Forum Name: Books
Forum Description: Discussions on Books
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=283203
Printed Date: Nov 20 2017 at 9:44pm

Topic: Book Quotes
Posted By: tatee
Subject: Book Quotes
Date Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 11:03am
i love a good quote.  sometimes i think thats my reason for reading, is that moment when you read something that is so profound that you must take a moment to digest it.

list some here:

Replies:
Date Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 11:09am
" There are some women...good women very possibly through no fault of their own impel disaster.  Whatever they touch somehow turns to tragedy"

My Cousin Rachel by Daphne Du Maurier

Date Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 11:11am
" make up your mind that you are a man and behave as if it were absolutely true and all else will fall into place"

Cry To Heaven  Anne Rice

Date Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 11:24am
" I missed the people altogether.  I thought I knew them and wasn't worried that they really didn't know about me.  Now, it's clear why they contradicted me at every turn.  They knew me all along.  Out of the corners of their eyes they watched me.  They knew how little I could be counted on, how poorly, how shabbily my know it all self covered helplessness. 
That when I invented stories about them, then doing it seemed to me so fine.  I was completely in their hands, managed without mercy. 
Busy they were, busy being original, complicated, changeable...while I was the predictable one, confused in my solitude into arrogance.  Thinking my space, my view was the only one that was or that mattered... I over reached and missed the obvious... so glad to be looking out and in on things.  I missed what went on in heart pockets close to me."

Jazz      Toni Morrison

Date Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 11:26am
" it is easy to plan a thing but very often very difficult to see it through"

Don Quixote  Miguel DeCervantes

Date Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 11:46am
"Droll thing life is-that mysterious arrangement of merciless logic for a futile purpose. The most you can hope from it is some knowledge of yourself-that comes too late-a crop of unextinguishable regrets..."

Heart of Darkness  Joseph Conrad

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 2:52am
"the real evils indeed of...(her) situation were the power of having rather too much of her own way"

Emma  Jane Austin

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 2:53am
" women were just like queen bee's, could do everything but fly"

Mama  Terry McMillian

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 2:55am
"she had lost her enthusiasm had lost her idealism and self assurance and now at 30 she had somehow lost her will"

Mama  Terry McMillan

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 2:57am
"There is a luxury in self-reproach.  When we blame ourselves we feel that no one else has the right to blame us.  It is the confession, not the priest that gives us absolution"

The Picture of Dorian Gray  Oscar Wilde

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 2:59am
"There is a fatality about good resolutions.  They are always made too late."

The Picture of Dorian Gray  Oscar Wilde

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 3:01am
"Sin grows with doing good"

Murder in a Cathedral    T.S. Elliot

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 3:02am
" The last temptation is the greatest treason.  To do the right deed for the wrong reason"

Murder in the Cathedral    T.S. Elliot

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 11:04am
"you talk when you cease to be at peace with your thoughts; and when you can no longer dwell in the solitude of your heart.  You live in your lips, and sound is a diversion and a pass time.  And in much of your talking, thinking is half murdered.  For thought is a bird of space that in a cage of words may indeed unfold its wings but can not fly."

The Prophet    Kahlil Gibran

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 11:16am
"...(he) knew it was all because of his attitude.  He felt inferior and sensing this others exploited him.  Having surrounded himself with a low class of people his reward was to be treated like one of them"

The Magician of Lublin     Isaac Bashevis Singer

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 11:19am
"he...had fretted and worried and ignored the very essence of the problem.  He had reduced others to dirt and did not see, pretended not to see, how he himself kept sinking deeper into the mud."

The Magician of Lublin   Isaac Bashevis Singer

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 11:20am
"...he was ashamed...The humiliation of one who realizes that despite all his wisdom and experience he remained a fool"

The Magician of Lublin    Isaac Bashevis Singer

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 11:23am
"He felt sorrow emptiness and a sense of powerlessness.  Twice in one day there had unveiled to him things which are best concealed.  He had looked on the faces of death and lechery and had seen they were the same"

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 11:26am
"Let us say for the sake of argument...that God does not exist, but that the words spoken in his name are never the less correct.  If a man's lot depends on another man's misfortune then there is good fortune for no one.  If there is no God, man must behave like God"

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 11:29am
"never do tomorrow what you can do today.  Procrastination is the thief of time"

David Copperfield  Charles D!ckens

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 11:31am
"We cannot rise above our expectations"

How to Find the Work You Love     Laurence G. Boldt

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 11:34am
"...optimism...it's the mania of maintaining that all is well when we are miserable"

Candide       Voltaire

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 11:46am
"...people rarely fall without becoming degraded.  Besides, there is a point when the unfortunate and the infamous are associated and confused in a word, a mortal word les miserables; whose fault is it?  and then, when the fall is furthest, is that not when charity should be greatest?"

