Forum Name: Health Issues
Forum Description: Discussions on Health Issues
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=315625
Printed Date: Nov 17 2018 at 12:43am

Topic: Remedies for period cramps
Posted By: DominicanBarbie
Subject: Remedies for period cramps
Date Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 12:49am
Anyone know any natural remedies for period cramps and heavy periods?

I've talked to my doctor about my horrible horrible cramps and heavy periods ( gross I know) and she recommended birth control which I am not comfortable taking. I've just heard too many side effects with that. I was wondering is there any NATURAL remedies I can try to get rid of this shxt! Angry 

I've been researching Maca Root but I've also heard that it can make your cramps worse which I am kind of scared about. So can anyone give me any suggestions. Thanks. 

Replies:
Posted By: bellacnella
Date Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 12:54am
hot bath...heating pad...herbal tea.  believe it or not, sometimes exercise.

just curious, does ibuprofen not work for you or you just do not want to take it?  i have horrible cramps and i could never get through my period without either a motrin or a tylenol #3...sometimes i even try a percocet if they are too bad...

-------------
http://public.fotki.com/bellacnella18/

Posted By: Preciousme
Date Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 1:01am
Try taking a baby aspirin everyday, starting. 3 days before your period. Evening primrose oil is suppose to help but you need to take it for a couple months before you see any changes.

Date Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 1:02am
No pain relievers  works for me. Cry
It takes so long to start working that my cramps come before the pain pills kick-in and I hate taking so many pills a day just to stop the cramps from getting unbearable. I just think that it will hurt me in the long run and plus my body will start to become immune to the pain pills and not work.  

Hopefully since I'm moving to an APT with a gym that if I start to exercise daily and start a new "diet" eliminating processed foods & what not will help too. 

Date Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 1:04am
Originally posted by Preciousme Preciousme wrote:

Try taking a baby aspirin everyday, starting. 3 days before your period. Evening primrose oil is suppose to help but you need to take it for a couple months before you see any changes.

Sigh I don't think I can do the baby aspirin thing. My mom would freak, we don't take aspirin in our household but I will try the primrose oil. Thanks 

Do you know how much of it  I  would have to take? 

Posted By: hairbeauty
Date Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 2:27am
keep yourself warm,drink Motherwort granule or eat fresh motherwort boiled eggs.It may be help

-------------
I am the fan of lace wigs.

http://www.thehairwigs.com

Posted By: ImThatDiva
Date Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 3:31am
WHOA WHOA WHOA....You aren't supposed to take aspirin or any medications that have aspirin when you're on your period except if its prescription.

there's a natural pill called pyconegol9sp) that i've heard works wonders for your menstrual...

-------------
Mrs.ImThatModdlessDiva
TWERKIN' MY WAY DOWNTOWN
CARS DRIVE PAST
DRIVERS CRASH AND I'M LOWDOWN
-Midna

Date Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 7:44am
Originally posted by ImThatDiva ImThatDiva wrote:

WHOA WHOA WHOA....You aren't supposed to take aspirin or any medications that have aspirin when you're on your period except if its prescription.

there's a natural pill called pyconegol9sp) that i've heard works wonders for your menstrual...

Do you need prescription for pyconegolsp? I'm going to look into it. 
Thank You

Posted By: GoatGoatEtc.
Date Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 9:02am
bump

Posted By: brittsbee
Date Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 9:04am
heat pad, pickle juice (track and field coach told me this secret), being very active

I suffered from really bad cramps when I was on the track and field team and all these worked!  You may want to consult with an OB/GYN just to make sure everything is ok down there.  I had surgery a few months ago b/c my doctor found a cyst.

ETA: Didn't realize that you already spoke with your doctor.  Can you ask him to do an internal ultrasound just to make sure everything is ok?

-------------
Studying for the CPA exam!!!

