Forum Name: Weaves / Extensions
Forum Description: Discussions on Weaves
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=304822
Printed Date: Dec 13 2018 at 7:21am

Topic: Colored hair is ghetto?
Posted By: snickerdoodle17_1
Subject: Colored hair is ghetto?
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 3:03pm
I was on a youtube and I found a video that describes exactly what I'm going through. I love hair and I love changing my style. A couple of days ago I was discussing with a guy I know about a haircolor I wanted to try. He was like Color? He basically said that colored hair looked unatural and ghetto on black girls and he hated seeing it. I was like WAIT do you know how many white, asian , latino women dye their hair unnatural colors? He told me when he sees a girl with a colored hair thats how he knows its fake. Normally I would have rolled my eyes  and thought it was HIS wierd thinking and I told other people about was this silly boy said and they agreed!!!!!  I dont care if Im dark I love color weaves because its unique and makes you stand out! How do you feel about this issue? Do you color your weave? Any thoughts? heres a link to the video  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29_FXxatY14" rel="nofollow - http:///www.youtube.com/watch?v=29_FXxatY14

Replies:
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 3:06pm
Oh i just remembered! I have naturally long hair and when it was my natural brown people always knew it was my hair but I died it red on a whim once and ppl automatically assumed it was fake. Why is it when my Asian friend started wearing a pink wig people just assumed she died her natural hair. No one thought it was weave. So wierd!

Posted By: dreamz
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 3:09pm
lol.

how old are you snick?

Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 3:16pm
I'm 19Smile

Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by snickerdoodle17_1 snickerdoodle17_1 wrote:

I'm 19Smile

i figuredLOL

if your hair compliments you, you like it, and most importantly you PAID for it...

tell them to kick rocks in flip flop sandals & do youWink

Posted By: rredict
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 3:22pm
I have to admit. Some color hair I don't like either. I think it depends on your skin toned if it looks natural or not.

I prefer to keep mine jet black or off-black because I feel I look my best with those shades.

To each his own through.

Posted By: TOUSHA11
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 3:27pm
A little color never hurt anyone I love a 27/30 combo myself. It all depends on the color now pink,blue,green, and purple unnatural colors like that does seem Ghetto to me wear on a daily basis but if you like it I love it. First and foremost you grown you pay your own bill you buying your hair so I say forget what anyone else thinks.Do what makes you happy and keeps you looking FLY.Clap

Posted By: PerfectBlending
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 3:44pm
color is the ONLY way I roll.

Posted By: LovesLace
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by dreamz dreamz wrote:

I'm 19Smile

i figuredLOL

if your hair compliments you, you like it, and most importantly you PAID for it...

LOL

Posted By: CaramelDelight89
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 3:50pm
Color is beautiful when it is done the right way. But If you're talking about this rainbow/crayon colored hair that the girls these days are wearing, then that is a ghetto H.A.M.!!Pinch

Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 3:54pm
Originally posted by LovesLace LovesLace wrote:

I'm 19Smile

i figuredLOL

LOL

Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 3:54pm
Im not trying to go crazy now! I just want reddish brown color maybe a nice burgundy

Posted By: kaai
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 3:55pm
some people see it that way.... if u r a teenager u will experiment... we all have . mY mom  hated a highlight here & there....
it depend on where u r in life, how u dress & carry yourself....
& if u care that u may be prejudged when u wear rainbow colors. (like the girl on Luv that girl!!) she's funny!
who would hire her in an office dressed & hair colored like that?  LOL

what would u think if u walked in & saw her in a office? Confused

Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 3:56pm
Originally posted by CaramelDelight89 CaramelDelight89 wrote:

Color is beautiful when it is done the right way. But If you're talking about this rainbow/crayon colored hair that the girls these days are wearing, then that is a ghetto H.A.M.!!Pinch

Posted By: 27brwnsug
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 3:57pm
You can wear 28 different shades of the rainbow on your head, if you look fly doing it you might start a trend.

Posted By: 27brwnsug
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 3:58pm

rotfl LOLCryDead

Posted By: CaramelDelight89
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 4:00pm

LMAOLOL @ dreamz

Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 4:01pm
Originally posted by 27brwnsug 27brwnsug wrote:

You can wear 28 different shades of the rainbow on your head, if you look fly doing it you might start a trend.

