Print Page | Close Window

Would You Put Sunscreen On Your Hair?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Natural Hair Care
Forum Name: Homemade Hair Recipes
Forum Description: Discussion on HomeMade Hair Recipes.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=317757
Printed Date: Apr 22 2018 at 9:54pm

Topic: Would You Put Sunscreen On Your Hair?
Posted By: yekomod
Subject: Would You Put Sunscreen On Your Hair?
Date Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 12:46pm
A Great Recipe to Save Your Hair From Summer Related Problems!
Though summer is my favorite time of the year, I hate how the sun can play havoc with hair and turn it dry like straw.  Even worse is how sun fades your hair color while it can make it brittle enough to crunch when rubbed between your fingers.

Pools and that awful chlorine can also rob your beautiful hair of its glory.   If you're not careful, blondes can find themselves sporting that striking new shade of green.  Did you know that justing wetting your hair first with regular water not pool water before you jump in and swim can prevent that new shade? 

However, I found a wonderful homemade spray you can make in your kitchen to help in your battle from sun-baked summer hair.  You will need a clean empty spray bottle to fill up with this brew.

My Summer Hair Protector Recipe You'll be Nuts Over!

sunscreen
water
leave-in conditioner

Mix equal parts of all three of those ingredients into your empty clean spray bottle until filled.  

Spray your hair every time you get it wet in the pool or give it a squirt through every so often if you're hatless and lingering in the sun for a long time.  Be sure to comb the squirt of hair protector through with your hand to distribute it evenly.  

This will help keep that hair feeling softer and save it from damage!

>>>  http://naturalsobsessed.blogspot.com/search/label/D_I_Y__Beauty - http://naturalsobsessed.blogspot.com/search/label/D_I_Y__Beauty

Has anyone tried this before? 

-------------
Waist length by 30

Replies:
Posted By: Veemack
Date Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 2:00pm
I do use sunscreen on my face and arms. I would not use it on my hair because it is very drying. I would recommend grapeseed oil, it is a natural heat protector and it is very light. And also hats for very hot weather or some type of coverup.

-------------
I am a happy positive God fearing sister, this is why I can show my face. Freely I speak irl, so I do not need to get on the net to vent. I love positivity. Don't be mad nor confused about that.

Posted By: yaya24
Date Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 2:04pm
Her hair is absolutely STUNNING.  http://naturalsobsessed.blogspot.com/search/label/My_Hair - http://naturalsobsessed.blogspot.com/search/label/My_Hair

Goodness!

I could possibly try it later down the road..

Thanks for sharing!!

-------------
iRep ♥ Naija
TexLAXED 1.25.13'
SL starting alllll the way over. Watch me work.
APL 2013

<

Date Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 2:10pm
Originally posted by Veemack Veemack wrote:

I do use sunscreen on my face and arms. I would not use it on my hair because it is very drying. I would recommend grapeseed oil, it is a natural heat protector and it is very light. And also hats for very hot weather or some type of coverup.

I use grapeseed oil, I love it! For most the summer I've been wearing protective styles and hair scarves to protect my hair from the sun. I was thinking of something to use though, while at the pool. I figured the sunscreen would be drying, I guess that's why they suggested adding water & a leave in as well. Thanks for you suggestions!

-------------
Waist length by 30

Date Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 2:12pm
Originally posted by yaya24 yaya24 wrote:

Her hair is absolutely STUNNING.  http://naturalsobsessed.blogspot.com/search/label/My_Hair - http://naturalsobsessed.blogspot.com/search/label/My_Hair

Goodness!

I could possibly try it later down the road..

Thanks for sharing!!

Yes, her hair is amazing! I love her blog as well. She has so much great information, and great product reviews. She gets sent products to try out often & doesn't sugarcoat anything. If she doesn't like it, she says so, I appreciate her honesty. 

I was thinking about trying it the next time I went to the pool. If you do please come back & tell me how it went for you!

...oh & np :)

-------------
Waist length by 30

Posted By: Veemack
Date Posted: Aug 05 2011 at 4:02pm
Originally posted by yekomod yekomod wrote:

I use grapeseed oil, I love it! For most the summer I've been wearing protective styles and hair scarves to protect my hair from the sun. I was thinking of something to use though, while at the pool. I figured the sunscreen would be drying, I guess that's why they suggested adding water & a leave in as well. Thanks for you suggestions!

You are so welcomed. I guess it couldn't hurt to try it, because your hair will let you know if it doesn't like a product. I know sometimes I will put on my sunscreen and forget to put on my moisturizer. Then when I go to put on make up my face is really dry. My sunscreen looks creamy but it is very drying. .......If any of yall try this recipe let us know.  HHJ!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

-------------
I am a happy positive God fearing sister, this is why I can show my face. Freely I speak irl, so I do not need to get on the net to vent. I love positivity. Don't be mad nor confused about that.

Posted By: eboni1
Date Posted: Aug 20 2011 at 1:49am
Most of the oil and butters we use have natural sunscreen in them

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Sep 03 2011 at 7:44pm
To answer the question, no I would not.  I rather wear a hat and it has been working for me so far.

-------------
Laws are not written to protect children and women. They are written to protect MEN. - TokyoRose (truncated unfortunately)

Posted By: belnoir
Date Posted: Sep 07 2011 at 6:58pm
^ this with no hat wearing.

I honestly don't see a reason to be putting sunscreen on my hair. It won't catch cancer, its already dead.

