Print Page | Close Window

A House Divided: Opposing Political Views

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=350518
Printed Date: Jun 24 2018 at 12:45am

Topic: A House Divided: Opposing Political Views
Posted By: PurplePhase
Subject: A House Divided: Opposing Political Views
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 7:26pm

do you think you could marry someone with opposing political views/different party?

A house divided: Love, marriage -- and opposing political views

By Diane Mapes and Melissa Dahl
http://www.nerve.com/files/uploads/features/2010/8/today.jpg

Paul and Anna Dremousis

Anna and Paul Dremousis, of Seattle, pictured here in 2006, don't agree politically, but after 48 years of marriage, they've figured out how to compromise.

He's voting Republican; she's voting Democrat. And the two of them have to share a bed.

This year's political climate has been mean and messy for months, but one factor is resonating at home for many (heterosexual, we should say) couples: the remarkable gender divide in presidential candidate supporters. Throughout the long election season, polls have http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/18/14542135-polls-obama-holds-his-lead-in-iowa-wisconsin?lite" rel="nofollow - repeatedly http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/11/14352371-nbcwsjmarist-poll-romney-gains-in-key-swing-states?lite" rel="nofollow - shown  that more women have supported President Barack Obama; guys, on the other hand, are more likely to say they'll be voting for Republican Mitt Romney. Take the  http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2012/10/31/14842207-nbcwsjmarist-polls-obama-leads-in-iowa-running-neck-and-neck-in-nh-wis?lite" rel="nofollow - most recent NBC News/Wall Street Journal/Marist poll , which shows Obama with a double-digit lead among women in three key states -- Iowa, New Hampshire and Wisconsin.

We http://todayhealth.today.com/_news/2012/10/26/14728582-are-you-and-your-partner-voting-for-different-presidential-candidates?lite" rel="nofollow - polled our own TODAY.com readers last week, and found that about 50 percent said that you and your partner are voting for different presidential candidates. 

For liberal-leaning Anna Dremousis of Seattle, all of this has meant night after night of listening to the hollering and howling coming from the next room as her 79-year-old husband, who she says is "about the only Greek Republican I've ever met," watches cable news.  

"My husband has a heart condition and he screams at the TV every night -- in two languages!" says Dremousis, a 67-year-old retired prosecuting attorney. "He's watching Fox and they'll show a clip of whatever Obama said that day and he just gets riled up." This has been happening on and off for two years now. 

After 48 years of marriage, Anna and her husband, Paul, have grown accustomed to disagreeing. "In our family, the men are always more conservative and the women are liberal," Anna says. "It makes for a lot of rousing dinner conversation."

While the gender divide in this election is deep, couples like Dremousises are actually pretty unusual, researchers say. Two http://www.as.miami.edu/personal/cklofstad/12_mate_choice_EHB.pdf" rel="nofollow - recent http://genepi.qimr.edu.au/contents/p/staff/Alford_NGM_JrnlPolitics362-379_2011.pdf" rel="nofollow - studies  suggest that we tend to marry people whose political views are similar to our own, points out Gary Lewandowski, a social psychologist at Monmouth University in West Long Branch, N.J., whose research focuses on, among other things, romantic relationships. In fact, couples are more likely to share political views than they are to share similar levels of education, or personality traits like extroversion or impulsivity, a  http://genepi.qimr.edu.au/contents/p/staff/Alford_NGM_JrnlPolitics362-379_2011.pdf" rel="nofollow - 2011 study  published in the Journal of Politics found. 

Lewandowski explains the people we are attracted to in the first place tend to be very similar to ourselves; as it turns out, the old adage about "opposites attracting" isn't entirely true. "In fact, if there were a golden rule for attraction it would be that partners should be similar," says Lewandowski, who is a contributor to the blog http://www.scienceofrelationships.com/home/2011/11/8/the-politics-of-love.html" rel="nofollow - Science of Relationships .

But while much of that initial attraction is dependent on similarities, it doesn't seem to matter much in long-term relationship quality or stability. "Basically, similarly helps get us together, but is less important for keeping us together," Lewandowski explains.

So what happens when you're living with your political polar opposite? Do sparks fly every time a Democrat or Republican utters the words "I approve this message"? Or does love -- if you'll pardon the expression -- "trump" politics? 

Bryan Knutson, a 38-year-old wealth management advisor from Seattle, says he and his wife, Emilie, held different political views when they met eight years ago, but that didn't stop them from marrying.