Les Miserables    Victor Hugo

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 11:52am
" I never met a woman that didn't know whether she was good- looking or not without being told and some of them gives themselves credit for more than they got"

A Streetcar Named Desire    Tennessee Williams

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 11:54am
"the best way to control a rebellious ni$%er...is to give him some responsibility"

Middle Passage    Charles Johnson

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 12:08pm
"As long as each sees a situation differently there will be slaughter and slavery and subordination of one to another.  Because two notions of things never exist side by side as equals...if both are true.  The reason, the irrefutable truth is each person in his heart believes his belief is best and the final test of truth is war on foreign soil, war in your front yard, war in your bedroom, war in your own heart if you listen too much to others.  And in each battle it is the winning belief what's true and a conquered whose vision is variable"

Middle Passage    Charles Johnson

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 12:10pm
"Anger... is like the blade of a sword.  very difficult to hold for long without harming oneself"

Middle Passage   Charles Johnson

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 12:16pm
"All authority in heaven and on earth has been given to me.  Therefore, go and make disciples of all nations baptizing them in the name of the father and of the son and of the holy spirit and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you.  And surely I am with you always, even to the end of the age."

The Book of Mathew      The Bible

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 12:18pm
"Look like the innocent flower but be the serpent under it"

Macbeth    Wm Shakespeare

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 12:20pm
"away and mock the time with fairest snow.  False face must hide what false heart doth not know"

Macbeth  Wm Shakespeare

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 12:21pm
" Power wrongly used defeats the oppressor as well as the oppressed"

I Know this Much is True    Wally Lamb

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 12:37pm
"We are only passers by.  And all you can do is love what you have in your life.  A person has to fight the meaness that sometimes comes with you when you're born.  Sometimes grows if you aren't in lucky surroundings.  It's our challenge to fend it off, leave it behind choking and gasping in the mud.  It's our task to seek out something with truth for us.  No matter if there is a hundred mile obstacle course in the way...The Bible is right on one score; it doesn't do one bit of good to render evil for evil"

The Book of Ruth   Jane Hamilton

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 12:56pm
"you can't seek the truth about who you are, why you are here and how you are doing unless you speak only the truth, always."

Message from Forever    Marlo Morgan

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 5:14pm
"Suppose before we are born we choose this life.  Suppose it is a working out of our own acceptance, our understanding that caring and suffering cannot be separated.  All separation is an illusion.  It is connectedness that makes us whole"

Errands    Judith Guest

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 5:19pm
"there it was, the unbearable thing was not the fear that the great spirit had forsaken man.  Nor even in granting awareness of death he had made man's hope ridiculous.  But that from the beginning he had made no real distinction between the mindless animals and mankind."

AT Play in the Fields of the Lord     Peter Mathiessen

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 5:21pm
"...every dumb thing I ever done in my life there was a decision I made before it that got me into it.  It was never the dumb thing,  it was always some choice I made before it..."

All the Pretty Horses         Cormac McCarthy

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 5:22pm
"...like opening my eyes for the first time only to discover that I was in total darkness."

Meeting with an Archangel    Stephen Mitchell

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 5:25pm
"...pain is a given in this life but suffering is extra and unnecessary...suffering is caused by the mind tightening around our experience in fear or craving...The way out of suffering is to let go of all the clutching and sticking and particulars of that way out"

Meeting with an Archangel  Stephen Mitchell

Posted By: tantoine
Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 11:34pm
When I discover who I am, I'll be Free

Invisible Man - Ralph Ellison

I am invisible, understand, simple because people refuse to see me.

I was never more hated than when I tried to be honest.

“To Whom It May Concern . . . Keep This Nigger-Boy Running.”

