Print Page | Close Window

Listerine on corn chip smelling hair

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Hair Care
Forum Name: Weaves / Extensions (Newbies)
Forum Description: Discussions on Weaves / Extensions (for Newbies)
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=328867
Printed Date: May 26 2018 at 11:37am

Topic: Listerine on corn chip smelling hair
Posted By: sugabanana
Subject: Listerine on corn chip smelling hair
Date Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 9:08pm
So ladies I bought hair from another BHM'r that already told me ahead that the hair had a smell to it. I thought to myself it can't be that badEmbarrassed. I bought hair so many times from CV's and none of the hair ever had a smell so I wanted to be sure what I was smelling on the hair I had was what you guys considered corn chips. So I bought the hair. Shout out to this BHM'r she shipped this hair like lightning fast.

I really didn't smell anything and I kept smelling and smelling, scratching and sniffing and got nothing. I said maybe its my nose. UNTIL I wet the hair then I said ooooooooooStern Smile now I see what the ladies are talking about. I never ever smelled anything like this before. Its worst than cornchips but thats the only thing you can compare it too. This hair is BEAUTIFUL. I washed it like 4 times. Then it dawned on me. Listerine kills bad breathe germs so let me pour some on the hair. Then I said hell let me soak the hair in 3 cups listernine and half a bowl of water. I really think this did the trick. I then rinsed the hair off then soaked it with suave conditioner. Its still wet but I don't smell anything anymore.

Things i've used so far:
Clarifying shampoo (smell still there)
ACV(smell still there)
Dove shampoo and conditioner(smell still there)
Silicon Shampoo(smell still there)
LISTERINE( Smell gone so far)

Let me know what you guys have used. This is my cornchip challenge and I'm up for it!!!

Replies:
Posted By: so_GLAM
Date Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 9:11pm
Creative

Posted By: mspatty
Date Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 10:00pm
thnx 4 the tip

Posted By: mocharoni
Date Posted: Dec 12 2011 at 11:10pm
I put everything I had into getting the smell out, including Listerine (straight, no chaser in a ziplock bag).

Once I wet the hair again, it smelled like a bad nursing home Unhappy.

I wound up soaking my wig in a dilution of water and Downy for a couple hours.  No more stink Thumbs Up.

-------------
Genarice in spirit, and concious-mineded

Posted By: chatnoir
Date Posted: Dec 13 2011 at 12:26am
LOL LOL at hair that smells like corn chips.  I wonder what in the world chemical is used to give it that smell?

-------------
"Live as if you were to die tomorrow
Learn as if you were to live forever" - Gandhi

Date Posted: Dec 13 2011 at 9:50am
Corn chips really smell better than the smell in this hair(i just coudln't think of anything else). Its makes you kinda wanna vomit if you smell it for too long. I really feel bad for the girls that bought the Genesis hair when she had those batches that had the corn chip smell. I would hate to walk around with that hair smell in the summer time.  Dead 

If the smell comes back I might have to try the downy for a couple of hours. Thanks Ladies

Please fell free to add any other recommendations.

Posted By: rredict
Date Posted: Dec 13 2011 at 10:15am
Yes, that was a good ideal.. I have never received smelling like that. They must be using some really stong chemicals..

Posted By: blkbuttafly
Date Posted: Dec 13 2011 at 11:52pm
I thought i had it gone after all the things you did too. Installed it and had to take it out less than a week later due to smell and too much leaveout with my 4z hair :(

-------------

Posted By: SpoiledSpicy
Date Posted: Dec 14 2011 at 12:55am
Someone said they put it in the washing machine the smell left lol

-------------
Jeremiah 29:11

Posted By: Prettymsdursch
Date Posted: Dec 14 2011 at 6:33am
I bought one virgin weave that was smelling weird another person can't smell it though i think its just me but i realized it gets worse when heat is applied so I actually washed my hair and sprayed Chanel 5 perfume on itEmbarrassed then i started drying it LOL 

Posted By: Lady Law86
Date Posted: Dec 14 2011 at 10:30am
Originally posted by SpoiledSpicy SpoiledSpicy wrote:

Someone said they put it in the washing machine the smell left lol

would this cause tangling? 

Date Posted: Dec 14 2011 at 9:12pm
I doubt, it will cause tangling if you leave it in the rubber band.

Posted By: redbaby3
Date Posted: Dec 15 2011 at 8:38am
dying the hair gets the smell out,it works for me.

Date Posted: Dec 15 2011 at 12:25pm
Ok so ladies the hair completely dried and it still has a small very faint smell in the hair so I sprayed perfume in it.

I'll wet it again and see if the smell comes back and if it does i'll try soaking it in fabric softner and see if it workes.

Last resort will be the washer.. If I try the washer I'll put the hair in a champagne bag to prevent tangling.

Posted By: DivaMelody
Date Posted: Dec 15 2011 at 12:43pm
Mine had a faint "corn chip "smell. Nothign liek I expected based on what I read in reviews.   It went away after using a clarifying shampoo soak and wash and then moisturizing shampoo and conditioner

Posted By: brieSFCA
Date Posted: Mar 27 2013 at 6:38pm
When I first received my frontal from Romen it had that corn chip smell to it also..  it wasnt potent but it was strong enough.  I used that argan shampoo + conditioner from Walgreens and cleaned the hair for a week straight and the smell is not there.

Thank gOd! Clap

Posted By: JustMe90
Date Posted: Mar 27 2013 at 7:57pm
Great tip!

Posted By: shantel75
Date Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 12:56am
I heard about this...thanks for the tip.

Posted By: pebbles251
Date Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 12:12pm

you want to know if the hair stinks....go dancing and sweat then smell it. The smell always come back.

Posted By: brieSFCA
Date Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 1:46pm
@pebbles251
lol, soo true.  I had a similar experience at the gym

Posted By: darlinnic
Date Posted: Mar 28 2013 at 8:51pm
@pebble LMAO

Posted By: Cream1970
Date Posted: Mar 29 2013 at 9:50am
I hung my funky bundles of hair outside on a sunny, breezy day and the smell vanished in hours. That was the only thing that worked. I soaked them in a baking soda water solution overnight, which helped but "airing them out" worked like a charm.

Posted By: shantel75
Date Posted: Apr 02 2013 at 6:29pm
I ordered some QHP and plan to use Dr. Bonners peppermint soap. I'll let you all know if it works.

Posted By: kppoohbear500
Date Posted: May 06 2013 at 11:27pm
Please because I am about to get some and trying to work with the smell is hard. 

Print Page | Close Window