Print Page | Close Window

Why cant some blk ppl understand Erykah Badu ?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk (Newbies)
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=313084
Printed Date: Nov 18 2018 at 6:05am

Topic: Why cant some blk ppl understand Erykah Badu ?
Posted By: mellowkat01
Subject: Why cant some blk ppl understand Erykah Badu ?
Date Posted: Jun 19 2011 at 12:42am
Particularly this song.

and most importantly this simple verse ?

If we were made in His image
Then call us by our names
Most intellects do not Believe in God
But they fear us just the same

I purposely googled this song just to see if anyone would nail the lyrics right on the spot -or- dramatically (and foolishly) misinterpret what she was saying.

and on this site there were black people who were drastically misinterpreting what she meant:
http://www.sing365.com/music/archive.nsf/Erykah-Badu-On-and-On-Reviews/8448BE7D26FBFA5648257694000D14CA - http://www.sing365.com/music/archive.nsf/Erykah-Badu-On-and-On-Reviews/8448BE7D26FBFA5648257694000D14CA

I was pissed some were saying she's a devil worshiper,etc. Angry

so for any bhm'ers who couldn't get what she meant (even though the context was unbelievably easy for most blk folk to understand)

Here's a CORRECT interpretation of what she meant in the above verse:

If we were made in His image- she is obviously referring to the fact that
blacks were the first humans on earth, created as a direct representation of god, being the first people on the planet.

Then call us by our names- she is talking about how blacks have been systematically excluded and degraded/targeted with racism, yet we are a direct image of god, and should be acknowledged exactly for what we truly are, hence "call us by our names"

Most intellects do not Believe in God
But they fear us just the same-

This is the easiest part of the verse to understand, yet it seems just about EVERYONE on that website misinterpreted it, it was so annoying to read everyone's idiotic responses, like hello ? , how can ppl (especially blk) misinterpret "they fear us just the same"

...and no, she is not talking about "us" all being god's children in a battle against "them". She is specifically referring to the mistreatment of blk ppl in society.

Basically, what she meant was:

A lot of times, people will hear a (psuedo, Because "the man who knows something knows he knows nothing at all" lol.) intellects will proudly state that they are atheist, and don't believe in god.

This is where Erykah incorporates sarcasm lol, when referring to these white psuedo-intellects

because often times these ppl will be so bold to state how they don't believe in a "god", but seconds later when they're walking to their car in an alley/parking lot, they will be scared as heck when encountering a black person, god's child, hence "they fear US just the same"

I'm 18 and i completely understand the context of which she wrote this song.

How can any black person misinterpret this ? Stern Smile

Replies:
Posted By: mscaribbeanma
Date Posted: Jun 19 2011 at 1:23am
see siggy

-------------
current length- APL
goal length - MBL-WL
current weight- 167
goal weight-135

Posted By: ChocolatePie777
Date Posted: Jun 19 2011 at 1:37am
not a fan....respect but not a fan so idc

on not it's not hard to understand

-------------
"I came into this World kicking and screaming and covered in someone else's blood; I wouldn't mind going out the same way"

Posted By: ummmok
Date Posted: Jun 19 2011 at 1:44am
Some people's minds are just closed, I don't get it. I have seen people take metaphors too literally. "I bleed your love" .... The illiterate will say "oh, he must have cut himself and is bleeding, right? Let's head to the ER" They only scratch the surface. I don't know. Anyhow, I'm not really a fan of Erykah Badu but I do like that song a lot!

Posted By: honeybee10
Date Posted: Jun 19 2011 at 1:59am
I'm a fan! I love her and I totally understand the meaning of her lyrics. We live in a world that is unfortunately incapable of looking beyond the very literal. Everything is so blunt and overt these days. Nothing is left to the imagination, which is why a lot of people don't have any imagination. Erykah is a great metaphorical songwriter. That's one of the things about her that makes me a fanSmile

-------------
In mourning for the sex section...CHOGH for life

Team CHOGH Charter Member

Posted By: Ashxoxo
Date Posted: Jun 19 2011 at 9:58am
I love everything about Erykah Badu! But alot of ppl see her as some crazy azz chick with crazy azz hair who sings crazy azz songs.

-------------
Never a flaw.
Never before have you seen such magnificence in a Black princess.

Posted By: Lilacflower1988
Date Posted: Jun 19 2011 at 11:21am

I feel a little embarrassed. An 18 year old had to break down the meaning of this song to me. WOW! But, thank you, anyways. I have to admit that I had no idea what she was talking about myself. I've always liked that song but didn't understand until now.