"I have always been a pretty extreme fiscal conservative. Socially, I try to moderate but it's not always easy. That has helped to smooth out some differences," he says. 

The Knutsons' working strategy: Agree to disagree. "I'm not sure it's worth it to get into an argument," says Emilie, a 37-year-old stay-at-home mom. "I'm not out to change his opinions. I don't see this as a character flaw with him. He's an adult and has had a lot of time to think things through. He had different life experiences."

Surprisingly, there might be an upside to disagreeing politically. Research in romantic love and long-term relationships suggests that we tend to pursue relationships that help us grow as an individual. "One way to grow is to have a partner who helps you learn new perspectives and shares new knowledge," Lewandowski explains. "If partners hold different political views, there is more potential for them to learn from each other in a way that expands their sense of self."

Now and then, the simple act of listening to each other will even result in someone budging a bit in their stance. "There are lots of reasons why I vote Democrat, but my husband did help open my eyes to some issues," says Emilie. "Like small businesses. He helped me understand the perspective of people who are concerned about higher tax rates."

The key is this: Differences can't be so large that neither person finds any value in the other's perspective. "So if they are wildly different, the relationship may not have started in the first place, or if it did, it will likely have a lot more instability," Lewandowski explains.

For Bryan Knutson, it's all about communication and compromise. As he adorably puts it, "I think that love can overcome politics."

-------------

PEACE

Replies:
Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 7:29pm
Probably not...since I would ideally want someone with the same values as me.

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 7:31pm
I don't think I could do it.

-------------

PEACE

Posted By: Flowing-Ice
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 7:31pm
i probably will. 
on every stance. 

lol. LOL

-------------
And Jean Paul Gaultier and a Hermes bag and four inch tips made of ostrich ;Sharp enough to slit your wrists her lips spread gossip ;Won't say sorry when she offends

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 7:36pm
i can't even really be friends with republicans. they're a different animal.

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Posted By: MissinCali
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 7:41pm
Hell no!

-------------

Posted By: Jr1127
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 7:42pm
Yeah I could not see myself married to a republican.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 7:43pm
I couldn't.

My imaginary husband voting for a republican senator/congress person/president?Sick

Significant other please!

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Posted By: smaison
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

-------------
"I don't give a flying pretzel in skittle rainbow hell"

Posted By: Midwest_Da_Gawd
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 7:46pm
Well....since most Black womens are hopelessly enslaved to the Democratic establishment, the situation in the OP will probably be my fate. Disapprove

-------------
I'm fed up! *flips table*

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 7:47pm
Originally posted by Midwest_Da_Gawd Midwest_Da_Gawd wrote:

Well....since most Black womens are hopelessly enslaved to the Democratic establishment, the situation in the OP will probably be my fate. Disapprove

Cry
Cry

-------------

PEACE

Posted By: lovelife
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 7:48pm
yep, i could marry a ballin' a** republican, but not a poor one. 

-------------
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: val48066
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 7:51pm
couldn't do it. 

i tell my children republican significant others will not be accepted Stern Smile

-------------

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 7:53pm

That's like asking me if I would marry a white man . NO WAY !!LOL

-------------
God will never let you down.
Avi.. Bobby Brown and brother Tommy after singing at MY DAD Funeral. RIP..

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 7:54pm
Originally posted by india100 india100 wrote:

That's like asking me if I would marry a white man . NO WAY !!LOL

LOL

-------------

PEACE

Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 7:57pm
My hubby intially was a republican when we first married.  Even voted for Bush.  He has since repented and left the dark side, lol.

I still tease him for his bush vote.

-------------
Everyone has a role in life. We all can't be CEO's somebody gotta take the orders at Mickey D's & the KFC's -Jewelsync

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 7:57pm

So wait a min you are a republican??? ConfusedShockedStern SmileErmmWackoThumbs Down <------ This what is what I'm thinking!!!

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by lovelife lovelife wrote:

Most of them are gay or crazy!! lol

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Jr1127 Jr1127 wrote:

So wait a min you are a republican??? ConfusedShockedStern SmileErmmWackoThumbs Down <------ This what is what I'm thinking!!!

Independent

-------------

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 7:59pm
Nope. My future hubby is gonna be a democrat like me. Even if he has republican views, I'll make him vote for a Democrat LOLStern Smile

-------------
yo

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:02pm

Independent
Oh!!!!

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:05pm

Most of them are gay or crazy!! lol

i could be a beard LOL

-------------

Posted By: babyk94
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:07pm

lol Tongue

Posted By: Starrygurl
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:08pm
I have no party(Np) really, but my so called maybe future so/crushEmbarrassed has no party or views. So maybe, but no Republican.

