessary. Sometimes they are warranted, but most times they are a result of the unnecessary interventions that occurred during labor. Things that hinder productive labor and pushing are what cause these problems. Example;

Laying on the back--being strapped to all kinds of different monitoring devices

Maternal exhaustion (this is due to being drugged and not being allowed to eat during labor-delivering a baby is hard work, eating and staying hydrated make a world of difference for mom's energy level)

Being poked and prodded and asked all kinds of questions while you are laboring

Having strangers coming in and out of your room

Being pressured to progress and drugged if you aren't doing so at the rate the doctor would like (labor takes TIME!) a woman shouldn't feel like she is being rushed. This pressure can actually slow down dilation--a calm, RELAXED atmosphere is a must!!!  This normally leads to pitocin (a synthetic hormone that speeds up contractions)  being introduced and that leads to a chain reaction of more drugs/augmentation---which most times leads to an emergency c-section.

This is outrageous and the worst part is that most women don't even know they are being manipulated and taken advantage of. Many women don't care to even look into this because we have been taught from a young age that you get pregnant and whatever happens during labor is beyond your control and the doc is to be trusted to take care of everything. More women are starting to take responsibility to educate themselves. 

I am seriously considering becoming a doula if for no other reason just to get the experience. 
I hope this didn't come off harsh, I just hate the way things have gone for women in regard to what should be an amazing experience. We are being bamboozled and taken advantage of and I don't like it.

Date Posted: Nov 16 2012 at 10:41pm
Thank you Yaya!Heart

Posted By: Cream1970
Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 12:10am
no epidural for my son. 8lbs 5oz
epidural for my daughter 5yrs later, 8lbs 12oz

two, very healthy kids w/no complications.

they gave me some type of bullshyt painkiller for my son, but it didn't do much.

I contemplated suicide. I'm not kidding, either Stern Smile

-------------

Posted By: tropical-punch
Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 12:20am
So let's talk about how much childbirth hurts. It sounds so scary.

Posted By: Quiann00
Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 12:31am
Labor for my son was induced. So after 2 days of Pitocin, I told them epidural or he just going to have to stay in there.  Ended up needing a c-section because I'd only dilated 2 cm after 2 days of cervidil and Pitocin!!! And anyone who've had an induction know that when they administer Pitocin, contractions are 10X worse.

-------------
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."-Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 12:49am
my mom did not use an epidural for the first few time she gave birth
the last time she did--i think she was over it

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 12:50am
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

adoption

surrogate.  pay someone else to do all that ish.

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 1:59am
Originally posted by Quiann00 Quiann00 wrote:

Labor for my son was induced. So after 2 days of Pitocin, I told them epidural or he just going to have to stay in there.  Ended up needing a c-section because I'd only dilated 2 cm after 2 days of cervidil and Pitocin!!! And anyone who've had an induction know that when they administer Pitocin, contractions are 10X worse.
thats what the nurses told me when i had to be induced. but shooot...i just know it hurt the first time, i couldnt tell the difference. all i know is was in pain and wanted it to be over. i got the pitocin and epidural....and was in so much pain still. they had to give me a "booster shot" of the epidural cause i was like i can still feel the painAngryAngryCryCry. so by the time it was time to push...i actually felt it..but it was bearable.. i actually had the most pain tryin to push out the placenta. thank goodness (but not really)epidural makes me sick, kinda dizzy so i had to throw up..and from that they were able to get the placenta out..from me doing that. yeah now that i think about it..it made me sick during both labours. 

ughh baby one labor was 15 hours.
baby 2 think was about 10 hours.

both healthy babies...ugh im dreading baby/pregnancyLOL season cause i really want to be pregnant agai
n

-------------

Posted By: mommykat
Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 2:12am
Originally posted by Lady ICE Lady ICE wrote:

both healthy babies...ugh im dreading baby/pregnancyLOL season cause i really want to be pregnant again

Wow..my son is a handful... never again--- No more children. I had a C-section (personal) and it was hard on my body as a whole. My son was healthy and I was happy. Well, one good thing about the C-section my DR. gave me a C-tuck... MEH.. .

-------------

Posted By: starflower7
Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 2:19am
Thisw is something I won't have to think about anytime soon.

*crosses fingers*

-------------
"I give to the needy...and not the greedy!"

"Mm hm that's right!"

Posted By: mommykat
Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 2:22am
Originally posted by starflower7 starflower7 wrote:

Thisw is something I won't have to think about anytime soon.

*crosses fingers*

True,... have fun I sure did...before I had my son.

It's a lot of work star...Party Party Party...

