Print Page | Close Window

BRACES.....

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=325045
Printed Date: Jan 20 2018 at 1:40pm

Topic: BRACES.....
Posted By: redbone.savage
Subject: BRACES.....
Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 12:59am
SO I HAVE BEEN THINKING ABOUT GETTING BRACES, WELL I NEED THEM BUT NEVER GOT AROUND TO GETTING THEM. BUT I WANT TO HEAR SOME OF YOUR EXPERIENCES W/ BRACES & ANY TIPS ARE WELCOMED. THANKS LADIES , SMOOCHES * Embarrassed

Replies:
Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 1:01am
Have you looked into Invisaligns?

-------------
Laws are not written to protect children and women. They are written to protect MEN. - TokyoRose (truncated unfortunately)

Posted By: aNgElIc*SoUl
Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 1:08am
Originally posted by NARSAddict NARSAddict wrote:

A lot of people told me those don't work

-------------
I was here...
I lived, I loved
I was here...
I did, I've done, everything that I wanted
And it was more than I thought it would be
I will leave my mark so everyone will know
I was here...

Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 1:09am
Originally posted by aNgElIc*SoUl aNgElIc*SoUl wrote:

I'VE ALSO HEARD THAT....

-------------

Posted By: ImThatDiva
Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 1:09am
Don't they have that option to have braces behind your teeth. Some adult at my church got them...Sorry I've never had/needed braces so I can't really help... don't get clear ones though...After a while they look yellow(i've seen them on people and it's gross Dead)

-------------
Mrs.ImThatModdlessDiva
TWERKIN' MY WAY DOWNTOWN
CARS DRIVE PAST
DRIVERS CRASH AND I'M LOWDOWN
-Midna

Posted By: ScorpioLuv
Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 1:11am
Never heard that but I've heard that they are expensive. I'd go with the metal ones where they were on the inside of your teeth 

-------------
Sons of bitches,smh

Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 1:14am
Originally posted by ImThatDiva ImThatDiva wrote:

Don't they have that option to have braces behind your teeth. Some adult at my church got them...Sorry I've never had/needed braces so I can't really help... don't get clear ones though...After a while they look yellow(i've seen them on people and it's gross Dead)
YES, I'VE HEARD THEY ARE CALLED INCOGNITO OR LINGUAL BRACES(HIDDEN BRACES) BUT THANKS

-------------

Posted By: babelipsss
Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 2:58am
I had braces when I was 12 for about a year.  I had the regular old train tracks.  It wasn't so bad because a lot of kids had them.  They were sore for a while in the begining but that went away pretty fast.  I couldn't eat certain foods like Doritos.  I had to brush my teeth a LOT.  The best part was everytime I went to the dentist I got to change my rubber band colors. 

Posted By: tatee
Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 4:18am
theyre worth it if its what you want.  get a second opinion if they start talking about removing any teeth.  be careful about dentist claiming to move the teeth really fast.
although i opted for Damon braces (speed braces) i dont think they were worth the added expense.

i just finished with all my dental work this summer and i found before pics and almost cried because actually forgot  they'd looked like before.

Posted By: joy6899
Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 4:42am
i had braces for about 3 yrs i think. it wasnt bad and i looked cute in themEmbarrassed
i still ate everything i wanted, even though i wasnt suppose to. what i did hate was if a wire got loose or something and stabbed me in the side of my cheek and i had to use that wax(that didnt work) to cover it till i went to get it fixed.

i did have to get my wisdom teeth removedDead did not like @all.

getting them taken off was scary. i was afraid the woman doing it was gonna hit my gums, but she didntCool

i only got picked on once in my life for wearing them, but i told that guy to quit messing with me b/c its not my fault his parents couldnt afford themCool he left me alone after thatLOL

-------------

Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 6:57am
I have invisalign

-------------
My mind explodes

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 8:02am
http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=296035 - http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=296035

-------------
For Bebe88: "Ooooh-- short answer yes with an if, long answer no with a but…" - Rev Lovejoy

Posted By: RoxieDream
Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 8:49am
I had braces when I was in 5th grade and wore a retainer for forever lol

They didn't bother me as much as they clearly bothered a lot of other people .... and my teeth needed MAD straightening. It was a little uncomfortable when they changed the bands at first but nothing painful and the rubberbands felt weird lol

I talked to a guy who loved braces for some reason though lol .... and oddly enough, i kinda think they're cute on some adults as well lol

-------------
<< Swerve >>

Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=296035 - http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=296035

THANKS FOR LINK Smile

-------------

Posted By: PlainJane
Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 3:01pm
Consult some 5th graders?

Posted By: niikel.bagz
Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 3:10pm
i'm wearing them now. had them for about two months. not as painful as people make it seem. although it does hurt like hell the first couple of weeks. i have a tongue crib too which was just as painful the first couple of weeks. the wax definitely helps. i wore it all the time at first but now i dont need it. 

the worst part for me is when they put the big thick ass spacers between your teeth to make more room to work. sh*t was horrible. i get a mean lisp at times but other than that i barely notice them.