Well I look fly in anythingWink

Posted By: IAmAliciaMarie
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 4:04pm
I say do whatever makes you happy and comfortable. As long as it doesn't get you in trouble with school or work then it's fine. I prefer subtle colors. When you're young bright colors may be fine but when you're older and/or trying to get a job or something it may be a turn off.

Posted By: Bahiyieh
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 5:42pm

I'm 19Smile

i figuredLOL

LOL

LOVE THe video of Stanley!! To be honest, I dislike colored hair in unnatural tones on everyone LOLLOLLOL. I mean whatever, go brown, go black, go for reddish tones, but: Blue, Purple, Pink, and anything that comes in a marker or highlighter color and yah, I'll think that you're either someone who attends raves frequently which is fine or in highschool. Not so much ghetto on dark skin, not ghetto period, I personally find it looks tacky and trashy...No matter how you're dressed up in that little blck dress, ur still the chick with freakn hot pink hair...And ppl prob. find me boring. lol

LOL

Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 5:45pm

Originally posted by 27brwnsug 27brwnsug wrote:

Well I look fly in anythingWink

Confidence is attractive. Lol.

I guess we can be comforted by the fact that for every attractive and unattractive trend, there is a person with good or bad taste that can appreciate that statement and be a fan.

We all look good to someone out there.

Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 5:49pm

I'm 19Smile

i figuredLOL

LOL

LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Posted By: Belladonna1
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 5:49pm
It is, if you wearing loud ass colors (orange, green, blue, pink, platinum blond, and etc)

Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 5:51pm

I can't breathe..............................Cry

I hate you so much right now LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Posted By: Becky
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 5:51pm
Umm I think it's ghetto too.

'The curtains have got to match the carpet'. Otherwise it looks contrived.

I don't even like it when White girls lighten their hair - unless they are extremely White - otherwise it lools contrived too.

In this case .. I think her 'friend' was just threatened by her ...

Posted By: SexyVetta
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 6:01pm
LOL

Color is beautiful when it is done the right way. But If you're talking about this rainbow/crayon colored hair that the girls these days are wearing, then that is a ghetto H.A.M.!!Pinch

I hate you so much right now LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL
Oh esus where do you guys get these gifs...CryCryLOL

Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 6:04pm
Truthfully, I do automatically think ghetto when I see crazy colors. Green, money for weave, and skittles. I mean we should be tasting the rainbow not wearing it. But to each his own...

Posted By: misjaghuar
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 6:12pm

i know that if my crown or the hair on top is lighter it makes my hair look fake. it is best for me to dye the top darker and put a few #2 WEFTS THROUGH.

but i really want to try to put a few locks of blond in my hair. that should look good.

Posted By: harley_quinn
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 6:17pm
To me it depends,some girls can pull it off and just look kind of punk or edgy

Posted By: AngelaLeigh
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 6:18pm

Omg.. why did I peek in here! LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

Posted By: Lilnicka4u2nv
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 6:19pm
Ive always been known for being "artsy" and "edgy" (im an MUA) with the big hair and "strange" fashion sense in combination with the way I carry myself, which is far from "ghetto", so color could never really look ghetto on me, people will usually think edgy/rocker/hipster before ghetto...

I always say its not what you wear, but how you wear it, and how you carry yourself wearing it...

I cant wait to go blue!Big smile

Posted By: Black Pearl 18
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 6:23pm

I'm 19Smile

i figuredLOL

I agree with Dreamz, I love Rihanna's bright red hair, I on the other hand couldn't pull it off (35+ with a serious corporate job), I have to keep it pretty conservative.  But hun if you like it rock it and rock it well!

Posted By: Princess Grace
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 6:32pm
I work from home bedazzling stripper clothes, you know someone has to put Ms. Sugar Cooch on those outfits but I digress. I often wonder why people worry about what other people are doing with their hair color, weave length etc. 

If pink hair is not your thing don't wear it, IMO its not ghetto. Ghetto is a state of mind not a hairstyle.Cry

Posted By: JusT*
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 6:37pm
Do what you want to do with YOUR own hair. Experiment with different colors, textures or styles. I do not personally assume that because you have colored hair (rainbow in this case) you are "ghetto".

I personally stick with the basics because I am older and have a career that I have to take into consideration.