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 2:26am
i think i want to do a c-section. but im scared man..what my kids hit me with a ball in the stomach while im trying to heal? it hurts already just thinkin about it. Cry but im so over vaginal delievery. i cant do all that pushing stuff. lol

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 6:06am

i think i want to do a c-section. but im scared man..what my kids hit me with a ball in the stomach while im trying to heal? it hurts already just thinkin about it. Cry but im so over vaginal delievery. i cant do all that pushing stuff. lol

I've never had a vaginal delivery, so I can't say which is better.  But if you are lucky to be eligible for a vaginal delivery, have it! C-sections are serious abdominal surgery and the healing time after that is very long.  When you come home from the hospital and that pain hit you, it's crazy! Plus, it leaves scare tissue and can (kinda) make losing  the weight or extra fat around that section of the stomach hard because of the surgery.  My son is 2.5 and my incision still itches sometimes.  For our next child, I would like a VBAC, but since a VBAC has risk, a lot of doctors advice against it. But I don't want to be cut open again.

-------------
"Great minds discuss ideas; Average minds discuss events; Small minds discuss people."-Eleanor Roosevelt

Posted By: OrriannaRose
Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 6:08am
Surrogate.

-------------

Posted By: sweet_n_stuff04
Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 6:47am
Epidural, but I could have done a natural birth...my contractions weren't even that bad.

Mcelweewife's post about the pressure women go through while giving birth is so true. They wanted to induce me before Christmas so that "I could be home for the holidays" *rolls eyes* They just didn't want to spend their holiday in the hospital. My son's expected due date was the 21st of Dec but a few days had already passed.

I didn't want to get induced but the doctor was saying that the longer he's in my stomach, the more problems that could occur. So I gave in.

-------------
(√-1) (2^3) (Σ ) (π)...and it was good!

Fact: If you eat something and nobody sees you eat it - it has no calories.

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 6:48am
Whichever I need. My mom had us naturally and my friends, the same. One friend makes it seem like if her mom did it, she had to, too . I get terrible migraines and can only imagine having a 5 day debilitating migraine and being in labor. No

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 6:49am
natural water & water birth

-------------
God forgive me for my brash delivery
But I remember vividly what these streets did to me

Posted By: sweet_n_stuff04
Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 6:56am

Things that hinder productive labor and pushing are what cause these problems. Example;

Laying on the back--being strapped to all kinds of different monitoring devices *That was the worst...and when you get the epidural, you can't even move your legs to get comfortable Angry*

Maternal exhaustion (this is due to being drugged and not being allowed to eat during labor-delivering a baby is hard work, eating and staying hydrated make a world of difference for mom's energy level) *I never understood that either...I was so thirsty. The gave me crushed ice to eat...I just waited for it to melt and then drank it LOL*

Being poked and prodded and asked all kinds of questions while you are laboring *That was annoying too...I just wanted to be left alone*

Being pressured to progress and drugged if you aren't doing so at the rate the doctor would like (labor takes TIME!) a woman shouldn't feel like she is being rushed. This pressure can actually slow down dilation--a calm, RELAXED atmosphere is a must!!!  This normally leads to pitocin (a synthetic hormone that speeds up contractions)  being introduced and that leads to a chain reaction of more drugs/augmentation---which most times leads to an emergency c-section.

*That's true was well...they kept giving me more and more pitocin and at one point, I was stuck at 8cm dilated for TWO hours Angry. They were going to give me an emergency C-section but luckily I dilated enough for me to push. I could feel a thing...I didn't feel the need to push, didn't feel him coming out, I still felt my contractions though so i wasn't completely pain free Angry*

This is outrageous and the worst part is that most women don't even know they are being manipulated and taken advantage of. Many women don't care to even look into this because we have been taught from a young age that you get pregnant and whatever happens during labor is beyond your control and the doc is to be trusted to take care of everything.

* So true. I thought the doctor would know more about having a baby than I would since it was my first child. All I did was read baby books and go to parenting classes. *

-------------
(√-1) (2^3) (Σ ) (π)...and it was good!

Fact: If you eat something and nobody sees you eat it - it has no calories.

Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 10:00am
Originally posted by sweet_n_stuff04 sweet_n_stuff04 wrote:

Things that hinder productive labor and pushing are what cause these problems. Example;

Laying on the back--being strapped to all kinds of different monitoring devices *That was the worst...and when you get the epidural, you can't even move your legs to get comfortable Angry*

Maternal exhaustion (this is due to being drugged and not being allowed to eat during labor-delivering a baby is hard work, eating and staying hydrated make a world of difference for mom's energy level) *I never understood that either...I was so thirsty. The gave me crushed ice to eat...I just waited for it to melt and then drank it LOL*

Being poked and prodded and asked all kinds of questions while you are laboring *That was annoying too...I just wanted to be left alone*

*That's true was well...they kept giving me more and more pitocin and at one point, I was stuck at 8cm dilated for TWO hours Angry. They were going to give me an emergency C-section but luckily I dilated enough for me to push. I could feel a thing...I didn't feel the need to push, didn't feel him coming out, I still felt my contractions though so i wasn't completely pain free Angry*

This is outrageous and the worst part is that most women don't even know they are being manipulated and taken advantage of. Many women don't care to even look into this because we have been taught from a young age that you get pregnant and whatever happens during labor is beyond your control and the doc is to be trusted to take care of everything.

