Print Page | Close Window

Dark Lips - Red Lipstick Question

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=350866
Printed Date: Nov 19 2017 at 12:50pm

Topic: Dark Lips - Red Lipstick Question
Posted By: Organic
Subject: Dark Lips - Red Lipstick Question
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 3:48am
I searched but didn't find anything.

I'm afflicted with 'Indian Lip' (LOL) - which is basically when the upper lip is more pigmented and darker than the bottom lip. Basically, my lips are two different colors.

I want to wear a really bright red lipstick (through my research, I see MAC Ruby Woo with a brick lip liner is the way to go...maybe...I'm not sure what my undertone is), but how does that work on two-toned lips? Would the lipstick appear darker on the darker lip, but lighter on the lighter lip?

Halp...

-------------
Cut from full hip to full waist
Maxi Glide with coconut oil
Pin curls
VOILA!

Replies:
Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 3:52am
Post your pic and I'll be able to better help you.

Posted By: Honey sweet
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 3:53am
Use lemon juice to lighten your darker lip.  Make sure you use a lip bum with sunscreen. 

-------------
Beautiful Onyinye

Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 3:55am
Originally posted by Honey sweet Honey sweet wrote:

Use lemon juice to lighten your darker lip.  Make sure you use a lip bum with sunscreen. 

...will that work in 24 hours? Geek

I don't want to permanently lighten the lip (I'm quite ok with it being darker LOL), I just want to know how to apply lipstick to it properly without looking like I'm wearing two different shades.

-------------
Pin curls
VOILA!

Posted By: starflower7
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 3:55am
Black people have lips like this too. It's supposed to be that way. If your top lip is pink it won't look right. I don't know anything about lip liner but I've worn red lipstick though and I've liked it. 

-------------
"I give to the needy...and not the greedy!"

"Mm hm that's right!"

Posted By: chinadoll77
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 3:56am
If there's a noticeable difference just use a matching flesh toned pencil to color in your lips,line with the Mac pencil,and cover with the lipstick.I use this method alot in the winter..

-------------
If I worried about what you thought about me,it would be a grave misuse of my ME TIME....

Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 3:58am
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Jus gwaan go sleep.

-------------
Pin curls
VOILA!

Posted By: Honey sweet
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 3:58am
I m not sure about 24hrs 

-------------
Beautiful Onyinye

Posted By: starflower7
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 4:00am
I went and looked at some pics of myself with red lipstick and the top does look a lil darker so I see what you mean. It's never bothered me, though.

-------------
"I give to the needy...and not the greedy!"

"Mm hm that's right!"

Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 4:00am
Originally posted by chinadoll77 chinadoll77 wrote:

If there's a noticeable difference just use a matching flesh toned pencil to color in your lips,line with the Mac pencil,and cover with the lipstick.I use this method alot in the winter..

Taking notes, thanks!

I have some concealer that is the colour of my skin, can I use that, or must it be a lip liner?

-------------
Pin curls
VOILA!

Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 4:01am
My upper lip is darker than my bottom and my lip stick does not show up different. I wear all shades of red and dark pinks. Never had a problem. 

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 4:06am
It's funny you want both lips uniform in color because my lips are uniform in color yet I use two different red lipsticks to get that "Indian lip"/Two-tone lip.

I find it aesthetically pleasing.

-------------

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 4:07am
Originally posted by Organic Organic wrote:

Jus gwaan go sleep.

Mi no fi a gwaan go sleep.

I do that right?

Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 4:11am
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

It's funny you want both lips uniform in color because my lips are uniform in color yet I use two different red lipsticks to get that "Indian lip"/Two-tone lip.

I find it aesthetically pleasing.

*puckers up* Embarrassed

I've never really noticed the difference too much until a few hours ago when I decided I wanted to wear lipstick Stern Smile.

-------------
Pin curls
VOILA!

Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 4:12am

Jus gwaan go sleep.

Mi no fi a gwaan go sleep.

I do that right?

