Forum Name: Natural Hair Care
Forum Description: General Discussions on Natural Hair Care
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=305021
Printed Date: Nov 13 2018 at 10:35pm

Topic: Mixed chicks sue Sallys
Posted By: BlackstarBlue
Subject: Mixed chicks sue Sallys
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 5:12am
I really don't like the advertising campaign they had in the UK. Thats why i would never buy their products, rubbed me the wrong way. However Sally's takes the piss lol

This just in: one of the most beloved haircare lines for naturally curly women and kids, Mixed Chicks, just filed suit against Sally Beauty Supply. The reason? Mixed Chicks is claiming that the mega beauty chain's new http://www.essence.com/hair/hair_story/mixed_chicks_haircare_line_sues_sally_be.php#" rel="nofollow -

Read more: http://www.essence.com/hair/hair_story/mixed_chicks_haircare_line_sues_sally_be.php#ixzz1IGUdKVH3" rel="nofollow - http://www.essence.com/hair/hair_story/mixed_chicks_haircare_line_sues_sally_be.php#ixzz1IGUdKVH3

Replies:
Posted By: Bonjour baby ooowee
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 5:31am
i just purchased a bottle of it and used it last week from Sallys and I must say I LIKE, now I also purchased Mixed Chicks and I LIKE so yeah i went with the Sallys brand because i wanted to give it a shot and the price.

Posted By: niecyb
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 7:04am
I was wondering if they were going to do this. I guess I better go to Sally's and purchase some before they pull it.

Posted By: CaseyC
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 8:44am
Doesnt sallys make generic products of everyone... like there generic CHI silk fusion?

Posted By: RoxieDream
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 9:26am
Originally posted by CaseyC CaseyC wrote:

Doesnt sallys make generic products of everyone... like there generic CHI silk fusion?

yup .... the black & white bottles.

Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 9:28am
Sally's is probably just offering a similar product for a cheaper price. But a lot of generic products are named similar to the name brand ones .... at least from what i've seen in the grocery stores. I doubt this is anything new really

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 9:41am
Mixed Chicks is fighting a losing battle. I never used their products though, their message and advertising always rubbed me wrong....

Posted By: eboni1
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 10:05am
Originally posted by jonesable jonesable wrote:

Mixed Chicks is fighting a losing battle. I never used their products though, their message and advertising always rubbed me wrong....

Posted By: AllyOrNotAlly
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 10:15am
lol they're scared of competition

Posted By: tantoine
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 10:18am
I thought Mixed Silk was by Silk Elements. Oh well. I purchased Mixed Silk products for my sister and she loves it.

Posted By: prettypeal09
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 12:05pm
....so basically they just gave Sally's Mixed Silk free publicity Ermm, but I thought that companies can sell similiar, generic, products as long as the formulation isn't the same.

Posted By: brittsbee
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 12:09pm
Mixed chicks will probably when the lawsuit (trademark infringement)....looks like I did learn something in my business law class

Posted By: equestrian
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 12:13pm
Originally posted by RoxieDream RoxieDream wrote:

yup .... the black & white bottles.

they have everything generic, and out of curiosity I went and looked at a bunch and compared the ingredients of Paul Mitchell and other brand names... and they were all the same, to the letter

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 12:20pm
MehLOL

I believe mixed silk is by Silk Elements sooo

Posted By: NoMoreCrappyHai
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 12:22pm
Humm...

As someone stated it's free advertising for Sally's.  But I will have to try some out.  I know at my local beauty supply they have Mixed Chicks (I don't trust it) and it higher there than buying it online from there. 

Sally's needs to go down on there prices though, too dang expensive.

Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 1:14pm
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

MehLOL

right LoL

Posted By: Midna
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 5:29pm
They own the word mixed now? MC, sit down. Go back to chanting #Team Light-skinned on Twitter, smh.

Posted By: Alex Urameshi
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 7:53pm
Originally posted by Midna Midna wrote:

They own the word mixed now? MC, sit down. Go back to chanting #Team Light-skinned on Twitter, smh.

Posted By: mush211
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 7:55pm

Confused

Posted By: mscaribbeanma
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 8:01pm

yup almost ALL companies have generic brands even walkmart and cvs and target.

Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 8:45pm
Next thing you know, Dr. Pepper will be suing Dr. Thunder, Dr. Miracle suing Dr. Wonder, African Pride suing Africa's Best, and you know the rest.......

Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 8:50pm
^lol!

Posted By: Miyuki
Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 2:48am
Shady... that sucks

Posted By: dorislesure
Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 6:12am
Originally posted by prettypeal09 prettypeal09 wrote:

Next thing you know, Dr. Pepper will be suing Dr. Thunder, Dr. Miracle suing Dr. Wonder, African Pride suing Africa's Best, and you know the rest.......
lolClap

Posted By: Sinnamon_Mami
Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 7:20am
LOL@Prettypeal

Posted By: ilovhairweave
Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 7:28am
Originally posted by niecyb niecyb wrote:

I was wondering if they were going to do this. I guess I better go to Sally's and purchase some before they pull it.

Same here. Cry

Posted By: Merin
Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 7:37am
I bet Sallys has better attorneys then Mixed chicks. That said Sally's packaging looks nearly identical to the Mixed Chicks packaging. Now I am going to have to go to Sallys and try out the product. 

Posted By: ilovhairweave
Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 7:43am
Originally posted by mush211 mush211 wrote:

Confused

You missed the thread. LOL
Yep that's what was said on their twitter account.

Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 8:41am

O_O I think one of the african's did try to sue another back in the day....

Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 8:53am
Originally posted by ilovhairweave ilovhairweave wrote:

Confused

You missed the thread. LOL
Yep that's what was said on their twitter account.

LoL it's definitely true though LOL

Posted By: ScorpioLuv
Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 9:18am
Theyre suing over a generic version? Then everyone and their momma has a right to sueLOL

Posted By: Lordess89
Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 9:40am
Originally posted by RoxieDream RoxieDream wrote:

MehLOL

right LoL

IA.
Get over yourself Mixed chicks!
I don't use their products either because of the advertising campaign

Posted By: Nigerian_princess
Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 11:01am

Why are they suing Sally's when it's Silk Elements manufacturing it??Confused

Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 12:46pm
Originally posted by AllyOrNotAlly AllyOrNotAlly wrote:

O_O I think one of the african's did try to sue another back in the day....

I think there might have been an aspirin or pain reliever lawsuit decades ago (if I'm right).  I was googling an apparently these lawsuits happen all the time.  In 2009 a Malaysian Restaurant won a lawsuit filed against them by McDonalds over the name McCurry's LOL.

Posted By: fairytale_hero
Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 1:35pm
people need to find better hobbies than suing, and even if mixed chicks wins, they'll rename it GVP 2.0 or something

Posted By: brittsbee
Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 1:39pm
when you create "customer confusion" you infringe upon copywrite/patent/trademarks.  If it's too similar (packaging, color, name, etc) you can expect a lawsuit! Happens all the time in business law

Posted By: ScorpioLuv
Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 2:42pm

MehLOL

This, every mixed silk product i saw said silk elements mixed silk, so im confused 

Posted By: Dehinds
Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 7:20pm
I believe Sallys is the owner of silk elements. This is probably why this line is only sold in their stores. 

Posted By: jonesable
Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 7:28pm
If the issue is over trademark confusion because of the packaging then they may have a point, but Sallys will just put it in one of those black and white bottles.

Posted By: LovelyLexi
Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 7:35pm
Like someone already said....Mixed Chicks is just mad cause they have some competition (other than Kinky Curly & Miss Jessie's)....but most importantly...they mad that that shyt can be purchased for a fraction of the cost now...bottle of MC conditioner goes for $22-25....Sally's version is $7.99 in ATL...#sucks4dem#

Posted By: BklynMa1980
Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 7:39pm
Hmm wish I would have known Sally's sold this, spent over 50 on those products for my child, its good does what it says but if I could get it cheaper and it does the same thing they got my money!

Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 7:56pm

If the issue is over trademark confusion because of the packaging then they may have a point, but Sallys will just put it in one of those black and white bottles.

LoL they can't because it's not even a Sally's product

Posted By: katakana89
Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 7:57pm
Is that supposed to be an issue? I don't see a problem. Maybe bc I am light and am on that team *shrug* is the founder light? That could be why too.

Confused
You missed the thread. LOLYep that's what was said on their twitter account.

Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 8:19pm
Originally posted by katakana89 katakana89 wrote:

Is that supposed to be an issue? I don't see a problem. Maybe bc I am light and am on that team *shrug* is the founder light? That could be why too.