* So true. I thought the doctor would know more about having a baby than I would since it was my first child. All I did was read baby books and go to parenting classes. *

Thank you for sharing your experience Sweetnstuff!! I am glad you avoided a section!!
That's more than what most women do! I read ALL of the "what to expect books" (4)--two summers ago.
NONE of them prepared me the way Ina Gaskin's book on birthing did. It's incredible and takes away anxiety! Having support from my midwife and doula has made a difference as well. My appointments with my midwife are an hour plus, so ALL of my questions are thoroughly answered and then some. Not to mention unlike with my back up OBGYN I can call her whenever I want with questions or concerns. This is WAAAYYYY better than the maternity care I had with my 1st pregnancy. My midwife has become a great friend <3  She offers her services until I am 6 weeks post partum and she will be able to weigh the baby once I deliver, give him his apgar test, his vitamin k shot and draw up his birth certificate in the privacy of my home....this is AFTER I get to hold him and nurse him for an hour. The cord will be cut once it stops pulsing which will supply oxygen and blood to baby without it being abruptly cut off.

I read that home births & birth center births attended by midwives were up 10% here in the states as of 2011.ClapClapClap Hopefully that number increases. 

I am so excited about getting to hold my little dude right away instead of having him whisked off and roughly handled outside of my line of vision. Has anyone noticed how roughly the nurses handle newborns when they clean them? geesh.

Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 10:13am

I've never had a vaginal delivery, so I can't say which is better.  But if you are lucky to be eligible for a vaginal delivery, have it! C-sections are serious abdominal surgery and the healing time after that is very long.  When you come home from the hospital and that pain hit you, it's crazy! Plus, it leaves scare tissue and can (kinda) make losing  he weight or extra fat around that section of the stomach harbecause of the surgery.  My son is 2.5 anmyincision still itches sometime.  For our next child, I would like a VBAC, but since a VBAC has risk, a lot of doctors advice against it. But I don't want to be cut open again.

Honestly, I didn't have pain for long. The worse of my pain was during the three days in the hospital, but that was mostly because they waited until the third day to give me a stomach binder. The pain for me mostly came from my insides feeling loose when I moved, even with the morphine drip. All that did was make me drowsy.

But after i left the hospital, and put on a tighter waist binder, I felt so much better. They prescribed me with Percocet, so I took those for the first week home. I was able to get up and move around just fine, carry my baby, and by the second week home I felt normal again, with just a few aches ever so often. My scar is practically already healed, its small and barely noticeable.

Im 3 weeks post partum, and lost my baby weight already...including in the abs. I only gained 25lbs during my pregnancy though. My waist compressor helped a lot, plus breastfeeding also helps with weight loss. I'm still losing and haven't even started my diet lol.

Overall, my healing process wasn't nearly as bad as ppl said it would be, and I'm thankful for that!

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 10:34am
^^^^ Allure, that is awesome! Congrats on your precious baby!!!

sweet n stuff, I can't edit my post, but I was trying to say that reading up on it and taking parenting classes is more than what most do.

Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 10:50am
 The cord will be cut once it stops pulsing which will supply oxygen and blood to baby without it being abruptly cut off.
=====================

Yes!! if you saw my pic yesterday, the cord was still attached.  I planned on keeping it attached for a while so I'm kind of glad, dh delivered her instead of my obgyn

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 11:15am
Originally posted by Allure. Allure. wrote:

I've never had a vaginal delivery, so I can't say which is better.  But if you are lucky to be eligible for a vaginal delivery, have it! C-sections are serious abdominal surgery and the healing time after that is very long.  When you come home from the hospital and that pain hit you, it's crazy! Plus, it leaves scare tissue and can (kinda) make losing  he weight or extra fat around that section of the stomach harbecause of the surgery.  My son is 2.5 anmyincision still itches sometime.  For our next child, I would like a VBAC, but since a VBAC has risk, a lot of doctors advice against it. But I don't want to be cut open again.

Honestly, I didn't have pain for long. The worse of my pain was during the three days in the hospital, but that was mostly because they waited until the third day to give me a stomach binder. The pain for me mostly came from my insides feeling loose when I moved, even with the morphine drip. All that did was make me drowsy.

