Forum Name: Hair Types
Forum Description: Discussions on Hair Types
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=348925
Printed Date: Dec 11 2017 at 2:45am

Topic: No such thing as 4c hair or Afro hair no curl
Posted By: Veemack
Subject: No such thing as 4c hair or Afro hair no curl
Date Posted: Sep 28 2012 at 12:25pm
Would like to share this video of a lady showing you how she defines her coils on hair that some would consider 4c. Now because many think that 4c hair does not curl, many of the people left comments that her hair is not 4c but more so 3b/4a. Know this, all afro hair has a curl or coil pattern this is what makes our hair stand up and grow out. Straight hair grows down. Afro hair grows up and out. If you are having problems achieving a wash and go curly style, it is because you are using the wrong techniques or your hair is not hydrated properly.
This video is really helpful for those who believe they cannot achieve a curly style by doing a wash and go. She recommends defining your curl on 90% dry hair. For other tips watch the video.

-------------
I am a happy positive God fearing sister, this is why I can show my face. Freely I speak irl, so I do not need to get on the net to vent. I love positivity. Don't be mad nor confused about that.

Replies:
Date Posted: Sep 28 2012 at 3:54pm
A awesome twistout on those who have a problem achieving one, take a look.

-------------
I am a happy positive God fearing sister, this is why I can show my face. Freely I speak irl, so I do not need to get on the net to vent. I love positivity. Don't be mad nor confused about that.

Posted By: Malexandre
Date Posted: Sep 28 2012 at 9:33pm
I agree that 4c do have curl, and it is possible to define them , but her hair doesn't look 4c . It will be helpful to have a video that show her hair without product or any kind of styling. 
Those are 4C hair  texture: 
http://www.darkerthanbrown.com/2011/08/what-does-4c-hair-look-like.html
http://www.vissastudios.com/street-styles-tira
4B/4C
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BGrIw7d5Kmw

Date Posted: Sep 28 2012 at 9:49pm
This is not a wash and go if she is using gel and twist out ...
That is how 4C hair look like wash and go :

http://www.darkerthanbrown.com/2011/01/4b4c-natural-hair-care.html

But thanks for the help

BTW I recommend this blog to 4C hair , a lot of helpful information.

Posted By: rubynaturalprincess
Date Posted: Sep 28 2012 at 10:00pm
Im sorry OP but 4c does exist, im living proofLOL trust me my hair  only looks like that when Im put henna in it.  And darkerthanbrown.com is exactly how my hair looks and behaves like. That blog is my go-to site if im having a hair crisis.

The girl in the vid has a looser curl pattern, almost 4a/4bish. My hair looks like small spring coils up close and shrinkage is about 75%. I dont know about anyone else but I dont have the desire to make my curl pattern seem more defined, in my opinion it already is. Thanks for the vid though in case I may want a looser looking style one day, I'll check it out. 

-------------
Positive energy in, negative energy out

Date Posted: Sep 28 2012 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by rubynaturalprincess rubynaturalprincess wrote:

Im sorry OP but 4c does exist, im living proofLOL trust me my hair  only looks like that when Im put henna in it.  And darkerthanbrown.com is exactly how my hair looks and behaves like. That blog is my go-to site if im having a hair crisis.

The girl in the vid has a looser curl pattern, almost 4a/4bish. My hair looks like small spring coils up close and shrinkage is about 75%. I dont know about anyone else but I dont have the desire to make my curl pattern seem more defined, in my opinion it already is. Thanks for the vid though in case I may want a looser looking style one day, I'll check it out. 

The lady in the video is 4c not 4a/b what you are seeing is hair that is in good condition and a coil that has been defined by a product. She has stated that she is 4c.  This video is only for those who desire to achieve wash and goes but have not been able to, not all desire all styles. I do not wear a wash and go. I mostly wear twist....If you would like more information her youtube page consist of other 4c women giving styling tips on how they work with their 4c hair......I do not believe 4c hair exist, Afro hair is curly hair. But I do tell people if that believe that to be true for themselves then it will be their truth. This thread is to help those who do not subscribe to 4c hair. All afro hair is curly, there are just degrees of curl patterns. Some require different products and techniques to achieve a wash and go than others. It is about knowing your hair and spending time with getting to know it without extensions or wigs.

