Print Page | Close Window

Strong, Smart, Beautiful?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=350865
Printed Date: Nov 21 2018 at 10:17am

Topic: Strong, Smart, Beautiful?
Posted By: Az~Maverick
Subject: Strong, Smart, Beautiful?
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 12:37am
Is this bish crazy? Confused 

http://toglobalist.org/2012/11/strong-smart-beautiful/" rel="nofollow - http://toglobalist.org/2012/11/strong-smart-beautiful/

Malia, Sasha and Michelle Obama at the Democratic National Convention in September. Photo by Barack Obama via Flickr.

It was inappropriate for Obama to praise his daughters' beauty in his victory speech

Of all the adjectives that could be used to describe Sasha and Malia Obama, “strong”, “smart”, and “beautiful” were the ones President Obama chose in his victory speech on Tuesday night.

It is difficult to imagine a president congratulating his sons for being handsome. So why was it appropriate for Obama to praise 11-year-old Sasha and 14-year-old Malia for their beauty?

“Sasha and Malia, before our very eyes, you’re growing up to become two strong, smart, beautiful young women, just like your mom,” said the newly re-elected President. “And I am so proud of you guys.”

Obama’s comments beg the question of why a girl’s beauty should be source of pride for her father— and why beauty should be a value lauded alongside strength and intelligence.

The President may have been directing his comments at only two people, but he had the ears of the world, and on a day that should have been a triumph for women, his remarks stung.

More women were elected to Congress than ever before. Congressman Todd Akin of “legitimate rape” notoriety was soundly defeated in Missouri. The party that advocates women’s right to choose prevailed.

This campaign reminded us that the presidency is a symbolic role as much as a practical one. Voters overlooked Obama’s failure to revive the economy and reduce the deficit, ultimately pulling the lever for the candidate who has consistently come first in likability if not in job approval.

Every evidence suggests that Obama takes his role as a figurehead seriously. On Father’s Day 2008, he famously chastised fathers who fail to engage with their children. He has made a point of going on “dates” with Michelle and spending time with his daughters in spite of his busy  http://toglobalist.org/2012/11/strong-smart-beautiful/#" rel="nofollow - schedule .

It is disappointing that on Tuesday, Obama— a liberal President seen as a champion for women’s rights— conformed to the ideology that sets up beauty as something young  http://toglobalist.org/2012/11/strong-smart-beautiful/#" rel="nofollow - girls  should aspire to. Women are voted into office with more and more regularity and Obama has appointed women to top Cabinet positions, but girls are still praised not only for their accomplishments but for their appearance.

Replies:
Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 12:39am
Omg omg
Wtf is wrong with ppl.

An issue has to be made out of everything.
Inappropriate ?

Imma need the world to end soon

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: FarraFace
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 12:40am
Beauty is more than physical.

Yes, that bish is cray.

-------------

Posted By: Flowing-Ice
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 12:40am
feminists have told me this before.

-------------
And Jean Paul Gaultier and a Hermes bag and four inch tips made of ostrich ;Sharp enough to slit your wrists her lips spread gossip ;Won't say sorry when she offends

Posted By: starflower7
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 12:41am
Beautiful can mean a lot of things.

-------------
"I give to the needy...and not the greedy!"

"Mm hm that's right!"

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 12:43am
He shouldn't have compared his daughters to their smart strong and beautiful mom? I see what she is trying to do but tell the author to stop reaching.LOL

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Posted By: **Sk!TtLeS B**
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 12:43am
That bitch needta get slapped

-------------
Im making a political statement every time I make my ass clap - Ru Paul

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 12:44am
A father can't call his children beautiful?!

People need hobbies these days.

Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 12:45am
Beauty is stil very much a valued attribute when it comes to women.

Men use it against women and women use it against other women,

It's not changing soon

Why did she turn this innocent remark into a " thing " though.
Geez ppl

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 12:46am
He did what a good father does.
Wtf?

Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 12:48am
Was this written by a white woman? If she can reach, so can I.

