Forum Description: Discussions on Texturizers
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=318220
Printed Date: Jul 21 2019 at 12:05pm

Topic: Just for Me Softener
Posted By: iGotSunshine
Subject: Just for Me Softener
Date Posted: Aug 10 2011 at 12:11pm
Has anyone used the Just for Me softener "texturizer"

I'm thinking of putting some on my edges for my next sew in, in order to get them to lay down a little sleeker...

If you did use it or know someone who did, what's the experience?
How long did you keep it on?

-------------
“Don't be in a hurry to condemn because he doesn't do what you do or think as you think or as fast. There was a time when you didn't know what you know today.”
― Malcolm X

Replies:
Posted By: Daphne Lewis
Date Posted: Aug 15 2011 at 12:24am
i did it once and i liked it ok . i mostly poured all the oil that comes with the box into the relaxer.  just make sure you pay attention cause it will make your hair straight like a full relaxer in no time.  Also i prefer the regular box perm and i put half the activator in and 3 tsp of olive oil.  It takes a lot slower so i don't over process 

Posted By: babyk94
Date Posted: Aug 15 2011 at 4:42pm
This is the only thing I use. I use like an aplicator bottle to put it on my new growth only. I love it, my hair is very curly but, still easy to straighten. I have a lot of volume aswell..but I always did sooo.. hehe.

Posted By: modelbusiness82
Date Posted: Aug 21 2011 at 6:04pm
I'm considering using this softener too. I don't think it'll do much for defining curl, but my 3c/4a/4b hair likes to tangle on itself a lot - so softening the texture a bit will - at the least - make it easier to detangle. Right now if I wear my own hair out I need to detangle daily or else I'm in for a world of hurt.

-------------
digital entertainment marketer -
BASM Blog: www.bigapplestyle.com

Posted By: Allure.
Date Posted: Sep 28 2011 at 9:02am
this girl uses it and her curl pattern is gorgeous

-------------

Posted By: akadiva
Date Posted: Oct 02 2011 at 10:28am
Be careful Angry this stuff staightened my 4a hair in 10 minutes.  It works very fast.  Never again.  I had split ends and  my hair was a HAM. I  had to cut at least 4 inches. 

Posted By: IrisaK
Date Posted: Oct 25 2011 at 11:22am
I use it on my 4a/3c hair and it straightens it like a relaxer.  My hair wasn't damaged but I would think adding most of the oil to the bottle like a previous poster said would help slow down the processing time.  If you don't want your hair straight remember not to smooth only comb though with a comb with VERY large teeth.

Posted By: samiro
Date Posted: Oct 29 2011 at 9:01am
I used this and it worked amazingly. Because I didn't comb or smooth it (read the directions people), my hair was and still is curly. The only parts I combed or smoothed were my edges and that's the only part that straightened. My curls didn't loosen at all (weird) but its no longer frizzy which is amazing. And its much easier to comb.

-------------
I'm a peacock, you gotta let me fly!

Apl - {BSB}-BSl - mbl - wL - hl-tbl

Posted By: SN2BPHD
Date Posted: Nov 13 2011 at 11:40am
I just put one in. I love it. It took my 4a and changed it to a 3c. I slicked down the edges, and could have left it in longer, as I can see a few curls I worked with first showing a nicer curl, but I was a little afraid. I have learned that the issue must could have been having is that they are not reading the directions. 
It says use a large tooth comb, and section and apply to one inch sections, then comb through. I think folks are using small tooth combs, and not giving themselves that full 1 inch between sections. I have normal hair, which takes a regular relaxer. 
This was the first texlax I have ever put in. I now cannot see myself using anything else (at least for now). I am normally a weave wearer, and fight my full afro after a take down. I end up with gobs of hair when combing, and have to fight through the fro. Now, I can run my fingers through it, and won't have to press it before my install. 