-------------

Date Posted: Sep 28 2012 at 10:33pm
Originally posted by Malexandre Malexandre wrote:

This is not a wash and go if she is using gel and twist out ...
That is how 4C hair look like wash and go :

http://www.darkerthanbrown.com/2011/01/4b4c-natural-hair-care.html

But thanks for the help

BTW I recommend this blog to 4C hair , a lot of helpful information.
The first video is her doing a wash and go. You can use product for a wash n go. In this environment it is unwise to not put any type of product in your hair. She did not do a twist out in the first video. That is the second video. I know what a wash n go is. I have 4C hair so I also know the hair type. I rarely use the term unless I need to for clarification. I call Afro hair curly or coily. My hair is tightly coily product is needed such as a gel to freeze the coils into place. Just as one would use hairspray to freeze a style. Your video link does not work.

You are welcome, I am here to help.

-------------

Posted By: Kocoa
Date Posted: Sep 29 2012 at 7:30am
This is an interesting discussion.

IMO, I always thought 4C meant extremely coily strands to the point where it wouldn't clump or "marry" with the strands adjacent to it.

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Sep 29 2012 at 7:52am

I thought the same thing. Im 4ab and her hair resembles mine. I don't see any 4c at all in her hair.

Date Posted: Sep 29 2012 at 8:06am
Originally posted by Naturalchick30 Naturalchick30 wrote:

I thought the same thing. Im 4ab and her hair resembles mine. I don't see any 4c at all in her hair.
The reason people do not see 4c is because they feel that 4c hair does not curl nor coil. What makes a persons hair shrink or go into an Afro? Straight strands cannot go into an Afro without manipulation. I think some feel that if I cannot put conditioner on my hair and just rub it through and get curls then my hair will not curl. The very nature of Afro hair is the shape of the hair follicle at birth, Because of this shape it grows out coily or curly. Now I guess if you are mixed and you got more white genes your hair follicle could be shaped in circle and grow out straight. But I am speaking of black people. Afro hair is coily hair.

-------------

Date Posted: Sep 29 2012 at 8:12am
Originally posted by Kocoa Kocoa wrote:

This is an interesting discussion.

IMO, I always thought 4C meant extremely coily strands to the point where it wouldn't clump or "marry" with the strands adjacent to it.
Well this group was made up by people who felt they did not fall on the number chart, which I do not like by the way. But I use it when discussing hair on forums so people can better understand what I am saying. If something is extremely coily then it is curly, because coil is a form of curl. Blood coils under a microscope the Universe coils.That is what makes our Afro hair so fascinating. I wish we would study the fascinating part of how wonderful our hair is, instead of saying what our hair is not. Water and products make the hair clump. Your hair does not have to clump together to achieve a curly style. There are many definitions out there because this is not a term used in teaching hair. Historically most of us always knew our hair was curly. It is when people could not achieve wash n goes that they started this my Afro hair does not grow coily.

-------------

Date Posted: Sep 29 2012 at 8:16pm
Originally posted by Veemack Veemack wrote:

The lady in the video is 4c not 4a/b what you are seeing is hair that is in good condition and a coil that has been defined by a product. She has stated that she is 4c.  This video is only for those who desire to achieve wash and goes but have not been able to, not all desire all styles. I do not wear a wash and go. I mostly wear twist....If you would like more information her youtube page consist of other 4c women giving styling tips on how they work with their 4c hair......I do not believe 4c hair exist, Afro hair is curly hair. But I do tell people if that believe that to be true for themselves then it will be their truth. This thread is to help those who do not subscribe to 4c hair. All afro hair is curly, there are just degrees of curl patterns. Some require different products and techniques to achieve a wash and go than others. It is about knowing your hair and spending time with getting to know it without extensions or wigs.
  Very true OP! All afro hair is curly. But I do believe that "4C" is prob the tightest curl. Its not a death sentence as some believe, its beautiful. As for wash n go's i've done them but not with the intent of having results like the woman in the video because her curl pattern is naturally looser than mine. I can achieve that look with techniques and products like you stated but I have no desire to, like I stated. I've been natural my whole life and understood my hair for a long time enough to know how it behaves and still had the time to rock wigs and extensions when I felt like it, if anything wigs and extensions give some women time to learn about there hair, if they have never learned about it before. 