She only has a problem with what he said because she has a problem with black women, young or old, being considered "beautiful."Stern Smile

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 12:48am
i don't get why she had to do this.
but from what i understand... this is a real thing in some feminists' worlds. 

-------------
And Jean Paul Gaultier and a Hermes bag and four inch tips made of ostrich ;Sharp enough to slit your wrists her lips spread gossip ;Won't say sorry when she offends

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 12:49am
You can also Tell They're Geniunely Sweet and Kind and that's what makes them Beautiful. It just so happen that the inside matches the outside...

Article writer go shake yourself real hard

Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 12:51am
It's better than our women being called b!tches & h0es, I mean really wtf?? She need to sit all the way down!

Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 12:52am
Originally posted by Az~Maverick Az~Maverick wrote:

It's better than our women being called b!tches & h0es, I mean really wtf?? She need to sit all the way down!

(playing devil's advocate)
does that mean that she has to accept it? because its better than the alternative?

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 12:53am
I'll bet the farm this is a white woman

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: PRnena
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 12:59am

@ jones

-------------
I keep forgetting everyone on BHM is a 10 with a faithful man and nothing but designer in their closet.

11 months since BC- 1/24/12

( I use BHM on my phone guys)

Posted By: smaison
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 1:00am
She needs to stfu and drink bleach.

-------------
"I don't give a flying pretzel in skittle rainbow hell"

Posted By: chinadoll77
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 1:03am
Well,if you didn't have a Dad to tell you those things,you might be salty too.....

You're damned if you do,and damned if you don't......His comments concerning his daughter's were sweet,and touching.....

-------------
If I worried about what you thought about me,it would be a grave misuse of my ME TIME....

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 1:19am
her daddy aint neva tell her that sh!t so she is hating

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Posted By: ceme
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 1:26am
Say hello to Alice
What a shocker

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 1:35am
It was actually defiant to say that about black girls, not Anglo Saxon patriarchal in my opinion

Posted By: exoticmami06
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 1:35am

oh brother.

I believe someone once said it's good to tell your daughters they're beautiful, as much as possible, so she doesnt fall for every man out here that tells her she's beautiful just to get in her pants.

-------------

Posted By: ImThatDiva
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 1:43am
It's not like he was complimenting some random strangers, he was complimenting his children, the two girls he helped create. he has every right to brag about any aspect of them he sees fit. Bitch have a seat, have a seat!Pinch

-------------
Mrs.ImThatModdlessDiva
TWERKIN' MY WAY DOWNTOWN
CARS DRIVE PAST
DRIVERS CRASH AND I'M LOWDOWN
-Midna

Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 1:46am
Originally posted by ceme ceme wrote:

Say hello to Alice
What a shocker

It was evident that she was white. I just cant see a black woman, or any woman of color, complaining about a man who is present in his children's lives and calling his daughters, who dont fit into the eurocentric standard of beauty, beautiful young ladies. 

-------------

Posted By: beebeexx
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 2:06am
I see her point but I think she's taking too stringent a view of "beautiful".
cause it's definitely true he wouldn't be up there congratulating his sons on being handsome.

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 2:07am
Originally posted by beebeexx beebeexx wrote:

cause it's definitely true he wouldn't be up there congratulating his sons on being handsome.

A mother would. 

Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 2:12am

How do you know? Also, he didnt "congratulate" them. He said that they've grown into strong, smart and beautiful young women. If they were boys, he would've said that they've grown into strong, smart and handsome young men. These are the things people say about their kids.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 2:12am
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

A mother would. 

while I find it hard to believe a mother, president of a country, a company, or what have you would be going on about her sons intellect and strength of character and mixing handsome up in there. they just don't equate.
but for some reason, for women it does.

butttt that aside the article is looking at a patriarchal view (society >> women/ man >> father) so what a woman would do in terms of her son is irrelevant.

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 2:17am
She'd get more cosiggies if it wasn't Barack

-------------
I just can't stand the negro british midget. He brings out the worst in me.....

