Print Page | Close Window

What did your Parents pay for?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=350419
Printed Date: Jan 22 2018 at 1:05pm

Topic: What did your Parents pay for?
Posted By: Alias_Avi
Subject: What did your Parents pay for?
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 8:08am
Did your Parents pay for...

...your first car?

...clothes, accessories, etc, while in college?

...your way through college?
        >loans, food cost, etc?

...anything I haven't mentioned? Geek

-------------
Change only arrives at the sense of urgency weather through external or internal forces, being in a state of comfort seldom brings change.

Replies:
Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 8:11am
Everything

I've worked and interned to save and stuff and to have fun.

-------------
Never send to know for whom the bells tolls; it tolls for thee
Donne

Havmercy Dez Bryant

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 8:11am
Nothing lol

Posted By: iSMILE13
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 8:12am
They paid for my first and second car (current car)

Books my 1st year in school

Currently pay my car insurance

I'm spoiled and I love it! I love my mommy and daddy

(I'm sure they would have paid for more in college but my refund checks were enough to live off of)

Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 8:16am
i am jealous

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m4g9cqjA1y1r89sf1.gif
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Everything

I've worked and interned to save and stuff and to have fun.

Posted By: Gkisses
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 8:18am
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

...your first car?They paid 75% I paid 25%

...clothes, accessories, etc, while in college? Nah they took care of books everything else was covered by my grant & scholarships

>loans, food cost, etc? No, However if I asked it would be provided. Every once in awhile I will recieve cash from them for no reason but more often I send stuff their way ....just because.

...anything I haven't mentioned? Geek Theres a ton of stuff my folks have done for me so its hard to recall it all... thats why i feel so lucky to have them..they are the bestest

-------------

Posted By: missdaniella
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 8:20am
My car insurance but they too controlling so this is going to be stopped
My college tuition

Posted By: khivey
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 8:22am
Only a portion of my first and second semester of college. I had a work study job and a part time job at Tower Video in Greenwich Village.
My last few years of college I was back in my hometown and I worked full time and went to school full time..how I did it? I don't know, but I made it happen and paid for it on my own with the help of school grants and federal loans.

If I needed help here or there with a bill or some extra money they were willing to give but that was rarely, because I hated asking. My mother didn't work and my father took care of everyone outside of the immediate family as well, so I would usually ask him to match me on certain things like my first car or a month's rent or something.

-------------
Hair Type:3c/4a
Hair Length:SBL
“The approval of others often forms an essential part of our capacity to think we are right.”

Posted By: _ConcreteRose_
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 8:37am
I don't have a license, but when I get one. Im using my grandfathers other car. (well at least I have the option too, Im afraid of driving though so chances are I wont be doing for a while. lol)

yes. she buys my clothing and stuff of that nature.

She buys my food, pays my rent, and some tuition last year. Not all of it though.

Posted By: babyk94
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 8:40am
Everything I am very blessed

Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 8:43am
Please forgive me Alias for Highjacking the thread but I have a question for yall:
Okay so I have a brand new bedroom set. The mattress cost me 1100, the furniture was 1800. So close to three stacks for the bedroom set, cool. So im moving back to my home state after I finish school out here and was telling my dad how I was thinking about selling my furniture so that I can just get a minivan load my things in there and wont have to worry about getting a moving company. He then goes on and says how he wants to buy the furniture off of me. Unhappy. I say ok we'll talk about.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago. My dad calls me to tell me that he western unioned me $100 for my bday.Stern Smile. "thank you Daddy." He starts with the furniture. So I tell him that it doesnt make sense to sell him the furniture. I might as well keep it. Im gonna have to pay to have it moved back to jersey and then he SURE AS HELL aint gonna try to pay me what I could get from someone else out here. When I said I wanted to sell it, it was to someone in the florida area who could come and get it from my house. My dad then proceeds to make me feel guilty and says: well maybe we can work on the moving costs and then you'll see how much youre going to sell it for to your "dad". Angry

Am I wrong for feeling like my dad is trying to G me? When I needed furniture he is the last person who would have assisted me in getting it. Now he wants me to give it to him on the five finger discount low low price. THe Hell?!