Join Swagbucks and win FREE money http://www.swagbucks.com/refer/busybee88

Avi: RHO Afro KC

Posted By: tmrockville
Date Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 9:25am
I would be interested in remedies as well.  Here is a link to Pycnogenol  http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/1019.html - http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/1019.html .  When I talked with my doctor the options were birth control or minor surgery if I didn't want to have children.  Now I'm just on a px for motrin.  I do agree about the ultrasound b/c there may be extra tissue that needs to be removed.  You also want to make sure you don't become anemic.

Posted By: PurplePumps
Date Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 9:29am
Originally posted by ImThatDiva ImThatDiva wrote:

Since when?

To the OP, 

Things that helped me with my painful period (I'd be just like you, doubled over in pain, crying, vomiting, the whole 9 yards):

drink a lot of water. I noticed my cramps decreased significantly when I upped my water intake.

eat a lot of fruits the week before your period. I've always noticed that if I eat a lot of fruits right beforehand, the cramps are less. Don't know why, but they are.

let go of the meats (unless they are 100% organic) the week before your period. Hormones in the meats we eat make it worse. Basically with these last two tips, I become a vegetarian the week before. Seriously.

take a daily calcium supplement. Calcium helps to lessen cramps.

when you're having the cramps, drink a soda if you can hold it down. Caffeine also helps to lessen cramps.

The night before you know your period is due and you start feeling those "warning cramps," pop 3 Motrin, then get out your trusty heating pad and make use! Don't sleep on the benefits of having a heating pad! The heating pad is almost like my guaranteed "get out of cramps free" card

If you feel ok enough, take a light walk. You may have to stop every few minutes to ride the wave of a cramp but I promise, it makes it better in the end.

Massage your pelvic/lower abdomen area where your uterus is.

-------------
No additional f*cks shall be given until further notice. -DeliciouslyWeird

NL--{SL}--APL--BSB--MBL--WL--HL--TBL

Posted By: ChicFrenchy
Date Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 9:32am
Originally posted by DominicanBarbie DominicanBarbie wrote:

Sigh I don't think I can do the baby aspirin thing. My mom would freak, we don't take aspirin in our household but I will try the primrose oil. Thanks 

Never ever take aspirin during your periods. It makes the blood flow a lot heavier.

And have you tried Naproxen (ex: ALEVE)? It is more efficient on cramps/muscle pains than ibuprofen

And yes, go see an obgyn to check your cyst situation.

Edited to write ALEVE (not Advil). Aleve= naproxen (Advil=ibuprofene) I was writing too fast.

Posted By: meancookie89
Date Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 9:37am
to combat heavy cramping you need only two vitamin pills
IRON and the Calcium Magnesium zinc pill combo (usually all 3 come in one).

okay you can get them at any drug store take these two pills two days before ur period. You should take them through out period too it replenishes your blood loss.

Avoid red meat and caffeine as it will make you feel bloated, try to exercise once a week and trust me you'll feel better i have the same problem. And remember stress does effect ur period tooo!

take care and be good to urself

Posted By: PurplePumps
Date Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 9:40am
Originally posted by ChicFrenchy ChicFrenchy wrote:

Originally posted by DominicanBarbie DominicanBarbie wrote:

Never ever take aspirin during your periods. It makes the blood flow a lot heavier.

And have you tried Naproxen (ex: Advil)? It is more efficient on cramps/muscle pains than ibuprofen

And yes, go see an obgyn to check your cyst situation.

Oh, makes sense, since they use aspirin as a blood thinner.

-------------
No additional f*cks shall be given until further notice. -DeliciouslyWeird

NL--{SL}--APL--BSB--MBL--WL--HL--TBL

Posted By: slimjuicy
Date Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 9:43am
I always took Aleve the night before my period was to start. It drastically reduced my cramps. A doctor told my friend this, she told me, the rest is history lol.