Posted By: naomiluv21
Date Posted: Nov 16 2011 at 2:39pm
Originally posted by akadiva akadiva wrote:

Be careful Angry this stuff staightened my 4a hair in 10 minutes.  It works very fast.  Never again.  I had split ends and  my hair was a HAM. I  had to cut at least 4 inches. 

Wow... sorry to hear that I would never believe a softener could do that

Posted By: Kurlie Gurl
Date Posted: Jan 16 2012 at 8:43am
I am a new member and  just joined, so this is my first post. I have 3c hair and have been using the Just For Me Texturizer for over a year. I was previously a micro braid wearer for several years and when my hair became too long I switched to 3/4 weave with micros on top and sides. When I texturized my 3c hair became very loose to like a 3b4 and I love the product. Sometimes I use virgin olive oil on my ends when I touch up new growth with the  Just for Me. I have to be careful not to comb it too much while doing touch ups, or it will straighten out like Michael Jackson-type curls (wavy-straight). Hope this helps. PS: I love this forum!

Posted By: Carolinadoll
Date Posted: Jan 17 2012 at 2:28pm
I would be extremely careful and like many others have advised "please read the instructions". I used the Just For Me Texture softener on my edges and leave out and it was a complete nightmare. My leave out did turn out very soft and curly (from a 4b to a 3c), but my edges were another story. They were soft and sleek for about a month, in which after that they broke off tremendously, hence a year later they are still growing back in. Good luck! Wink

Posted By: BoutThatLife
Date Posted: Mar 06 2012 at 12:58pm
I used it yesterday Loving the results, I only wish I did it sooner Big smile

It took me 6-7 minutes to apply and I left it on about 14 minutes in total. Thats longer than they say to use even for kinky hair on the box but my hair is very resistant to processing and I wanted a wavier look.  I smoothed my hair a lot, especially around the sections of my hair that are the most coarse.

The sunflower oil they provide is amazing, it protects your hair and prevents your hair from feeling stripped. You know that stripped harsh feeling you get after using some relaxers? This is still a relaxer though! The advertisement is slick, but it is like a mild kiddie perm IMO it could damage if you're not careful like w/ any perm but it is better than the usual to me.

I went from a coarse, dence 3c-4a-4b blend  to a very manageable 3c-3b

-------------
I AM THE AUTHOR OF MY OWN SCRIPT AND I PLAY BY MY RULES.

POSITIVITY + LOVE AND ALL GOOD THINGS SURROUND ME

Posted By: LIZZETTE81
Date Posted: Mar 06 2012 at 6:28pm
Originally posted by Carolinadoll Carolinadoll wrote:

I would be extremely careful and like many others have advised "please read the instructions". I used the Just For Me Texture softener on my edges and leave out and it was a complete nightmare. My leave out did turn out very soft and curly (from a 4b to a 3c), but my edges were another story. They were soft and sleek for about a month, in which after that they broke off tremendously, hence a year later they are still growing back in. Good luck! Wink

JUST FOR ME was NOT for me. I had pretty hair after the hair party.......3-4 days later my hair was a H.A.M, I had to wig up for about a month (shedding was awful). When I see this product I RUN fast to another aisle....flashback of what it did to my hairShockedDeadAngry

Posted By: stevievi
Date Posted: Apr 20 2012 at 11:25pm
I used this a few times. Do not add water only the oil that comes with it and PLEASE read directions. If you it comb it straight like a perm then it will be straight,not curly. You only want to relaxe the curls. I have 4c hair very soft and spongy. I only leave it in for 4 or 5 minutes. Timed. I once told my friend this told her i only want to leave it on for 5 minutes, she thought she was doing to do it like a perm and and she left in on for like 10 minutes, needless to say, it was very over processed at I spent the first month washing my hair down the drain, finally i just cut of 10 inches, and my hair has never been the same. I would not recommend leaving it in for 14 minutes. Don't comb it straight. Don't leave it ono long. Read the directions. Know your hair.

Date Posted: Apr 22 2012 at 4:03am
I dont think this lasts very long though. I am going to buy another box soon and do it again. 