Posted By: smaison
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:12pm
i'm an independent and would still not date a republican. 

-------------
"I don't give a flying pretzel in skittle rainbow hell"

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:17pm
I dated a republican....now he is a libertarian.....even worse. But he is not even voting this election since. He doesn't like either candidates. smh.

-------------
You can't just walk in with a huge banana and expect everything to be peaches.

If you no know me brotha, I no like wahala.

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by keepgrowing keepgrowing wrote:

I dated a republican....now he is a libertarian.....even worse. But he is not even voting this election since. He doesn't like either candidates. smh.
So is a libertarian is it the same as Independent???

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:24pm
i don't necessarily like liberals. but i dont like conservatives either
i don't like those third party-ers much either. 
i don't like fundamentalist anything. 
but i don't like hypocrites either.
but i really hate straight ticket people

lol. political parties are the least of my worries. 

-------------
And Jean Paul Gaultier and a Hermes bag and four inch tips made of ostrich ;Sharp enough to slit your wrists her lips spread gossip ;Won't say sorry when she offends

Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:25pm
An Independent fool most of the times. 

-------------
My mind explodes

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:27pm
I guess I'm independent.

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:28pm
you're not really independent if you usually vote for democrats, and line up on their issues. lol. 

-------------

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:28pm

not all of usWinkTongue

-------------
Women, midwest, WO-MEN. I know you're stunted in height but I didn't know that your shortcomings extended to your brain function - ImThatDiva

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:31pm
Originally posted by Flowing-Ice Flowing-Ice wrote:

you're not really independent if you usually vote for democrats, and line up on their issues. lol. 

What if I'm not even registered to vote?

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:32pm
Idk i doubt it.
Me and my guy have very different views on alot of things.
He's not R but he's alot more conservative than I am

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by f8dagrate f8dagrate wrote:

not all of usWinkTongue

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:33pm
I'm tryna be a sovereign citizen outchea. 

Posted By: SpunkiBrewsta
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:36pm
i think i could for sure Smile

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:36pm

Libertarians are like Republicans on crack or bath salts. They make Republicans seem nice. They believe in no to low government control and believe all social programs established by the government are useless. Basically they want to own their businesses, practice corrupt policies and have no one say ish about it. It fits his personality perfectly.

From his standpoint, he came to America on his own with nada help from anyone so it made him really hard. But he is on his way to being rich though cause....he is really good at playing the system that he loathes! oh the irony smh. 

I do not know why caring for the greater good of society is just a horrible concept. Confused

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:38pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

What if I'm not even registered to vote?

if you were registered, who would you be consistently vote for? thats your answer. 

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:38pm

negro...no it won't. you'll be alone with your momma as company. keep dreaming up though.

-------------

Posted By: laceyfront
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:41pm
http://nowaygirl.com/photos/romney-sign-fail/attachment/romneysignfail/" rel="nofollow">Romney Sign Fail

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:41pm
I don't agree with that definition of libertarianism

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:44pm

i like the way that sounds...until u realize them niccas is cray

-------------

Posted By: babyk94
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:44pm
LOL LOL at that pic

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:45pm

negro...no it won't. you'll be alone with your momma as company. keep dreaming up though.

-------------

Posted By: f8dagrate
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:45pm

not all of usWinkTongue

lol i love this gif .. but what receipt? i haven't voted yet? and when i do im not telling yall anyways humph it's privateEmbarrassed

-------------
Women, midwest, WO-MEN. I know you're stunted in height but I didn't know that your shortcomings extended to your brain function - ImThatDiva

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:46pm
True but I don't like how we are atomatically inducted into this as soon as we are born.

Why?

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:47pm
Most of the independents that I encounter seem to have more of a liberal standpoint (with MM being an exception of course Ermm) and liberals tend to vote according to issues not class parties. 

I am a straight up democrat.

-------------

Posted By: Tbaby
Why is there a Romney banner in this thread?ConfusedLOL

-------------
Everyone has a role in life. We all can't be CEO's somebody gotta take the orders at Mickey D's & the KFC's -Jewelsync

i like the way that sounds...until u realize them niccas is cray

Crazier than a Betsy bug. 

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

I don't agree with that definition of libertarianism

Please correct me if I'm wrong. That is how he defined it for me when he told me it. I'm sure my definition is tainted by my bias. 

