Print Page | Close Window

DID YOU GET YOUR BoA SETTLEMENT?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=350457
Printed Date: Oct 19 2017 at 12:18pm

Topic: DID YOU GET YOUR BoA SETTLEMENT?
Posted By: EPITOME
Subject: DID YOU GET YOUR BoA SETTLEMENT?
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 12:27pm
I got like $2. someone on my fb said he got $75. 

here's why:

Bank Of America Overdraft Lawsuit: Judge Approves $410 Million Settlement

Bank Of America Overdraft Suit

http://reddit.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.com%2F2011%2F11%2F07%2Fbank-of-america-overdraft_n_1079924.html&title=Bank+Of+America+Overdraft+Lawsuit%3A+Judge+Approves+%24410+Million+Settlement" rel="nofollow - http://www.stumbleupon.com/submit?url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.huffingtonpost.com%2F2011%2F11%2F07%2Fbank-of-america-overdraft_n_1079924.html&title=Bank+Of+America+Overdraft+Lawsuit%3A+Judge+Approves+%24410+Million+Settlement" rel="nofollow -

MIAMI — A federal judge on Monday gave final approval to a $410 million settlement in a class-action lawsuit affecting more than 13 million Bank of America customers who had debit card overdrafts during the past decade.

Senior U.S. District Judge James Lawrence King said the agreement was fair and reasonable, even though it drew criticism from some customers because they would only receive a fraction of what they paid in overdraft fees. The fees were usually $35 per occurrence.

"It's really undisputed that this is one of the largest settlements ever in a consumer case," said Aaron Podhurst, a lead attorney for the customer class.

The settlement became final a week after Charlotte, N.C.-based Bank of America backed off a plan to charge a $5 monthly fee for debit-card purchases. The outcry prompted other major banks, including JPMorgan Chase & Co. and Wells Fargo & Co., to cancel trial tests of their own debit card fees.

Bank attorney Laurence Hutt said 13.2 million Bank of America customers who had debit cards between January 2001 and May 2011 would get some payment. Those who still have accounts would get an automatic credit and the others would get a check mailed to them. No one would have to take any action or fill out any paperwork.

Barry Himmelstein, an attorney for customers who objected to the deal, said he calculated that the bank actually raked in $4.5 billion through the overdraft fees and was repaying less than 10 percent. He said the average customer in the case had $300 in overdraft fees, making them eligible for a $27 award – less than one overdraft charge – from the lawsuit.

"It's $4.5 billion that's gone missing from people's accounts," Himmelstein said.

Hutt said only 46 customers filed formal objections to the settlement and 350 decided to opt out, meaning they could take separate legal action on their own.

"It's very easy for people to say on the sidelines, `I could do better,'" Hutt said. "Never is a settlement at 100 percent of what somebody thinks they can receive at trial. It's always a compromise."

Customers will receive a minimum of 9 percent of the fees they paid through the settlement, Hutt added. The bank has already paid the money into an escrow account.

The lawsuit claimed that Bank of America processed its debit card transactions in the order of highest to lowest dollar amount so it could maximize the overdraft fees customers paid. An overdraft occurs when the account doesn't have enough money in it to cover a debit card transaction. Similar lawsuits have been filed against more than 30 other banks.

Despite the settlement, Bank of America insists there was nothing improper about the processing sequence. New regulations enacted following the recent financial crisis prohibit banks from charging overdraft fees on debit cards without first getting customer permission.

Many of the objections concerned the fees for the team of class-action attorneys, which would amount to about $123 million. Lawyers for people opposed to the settlement said that amount should be cut down by at least $50 million, with the money going back to the wronged customers.

"The best use is to provide compensation to the class members," said Elliott Kula, who represents some of the objectors.

But King sided with the plaintiffs' attorneys, noting that they spent thousands of hours on the case and achieved "a superb result" for the customers.

"I don't see anything about this case that's simple or garden variety," the judge said.

Another complaint concerned missing records for customers from 2001 through 2003, which has made them impossible to identify. The settlement will take about 14 percent of the total – representing an estimate for the fees paid by those customers – and put the money into nonprofit financial literacy programs.

In addition, the 32 original named plaintiffs who represented the larger class will get bonuses of up to $5,000 each, $2,500 each if both plaintiffs are a married couple.

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Replies:
Posted By: **Sk!TtLeS B**
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 12:34pm
BOA stays fcking up. Between stuff like this and being sued by the Justice Department, Im surprised people still use BOA for anything. 

-------------
Im making a political statement every time I make my ass clap - Ru Paul

Posted By: nycdiva357
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 12:39pm
lmao...interesting.
i closed my BoA account when i graduated college.

i was consider re-opening b/c chase aint the move in ....
but yeah ill hold that.