Posted By: GoatGoatEtc.
Date Posted: Sep 08 2011 at 6:05am
I would think some natural oils would have properties that protect against the sun

Posted By: Antonia
Date Posted: Nov 06 2011 at 9:31pm
Aloe Vera works as a very good heat protector. I apply it to my hair in the summer months and also before I flat iron or press it. It works very well. I've noticed alot less split ends since I've started doing it. A lot of my friends have began doing the same thing. Aloe also helps to make your hair shine a bit more, lock in moisture and in my opinion makes your hair more easy to manage.

If you're interested in trying it I wouldn't recommend you buy the aloe vera from the store because it has added preservatives. Even the aloe vera gel that says 100% aloe vera has preservatives and becomes very sticky. It would be a better idea to buy an aloe vera leaf at the grocery store or even by an aloe vera plant for 5$. You just cut open the plant, scrape out the gel and then put it in a blender. You can mix it with anything if you'd like. I mix aloe vera into my hair oils, moisturizers, deep conditioners even with the shea butter mix I use to oil my scalp. OR if you'd like you can just put a little of the aloe vera in your hair before you go out into the sun.

-------------
- Antonia

Posted By: lacehairwigs uk
Date Posted: Nov 07 2011 at 9:27am
i did a bit in turkey.it was super hot

Posted By: KunoichiNindroid
Date Posted: Feb 09 2012 at 9:48am
Wow. I would've never thought of that. Summers get really hot here and i usually stay inside to protect my skin and stop my hair from drying. I'll definitely try this in October!

Posted By: KurlieBeautie
Date Posted: Feb 09 2012 at 1:14pm
I've never protected my hair but my bf and I were brainstorming that one of the reasons my hair might have broken off this year is because of our vacation during which we swam a LOT in chlorinated water (everyday for almost a wk) and also walked out in the sun a lot. I will try that for this summer. 

-------------
Couldn't go very long w/o a puppy Avi! <3

Wags NC. Full p0rn when I finally install to my satisfaction.

Posted By: thequirkyone
Date Posted: May 21 2012 at 6:27am
Avocado oil acts as a natural sunscreen.

Posted By: stevehughes
Date Posted: May 31 2012 at 7:31am
I have no knowledge about this..But after reading your blog I get that...I agree that in pool water hair becomes dry and weird..

Posted By: 150-55-27
Date Posted: May 31 2012 at 10:49am
Great info ladies!!!

-------------

Posted By: hairfanatic501
Date Posted: Apr 02 2013 at 6:46pm
Never thought about applying sunscreen to my hair but after reading this I'll definitely be investing in grapeseed oil or a aloe vera plant. 

Posted By: achampongadjoa
Date Posted: Apr 08 2013 at 10:25pm

Star

Posted By: achampongadjoa
Date Posted: Apr 08 2013 at 10:26pm

I also use coconut oil as well :)

Posted By: naturalblackgirl
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 12:35pm
Your hair would get dry and it would fall out. Your hair might be dead but you can't treat it that way. Why are you even on this website if you have no intention of caring for your hair.

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Aug 20 2014 at 4:55pm
Wow, so many tips, thanks ladies! I didn't know grapeseed oil, coconut oil, avocado oil and aloe vera could be used to protect my hair from the sun!
I usually wear a hat at the beach; so glad to know I have options!

Date Posted: Aug 26 2014 at 12:37pm
Today I am going to the beach, and I will apply coconut oil to my hair, especially where my hat does not protect from the sun.

Posted By: BHappy_01
Date Posted: Aug 31 2014 at 10:03pm
I would never put sunscreen on my hair.  Just seems like it would have too many unwanted chemicals in it for me to use on my hair.  I also have never heard any such thing about putting sunscreen on your hair.  Of all of the things I have http://www.instantrewardspays.com/behappy%20 - heard, that's not one of them.

Posted By: CammiCutie
Date Posted: Oct 24 2014 at 3:02am
I wouldn't. I just think we do too much to our hair when style it. Avoid putting too much chemicals to hair.why not apply some physically sunproof methods like wearing a hat?

Date Posted: Mar 07 2015 at 4:12pm
bump!

usually i wear a hat, but i couldn't recall what were the suggestions given in this thread.
next time i go to the beach, i will apply coconut oil before leaving home

Date Posted: Mar 13 2015 at 12:07pm
I am going to the beach today and I'm trying this again. Applied coconut oil to my hair but I will put a hat on to protect my scalp.

Posted By: Kristy Swan
Date Posted: Jul 21 2015 at 10:00pm
never add sunscreen on my hair. I use grapeseed oil and wear a hat to protect my hair from the sun.

Posted By: Sharebestcccam
Date Posted: Oct 19 2015 at 9:47am
Great Content with useful info will touch in future..

Posted By: Benni
Date Posted: Dec 28 2015 at 11:12pm
Hats !!!

Posted By: latayy83
Date Posted: Jun 02 2016 at 12:05am
I do I make it using annatto which is what the caribs used to protect their skin

Posted By: afrohairsolutions
Date Posted: Jul 10 2016 at 2:31pm
I do using shea butter or coconut oil

Posted By: JorieNHB
Date Posted: Jul 12 2016 at 2:24pm
Hello Everyone,

I thought that it would be a fun project to put together a manual showing how I care for my natural hair, and want to make sure that it is really good.
So, I’m putting together a survey to make sure I answer any questions that normal people would have about natural hair.
So - I’ve got a question, a favor and a gift.
1st - What is your #1 question about natural hair
2nd - Would you post this question at https://thenaturalhairbible.com/hair-bible-book-optin
3rd - if you post a question you will be entered into a drawing to win a copy of the manual.

Sounds good?
Thanks
Jorie

Print Page | Close Window