Print Page | Close Window

Moving To Houston what should I expect?

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Lets Talk
Forum Name: Talk, Talk, and More Talk
Forum Description: In this Forum, the talk is about everything that can be talked about.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=305758
Printed Date: Oct 23 2017 at 6:34pm

Topic: Moving To Houston what should I expect?
Posted By: Phattygyrl
Subject: Moving To Houston what should I expect?
Date Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 11:08am
I'll be moving to Houston, TX in June. Can anyone give me any ideas about the city, dating scene/social scene? What is a good side of town to live on? My job is on the south side of town I believe. Any good inexpensive stylist, what should I expect, besides the humidity. lol.. Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Replies:
Posted By: Over_all
Date Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 11:20am
Extreme humidity during the summer and weird weather just in general. It has hailed for no reason sun completely out and warm outside... Club scene is ok I don't prefer it but I travel so I think otherwise. Washington ave is starting to go up though club scene is cool. Just a lil exclusive. The hood black clubs are down westhiemer.. Where are you from

Posted By: Bunnyahh
Date Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 11:23am
just stay in ur house & avoid the white ppl if you don't wanna get dragged by a pick up truck

you should be ok

Date Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 11:24am
Originally posted by Bunnyahh Bunnyahh wrote:

just stay in ur house & avoid the white ppl if you don't wanna get dragged by a pick up truck

you should be ok
LOLLOLLOL Wow really.....Confused

Date Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 11:26am
Thanks for responding. I'm from Phoenix, AZ so their aren't a lot of black people here. But where I grew up, that's all that's around. I'm not really into the clubs, I would probably go out once a month if that. Hood clubs, don't I'll go well maybe once to check it out. I don't really want to go to Boojie (sp) clubs. Just a normal place to meet laid back, down to earth, people who have something going for themselves. I hope that makes sense. lol. My brother lives their now, but he'll be moving soon. He will be there for 2 months while I'm there. Other than that, I won't know anyone, but I'm cool with that. I'm looking for a new start.

How are the men down there?

Date Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 11:28am

you should be ok

LMBO....lol..OMG, that's funny. I'm looking to hopefully, find a diverse area to live in. I can hold my own, u can bare arms there right? lol LOL

Date Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Phattygyrl Phattygyrl wrote:

you should be ok

LMBO....lol..OMG, that's funny. I'm looking to hopefully, find a diverse area to live in. I can hold my own, u can bare arms there right? lol LOL
Yep gun license is cool. White peopole aren't bad here. A lil scared sometime and sometime a lil ghetto but Ermm

Posted By: ThisOne
Date Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 11:46am
Never lived in tx before. Expect a lot of mexicans and cowboy boots. Good luck

Date Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Over_all Over_all wrote:

you should be ok

Yep gun license is cool. White peopole aren't bad here. A lil scared sometime and sometime a lil ghetto but Ermm

Good, because I have a 2 guns that I didn't want to get rid of. I'll just register them thx.
I think I'll be cool with the white people. I have a couple of white friends, so hopefully we will get along just fine.

Date Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 11:59am
Originally posted by ThisOne ThisOne wrote:

LMBO.. I'm in Phoenix, AZ so I'm soooo use to Mexicans, We get along just fine. Cowboy boots, I don't think I can handle that. lol

Posted By: ifeyini
Date Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 12:02pm
Yes please stay inside. There are too many the First 48 cases there. I decided Im not going to move to TX. Im too scared of the crime. Im a big baby

Posted By: sxcnodoubt
Date Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 12:34pm
THe responses in this thread are crackin' me the hell up!LOL

Posted By: HunnyB
Date Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 12:59pm
Originally posted by sxcnodoubt sxcnodoubt wrote:

THe responses in this thread are crackin' me the hell up!LOL

Right lol

The only thing TX really does more than any1 is utilize the death penalty....TX
has one of the best housing markets...Its not always hot, surprisingly

...but there are still places I don't goStern Smile

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 1:05pm

Thanks for responding. I'm from Phoenix, AZ so their aren't a lot of black people here. But where I grew up, that's all that's around. I'm not really into the clubs, I would probably go out once a month if that. Hood clubs, don't I'll go well maybe once to check it out. I don't really want to go to Boojie (sp) clubs. Just a normal place to meet laid back, down to earth, people who have something going for themselves. I hope that makes sense. lol. My brother lives their now, but he'll be moving soon. He will be there for 2 months while I'm there. Other than that, I won't know anyone, but I'm cool with that. I'm looking for a new start.

