Print Page | Close Window

4bs Who HEAT Train...PLEASE Come IN!!

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Natural Hair Care
Forum Name: Natural Hair Care
Forum Description: General Discussions on Natural Hair Care
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=285484
Printed Date: Dec 10 2018 at 10:24am

Topic: 4bs Who HEAT Train...PLEASE Come IN!!
Posted By: Malika
Subject: 4bs Who HEAT Train...PLEASE Come IN!!
Date Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 12:38pm

Any 4b naturals out there who heat train?

Replies:
Posted By: Swift
Date Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 1:29pm

Girl, if they're around, they sure are hiding (and I dunno why).  One of my girlfriends is doing that though.  She's growing out under back to back weaves but using heat when she takes out the braids..I believe.

Posted By: Lilnicka4u2nv
Date Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 2:23pm
Is Domin a 4a or 4b?

Date Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 2:43pm
I thought she was a mix, Nike`.

Malika, have you checked her out?  She's Longhairdontcare2011 on Youtube.

Date Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 4:05pm

thanks a lot ladies!!!

Actually I checked out Longhairdontcare2011 and I think she's a 3(something) …I guess the reason I'd like to talk to someone who is 4b because you would need to apply more heat more often …etc…or You also have to VERRRY careful doing this as it can backfire, I'm nervous but I still want to try it. I'm still stalking her though..her and brittany. 

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 4:08pm
i try but im way too lazy to do it so then i just wear weave. 

Date Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 4:08pm
Originally posted by Malika Malika wrote:

thanks a lot ladies!!!

Actually I checked out Longhairdontcare2011 and I think she's a 3(something) …I guess the reason I'd like to talk to someone who is 4b because you would need to apply more heat more often …etc…or You also have to VERRRY careful doing this as it can backfire, I'm nervous but I still want to try it. I'm still stalking her though..her and brittany. 

See that's the thing, she tells people all of the time that she didn't start out w/that texture. 
She may look like a 3-something now, but that's from the heat training.
She started out as a 4a/b.  But she's been doing it for years so her hair responds that way.
Is that your goal?

Posted By: Lilnicka4u2nv
Date Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 4:10pm
Originally posted by Swift Swift wrote:

Originally posted by Malika Malika wrote:

thanks a lot ladies!!!

See that's the thing, she tells people all of the time that she didn't start out w/that texture. 
She started out as a 4a/b.  But she's been doing it for years so her hair responds that way.
Is that your goal?

You beat me to it Swifty

Posted By: hautsdeseine
Date Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 4:17pm
What is heat train? What is it for?

Date Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 4:20pm
oh i didnt realize her hair had changed texture. duh. 

Posted By: hautsdeseine
Date Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 4:40pm
Meaning heat training is permanent.. Why just dont u BKT so ull have straight hair and could wear them curly after? I guess its better cuz if heat train completely change the texture, its like a relaxer

Date Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 4:41pm
LOL Epitome

Nike`Wink

Date Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 4:46pm
Originally posted by hautsdeseine hautsdeseine wrote:

Meaning heat training is permanent.. Why just dont u BKT so ull have straight hair and could wear them curly after? I guess its better cuz if heat train completely change the texture, its like a relaxer

I've read some ladies say that BKT also messed up their texture.  They indicated that their hair remained straight in some areas, like heat damage.
Others have reported that their curls clumped more when they returned and straightened more easily..that sounds like a texture change as well.

Date Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by Swift Swift wrote:

[QUOTE=Malika] 
Is that your goal?

Really??.thats great!

She uses a blow-dryer but 'd like to use the maxiglide- I think he process would differ a tad...I think??

For those who heat train one a week, are you still moisturizing daily? if so, what about reversion? 

Posted By: browngirl86
Date Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 5:20pm
I'm a 4b natural and my hair has been heat trained successfully for over 5 years and I haven't lost my texture at all. 

Posted By: browngirl86
Date Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 5:21pm
I only press my hair every 2 to 3 weeks.

Date Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 5:22pm
Originally posted by hautsdeseine hautsdeseine wrote:

Yup, I tried it 3 times..once with formaldehyde - Nothing  happened. With all the SSK, matting, tangles..I can't deal with it anymore. The only thing that’s stopping me from perming is the chemical …but if I'm not successful at the heat training I will perm or textlax. SSK etc are robbing my length : (

I wonder if a natural relaxer really exists? (I know there isn't one but Its worth asking I guess)

Phyto relaxer is suppose to be really good though, or so I've heard - ok Im getting off topic  

Posted By: Nubenap22
Date Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 5:30pm
I think wwestNDNbeautyy on youtube heat trains sometimes....check out her stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffjZQQIGelg

Date Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 5:35pm
Originally posted by browngirl86 browngirl86 wrote:

I'm a 4b natural and my hair has been heat trained successfully for over 5 years and I haven't lost my texture at all

Really?? I want my hair texture to change ...errrrr..I hope mine will! 

Date Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by Nubenap22 Nubenap22 wrote:

I think wwestNDNbeautyy on youtube heat trains sometimes....check out her stuff

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ffjZQQIGelg

thanks! 