-------------
www.love4thrifting.blogspot.com

Posted By: ChicFrenchy
Date Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 10:21am
Originally posted by slimjuicy slimjuicy wrote:

I always took Aleve the night before my period was to start. It drastically reduced my cramps. A doctor told my friend this, she told me, the rest is history lol.
I meant Naproxen Aleve. Not Advil. You are right. Aleve is the bomb.com

Posted By: Phattygyrl
Date Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 3:13pm
Vitamin E helps a lot, i double my Vitamin E intake when i'm about to start my period. It helps a lot with cramps... Plus it made my skin stay glowing and I normally don't have any period pimples. lol

Date Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 4:29pm
Thank You Everyone. 
I will check with my doctor about the cysts and what not. Since I've been going through the heavy period problem a while now. 
Also I will try the heating bad, better diet, vitamins , exercise and pain pills hopefully all these things combined stop me from having to put my life on hold for a week that my period comes. 

@ChicFrenchy I've actually tried Naproxen recently and it worked. I had it laying around from when my doctor prescribed it for my cold a while back.  

@PurplePumps What type of heating pad do you use? The disposable ones (one use) or the electric type? 

@Tmrockville Thanks for the article. I think I will have to do my research on pycnogenol before I start taking it. That article got me a little nervous with the side effects and what not. 

Posted By: moetnectar
Date Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 4:30pm
Hey quick question have you had any children? The reason I ask is bekuz I had terrrible cramps to the point were I used to faint. But after my first child they seemed to disappear. I'm sure its a hormone imbalace. But the methods I used were

1. heating pad
2. tylenol based products ( i can't take aspirin)
3. very little dairy products 3 or 4 days before period
4. calcium supplemnt
5. light walking a couple of days before and during cycle
6. warm apple juice or tea
 7. no alcohol during cycle I also heard about primose but never tried it myself

Posted By: I <3 KimK. Hair
Date Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 6:41pm
Get a strong herbal chamomile tea. It specifically soothes upset stomachs. and do some situps. any exercise that makes your abdominal muscles contract really helps stop the pain.

-------------
Got my pre-baby body back!
C + C born 5/21/11

Posted By: misjaghuar
Date Posted: Jul 14 2011 at 6:46pm
noooooo you ladies are waaaayyyy off.

I TASK YOU TO TRY SIT UPS, DO 15 THEN WAIT A BIT AND DO ANOTHER 15 AND THE BLOOD WILL START FLOWING FREE. TRUST ME ON THIS ONE. SIT-UPS.

-------------
Large and Medium Mesh caps Available.

' Who gone check me, boo'!!

Posted By: breBR3bre
Date Posted: Jul 29 2011 at 11:14pm

Literally no pain relievers work for me...not even coedine that people use to get high. Heat is the best option for me and i've tried everything from herbs to pickle juice and working out. What I found works best is meditation along with heating pads that you stick on your body, but Aspercreme is amazing...it's a warming sensation that lasts for hours and kills cramps in less than a hour. Maca has also made my period lighter and shorter. I've went from very severe to dull moderate cramps. I also went from using super absorbent to light tampons...sorry if its tmi. My period has also went from 7 days to 4 days.

Posted By: sasha299
Date Posted: Jul 29 2011 at 11:48pm
Here are some tips that may help for you

1. Red Raspberry leaf tea - tones the uterus
2. Rub plain alcohol (the drinking 100 proof type) on the lower stomach over the crampy area.
3. Take calcium and Magneesium supplements starting the week before your period
4. Work out 2 times daily
5. stop using tampons - I only started cramping after my baby was born and I found that using tampons actually made it worst for me. I switched to pads and like magic - no cramping
6. Reduce salt intake a week before your period. Some reputable studies have shown that doing this reduces cramping and bloating
7. Eat lots of leafy greens all the time - spinach, cabbage and parsley usually raw or barely steamed. They reduce cramping and bloating. One way for me to get them is in my daily juice/shakes. Carrots, spinach, watercress and what ever fruit is in season - makes an awesome drink.
8. Garlic - this is the bomb! If you can stomach it a clove of fresh garlic daily with a spoon of honey.
9. the ultimate - better than anything else - forget codine, etc 1 oz nutmeg with 1 pint of Jamaican over proof rum - take ONLY 1 teaspoon 3 times daily.