If you're from AZ...then you'll be over whelmed by the amount of black people. LOL

No, but in all seriousness, enjoy the new city. Don't focus so much on meeting men, that will come. Not to mention, men can smell new booty from 3 blocks around the corner,  they'll know you're not from there. If want to meet people, join different groups like Urban League Young Professionals, Young Democrats, young adult groups as church etc, etc.

I've moved around to new cities not knowning anyone and i treated it like an vacation. Every weekend i would go somewhere that city was know for museums, concerts, plays, rodeos, etc... i I would encourage you to join list servers of AA groups that hosts events.

What profession are you in? Im sure there's a "black association of ______" for just about every field.

Posted By: smartgirl88
Date Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 1:35pm
expect hot ass sun

location is everything so make sure you research the area your moving too

expect to eat a lot! i gained about 10 pounds living in Houston smdh (chedders will kill you)

excellent schools and fairly cheap to live in a nice area.

Date Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 4:18pm
Thanks for your responses. I've been to Houston a few times, it will be some what of a culture shock, but where I live it's mostly black people here. Place I've been I've traveled around. I work in the Health insurance field, so I'm sure I'll meet people at work. The humidity, I'm not looking forward to that, that's the one thing, i'm really nervous about. But I'm excited for a change!

Posted By: Lilnicka4u2nv
Date Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 4:27pm
Mad popeyes chicken....

Posted By: kaai
Date Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 5:53pm
 The heat
the rainy seasons, thunderstorms, floods & bugs.....
I have family outside of houston like... missouri, city, katy, etc so it different.... there

Posted By: ppp38
Date Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by ThisOne ThisOne wrote:

Ouch Not true of Houston at all

Houston is a great city for blacks and it is very diverse, there are a lot of ppl of all races here. Downtown is ok, Washington Ave is a bit better. I think its very good environment for single AA's. The major downside is because the city is soo sprawled out there is a lot of driving.

Posted By: atexaschick
Date Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 8:31pm
Yea cowboy boots and etc. is not true. It's the 4th largest city in the US so its a CITY!!! Very diverse. I love Houston some people say its worse than LA with traffic and stuff. I've heard its a mixture between LA and ATL but don't attack me on that because I never been to either or those cities. Kemah is a cool area to visit close to it and expect alot of heat and humidity. But you won't see alot of people walking around in cowboy boots and horses like they associate texas with.

Posted By: nycdiva357
Date Posted: Apr 08 2011 at 8:54pm
to face the death penalty if you are convicted.

Posted By: [10]
Date Posted: Apr 09 2011 at 1:08am
Tornadoes and republicans.

Posted By: coconess
Date Posted: Apr 09 2011 at 1:10am
-gonna keep my comments to myself one time 

Posted By: graceful_aka
Date Posted: Apr 09 2011 at 1:11am
Originally posted by coconess coconess wrote:

-gonna keep my comments to myself one time 
me too.

Posted By: solena
Date Posted: Apr 09 2011 at 1:16am

sexy. not all but majority of the ones i've seen are.

Posted By: atexaschick
Date Posted: Apr 09 2011 at 1:19am
It's no different than any other place except you might be able to buy a coach purse and have money to put in it later unlike other places. Don't let the northern haters discourage you, all they do is watch the western channel and think that's how tx is Wacko

Posted By: solena
Date Posted: Apr 09 2011 at 1:21am
Originally posted by atexaschick atexaschick wrote:

It's no different than any other place except you might be able to buy a coach purse and have money to put in it later unlike other places. Don't let the northern haters discourage you, all they do is watch the western channel and think that's how tx is Wacko

LOL

Posted By: TayTay
Date Posted: Apr 09 2011 at 1:52am
Humidity. I hate it.

Posted By: taken
Date Posted: Apr 09 2011 at 4:30pm
Originally posted by atexaschick atexaschick wrote:

LOLLOLLOL

Posted By: shoulderlengthb
Date Posted: Apr 09 2011 at 4:36pm
I heard the brothas were extra fine in Texas..when you find out if it's true or not let us know something.

Date Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 10:58am
Thanks for yall replies!!! It was a toss between ATL, and Houston. I'm going with Houston, I have family in both, but I going to go with Houston, and if I don't like it try ATL. I'm single and no kids, so i just want to find the right place for me. The men, I did hear where fine, so I'll keep yall posted. The jobs, are pretty easy to getting and the cost of living is pretty good to. So I pray that all turns out well. I'll be down there in a month so we shall see.

