Print Page | Close Window

Are retail workers justified in being upset

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=350797
Printed Date: Aug 16 2018 at 3:48am

Topic: Are retail workers justified in being upset
Posted By: tropical-punch
Subject: Are retail workers justified in being upset
Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 10:22pm
about working on Thanksgiving Day? or should they just suck it up and work like the rest of us that work holidays (plus nights and weekends)?
(from change.org)

My name is Casey, and I'm a proud Target employee. But I just found out that Target might take away Thanksgiving dinner with my family.

This Thanksgiving, Target could open earlier than ever, with Black Friday shopping starting as early as 9pm on Thanksgiving night. I love my job, and for the past six years have gotten stellar reviews from my supervisors. But I can't even request time off -- it's mandatory for all Target employees to work Black Friday hours, even though it means some people start as early as 8pm on Thanksgiving!

This policy is irresponsible and doesn't give me -- or consumers who want to take advantage of sales -- a chance to enjoy Thanksgiving.

http://I%20started%20a%20petition%20on%20Change.org%20because%20Target%20needs%20to%20give%20Thanksgiving%20back%20to%20its%20employees%20by%20not%20opening%20on%20Thanksgiving.%20Sign%20my%20petition%20by%20clicking%20here." rel="nofollow - I started a petition on Change.org because Target needs to give Thanksgiving back to its employees by not opening on Thanksgiving. Sign my petition by clicking here.

I moved to California from the East Coast for a teaching certificate Master's program. That means I've been working two jobs just to make ends meet, even when I was going to school full time. I've been looking forward to Thanksgiving as not just a day off, but the only time I'll get all year to see my family.

I know Target won't be happy because I'm speaking out, but that's how important it is for me and my fellow Target employees to spend Thanksgiving relaxing with our loved ones.

Last year, another Target employee started a petition on Change.org asking them to open later for Black Friday that got a lot of attention. I hope that by calling out Target again they will pay attention and push back opening times at stores across the country.

http://Click%20here%20to%20sign%20my%20petition%20asking%20Target%20to%20save%20Thanksgiving%20for%20both%20employees%20and%20customers%20by%20opening%20later%20for%20holiday%20sales." rel="nofollow - Thank you for your support.

Casey St. Clair
Corona, California

Replies:
Posted By: kkscottdale
Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 10:24pm
I work at a hospital and I'm working on Thanksgiving. But then again, I do get paid extra for working that day.

Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 10:24pm
They need to rotate holidays like they do at other places.

Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 10:26pm
business is business is business

-------------
My mind explodes

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 10:27pm
my momma works in health care and might be working. stfu and suck it up.

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 10:28pm
they doing it earlier and earlier though. 9pm is a prime time to be with your family.

Posted By: Spokenword
Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 10:30pm
do they get time and a half? i mean, i know it sucks but the holidays are not mandatory that everyone has to observe. i agree with rotate the holidays to allow people to take off. there are quite a few professions who have to work on holidays.

Posted By: missdeeluxe
Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 10:31pm
Stupid, imo.
But it's your job.
Request some time off or rotate.

I ended up working every holiday because we were open 24/7 even though no one is gonna come in on Christmas Eve.
But holiday pay = $$

Posted By: Miss SDY
Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 10:34pm
I'm in healthcare and I have to work my regular shift but I do get paid for 16 hours plus time and a half for those 16 hours so I'm good.. I did want to be with my family but I get to see them Christmas..

I do understand how they feel but they know its part of their job..

-------------
http://daisypath.com" rel="nofollow">

NL----[SL]----APL----BSB----BSL

Closing in on APL!!!

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 10:35pm
Life goes on. Holiday or not

Posted By: nycdiva357
Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

i said this last year on here and was attacked. lol

apparently when you make more money-- you dont have the right to spend time w/ your family.

lol

my momma  and daddy always miss xmas/new years/thanksgiving  (changes up every yr) b/c of their job.
but the man at target deserves to be w/ his family.

-------------
He follows what I'm saying.. I aint gotta twitter shyt.