I sometimes think AfroK is gay and either doesn't know it or won't admit to it..

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 2:19am
Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

She'd get more cosiggies if it wasn't Barack white hair media
Big smile

LOL

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Posted By: afrokock
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 2:26am
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Originally posted by afrokock afrokock wrote:

She'd get more cosiggies if it wasn't Barack white hair media

Big smile

LOL

-------------
I just can't stand the negro british midget. He brings out the worst in me.....

I sometimes think AfroK is gay and either doesn't know it or won't admit to it..

Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 2:30am
Also, since we want to get into feminist theory, we can stop acting like black women have been that "damsel" that white feminists always want to cry about. How often are black girls told that they're beautiful? How often are black women the princesses who need to be saved? How often are black women's looks celebrated, and not picked apart and ridiculed? Seems like every couple of months, there's a new "study" or a new "discussion" as to why black women are less attractive. 

Bitch needs to take her white feminism bullsh*t, shove it up her ass, then sit the fck down. This "empowerment" they speak of and want to shove down our throats looks exactly like the same ol' sh*t black women have been dealing with since day one. 

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 2:32am
Originally posted by Positive K Positive K wrote:

A mother would. 

while I find it hard to believe a mother, president of a country, a company, or what have you would be going on about her sons intellect and strength of character and mixing handsome up in there. they just don't equate.

butttt that aside the article is looking at a patriarchal view (society >> women/ man >> father) so what a woman would do in terms of her son is irrelevant.

u find it hard to believe cause u on that fake feminism bs

I also find it hard to believe you have any real conception of what feminism is, let alone the "fake" kind. but try again.

oh and I realize I meant to say father >> daughter not man/father. woops.

Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 2:33am
Originally posted by **Sk!TtLeS B** **Sk!TtLeS B** wrote:

Also, since we want to get into feminist theory, we can stop acting like black women have been that "damsel" that white feminists always want to cry about. How often are black girls told that they're beautiful? How often are black women the princesses who need to be saved? How often are black women's looks celebrated, and not picked apart and ridiculed? Seems like every couple of months, there's a new "study" or a new "discussion" as to why black women are less attractive. 

Bitch needs to take her white feminism bullsh*t, shove it up her ass, then sit the fck down. This "empowerment" they speak of and want to shove down our throats looks exactly like the same ol' sh*t black women have been dealing with since day one. 

now this I can get behind.
white feminism always wanna act like their sh*t is universal. no, it's white.

Posted By: nimkola
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 2:34am
Originally posted by **Sk!TtLeS B** **Sk!TtLeS B** wrote:

Clap

Posted By: freedom76
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 8:53am

I also find it hard to believe that a mother would even add "handsome" if she were the president. I also agree that it isn't about what a mother or woman would do in regards to her sons. What I think the poster missed, and many here have reflected on, is little black girls need to be told they are beautiful. This isn't to be confused with "your beauty determines your success in life." In a mixed society, certain people can't understand the issues with other cultures. It is what it is. I actually would have agreed with the woman had Barack been white. This is only because I think it is harmful the way little white girls are told constantly how important their beauty is. While we have the opposite problem. People just need to be educated on the myriad of issues WOMEN have.

-------------
I find women that encourage double standards on other women disgusting./femmefatale85

Posted By: Harmonii
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Elohim_is_Love Elohim_is_Love wrote:

She is mad that her standard of beauty is dwindling and like my uncle said he overheard white women saying black women are the msot beautiful women in the world and they cannot ever tell them that.

That's show that everything comes around and that they fear being an after thought on the totem pole.

This. I've heard white women say that before as well.

