Forum Name: Natural Hair Care
Forum Description: General Discussions on Natural Hair Care
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=349315
Printed Date: Dec 13 2017 at 4:20am

Topic: Cream for LOC method?
Posted By: shortnsweet08
Subject: Cream for LOC method?
Date Posted: Oct 07 2012 at 8:55pm
I wanna try out the LOC method and have found some creamy conditioners that I thought may work, but I was looking on Black Onyx's (the creator of the LOC methods) site, and it said that the cream shouldn't contain water, and all the creams I've come across (and most hair products in general) contain water. So..

Can anyone recommend a cream that doesnt contain water?

OR

Should I go ahead and try a cream containing water? I've really been considering 

Shea Moisture Organic Raw Shea Butter Restorative Condition

-------------
Fighting on BHM is really counterproductive. The person you pissed off yesterday might be the person who has the info you need today. So STOP IT. Just STOP IT.

Replies:
Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Oct 08 2012 at 12:37am
Its Chicoro method Black Onxy just marketed the acronym well she use to tell people it was Chicoro method guess not anymore. Some use shea mixes or any butter use whatever you can't go wrong try what u have on hand and see which product u like best. I use a cream leave-in works great on my hair i feel cream with no water would be to heavy.

Posted By: Kocoa
Date Posted: Oct 08 2012 at 3:52am
It's better to use a butter or something that doesn't have water as the first ingredient. Using a water based product really doesn't tend to lock in moisture - the moisture will still evaporate, but it will take a little longer + you'd have to use more of the conditioner (which I find counterproductive).

I definitely subscribe to the LOC method since I have low porosity hair but I have a slightly different take on it. During the winters, I usually go water - argan oil - shea butter since it's cold. Once the spring rolls around, I actually use water - silicone serum - light gel and it's just as effective. I'm quite lazy on my hair, so I'm majorly a wash 'n' go girl.

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Oct 08 2012 at 4:36am
just use items you already own. you can use an oil moisturizer, shea butter, castor oil or just mix oil with what ever mosturizer you are using.  the idea is that its oil based.

Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: Oct 08 2012 at 8:13am
I've been doing the LCO method for a year and didn't even know itLOL OP use whatever you have available I use herbal tea tree gro conditioner for the summer in the winter I use FNWL shealoe butter.  I've been very lazy lately I washed my hair last night and didn't bother to twist it up so this morning I noticed I'm low on my herbal tea tree so I plan on mixing a little of it with some condish and water and applying to my hair but now Im thinking about trying the oil first them moisturizer.....IMO you should use what you have I think any product is fine as long as it doesn't contain alcohol.

Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: Oct 08 2012 at 8:17am
http://discoveringnatural.blogspot.com/2012/02/moisturizing-your-hair-with-loc-method.html" rel="nofollow - http://discoveringnatural.blogspot.com/2012/02/moisturizing-your-hair-with-loc-method.html

Posted By: Momeijheii
Date Posted: Oct 08 2012 at 9:11am
Originally posted by rell85 rell85 wrote:

Its Chicoro method Black Onxy just marketed the acronym well she use to tell people it was Chicoro method guess not anymore. Some use shea mixes or any butter use whatever you can't go wrong try what u have on hand and see which product u like best. I use a cream leave-in works great on my hair i feel cream with no water would be to heavy.

CryCry
Thank you so much for this. I could never word this right without sounding like a douche. 

-------------
Chubby chicken bringing the ruckus. It's tha killa called Momehjijijijijiji

Date Posted: Oct 08 2012 at 10:14am
Originally posted by rell85 rell85 wrote:

That's right!!! In the back of my mind I've been thinking, someone else described this method, I've read it somewhere else before. And now I remember, it's in Chicoro's book, which I have and read a couple years back. I'll be sure to pass this on. Thank you. 

And thank you ladies, for your responses. A shea mixture sounds perfect. I used to do shea mixes with shea butter and vatika (coconut oil). Shea mixes need oil in order to mix, right? When using the LOC method, does it matter whether my O is the same oil I use in my cream? I'm thinking maybe they should be diff to keep them more separate, and thus keep the layers separate? 

-------------
Fighting on BHM is really counterproductive. The person you pissed off yesterday might be the person who has the info you need today. So STOP IT. Just STOP IT.

Posted By: RoxieDream
Date Posted: Oct 08 2012 at 2:46pm
So BlackOnyx jacked someone else's stuff and made it hers? LOL

wowsers

-------------
<< Swerve >>

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Oct 08 2012 at 8:44pm
Shortnsweet yes use a different oil for the oil step use a light oil.

Posted By: tvlady
Date Posted: Oct 09 2012 at 12:13am
I tried it once, but since I wear wash and gos I find butters too heavy for my final step.  I used QP Mango Butter when I did it.  Does anyone else have this problems or are there any other creams that are lighter

-------------
BC March 2012
http://public.fotki.com/tvlady/

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Oct 09 2012 at 12:50am
Originally posted by RoxieDream RoxieDream wrote:

wowsers
I just remember BlackOnyx name from her silly hair typing video BHM laughed at.