Confused

Geek

Date Posted: Apr 02 2011 at 8:23pm

Confused

i think the fact that they tried to draw some line in the sand is why nobody cares too much

Posted By: LIZZETTE81
Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 1:12am
Originally posted by LovelyLexi LovelyLexi wrote:

Like someone already said....Mixed Chicks is just mad cause they have some competition (other than Kinky Curly & Miss Jessie's)....but most importantly...they mad that that shyt can be purchased for a fraction of the cost now...bottle of MC conditioner goes for $22-25....Sally's version is $7.99 in ATL...#sucks4dem#
Exactly!!!!!! MC ain't goin to be runnin to the bank as fast, when you can go to Ole Sallys and get it for $8 (and for less if it's on sale). I've read about MC, and they ain't right for sure.....I got an understanding about "MIXED CHICKS"....oh, is it like that, then I looked at their web page and everybody is 'LIGHT" w/LIGHT eyes, and good mixed hair....Well to hell with them (sue me damn it),  I have the "MIXED Green Backs" Clap, and they will not get a red penny. I love Sallys anyways, they don't try to break a Censored..great prices and sales anytime of the week!!                                        I'm rootin' for Sallys to kick MC A$$  Clap!!!!

Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 1:17am
It's just a product, I didn't think it was that serious. But I never used mc so idk

Posted By: lovelynatural81
Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 10:30am
for alot of companies if there is a generic version of it or a cheaper option they manufacture both. Not saying this is the case here at all but doing my research has taught me that companies will do what ever they can to get your money.Ill have to look into silk @ Sallys

Posted By: jineat
Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 12:42pm
All I know is that I purchased it a month ago and I don't have to use anything else in my hair after I use the Mixed Elements leave in it makes my curls healthy and tight and takes out the frizz.

Posted By: Feroglobin
Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 3:47pm
I wasn't impressed with their twitter antics.
Confused

Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 3:53pm
I still don't see why it's a big deal. Ppl can't be proud to be Simpsons?

Posted By: PurrPoZe
Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 4:14pm

I mean....the whole brand "mixed chicks" turned me off because I'm not a mixed chick...but others have testified that it works good regardless of that fact....#team lightskin just pushed me off the boat. If they want mixed, lightskin consumers only then nothing is wrong with that

But I dont know the whole story was this posted on "Mixed chicks" twitter or a personal twitter? If it was the company's twitter, yeah it was dumb and if they lost customers well deserved 

Posted By: KurlieBeautie
Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 5:02pm
I'll definitely try Sally's version. I hope Sally's brings it. I may have missed it in the thread, but perhaps Sally's owns Silk Elements?

But I agree that the Mixed Chicks "mixed" brand turned me off, b/c it suggested that only mixed chicks should use their products.

anyone care to summarize the twitter fiasco?

Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 5:09pm

Mixed can't be put into one box. What about mixed kids who are mixed with dark skin Blacks and dark skin Indians? And you don't have to be mixed to have "mixed" hair.

Pretty sure the name is just a marketing ploy(lol what isn't?) to get mixed people who never understood their hair to buy their products. Or even clueless moms of mixed children to buy the products. lol rubs me in the wrong way the same as that justforme texturizer advertisement and Q&A section on the website.

And on top of that, they're tacky and their products aren't even that good, so I hear. :O they just mad cuz someone else is using their trick.

Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 5:25pm
http://forum3.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=296287&KW=mixed+chicks&PN=1&title=mixed-chicks-supports-team-light-skin-on-twitter" rel="nofollow - http://forum3.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=296287&KW=mixed+chicks&PN=1&title=mixed-chicks-supports-team-light-skin-on-twitter

http://forum3.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=296104&KW=mixed+chicks&PN=1&title=sallys-own-version-of-mixed-chicks" rel="nofollow - http://forum3.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=296104&KW=mixed+chicks&PN=1&title=sallys-own-version-of-mixed-chicks

I had to go hunting the topics down. LOL

Posted By: Bonjour baby ooowee
Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 5:27pm
yeah i tried em both and to be honest sally's is creamier & yummy for my hair too, shoot im bout to go online and get the shampoo & conditioner too...lol

Posted By: nico_ramirez
Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 5:30pm
I NEED TO SUE MIXED CHICKS FOR STRIPPING MY HAIR OF ALL THE OIL AND LEAVING ME LOOKING LIKE DAMN TUMBLEWEED ROLLING ACROSS THE ROAD

Posted By: eboni1
Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 5:33pm
i wont try mixed chicks as they are too expensive and only want to sell to "mixed people" Stern Smile

Posted By: joy6899
Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by Feroglobin Feroglobin wrote:

I wasn't impressed with their twitter antics.
Confused

or their products

Posted By: Veemack
Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 5:44pm
They do not own the exclusive rights to the word "Mixed". And "silk" is far from the word "chick". MC will loose this one. Competition makes better, if it is taken the right way.

Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by nico_ramirez nico_ramirez wrote:

I NEED TO SUE MIXED CHICKS FOR STRIPPING MY HAIR OF ALL THE OIL AND LEAVING ME LOOKING LIKE DAMN TUMBLEWEED ROLLING ACROSS THE ROAD

Nah if it left your hair like that then you aren't really mixed...

Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 5:48pm
black and white buddy.... their products just suck..period point blank...

Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 5:52pm

black and white buddy.... their products just suck..period point blank...

Are you sure about that? Cuz...mixed chicks is made for MIXED CHICKS! D:

Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 5:54pm
positive.. i found better results with just some ole regular azz tresseme and the stuff u told me to get from walgreens

Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 5:56pm

I was just coming in here to say this, they have no case

Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 5:57pm
Originally posted by Sleek Sleek wrote:

yea you are right because its thats the case then walmart can get sued for equate and sams choice.. every product from soda to prescription has a generic... 

Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 6:02pm

positive.. i found better results with just some ole regular azz tresseme and the stuff u told me to get from walgreens

Q_Q but if it doesn't work for mixed chicks...then who does it work for?!

lol but glad you found something better. Race isn't the most important thing when it comes to hair... And I find a lot of cheaper stuff work better than the expensive stuff. Ingredients are key.

Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 8:49pm
Originally posted by AllyOrNotAlly AllyOrNotAlly wrote:

Nah if it left your hair like that then you aren't really mixed...

LOL LOL

Date Posted: Apr 03 2011 at 8:55pm

Originally posted by Sleek Sleek wrote:

yea you are right because its thats the case then walmart can get sued for equate and sams choice.. every product from soda to prescription has a generic... 

i thought that originally too but brand name food items & their generic counterparts are sometimes produced in the same place, by the same people.

this issue is a losing battle because MC doesn't own the word Mixed nor do they own the copyright on the packaging

if this was a bigger company, i might think they'd have a chance. there's a university that recently sent a cease & desist order to four high schools in Georgia because their school's mascot emblem is too close to the university's. so the schools have change their logos on everything.

i'm pretty sure MC doesn't have that type of bank though

Date Posted: Apr 04 2011 at 9:48am
they don't but larger companies do sue and win bc they own names. Like Mc in McDonald's no one else can use Mc. McDonalds is $$$$$$$$$$$$ richer than MC so yeah..

but Ally, that made more sense for me. I never used their products but it seemed like a fail marketing scheme to me, multiracial and all.

Originally posted by Veemack Veemack wrote:

They do not own the exclusive rights to the word "Mixed". And "silk" is far from the word "chick". MC will loose this one. Competition makes better, if it is taken the right way.

Posted By: Longhairwanted8
Date Posted: Apr 04 2011 at 9:55am
Silk Elements is a Sallys brand.  Thus the reason you never see the products in regular BSS

Posted By: Merin
Date Posted: Apr 04 2011 at 10:08am
I actually bought some of the conditioner (the Sally's version)this weekend because of the lawsuit.  I didn't like the Mixed Chicks shout out to those attending the Light skinned party in Atlanta. It rubbed me the wrong way, even though I am light-skinned( well in the winter at least ) 

Date Posted: Apr 04 2011 at 10:26am

they don't but larger companies do sue and win bc they own names. Like Mc in McDonald's no one else can use Mc. McDonalds is $$$$$$$$$$$$ richer than MC so yeah..

but Ally, that made more sense for me. I never used their products but it seemed like a fail marketing scheme to me, multiracial and all.