Different strokes for different folks, have a blessed one! 

-------------

Date Posted: Sep 29 2012 at 8:27pm
Here is the video that Malexandre posted the link to, it worked for me when I used the link......

Great discussion piece OP!  this brings light to a very interesting topic about the categorization of hair natural hair patterns. 

-------------

Date Posted: Sep 29 2012 at 8:40pm

Here is the video that Malexandre posted the link to, it worked for me when I used the link......

Great discussion piece OP!  this brings light to a very interesting topic about the categorization of hair natural hair patterns. 

Good video!

Posted By: mediagirl
Date Posted: Oct 02 2012 at 5:45am
The only way I can get my hair to look like the one in the OP is if I drench my hair in gel. 
That is not a wash and go in the OP...that is a "wash n spend 1 hour on your hair covering it in gel". 

Date Posted: Oct 02 2012 at 5:55am
Originally posted by mediagirl mediagirl wrote:

The only way I can get my hair to look like the one in the OP is if I drench my hair in gel. 
That is not a wash and go in the OP...that is a "wash n spend 1 hour on your hair covering it in gel". 

Lol pretty much.

Posted By: o0Dreamer0o
Date Posted: Oct 02 2012 at 4:31pm
No her hair is not 4c. I have 4c hair and even when its drenching wet my curls are never loose.
It's aggravating when people don't believe 4c hair exist because then you have a hard time finding someone to give you real good hair tips.

I have tried Nikkimae, Kimmaytube (when her hair was short), SimplYounique, and Naptural85 hair tips. Only to find that they don't work on my hair. Why? Because I'm 4c. My hair doesn't hold curls for long, it frizzes easily, and it never! hangs over my face. Only and only if I do a blow out/twist out it may hang over my face for like an hour. Then it slowly frizzes back up till I look like the dang Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland. For real!

If you want a real example of 4c hair and what we have to go through when its pretty short look at this video by BlackWomanScholar  "Tackling the twist out on 4c hair" Then you could really see the struggle we go through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEI5F3OvPws&feature=related

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Oct 02 2012 at 7:25pm
May I step in?

My mom is 4abc. Some of her hair strands/pattern looks just like the video rubynaturalhairprincess. I know you don't mean harm Veemack but I will say it is very frustrating and offensive to see people say her hair type does not exist, she's not caring for it right and that's why it is not curly/coily.

I will say there have been some good 4c vids posted in here that I had no idea existed and I will recommend to her! Thank you ladies.Embarrassed

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Posted By: Lilnicka4u2nv
Date Posted: Oct 02 2012 at 8:10pm
    I don't agree with telling people what their hair is or what it isn't or how it should be if it isnt a certain way...

and thats is not a wash n go, it's a technique named "doodling" that's been done at salons for wavies/curlies/kinkies..it's twirling or smoothing or twirling and smoothing

http://going-natural.com/challenge-6-doodles.html" rel="nofollow - http://going-natural.com/challenge-6-doodles.html

-------------

Date Posted: Oct 02 2012 at 9:39pm
A couple woman talking about 4 c hair 
Very nice video 
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ytoLMscbHT0&feature=player_embedded

Date Posted: Oct 03 2012 at 4:44am
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

May I step in?

My mom is 4abc. Some of her hair strands/pattern looks just like the video rubynaturalhairprincess. I know you don't mean harm Veemack but I will say it is very frustrating and offensive to see people say her hair type does not exist, she's not caring for it right and that's why it is not curly/coily.

I will say there have been some good 4c vids posted in here that I had no idea existed and I will recommend to her! Thank you ladies.Embarrassed

I agree. She has been saying stuff like that for some time now and I was going to lose my sh*t when I read it again in this post. But, I thought to myself - my hair is in the best state it has been in a long while. It used to feel crunchy and dry after washing, now it feels soft to the point where I'm happy to finger detangle and I don't use combs (never thought I would see the day - lol). And it doesn't break as much any more. so, I give zero *&%^$#@Es what Zeemack thinks about how looked after my hair is. 