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 10:39pm
Working at a hospital is not the same as making someone work at tarjay just so u can get yo bum azz movie for 1.99 sit yall consumption crazedazzes down 

-------------

Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 10:40pm
i am looking forward to all the movies that I'm going to purchase for 1.99Approve

-------------
My mind explodes

Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 10:43pm
Originally posted by Gkisses Gkisses wrote:

Working at a hospital is not the same as making someone work at tarjay just so u can get yo bum azz movie for 1.99 sit yall consumption crazedazzes down 

i need new electronics boo.

so they can go to work or quit..lol

-------------

Posted By: dejee
Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 10:44pm
Well folks know what they sign on for when they take a retail job....

Posted By: laceyfront
Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 10:50pm

My sis has to work on thanksgiving and most of our fam lives out of town so with her and her child not being there its only gone be a couple of people round the table. Im angry and sad at the same time....she is a good time so its gone be pretty lame without her.

Posted By: PRnena
Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 10:56pm
At my job our holiday hours are 10am- 11pm instead of 10am-12am. And we don't get time and a half. Same for christmas.

On laborday our corporate office sent out a memo saying happy labor day and that their offices were closed and to show appreciation for us we had a shorter workday. It was the same hours as our 'holiday hours' -___- . So I guess they don't appreciate us smh

It sucks

-------------
I keep forgetting everyone on BHM is a 10 with a faithful man and nothing but designer in their closet.

11 months since BC- 1/24/12

( I use BHM on my phone guys)

Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 10:57pm
Since I can't take off this will be my 1st thanksgiving without my family :(

I'm not ready. I'm too young. I told my boss straight up I'm gone a week in december for my bday and christmas.

-------------
I keep forgetting everyone on BHM is a 10 with a faithful man and nothing but designer in their closet.

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 11:02pm
ya'll like for real comparin' workin' in health care to Retail?  Cry  I luh ya'll.

I have worked in retail and it is sometimes unfair.  They do need to rotate the holidays but nowadays they are tellin' folks straight out that they have to come in to work and fucc you we are not rotating sh*t. 

They essentially black out these particular days...and then to move the time up....I mean...it is kind of wrong.   If folks would rather spend that time with their family than to get time and a half it should be some kind of options.  A holiday rotation would be fair but it seems that u have no options....u have to come in and you're having to come in earlier and earlier every year.  At least that's how I read the complaint.

-------------
Chris and Koochie split! - Mrshairdo

Sometimes when sh*t happens...you say fucc - Cyndi Lauper

let's look death in the face and say "whatever man". -Hurley.

Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 11:03pm
Originally posted by nycdiva357 nycdiva357 wrote:

i need new electronics boo.

so they can go to work or quit..lol
lol. damn.

Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 11:07pm
work is work.

you have to work certain times when you dont want to.

ive worked black friday in the past... did i like it? nope. but i did it -- it was my job.

if i didnt want to- I'd find a job where i wouldn't have to.

-------------

Posted By: gabi03
Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 11:15pm
She needs to stfu and put on her sh*tty red shirt and faded khakis and take her ass to work. I know a few people who would be happy to take that paycheck. Her situation sucks but seriously, its retail and retail sucks. 

I worked at a movie theatre for almost 4 years and we were open on Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Years (Those are actually the busiest days of the year for us). And I missed so many family dinners and gatherings while at that job, but guess what I did. I found another job that didn't have me working everyday of the year. She should try it. 

Posted By: rickysrose
Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 11:15pm
Either work earlier or get trampled the next day

Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 11:19pm
Ebenezer Scrooge azzes.......

if theyre going to make it mandatory for them to work they should get time & half at the very least and a bag of free sh!t...Having worked at the Tarjay cult during this time they aint getting sh1t but carts full of sh!t to put back up

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 11:21pm
I believe at Walmart employees get some sort of premium pay for Black Friday. 

Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 11:22pm
Originally posted by tropical-punch tropical-punch wrote:

Really? Stingy azz Wally World is paying premiums?