It's pretty messed up she is trying to steal Chicoro's method without giving her credit smh

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Posted By: waveyrus
Date Posted: Oct 09 2012 at 1:50am
I don't get this at all, it has been said over and over on this board that Oils are not a moisturizer? So how does this method moisturize your hair?

Date Posted: Oct 09 2012 at 4:36am
Originally posted by waveyrus waveyrus wrote:

I don't get this at all, it has been said over and over on this board that Oils are not a moisturizer? So how does this method moisturize your hair?

no one is saying it moisturize.  oil is the the second step to seal in the moisture of the first step.

Date Posted: Oct 09 2012 at 4:43am

wowsers

the first video she had for moisturizing and sealing she gave credit to chicoro. when i first learned about the 3 step method i learned if from chicoro, i think blackony is just passing on info and came up with an easy to remember acronym (LOC).

Posted By: Soratachi
Date Posted: Oct 09 2012 at 4:59am
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

wowsers

the first video she had for moisturizing and sealing she gave credit to chicoro. when i first learned about the 3 step method i learned if from chicoro, i think blackony is just passing on info and came up with an easy to remember acronym (LOC).

This.

-------------
http://images58.fotki.com/v154/photos/7/1850227/11141506/DSC00292-vi.jpg" rel="nofollow - My Natural 4b/c Bun

Posted By: tasty0619
Date Posted: Oct 10 2012 at 5:48pm
I do this. I say use what you have on hand. I currently use SM hair milk(?), grapeseed oil, then SM smoothie

-------------
Visit my accessory store to view my handmade designs!! www.etsy.com/shop/modishness

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Oct 12 2012 at 12:10pm
I use what I have on hand.  Like last night, my C was Liv Hairdressing Cream.  I usually this in the cooler months since my hair likes to dry out much more frequently.

-------------
Laws are not written to protect children and women. They are written to protect MEN. - TokyoRose (truncated unfortunately)

Posted By: RoxieDream
Date Posted: Oct 12 2012 at 4:04pm
I use Crisco as my last step 

-------------
<< Swerve >>

Posted By: WynnieJames
Date Posted: Oct 12 2012 at 7:00pm
I love the LOC method.  I wish I had figured it out years ago.  Creams that I have on hand are Curl-Junkie's Beauticurls Leave In, Oyin Hair Dew and Nothing But Curly Pudding (oh yes!).    I use Jane Carter Nourish and Shine butter as my final step. 

Date Posted: Oct 12 2012 at 7:47pm
The one things I'm wondering about the LOC method is...what am I gonna do with all the products I love, like my Knot Today, that aren't really part of any of the three stepsUnhappy? I like light to moderately heavy lotions, but I don't know if there will be a place for them. It seems like with the LOC method I'm only gonna have to moisturize and seal twice a week and theres not gonna be a need for anything else inbetween....

-------------

Posted By: HoneyS7
Date Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 3:50pm
I am still searching for the perfect cream for the "C" step!

-------------
I often wish that I could save everyone, but I'm a dreamer.

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:22pm
What is the diffrence between a an OIL and a CREAM in terms os sealing?
Infact what is a cream? is it water and oil mixed together?  Why not just water then oil/butter?

Posted By: momentoindigo
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:41pm
The cream is sort of to make the hair more manageable and keep the oil from coming off/being oily from what I can tell.

If you are only gonna LOC twice a week then maybe use your knot today on days you cowash and don't LOC? I know it doesn't really make sense to cowash without LOCing but hey lol. Or use it as your liquid to detangle. Then oil and cream. But my experience with knot today is that it doesn't mix well with other products. It gave me build up and crust when I did.

My favorite creams to use are giovanni leave in conditioner or shea moisture curl enhancing smoothie. I use water based creams during the spring and summer and for fall and winter for extra protection i use oil based creams, that being whipped shea butter.

-------------
www.urbaneccentrik.com

Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:42pm
Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

What is the diffrence between a an OIL and a CREAM in terms os sealing? it adds as an extra sealant.
Infact what is a cream?cream is just anything that is oil based but thicker than oil. is it water and oil mixed together? are you being seriousErmm Why not just water then oil/butter? nothings stopping you from doing that but water evaporates faster than products that are made to moisturize  when i wear my hair in braids or twists i mainly use water or aloe and seal with oil.

Posted By: momentoindigo
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:46pm
even though i have fine hair i find that just water and oil isn't enough for me... i always say water based creams are okay, too, since i know some ppl's hair is almost too fine for oil to begin with so the water based cream helps and it seems to work the same way for ppl with super fine thin hair. but that's why i alternate between the two.

-------------
www.urbaneccentrik.com

Print Page | Close Window