I think it has been explained to her before that when people say it has "no curl", what they mean is it has no consistent curl formation/pattern, which is why people spend 1 hour twirling their hair around their fingers making sure the sections are all doing the same thing so they can get some curl definition. 

And curl definition is not important to some of us. At least not to me anyway. 

Date Posted: Oct 03 2012 at 4:45am
Originally posted by o0Dreamer0o o0Dreamer0o wrote:

No her hair is not 4c. I have 4c hair and even when its drenching wet my curls are never loose.
It's aggravating when people don't believe 4c hair exist because then you have a hard time finding someone to give you real good hair tips.

I have tried Nikkimae, Kimmaytube (when her hair was short), SimplYounique, and Naptural85 hair tips. Only to find that they don't work on my hair. Why? Because I'm 4c. My hair doesn't hold curls for long, it frizzes easily, and it never! hangs over my face. Only and only if I do a blow out/twist out it may hang over my face for like an hour. Then it slowly frizzes back up till I look like the dang Mad Hatter in Alice in Wonderland. For real!

If you want a real example of 4c hair and what we have to go through when its pretty short look at this video by BlackWomanScholar  "Tackling the twist out on 4c hair" Then you could really see the struggle we go through.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEI5F3OvPws&feature=related

quoting to embed the video.

Date Posted: Oct 03 2012 at 4:47am
Originally posted by Malexandre Malexandre wrote:

A couple woman talking about 4 c hair 
Very nice video 

Posted By: modelbusiness82
Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 9:02pm
I'm 4ab, but the original video posted just made me go @_@...and not in a good way. Her hair looks like mine when it's wet, but the lengths she's going through to get it is kind of ridiculous to me. I'm all for having a perfect coif, but spending an hour raking a full tub of gel through my hair isn't an option. Plus, since I can't wash my hair daily as it dries my scalp out too much, that would just lead to excessive product build up.

According to the vid, she used 1 teaspoon of eco styler per piece of hair to create her "defined" hair. IMO, spending an hour chasing an elusive curl definition is a bit much. So, she's going through a tub of eco and an hour of time each time she wants defined curls.

I totally get wanting defined curls. I used to chase it when I first started focusing on being natural. Then I realized that my combo hair wasn't going to give me those "perfect curls". I have a zig zag pattern but the bottom half of my hair refuses to behave like the top. So wash 'n go's are a no-no for me. If I want curly definition, I'm going to have to do a braid or twist out.

IMO being natural is about having the healthiest hair possible, not just about getting curls to pop.

-------------
digital entertainment marketer -
BASM Blog: www.bigapplestyle.com

Posted By: darlinnic
Date Posted: Dec 05 2012 at 7:33am
What the...

You know what I just realized who started this thread

Date Posted: Dec 05 2012 at 7:34am

Posted By: babyk94
Date Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 10:20am
I know ppl with 4c hair it exists.

Posted By: KurlieBeautie
Date Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 12:40pm
That's not 3b hair. I would say if anything 4a. 4c hair DEFINITELY exists. 

-------------
Couldn't go very long w/o a puppy Avi! <3

Wags NC. Full p0rn when I finally install to my satisfaction.

Posted By: 305bgirl
Date Posted: Dec 06 2012 at 10:02pm
That chick in the OP looks 3c/4a. Just because her hair is frizzy does not make it 4c.

Posted By: femmemuscleisback
Date Posted: Dec 08 2012 at 5:40pm
Originally posted by darlinnic darlinnic wrote:

What the...

You know what I just realized who started this thread

that say's it all!

thank you and good nite!

LOL

-------------
I've always said: If you have to wear a uniform to work? it's usually a sh*&tty job.

Posted By: Hollistics
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 7:49am
Dear Veemack, 
 I am somewhat new to this forum and I was very surprised/disappointed in the way this particular thread started. In general, you should beware of making blanket statements like, "4C hair does not exist" Of course it exist! I've been walking around with a head full of it for years!! It sounds just as silly as men telling women that PMS does not exist, or me declaring that Sickle Cell Anemia does not exist just because no one I know suffers from it. Do you get where I'm going?