Posted By: starflower7
Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 11:23pm
LoL sucks for her.

-------------
"I give to the needy...and not the greedy!"

"Mm hm that's right!"

Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 11:25pm
lmao @ scrooge.

damn Gabi-- i like that shyt boo! keep it up! lmao.

but yeah-- mama needs a new kitchen aide mixer!!

so ill be stimulating the economy that day!

-------------

Posted By: Miss SDY
Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 11:32pm
I'm not trying to compare healthcare to retail. It's apples and oranges. I think it sucks they HAVE to work on Thanksgiving. I think they should rotate holidays. They should at least get time and a half.

I have to miss Thanksgiving with my family. Period. My family is in another state and I will be completely alone this Thanksgiving because its my holiday to work. It sucks especially because this is the first Thanksgiving without my mom but its part of my job. I have to do it.

I understand how they feel but its part of their job.. At least they actually get to see their families..

-------------
http://daisypath.com" rel="nofollow">

NL----[SL]----APL----BSB----BSL

Closing in on APL!!!

Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 11:33pm
Halloween is the busiest time of the year at my job. I worked a 130 hour pay period and a 120 hour pay period consecutively. But I was balling tho

-------------

Posted By: ImThatDiva
Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 11:35pm
They don't need to do it so early...
otherwise...meh...I can't relate...I will be shopping though so if your store is open early I'll be there Stern Smile...

-------------
Mrs.ImThatModdlessDiva
TWERKIN' MY WAY DOWNTOWN
CARS DRIVE PAST
DRIVERS CRASH AND I'M LOWDOWN
-Midna

Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 11:36pm
See this is what happens when its hard to find jobs and folks get taken advantage of by their employers. In many states its not so easy as just going to find a job. Tarjay was the first retail place i worked at that didnt offer time and half for holiday work. Even Kmart did that had gave u 80% off of certain merchandise andddd made u a big dinner... and yes they are close to being out of business but still...lol that kind of stuff made ppl volunteer to work. Which made them happier workers.... So ya dont be surprised when all the sh!t u want is gone.... because its not... its just in the back being held for a supervisor or summin. 

-------------

Posted By: tasty0619
Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 11:37pm
damn ya'll rough out chea

I was fortunate enough to stop working in retail at 16 so I would probably lose my mind if I didn't at least have the option to take off....then again they aren't the only ones. My ex worked in a call center for a bank, and she had to work holidays, but at least she would get paid holiday pay and her regular pay

-------------
Visit my accessory store to view my handmade designs!! www.etsy.com/shop/modishness

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 11:38pm
Originally posted by dejee dejee wrote:

Right? Wal Mart don't give a damn about their hourly workers.Cry

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 11:39pm
This thread makes me glad im not in retail right now...Evil azz holiday shoppers...lawd 

-------------

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 11:42pm

This thread makes me glad im not in retail right now...Evil azz holiday shoppers...lawd 

i dont even shop on the holidays.LOL i hate it.

i dont understand how it's mandatory for every employee to work that night. are they working from 8pm-8pm? how do the shifts work? who relieves whom?

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 11:43pm

See this is what happens when its hard to find jobs and folks get taken advantage of by their employers. In many states its not so easy as just going to find a job. Tarjay was the first retail place i worked at that didnt offer time and half for holiday work. Even Kmart did that had gave u 80% off of certain merchandise andddd made u a big dinner... and yes they are close to being out of business but still...lol that kind of stuff made ppl volunteer to work. Which made them happier workers.... So ya dont be surprised when all the sh!t u want is gone.... because its not... its just in the back being held for a supervisor or summin. 

When I was a teen working retail I had to work on tgiving and all the eves. I NEVER got any time and a half or any type of incentive. I do thinks it's crazy that they are opening earlier and earlier though.

lmao i remember last year the news had a little segment where they were interviewing workers ( i wanna say @ best buy) about being unhappy about having to work on BF.

and the reporter goes " well if you weren't working the day-- where would you be?"
i think everyone expected ol' boy to be like- at home sleep; spending time w/ the family, eating more plates etc.

but instead he was like

*i'd be in line shopping w/ my friends*

lmao.