Posted By: PlainJane
Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by RoxieDream RoxieDream wrote:

I had braces when I was in 5th grade and wore a retainer for forever lol

They didn't bother me as much as they clearly bothered a lot of other people .... and my teeth needed MAD straightening. It was a little uncomfortable when they changed the bands at first but nothing painful and the rubberbands felt weird lol

I talked to a guy who loved braces for some reason though lol .... and oddly enough, i kinda think they're cute on some adults as well lol

I think they're VERY cute on adults.

I'll say:

They hurt, esp. after getting them tighten. It feels like ALL of your teeth are loose, and you can barely bite down on anything.
They scratch the inside of your cheek.
Sometimes brackets come flying off and the dentist looks at you like it's your fault.
They store nasty food particles.

Posted By: sistagal
Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 3:40pm
I've been thinking of getting some as well. As soon as I can afford the bill. Might as well have them this year when I'm not doing much dating lol

Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 4:21pm
IM SO SCARED OF THEM COMING LOOSE & CUTTING THE INSIDE OF MY MOUTH :((

-------------

Posted By: Miss B
Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 4:29pm
I have been thinking about them too.

My teeth are not jacked up, but there are some things that I see that I'd like corrected. I figure may as well fix it now while its minor, then wait til 60 and my teeth are doing the wave.

Smh. First world problems, I know, I know.....

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by redbone.savage redbone.savage wrote:

THANKS FOR LINK Smile
You're welcome. And no worries about them coming off. Just be careful what/how you eat. I was pretty rough with mine (brittle, gum, taffy) and they stayed stuck on.

-------------
For Bebe88: "Ooooh-- short answer yes with an if, long answer no with a but…" - Rev Lovejoy

Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 4:32pm
Originally posted by PlainJane PlainJane wrote:

Consult some 5th graders?

hell you can ask kids younger than that

I thought I got an early start when I had them in 5th grade .... my sister had third grade students who had them. I didn't even know they had adult teeth at that age

-------------
<< Swerve >>

Posted By: MinnyMiss16
Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 4:33pm
-I had braces for three years; got them my senior year of high school

-I loved my new smile until my teeth started shifting. My retainer was an invisilign tray and that crap didnt work, so now im back to a metal retainer which has worked wonders.

-Braces arent that bad and they dont make your lips look any fatter. It was a good decision. =)

Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 4:54pm
I haven't worn my retainer in years, I need to go to the orthodontist and get fitted for a new one

-------------
<< Swerve >>

Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by MinnyMiss16 MinnyMiss16 wrote:

-I had braces for three years; got them my senior year of high school

-I loved my new smile until my teeth started shifting. My retainer was an invisilign tray and that crap didnt work, so now im back to a metal retainer which has worked wonders.

-Braces arent that bad and they dont make your lips look any fatter. It was a good decision. =)
LOL YESS CAUSE MY LIPS ARE ALREADY BIG ENOUGH LOL

-------------

Posted By: James Avery
Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 5:18pm
Originally posted by redbone.savage redbone.savage wrote:

Originally posted by aNgElIc*SoUl aNgElIc*SoUl wrote:

I'VE ALSO HEARD THAT....
A buddy of mine had it and it worked for him. He had a jacked up grill but the invisalign straightened them sh*ts out tbh.

Posted By: AfricanQueen
Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 7:39pm
I have lingual braces (the ones behind your teeth). i've had them for 7 months......and i've got like 13-17 more months to go Cry. i can't wait till it all gets done arghhhhhhh......had to get 4 teeth pulled..so it's going to be a long while
They are just uncomfortable sometimes. i miss having nothing in my mouth LOL..but i'm sure it will be worth it in the end. 
They were mad expensive too!! but i am to vain to get braces on my front teeth at my age lol..

Date Posted: Oct 29 2011 at 12:12am
THANKS FOR EVERYONE'S INPUT Smile

-------------

Posted By: MsJennifer
Date Posted: Oct 29 2011 at 1:04am
I'm planning on getting braces in January to close this gap...

-------------

Date Posted: Dec 01 2011 at 9:15pm

THANKS FOR ALL THE ANSWERS ? WHAT COLORS WOULD YOU RECOMMEND ?

-------------

Posted By: danieb23
Date Posted: Dec 01 2011 at 10:45pm
You don't have to have any set colors, you change them every time you get them tightened. Green is always the prettiest color imo. Either way, be sure to stay away from yellow lol.

Posted By: honeyb87
Date Posted: Dec 01 2011 at 11:09pm
I want to get braces too, but I need a job and insurance first lol. 

-------------
Going through a quarter life crisis. Judge me if you will. No fcks will be given though.