Posted By: brittsbee
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 6:38pm
Originally posted by Lilnicka4u2nv Lilnicka4u2nv wrote:

Ive always been known for being "artsy" and "edgy" (im an MUA) with the big hair and "strange" fashion sense in combination with the way I carry myself, which is far from "ghetto", so color could never really look ghetto on me, people will usually think edgy/rocker/hipster before ghetto...

I always say its not what you wear, but how you wear it, and how you carry yourself wearing it...

by looking at your avi, I think you can pull blue off easily!! You better work it!!

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 6:41pm
^IA!

My wardrobe was conservative/preppy when I had streaks of color. The good ol days of being an wannabe art major. lol but I didn't mind if some people thought it looked ghetto.

The only color that grinds my gears is hair that has been bleached to a brassy orange (u see it everyday) color. The color just looks burnt. I just wish people would cover it up and dye the orange streaks. LOL

Posted By: honeybee10
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 6:41pm
Originally posted by SexyVetta SexyVetta wrote:

Truthfully, I do automatically think ghetto when I see crazy colors. Green, money for weave, and skittles. I mean we should be tasting the rainbow not wearing it. But to each his own...
^^^^This...Stern Smile

Posted By: beautyspy
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 6:44pm
depends on how much color, and how she represents herself, i think.
I'm not ghetto by any means, but I rocked some blue hair before. Few tracks in the bang, and a few at tha back, i loved it, i got surprising enough compliments. lol even tho blue is blue, it was subtle.

Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 6:58pm
Originally posted by brittsbee brittsbee wrote:

by looking at your avi, I think you can pull blue off easily!! You better work it!!

Actually, there are certain ppl who can pull it off in that edgy way, looking at her avi i see she rox it well, i was thinking a head full of one bright color.but more than often i see it not working out so well.

Posted By: missbueno
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 7:38pm
do you hunny! opinions dont matter 

Posted By: tmrockville
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 8:06pm
oh I miss my colorCry I used to do 27, 30 and 33 all the time but now it's just dark brown.  To me it depends on the skin tone and the color should complement but I agree with the other ladies to do what you feel.

Posted By: MommaK
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 8:21pm
Originally posted by Princess Grace Princess Grace wrote:

I work from home bedazzling stripper clothes, you know someone has to put Ms. Sugar Cooch on those outfits but I digress. I often wonder why people worry about what other people are doing with their hair color, weave length etc. 

If pink hair is not your thing don't wear it, IMO its not ghetto. Ghetto is a state of mind not a hairstyle.Cry

DeadDeadCryCry
Why must you always make me cry from laughing

Dead< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="ifofjsCall==''jsCall;elsesetTimeout'jsCall',500;" id="jsProxy" ="">

Posted By: naturesgift
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 9:13pm
it might be.. I mean it can be.... it depends but not cause of skin tone more about personal style.

lets post examples of both

Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 9:17pm

Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 9:18pm

Posted By: katakana89
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 9:21pm
That's my natural hair color. My mom told me when we were in Japan, everyone asked if she dyed my hair. I was a baby!?! She said she wanted to slap the stupidity from some people, haha.

Then again, I think color does depend on your skin tone. If I dyed my hair dark, like black, it'd look fake and unnatural because it doesn't compliment my skin at all. I would never dye my hair though, I love my natural color :)

It really is to each their own. I don't mind wearing a hint of brighter color in extension hair braids, but that's about it. I don't wear weaves or anything.

Im not trying to go crazy now! I just want reddish brown color maybe a nice burgundy

Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 9:22pm
I'm sorry, every single one of these look tacky. I don't know if that was the point of posting these or not, but no. Just no.

Originally posted by naturesgift naturesgift wrote:

Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 9:23pm
now I see

LOL

Clap

it might be.. I mean it can be.... it depends but not cause of skin tone more about personal style.

lets post examples of both

Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 9:27pm

http://www.thefrisky.com/post/246-12-celebs-with-crayola-colored-hair/" rel="nofollow - 12 Celebs With Crayola Colored Hair