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:48pm
I use to think I was an independent when it came to politics.LOL

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:50pm
Originally posted by Tbaby Tbaby wrote:

Why is there a Romney banner in this thread?ConfusedLOL

The Lord works in mysterious ways. Geek

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:52pm

hehehehe.LOL

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:53pm
those ron paul mfers are some crazy ass people. they're all like, f*ck the system. lol. 

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:54pm
This is the bare bones definition and how I see little l's : One who advocates maximizing individual rights and minimizing the role of the state.

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:54pm
Epitome, stop picking on MM.

He and Nita are going to get married and make some cute basement babies. You just wait.Approve

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:55pm
I don't think it's necessarily crazy though the state plays a major role in our lives starting even before birth.
Not even something you can choose to be apart of or not.
It's automatic without question and refusal results in consequences.

I don't get it but meh

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:56pm

those ron paul mfers are some crazy ass people. they're all like, f*ck the system. lol. 

LMAO FOH.

Ron Paul was spittin' that hot fiyah.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:58pm
i'm not saying he's not right in some cases. 
i'm just saying his methods are crazy as f*ck. 

he really is saying, f*ck the system. 

-------------

Posted By: blaquefoxx
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 8:58pm

Realest ish said in here...

-------------

Posted By: purple.chuckz
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 9:07pm

Libertarians are Republicans who like to smoke weed.

-------------
Women are not the problem. they are the solution.

Posted By: TokyoRose
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 9:26pm
It works for my parents.  My mom is a Republican and my dad is a Democrat.  They never talk about politics, though.  When the topic comes up, dad always swears he didn't marry her when she was like that.

Since Democrats and Republicans run the spectrum when it comes to beliefs, it would really depend on what his position was in terms of things like reproductive rights, equal pay for equal work and other issues.  If he is 100% anti-abortion and agrees with Akin about the pseudo-science of rape, then I would have to show the guy the door.

-------------
When common sense fails, assume I am taking the piss and being sarcastic.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Epitome, stop picking on MM.

He and Nita are going to get married and make some cute basement babies. You just wait.Approve

i will be there....throwing shade and sipping tea

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 9:31pm
I'm with someone who is 100 percent against abortion.
I'm pro choice for other ppl but I would never abort and I feel like it is wrong.

But my choice side comes out when we get into debates.
I tell him he needs to take his penis and shut up.

We get into it over stuff but I wouldn't leave him for it.
It's fun

-------------
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 9:35pm
no.  i could not.

-------------
you say i need some time to meditate...naaaaah b*tch i'm fly! i need time to levitate... ~yeezy

dacoldesteva

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by TokyoRose TokyoRose wrote:

It works for my parents.  My mom is a Republican and my dad is a Democrat.  They never talk about politics, though.  When the topic comes up, dad always swears he didn't marry her when she was like that.

Since Democrats and Republicans run the spectrum when it comes to beliefs, it would really depend on what his position was in terms of things like reproductive rights, equal pay for equal work and other issues.  If he is 100% anti-abortion and agrees with Akin about the pseudo-science of rape, then I would have to show the guy the door.
I remember read were you said that both you have a different view on religion too. What a good relationship that they have to respect each other view.

Posted By: PeacefulOne
Date Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 1:17pm
My s/o is republican. He is  liberal morally, and I am conservative fiscally. It works because we do agree on some things: abortion should be legal,  gays should be able to marry, guns are a constitutional right.
Lower taxes. Separation of church and state.

Last election he congratulated me and gave me flowers.Heart
When he criticizes Obama, I say "shut up you voted for Dubbya"Angry
Every election he buys 5000 rounds of ammunition, because he thinks guns are gonna be banned.Wacko
He's pissed cause his taxes went up. Disapprove
He wants to stop illegal immigration and lock the borders.Ouch
He's mad that Obama is "forcing" him to buy medical insurance.Hug

We have some heated debates, and he tells me I make him think.
I will never admit to him that he makes me think too.

He is a good person, and politics is not the most important thing in a relationship.  Neither is religion. Or race.

Posted By: Afrocentchic
Date Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 1:26pm
my exfiance is a black republican....any time I talk to him about anything in the community he sounds like a sterotypical conservative repub.

"millionares are rich because they earned it."
"the black community is in dispair because of laziness"
"they need to end welfare, medicade etc"

and don't get me started about his thoughts on women in general.

There is no way in hell we could be together now. Nope. Do not want. My blood pressure goes up everytime the rhetoric starts.