-------------
My mind explodes

Posted By: chinadoll77
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 8:45am
First car...

I started out slightly backwards though.....

-------------
If I worried about what you thought about me,it would be a grave misuse of my ME TIME....

Posted By: chinadoll77
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 8:48am
Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

Please forgive me Alias for Highjacking the thread but I have a question for yall:
Okay so I have a brand new bedroom set. The mattress cost me 1100, the furniture was 1800. So close to three stacks for the bedroom set, cool. So im moving back to my home state after I finish school out here and was telling my dad how I was thinking about selling my furniture so that I can just get a minivan load my things in there and wont have to worry about getting a moving company. He then goes on and says how he wants to buy the furniture off of me. Unhappy. I say ok we'll talk about.

Fast forward to a couple of days ago. My dad calls me to tell me that he western unioned me $100 for my bday.Stern Smile. "thank you Daddy." He starts with the furniture. So I tell him that it doesnt make sense to sell him the furniture. I might as well keep it. Im gonna have to pay to have it moved back to jersey and then he SURE AS HELL aint gonna try to pay me what I could get from someone else out here. When I said I wanted to sell it, it was to someone in the florida area who could come and get it from my house. My dad then proceeds to make me feel guilty and says: well maybe we can work on the moving costs and then you'll see how much youre going to sell it for to your "dad". Angry

Am I wrong for feeling like my dad is trying to G me? When I needed furniture he is the last person who would have assisted me in getting it. Now he wants me to give it to him on the five finger discount low low price. THe Hell?!

Sell it,and save a little cash to take dad out to eat when you move back........

-------------
If I worried about what you thought about me,it would be a grave misuse of my ME TIME....

Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 8:48am
Sorry for laughing but LOL

Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 8:57am
Thank you Alias for laughing at my woes.

But seriously, Im trying not to be like that over trivial things. But I hate feeling like im being G'd by ANYONE.

-------------
My mind explodes

Posted By: JamCaygirl
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 8:59am
yeah, your dad is trying to pull a fast one....

my parents paid for nada....

-------------
Out of many, one people.....
Happy 50th JAMAICA!

Posted By: keelolo1
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 9:00am
Everything. I just bought a house and they gave the down payment and closing costs. They grew up poor and now they make 6 figs each so they feel like they are able to give their kids whatever we need. I am blessed to have them.

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 9:01am
Originally posted by babyk94 babyk94 wrote:

Posted By: khivey
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 9:05am
He could really want you to keep it and will pay for the cost of moving in return for you keeping the furniture so you will have it and not have to buy more when you move back. You will lose out on more money to sell it for less and then turn around and buy more furniture when you return. 3 stacks for a bedroom set sounds absurd...but I'm sure it is nice and I don't blame pops for trying to cop it for a nice deal if you are trying to sell it..

-------------
Hair Type:3c/4a
Hair Length:SBL
“The approval of others often forms an essential part of our capacity to think we are right.”

Posted By: ThatGurlD
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 9:08am
None of the above OP BUT they have been there for every important thing, supported all my endeavors and respected my choices when they disagreed.  I'll take that over money.  I have a lot of friends who's parents use their money and provisions as leverage.  No thanks.  I'm glad to hear so many of you were so blessed.  Being the fourth child in a family of seven, I never had any expectations of financial help lol

-------------
Valleys only exist between mountains. Stay down til you come up.

Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 9:08am
Originally posted by SoutherNtellect SoutherNtellect wrote:

Originally posted by babyk94 babyk94 wrote:

Posted By: Missvw
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 9:09am
Nothing!

Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 9:11am
Originally posted by khivey khivey wrote:

He could really want you to keep it and will pay for the cost of moving in return for you keeping the furniture so you will have it and not have to buy more when you move back. You will lose out on more money to sell it for less and then turn around and buy more furniture when you return. 3 stacks for a bedroom sense sounds absurd...but I'm sure it is nice and I don't blame pops for trying to cop it for a nice deal if you are trying to sell it..
Exactly my point. When I was discussing possibly selling it, it was just so that I could minimize moving costs. That brotha aint gonna assist me with moving costs and tell me to keep the furniture.