Kate Torgovnicks avatar

http://www.thefrisky.com/profile/info/4798/?UID=4798&plckUserId=4798&plckPersonaPage=PersonaProfile" rel="nofollow - Kate Torgovnick
11:00AM, 06/15/2010
http://www.thefrisky.com/post/246-12-celebs-with-crayola-colored-hair/#comments" rel="nofollow - Comments (22)

http%3A%2F%2Fwww.thefrisky.com%2Fpost%2F246-12-celebs-with-crayola-colored-hair%2F&layout=button_count&locale=en_US&node_type=1&sdk=joey&show_faces=false&width=90" rel="nofollow -

12 Celebs With Crayola Colored HairGhetto! yup

Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 9:28pm
First thing that came  to mind? not ghetto?ConfusedOuchSleepyLOL

Posted By: Napp
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 9:42pm

Dead

there used to be a girl who wore chunky pinks straks in her hair and her weave was always on point. but over all i am not a fan of weird colors. alot of people think they are eccentric and can pull it off but it still looks a hot mess in the end imo

Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 10:02pm

I guess I am a hot tacky mess cause I would rock Trinas red hair.Embarrassed

Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 10:07pm
It's fine for young girls but not a good look on chicks over 29 Dead

Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 10:08pm
Originally posted by MommaK MommaK wrote:

DeadDeadCryCry
Why must you always make me cry from laughing

Dead< id="gwProxy" ="">< ="ifofjsCall==''jsCall;elsesetTimeout'jsCall',500;" id="jsProxy" ="">

Well I was just saying, I run my own place of work from home so I can usually do what I want with my hair.  Adding rhinestones to crotchless panties is just one of the things I do.Wink

I guess I am Princess Grace with a twist of Shaniqua Alize Diamond Cartier BrownCry. I don't be paying people no mind, somewhat self absorbed. 

So yeah on I might have red hair, lashes, some long lashes, 5' heels and you can't tell me I aint fine.Big smile I been this way since I was 5 soEmbarrassed.

Posted By: india100
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 10:27pm

WOW .. I  encounterd THE  LADIES IN THE PICTURES.... air show .. augusta georgia ..please research your color orgasim ... classy & sassy for the win ....Embarrassed

Posted By: Tanzi2001
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 10:44pm
As a professional woman in my 30's, I wouldn't wear Rainbow Brite hair.  Since I work in a school, the only time that you would catch me with hair like that would be on Crazy Hair Day.  It's okay for my middle school students; they don't know any better and they think it's cute.  At this stage in my life, give me the natural tones.

Posted By: dani454
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 11:19pm
Too many ladies think that by acting big and bad and saying "f u" to the world that that somehow makes them look good....

Some ladies really need to think before they put random azz colors in their head. Sometimes, just sometimes, ladies need to realize they not Beyonce or Rihanna or Ms.Minaj ... nor are they shootin' a video like these ladies....

Just my opinion! Embarrassed

edit: and those CELEBS with colored wigs ... they do it for EVENTS. They do it to make a public image because they have FANS and this 'image' makes them MONEY. And they have stylists that make sure they look damn good. You ain't no celeb, you ain't got no event to go to, you ain't nobody. I hope some ladies understand this and one day, they make better decisions for themselves.

Posted By: Lo0vely101
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 11:32pm
I think it depends on what color & who is wearing it...

Posted By: Lilnicka4u2nv
Date Posted: Mar 30 2011 at 11:44pm
Originally posted by Bahiyieh Bahiyieh wrote:

Originally posted by brittsbee brittsbee wrote:

Actually, there are certain ppl who can pull it off in that edgy way, looking at her avi i see she rox it well, i was thinking a head full of one bright color.but more than often i see it not working out so well.

Oh I dont think I would do it that way Bahiyieh, even though I did have light brown and pink hair in JHS, it looked hoawt!! 

I was gearing more towards this...Jet black with midnight blue highlights, it would look moe blended since the colors are to eachother...

Posted By: HoneyS7
Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 1:50am

I hate you so much right now LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

LAWD I hate you Dreamz hahaha

Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 2:05am

ok, im not sure abt these for more than one night lol, reminds me of cindy lauper tho..

Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 2:06am

rihanna lookin fierce in that McDonald kinda way...busted lol

Posted By: GoatGoatEtc.
Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 2:40am
Colorful hair is for celebrities, hairstylists, makeup artists and people working in a profession allowing and inviting such freedom.

But for any chick with a 9-5, you're ghetto.