Posted By: keepgrowing
Date Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 11:22am
Your coming from Phoenix? Lol then you are going to love Houston.

Posted By: Star007
Date Posted: Apr 12 2011 at 12:20pm
Lmfao..these responses have me crackin up!

Before I ever went to TX, i thought i was just gonna see tumble weed and cowboys, boy was i wrong!  i went to San Antonio & San Marcos and really liked it.  Actually considering moving out there in the near future.

Posted By: James Avery
Date Posted: Apr 13 2011 at 7:53am
All of the comments about the humidity in Houston are correct. Imo, Houston also has the best looking women in the South. 

Traffic SUCKS!!!! man I hate Houston traffic. The strip clubs are pretty damn good, Onyx is my fav. Hope this helps and welcome to Texas.

Posted By: ThoughtCouture
Date Posted: Apr 13 2011 at 9:51am
i had lunch with my boss who used to live in houston yesterday and he told me that if you have livestock in your yard, you don't have to pay property taxes...

Date Posted: Apr 13 2011 at 10:04am
Originally posted by ThoughtCouture ThoughtCouture wrote:

i had lunch with my boss who used to live in houston yesterday and he told me that if you have livestock in your yard, you don't have to pay property taxes...

Stop playing!ShockedConfused

Date Posted: Apr 13 2011 at 10:08am
I have friends in Houston and I love it there. (I wanted to relocate there at one point but I was suckered into buying a house yrs ago and now I'm stuck.) All of them have been there for years and they have great things to say about it other than humidity & traffic. Good luck OP!

Posted By: HunnyB
Date Posted: Apr 13 2011 at 10:16am
Oh and before you travel, make sure you don't live in a ward... 3rd ward....5th ward....all that is hood

*sn: these avis 2 dam big*

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 5:56pm
ok this might be me next month

Posted By: Fcgriffin
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 6:04pm
Learn to drive real fast. Houston driving is the worst! #jmo

Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 6:15pm
So is southern hospitality still alive? What are the best area's to live for a SBF?

Posted By: missunfoolish
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 6:16pm
people really think theres just cowboys and dirt here? lol

Posted By: Cream1970
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by Fcgriffin Fcgriffin wrote:

I disagree. I loved driving in Houston. Was so refreshing. No place is worst than San Antonio..

I've been in at least 25 of the 50 states and numerous cities in each state..

SAN ANTONIO has the worst drivers in the world. And if they aren't, I don't want to go to the places that are worst.

I genuinely think these people WANT to kill themselves and anyone within car length. Nothing else would explain the reckless and unpredicatable way they drive.

Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 6:26pm
Lol! True. I live in SA. These people drive like NASCAR.
Originally posted by Cream1970 Cream1970 wrote:

I disagree. I loved driving in Houston. Was so refreshing. No place is worst than San Antonio..

I've been in at least 25 of the 50 states and numerous cities in each state..

SAN ANTONIO has the worst drivers in the world. And if they aren't, I don't want to go to the places that are worst.

I genuinely think these people WANT to kill themselves and anyone within car length. Nothing else would explain the reckless and unpredicatable way they drive.

Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 6:46pm
Are there Black cowboys to take you fishing like {in there eyes were watching God'} how much is an average 1 bed room apt? what are the better areas to live for SBF?

Posted By: ModelessDiva
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 9:12pm

thisss. all day

I shift into a different gear mentally when i touch down in houston...i know what's upLOL

prepare for ratchets, TERRIBLE TRAFFIC, traffic was so bad it made me cry once...especially if you have to commute across the city, hot weather, high humidity, and tons of booty shorts since its almost summer now(durrrty souf)

the good: cost of living isnt horrible, houston has tons to do/huge city, can be diverse in certain areas, good job opportunitiesThumbs Up

Posted By: Cream1970
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 9:19pm
Im salty that Scott Gertners SkyBar closed. I celebrated my birthday there 2 yrs ago. Hoping to be in Houston this birthday as well because my Baybee may compete in an NPC competition there my bday weekend.