-------------
For Black women as well as Black men, it is axiomatic that if we do not define ourselves for ourselves, we will be defined by others --for their use and to our detriment. - Audre Lord

Date Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3">Realest ish said in here...

Can anyone explain this to me? Some crazy guy on the bus was talking about it last year, but he was crazy, so I didn't pay him much attention.

-------------

Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 1:33pm
Wow I could not live with that at all. Because they earned it? What about poor people? Did they deserve to be poor? Angry

Posted By: Afrocentchic
Date Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by Prazol60 Prazol60 wrote:

Wow I could not live with that at all. Because they earned it? What about poor people? Did they deserve to be poor? Angry
in his mind, and people like him yes. they throw around statements like " people need to pull themselves up by their bootstraps." etc.  So he feels as though the poor can pull themselves up but don't.
Stern Smile

The irony is his mother was on foodstamps after his parents divorced. And while he did go on to get his master's degree he was a full time hustler for a period of his life. He used federal aid to go to school. 

Which is where I am baffled. Now that a brother has gotten over, it's suddenly cool to cut the bootstraps that weren't even that great to begin with, out from those that currently need it. Eff that son!

-------------
For Black women as well as Black men, it is axiomatic that if we do not define ourselves for ourselves, we will be defined by others --for their use and to our detriment. - Audre Lord

Posted By: csungrl09
Date Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 2:01pm
Nope. I can barely stand being friends with republicans, never mind sleeping with one!!! No thank you

-------------
Even with a low LSAT, i'm a hot commodity.

Posted By: csungrl09
Date Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 2:04pm
Reminds me of james carville, the democratic strategist, he is married to a woman who is very active in the republican party. Yuck.

-------------
Even with a low LSAT, i'm a hot commodity.

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 3:25pm

not all of usWinkTongue

lmaoLOLDead

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 3:34pm

Originally posted by blaquefoxx blaquefoxx wrote:

<font face="Georgia, Times New Roman, Times, serif" size="3">Realest ish said in here...

Can anyone explain this to me? Some crazy guy on the bus was talking about it last year, but he was crazy, so I didn't pay him much attention.

The sovereign citizen movement claims that a person has the right under http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Common_law" rel="nofollow - - right wing causes as the http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Tax_protester" rel="nofollow - - militia movement in the http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/United_States" rel="nofollow - - freeman on the land is a pseudolegal term assumed as a title by some would-be sovereigns, deriving from a complex and not-easily-explained http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theory" rel="nofollow - - stateless people exist in the world (most in permanent diplomatic limbo due to lack of any citizenship), and in the United States a few have somewhat arcane legal status allowing them to be citizens of their place of residence (currently recognized only in American Samoa and Swains Island) but not the U.S. at large, the idea that one can renounce one's citizenship in order to evade the laws of the land is not a right recognized in most countries. (U.S. courts generally consider this argument http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Frivolous" rel="nofollow -

Contents

[ http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Sovereign_citizen#" rel="nofollow - http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Sovereign_citizen#Scams" rel="nofollow - - - 1 - Scams
  • http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Sovereign_citizen#Political_sociology" rel="nofollow - - - 2 - Political sociology
  • http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Sovereign_citizen#See_also" rel="nofollow - - - 3 - See also
  • http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Sovereign_citizen#External_links" rel="nofollow - - - 4 - External links
  • http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Sovereign_citizen#Footnotes" rel="nofollow - - - 5 - Footnotes
  • [ http://rationalwiki.org/w/index.php?title=Sovereign_citizen&action=edit&section=1" rel="nofollow - Scams

This claim is also associated with a few bizarre "debt elimination" scams which hold that if somebody files all the right paperwork with the government declaring themselves a sovereign citizen, they then have access to unlimited funds from the U.S. Treasury to pay off all their mortgages and other debts, similar to the theories of the http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Redemption_movement" rel="nofollow - - Social Security Act established accounts at the U.S. Treasury for every American citizen and that declaring oneself a "sovereign citizen" gives one the legal right to issue "sight drafts" or "bills of exchange" which draw on your personal U.S. Treasury Account to pay off debts. This is not true, and those who have fallen for this scam have found the only person who gained access to any funds as a result was the scammer who charged them money to learn about this bizarre debt elimination method at his seminar.