Posted By: Anah
Date Posted: Jun 19 2011 at 12:39pm
Thumbs Up

-------------
#CHOGH

Posted By: iLoveMrCortez
Date Posted: Jun 19 2011 at 1:10pm
people just arent used to it. it can go over a lot of people's heads

-------------
SNATCHIN WIGS & TAKIN NAMES

Date Posted: Jun 19 2011 at 2:14pm
Originally posted by mscaribbeanma mscaribbeanma wrote:

see siggy

i know you get it Wink

reading your siggy in that "Say It. I Dare You" thread, made me google it and wonder if others understood it as well

Date Posted: Jun 19 2011 at 2:29pm
Another Verse from the song:

You rush into destruction 'cause you don't have nothin' left
The mothership can't save you so your ass is goin' get it

She is talking about whites and all of the destruction they have caused in the world.

Mothership= Rapture, and the ones who mistreated blks (god's children), gon' get left.

lol she i love how she writes her songs and the way she adds humor to it.

Approve

Posted By: shantrinas
Date Posted: Jun 19 2011 at 6:40pm
love this song, i never really read into lyrics much honestly. not being closed minded or anything. i usually just listen and chill out or whatever

Posted By: Allure.
Date Posted: Jun 19 2011 at 8:09pm
I love Erykah and understand her lyrics and meanings fine. But the average person listening to her songs without knowing what type of artist she is would definitely misinterpret her meanings. Her lyrics were written to take you on a mind trip.

Posted By: Bunnyahh
Date Posted: Jun 19 2011 at 8:40pm
it has nothing to do with color.  there are dumb ppl in every race.  The math threads prove that we are not all created equal 

-------------
Hi BHM!! Lovely day I'm having. How about you?

Date Posted: Jun 19 2011 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by Bunnyahh Bunnyahh wrote:

it has nothing to do with color.  there are dumb ppl in every race.  The math threads prove that we are not all created equal 

I agree.

But in this song particularly talking about white people.

Date Posted: Jun 19 2011 at 8:55pm
Originally posted by mellowkat01 mellowkat01 wrote:

I agree.

But in this song particularly talking about white people.

Erykah that is *

Posted By: coilyartist
Date Posted: Jun 19 2011 at 10:10pm
Erykah is deep, and I don't understand why people don't get what she is saying.
Same thing for Lauryn Hill.

-------------
lolliesnlife.blogspot.com
locsladylocs.blogspot.com

"You know why we're stuck with the myth that only black people have soul? Because white people don't let´╗┐ themselves feel things"

- Janis J

Posted By: 313chick
Date Posted: Jun 20 2011 at 11:13am

Posted By: Stam
Date Posted: Jun 20 2011 at 11:41pm
It is not a black person's responsibility to understand her. I don't get the title of this thread to be honest.

Posted By: Stam
Date Posted: Jun 20 2011 at 11:44pm
This whole "black people were the first on earth" is a funny and tricky thing to debate.
If somebody does not understand her lyrics the way she intended them to mean, or if they have another interpretation what is the big deal? Why do you assume your interpretation is right?

Posted By: 27brwnsug
Date Posted: Jun 25 2011 at 11:37am
Calling someone a devil worshiper is the new "thing". Not to sound like a reclusive conspiracy theorist but I think its a way to control the general public and the take some of the influence off of celebrities. If no one thought Beyonce was illuminati more people would realize that her music has a lot of references to female empowerment. The male run govt doesn't like that. Smile

-------------
"The shade of it all."
- Latrice Royale

Posted By: Becky
Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 7:54am
I hate to state the obvious but ... a lot of people do not believe in God or the Devil .. so what would be the point of trying to find the deeper meaning in that song? Fairy tales.Confused

Personally, I when I see the words - God or devil or anything in that language... I just tune out.Geek Stupid.

Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 7:57am
Originally posted by coilyartist coilyartist wrote:

Erykah is deep, and I don't understand why people don't get what she is saying.
Same thing for Lauryn Hill.

Lauryn Hill is a Drug Addict so .. credibility = NULL.Ouch

Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 8:22am

dup

Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 10:25am
No she isn't

Posted By: Lady ICE
Date Posted: Dec 21 2012 at 10:15pm
erykah has become very strange over the years...so never believe shes into God but...more so god...so no i dont understand her. but then i dont even listen to her music...last song i heard was tyrone or whatever it was...Confused

*didnt read the thread just my input on erykah*

-------------

Posted By: Majesty02
Date Posted: Dec 22 2012 at 3:31pm

I've always loved Badu. When she first came out I was only 14 at the time, but I still understood and appreciated her creativity as an artist.  Her music gives you food for thought, and it enables you to see things from a different prespective, Unlike alot of the sterotypically mainstream artist.

-------------
Proud West Indian ! Caribbean posse!

Print Page | Close Window