Date Posted: Oct 29 2010 at 5:49pm

heat training with a regular flat iron vs maxiglide..is there any difference?

Id prefer the maxiglide because Im assuming it adds moisture to the hair …

Date Posted: Oct 30 2010 at 7:15am
Bump!!!

Posted By: ThatGurlD
Date Posted: Oct 30 2010 at 10:18am
Originally posted by browngirl86 browngirl86 wrote:

I'm a 4b natural and my hair has been heat trained successfully for over 5 years and I haven't lost my texture at all. 

browngirl86, can you post your regimen?  What products and tools you're using and how?  I would love the versatility and I think I have the type of hair that wouldn't lose it's texture either.  Pics?

Posted By: yaya24
Date Posted: Oct 30 2010 at 11:37am
Heat training is in my hairs near future.. not sure when.. but im thinking after APL I will begin the process of SLOWLY heat training 

Posted By: HairIam
Date Posted: Oct 30 2010 at 3:12pm

OMG I need this thread in my life! After dealing with so much ssks and tangling I've decided to heat train. As my hair grows longer its getting more difficult to deal with, when I started out 2-3 inches my hair was so easy to deal with, now that its longer (bottom of neck) it's becoming a chore. I've checked out Longhairdontcare2011 youtube page and was excited at first but then became a little discouraged because her hair seems to be in the type 3 range...or so I taught until I read up post and it says she started off as 4b.  Well that's cool, I only want to lightly heat train nothing too much just something to help me deal.

I also checked out Mwedzi's info and she stated that she uses heat sometimes too, so heat is not the enemy just how it's used. Any successful heat trained  naturals please give us your imput.

Posted By: Napp
Date Posted: Oct 31 2010 at 11:50pm

Im a heat trained 4a so i guess this isnt really directed at me, but Imma answer anyway.

i did the bkt and it had its good points but heat training was easier for me in the long run. i couldnt deal with the tangling and how i couldnt style my hair the way i wanted. my curl pattern didnt really loosen that much except for the very ends(but i am way past due for a trim). but the texture of my hair is different. it less constricted and more easily manipulated. blowdrying  with my hair at apl/bsb takes 20 mins compared  to an hour at sl when my hair rarley touched heat. i have retained most of my length doing this but it has only been a little less than a year of regular heat usage. this just gives me managablility. it kills some of the volume though, at least for me.

Date Posted: Nov 01 2010 at 1:20pm
@Napp-- What is your heat schedule/ routine

TIA

Date Posted: Nov 01 2010 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by yaya24 yaya24 wrote:

@Napp-- What is your heat schedule/ routine

TIA

i press every 2-3 weeks. it may not last 2-3 weeks though especially in the summer.

in the summer i would air dry, press and then flat iron,style.

in the winter i would blow dry,press and flat iron,style.

products:

cheapie shampoo and conditioner,

smooth n shine straighten polish for blow drying

and apex pressing oil for pressing. the apex is new(since august) it brings my presses to another levelCool everyone asks if i got a relaxer when i use it.

beyond the zone siff head. only for the very baby hairs that i cannot press.

i dont like air drying because even though i use less heat my hair tangled up so badly and i have nappy ends no matter how many times i comb chase.

now i am switching it up to: 

blowdry straight as possible with brush attachment

flat iron at 365 with chase method,using boar brush. applying a dab of apex per section.

press at 350 on edges and roots only.

style

Date Posted: Nov 01 2010 at 4:33pm
Thanks Napp

I am thinking about rolling my hair in large rollers first to get it stretched out then the heat. Hopefully that will work well for me

Posted By: sweetpea84
Date Posted: Nov 10 2010 at 6:02pm
Have any of you experienced damage i.e. split ends and dryness from heat training?

Posted By: soarlikecruz
Date Posted: Nov 10 2010 at 6:05pm
what's heat training?

Date Posted: Nov 10 2010 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by yaya24 yaya24 wrote:

Thanks Napp

I am thinking about rolling my hair in large rollers first to get it stretched out then the heat. Hopefully that will work well for me

some people also have success with air drying in large braids.  i like to get it all done in one shot so i blowdry.

Date Posted: Nov 10 2010 at 6:15pm

Originally posted by sweetpea84 sweetpea84 wrote:

Have any of you experienced damage i.e. split ends and dryness from heat training?

i have more split ends than i did when i never used heat but over all not that many. if i was to grab a bunch of hair maybe 5-10 would be split. and i havent trimmed in a while. any breakage i do have is from wearing my hair in tight bun in its natural state, which is just short hair along my hair line. my hair actually is easier to moisturize now that its heat trained. when i never used heat my hair would take FOREVER to absorb water. 

Date Posted: Nov 10 2010 at 6:49pm

Originally posted by soarlikecruz soarlikecruz wrote:

what's heat training?

To some its heat damage because the hair does not curl up the way it naturally would.

For me it is using heat on a consistent basis to make the hair more malleable. The curl pattern doesn't have to change but it can. The trained hair is easier to manipulate and shape. 