Posted By: babyk94
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 8:59am
My father tells me I'm smart and beautiful I think it's sweet Smile

Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 9:06am
Originally posted by babyk94 babyk94 wrote:

Both my parents still do. I actually call my mother beautiful every time I speak to her as well. One of the best things about my dad is he has little to no sexism in his heart and head. He calls me beautiful and at the same time tells me to use my noggin (his word) in each and every situation. I know he isn't looking at me thinking "man she is screwed when if her looks changes"

-------------
I find women that encourage double standards on other women disgusting./femmefatale85

Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 9:08am

Our black girls need to be told how beautiful they are ALL THE TIME!!!!!!

-------------
My mind explodes

Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 9:10am
*sigh

listen... this is hyper feminism gone wild ..
its.. As if the president is sexualizing his daughters ...wtf?

If Michelle was President and had two sons... she wouldve said the same thing and replaced beautiful with handsome ... and not an issue would've been made. 

Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 9:11am
Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

Our black girls need to be told how beautiful they are ALL THE TIME!!!!!!

IA building up their self esteem is very important

Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 9:12am
Originally posted by freedom76 freedom76 wrote:

Originally posted by babyk94 babyk94 wrote:

Both my parents still do. I actually call my mother beautiful every time I speak to her as well. One of the best things about my dad is he has little to no sexism in his heart and head. He calls me beautiful and at the same time tells me to use my noggin (his word) in each and every situation. I know he isn't looking at me thinking "man she is screwed when if her looks changes"
Thanked and Samehere Smile

Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 9:28am
Originally posted by Positive K Positive K wrote:

A mother would. 

u find it hard to believe cause u on that fake feminism bs

Right... 

I find it hard to believe that any LOVING mother witnessing their sons transition of growth and maturity, would not find their growing sons to be handsome young men. 

Even Grandmothers ,aunts ect can experience this

and lets not even get into patriarchy .... which is such a linear point of view ...

Posted By: BrownQtee
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 9:39am
I didn't bother to research the writer of this article. So i'm going to assume she is ugly as all hell. Usually those that aren't aesthetically pleasing to the eye, always have something negative to say about "beauty". Have a damn seat.

Posted By: tasty0619
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 9:49am
^^Lol!!

Was I wrong to assume she is white? (A lot of times) BW know what it means to have your father say you are beautiful and how that can make or break young ladies.

-------------
Visit my accessory store to view my handmade designs!! www.etsy.com/shop/modishness

Posted By: SimplyPut
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 10:16am
My father, grandfather, uncles, aunts, and mother all call me beautiful. I don't even take it in a "darn I'm fine" kind of way. Wasn't Christina Auguliera's song Beauty like the feminist and gay anthem at one boy and time? People are going to hurt themselves reachingSleepy

Posted By: Faithfully2002
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 10:38am
Originally posted by ShadyLady ShadyLady wrote:

A father can't call his children beautiful?!

People need hobbies these days.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 11:28am
I've NEVER had a problem with telling BOTH my 19 & 20 (boy & girl) year old how beautiful/handsome, intelligent, and awesome they are since they were little. It became second nature to me to do that. And to this day, I STILL do it, so the author is definitely on some stuff that I cannot relate to.

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 11:51am

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 11:58am

I've NEVER had a problem with telling BOTH my 19 & 20 (boy & girl) year old how beautiful/handsome, intelligent, and awesome they are since they were little. It became second nature to me to do that. And to this day, I STILL do it, so the author is definitely on some stuff that I cannot relate to.

I tell my boys how attractive they are all the time. I am not sure if I was making a political speech I would include them being handsome. Not saying there is anything WRONG with it. Probably because I would have a stage to prove BLACK MEN are not the crap they claim they are. I would focus on all their positive attributes. But that is just me.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 2:01pm
Originally posted by Elohim_is_Love Elohim_is_Love wrote:

That's because you're a human being.Wink

Big smileHeart

Posted By: msjaim2
Date Posted: Nov 14 2012 at 3:04pm
If he was an absentee father then it would be another issue..my father always praised my sisters and ifor our Inteligence, any inherent talent and beauty as every father should...if they should hear it from anyone it should be their dad..ppl find anything to bitch about..trivial sh*t irks me.

Print Page | Close Window