Posted By: emnorm
Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 5:29am
Originally posted by GoatGoatEtc. GoatGoatEtc. wrote:

Colorful hair is for celebrities, hairstylists, makeup artists and people working in a profession allowing and inviting such freedom.But for any chick with a 9-5, you're ghetto.

+1 this grown a$$ chick keeps it at 1b/2 with occasional highlights but that's just me...

Posted By: BeauTfllyBrwn
Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 5:41am
well I had magenta and platinum blonde streaks with my natural dark brown base WITH my side shaved. I worked a normal 9-5 and I AM FAR FROM GHETTO. Since my hair was natural I bunned it for work and rocked my fro on the weekend and I was 25. OP do you, appreciate the fact that you are able to step outside the box and not be defined by societal rules. What's funny is the guy was referring to all colors that were not her own. That's a small minded individual with small minded ideals. Do you...

Posted By: BeauTfllyBrwn
Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 5:46am
Of course these are EXTREME examples of color. Coupled with the outfits and make up it does become too much.

Originally posted by SexyVetta SexyVetta wrote:

First thing that came  to mind? not ghetto?ConfusedOuchSleepyLOL

Posted By: SistaHollywood
Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 6:12am

This is different

Posted By: SistaHollywood
Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 6:14am

ok, im not sure abt these for more than one night lol, reminds me of cindy lauper tho..

Why is it when regular everyday people step outside the box its ghetto and when celebs do it is rive gaucheConfused

Posted By: MissCaramel79
Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 8:43am
I think color needs to complement your skin tone period. It starts to look ghetto when #1 the color doesnt look professionally done, #2 it doesnt match you skin tone.

Posted By: Unique Monique
Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 8:46am
Originally posted by PerfectBlending PerfectBlending wrote:

color is the ONLY way I roll.

Posted By: scutie
Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 9:05am
No, it's not ghetto at allStern Smile

Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by SistaHollywood SistaHollywood wrote:

Why is it when regular everyday people step outside the box its ghetto and when celebs do it is rive gaucheConfused

Originally posted by SistaHollywood SistaHollywood wrote:

Not sure what you mean by rive gauche, as in  La Rive Gauche, Left Bank of the river Seine in Paris. I was saying its the same, Cindy Lauper is by no definition a fashion icon to me...She's FUN, she does whatever the fu** she wants and I respect that, girl got some balls, but she ain't my fashion hero. I personally favor subtlety, you wanna add color, hear and there, you go for the gold- or shall i say highlighter baby blue, and you just might have to bite the bullet a bit when people don't think you hella fine like that.

Posted By: KurlieBeautie
Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 9:13pm
Colored hair is for (maybe) high school kids, and people who either have no gainful employment or are not looking for any. Unless that person is employed in the arts, entertainment industry, it is ghetto. Period. 

Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 11:27pm
With all the Section 8 behavior and foolery I am happy to know that 85% of the people in the weave section work in corporate america.Wink

Posted By: drjo91
Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 11:37pm
Wait I am confused can someone explain to me how having color in your weave classifies is you as ghetto? I dyed my weave black is that ghetto? I was bored and tired of the dark brown. I have done highlights is that ghetto? Stern Smile

I don't get it, ya are taking it to the extreme. So when someone mentions color ya think of seaborn and sh*t? Ya know no one here is doing that shi.t.Wacko

Judging from the pics those hoodrats ain't young either. Stern Smile

Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 11:40pm
Originally posted by drjo91 drjo91 wrote:

Wait I am confused can someone explain to me how having color in your weave classifies is you as ghetto? I dyed my weave black is that ghetto? I was bored and tired of the dark brown. I have done highlights is that ghetto? Stern Smile

I don't get it, ya are taking it to the extreme. So when someone mentions color ya think of seaborn and sh*t? Ya know no one here is doing that shi.t.Wacko

Clap

Posted By: NaomiStarr86
Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 11:41pm
No, they're saying "colored" hair is ghetto- i.e. koolaid colors like bright red, purple, pink, blue, etc. Not black, lol. Calm down! 

Posted By: KurlieBeautie
Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 11:46pm
Originally posted by NaomiStarr86 NaomiStarr86 wrote:

No, they're saying "colored" hair is ghetto- i.e. koolaid colors like bright red, purple, pink, blue, etc. Not black, lol. Calm down! 

