Forum Description: General Discussions on Natural Hair Care
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=346087
Printed Date: Dec 18 2018 at 7:14pm

Topic: Protective Styles Causing Breakage
Posted By: melody4u
Subject: Protective Styles Causing Breakage
Date Posted: Aug 22 2012 at 5:40pm
Hey ladies,

It has been a while since I've posted on here...any-who. I've been trying to do this protective style thing on and off for about 2 years now and I've noticed that every time I go back to wearing my hair "out" I have to trim off a significant amount of damaged hair. This doesn't happen to me when I wear it out. I follow all of the "rules". Keeping my hair moisturized etc. Has anyone else experienced this? Lots of natural hair gurus swear by protective styling for hair growth - could it be that it's not for everyone? Discuss!

Thanks!

Replies:
Posted By: bebe88
Date Posted: Aug 22 2012 at 6:07pm
I pretty much retained all my length with twist outs. I started protective styling a couple months ago....don't know if it's making a diff though.

-------------
http://www.youtube.com/user/BrittaneyRachel

Date Posted: Aug 23 2012 at 12:13pm
Please keep me posted. I am curious to see if anyone else has experienced this!! anyone else??

Posted By: bweave_itn08
Date Posted: Aug 23 2012 at 1:38pm
I don't understand what you mean by wearing your hair "out"..

Posted By: Amillion
Date Posted: Aug 23 2012 at 1:49pm
Maybe its your method of protective styling that's causing the problem.  Consider an alternative for you. What may work for one may not work for another.

Date Posted: Aug 23 2012 at 1:50pm
Out like a Twist out..or a wash n go...things like that. 

Date Posted: Aug 23 2012 at 2:11pm
I've never thought of those as protective styles.. perhaps you should try putting your hair in an updo from a twist out.. Your hair is not protected if you're wearing it in a twist out or wash n go..

Posted By: cmoniquew
Date Posted: Aug 23 2012 at 2:55pm
I don't think she is saying the twist-out is her protective style, but that she gets less breakage from a twist-out than when she protective style.

Posted By: rell85
Date Posted: Aug 23 2012 at 4:00pm
Im feeling the same way the protective style just kill my ends
but its my own fault cuz i over-moisturized my ends by using shea butter but now im using proteins and grapeseed-oil to seal with so thats helping alot.

Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: Aug 23 2012 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Amillion Amillion wrote:

Maybe its your method of protective styling that's causing the problem.  Consider an alternative for you. What may work for one may not work for another.

I will agree with this.  It took me a while to figure out what works for me I've always use wigs for PS, my first year I braided my hair I noticed that winter my hair didn't grow that much but in the summer it would sprout ok so for the following year I decided to twist and leave under wig same thing happended the following year no growth in winter a little in the summer I probably did the twist for maybe 2 yrs.  Last year I changed it up again this time I decided to bantu knot my hair and wear under wig......BEST MOVE I MADE now I see progress even my one little patch in the front is finally growing and Im retaining length.....at first my wig used to look real highLOL but my wigs have adjusted themselves......when you think about it Bantu knots are lil mini buns.  just try different methods of Ps

Posted By: darlinnic
Date Posted: Aug 24 2012 at 2:01am
OP how are you protective styling?
Wigs, weaves, braids, wet bunning???

Date Posted: Aug 24 2012 at 9:17am
Originally posted by Amillion Amillion wrote:

Yeah, this could be the probably but I feel Like i've tried everything. What has worked for you? I've done mini twist (I get tons of breakage with those) I though wearing a high bun with marly hair was working for me until recently I noticed that the crown of my head was ratchet when I stopped wearing that. *Kanye Shrug*

Date Posted: Aug 24 2012 at 9:19am
Originally posted by darlinnic darlinnic wrote:

OP how are you protective styling?
Wigs, weaves, braids, wet bunning???

I've done everything except for wearing extensions, whether it be twists or braids. No weaves though I am itching to get one. lol I think because of my hair length maybe my ends dont "hide" well so they are getting caught by bands and bobby pins. My hair when stretched is collar bone length in the back but pretty short everywhere else.

Date Posted: Aug 24 2012 at 9:38am
Originally posted by cmoniquew cmoniquew wrote:

I don't think she is saying the twist-out is her protective style, but that she gets less breakage from a twist-out than when she protective style.
ohhh ok.. thanks I understand now..

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Aug 24 2012 at 6:29pm
What products are you using to retain moisture in your hair?  Just curious.

-------------
Laws are not written to protect children and women. They are written to protect MEN. - TokyoRose (truncated unfortunately)

Posted By: DeniceDoes
Date Posted: Aug 25 2012 at 12:29pm
When I protective style I need to make sure that I am taking it down every few days to moisturise my hair (by co-washing). Also I heard that a lot of styles that people think of as protective (e.g. doughnut buns) are not actually doing you any favours because they make your ends dry out and cause tension in your hair. I think the Southern Tease bun is supposed to be a good protective style.

Date Posted: Aug 25 2012 at 2:13pm
My ends do seem dry since Ive been doing donut buns for work.

-------------

Date Posted: Aug 25 2012 at 2:44pm
Ooooooo I love the southern tease bun..I had to google it.

-------------

Posted By: Lightangel
Date Posted: Jan 03 2013 at 3:52pm

For my protective styling are techniques that protects the hair (particularly the ends) from rubbing against clothes, weather, excessive manipulation, etc

My hair does not grow faster with PS’ing, it grows at the same rate unless I’m taking vitamins or applying a topical growth air… but PS'ing helps me retaining length, i.e. reduced breakage.

My options are extension braids and weaves. Tried LF but the laced caused itching around the hairline.

There are loads of PS’ing options, I’m sure you’ll find one suitable for you Smile

Good luck Hug

Print Page | Close Window