-------------

Posted By: BBpants
It's unfair. Especially with the crappy pay. Nobody wants to work at 9 pm on thanksgiving to look at yall asses. 

-------------
yo

Posted By: **Sk!TtLeS B**
Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 11:46pm
Target is being stank as sh*t. I dont like that these muhfckas were playing Christmas commercials at the beginning of October, and that they're opening at 9pm on Thanksgiving. Target is a big ass coportation that's gonna make hella money on black friday regardless of when they open, and they're gonna make hella money during the holiday season regardless of when their Christmas commercials are playing. They look pressed, desperate, and greedy, and it's not a good look. 

However, when you get into retail, one of the first questions they ask you is whether or not you're willing to work holidays. I think it's fcked up that they're not getting paid extra for it (they have to leave their families and deal with crazy ass black friday shoppers for damn near min. wage?), but they knew what they were getting into.

Target is still on some fck sh*t, though. 

-------------
Im making a political statement every time I make my ass clap - Ru Paul

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 11:48pm
i wouldn't be caught dead shopping on black friday (that shyt dont even sound right ) let alone thanksgiving evening. no.

-------------
you say i need some time to meditate...naaaaah b*tch i'm fly! i need time to levitate... ~yeezy

dacoldesteva

They be lying though. They say everyone has to work on a particular day and then they still go and give off to whom they please. They just tell everyone that everyone has to work so they don't argue about it.

-------------

"Mm hm that's right!"

Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

i wouldn't be caught dead shopping on black friday (that shyt dont even sound right ) let alone thanksgiving evening. no.

I agree. It ain't worth it.

-------------

"Mm hm that's right!"

Posted By: ScorpioLuv
Date Posted: Nov 12 2012 at 11:49pm

Healthcare is a diff ballpark though

-------------
Sons of bitches,smh

Posted By: femmefatale85
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 12:01am
My dad's a cop. He usually spends those late nights arresting disgruntled shoppers. I'm sure he wants to be at home with us, but he realizes it's his job and money is money when you have bills.

Posted By: Nijjah25
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 12:09am
I would be more upset working retail....poor babies 

-------------
BIG NOSE .... BIG LIPS....
BUDDA BUP BUP BUHHHHH IM LOVING IT

Posted By: Random Thoughts
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 12:13am
I don't see any real reason why stores are starting black friday ON thanksgiving. I read it's happening at other retail stores too. Seems greedy and unnecessary as hell. 

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 12:23am
yes I think its wrong. The whole point of holiday is for most shops and biz. to be closed! If TArget starts to break this tradtion maybe they will start a trend and goodbye to holidays everywhere! I think I hate Capatilisim

Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 12:28am

This did cross my mind.  That's the angle most will play.  Be grateful u got a job.  And when this economy gets worse (for the folks not in a STEM related field).....you'll have more of this.   This gettin taken advantage of because they know u won't quit because they could find someone else on the same day u leave to take your job.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 12:30am

Like I said..........I used to work retail...and I have worked many a Black Friday.   But this was back in the day when Black Friday was on Friday.  I understand companies are tryna get paid but.....there has to be some sort of....boundaries(?) decency(?)

-------------

Posted By: nikietc
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 12:31am
they'll be aight. it's not like it's a surprise that a retail worker has to work when the store is open.  there's plenty of people who have to work on holidays. you gotta do what you gotta do. and, since veteran's day just passed, let's think of all the soldiers overseas who have to work holidays. if you're a retail worker, sleep late, have dinner at 3 or 4 pm, then hop in the car and go to work. *shrug* 

-------------
-----
"Shoes are important things for a woman. Good shoes will take you to good places." ~Min Seo Hyun, Boys Over Flowers

Posted By: Samoneisthebest
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 12:46am
*gets khakis and red shirt ready*

I'll be working 8:30pm to 2am on Thanksgiving. Those hours aren't even listed on my availability cause I'm in school but they sho'nuff got my scheduled to work em. *sigh*

I would normally be taking a road trip to a small pecan farm in Georgia and had a good ole country dinner with family and stories about the good old days.