Date Posted: Mar 31 2011 at 11:48pm

I am under the impression that unless it is 1 or natural 2 then you are a ghetto hot mess with no real job or no real future because you can't possibly have a real income with streaks in your head.Confused

Colored hair is only acceptable for Rhianna, teenagers and artsy folks living in Soho before they grow up quit selling art and get with a real job.Shocked

Anyone else is a hood rat trying too hard and it should be not over one shade lighter than what you were born with.Wink

One girl went as far to say the curtains should match the drapes Shocked if you get my drift. The thing is I barely have drapes and I have been known to experiment with my carpet strip. It was bright blue before and you have not lived til you have someone come in for a landing with glow in the dark body paint but I digress.

And God forbid you wear lashes, and get a lil wild and put something on your lips besides chapstick. You might as well get Groupie Love stamped on your titays and wait for the Lil Wayne Tour bus to pull up in your city.Ouch 

Confused

Posted By: feminichole
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 12:10am
ClapClapClapClap

Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 12:36am
I was being sarcastic with the I dyed my hair black is it ghetto.

I still think that ish is crazy that colored hair=sea born and the hot ghetto mess pics posted in here.

I doubt that the OP is gonna walk around looking a hot mess like that and I am sure that there are better pics with a better coloring job...and not a rainbow on people's head. Do I think Seaborn's work is ghetto? YES.

Color can look good on some ppl if done tastefully.

I dont see how is it ghetto and I dont see as to why only young, artists, celebrities etc can wear it.

It makes no sense to me to be honest.

People do a bunch of coloring on here...highlights and all...with red hair etc etc. So now is ghetto?Ermm

Thanks PrincessGrace for showing me the ghetto hoodrat manual.Stern Smile

Oh wait I have black hair with some red on the tips I got sick of the bleached/lifted ends that I had(raven's ombre style). I got sick of dark brown hair too. Stern Smile

For the summer I will bleach some other hair I have for highlights.

Posted By: lovelife
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 1:24am
I've had a jet black layered style w/ face framing pink streaks & pink as the bottom layer. It was one of the most complimented hairstyles I've worn. The only person that hated it was my boss, but she hated me in general LOL

I think that it has a lot to do with how you style the hair. Once I graduate, I will probably keep it to natural hues though. I'm loving the reddish brown highlights I have now Smile

Posted By: snoble
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 6:50am

I am under the impression that unless it is 1 or natural 2 then you are a ghetto hot mess with no real job or no real future because you can't possibly have a real income with streaks in your head.Confused

Colored hair is only acceptable for Rhianna, teenagers and artsy folks living in Soho before they grow up quit selling art and get with a real job.Shocked

Anyone else is a hood rat trying too hard and it should be not over one shade lighter than what you were born with.Wink

One girl went as far to say the curtains should match the drapes Shocked if you get my drift. The thing is I barely have drapes and I have been known to experiment with my carpet strip. It was bright blue before and you have not lived til you have someone come in for a landing with glow in the dark body paint but I digress.

And God forbid you wear lashes, and get a lil wild and put something on your lips besides chapstick. You might as well get Groupie Love stamped on your titays and wait for the Lil Wayne Tour bus to pull up in your city.Ouch 

Confused

LOLLOLClapClapClap

Posted By: Jewelsnyc
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 6:55am
Originally posted by AngelaLeigh AngelaLeigh wrote:

Omg.. why did I peek in here! LOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOLLOL

CLASSIC

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 7:03am
i actually hate black hair. 

Posted By: QueenBeaEsq
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 7:14am
Originally posted by MissCaramel79 MissCaramel79 wrote:

I think color needs to complement your skin tone period. It starts to look ghetto when #1 the color doesnt look professionally done, #2 it doesnt match you skin tone.

Posted By: solo
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 7:23am
It's fine to have your own beliefs, and march to the beat of your own drum...

Just understand what people will think of you with smurf-blue, barbie blonde or fire hydrant-red hair. Employers are already looking for a reason not to hire you and an excuse to fire you. 