-------------
He follows what I'm saying.. I aint gotta twitter shyt.

Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 12:45pm
Originally posted by **Sk!TtLeS B** **Sk!TtLeS B** wrote:

BOA stays fcking up. Between stuff like this and being sued by the Justice Department, Im surprised people still use BOA for anything. 

sigh it's true. i have it bc there are so many branches.

-------------

Posted By: MinnyMiss16
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 1:21pm
Wait, so how do I get my money?

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 1:29pm
Yeah...I used to have BofA.  They really started to suck when they moved to the east coast.  I don't understand how come it's so hard to process your debits and credits in the order that they come.   They know they were scammin'.   I remember one day waiting in line listening to a lady in the bank cursing them out because they waited to credit some moneys she deposited over a week before. She made the deposit (over a week before) to cover a series of debits and they fucced her... hit her $30 dollars for every transaction so she ended up paying a couple of hundred dollars in fees alone....and she had her statement to prove it. They tryna tell her that there was nothing they could do.   I she ended up speaking to the branch manager....tellin' them she was gone sue and all kinds of thing.  They ended up refunding her the overdraft fees and she closed her account.

Shady these banks are.

-------------
Chris and Koochie split! - Mrshairdo

Sometimes when sh*t happens...you say fucc - Cyndi Lauper

let's look death in the face and say "whatever man". -Hurley.

Posted By: smaison
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 1:35pm
I've never overdraft on my account so I didn't think I count but I got 1.50

-------------
"I don't give a flying pretzel in skittle rainbow hell"

Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 1:37pm
Originally posted by MinnyMiss16 MinnyMiss16 wrote:

it's just a deposit

-------------

Posted By: nikietc
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 1:38pm
I had boa for a year or two in college because it was the only major bank around campus at that time. I think everybody hated them. I doubt they'll actually hunt me down to mail me a dollar or two settlement.

-------------
-----
"Shoes are important things for a woman. Good shoes will take you to good places." ~Min Seo Hyun, Boys Over Flowers

Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

Yeah...I used to have BofA.  They really started to suck when they moved to the east coast.  I don't understand how come it's so hard to process your debits and credits in the order that they come.   They know they were scammin'.   I remember one day waiting in line listening to a lady in the bank cursing them out because they waited to credit some moneys she deposited over a week before. She made the deposit (over a week before) to cover a series of debits and they fucced her... hit her $30 dollars for every transaction so she ended up paying a couple of hundred dollars in fees alone....and she had her statement to prove it. They tryna tell her that there was nothing they could do.   I she ended up speaking to the branch manager....tellin' them she was gone sue and all kinds of thing.  They ended up refunding her the overdraft fees and she closed her account.

Shady these banks are.

BoA learned me good with that bullsh*t in college. I would make a deposit and then go buy things or i would make a return, and think bc i made a return first, it was processed before my purchases.

-------------

Posted By: femmefatale85
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 1:39pm
Didn't Wells Fargo have to do the same?

Posted By: TexturizedDiva
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 1:41pm
Credit Unions FTW.

Posted By: Bunnyahh
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 1:43pm
Hey, aren't you in the DMV area?  If it isn't to far out of ur way, you might wanna attend this its free or $10
http://baisdenlive.net/events/election-watch-party-in-baltimore/" rel="nofollow - http://baisdenlive.net/events/election-watch-party-in-baltimore/

Hey Family! Join Michael Baisden, George Willborn and Magic 95.9 for the 2012 Presidential Election Watch Party in Baltimore Presented By Eddie Brown’s “Beating The Odds”! Also joining us: recording artist Alex Boyd, Melanie Fiona, Anthony David and Maysa! We’ll also do Battle of the Sexes, Battle of the DJ’s and Free books & DVD’s for everyone!

http://api.ning.com/files/XsdzssQIml2zj7d8v1-00sxOGBcizYyIh3lzU8XNVUfhETkkPKTON5iJoI85svsioO0NO11yBNSjikmpjuJmhzS-H-AmBEjC/2012_election300x225.jpg" rel="nofollow"> DATE: November 6, 2012

TIME: Time: Doors open at 6:00pm

ADDRESS: 2201 Argonne Dr., Baltimore, MD 21251

TICKETS ON SALE NOW!

COST: Advance Reserved Seats on the floor level only $10 [limited seats available]

General Admission upper level seats FREE [on day of event / first come first seated]

BY PHONE: 410-547-SEAT

AND AT THE MORGAN STATE UNIVERSITY / MURPHY FINE ARTS CENTER BOX OFFICE

ONLINE: http://www.ticketmaster.com/Michael-Baisden-tickets/artist/1126403" rel="nofollow - http://www.ticketmaster.com/Michael-Baisden-tickets/artist/1126403

*** DON’T FORGET TO VOTE FIRST! ***

-------------
Hi BHM!! Lovely day I'm having. How about you?

Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 1:43pm
Hey, aren't you in the DMV area?  If it isn't to far out of ur way, you might wanna attend this its free or $10
http://baisdenlive.net/events/election-watch-party-in-baltimore/" rel="nofollow - http://baisdenlive.net/events/election-watch-party-in-baltimore/

Hey Family! Join Michael Baisden, George Willborn and Magic 95.9 for the 2012 Presidential Election Watch Party in Baltimore Presented By Eddie Brown’s “Beating The Odds”! Also joining us: recording artist Alex Boyd, Melanie Fiona, Anthony David and Maysa! We’ll also do Battle of the Sexes, Battle of the DJ’s and Free books & DVD’s for everyone!

http://api.ning.com/files/XsdzssQIml2zj7d8v1-00sxOGBcizYyIh3lzU8XNVUfhETkkPKTON5iJoI85svsioO0NO11yBNSjikmpjuJmhzS-H-AmBEjC/2012_election300x225.jpg" rel="nofollow"> DATE: November 6, 2012

TIME: Time: Doors open at 6:00pm

ADDRESS: 2201 Argonne Dr., Baltimore, MD 21251

TICKETS ON SALE NOW!

COST: Advance Reserved Seats on the floor level only $10 [limited seats available]

General Admission upper level seats FREE [on day of event / first come first seated]

BY PHONE: 410-547-SEAT

AND AT THE MORGAN STATE UNIVERSITY / MURPHY FINE ARTS CENTER BOX OFFICE

ONLINE: http://www.ticketmaster.com/Michael-Baisden-tickets/artist/1126403" rel="nofollow - http://www.ticketmaster.com/Michael-Baisden-tickets/artist/1126403

*** DON’T FORGET TO VOTE FIRST! ***

-------------

Posted By: lovelife
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 1:50pm
only got $2 Ermm could have at least made it $5 LOL

-------------
http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: Harmonii
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 2:04pm
I stick with my credit union. Also got a wachovia/wells acct but so far so good.

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 2:05pm
Clap

i always hated that bank.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 2:08pm
I like ing direct, wells fargo & chase.

-------------

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 2:11pm
Bunny, call Baltimore the DMV area again and I'm drivin' to upstate NY to fight you.

Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by Bunnyahh Bunnyahh wrote:

Wells Fargo can kiss the underside of my ass. Chase is cool, but they be asking far too many questions about what I do with my money. Far too many of the same damn questions. 

I'd do checking with ING Direct if they had more atms. I enjoy their savings accounts. 

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Bunny, call Baltimore the DMV area again and I'm drivin' to upstate NY to fight you.
ermagehrd!! I eloorlddLOL
ps, I live in downstate NYBig smile

-------------

Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by TexturizedDiva TexturizedDiva wrote:

Credit Unions FTW.

Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 2:31pm
I didn't get shat.

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 2:32pm
credit unions have overdrafts also, some higher then bank of America. bank of america was sued because they would reorder overdrafts in such an order to maximize fees. 

Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 2:34pm

Wells Fargo can kiss the underside of my ass. Chase is cool, but they be asking far too many questions about what I do with my money. Far too many of the same damn questions. 

I'd do checking with ING Direct if they had more atms. I enjoy their savings accounts. 

Chase can kiss my black ass. I have a student account that I usually use to set aside money to save and for the past couple of months if I have anything less than $100 in my account they charge me a $6 fee with some B.S. about I didn't have $5000+ or make a direct deposit for that month. B.S. since I'm not even supposed to be charged a monthly fee at all since I have a student account. I notice that if I have anything over $100 in the account then they don't charge me that fee.

Posted By: bunzaveli
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 2:35pm
Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

I didn't get shat.
im gonna go to marshalls and buy me some jean shorts

CHKING ACCT OVERDRAFT SETTLEMENT CREDIT activity type credit status type icon cleared Cleared. Select to mark activity type credit 50.92 CHKING ACCT OVERDRAFT SETTLEMENT CREDIT as reconciled 50.92 22546.23

Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 2:37pm
Nevermind I lied. I just checked my account I got $2.55 on the 2nd. SMH

Posted By: MinnyMiss16
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

Originally posted by MinnyMiss16 MinnyMiss16 wrote:

it's just a deposit

A deposit into my checkings or savings? And when should it have been made ? Because I have had many overdrafts, but I dont see any extra money.

Posted By: oh_so_moody
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 2:51pm
And the people who had BoA and no longer have it. I've moved to three different states since I closed my acct with them after it was phished.

How I get it since my address changed? Is there a website to see what we are due?