-------------
My mind explodes

Posted By: JoliePoufiasse
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 9:15am
Pretty much everything. School, books, clothes, second-hand car (nothing fancy). Typical french west indian family. But that came at a price because they would damn near set me on fire if I showed any interest in boys growing up. You know how some parents will say "my baby isn't dating anybody until she turns thirty"? These folks meant it! I had to be very sneaky about it, LOL

Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 9:17am
^^^^What is West Indian?  Can I get a country?  All my Indian friends say East Indian and they're from India.  When I ask them why they say 'east' they say because otherwise it could be confused for Native.

-------------

Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 9:18am
JP,

I would love to know more about the "typical West Indian French family" because I don't know anything about yall (other than what I've learned from Les Twins Embarrassed)

Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 9:21am
Originally posted by ThatGurlD ThatGurlD wrote:

^^^^What is West Indian?  Can I get a country?  All my Indian friends say East Indian and they're from India.  When I ask them why they say 'east' they say because otherwise it could be confused for Native.
Was that for me? If so, Haiti on my father's side, Guadeloupe on my mother's side.

Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 9:23am

JP,

I would love to know more about the "typical West Indian French family" because I don't know anything about yall (other than what I've learned from Les Twins Embarrassed)
Would be happy to tell you, LOL. But it needs to be in another thread, don't wanna hijack this one

Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 9:27am
http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/namerica/caribb/special/westind.htm" rel="nofollow - http://www.worldatlas.com/webimage/countrys/namerica/caribb/special/westind.htm

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 9:27am
Nothing

Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 9:29am
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Indies" rel="nofollow - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/West_Indies

The Caribbean is referred to as "the Indies" and inhabitants from India as "East Indians"; therefore, to elminate confusion the Caribbean is also referred to as "the West Indies"

Posted By: Allure.
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 9:32am
Originally posted by Naturalchick30 Naturalchick30 wrote:

Nothing lol

-------------

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 9:32am

...your first car?

>loans, food cost, etc?

My mom paid for my 2nd car, I want to say I paid for some of it as well. I paid for my first. She paid for my fifth car but I paid her back.

After I was 17 I pretty much paid for everything else. I think I stayed with her a month or 2 before I moved to PA.
I paid for all my schooling and I think my dad gave me like $50 my first semester AFTER someone stole all my books. Then they bought me a laptop a few years later, but I don't think it was for me 'originally'. I think they just had an extra one.

-------------
God forgive me for my brash delivery
But I remember vividly what these streets did to me

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 9:41am
Everything.

Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 9:46am
I'm glad to see that so many of you had somewhat responsible and capable parents

I'm not angry at my parents for providing nearly nothing because they're my biggest inspiration for the financial decisions that I make today

Posted By: lollypop036
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 9:47am
Originally posted by Sang Froid Sang Froid wrote:

Everything.

Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 10:00am
Originally posted by JoliePoufiasse JoliePoufiasse wrote:

Was that for me? If so, Haiti on my father's side, Guadeloupe on my mother's side.

Yes.  Thanks.  Sometimes I feel so ignorant.  I wouldn't have guessed that.

-------------

Posted By: Sang Froid
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 10:02am
The West Indies is the Caribbean....where C. Columbus landed.

Posted By: Miss B
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 10:07am
My parents took care of my major NEEDS/expenses for the majority of college. Tuition after grants/scholarships, and rent. I had to take out loans for my last year.

I got a car with my own money after I started working. I begged for one all through college but honestly getting one on my own was the best feeling.

Posted By: 313chick
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 10:16am
Originally posted by Naturalchick30 Naturalchick30 wrote:

Nothing lol
this... they have other things to worry about

-------------

Posted By: acaraway
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 10:21am
Umm...I'm still on her health insurance.

Posted By: 313chick
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 10:28am
well I do have insurance

-------------

Posted By: Miss SDY
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 10:37am
Quite a bit.
Got me my first car, paid tuition for my first couple years, paid insurance (health and car). My sister bought me a laptop, paid for my tuition for nursing school and everything else I needed at the time. I bought my second and third cars and I worked because I wanted to..

I still have some student loans scattered in there as well..

