Forum Name: Texturizers
Forum Description: Discussions on Texturizers
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=300600
Printed Date: Dec 17 2018 at 12:14am

Topic: Natural Hair Relaxers
Posted By: tatee
Subject: Natural Hair Relaxers
Date Posted: Feb 21 2011 at 10:04am
i saw this article and thought it might be a better alternative for some of you:

Natural Hair Relaxer

Here are some best natural hair relaxer recipes. Using these will help you have less curly, soft and most importantly, manageable hair.

Relaxers are the creams or lotions that are used to loosen the curls and make them more manageable and less frizzy. These process the hair proteins, making the curly hair, less curly or straight. While there are various chemical relaxers available in best brands, you might like to opt for a natural one. The chemical hair relaxers can have serious side-effects and damage your hair. Opting natural hair relaxers for curly hair is always a smart choice as these are complete safe on your locks. So let's move on to know more about some of the best natural hair relaxers. Read more on http://www.buzzle.com/articles/hair-care-products/" rel="nofollow - hair care products .

Natural Hair Relaxer Recipes

Natural Hair Relaxer #1: Olive Oil
Olive oil is one of the best ingredients for your hair. To make a hair relaxer recipe, take ¼ cup of olive oil and heat it till it is warm. Now remove it from heat and start applying it over your hair. Make sure you cover your entire mane and length of hair. Now take a warm towel and wrap it over your hair. Apply heat to the towel using a blow dryer for about 5-10 minutes. Wait for 1-2 hours and then wash off your hair as usual.

Natural Hair Relaxer #2: Coconut Cream
Coconut cream is another classic ingredient that works best for hair care. It is a popular natural hair relaxer. Take 4 tbsp coconut cream, 2 tbsp of coconut oil and 12 oz of fat free yogurt (no sugar added) to make the relaxer. Start by melting coconut cream and coconut oil in a double boiler. Now apply it thoroughly, from roots to tips. Wash off after an hour.

Natural Hair Relaxer #3: Milk
Milk is also popularly used as a natural hair relaxer. You'll need a small spray bottle for this. Pour a cup of milk into this spray bottle. Now squirt it over your hair, make sure all your locks are covered with milk. Wash off your hair after 1 hour to have relaxed hair.

Natural Hair Relaxer #4: Cocoa Butter
Cocoa butter acts as an effective moisturizer, by making them soft and loosening the curls. You can buy cocoa butter from a supermarket and apply it directly over your bangs. Make sure you apply a thick layer of the same on your hair. Finish by wrapping a damp, hot towel over your hair for bout 1-2 hours.

Natural Hair Relaxer #5: Lemon
Lemon works the best on hair by relaxing them and giving it a lustrous appearance. Take 1/2 cup lemon juice, add 2 tsp of honey and 3-4 cups of warm water to it. Mix well and apply this mixture on your hair thoroughly. Wash off as usual only after 2 hours and see the difference.

Natural Hair Relaxer #6: Honey
Honey is one of the effective natural http://www.buzzle.com/articles/relaxers-for-black-hair.html" rel="nofollow - relaxers for black hair . You will need 1 cup of honey, 1/2 cup of olive oil, 1/2 cup of lemon juice and 1/2 cup caramel. Mix these ingredients very thoroughly in a bowl. Apply it properly on your hair and wash off after 1/2 hour. This is one of the best natural hair relaxers for black hair.

Read more on:
  • http://www.buzzle.com/articles/hair-straighteners/" rel="nofollow - Hair Straighteners
  • http://www.buzzle.com/articles/straighten-hair-without-chemicals.html" rel="nofollow - Straighten Hair without Chemicals
You can choose one of the aforementioned natural hair relaxers and add them in your http://www.buzzle.com/articles/haircare/" rel="nofollow - hair care routine to have soft and manageable locks. These might give you slow results but are anytime better than the chemical hair relaxers.

By http://www.buzzle.com/authors.asp?author=31571" rel="nofollow - Mamta Mule
Published: 2/2/2010

http://www.buzzle.com/articles/natural-hair-relaxer.html

Replies:
Date Posted: Feb 21 2011 at 10:57am

http://thirstyroots.com/coconut-milk-and-lime-hair-relaxer-recipes.html" rel="nofollow - coconut milk and lime hair relaxer recipes

http://thirstyroots.com/author/ThirstyRoots/" rel="nofollow - ThirstyRoots | Feb 23, 2010 | http://thirstyroots.com/coconut-milk-and-lime-hair-relaxer-recipes.html#comments" rel="nofollow - Comments 2