But money rules everything and living aint cheap. Disapprove

-------------
Can't even twerk no mo. They tired out. Lets ride out.

Posted By: Samoneisthebest
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 12:48am
Hope everyone I'm going to miss seeing this Thanksgiving makes it to next...

Time is precious yall.

-------------
Can't even twerk no mo. They tired out. Lets ride out.

Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 12:49am
Why be mad though? They aren't the only ones that have to deal with working on holidays. And IF most retail store are like any other business that makes their workers work on holidays they probably get paid time and a half for working on holidays anyway. Better be glad to be gettin' extra money

Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 12:55am
What if they don't give time and a half. Ex: my job

Can I be mad then?

But these mofos be taking off for their jewish holidays for 'religious reasons'

Real ish I'm side - eyeing everybody who comes in and buys hair products that day smh. Wash ur hair another day

-------------

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 12:57am
The real question is....Why the hell is anyone going shopping at 9pm on Thanksgiving. Don't they have families or lives? The fuck lol 

-------------
yo

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 12:57am
Black Friday is a shytty and senseless shopping day, anyway.

Target is cheap.  They need to offer these employees time and a half plus extra discounts and maybe first dibs at merchandise to make them want to be there.

-------------
When common sense fails, assume I am taking the piss and being sarcastic.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Posted By: OrriannaRose
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 2:21am
Originally posted by gabi03 gabi03 wrote:

She needs to stfu and put on her sh*tty red shirt and faded khakis and take her ass to work. I know a few people who would be happy to take that paycheck. Her situation sucks but seriously, its retail and retail sucks. 

*sobs and raises hand* CryCry

-------------

Posted By: chinadoll77
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 2:24am
I have to work most holidays because my facility never closes.If you chose to work in certain areas that's something that you learn to deal with...

-------------
If I worried about what you thought about me,it would be a grave misuse of my ME TIME....

Posted By: uNaTtaiNAblE88
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 5:53am
I work on the Strip. wtf is a holiday?

I have only had one Thanksgiving and Christmas off to be with my family since I was 18. I was supposed to have Christmas Eve and New Year's Eve off this year, but we bid for different shifts and now I get nothing. I knew the deal when I got into the hospitality industry.

Business is Business. you are not a person, you are a part, and therefore replaceable. It should come as no surprise that a giant like Target is going to be an integral part of Black Friday. Retail is a beast.

Posted By: Addicted19034
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 6:03am

Yea I don't believe that

Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 6:11am
Damn that is cold as hell. What is wrong with giving people the day off? If all stores did it then people would show up in droves the next day. Yes, money is to be made but if your workers are happy then they are more likely to do better at work.
You just can't compare those that work in healthcare to some low wage store clerk.

Posted By: JamCaygirl
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 6:32am
They should not be open on a holiday and give the staff the time off to be with their families...

wtf is wrong with people thinking this is ok?

money money money

-------------
Out of many, one people.....
Happy 50th JAMAICA!

Posted By: JamCaygirl
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 6:36am
Our American based clients asked us to open on our public holidays to service them (since their offices were open), we told them to eff off.

Everything shouldnt be all about work....

-------------
Out of many, one people.....
Happy 50th JAMAICA!

Posted By: BeatriceBean
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 6:42am
They should be off. Healthcare services are essential, getting a new TV is not. Give these people a break. Every holiday doesn't need to be flipped into an opportunity for mass consumption.

Black Friday starts earlier and earlier every year. Before we know it, Thanksgiving will end at 11 am and Black Friday will begin at noon

-------------
Life is good!