Although you don't realize it, this type of advice is often just discouragement in disguise. It sounds so elitist of you to declare that my hair is not hydrated, healthy, or properly cared for simply because it does not curl or coil like the next persons. 

I invite you and anyone else with questions about type 4 hair (including 4c) to visit my blog, www.Hollistics.com. It's all about growing and maintaining healthy, beautiful, natural hair. Plus it's important to encourage, share, and vent to others who actually believe in and support ALL hair types. :) 

x
Hollis   www.Hollistics.com

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 11:42am
Originally posted by Hollistics Hollistics wrote:

Dear Veemack, 
 I am somewhat new to this forum and I was very surprised/disappointed in the way this particular thread started. In general, you should beware of making blanket statements like, "4C hair does not exist" Of course it exist! I've been walking around with a head full of it for years!! It sounds just as silly as men telling women that PMS does not exist, or me declaring that Sickle Cell Anemia does not exist just because no one I know suffers from it. Do you get where I'm going?

Although you don't realize it, this type of advice is often just discouragement in disguise. It sounds so elitist of you to declare that my hair is not hydrated, healthy, or properly cared for simply because it does not curl or coil like the next persons. 

I invite you and anyone else with questions about type 4 hair (including 4c) to visit my blog, www.Hollistics.com. It's all about growing and maintaining healthy, beautiful, natural hair. Plus it's important to encourage, share, and vent to others who actually believe in and support ALL hair types. :) 

x
Hollis   www.Hollistics.com

Very nice website Ms. Hollis :) I love your work too, keep doing what your doing! 4c def does exist!! lmao dont mind other statements saying otherwise. 

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 12:17pm
RubyNaturalPrincess, 

Wow, that's so nice of you to say! I'm always humbled when someone says they like my work (I never grew out of feeling like a little country girl in this crazy fashion world.) Thanks for your support and kind words, I really appreciate it. 

Posted By: femmemuscleisback
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:23pm
okay... okay..

let me breathe, here..

WOW!!!!!

Nice website, and you are gorgeous!  I just visited and was pleasantly surprised.

I'm hoping others will view your post and visit your website, and show some love!!

great job! and says with a *shrug*... yeah.. we don't pay much attention to the OP these days..But thanks for your advice, and sharing your website.  Beautiful hair, face, complexion - everything!

Clap

-------------
I've always said: If you have to wear a uniform to work? it's usually a sh*&tty job.

Posted By: babyk94
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 8:00am
Originally posted by Hollistics Hollistics wrote:

RubyNaturalPrincess, 

Wow, that's so nice of you to say! I'm always humbled when someone says they like my work (I never grew out of feeling like a little country girl in this crazy fashion world.) Thanks for your support and kind words, I really appreciate it. 

you are soooo prettyyyyyyyy

Posted By: yaya24
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 9:34am
I try my best not to go into threads started by Veemack.... Ermm

But I'm sooo glad I did on this one.

If its really you..
.....  WOW Hollis is posting on BHM??Shocked
I absolutely love your pictures!!!
You look so Afrocentric and exotical LOL
Congratulations on all of your success!

Yay for black models.
Yay for Southern belles!!!

Welcome to BHM.

-------------
iRep ♥ Naija
TexLAXED 1.25.13'
SL starting alllll the way over. Watch me work.
APL 2013

<

Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 10:32am
"If it's really you" Girl, you better stop making me feel important! Thanks so much!! I feel so new to the blogging and forum scene but I LOVE natural hair and wanted to find a way to share that with people. Please continue to support my blog and Like me on facebook! - www.facebook.com/hollistics. Also, I'm interested in featuring all types of natural hair on my blog, I don't want it to just be about me or my hair. Please share your hair story to be featured on Hollistics by emailing me at Hollis@Hollistics.com. Okay, I'm done with all the shameless plugging. :) 

Posted By: bajanbklyngirl
Date Posted: Dec 13 2012 at 1:15pm
I came to this thread for the foolishness but I am glad I read it,
@Hollistics you are sooo pretty and that is a great website

-------------
30 Month Transition
BC Date: 12/7/12

~SL~APL~BSL~MBL

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0An2guFmfaZl6dGNDeWhMNDNLakxkMzdCWVB1LU5wUUE" rel="nofollow - Challenge

Print Page | Close Window