Posted By: Lite Brite
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 9:24pm
LOL, traffic isn't THAT bad. SMH

Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 9:30pm
LOLeverytime i go it is...

but im always driving from one end to the other though....so its Pinch

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Apr 16 2014 at 9:33pm
Atlanta traffic in rush hour is hell. I'm sure Houston is the same.Cry

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 2:13am
Fishing? and Black Cowboys? Am I being ignored?

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 2:23am

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 2:25am

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 2:30am
Yeah nature. You'll love it. I go fishing in the bayous every day after work to catch dinner. When the weather is nice, my boo picks me up on his horse. When it's cold we take the buggy. We get in the HOV lane to avoid traffic. Thumbs Up

come on down

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 2:34am
and by buggy you mean????
sounds cool!

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 2:38am
LOL no.. I mean this

Sorry, it's a carriage. We country folks call it a buggy

Posted By: BBpants
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 2:40am
LMAOOO

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:06am
suddenly I am scared! LB are you serious? are there gators?

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:07am
so we really are ruining the Earth!

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:10am
I am going to come and live in something like this... yup!

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:16am
will you guys come and help me build my cob home?

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 3:18am
more about cob!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Frkps9jmCVM

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 8:12am
Very true.  We drove through Atlanta last month on our way to NC and my goodness!  It was like fast moving lava.  On the way back we were stuck for a couple hours trying to get through the city.  It was just the traffic, no accident no nothing. No bueno!  My kids loved it though Confused
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:09am
My family and I moved to Texas around 2006. I went to the alief school system (high school) and we lived in a very nice house in a gated community, it was five bedrooms and a huge backyard. at the time my parents were renting and for all of that they paid about 1800 a month. We moved from New York so it definitely took some time getting used to the difference in people. In general Houston runs at a slower pace, the people are somewhat friendly and of course its hot as hell (Humidity is a bitch) I also started college in Houston (University of Houston) the tuition is cheaper! and a good quality education.

As far as the party scene I really don't know because I only went out a handful of times while I lived there. Overall its a nice family oriented place, I hear that Austin is way better for singles. We lived in Houston for about three years and I think you'll like it. The food is awesome and so is the weather.

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:28am
btw... a handful of people rode horses to school on a daily bases

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:32am
I was considering Houston last year, the col was great, I was just looking for the right neighbourhood for me...but I cant take the heat

people say everything and everywhere is air conditioned but nah. im not nice when Im hot

Posted By: Bribby
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:34am
Yup humidity. Crazy weather changes. Rainy to sunny to rainy to cold.
MM heard the Southside is NOT where you want to be.
Or downtown, very busy.

Honestly surrounding towns are the best bet but you'll have to travel and account for traffic.

Lots of Mexicans, but a little more white people than further south Texas.

Mexican food and good soul food as well. Timmy Chans? is good I've heard...

Very good night life, idk what age you are but Toc Bar is for the very youngins if you get invited lol

I'm just going off of what I've heard and seen been a few times..

Posted By: yaya24
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 9:46am
humidity/rain

&

pretentiousness

LOL

I was born in the H. We left when I was very young & moved to a Dallas suburb.
I go every summer to visit family/friends.

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 11:53am
yes i agree with bribby...lots of mexicans....

i remember being cold as fukk when i got up for school like 6-7am then it started heating up around 10am...i actually used to see ppl wearing coats

Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 12:02pm
youll also be shocked by the wards....these places are uninhabitable! I saw a baby dangling his feet outta a busted window..it was very disheartening to see places like this less than 2 blocks from a major metropolitan area. I hope things have changed since the last time i was there (2009)

Posted By: sexibeach
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 12:03pm
flying cockroaches.. 

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 12:52pm
IA. After getting caught, I always plan to be in & out of ATL before or after rush hour. Never again!Stern SmileLOL

Very true.  We drove through Atlanta last month on our way to NC and my goodness!  It was like fast moving lava.  On the way back we were stuck for a couple hours trying to get through the city.  It was just the traffic, no accident no nothing. No bueno!  My kids loved it though Confused
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

Posted By: NuAttitude
Date Posted: Apr 17 2014 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by sexibeach sexibeach wrote:

flying cockroaches.. 

UH No!  These things will make you run into trees or out in traffic.  That's why I wouldn't move to New Orleans or Fla.  When they come out at night for their gathering, they look like blankets covering the sidewalks n streets.LOLDead

Date Posted: Apr 20 2014 at 8:06pm
man oh man sounds interesting

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 1:20am
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

LOL no.. I mean this

Sorry, it's a carriage. We country folks call it a buggy

poor horseCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCryCry

Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 1:37am
LOL don't let these people scare you away. The hoods are not that bad (ok, well maybe the super southwest ones, but not the wards. 3rd ward is weird, and cool). And yes, you will be in them. But this ain't Chicago. You'll be fine.