Posted By: BoutThatLife
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 7:04am
Retail and health care should not be compared. Health care saving lives, that retail sh*t can wait. Its not important but they hype it up like its the biggest deal ever.stores should be closed on holidays

-------------
I AM THE AUTHOR OF MY OWN SCRIPT AND I PLAY BY MY RULES.

POSITIVITY + LOVE AND ALL GOOD THINGS SURROUND ME

Posted By: smaison
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 7:22am
i'm in healthcare, so i have worked holidays. since i have thanksgiving off, will be working christmas. she just needs to stop. 

-------------
"I don't give a flying pretzel in skittle rainbow hell"

Posted By: OrriannaRose
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 7:46am
Originally posted by BoutThatLife BoutThatLife wrote:

Retail and health care should not be compared. Health care saving lives, that retail sh*t can wait. Its not important but they hype it up like its the biggest deal ever.stores should be closed on holidays

-------------

Posted By: MizzAmirah
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 8:26am
Originally posted by kkscottdale kkscottdale wrote:

I work at a hospital and I'm working on Thanksgiving. But then again, I do get paid extra for working that day.

Yup, same here, so she could suck it up. At least she may have it off next year.

-------------

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 8:34am
so is the lesson here dont give a damn about other peoples work problems?  what ever youre going through accept it?  slavery is a hell of a mindset.

Posted By: Afrocentchic
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 8:39am

word. And I agree with your previous post. I have worked in the hospital, my mother is currently a DoN and my sister is in dietary. We have all had to work holidays or trade shifts to get off early or get the day off altogether. 

That said,  there is major difference between taking care of sick and dying people vs making sure these folks get their flat screens. eff out of here.

And even then, a lot of times patients that can will do the best to get discharged during the holidays. Doctor's usually aren't there either and aren't trying to be so they will discharge as long as everything looks all good.

When the pop on the unit decreases they start sending staff home. 

-------------
For Black women as well as Black men, it is axiomatic that if we do not define ourselves for ourselves, we will be defined by others --for their use and to our detriment. - Audre Lord

Posted By: Serwa
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 8:43am
Anything for a dollar, I see.

What's wrong with extending Black Friday into Saturday and allowing employees to celebrate with family and friends?

-------------
"The truth has a greater power than a hundred lies." -Howard Zinn

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 9:00am
Originally posted by Serwa Serwa wrote:

Anything for a dollar, I see.

What's wrong with extending Black Friday into Saturday and allowing employees to celebrate with family and friends?

That would make sense..

Posted By: melly
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 9:06am
I used to work in retail and when I worked on thanksgiving I was paid double. Thats how those retail chain stores are they think your work should be your life and that you shouldn't have a life or time for school, family and friends. I'm so glad that I dont work in retail anymore.

It sucks to work on holidays but as long as your paid double!!!
Maybe that woman in the article should try to get a better job in which she can have holidays off.

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 10:00am
She can always quit.

-------------
Laws are not written to protect children and women. They are written to protect MEN. - TokyoRose (truncated unfortunately)

Posted By: lovelife
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 10:18am
Some of the responses in here are disgusting. Everyone can't just find another job. No, it is not cool that they are making it mandatory to work on thanksgiving. You can't request it off because it is mandatory. Fcuk time and a half when you're making minimum wage and missing out on spending the holiday with your family. And lol at comparing working in health care to working at target.

-------------
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: iSMILE13
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 10:28am
Don't job apps ask if you can work holidays?

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 10:28am
Originally posted by TokyoRose TokyoRose wrote:

Target is cheap.  They need to offer these employees time and a half plus extra discounts and maybe first dibs at merchandise to make them want to be there.

I hope their employees get first dibs on everything in the store. Its only fair. 

But i'll never understand why ppl will get up at the crack of dawn for some $5 tshirts. Unless you're buying high ticket items....stay at home. And even for those items, i'd rather have my electronics delivered than trying to haul at big a$$ flat screen home. 

Posted By: miamiu1127
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 10:31am

Sorry that happened. Didn't someone complain about this last year as well. Anything for a buck, anything to try and beat another store to the punch. I remember when the only thing open was gas stations on turkey day, if you were out of something you had to borrow or just make due.