CryLOLLOLLOL You so cute LOL! Hell no, you butchered it. You spelled everything correctly, though lol.

-------------
Pin curls
VOILA!

Posted By: chinadoll77
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 4:29am

Taking notes, thanks!

I have some concealer that is the colour of my skin, can I use that, or must it be a lip liner?
I've never tried Concealer,test it out while you're around the house,make sure that it doesn't smear,or transfer easily when you drink, or kiss.

-------------
If I worried about what you thought about me,it would be a grave misuse of my ME TIME....

Posted By: bebe88
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 5:59am
Omg me too!!! I didn't know this had a name!!!!

-------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/BrittaneyRachel

Posted By: smaison
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 6:35am
Put concealer on your lips before applying your lipstick and lip liner.

-------------
"I don't give a flying pretzel in skittle rainbow hell"

Posted By: sbrownie84
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 8:11am
ruby woo is a fully pigmented lipstick. It covers everything. you will have no problem. Most matte lipsticks are full coverage. Great color choice by the way :) However ruby woo will be a bright red...not really a dark lip. YOu might like 'diva'  andwhich is also matte, but a deeper red. Rebel is also great.

Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 8:19am
ruby woo looks horrid on me

-------------
My mind explodes

Posted By: femmefatale85
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 9:17am
I agree with wearing matte lipsticks. My lip color is different on the top and bottom and matte lipsticks don't show it. I no longer wear glosses honestly.

Posted By: Princess_S
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 10:32am
Mine is two different colors also and when I first apply I do see a slight difference. But u cando the concealer trick to mute out the pigmentation in your lips.

Posted By: r0ck_starr
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 10:38am
I have two pink lips and red lipstick still doesn't look right on me. 

Posted By: purpulicious01
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 11:02am

I'm afflicted with 'Indian Lip' (LOL) - which is basically when the upper lip is more pigmented and darker than the bottom lip. Basically, my lips are two different colors.

I want to wear a really bright red lipstick (through my research, I see MAC Ruby Woo with a brick lip liner is the way to go...maybe...I'm not sure what my undertone is), but how does that work on two-toned lips? Would the lipstick appear darker on the darker lip, but lighter on the lighter lip?

Halp...

Choose matte lipsticks

This works for me and my lips are different colors as well (upper is darker than lower, which is, btw, really common)

I've seen some women use concealer on their lips (to even them out) before applying lipstick  but I've never tried it.

-------------

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 11:07am
lets post pics of red lips.. 

i need red.  ruby woo is too light for me too. 

Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 11:18am
^I created a red lip thread in the makeup section a couple of years ago. It has still been fairly active. I'll go dig it up.

-------------

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 11:22am
thanks midna

Posted By: dejee
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 11:53am

Taking notes, thanks!

Yes use concealer 1st on both lips, then use a lip pencil the same or similar color as the lipstick to fill in your lips, then apply the lipstick.

Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 12:21pm
i love my matte lipsticks. Nars is excellent.

-------------
My mind explodes

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 12:25pm
i use a brown lipliner with ruby woo to make it darker.
tbh i need a great plum
i remember playing with my moms estee lauder lipstick at like 12 and loving the color
i went to the counter last year and those o's were useless

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Posted By: columbian queen
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 12:58pm
Originally posted by smaison smaison wrote:

Put concealer on your lips before applying your lipstick and lip liner.
This

Posted By: sweet_n_stuff04
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

i love my matte lipsticks. Nars is excellent.

I love their matte lip pencil in Walkyrie. It's what I use when I go to work...the pencil is getting small though Cry...gotta take a 2 hr drive to get to the place where I can get NARS Cry

-------------
(√-1) (2^3) (Σ ) (π)...and it was good!

Fact: If you eat something and nobody sees you eat it - it has no calories.

Posted By: Anah
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 2:38pm
I agree with all the mentions of concealer on the lips.

Is ruby woo the go to red color for black women? I've read sooooo many beauty articles with it mentioned.