Date Posted: Apr 21 2014 at 1:41am
Originally posted by sexibeach sexibeach wrote:

flying cockroaches.. 

ConfusedShockedSickQuestion

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 8:10am
Originally posted by shoulderlengthb shoulderlengthb wrote:

I heard the brothas were extra fine in Texas..when you find out if it's true or not let us know something.

They fine and dumb as hell. All players especially in Houston, is how I feel.

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 8:13am
Naw there is cowboy boot wearer's in TX, in every city got to be in the right area.
So we got some people from SA Cool

Only city that be like a city and then just a patch of farm land with horses and cows and goats..
It's country.. it ain't like tumble weed, but some areas truly are..

TX is not like any place you've been...

Then SA is not like anyplace you been in TX 

Horrible ahhh drivers, half of em don't got no license

I seen someone I went to middle school with post on FB mind you we like 22 now, (im 20) "Finally getting my license today after so many years of driving without one.. im scared " lmfao

Posted By: nekamarie83
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 8:44am
Originally posted by yaya24 yaya24 wrote:

humidity/rain

&

pretentiousness

LOL

This is really the most accurate answer ever.

The best part is that it's pretentiousness over… things we're all fairly/commonly aware. For comedic purposes--

Me: What would you like to drink?

Houston friend: Oh… *sigh/eye roll/half drawl* back in Houston (or at home) we have this like perfect mixture of hydrogen and oxygen… I don't think y'all have it here though.

Me: Water? You're describing water. We have water here.

Houston friend: No… *sigh/eye roll/half drawl* I'm pretty sure it's not free.

Me:

Everything is a constant comparison to H-town. I can't stand that generally. Have nothing good to say about where you currently live? Can't adapt? Constantly comparing it to where you used to be/live? Then, frankly, work on taking your ass back to where you came from and stfu.

It may take time, but clearly you (and the people you bore with this) would be happier.

Posted By: fckwitmeuknoigotit
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 9:16am

houston mosquito, tbh..

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 9:29am
Originally posted by nekamarie83 nekamarie83 wrote:

Originally posted by yaya24 yaya24 wrote:

humidity/rain

&

pretentiousness

LOL

This is really the most accurate answer ever.

The best part is that it's pretentiousness over… things we're all fairly/commonly aware. For comedic purposes--

Me: What would you like to drink?

Houston friend: Oh… *sigh/eye roll/half drawl* back in Houston (or at home) we have this like perfect mixture of hydrogen and oxygen… I don't think y'all have it here though.

Me: Water? You're describing water. We have water here.

Houston friend: No… *sigh/eye roll/half drawl* I'm pretty sure it's not free.

Me:

Everything is a constant comparison to H-town. I can't stand that generally. Have nothing good to say about where you currently live? Can't adapt? Constantly comparing it to where you used to be/live? Then, frankly, work on taking your ass back to where you came from and stfu.

It may take time, but clearly you (and the people you bore with this) would be happier.

Yessss!  I keep my Houston friends at arms length.  Lord they so effing annoying with the "Well here in Houston we have/are the best......."

Posted By: nemesis1
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 9:43am
Originally posted by Bribby Bribby wrote:

Naw there is cowboy boot wearer's in TX, in every city got to be in the right area.
So we got some people from SA Cool

Only city that be like a city and then just a patch of farm land with horses and cows and goats..
It's country.. it ain't like tumble weed, but some areas truly are..

TX is not like any place you've been...

Then SA is not like anyplace you been in TX 

Horrible ahhh drivers, half of em don't got no license

I seen someone I went to middle school with post on FB mind you we like 22 now, (im 20) "Finally getting my license today after so many years of driving without one.. im scared " lmfao

LOL

Posted By: goodm3
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 11:37am
You are young, single and with no kids...enjoy yourself in Houston. 

...TX has lots of opportunities, take advantage of them. If you are thinking of starting a business, Houston has a lot of support groups for black women business owners as well. 

