Print Page | Close Window

City Officials ban Trayvon Mural in NJ

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=336888
Printed Date: Nov 20 2017 at 9:47am

Topic: City Officials ban Trayvon Mural in NJ
Posted By: glamrock
Subject: City Officials ban Trayvon Mural in NJ
Date Posted: Apr 07 2012 at 10:08pm

Graffiti artists Carmelo "Snow" Sigona (left), "Mr. Mustart," and Ray "Demer" Llopez are three of the five artists painted a tribute to Trayvon Martin on the wall of the Messina Deli in Elmwood Park.

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/04/trayvon_martin_mural_in_elmwoo.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2012/04/trayvon_martin_mural_in_elmwoo.html
If you get a chance, watch the video in this link^^^.

A town in Bergen County, NJ is making up city ordinances out of thin air to have a mural for Trayvon Martin removed. A deli owner had the graffiti art mural commissioned for the side of his deli wall. Town officials told him that residents have complained about the mural and that he must take the mural down by today.

The deli owner has demanded to see a copy of the ordinance that they have cited that he has allegedly violated and is standing his ground that the mural will not be removed until he sees proof of a violation.

See article pasted below:

Trayvon Martin mural in Elmwood Park draws mixed reactions
Published: Saturday, April 07, 2012, 7:00 AM     Updated: Saturday, April 07, 2012, 6:44 PM
By Julia Terruso/The Star-Ledger The Star-Ledger

ELMWOOD PARK — Just as the killing of Trayvon Martin is seen in differing ways, so is a mural created as a tribute to the Florida teen.

Artists call the mural in Elmwood Park an expression of solidarity for the young shooting victim, while some neighbors oppose the display, saying it promotes gang activity.

Now town officials say the mural at Messina deli on East 54th street must come down.

"We got multiple complaints from residents in the area," said mayor Richard Mola. "What they told me is they just don’t like what’s up there."

Mola, who said he has not seen the mural, said the building inspector told the artists to paint over the work because it violated local ordinances. He could not specify which ones.

The town’s website defines graffiti as "knowingly vandalizing or defacing property."

The artists had the support of the building’s owner John Quinn. "I want them to use this as a canvas to bring other issues to the public," he said.

The mural includes no gang insignia or symbols, said one of five artists who worked on it. Carmelo "Snow" Sigona said snap judgments about graffiti art mirror false stereotyping of young men in hoodies.

Breanna Savinon, 16, lives in the only house with windows that face the mural.

"It’s creative, it’s everything the town should want," said Savinon who moved here from Manhattan six years ago. "Maybe growing up around real (gang) tags, it’s easier for me to see that this is actual art," she said.

Lawrence Langerlaan, 71, who’s lived 44 years in the neighborhood, called the mayor’s office to complain.

"That type of art goes with gangs," Langeriaan said. "It's a hooded character with no face. How am I supposed to interpret it?"

-------------

Replies:
Posted By: CamiK
Date Posted: Apr 07 2012 at 10:10pm
Why would ppl complain??  Oh yeah,they must be white...

-------------
Last thing I wanna do is hurt you, but its still on my list..

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Apr 07 2012 at 10:10pm
it's nice

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Posted By: SoutherNtellect
Date Posted: Apr 07 2012 at 10:14pm
Seats. They need thEm

-------------

Originally posted by CamiK CamiK wrote:

Why would ppl complain??  Oh yeah,they must be white...

Some elderly folks in town said on the video and in an article that I read that they think that the mural will spur gang activity...what the hell does the mural have to do with gangs? nothing. smh.

It is an election year with municipal elections beginning in May, so local officials are jumping extra high every time that any complaint over anything arises.

-------------

Posted By: BeatriceBean
A beautiful mural with no gang insignia promotes gang activity, huh?

Same type of foolish thinking that made George Zimmermann target and murder Trayvon Martin, if you ask me.

-------------
Life is good!

Posted By: nycdiva357
Date Posted: Apr 07 2012 at 10:19pm
sigh... i was just looking at this on fb...lol

-------------
He follows what I'm saying.. I aint gotta twitter shyt.

Date Posted: Apr 07 2012 at 10:24pm
Im not the type of person that gets riled up easily, but this got under my skin.

-------------

Posted By: Im_oh_so_hott
Date Posted: Apr 07 2012 at 10:28pm
sigh

-------------
BSS?! that's like the dirtiest thing you can say in BHM. Why are you thinking of going Bootleg? - BaileyAlexandria

Posted By: SeducTress
Date Posted: Apr 07 2012 at 10:33pm
I hope that mural annoys THE royal fukk outta dem yt folks. And on that note, tomorrow I will be sure to rock creta girl obnoxiously big, spread the word to my girls, roll out bout 7 deep, get movie tickets to something extra white....like...American Reunion. And sit smack dab in front of them crakkas. Imma make a harmless annoy yt/revenge threadEvil Smile

Posted By: nitabug
Date Posted: Apr 07 2012 at 10:37pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

it's nice

It is. I think it shows a unity between the latino community and black community...