Posted By: mscaribbeanma
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 7:35am
natural colors like blkac brown sutle highlights are fine but when you puttin all them colos in yourhead fire read blue and al that ish you look GHETTO and classless and tasteless and no one will take you seriously. and quite frankly you shouldnt even try ish like that ifyou are out of college, over the ager of 22 and have a job outside of workin at the wetseal. f21, or anything of that nature. ya look crazy yea i said it

Posted By: MsMahoganyRed
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 7:59am
This thread is funny, on so many levels.  People are entitled to their opinions about color but not all will agree.  I do not think "colored" hair in general is ghetto, I think there are some colors that can be classified as ghetto (ie. green, yellow, bright blue, neon orange, pink and etc, etc.)  

My natural hair has turned a rather contrasting shade of auburnish red and gold  two times when I was in my teens due to living in a tropical area - my father dyed my hair jet black when that happened cause he didn't want people thinking they colored my hair those colors - my mother was livid cause it happened on it own.  It was actually nice and not until I got into my 20's did I experiement with color - I have experimented with auburn, red as well as blue black - where you can clearly see the blue.  Funny thing is I was hired with these colors at 3 different agencies, my position is a management position and the only people who seem to have something to say about hair color are black people UNTIL the white people say they like it.  Kills me but I don't do anything to my hair for OTHERS, I do it for me...so if someone doesn't like, I don't care cause I am the one who has to wake up with it...and I am well into my career and a mother of two - add to that I am FAR from ghetto, VERY FAR.

As long as it looks good and you and those directly involved with you have accepted it, then it makes no matter what others think.  People will do what is comfortable and acceptable in their life and those they are amongst.  Not everyone that does color is classified as ghetto and they shouldn't be made to think that either.

Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 8:07am
MS.MR I had the same thing happened to my hair, I used to be on the sun all the time.

I AGREE with everything you just said.

I was gonna say is it ghetto ONLY when black people do it because whites also be doing crazy hair colors to their hair.

Is like someone said in TTT...willow smith put some color on her hair (unnatural hair colors) and they are calling her a fashionista blahblah...some said that girls in the hood have been doing it for years. Then someone else said since is Willow Smith is ok but let a regular black little girl do it and shes ghetto.

The OP even said shes only doing red brown and burgundy on the first page, the way some ppl are acting in this thread as if shes walking around with yellow, red and orange hair on her head.

I think the red hair rihanna is rocking looks good on her, it would look a hot ass mess on me. The red Charlie Baltimore rocked looked good on her too...and it would definitely look a hot ass mess on me as well.

But what do I know? I thought we were all ghetto, BHM is viewed as the section 8 of all hair forums. A LHCF member once said that they see BHM as the hood full of women that will feed their babies bottles full of sodas instead of milk. DeadCry

Posted By: MsMahoganyRed
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 8:15am

MS.MR I had the same thing happened to my hair, I used to be on the sun all the time.

I AGREE with everything you just said.

I was gonna say is it ghetto ONLY when black people do it because whites also be doing crazy hair colors to their hair.

Is like someone said in TTT...willow smith put some color on her hair (unnatural hair colors) and they are calling her a fashionista blahblah...some said that girls in the hood have been doing it for years. Then someone else said since is Willow Smith is ok but let a regular black little girl do it and shes ghetto.

The OP even said shes only doing red brown and burgundy on the first page, the way some ppl are acting in this thread as if shes walking around with yellow, red and orange hair on her head.

I think the red hair rihanna is rocking looks good on her, it would look a hot ass mess on me. The red Charlie Baltimore rocked looked good on her too...and it would definitely look a hot ass mess on me as well.

But what do I know? I thought we were all ghetto, BHM is viewed as the section 8 of all hair forums. A LHCF member once said that they see BHM as the hood full of women that will feed their babies bottles full of sodas instead of milk. DeadCry

I remember that!DeadDeadLOLLOL

As for my natural hair - yep!  I STAYED in the sun and on the beach, i miss those days!  LOL

Posted By: sassiejasie
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 9:31am

Wait I am confused can someone explain to me how having color in your weave classifies is you as ghetto? I dyed my weave black is that ghetto? I was bored and tired of the dark brown. I have done highlights is that ghetto? Stern SmileI don't get it, ya are taking it to the extreme. So when someone mentions color ya think of seaborn and sh*t? Ya know no one here is doing that shi.t.WackoJudging from the pics those hoodrats ain't young either. Stern Smile

Confused

haha. Did your dreams get crushed or something? I'm feeling a negative vibe...Having a 9-5 office job isn't the only to live. Having unnatural colours in your hair isn't ghetto. I have an african american scene friend and she always experiments with unnatural colors and she is far from ghetto. Its all about how you present yourself with the colors.

Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 10:55am
Originally posted by sassiejasie sassiejasie wrote:

Wait I am confused can someone explain to me how having color in your weave classifies is you as ghetto? I dyed my weave black is that ghetto? I was bored and tired of the dark brown. I have done highlights is that ghetto? Stern SmileI don't get it, ya are taking it to the extreme. So when someone mentions color ya think of seaborn and sh*t? Ya know no one here is doing that shi.t.WackoJudging from the pics those hoodrats ain't young either. Stern Smile

Confused

haha. Did your dreams get crushed or something? I'm feeling a negative vibe...Having a 9-5 office job isn't the only to live. Having unnatural colours in your hair isn't ghetto. I have an african american scene friend and she always experiments with unnatural colors and she is far from ghetto. Its all about how you present yourself with the colors.

No My dreams didnt get crushed, Dreams are for people too lazy to make them reality but I digress. If you had READ what I said I stated that those ideas seemed to be the overall attitude of the board Not mine.

If someone wanna have blue hair and it makes them feel sexy who the hell am I to rain on their parade. If you got Charlie Baltimore hair and eyebrows I could care less. At the end of the day what I think don't matter and I dont pay any of your bills.

I guess I am  busy worrying about me and dont pay people no mind.

Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 11:07am

I was being sarcastic with the I dyed my hair black is it ghetto.

I still think that ish is crazy that colored hair=sea born and the hot ghetto mess pics posted in here.

I doubt that the OP is gonna walk around looking a hot mess like that and I am sure that there are better pics with a better coloring job...and not a rainbow on people's head. Do I think Seaborn's work is ghetto? YES.

Color can look good on some ppl if done tastefully.

I dont see how is it ghetto and I dont see as to why only young, artists, celebrities etc can wear it.

It makes no sense to me to be honest.

People do a bunch of coloring on here...highlights and all...with red hair etc etc. So now is ghetto?Ermm

Thanks PrincessGrace for showing me the ghetto hoodrat manual.Stern Smile

Oh wait I have black hair with some red on the tips I got sick of the bleached/lifted ends that I had(raven's ombre style). I got sick of dark brown hair too. Stern Smile

For the summer I will bleach some other hair I have for highlights.

I found it quite entertaining when mostly it is a lot of Food Stamp behavior going on up in through this piece. Ghetto is a state of mind, not a color of Jazzing hair dye. You can work in corporate america and still have a ghetto mentality.

Where you work does not define who you are, there are idiots everywhere.

Now everyone flying first class, at New York Fashion Week Front row, rocking St, John Knits on the weekend, and spend their weekends in the Hamptons with their hubby and nanny. Confused Red hair is for chickenheads. Cry

Their stashes are filled with pounds of EP, no one is asking Kevin to duplicate unicorn weave and money aint a thang in this piece. Wink

Posted By: NoMoreCrappyHai
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 11:58am
Hum, depends..

Someone mentioned Rihanna, she is famous so she does things to make people pay attention.  But I do NOT like the side show BOB look she has now.  It drowns her out, she is already light, makes me think of a red stop light.

But as far as being ghetto, it depends on your facial shape and skintone.

Look at Chris Brown, his hair is platinum and it looks so off on him, because of his skintone.  But if a darker person, did it, it looks ok to me...IMO..

Posted By: mocharoni
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 12:06pm
Geek

Posted By: miiszjanae
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 12:24pm

Posted By: meanie23
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 3:31pm
I think people call bright colors ghetto  b/c of the behavior/look of the people they "tend" to see wearing these outrageous colors.    I can say in my experience a lot of the time that I see bright or non complimenting colors on women the weave isn't installed well and/or has reached its' expiration date.
And yes when you see someone with an "off" color or hairstyle and they look  a certain age you wonder where this person works!  I think the same thing for grown men with corn rows.

Posted By: pinkstrawberrydva
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 6:22pm
I don't think crayola hair color is ghetto if worn tastefully. I have red in the front of my hair and wear it tastefully. 

Posted By: doubleaqueen772
Date Posted: Apr 01 2011 at 9:10pm
starts singing you can do what you wanna do where your hair any color lol LOLLOLLOL

Print Page | Close Window