coconut milk and lime hair relaxer recipes 1

Using coconut milk and lime hair relaxer recipes is said to be a natural way of relaxing your hair. Creating relaxer recipes with coconut milk and lime is interesting.  Many black women want to straighten their hair at one point or another in their lives.  Sometimes it is the grass is greener syndrome – you just want to know what it would be like to have straight hair for once.  However, a lot of women are turning to hair relaxers as a way to take some of the kinky out of their hair and make it just a little wavier and a little bit softer.  If this sounds like you, there might be an alternate to chemicals to make your hair softer.  Maybe you should think about natural ways to relax your hair.  One of the ways is possibly by harnessing the power of nature through  coconut milk and lime relaxer recipes.

coconut milk and lime hair relaxer recipes 2This method of hair relaxing has actually been used by women throughout Asia for centuries.  It is all natural and should leave your hair softer and silkier than before.  There are two basic methods that you can try; one is a little easier but the other produces less waste and may have better results.  For the first method all you have to do is mix the juice of a lime with about half a cup of coconut milk.  Let the solution sit for a few hours until a foam forms on top of the bowl.  Scoop off that foam and apply it to your hair.  Leave it sit for a few hours and then wash your hair.  The problem with this method is you end up wasting a lot of milk and lime.  Also, the mixture you do apply to your head can break down, run off your hair, and not be as effective.

coconut milk and lime hair relaxer recipes 3

A better way is to add your lime and coconut milk to a little bit of olive oil and a spoon or two of cornstarch.  Whisk all these ingredients together over a low heat until they form the consistency of a conditioner that you might find in a store.  This ensures that it will stay on your head better.  The olive oil also helps to keep your hair hydrated.  Then wrap your hair up in a plastic shower cap for a few hours.  Again, shampoo and moisturize as normal.  These coconut milk and lime hair relaxed recipes are good ways for you to naturally relax your hair.

You might also like:

Posted By: choclatey77
Date Posted: Mar 04 2011 at 12:34pm
I tried the coconut milk and lime, it did nothing for me.

Posted By: AllyOrNotAlly
Date Posted: Mar 27 2011 at 8:34pm
Those limes look soo good

Posted By: O0obubbleeO0o
Date Posted: Apr 15 2011 at 6:51pm
BUMP. 
Has anyone tried these methods?

Posted By: au_naturel
Date Posted: Apr 15 2011 at 6:53pm
there's at least one person on youtube who has a video up on the coconut and lime method.

Date Posted: Apr 29 2011 at 2:17pm
so i guess i sorta did my own version of thisTongue well at least the cheap, i refuse to buy one more damn thing for my hair, kinda wayLOL.  i just mixed yogurt with my dc  (roots of nature reconstructing deep treatment) and oil, applied it to my new growth and wore a conditioning cap for 2 hours.  rinsed it out, shampooed lightly, and cowashed.  my hair looked pretty much the way it always does so i didnt expect much but to my surprise it was really soft and easy to detangle. 
i then moisturized my hair with coco butter,curl activator and aloe mixture, i made months ago and styled.
its nothing like a texturizer but its a good detangler and im pleased with the results.

Posted By: vkb247
Date Posted: May 04 2011 at 8:26pm
All of these are treatments that may make a temporary decision but aren't quite like texlaxing/texturizing. The only treatments that I know of that several people say have changed their hair are:

The first two should be used with caution and I advise you to research them first because the jury is out on how healthy they are for your hair.

1. Mixing Baking Soda with Conditioner and Leaving it in for an hour or so
2. The Cherry Lola (Baking Soda, Braggs's Amino Acids, and conditioner recipe)
3. Henna (doesn't change most people's hair significantly and even if does change it is after many repeated applications)

Posted By: lexie636
Date Posted: May 14 2011 at 8:01pm
Any proven method?

Posted By: lexie636
Date Posted: May 14 2011 at 8:01pm
[QUOTE=AllyOrNotAlly]Those limes look soo good [/QUOTE
LOLLOLLOLLOLLOL]

Posted By: soyini53
Date Posted: May 17 2011 at 12:15pm
Originally posted by choclatey77 choclatey77 wrote:

I can't imagine coconut and lime straightening my hair.

Posted By: lilbit65
Date Posted: May 21 2011 at 8:11pm
I tried to Olive oil treatment, it make my hair shiney, bouncy and light, i dont think
anything can ever straigten this chaka khan hair of mine.

Posted By: magicallyfab
Date Posted: Jul 06 2011 at 7:53pm
interesting...interesting!