Why would they want this down?

-------------
God forgive me for my brash delivery
But I remember vividly what these streets did to me

Posted By: **Sk!TtLeS B**
Date Posted: Apr 07 2012 at 10:39pm

-------------
Im making a political statement every time I make my ass clap - Ru Paul

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Apr 07 2012 at 10:45pm
Originally posted by SeducTress SeducTress wrote:

I hope that mural annoys THE royal fukk outta dem yt folks. And on that note, tomorrow I will be sure to rock creta girl obnoxiously big, spread the word to my girls, roll out bout 7 deep, get movie tickets to something extra white....like...American Reunion. And sit smack dab in front of them crakkas. Imma make a harmless annoy yt/revenge threadEvil Smile
lol

Please make that thread!

When I am having a day lately and I am in my car, I like to hit my automatic locks while white people walk by. It's fun and a stress reliever.Smile

-------------
<--Classy & Educated O.

"You're telling us your beefing with your bf's mother over $1 ice cream like it was blood diamonds." RickyR

Date Posted: Apr 07 2012 at 10:54pm
Originally posted by nitabug nitabug wrote:

it's nice

It is. I think it shows a unity between the latino community and black community...

yep. a symbol of solidarity in the quest for justice.

in that town, latinos are hated more than blacks so I dont think that the people that complained about the mural even dug that deep into the beauty of the mural and the socially conscious decision of the irish business owner that had the mural created on his building's wall by the latino artists.

my favorite part of the article, "I want them to use this as a canvas to bring other issues to the public," he said".

I'll bet you anything that only 2-3 people in town complained, but they were people with pull when it comes to voting and that has caused the city council & mayor to get all frantic over having the mural covered.

-------------

Posted By: MissinCali
Date Posted: Apr 07 2012 at 10:54pm
I think it's beautiful.

-------------

Posted By: starflower7
Date Posted: Apr 08 2012 at 12:29am
I'm pretty sure he has the right to have his building painted any way he wants.

Posted By: BoutThatLife
Date Posted: Apr 08 2012 at 12:43am
Was the mural too ethnic and scary for them?

-------------
I AM THE AUTHOR OF MY OWN SCRIPT AND I PLAY BY MY RULES.

POSITIVITY + LOVE AND ALL GOOD THINGS SURROUND ME

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Apr 08 2012 at 3:49am

it's nice

in this town?

Date Posted: Apr 08 2012 at 3:51am
Originally posted by starflower7 starflower7 wrote:

I'm pretty sure he has the right to have his building painted any way he wants.

actually you cant.  towns around here have ordinances you cant just do anything to your property (like color of house and inches of lawn)

Date Posted: Apr 08 2012 at 3:54am
you would have to know the town.  i live blocks from this town and the  few hispanics blend in with the white and there are even fewer blacks.  that mural would be an eyesore in the neighborhood.

Posted By: Az~Maverick
Date Posted: Apr 08 2012 at 5:16am
Ermm......Well, I think it's a beautiful tribute.

And on that note,

&lt;img src= 

Posted By: Tbaby
Date Posted: Apr 08 2012 at 5:37am
Cool mural

-------------
Everyone has a role in life. We all can't be CEO's somebody gotta take the orders at Mickey D's & the KFC's -Jewelsync

Posted By: Miss SDY
Date Posted: Apr 08 2012 at 7:53am
The mural is very nice..
I bet if it was a white kid, no one would be offended if a mural was made for him and painted along a wall.. in fact, they would go on and on about how artistic it is.... I'm trying to see how this mural is promoting violence.. I'm so sick of them...

-------------
http://daisypath.com" rel="nofollow">

NL----[SL]----APL----BSB----BSL

Closing in on APL!!!

Posted By: Sinnamon_Mami
Date Posted: Apr 08 2012 at 8:32am
ClapLove the mural and I love the fact that people can see themselves in this young man no matter what color they are.. I'm so proud! but the sad part is, they'll have to make more murals b/c the shootings haven't stopped and it's young men being killed all accross the country...

-------------

Posted By: dcnative
Date Posted: Apr 08 2012 at 10:05am
If I ever need to go to a deli in Elmwood Park, it will be that one.

-------------
Never call the forest that shelters you a jungle.