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 11:42am

Yessss!  I keep my Houston friends at arms length.  Lord they so effing annoying with the "Well here in Houston we have/are the best......."
[ak]guuuurrrrl[/ak] love to death; gotta to take em  in doses. LOL

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by goodm3 goodm3 wrote:

You are young, single and with no kids...enjoy yourself in Houston. 

...TX has lots of opportunities, take advantage of them. If you are thinking of starting a business, Houston has a lot of support groups for black women business owners as well. 

Yup. And there is always something to do in Houston. It is a fun city. 

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 12:42pm
thx guys

Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 3:57pm
OMGGGGG!!!!!!
Im moving to houston next wednesday April 30 and was just about to make this thread. 

Where should I live?!!!

Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 4:03pm
ill be working in medical center but I need to figure out what area in houston I want to live in. Help!!!!! me!!!! Please!!!!! And folks talking about cost of living is cheaper. Ummmmmmmmm, half of the 1 bedroom apts I looked at are on par with the prices up north where I'm at. 

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 6:06pm
Originally posted by *Belle*Femme* *Belle*Femme* wrote:

ill be working in medical center but I need to figure out what area in houston I want to live in. Help!!!!! me!!!! Please!!!!! And folks talking about cost of living is cheaper. Ummmmmmmmm, half of the 1 bedroom apts I looked at are on par with the prices up north where I'm at. 

Houston has been increasing their prices unfortunately. 

Medical Center is an expensive area. A 1/1 for $1000 is considered a good price in that area smh.
Try har.com for condons/townhomes, but they are kind of pricey or just google housing with the area codes: 77054 and 77030 (medical center).

Rice Village is nice, but same price as medical center. Rice Village is 10 min from medical center. Downtown and midtown are very close to medical center as well, but sorta the same price range, but you might get lucky googling midtown or downtown apartments.

Pearland area is a suburb and about 20 minutes from medical center. They have affordable priced housing in that area. Try area code 77057 when searching for housing.

Southwest area is very affordable, but it is 30-45 min from medical center. Traffic is horrendous going from southwest to medical center during rush hour though.

PM if you have anymore questions.

Posted By: ppp38
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 6:17pm

The cost of living in Texas has skyrocketed thanks to people moving here in mass. The days of Texas being cheap are over. The cities yall are fleeing will go down in prices soon. 

Posted By: missunfoolish
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 6:29pm
i hope you can stand hot ass weather

almost died going out for like 5 mins today lol a/c was on blast
or i just hate hot weather.. its only 80 but ugh 

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 7:00pm
Originally posted by ppp38 ppp38 wrote:

The cost of living in Texas has skyrocketed thanks to people moving here in mass. The days of Texas being cheap are over. The cities yall are fleeing will go down in prices soon. 
thanked. the latest waves seem to be coming from cali, michigan and the carolinas. 

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by fckwitmeuknoigotit fckwitmeuknoigotit wrote:

houston mosquito, tbh..

LOLDead. Those hoes are sneaky as hell too. Too aggressive.

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 7:22pm
LOL @ neka! (Houston is the best city in the best state though.. and I'm not from here)

-There's a STRONG gold-digging community here

-Order a 3-wheel motion from Pappadeaux. It's not on the menu.

-Pappadeaux food is overrated

-Sams boat crawfish is the best

-Timmy Chans is like no other Chinese food you've ever eaten. Fine dining

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 7:32pm
anyone want to move out of the area?

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 7:34pm

OMGGGGG!!!!!!
Im moving to houston next wednesday April 30 and was just about to make this thread. 

Where should I live?!!!

my dreams have come true

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 7:35pm
Originally posted by Lite Brite Lite Brite wrote:

LOL @ neka! (Houston is the best city in the best state though.. and I'm not from here)

-There's a STRONG gold-digging community here

-Order a 3-wheel motion from Pappadeaux. It's not on the menu.

-Pappadeaux food is overrated

-Sams boat crawfish is the best

-Timmy Chans is like no other Chinese food you've ever eaten. Fine dining

cosign everything but papadeaux is good as fucc to me. i love their catfish and swampthings.

Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 7:42pm
^^^ James, are you coming into town for battle of flowers Friday ?

Imma go. Lemme pm fc…

Posted By: Ming
Date Posted: Apr 22 2014 at 7:46pm
When i spoke to someone around this time last year, she told me rent in the downtown area was like $100/2 rooms. NYC's col aint going down any time soon but im not moving to pay the same thing. I was considering NC.. smh

lol @ fleeing

Print Page | Close Window