Posted By: morenaloca
Date Posted: Jul 30 2011 at 2:38pm
Before I gave up red meat, vicaden (sp?) was the only thing that helped. Thank god I found another way, it was very dangerous but the only thing that worked.

If you take a pain pill like aleve, advil, whatever, caffiene will make it work faster. Don't out too much milk in it though.

Posted By: obiisASTARxx
Date Posted: Aug 02 2011 at 3:26pm
working out or any type of exercise will take your mind off the cramps and help your body circulate properly, try it

Posted By: DarkBrown
Date Posted: Aug 02 2011 at 3:58pm
midol. avoid salty foods cause that can make it worse

-------------
A man falls in love through his eyes, a woman through her ears.

Posted By: Carib_n_curly
Date Posted: Aug 02 2011 at 3:58pm
since i've been taking calcium supplements and rosehip vitamin c supplements 
my periods aren't painful anymore
i take a generic store made one so don't worry about the brand too much

-------------
^_^

Posted By: khivey
Date Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 11:33am
Is it possible that you have fibroids?

Evening primrose oil is really good...and yes, a change in your diet will definitely help. Try cutting out dairy

-------------
Hair Type:3c/4a
Hair Length:SBL
“The approval of others often forms an essential part of our capacity to think we are right.”

Posted By: constancev18
Date Posted: Aug 03 2011 at 11:46am
Originally posted by sasha299 sasha299 wrote:

Here are some tips that may help for you

5. stop using tampons - I only started cramping after my baby was born and I found that using tampons actually made it worst for me. I switched to pads and like magic - no cramping
6. Reduce salt intake a week before your period. Some reputable studies have shown that doing this reduces cramping and bloating
7. Eat lots of leafy greens all the time - spinach, cabbage and parsley usually raw or barely steamed. They reduce cramping and bloating. One way for me to get them is in my daily juice/shakes. Carrots, spinach, watercress and what ever fruit is in season - makes an awesome drink.
8. Garlic - this is the bomb! If you can stomach it a clove of fresh garlic daily with a spoon of honey.

I wholeheartedly agree with the above (tampons, greens, & garlic) especially if you have endometriosis.  Garlic, oranges, broccoli actually lower estrogen in your body and cruciferous vegetables are low estrogen foods.  Too much estrogen will inflame uterine tissue (which may be deposited in other areas as well if you have endo) and cause pain.  PP's mentioned meat, dairy, sugar, and wheat (everything, I know!), which will cause inflammation of the uterine tissue. If you can only eliminate one thing-do away with sugar.  It is one of the biggest triggers of cramps (see book, Sugar Blues)

Posted By: tianini
Date Posted: Aug 18 2011 at 8:45pm
I suffered with endometriosis before having my son. I would run a fever, vomit, have diarrhea(or be terribly constipated), chills and the worst pain I've ever felt in my life as far as cramps(even worse than labor pains).

Avoid caffeine, try to eat tuna a few days before, drink plenty of water. You could make a tea out of boiling a stalk of celery and the leaves. Drink it hot but I'm forewarning you it will make your flow heavy. Cinnamon stick also works to boil and drink the tea;both are remedies that are used in Peru and they both work. I agree tampons make it worse(avoid on the first day or 2).

Posted By: lilbit65
Date Posted: Aug 21 2011 at 6:50pm

The only thing that works for me is GINGER TEA AND MIDOL. WITH A WARM COMPRESS.
Also the menstrual cramps heating pad works.

Posted By: morenaloca
Date Posted: Nov 21 2011 at 8:25pm
MSM made my periods lighter and shorter. It has many other benefits too. You should look into it

Posted By: evolver
Date Posted: Nov 23 2011 at 3:41pm
I'd purchase Therma-Care Heating pads. Use the Neck wrap. They do have one made specifically for the abdominal section for women but I need the REAL DEAL when my periods on. I found that the Neck Wraps work perfectly. Before you get dressed in the morning apply the wrap across your lower abdominal area, get dressed as usual and the heat usually lasts for about 8 hours.