My parents paid everything for my sister when she went to college. She worked bc she wanted to.

Now I'm about to go back to finish, and when my mom passed, she made sure her girls were taken care of.. :-) I miss her so much.

-------------
http://daisypath.com" rel="nofollow">

NL----[SL]----APL----BSB----BSL

Closing in on APL!!!

Posted By: nycdiva357
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 10:41am

...your first car? nah... that would be my aunty/bestfriend.

...clothes, accessories, etc, while in college? yup. my parents didn't want me to work while a student. so they paid for this.

...your way through college? scholarships paid for all of that.
        >loans, food cost, etc?

...anything I haven't mentioned? Geek um... after i graduated college.. i lived w/ my mom while i went to law school. I paid some  house bills. but she paid her mortgage.

-------------
He follows what I'm saying.. I aint gotta twitter shyt.

Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 10:48am
Tuition in the States is crazy, though. I'm pretty sure I would have to get student loans if I studied there. My cousins did. it would have been impossible for my folks to pay for that. Canadian fees don't even come close and I studied in the cheapest province in Canada for education

Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 12:31pm
After age 17, nothing since they died
Before then normal kids and teen stuff. Nothing outlandish. The most costly thing was a computer + printer back in 1994

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 1:04pm
Everything.
I had scholarships for college but they sent an allowance each month.

-------------

PEACE

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 1:06pm
My parents still pay for stuff....

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Posted By: James Avery
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 1:06pm

...your first car?

>loans, food cost, etc?

Confused

-------------
God bless

Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 1:13pm
None of the above. I bought my first car with money I got from a car accident law suit I was in. As far as college tuition, what hasn't been covered by financial aid or loans I've paid out of pocket myself. Clothes and what have you I buy myself whenever I feel I need new clothing

-------------

Posted By: Gumdrop92
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 1:18pm
Just got my first car and my dad matched my down payment....but I'm paying for the notes and insurance.
Everything else listed, I paid for myself. Sometimes they would buy me groceries, but that's it.

Oh, my ma bought my books my first semester in school.

-------------
"A miracle is another name for hard work," -Kang Tae Joon 아름다운 그대에게
SL to BSL in 2012

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 1:24pm
Almost everything..

Car, spending money, apartment rent, books, etc..

I got financial aid for school because technically I am independent on my fafsa (so I didn't have to put my parents income) And I didn't get my first job Til I was like 21.. So yea my efc score was 0 and I got a nice amount in grants to pay for tuition

Posted By: pinkextra
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 1:32pm
Originally posted by James Avery James Avery wrote:

...your first car?

>loans, food cost, etc?

Confused

^^^^  LOLLOL

Cuz they wanted you to man up and be responsible at an early age! Wink

-------------
"I think my mother is a Coon. **not literally, but from what I see you guys say about "coons", she acts very similar."        -   Kimmy90

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 1:39pm
She still pays my phone bill and whatever else I decide to put on her credit cards
But I basically pay for my clothes now

Posted By: James Avery
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 1:41pm
Originally posted by pinkextra pinkextra wrote:

Originally posted by James Avery James Avery wrote:

...your first car?

>loans, food cost, etc?

Confused

^^^^  LOLLOL

Cuz they wanted you to man up and be responsible at an early age! Wink

yup.

but aye, have you done your good deed for 2012 yet? i was wondering if you would like to sponsor me on an expedition to a foreign country. i would like to accompany on one of your excursions imho. hopefully amsterdam.

-------------
God bless

Posted By: dreamz
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 1:52pm
everything. 

i didn't pay for anything in college, no loans either.  never worked in hs either, not even babysitting lol. they bought my first car at 16. we bought my daughter her car last year (for her swt 16). i worked immediately following college, but they still carried me until i'd been on the job for 6 months.

my parents believed in making the most of youth, and prepared themselves to allow me to do that. i am doing the same for my 3. 

-------------
specs: handmade 8" kinky curly upart wig. wefts purchased from http://www.kinkycurlyyaki.com

Posted By: Bunnyahh
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 2:26pm
my parents still do a lot for me & I dont even ask. Just the other night daddy brought enough dinner to last for days (it was delicious too) & today mommy called me to get free gas from her job. I got a FULL TANKHeart for $00.00

-------------
Hi BHM!! Lovely day I'm having. How about you?