Originally posted by Veemack Veemack wrote:

yeah i think it's definitely all going to come down to money lol

Date Posted: Apr 04 2011 at 10:38am
Originally posted by Merin Merin wrote:

I actually bought some of the conditioner (the Sally's version)this weekend because of the lawsuit.  I didn't like the Mixed Chicks shout out to those attending the Light skinned party in Atlanta. It rubbed me the wrong way, even though I am light-skinned( well in the winter at least ) 

I hope you don't mean this type of shyt...Angry

Posted By: *Belle*Femme*
Date Posted: Apr 04 2011 at 11:01am
Well i better go buy some Mixed Silk before they are pulled from the shelves. That Mixed Chick Shampoo is the WOAT.That drying engine cleaner. Get that ish outta here

Posted By: sexibeach
Date Posted: Apr 04 2011 at 11:20am
i'm glad ot know that sally's has another version.. i'd like to try it, b/c frankly i don't like mixed chicks products and never have.. i like the curl biz much better.. also sally's has another version that they make like WEN by chaz called HAIR ONE.. the same stuff cheaper.. loves it... if mixed chick are taht silly to make a dumb azz comment on twitter nobody should support them.. but i'm sorry that those that are taking offense to mixed chicks campaign in general, but it is really that's their target area, and there's nothing wrong with that..  You got mixed kids with white momma's that don't know jack about doing their childs hair and they have a real need to have these kinds of products and resources, if for no other reason but that.. jsut the same way they have a real needs to provide products for all kinds of different eththic hairs types.. this ain't brand new, there are many types that offer products, Asian's have their products, white women their products.. i can see if your offended over the twitter thing if mixed chicks is being that silly than that was pure stupidity and i wouldn't be supportive for that alone.. but to be offended in general as if having this resource available is only to purposely leaving AA women out, its not about that, its about providing a product for the hair texture.. maybe mixed chicks is tripping, but there is seriously a real need to provide products for all hair types..it shouldn't be use to be offensive, or taken as a offense anyone..  

Date Posted: Apr 04 2011 at 2:24pm
Someone brought up McDonald's copyright infringement and I instantly thought of WacArnold's from Coming to AmericaLOL

Date Posted: Apr 04 2011 at 2:35pm
This is why I thought ppl here were tripping about at first, like srsly? but someone explained what the issue was.

Originally posted by sexibeach sexibeach wrote:

i'm glad ot know that sally's has another version.. i'd like to try it, b/c frankly i don't like mixed chicks products and never have.. i like the curl biz much better.. also sally's has another version that they make like WEN by chaz called HAIR ONE.. the same stuff cheaper.. loves it... if mixed chick are taht silly to make a dumb azz comment on twitter nobody should support them.. but i'm sorry that those that are taking offense to mixed chicks campaign in general, but it is really that's their target area, and there's nothing wrong with that..  You got mixed kids with white momma's that don't know jack about doing their childs hair and they have a real need to have these kinds of products and resources, if for no other reason but that.. jsut the same way they have a real needs to provide products for all kinds of different eththic hairs types.. this ain't brand new, there are many types that offer products, Asian's have their products, white women their products.. i can see if your offended over the twitter thing if mixed chicks is being that silly than that was pure stupidity and i wouldn't be supportive for that alone.. but to be offended in general as if having this resource available is only to purposely leaving AA women out, its not about that, its about providing a product for the hair texture.. maybe mixed chicks is tripping, but there is seriously a real need to provide products for all hair types..it shouldn't be use to be offensive, or taken as a offense anyone..  

Posted By: meanie23
Date Posted: Apr 04 2011 at 3:04pm

Someone brought up McDonald's copyright infringement and I instantly thought of WacArnold's from Coming to AmericaLOL

LOL "Welcome to McDowell's"!

Date Posted: Apr 04 2011 at 3:10pm
^Eek you are right. Where did I get WacArnold's from? LOL

Posted By: Sleek
Date Posted: Apr 04 2011 at 4:31pm

You knowLOL you know he was wack

Date Posted: Apr 04 2011 at 4:45pm

Dave Chappelle

Posted By: niecyb
Date Posted: Apr 06 2011 at 9:57pm

MC is just mad because Sally's beat them to the punch. They made a product "comparable" to MC for a lower cost, plus it's readily available. Those that are loyal to MC will most likely stay using there products but those who are curious about the product and don't want to shell out a lot of cash for something they don't will work or not will try Sally's brand.

Posted By: nostalgiajones
Date Posted: Apr 06 2011 at 10:16pm
Mixed Chicks is fight a losing battle... uphill

Date Posted: Apr 06 2011 at 10:30pm
Thanks ally.

*goes to look up video for a laugh*

Print Page | Close Window