Sit up/crunches help ease cramping.

By all means STAY away from any form of dairy at least 1 week before your period. The hormones in the milk combined with your hormones don't mix too well with your body.

Also, don't drink anything that is too cold. We usually become anemic during our period because we are losing blood. Cold anything can definitely make your period worse.

Dong Quai and or Red Raspberry Tea is perfect for cramps and for women in general.

Posted By: NattyDoll
Date Posted: Apr 28 2012 at 8:14pm
When I was in high school mine were so bad I literally had to be carried to the nurse's office once a month to go home. I would always spend my first day crying and couldn't even walk around my house. Once I actually passed out from the pain.

When I saw my doctor about it, he put me on birth control and it fixed my hormones and almost completely took my pain away. It would still get pretty bad sometimes, probably worse than the average person still, but to me it was such a relief, I acted like it was a blessing to have such light pains. ^^'

Now that I'm not on birth control, it still hasn't come back nearly as bad. But my maca has been helping even more since I started taking it.

Right now, I'm on my fifth day of a body cleanse, so all my maca has washed out of my system. Well, I started my monthly today, and dear lord, the pain. :/ I should have waited to start it until after my period...

Maca helps regulate hormones in the body. So if your problem is caused by too little estrogen like mine was, it's likely that the maca will make your body start producing more estrogen. But I can't guarantee anything.

For me, Midol and heating pads have never helped. Exercise has never helped. I guess I just have serious hormonal problems that those normal methods of healing can't even touch.

Posted By: Grapes25
Date Posted: May 02 2012 at 12:50pm
After taking Maca root supplements, I have not been having horrible menstrual cramps anymore. Usually a Midol or two with some green tea would ease the pain momentarily. Otherwise I would do yoga or stretch. Stretching really does help the cramping.

Posted By: Ashleyano
Date Posted: Sep 16 2012 at 10:45pm
ginger candy! works like a charmWink

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Sep 18 2012 at 12:11pm
For me, I noticed taking omega-3s in a form of chia seeds and cod liver oils helped with having a pain free period.  Another one would be a multivitamin.  I think it is either the potassium or magnesium/manganese helped with the cramps.

-------------
Laws are not written to protect children and women. They are written to protect MEN. - TokyoRose (truncated unfortunately)

Posted By: hair_dummy
Date Posted: Oct 04 2012 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by bellacnella bellacnella wrote:

hot bath...heating pad...herbal tea.  believe it or not, sometimes exercise.

just curious, does ibuprofen not work for you or you just do not want to take it?  i have horrible cramps and i could never get through my period without either a motrin or a tylenol #3...sometimes i even try a percocet if they are too bad...

Defiantly exercise for me anyway. Cut my flow down to a trickle and no more cramps.Clap

Posted By: Cream1970
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 12:37am
Severe cramps are usually hereditary. My mom, myself and now my daughter had/have cramping pain to the point of vomiting .

Mine went away once I had a child because my cerviz was stretched. Before that, getting on the pill helped.

My daughter starts by taking a 200 mg Motrin/Ibuprofen twice a day, 2 days before she's due. If she remembers to do this, she is fine. If she forgets (blows off my reminders), she is excruciating pain , to the point of  writhing in pain, almost passing out and I have to give her vicotin just for both of us to get some sleep.

The key is to have the painkiller built up in your system to stay ahead of the pain. Same concept as why the pediatrician says to give babies a dose of tylenol/motrin BEFORE you bring them in to get shots.

Waiting for that 1st cramp to take the painkiller isn't enough time . Two days before is ideal.

-------------

Posted By: IIMoniqueII
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 10:06pm
Hot towel below belly button.

Posted By: Bimmergal
Date Posted: Feb 02 2013 at 7:59pm
drink about a 1/2 cup of mt. olive dill pickle juice, cramps will disappear, its amazing and it works!!!!!!

Print Page | Close Window