Posted By: Marie2Dessy
Date Posted: May 20 2012 at 9:55am
The problem I had with this product was touch ups. You can't not get any product on your ends so everytime I did a touch up my already processed hair would become straighter. This would look really bad when my new growth started coming out. I actually loved my hair the first time I tried this product on virgin hair. If there was a way to keep the already processed ends from being further straightened I would do it again. Btw, I did take measures to protect my ends with oil and other products. You can't avoid the contact especially during the wash out.

Posted By: peaceloveandcurls
Date Posted: Jun 18 2012 at 10:24pm
Can someone please assist me? My hair has been heat damaged from a flat iron. The hair is straight in some parts and loose wave in others. I can't even get my old curly products to make a curl. Can I texlax to get my hair back to a curly state?

Posted By: Carolinadoll
Date Posted: Jun 19 2012 at 8:41am
Peaceloveandcurls - 
I would say no...and I say this because typically a texture softener such as Just for Me or any form of texlax/texturizer was created to "loosen" or relax the curl pattern or make the hair "more tamable". I don't foresee it bring hair back to a curly state especially if there are signs of heat damage...my beliefs is that this will only come with time, care, less/no heat and no chemical. Using a product such as that will only make the pattern that you have looser or eventually even straighter. 
I am no professional stylist, but just based on experience. Good luck though...:)

Posted By: samiro
Date Posted: Jun 19 2012 at 9:53am
Originally posted by peaceloveandcurls peaceloveandcurls wrote:

Can someone please assist me? My hair has been heat damaged from a flat iron. The hair is straight in some parts and loose wave in others. I can't even get my old curly products to make a curl. Can I texlax to get my hair back to a curly state?

Try doing protein treatments and see if they help. If they don't, then you probably have permanent damage.

-------------
I'm a peacock, you gotta let me fly!

Apl - {BSB}-BSl - mbl - wL - hl-tbl

Posted By: thebombdotkom
Date Posted: Jun 25 2012 at 10:37pm
I used this product my hair and did it in sections, didn't smooth it and washed out after 3-4 minutes. It's made my hair much more manageable and defined my curls a little more. Oh, and I'm a 4a. 

-------------
Starting Length: Neck
Current Length: Longest layer @ WL
Short Term/2013 Goal: Full Waist Length
Ultimate Goal: Full Hip Length

Posted By: Naturalchick30
Date Posted: Jun 26 2012 at 5:19am

This can be acheived with a regular relaxer.  I use motions on my edges for about 5 minutes just so that they will lay down smooth for straight weaves.  The rest of my hair is natural 4a/4b.

Posted By: Coiled up
Date Posted: Jul 07 2012 at 1:08am
Do you stretch your texlax time? Maybe that will give you rough new growth to work with so less overlapping. Just a suggestion, I'm in noway a professional

Posted By: Maxiebaby
Date Posted: Aug 16 2012 at 8:16pm
I put vaseline all over the parts I dont want texlaxed when I do my touch ups

Posted By: SoulSister87
Date Posted: Aug 17 2012 at 10:47pm
I've used it before, and it definitely made my hair easier to flat iron, but I did have some breakage. As mentioned above it does process very quickly, so you won't need to leave it on very long for your edges. It also smells pretty good for a texture softener. :) good luck

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Sep 25 2012 at 1:38am
For those that used this and technically overprocessed your hair, would adding an oil help with the overprocessing?  Just so that you have enought time to work it into the hair?

-------------
Laws are not written to protect children and women. They are written to protect MEN. - TokyoRose (truncated unfortunately)

Date Posted: Sep 27 2012 at 10:08pm
The oil they give you helps but if you want to add some more, it will process even slower

-------------
I AM THE AUTHOR OF MY OWN SCRIPT AND I PLAY BY MY RULES.