They could at least ask for volunteers.

-------------
I don't got to be fly, I'm fly in my pockets.

Posted By: chinadoll77
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 11:07am
Originally posted by lovelife lovelife wrote:

Some of the responses in here are disgusting. Everyone can't just find another job. No, it is not cool that they are making it mandatory to work on thanksgiving. You can't request it off because it is mandatory. Fcuk time and a half when you're making minimum wage and missing out on spending the holiday with your family. And lol at comparing working in health care to working at target.

So,we're wrong for not feeling bad about someone having to actually work on a job that they made a choice to apply for????Again,my facility is open 24 hours a day,7 days a week,we are required to report to work during storms(hi Sandy),do you really think that I want to go in,and monitor the little pyscho who's tried burning her family up during a blizzard,no...Do,I want to monitor the boy who stabbed his classmate in the neck on Christmas,Hell no...It is part of my job,I decided to apply,interview,and accept the position....

-------------
If I worried about what you thought about me,it would be a grave misuse of my ME TIME....

Posted By: LilMissSunshine
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 11:21am

agreed, cuz people still get sick on Holidays...you don't need to buy a crappy tv for $50.

Posted By: RoxieDream
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 11:25am
It's one thing to work Black Friday, but really? Thanksgiving?

I'm pretty sure they should have enough people who don't care about working Thanksgiving for the little bit they actually get paid that they don't have to force people to do it.

Is it really going to bring in that much extra money that it warrants opening their doors on Thanksgiving Day? I don't know too many people who are evening thinking about shopping starting Thursday night.

To me it's just not that serious.

-------------
<< Swerve >>

Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 11:25am
Originally posted by nycdiva357 nycdiva357 wrote:

lmao i remember last year the news had a little segment where they were interviewing workers ( i wanna say @ best buy) about being unhappy about having to work on BF.

and the reporter goes " well if you weren't working the day-- where would you be?"
i think everyone expected ol' boy to be like- at home sleep; spending time w/ the family, eating more plates etc.

but instead he was like

*i'd be in line shopping w/ my friends*

lmao.

wow!

Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 11:26am
Originally posted by BoutThatLife BoutThatLife wrote:

Yup

I prefer just shopping online anyway

-------------
<< Swerve >>

Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 11:28am
Originally posted by starflower7 starflower7 wrote:

They be lying though. They say everyone has to work on a particular day and then they still go and give off to whom they please. They just tell everyone that everyone has to work so they don't argue about it.
I worked in retail management for a year, and everybody had to work Black Friday. There were only a few exceptions, like people who had multiple jobs and could not work at all...best thing to do would be to lie and say I can't work here because I'm a manager at xyz and I have to be at my own store.

Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 11:29am
Originally posted by chinadoll77 chinadoll77 wrote:

Originally posted by lovelife lovelife wrote:

So,we're wrong for not feeling bad about someone having to actually work on a job that they made a choice to apply for????Again,my facility is open 24 hours a day,7 days a week,we are required to report to work during storms(hi Sandy),do you really think that I want to go in,and monitor the little pyscho who's tried burning her family up during a blizzard,no...Do,I want to monitor the boy who stabbed his classmate in the neck on Christmas,Hell no...It is part of my job,I decided to apply,interview,and accept the position....

Congrats Big smile Most people that I know that work in retail DO NOT have options. The one's that have chosen to be in retail (i.e. managers) are not the ones complaining. When I worked in retail a few years ago, it was the only type of job that I could get. There were mandatory days that I could not take off (no rotation, no switching shifts with someone else). You also aren't getting paid minimum wage or maybe a dollar more to deal with a messy store, sh*tty attitudes, and having to be somewhere that you don't want to be. Your job is most likely going to be exactly the same as any other day. Have you ever been shopping on black friday? If not, please stfu Embarrassed You can feel how ever you want, it's still disgusting imo.

-------------

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 11:30am
isn't this expanding black friday to purple thursday a new thing?