-------------
She hurt feelings, she break hearts
She stay quiet, she play smart
She take pride, in going out
Getting hollered at, and saying nah....

Posted By: TexturizedDiva
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 2:54pm
Even better yet, PerkStreet for the win.

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 3:24pm
I've been with them for like 20 years now (since they came to the ECoast). . I know many people don't like them but  we can't complain.

-------------

PEACE

Posted By: dreamz
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 3:28pm
no. but i did get my classmates.com settlement on wednesday.

$3.93.  CHA-CHING!!!Big smile

-------------
specs: handmade 8" kinky curly upart wig. wefts purchased from http://www.kinkycurlyyaki.com

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 3:34pm
^^what was that for?

-------------

PEACE

Posted By: csungrl09
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 3:55pm

Originally posted by newdiva1 newdiva1 wrote:

Shady these banks are.

BoA learned me good with that bullsh*t in college. I would make a deposit and then go buy things or i would make a return, and think bc i made a return first, it was processed before my purchases.

all banks do this, so how can we start a class action suit against the rest of these mofos!?!

chase just did this to me two weeks ago.

-------------
Even with a low LSAT, i'm a hot commodity.

Posted By: csungrl09
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 3:55pm
Originally posted by dreamz dreamz wrote:

no. but i did get my classmates.com settlement on wednesday.

$3.93.  CHA-CHING!!!Big smile

what was that about?

-------------
Even with a low LSAT, i'm a hot commodity.

Posted By: Nijjah25
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 4:24pm
i got 2.23 

-------------
BIG NOSE .... BIG LIPS....
BUDDA BUP BUP BUHHHHH IM LOVING IT

Posted By: MissAbena
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 4:29pm
I got $58.12

Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 5:04pm
Originally posted by niecy niecy wrote:

Chase can kiss my black ass. I have a student account that I usually use to set aside money to save and for the past couple of months if I have anything less than $100 in my account they charge me a $6 fee with some B.S. about I didn't have $5000+ or make a direct deposit for that month. B.S. since I'm not even supposed to be charged a monthly fee at all since I have a student account. I notice that if I have anything over $100 in the account then they don't charge me that fee.

They might've changed your account settings. I have a student account and Im routinely under $100, and Im never charged. However, I just had them change my settings so I can make international purchases, so Im anticipating some bullsh*tery.

-------------

Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 7:15pm

sigh it's true. i have it bc there are so many branches.
Likewise.

-------------
My mind explodes

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 7:23pm
PNC >

-------------
yo

Posted By: stardaqueenb23
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 7:27pm
I got $15.74 they fucced me real good one day when my DH transferred me money so I am not surprised.

Posted By: stardaqueenb23
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 7:43pm

Wells Fargo sucks they made a 350 dollar mistake on my account that mysteriously showed back up in my account 3 months later.I closed that account the next day.

Posted By: Luv2Teach
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 8:02pm
Wells Fargo and BoA can kiss my glutes!

BoA use to hit me for overdrafts in college alllllllll the time saying that they didn't process debits by when they receive them, but by the largest to the lowest amounts then any deposits are credited last. And this came from a bank managers own mouth.

Wells Fargo used to ALWAYS put holds on my deposit. They put a 3 day hold on my payroll check that was through THEIR FREAKIN' BANK!! The cashier then advised me to always cash the check, and then deposit the cash instead. 

I love my credit union but I do need to find a bank with several branches because I travel a lot. 

-------------
Jan. 1, 2012-----227
Jan. 15, 2012----222

Posted By: ShadyLady
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 10:07pm
I got $104.

I don't even think I've ever overdrafted that much, and if I did, it was at least 3-4 years ago.

They've screwed me over in other ways tho, so I'm taking it as a blessing and keeping it moving.

Posted By: Gumdrop92
Date Posted: Nov 04 2012 at 11:39pm
Oh wow, I got $15.13

-------------
"A miracle is another name for hard work," -Kang Tae Joon 아름다운 그대에게
SL to BSL in 2012

Posted By: sweet_n_stuff04
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 12:10am
USAA is a branch from BoA but I still get zero dollars Angry

I want some extra money too Cry

-------------
(√-1) (2^3) (Σ ) (π)...and it was good!

Fact: If you eat something and nobody sees you eat it - it has no calories.

Posted By: r0ck_starr
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 10:46am
I dropped BofA my second year of college. Never looked back.

Posted By: StylingArabella
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 4:37pm
LOL...Class Action Lawsuits are the biggest rip off! 

Posted By: Starrygurl
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 4:40pm
ShockedReally, yes a few times they charged me. I don't know I hope so. No wonder they kept sending me mail. I need to find a  good credit union. If they don't send me nothing I am going to be real piss.

Print Page | Close Window