POSITIVITY + LOVE AND ALL GOOD THINGS SURROUND ME

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Sep 29 2012 at 10:56am
Originally posted by BoutThatLife BoutThatLife wrote:

The oil they give you helps but if you want to add some more, it will process even slower

At least it will lessen the risk of overprocessing, no?

-------------
Laws are not written to protect children and women. They are written to protect MEN. - TokyoRose (truncated unfortunately)

Date Posted: Sep 29 2012 at 5:53pm
My hair is finally getting to HEALTHY! I'm getting my routine down, so happy I texlaxed at the start of my 2nd hhj and I got a really great trim (damn near a cut but I didn't care). I'm dc'n every week, I combine my protein & moisture tgthr (my hair is/was starved for protein but due to time or lack there of I add oils & ors replenish to my dc protein treatment every week and co wash. Then every 2 weex I do a wonderful hot oil treatment ( I don't have a dryer so I greenhouse. My hair is responding gr8! When I clarify I use no sulfate shpoo or acv...however!!!!! V05 has a clarifying conditioner that is grrrrreat! Non drying but gets all the dirt and grease out...50-99 cents depending where u go. My ng is so soft and manageable, shedding virtually nun, breakage nun!!!!! I Blv my trim contributed a lot to myhealthy hair. I also adapted the concept NO HEAT! So I'm bunning even with a small bun I make it work!

My staples satin bonnet, v05 clarify condish, tressemme silky condish, fructis trpl nutrition or suave waterfall mist 2x moisture for co-washes, acv for clarifying, RAW abs for poo when i want suds but still sulfate free, ORS replenishing condi, JBCO usually lavendar, coconut oil, proclaim 7 oil, Greek yogurt, eggs, ORS mayonnaise and/or cholesterol (depends on my $), 100% glycerin, honey, plastic caps, apogee 2 min recon.

*i don't use all at once, I usually only mix 3 maybe 4 tgther or in a treatment. I found co-washing 2xs a week was too time consuming so one day a week I dedicate to my hair and it works out gr8 and less manipulation for my hair.

For my daily sprit- roux leave in #619 vile (comes in 3s), aphogee vitam complex or infusium vitamin complex distilled water and/or aloe Vera juice, a hit of any oily handy.

Thanx to this forum/Hairlista/you tube/BHM I'm gtn my coils together! I thank y'all!

Date Posted: Sep 29 2012 at 6:23pm
I also take biotin & msm!!!! I'm exercising and eating more consciously! I'm praying this time next year I'm just as happy and still committed! But I know texlaxing is my saving grace!

Posted By: shanelle_88
Date Posted: Oct 29 2012 at 4:30pm
CAN I USE THIS PRODUCT WITH PERM RODS TO ACHEIVE A CURLY PERM-ISH LOOK?

Date Posted: Oct 29 2012 at 6:23pm
Ummmm, with the product? I would say no. It's not like a Jheri curl. However after you have completed the texturizing process and its time to style then go for it. I'm quit fond of rod/flex rod sets "look". Let me repeat...do not rod as you are texturizing! I'm hoping I'm understanding your question and I hope I've answered you question. If not, I'm sorry but I'm sure others will be able to. Good luck!!!

Posted By: GLAMAFROMNY
Date Posted: Nov 01 2012 at 8:42pm
Did any of you guys experience reverting with just for me softener?

-------------
GOD 1st!

Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 2:47pm

Reverting um no it chemically alters your hair texture so it won't revert.

Posted By: GLAMAFROMNY
Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 3:33pm
I noticed some ladies on youtube who have obvious reverting

-------------
GOD 1st!

Date Posted: Nov 03 2012 at 6:59pm
Originally posted by GLAMAFROMNY GLAMAFROMNY wrote:

I noticed some ladies on youtube who have obvious reverting
Oh I have never had that problem with the just for me hair softener. If anything it can make your hair very straight. With texturizers it's hard to get a uniform curl pattern all over the head maybe that's what happened to them. Some parts of their hair could have been more processed than others.

Print Page | Close Window