-------------
you say i need some time to meditate...naaaaah b*tch i'm fly! i need time to levitate... ~yeezy

dacoldesteva

Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 11:30am
Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

I don't see any real reason why stores are starting black friday ON thanksgiving. I read it's happening at other retail stores too. Seems greedy and unnecessary as hell. 

Right...and people only get there really early at places like best buy for big ticket electronics, all other stores folks don't show up until 8 am.

Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 11:36am
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

Originally posted by TokyoRose TokyoRose wrote:

I hope their employees get first dibs on everything in the store. Its only fair. 

But i'll never understand why ppl will get up at the crack of dawn for some $5 tshirts. Unless you're buying high ticket items....stay at home. And even for those items, i'd rather have my electronics delivered than trying to haul at big a$$ flat screen home. 
A lot of stores have their Black Friday deals all week. The store I worked at had their sale from Thanksgiving Eve all the way up to Christmas Eve, of course inventory got low closer to Christmas.

Posted By: Harmonii
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 11:36am

Exactly..hospitals don't close just cause its a holiday

Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 11:37am

I think it started last holiday season, so yes .... pretty new

-------------
<< Swerve >>

Posted By: Harmonii
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 11:38am
It rather shop the after Christmas sales anyway and usually from online. No way in waking up all early to stand in a long line

Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 11:38am
^^^ i worked at old navy. we opened at i think 10 pm or 11 pm on thanksgiving for black friday. The store was ridiculous for maybe two hours, then slowed down until maybe 6 am. I imagine at a store like target that sells a variety or products, not just clothes, they would get a steady stream of customers though. Especially those that are out anyway waiting for other nearby stores to open. 

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 11:39am
Originally posted by LilMissSunshine LilMissSunshine wrote:

Originally posted by Random Thoughts Random Thoughts wrote:

Right...and people only get there really early at places like best buy for big ticket electronics, all other stores folks don't show up until 8 am.

I worked one BF at Macy's and they were there real early .... Macy's doesn't even have good BF sales. It's insane

-------------
<< Swerve >>

Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 11:40am

yes. Walmart started it all a couple years ago

Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 11:41am
Originally posted by Harmonii Harmonii wrote:

Exactly..hospitals don't close just cause its a holiday

I think it's already been said .... you're not going to die if you don't get a TV or any other item on Thanksgiving.

It is greed.

-------------
<< Swerve >>

Posted By: Cream1970
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 11:42am

I don't do the Black Friday thing and I think it sucks because I'm sure the owners/share holders won't be at work..Buuut, that's why you sign up for.

I bet they checked "will work holidays and week-ends" on that job application in order to get hired.

-------------

Posted By: bubblyboo
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 11:42am

Well folks know what they sign on for when they take a retail job....

Which is exactly why they're pissed off. This isn't something that started out that way. Black Friday at target ALWAYS started at around 5-6am on Friday not 9pm thanksgiving night. I know because i was one of the dumb fcks who stood outside for hours on end til they opened. It's just in the past year or two that they're doing this new sheit. It's not fair that its mandatory. You're basically being forced to work something that u didn't agree to when u took the job (if you've been working there for more than a year.) sheit sucks and I feel for them.

-------------
Cry me a river d*@kface you just got yourself another one!

Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 11:43am
I don't think they thought they would actually be working ON Thanksgiving though

-------------
<< Swerve >>

Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Nov 13 2012 at 11:49am
Actually I agree with her.  Retail isn't healthcare because you can't shut down a hospital for a day.  But hospitals do run skeleton crews on major holidays, too. 

Retailers are just being greedy opening on Thursday evening to beat the other stores that open friday.  If CONSUMERS pushed back and didn't shop on thanksgiving, that would send a bigger message to retailers to stop wasting their time opening and allowing employees a chance to enjoy the day with their families.

-------------
Everyone has a role in life. We all can't be CEO's somebody gotta take the orders at Mickey D's & the KFC's -Jewelsync

Print Page | Close Window