Posted By: yaya24
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 2:41pm
Then
gas
car
insurance (car and medical)
cell ph
toll tag
food
books

Now

toll tag
LOL

If I need anything though, its an open door policy.
Thankfully I do not.

-------------
iRep ♥ Naija
TexLAXED 1.25.13'
SL starting alllll the way over. Watch me work.
APL 2013

<

Posted By: OoDles O
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 3:13pm
My dad got me my first car when i was 17. that thing was a bucket..Im pretty sure he paid no more than a few hundred for it. I think I paid more in repairs. I paid cash for my second car... which I still drive

I had a scholarship for college that covered most of tuition but had to get a loan to pay for room and board.

My dad would send me some spending cash from time to time... My mom would send me some change here and their also.

Outside of that... I didn't ask for much

Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 3:31pm
Originally posted by dreamz dreamz wrote:

everything. 

i didn't pay for anything in college, no loans either.  never worked in hs either, not even babysitting lol. they bought my first car at 16. we bought my daughter her car last year (for her swt 16). i worked immediately following college, but they still carried me until i'd been on the job for 6 months.

my parents believed in making the most of youth, and prepared themselves to allow me to do that. i am doing the same for my 3. 

we have the same parents too? LOL

-------------

PEACE

Posted By: **Sk!TtLeS B**
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 3:38pm
My mom pays for everything. When I go home, she buys me food, clothes, hair products, etc. Basically whatever I want given that it's at a reasonable price. She's buying me a car, too. I'd like to have it by my birthday (next Tuesday), but I'll be grateful whenever it comes.

Im spoiled as hell, but Im appreciative of it all. By the end of this (school) year, I want to be able to take care of myself, and pay my portion of the cell phone bill, and buy her gifts and stuff.Approve

-------------
Im making a political statement every time I make my ass clap - Ru Paul

Posted By: GLAMAFROMNY
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 4:18pm

...your first car? I'm paid 75% and they paid 25%

...clothes, accessories, etc, while in college?No

>loans, food cost, etc?I stayed home for college and received grants, but they provided food and shelter :) 

...anything I haven't mentioned? 
I'm in graduate school now so food and shelter, I'm grateful!

-------------
GOD 1st!

Posted By: csungrl09
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 7:57pm

...your first car? yes.

...clothes, accessories, etc, while in college? no.

...your way through college?  yes.
        >loans, food cost, etc?

-------------
Even with a low LSAT, i'm a hot commodity.

Posted By: dreamz
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by PurpleHaze PurpleHaze wrote:

everything. 

we have the same parents too? LOL

sister!! Hug

LOL

-------------
specs: handmade 8" kinky curly upart wig. wefts purchased from http://www.kinkycurlyyaki.com

Posted By: CuteNSweet
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 8:08pm
Nothing....

Lived at home rent free though.

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 8:10pm

...your first car? Yeah. I had to graduate HS on honor roll all 4yrs and for graduating college

Partially.

...your way through college? >loans, food cost, etc?
Groceries, free rent, phone bill but not tuition.

...They paid for my insurance until I was kicked off of theirs and got school insurance.

They did not have have to do any of that but I'm glad they did.

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Posted By: Harmonii
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 8:11pm
Everything...
First car was brand new graduation present plus trips to the Bahamas and Canada
Credit card at 17 (was authorized user on my moms) so I had my own
Never made a car or car insurance payment in my life
Telephone bill
I was very lucky.
My girl and I were the lucky ones
Everyone else struggled just to pay for going out to eat.

Posted By: Ladycoils
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 8:33pm
First car- it was a bucket and lasted two months.

Dad co-signed for 2 cars after but I paid the car note

They paid my car insurance for a year.

I moved back home my sophmore year in college and paid $200 rent a month.

I benefited from their good credit by getting their gas card or a better rate on car note. I still had to pay the bill though.

I didn't borrow money or ask for anything because my dad would hold it over my head.

-------------
To dream of the person you would like to be is to waste the person you are.

Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 8:33pm

sister!! Hug

LOL

Hug

-------------

PEACE

Posted By: PurrPoZe
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 8:44pm
She does a lot....but I've been making my own money since 14....she would say "save what you can and I'll double it for school clothes" but always ended up spending way more on me....so she carries me when I've exhausted my resources

-------------
cool

Posted By: Lavinia
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 6:16am
..your first car?
Nope. I already had my 1st job by the time I got a drivers' license. My mom just co-signed as a guarantor of the lease, but I never missed a payment so she never had to pay a cent towards my car, fuel or repairs. This taught me to save for what I want, take care of my big ticket items & manage a (tiny) budget.

First three years, yes. In my last year I was working (had a decent paid internship), so I started paying for my own little things and spoiling my family now & then. Felt good.

>loans, food cost, etc?
Yes, in a way. My parents are both academics & in South Africa that means their kids go to college for free. They'd only have to pay if I failed my classes, so I still had mad pressure to focus and set a good example for my younger bro & sis.

- They paid for my medical cover / bills until I finished college. I had 4 impacted wisdom teeth removed when I turned 19 & that bill was more than my first car. I am so grateful to them for this.
- Haha, it was very late in my life that my mom stopped paying for my haircare. I actually think I started paying for my own haircare when I discovered forums.
- Cellphone. I've had one since highschool, which they paid for. My dad still sends me minutes now & then to guilt trip me for not calling often enough. LOL

-------------

Posted By: Afrocentchic
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 10:32am
My parents paid for clothes, food, hair appointments, copays etc. until I began to work. After that all bets were off. My mom started wanting me to pay her and I was very resentful of that.

My parents did not attempt to pay for anything regarding driving or driving lessons. My 29th bday was Friday, and will be paying 100 dollars driving lessons.
I'm hoping I will be able to get my license soon. ;/

-------------
For Black women as well as Black men, it is axiomatic that if we do not define ourselves for ourselves, we will be defined by others --for their use and to our detriment. - Audre Lord

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 10:38am
Afrocentchic, ive heard about you. LOL

I think Ive been to your blog, it's very nice 

Posted By: lanae
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 10:39am
They paid for my car/medical insurance and graduation cruise. I was on scholarship and worked my way through college so I didn't need much else.

-------------
"It's not what you're called but what you answer to that will define who you are."

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 10:40am

Afrocentchic, ive heard about you. LOL

I think Ive been to your blog, it's very nice 
O.o what did you hear and who said it?! lol
Thank you for the blog love. <3

-------------
For Black women as well as Black men, it is axiomatic that if we do not define ourselves for ourselves, we will be defined by others --for their use and to our detriment. - Audre Lord

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 10:47am
you're well liked here Smile
but I often confused ur name with Afrokock's lol

Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 10:49am

you're well liked here Smile
but I often confused ur name with Afrokock's lol
awww <3 And yeah, brother kock and I are often confused.LOL 

-------------

Posted By: dOLLish.
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 11:03am
* My mother.

Essentially, my mother put me through college (5 years in an over-priced school in NYC).  She paid my living expenses, in addition to food and misc. expenses for 4 years.

She used to pay for my clothes and hair, but now I do that on my own.

Posted By: SimplyPut
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 11:07am
Every and anything I could think up. It was kind of crippling though..

Posted By: Nisha
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 1:52pm

My parents never paid for anything in my life.

They could really care less.

Now that they are both disabled, the feeling is very mutual.

-------------

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 3:05pm
Everything 

-------------
yo

Posted By: petiteone29
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 3:40pm
[QUOTE=Naturalchick30]

Nothing

Posted By: petiteone29
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Nisha Nisha wrote:

My parents never paid for anything in my life.

They could really care less.

Now that they are both disabled, the feeling is very mutual.

dang. i guess you have the right to feel that way. but......idk

Posted By: missdeeluxe
Date Posted: Nov 05 2012 at 3:48pm
Growing up, they paid for everything.
I bought my car and have been paying for everything since I turned 18.
Tuition, bills, etc.

I get a little jealous of my friends who don't even have to work while in college because their parents take care of everything but I'm glad I've had the more real world experiences and have able to support myself.

Print Page | Close Window