Posted By: honeybee10
Date Posted: Apr 08 2012 at 10:12am
Originally posted by SeducTress SeducTress wrote:

i totally pictured you and the whole scene .

-------------
In mourning for the sex section...CHOGH for life

Team CHOGH Charter Member

Posted By: honeybee10
Date Posted: Apr 08 2012 at 10:14am
That would make a nice t shirt too. Maybe the proceeds could go to his family

-------------
In mourning for the sex section...CHOGH for life

Team CHOGH Charter Member

Date Posted: Apr 08 2012 at 10:40am
Originally posted by dcnative dcnative wrote:

If I ever need to go to a deli in Elmwood Park, it will be that one.

-------------

Posted By: Claudie
Date Posted: Apr 08 2012 at 12:02pm
The mural is beautiful, I love it.  It is a befitting tribute for wonderful , innocent, deceased Trayvon Martin.   I bet it would not bother them, if the mural is a tribute for a YT person.   

-------------
"A lie has speed, but truth has endurance." - Edgar J. Mohn

Posted By: teendiva
Date Posted: Apr 08 2012 at 1:04pm
I could see how one could mistake Trayvon for a dementor, but I'm still giving them the side eye

-------------
To be yourself in a world that is constantly trying to make you something else, is the greatest accomplishment.
-My dude Emerson

Posted By: PurplePhase
Date Posted: Apr 08 2012 at 2:51pm
beautiful

-------------

PEACE

Date Posted: Apr 08 2012 at 2:59pm
My view is that if someone said, "Look, I paid 850k for my historic victorian home and 13k+ in property taxes and I dont want graffiti seen as ok and for my neighbors' kids to start spray painting round town for the sake of artistic expression", I wouldnt have a problem with their comment.

My problem is that the words 'gang activity' keep getting tossed around which is insane.

-------------

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Apr 09 2012 at 1:06pm
And these crackers want to preserve the pit where the titanic ship was found.....? well since a lot a yt people died i guess it's important! i hope a school of hungry sharks come by while they attempt to do this!

-------------

Posted By: babycakebabe
Date Posted: Jul 10 2013 at 2:29am
Updates
1. Someone painted over the hooded figure in the mural a month after it was painted.
2. The lead artist is an acclaimed gallery featured artist that started his craft in street art.

http://blog.nj.com/ledgerupdates_impact/print.html?entry=/2012/05/controversial_trayvon_martin_m.html" rel="nofollow - http://blog.nj.com/ledgerupdates_impact/print.html?entry=/2012/05/controversial_trayvon_martin_m.html

Trayvon Martin mural defaced in Elmwood Park
Eunice Lee/The Star-Ledger By Eunice Lee/The Star-Ledger
Email the author | Follow on Twitter
on May 14, 2012 at 2:41 PM, updated May 14, 2012 at 5:13 PM

ELMWOOD PARK — A mural created as a tribute to slain Florida teen Trayvon Martin was defaced over the weekend, according to one of its creators.

A photograph provided by Carmelo "Snow" Sigona shows a portion of the mural depicting a faceless individual in a hoodie was apparently painted over using a roller. The new paint appears to be of a shade similar to the original color.

The mural honoring Martin stretches across the side of Messina Deli on East 54th Street and became a hot-button issue after several area residents complained, some citing gang symbolism. A borough building inspector told the artists to paint over the mural, saying it violated a local ordinance. The owner of the building, John Quinn, supported the mural being displayed on his wall.

"Only the hooded character was touched which goes to show us that it wasn’t someone necessarily making a statement about the artwork, but they were obviously displeased (with) the hoodie and the Trayvon reference," Sigona said in an e-mail.

Borough officials could not be reached for comment yesterday.Resident Sally Quinn, who is not related to building owner John Quinn, said she drives past the mural almost everyday but didn’t notice any of the recent damage. She said the artwork is harmless.

"I don’t see a problem with it. I think people are overreacting," said Quinn, 50, who lives five blocks from the mural.

Martin, 17, was shot to death in Sanford, Fla., on Feb. 26 by neighborhood watch volunteer George Zimmerman.

Zimmerman, who claimed self defense, has been charged with second-degree murder and was released last month on $150,000 bond.

Date Posted: Jul 10 2013 at 2:41am

*Joe Iurato dedicated a mural in Elmwood Park to slain Florida teen Trayvon Martin, who was wearing a hoodie.
*Joe Iurato in front of one of his works.

http://www.northjersey.com/arts_entertainment/146571455_Artist_s_hooded_figure_has_new_resonance.html?c=y&page=1#sthash.G3QUzuCV.dpuf" rel="nofollow - http://www.northjersey.com/arts_entertainment/146571455_Artist_s_hooded_figure_has_new_resonance.html?c=y&page=1#sthash.G3QUzuCV.dpuf   ".