But after i left the hospital, and put on a tighter waist binder, I felt so much better. They prescribed me with Percocet, so I took those for the first week home. I was able to get up and move around just fine, carry my baby, and by the second week home I felt normal again, with just a few aches ever so often. My scar is practically already healed, its small and barely noticeable.

Im 3 weeks post partum, and lost my baby weight already...including in the abs. I only gained 25lbs during my pregnancy though. My waist compressor helped a lot, plus breastfeeding also helps with weight loss. I'm still losing and haven't even started my diet lol.

Overall, my healing process wasn't nearly as bad as ppl said it would be, and I'm thankful for that!

Wow! that was a good experience! I had to stop taking the Percocet the second week in after an incident where I fell asleep trying to nurse my baby.  When I woke up, he was stuck between the couch cushions upside down fighting to breath.  I guess I'm really sensitive to pain medication.  After that, I had to grin and bear it because the Percocet was a little too strong even though they helped with the pain.  I wasn't successful with breastfeedingCryCryCry

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 11:28am

The cord will be cut once it stops pulsing which will supply oxygen and blood to baby without it being abruptly cut off.
=====================

Yes!! if you saw my pic yesterday, the cord was still attached.  I planned on keeping it attached for a while so I'm kind of glad, dh delivered her instead of my obgyn

Unfortunately I missed out, but that delivery sounded awesome.
My mom said of the 7 labors she had number 4 was her easiest. My brother came before she made it to the hospital and she had my bro at home, my dad caught him. This by the way, was the same brother who was not circumcised.LOL She said she was in the middle of imitation of life when her water broke and she refused to leave until it went off. By the time it did the contractions started to kick her butt, so she took a hot shower on her way to the hospital. She never made it. The ambulance came and took her once my little bro was delivered. Of course they showed up right after --they let my dad cut the cord. To this day my dad still talks about it, he is so proud of that.

Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 12:44pm

^^^^ Allure, that is awesome! Congrats on your precious baby!!!

sweet n stuff, I can't edit my post, but I was trying to say that reading up on it and taking parenting classes is more than what most do.

Thank u!!

-------------

Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 12:47pm
natural that burns! It doesn't just hurt but it BURNS!!!!
I had an epidural but they turned it off so I felt everything. It only took three pushes and 10 minutes but that was more than enough for a lifetime.

Posted By: RoxieDream
Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 12:50pm
I'm getting a c-section

I think I'm too much of a punk for all of this

-------------
<< Swerve >>

Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 12:50pm
Quiann, that is so scary.  I'm glad he made it

Mcelwife, I know the feeling.  We love telling the story too & ppl were calling him Doctor for the longest.  Its a memory we'll never forget

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 12:52pm

Wow! that was a good experience! I had to stop taking the Percocet the second week in after an incident
where I fell asleep trying to nurse my baby.  When I woke up, he was
stuck between the couch cushions upside down fighting to breath.  I
guess I'm really sensitive to pain medication.  After that, I had to
grin and bear it because the Percocet was a little too strong even
though they helped with the pain.  I wasn't successful with breastfeedingCryCryCry

Omg that had to be scary!! I was so worried something like that would happen to me at the hospital. The morphine had me so drugged up and drowsy, I dozed off everytime I nursed my baby. She was drowsy too from my meds. I made them take me off the morphine drip early because my baby and I wouldn't stay awake long enough for her to get full.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 12:53pm
Originally posted by RoxieDream RoxieDream wrote:

I'm getting a c-section

c sects are the worst.  ur stomach never looks the same, healing is a BITCH & u have a permanent muffin top unless you get lipo/tummy tuck.

You have better chances of snapping back with vaginal

-------------

Posted By: RoxieDream
Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 12:54pm

Originally posted by RoxieDream RoxieDream wrote:

I'm getting a c-section

c sects are the worst.  ur stomach never looks the same, healing is a BITCH & u have a permanent muffin top unless you get lipo/tummy tuck.

You have better chances of snapping back with vaginal

In that case I'm just going to pay a surrogate Confused Ouch

-------------
<< Swerve >>

Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 12:56pm
That's really not the case for everyone Bunny.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 1:02pm

That's really not the case for everyone Bunny.
True, it also depends on age, activtity &  aftercare.  my brothers baby mama had a c section & she looks horrible!! she is 10 yrs younger than me but looks 20yrs older, very ha rd & out of shapeDead

-------------

Posted By: ThatGurlD
Date Posted: Nov 17 2012 at 1:03pm
I had 1 natural and 2 epidurals.  If I had to do it again I'd do natural.  Horrible recovery with numbness that lasted for months after the last one.  It was very scary.

-------------
Valleys only exist between mountains. Stay down til you come up.

Print Page | Close Window