Don't call a b*tch a b*tch unless you like the b*tch

Date Posted: Dec 02 2011 at 3:17am
Originally posted by honeyb87 honeyb87 wrote:

it you're over 19 most insurances won't cover braces anyway.  try going to a dental school the cost is about 2/3 less.  i wish i had known that before i had gotten mineLOL

Posted By: funkydiva2
Date Posted: Dec 02 2011 at 10:29am
I'm getting braces in Jan 2012.  I've already setup my Flex spending acct through my job.  But yeah, most insurance comapnies don't cover for adults.  I'm getting the damon braces in clear.  See attached link:

http://damonbraces.com/products/damon-clear/index.php" rel="nofollow - http://damonbraces.com/products/damon-clear/index.php

What sold me on trying these is that they don't have the rubber bands like traditional metal braces and that they have quicker results where you don't have to wear them as long.  Also, after clicking on link, if you scroll down to the bottom of the page, you will see a group of people and you can position your mouse over each person to guess if they are wearing braces or not (basically showing you that these braces are more visually appealing than traditional braces)

Posted By: spiffysabrina
Date Posted: Dec 02 2011 at 10:51am
as for invisaline groupon be having 40-65% off specials...

Posted By: alynxx
Date Posted: Dec 02 2011 at 10:57am
I have invisalign and they are fantastic! I had a large central gap that is now non existent. I'm now just doing my refininement trays then I will have my teeth whitened in the new year. Will also get a retainer to wear at night to get the bone in place. 

-------------
I swear that BHM is a blessing and a curse.

Posted By: brittsbee
Date Posted: Dec 02 2011 at 11:08am

Invisalign wasn't an option for me.  I need too much work done.  My teeth weren't jacked but the structure of my mouth was going to cause problems.  I didn't have any room for my wisdom teeth to grow in (teeth were already in that spot), so I had to get 4 teeth pulled in the front.  My orthodontist shifted all of my teeth forward, added some thing to the roof of my mouth, and filed my teeth down.

I have a beautiful smile! If I could get braces again I sure would...I loved them! I had them for about 4.5 years and I contantly had chains and rubberbands.

-------------
Studying for the CPA exam!!!

Join Swagbucks and win FREE money http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/busybee88

Avi: RHO Afro KC

Posted By: brittsbee
Date Posted: Dec 02 2011 at 11:12am
If you get braces make sure you wear your retainer!!

-------------
Studying for the CPA exam!!!

Join Swagbucks and win FREE money http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/busybee88

Avi: RHO Afro KC

Posted By: Regalness
Date Posted: Dec 02 2011 at 12:03pm

I am up here kicking myself now.  I am in braces for the 2nd time.  First time was Sept '06 - Oct '10.  I messed around and elected to get the clear ICE brackets and they don't move your teeth as effectively as the traditional metal ones.  So towards the end of my treatment I was switched to the metal ones.  I just a had an overjet and a gap between my two front teeth.  It is all fixed now but I don't think the doc was completely happy with his work so I am in them again ( he said 6months) and we are trying to perfect it. Free of charge.

I am in pain now (particularly when I eat) because he just put a powerchain on yesterday.  I forgot how painful it can be.  I should be good in a couple of days.  I say go for it, and go the traditional route!!! I sure wish I would have done all this earlier.

Date Posted: Dec 02 2011 at 4:47pm
i am six months into my invisalign treatment

-------------
My mind explodes

Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 10:47am
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

Originally posted by honeyb87 honeyb87 wrote:

it you're over 19 most insurances won't cover braces anyway.  try going to a dental school the cost is about 2/3 less.  i wish i had known that before i had gotten mineLOL

Sorry to bump this old thread but I'm looking at some schools now LOL Stern Smile

-------------
Going through a quarter life crisis. Judge me if you will. No fcks will be given though.

Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 11:27am
damn girl, your teeth couldve been straight by nowLOL

Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 11:31am
http://www.georgiahealth.edu/dentalmedicine/patientservices/becomingapatient.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.georgiahealth.edu/dentalmedicine/patientservices/becomingapatient.html

Posted By: Luv2Teach
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 11:35am
i had braces in middle and high school......i was very hard headed and stopped wearing my retainer at least when I sleep like I was supposed to a few years ago. I've noticed my teeth starting to shift a bit so I'm going to look into getting invisalign very soon before it gets worse. 

So please wear your retainers people!!!

-------------
Jan. 1, 2012-----227
Jan. 15, 2012----222

Posted By: Luv2Teach
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 11:39am

http://www.georgiahealth.edu/dentalmedicine/patientservices/becomingapatient.html" rel="nofollow - http://www.georgiahealth.edu/dentalmedicine/patientservices/becomingapatient.html

Thanks for posting this! I'll make that hour and half drive to Augusta. 