I found a real pretty red by ELF for 3 bux at targetLOL

-------------
#CHOGH

Posted By: msjaim2
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 4:46pm
http://forum2.blackhairmedia.com/red-lip-loving-post-pictures_topic268724_page27.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum2.blackhairmedia.com/red-lip-loving-post-pictures_topic268724_page27.html

Posted By: danieb23
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by Anah Anah wrote:

Is ruby woo the go to red color for black women? I've read sooooo many beauty articles with it mentioned.

Yep,
Sephora also has a deep red lip stain that is gorgeous!!
I've gotten a lot of compliments when I wear it.

Posted By: danieb23
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

i use a brown lipliner with ruby woo to make it darker.
tbh i need a great plum
i remember playing with my moms estee lauder lipstick at like 12 and loving the color
i went to the counter last year and those o's were useless

Sephora (yes I'm caping for their lipstains today, they're the ish)
Just added a plum lipstain to their collection, I picked it up last Wednesday and it
Is GORGEOUS!

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 5:02pm
It's probably already been suggested, but use a lip liner pencil the same color as the lipstick to fill in the inner part of your lips. That'll fix the 2 tone lip prob and it'll help your lipstick last longer as red is notoriously high maintenance. You can still line your lips with a darker shade.

Post pics of the finished look. Please and TIA! Embarrassed 

Halp...

-------------

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 5:04pm
Oh good gawd, y'all please stop putting concealer on your lips. Pinch

ETA:

Yes for some strange reason. It's a beautiful shade, but by the time you take it off your lips will look like a molting reptile. I have worn it twice in the 4-ish years since I got it. I paid dearly both times.  Ouch
Ouch

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 6:53pm
Originally posted by FarraFace FarraFace wrote:

Oh good gawd, y'all please stop putting concealer on your lips. Pinch

ETA:

Yes for some strange reason. It's a beautiful shade, but by the time you take it off your lips will look like a molting reptile. I have worn it twice in the 4-ish years since I got it. I paid dearly both times.  Ouch
Ouch

LMFAO, RIGHT! I like to put vaseline on my lips before, though. Just to keep them supple and so the lipstick applies easier. LOL

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 6:55pm
SORRY FOR THE HUUUUUGE DELAY, I completely forgot!

Here is the thread, 27 pages of black women with pretty red lips~ I'll go bump it so it's on the first page of the MU section.
  http://forum2.blackhairmedia.com/red-lip-loving-post-pictures_topic268724.html" rel="nofollow - http://forum2.blackhairmedia.com/red-lip-loving-post-pictures_topic268724.html

-------------

Posted By: honeyb87
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 9:08pm
Originally posted by femmefatale85 femmefatale85 wrote:

I agree with wearing matte lipsticks. My lip color is different on the top and bottom and matte lipsticks don't show it. I no longer wear glosses honestly.

I looove matte lipsticks. Revlon is my fav. so far Clap

-------------
Going through a quarter life crisis. Judge me if you will. No fcks will be given though.

Don't call a b*tch a b*tch unless you like the b*tch

Date Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 2:30am
You all have been tremendously helpful.

Farra
, thanks for that tidbit about the liner to prevent running. I didn't even know lipstick ran. I have never worn lipstick before, so thanks for helping a newbie out Tongue.

Also, thanks to everyone who mentioned the matte lipsticks. I didn't know lipstick came in different finishes. My hat is off to all of you who wear make up because there really is a lot to learn.

Thanks again, everybody!!! I think I'll post a pic when I do the look Evil Smile.

-------------
Pin curls
VOILA!

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Nov 15 2012 at 2:45am
I bought a "Red Set" from NYX on Hautelook.  Those reds suited me better than Ruby Woo and I love Ruby Woo.

-------------
Chris and Koochie split! - Mrshairdo

Sometimes when sh*t happens...you say fucc - Cyndi Lauper

let's look death in the face and say "whatever man". -Hurley.

Print Page | Close Window