An indication of the intellectual limitations for many members of the movement is indicated by the response of a Texas motorist to a December 4, 2008 traffic stop. "I am Texas Republican sovereignty. I do not recognize this as a legal traffic stop." He has been reported to have said this. http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Sovereign_citizen#cite_note-0" rel="nofollow - [ http://rationalwiki.org/w/index.php?title=Sovereign_citizen&action=edit&section=2" rel="nofollow - Political sociology

The sovereign citizen movement appears to be a direct descendant of the http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Posse_Comitatus_%28organization%29" rel="nofollow - http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Sovereign_citizen#cite_note-1" rel="nofollow - http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Sovereign_citizen#cite_note-2" rel="nofollow - http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Sovereign_citizen#cite_note-3" rel="nofollow - http://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Sovereign_citizen#cite_note-4" rel="nofollow -

Date Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 3:47pm
    Could you have provided a more slanted article lol.

-------------
    Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: pinkextra
    Date Posted: Nov 06 2012 at 4:11pm

Well you can always get you a white "womanz".  I'm sure she'll also be more forgiving of your midget stature!!Wink

-------------
    "I think my mother is a Coon. **not literally, but from what I see you guys say about "coons", she acts very similar."        -   Kimmy90

Date Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 2:10pm
    Originally posted by csungrl09 csungrl09 wrote:

Reminds me of james carville, the democratic strategist, he is married to a woman who is very active in the republican party. Yuck.

that's exactly who I was thinking of, Carville and Matalin(sp?). They seem to make it work well. And have made $ off it LOL

-------------

PEACE

Posted By: BeatriceBean
    Date Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 2:15pm
    My husband is a Libertarian (registered as an independent), and I'm a Democrat. He SAYS that he voted for Obama twice but I wouldn't be surprised if he wrote in Ron Paul Stern Smile He was popping bottles last night though.

Things get heated but we love each other all the same. We have some very lively debates.

-------------
    Life is good!

Date Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 2:21pm
     I quizzed hub on how he voted on everything when he got home. lol

-------------

PEACE

Posted By: ManeMessDeux
    Date Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 3:13pm
    My boyfriend is a staunch Republican...

We joke that we're the reverse of James Carville & Mary Matalin.

Unfortunately, he is taking this election loss extremely hard saying things like "We just witnessed the death of our country".

I'm giving him a few more days of mourning and letting him rant so he can get it out of his system...

After day 3 hopefully he'll realize that the earth is still spinning and the sun still rises.

Would it be easier in certain situations to be with someone with the same political ideology as me?

Sure... But I fell in love with him... not his politics.

Date Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 3:16pm
    Originally posted by ManeMessDeux ManeMessDeux wrote:

Unfortunately, he is taking this election loss extremely hard saying things like "We just witnessed the death of our country".

I'm giving him a few more days of mourning and letting him rant so he can get it out of his system...

After day 3 hopefully he'll realize that the earth is still spinning and the sun still rises.

Would it be easier in certain situations to be with someone with the same political ideology as me?

For real doe?!

-------------
    Life is good!

Posted By: ManeMessDeux
    Date Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 3:21pm
    Originally posted by BeatriceBean BeatriceBean wrote:

Originally posted by ManeMessDeux ManeMessDeux wrote:

For real doe?!

Sadly, he feels that Obama allowed Iran to arm themselves with nuclear weapons and he believes Obamacare will bankrupt the country.

I tried to reason with him about the checks and balances system but then he threw out Executive Orders that Obama could use to further his "agenda"... Yeah, my boyfriend's a salty Republican right now... Hopefully it eases up in a few days.

Date Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 3:23pm
    I've been dealing with some salty repubs today too.

-------------

PEACE

Date Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 3:26pm
    Originally posted by PurpleHaze PurpleHaze wrote:

Giiiiirrrrllllll

-------------
    Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: zsazsa
    Date Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 3:28pm

lol isn't that the truth? I can't even talk to a conservative. I get all funny and sh*t. God I hate David Cameron and his cronies. 

Date Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 3:29pm
    Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Giiiiirrrrllllll

Mmm-hmmm, thought I was at a funeral in my European literature course this morning.

My TA and I strutted in on "Teach me How to Dougie" and all we got was Stern Smile

-------------
    Life is good!

Date Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 3:32pm
    lol

-------------

PEACE

Posted By: PeacefulOne
    Date Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 4:54pm

EXTRA salty at my house. S/O is walking around like his best dog died.  LOL

Date Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 4:56pm
    LOL
    tell him it's ok. Like they say, 'we/Dems survived Bush...'

-------------

PEACE

Posted By: impervious99
    Date Posted: Nov 07 2012 at 10:10pm
    Meh..no big deal to me, as long as it's not something that affects how we do things as a whole.....but obviously like minded thoughts on political stances make the better and stable choice..

Print Page | Close Window