-------------

Posted By: modelbusiness82
Date Posted: Aug 01 2011 at 12:05am
Henna was the only thing that actually did alter my texture - and not a huge altering but enough that I can tell that my texture has relaxed just a bit. But like someone else mentioned - it took about 5 henna apps over a period of time for me to notice the difference. 

-------------
digital entertainment marketer -
BASM Blog: www.bigapplestyle.com

Posted By: BestHair
Date Posted: Jan 16 2012 at 5:04am
Anything that contains acetic acid is going to relax the curl a bit. Think of apple cider vinegar.Natural soda ash is very alkaline and some natural hair relaxer products are based on that.

http://www.besthairrelaxer.net/categoryatural-hair-relaxers-review/ - Natural Hair Relaxers

Posted By: myoic
Date Posted: Apr 23 2012 at 8:27am
I'm going to try the lime and coconut as a DC.

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: May 02 2012 at 3:25pm
Originally posted by soyini53 soyini53 wrote:

Originally posted by choclatey77 choclatey77 wrote:

I can't imagine coconut and lime straightening my hair.

LOL, it won't straighten your hair. Even chemical relaxers shouldn't be applied until your hair is bone straight...they're just meant to relax the curl.

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: May 02 2012 at 3:27pm
I tried the coconut and lime method about a year and a half ago. The first time I tried it, it didn't do anything to relax my hair, it simply moisturized it...I think because I only left in on for an hour.

I tried it again the following week, leaving it on overnight and it definitely relaxed my curl. I did it in conjunction with a steam treatment and I noticed a looser curl pattern.

Posted By: NaturalNessa20
Date Posted: May 19 2012 at 10:36pm

I never tried this, but I am going to have to try this! For anyone who has tried this, did it work for you?

Posted By: tiarra_monet
Date Posted: Dec 26 2012 at 5:46pm
I just don't have time for all the mixing and buying etc. if you ladies find a natural relaxer already prepared let me know

Posted By: Prazol60
Date Posted: Feb 02 2013 at 3:49am
I tried the http://www.lacocobella.com/2012/04/25/the-cherry-lola-treatment/" rel="nofollow - Cherry Lola treatment and while it is not the same as a texturizer it did loosen my curls nicely. I would do this again. I just got tired of my normal afro and wanted something different and I got it with the treatment. 

-------------

Posted By: femmemuscleisback
Date Posted: Feb 02 2013 at 6:16pm
my 4b/c hair just laughs at natural relaxers, any relaxer for that matter, then reverts and waits for the next test.

-------------
I've always said: If you have to wear a uniform to work? it's usually a sh*&tty job.

Posted By: momentoindigo
Date Posted: Feb 03 2013 at 3:43pm
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0S-w3j5u-as

anyone used/tried this? Thought it was interesting.

-------------
www.urbaneccentrik.com

Posted By: Abstraction
Date Posted: Jun 03 2013 at 4:56pm
This is such a great guide, very help & informative! I've used some of these before & swear by them! Natural hair care has always proven to be soo healthy and amazing for my hair! 

But I've also found that baking soda works really well! The baking soda cleanse really did amazing things with my hair

Posted By: rohanjain
Date Posted: Apr 14 2014 at 1:01am
I think the best natural hair relaxers is hair straightening.It is also an natural hair relaxer.It is initially changing the root structure.
It will not break the hair. 
It will make your hair soft.
       After apply this, you will have soft,strong and straight hair.  

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Jul 23 2015 at 6:22pm
the only way to know if those things work is if you use it weekly...
and i don't think anyone has used it for that long.

i think henna probably soften the curls but i don't think it straightens them
One Mexican woman told me that aloe vera straightens your hair, but her hair was like 1C so maybe that's why she noticed a difference fast; perhaps her hair just needed some deep conditioningLOL

Date Posted: Aug 13 2015 at 12:09pm
I didn't try the coconut cream tip on the OP, but I noticed that if I apply 100% coconut oil on my hair, it looks straighter than if I apply nothing.
I usually use the coconut oil that they sell at Trader Joe's, but yesterday I tried Parachute coconut oil and loved the scent.

Date Posted: Sep 05 2015 at 6:37pm
I saw a foreign blog saying that you can straighten your hair gradually by mixing 10 tablespoons of coconut milk with half a lemon. You leave it on for 2 hours and wash it off. I am going to try it because the girl who tried it, said her hair was soft, and it was also glossy after the first use.

Posted By: HappensW
Date Posted: Jan 18 2016 at 8:58am
I tried the coconut milk and lime, it did nothing for me....

Print Page | Close Window