Iurato’s hooded self-portraits have new resonance after Trayvon Martin shooting
NorthJersey.com

Joe Iurato started painting a nameless, faceless hoodie-clad figure long before Trayvon Martin was shot and killed on a street in Sanford, Fla.

Joe Iurato dedicated a mural in Elmwood Park to slain Florida teen Trayvon Martin, who was wearing a hoodie.Joe Iurato in front of one of his works."He's actually a self-portrait," Iurato says of his figure. "Every time I paint him, he's me."

Since that tragedy, though, some people have been relating to Iurato's artwork in a whole new way. And his hoodie character is having something of a moment.

Though Iurato says that any likeness to Martin is "purely coincidental," he did recently shoot a photo of himself in a hoodie, carrying a box of Skittles (which Martin had on him when he died), and posted it on the Internet for anyone to use. And he's heard that people have been printing it out and pasting it in Florida and elsewhere.

Iurato and four other graffiti artists –who go by the street names Snow, Demer, Mr. Mustart and 2Tek –were recently invited to paint a wall on East 54th Street in Elmwood Park, his hometown. And the mural spontaneously became a "dedication" to Martin. Across the top, it said, "Trayvon, we got you."

"My character, as always, wound up on the wall. And, as we were painting this …we realized in the moment that it was something we could use to express our thoughts on what happened," says Iurato, who heard late Thursday that the town may have that mural removed. (He noted that graffiti or street art is "often misinterpreted and controversial to begin with.")

On Friday, Mayor Richard Mola said he had no knowledge of the plan and had not even seen the mural. As of press time, the mural was expected to remain through the weekend, then be removed.

Iurato, 39 –a certified sommelier who is The Record's wine columnist –began as a street artist, and his work with hand-cut stencils and spray paint reflects those roots.

Nowadays, he does commissioned work for the likes of the NBA and Nike, and his artwork is featured in galleries. But Iurato travels all over to paint murals in communities that need color and brightness, always with the permission of property owners.

"These are things that I don't do for money, because it's something I feel I can give to the community," Iurato says. "You can express yourself to a larger audience better than you ever possibly could in a gallery or in somebody's home."

The hoodie character he loosely calls "nobody" started appearing in his work about three years ago. "I was going through some really turbulent times. …I had lost my job, I was trying to support a family. Things were really tough," Iurato says. "I tend to paint very personal things, so I started telling my story through this character."

Realizing that many people were in the same tough position, he says, "I took the face out of this character and gave him a hood, and basically he could be anybody."

He soon noticed that people interpreted the character in many ways. "Some looked at it as being very spiritual, religious. Some looked at it as being thuggish. Some looked at it as being a Grim Reaper, something evil," says Iurato. "People have a fear of the unknown. If you can't see a person's eyes, you're immediately threatened.

"I'm the guy in that hood, and I'm the least threatening a person could get," says Iurato, who lives in Cedar Grove with his wife, Shelly, and two young sons.

Iurato does not want to forever be associated with the Florida incident.  "When I paint this character now, will people always look at it and think, 'That's Trayvon?' " he says. "Why such a strange phenomenon, that you put a hood on your head and people are automatically afraid of you?"

Posted By: newdiva1
Date Posted: Jul 10 2013 at 3:02am

it's nice

because it shows a unity between the black and latino communities.

Posted By: juniper angel
Date Posted: Jul 10 2013 at 3:37am
There's white ppl at elm wood park since when and they mad for what they don't ever go to that park any ways it's messed up and their scared. Idk about this whole Spanish and black ppl getting together thing but okay.

Date Posted: Jul 10 2013 at 3:49am
Originally posted by juniper angel juniper angel wrote:

There's white ppl at elm wood park since when and they mad for what they don't ever go to that park any ways it's messed up and their scared.

the mural was in the town elmwood park in bergen county. not in the park, elwmood park in e.o., nj.

Posted By: khivey
Date Posted: Jul 10 2013 at 3:59am
The racist Italians have Bergen County on lock...they don't want that there. They will have to do that in Essex or one of the other southern counties in NJ. 

Posted By: juniper angel
Date Posted: Jul 10 2013 at 4:03am
Originally posted by babycakebabe babycakebabe wrote:

Originally posted by juniper angel juniper angel wrote:

There's white ppl at elm wood park since when and they mad for what they don't ever go to that park any ways it's messed up and their scared.

the mural was in the town elmwood park in bergen county. not in the park, elwmood park in e.o., nj.

Oh ok lol i was about to say

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Jul 10 2013 at 5:46am
B¡tches...

Print Page | Close Window