-------------
Jan. 1, 2012-----227
Jan. 15, 2012----222

Posted By: MizzAmirah
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 12:17pm
I'm think about getting something done to reduce my over bite. I think I have a slight over-bite. I don't really know about dental stuff anyway, but I know I DON'T visible metal in my mouth.

-------------

Posted By: Lhdc2011
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 12:34pm
I'll get getting them again soon sighhh

-------------
Domin

Posted By: iSMILE13
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 12:36pm
7 years later and I still wear my retainer

-------------
Be humble or get him humbled

Ignore typos...autocorrect won't let me be great

Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 12:42pm
i currently have invisalign. Happy with it

-------------
My mind explodes

Posted By: Lhdc2011
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 12:51pm
Be****

-------------
Domin

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 12:52pm
My Son got the invisaligns and they do in 6 months what braces do in 2 years. He had a quarter inch gap 6 months ago, it's completely closed now...

Posted By: Alias_Avi
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 1:02pm
HOLY CRAP! Shocked

How much of a cost difference is it!?!????

Originally posted by Bored w/Out Me? Bored w/Out Me? wrote:

My Son got the invisaligns and they do in 6 months what braces do in 2 years. He had a quarter inch gap 6 months ago, it's completely closed now...

Posted By: missdeeluxe
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 1:26pm
I wish Invisalign would've existed when I had braces back in the day.
I had em for 4 years.

The end results were great, my teeth are straight and have stayed that way even without wearing my retainer (oops lol)
However I've had a lot of long term problems resulting from having them on so long.

Just choose your dentist/orthodontist wisely!

Posted By: rsslove
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 1:47pm
Originally posted by iSMILE13 iSMILE13 wrote:

7 years later and I still wear my retainer

I still wear mine and they are invisalign retainers.  Out of my braces for almost 3 years!!!

Posted By: alynxx
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 2:07pm
I am at the end of my course of Invisalign and it is the best money I ever spent! 

-------------
I swear that BHM is a blessing and a curse.

Posted By: Yardgirl
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:19pm
I plan to get them maybe next year

-------------

Posted By: Bored w/Out Me?
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 3:44pm
Originally posted by Alias_Avi Alias_Avi wrote:

HOLY CRAP! Shocked

How much of a cost difference is it!?!????

Originally posted by Bored w/Out Me? Bored w/Out Me? wrote:

Its around the same price as braces I think. Total cost for invisalign was $5700.00, He's still on My Health insurance so Insurance paid $3000.00. My Son paid $2700.00 out of pocket.

Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 7:43pm
I'm looking at invisalign now instead of traditional

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 7:44pm

damn girl, your teeth couldve been straight by nowLOL

I couldn't afford it Cry
Whyyyy do they have to be sooo expensiveCry

-------------

Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 7:45pm
Originally posted by Luv2Teach Luv2Teach wrote:

Thanks for posting this! I'll make that hour and half drive to Augusta. 

gurlllll.....I contacted the lady to see if they were accepting patients for adult orthodontic work.

-------------

Posted By: Ladybird0724
Date Posted: Jan 05 2013 at 10:18pm
choose a really good ortho.

I didn't mind braces, I wore mine for 3yrs when I was in college. it could be awkward b/c I look really young and w/ braces, I looked 15. very awkward when you have HS guys hit on you Confused

I don't think that everyone can get invisaline...I have heard it depends on how much work your teeth need.

when you are done, wear your retainer. don't skimp on it.

-------------
It is said it takes seven years
to grow completely new skin cells.
To think, this year I will grow
into a body you never will
have touched.
— Brett Elizabeth Jenkins

Posted By: Becky
Date Posted: Jan 06 2013 at 2:50am
I say - get them. It was one of the best things I ever did for myself.

I don't know how old you are but it's never too late. My teeth were straight but everyone in my familiy has a small gap between their front 2 teeth - it was not that big but it drove me nuts.Ouch

I thought about it for years but at age 31 - I had them installed. My company's health insurance paid for it 100%. They only put the old fashioned 'train tracks' on my first front 8 teeth and only for 6 months which completely closed that gap. (Actually, this inspired several of my co-workers to get braces!)

Then a few years later .. the gap came back. I was bad about wearing my retainer too .. so wear it!

By then I was with another company and they paid for this new work completely too. Tongue This dentist explained that I had a thick piece of cartilege (something like that) between my two front teeth and that's why the gap between my two front teeth gradually came back. So even wearing the retainer .. I would have had problems keeping that gap from coming back.

So he performed surgery and removed that bit of gum and then he put me back into braces again (the same front 8 teeth) for another 6 months.

Afterwards, he cemented a bit of wire on the back of my front 2 teeth so that MAKES SURE the gap cannot return.Smile

So my teeth are perfect IMO.

Print Page | Close Window