~Heat Training/Damage Spectrum~

when wet

No change>>>curl elongation>>>waviness of original texture>>>>>loose waves>>>Straight

the more removed it is from the natural curl pattern the more damaged it is IMO but it doesnt mean that you cannot retain and grow hair once it has happened.

Heat trained hair usually consists of the first 3 categories.

Brittanynic16 and Longhairdontcare2011 from youtube have what id consider the 3rd level of heat training: Waviness of original texture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS-NXORbNhA&feature=related" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS-NXORbNhA&feature=related

Britney also has level 4 and 5 on her ends.She plans on getting rid of them.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uua3KAkMC8" rel="nofollow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Uua3KAkMC8

Disclaimer: This is all my conjecture and has not been hairboard approved.LOL

Posted By: HairIam
Date Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 11:37am
bump

Date Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 1:20pm
LoL!
Nice heat training theory, Dr. Napp!LOL

Not sure if I'm going to heat train but I will definitely keep my hair stretched or blown out from now on.  The only time it'll curl up on its own is if I have it in mini braids/twists and do WNGs that way.

Posted By: femmefatale85
Date Posted: Nov 19 2010 at 2:36pm
I plan on doing it, but I'm not very consistent at the moment.

Posted By: darlinnic
Date Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 10:06pm
Bump

Posted By: Heavy Rotation
Date Posted: Nov 26 2012 at 11:17am
did you all see 160days youtube vid on the nano straightening system?  it seemed to have loosened her hair texture significantly - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1TBO9ZYEpo.  for the heat trainers, you might consider this method?

-------------
Natural Hair Girls do it curled up.

Date Posted: Nov 26 2012 at 4:57pm
Originally posted by Heavy Rotation Heavy Rotation wrote:

did you all see 160days youtube vid on the nano straightening system?  it seemed to have loosened her hair texture significantly - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1TBO9ZYEpo.  for the heat trainers, you might consider this method?

its interesting this is the route i ended up going back to! keratin/smoothing treatments.the main ingredient that does the smoothing is glyoxyl carbocisteine. I actually have some a treatment similar to this! thanks for the link.

-------------
Bougier than a can of Fancy Feast

Date Posted: Nov 26 2012 at 10:53pm
I have been personalizing a heat regimen for myself since August 2012.

Right now, whats working:

• Only washing 1X weekly.
  • Blow drying on low-medium heat weekly after every wash.
  • Light protein weekly in the shower for 5-15 minutes after shampooing.
  • DC for 3 hrs to overnight with a moisturizing DC after protein and before blowdrying.
  • Cassia & steam once monthly (cowash out cassia & moisture DC after)

• Every ~2-3 months flat iron after blowdrying

So far no straight pieces. Thumbs Up
AND no more raggedy tangled ends. Thumbs UpThumbs Up

-------------
iRep ♥ Naija
TexLAXED 1.25.13'
SL starting alllll the way over. Watch me work.
APL 2013

<

Date Posted: Nov 26 2012 at 10:56pm
Originally posted by Napp Napp wrote:

~Heat Training/Damage Spectrum~

when wet

No change>>>curl elongation>>>waviness of original texture>>>>>loose waves>>>Straight

the more removed it is from the natural curl pattern the more damaged it is IMO but it doesnt mean that you cannot retain and grow hair once it has happened.

As far as  this spectrum, I am at:

Level 2 while my hair is soaking wet
Level 1 when my hair is damp

-------------
iRep ♥ Naija
TexLAXED 1.25.13'
SL starting alllll the way over. Watch me work.
APL 2013

<

Posted By: BeijaDanni
Date Posted: Dec 09 2012 at 9:04pm
I plan on doing a heat training regimen once my hair grow out a bit more. Ive been natural for what will be 2 years coming up in April 2013. But, I recently big chopped 3 weeks ago due to damage from the removal of baby locs from September but mostly due to the 90% shrinkage factor of my fine 4b hair. After my hair hit about 8 inches, the ssks and tangles reigned due to the extreme shrinkage and the inevitable coils that appeared at the end of my twists and braids which causes a wash n go factor for my texture= no bueno. Because of this I have decided to heat train once I hit shoulder length. I have tried every stretch method to all things natural but still have to chop off progress. This is my last hope and if this doesn't do it, then Ill try to have the healthiest 8 inches that I can.

But I have to say due to my new regimen my natural hair has not been healthier, but it is only 2 1/2 inches so we'll see in time. :)

Question: How will one go by in heat training hair that's my length (2 1/2)? Would you recommend it?

TIA :)

Date Posted: Dec 16 2012 at 12:49am
i have just started...and i think i will be doing this method as i'd like to wear my hair out..
my plan is to get a hard press every 2-3 weeks at the salon.....i dont really care if my hair stays super straight as i do like to workout....but we shall see.
i need to start doing protein treatments by myself before i go to the salon.

-------------
I'm from The Wishanicca Woods boo-Dreamz

If you are or have ever been a member of BHM, you are inherently a hoodrat.B

Print Page | Close Window