That book changed my life Embarrassed

Posted By: rowenah14
Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 12:59am
Great threadThumbs Up

Seek to live; remembrance is for the old - By The River Piedra, I lay Down and Wept (Paulo Coelho)

It's only with the heart that you can see; what is essential is invisible to the eye - The Little Prince (Antoine de Saint-Exupery)

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 6:27am
" Does and inability to empathize start with an inhibition or a reluctance to see"

Fires in the Mirrors    Ana Deavere-Smith

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 6:32am
"They say that childhood forms us, that those early influences are the key to everything.  Is the piece of the soul so easily one?   Simply the inevitable result of a happy childhood.  What makes childhood happy?  Parental harmony, good health, security.  Might not a happy childhood be the worst possible preparation for life; like leading a lamb to the slaughter"

Damage     Josephine Hart

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 6:39am
"Our sanity depends essentially on narrowness of vision.  The ability to select the elements vital to survival while ignoring the great truths.  So the individual lives his daily life without due attention to the fact that he has no guarantee of tomorrow.  He hides from himself  the knowledge that his life is a unique experience which will end in the grave, that every second lives as unique as his start and end.  This blindness allows a pattern of living to hand itself on.  And few who challenge this pattern survive with good reasons.  All the laws of life and society would seem irrelevant if each man concentrated daily on the reality of his own death"

Damage     Josephine Hart

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 6:44am
"...to know one must elicit a response, take an action, change course.  One cannot continue life as it was before, before knowing because it is impossible.  It simply cannot be done and that is why one must be so cautious when pursuing truth.  It is not enough to possess it.  One must respond to it."

Now You See Her    Whitney Otto

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 6:51am
"...for a prayer need not to be a rhetorical address, or an itemized petition or lips moved soundlessly inside a cathedral or even words spoken into the air.  A prayer maybe a wordless inner longing, a sudden out pouring of love, a yearning within the soul to be for a moment united with the infinite and the good.  A humbleness that needs no abasement or speech to express a cry into the darkness for help when all seem lost.  A song , a poem..a reaching for beauty or the strong quiet inner reaffirmation of faith.  A prayer in fact can be anything that is created of God that turns to God"

Ludmila       Paul Gallico

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 6:53am
"One need not look for death...he is forever seeking you"

Blue Light      Walter Mosley

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 6:54am
"...pain isn't the truth.  It's what you have to get through in order to find truth"

The Return of Merlin       Deepak Chopra

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 6:58am
"You always know everything, don't you?  Only you won't let yourself know you know.  A lot of times you can't let yourself know it, because you can't stand to know what you know.  You can't stand what that knowing might tell you about yourself"

The Devil's Dream   Lee Smith

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 8:30am
"It's a curse--this not wanting to look on naked realities. Until the war, life was never more real to me than a shadow show on a curtain. And I preferred it so. I do not like the outlines of things to be too sharp. I like them gently blurred, a little hazy...In other words Scarlet.  I'm a coward"

Gone With The Wind    Margaret Mitchell

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 8:45am
" Do you know what's the one mistake we always make?  Believing that life is immutable.  That once you get on a particular track you have to follow it to the end of the line.  But, it appears that fate has more imagination than we do.  Just when you think you're in a situation you can't escape from.  When you've reached the lowest depth of total desperation everything changes as fast as a gust of wind, everythings overturned from one second to the next you find you are living a new life."

Follow Your Heart   Susanna Tamaro

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 8:57am
"...there is no king who hasn't had a slave among his ancestors and no slave who hasn't had a king among his."

The Story of My Life   Helen Keller

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 8:59am
"It had never occurred to her before that what accident meant was unintentional.  It didn't mean blameless.  No matter how hard you tried to pretend it did."

Evening News   Marly Swick

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 9:21am
"For months (she) had found eye contact impossible with her former peers, when she noticed other(s)...downgraded like herself, experiencing similar difficulty.  It was an affliction of the redundant she decided.  Like the bells of lepers, their down cast eyes signal to those who retain their self respect to keep a safe distance."

A Prize for Sister Catherine   Kathleen Rowntree

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 9:24am
"I'm starting to think that sadness is organic.  That sad people are cursed with more insight than others.  While our smiles defy our bitter plight our tears acknowledge it."

Losing Julia    Jonathan Hull

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 9:25am
"people must keep track of what's happening to them or they are doomed to repeat and repeat and repeat."

The Good Husband    Gail Godwin

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 9:30am
"Today I know that everything watches that nothing goes unseen.  And that even wallpaper has a better memory than ours.  It isn't God in his heaven that sees all.  A kitchen chair, a coat hanger, a half filled ashtray or the wood replica of a woman...can perfectly well serve as an unforgetting witness to everyone of our acts."

The Tin Drum   Gunter Grass

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 9:41am
"attendant facts, small details, the state of a man's affairs.  Conclusions that might be inferred from the logical surroundings of a man's actions and character.  These are the things that put a man in the electric chair.  More often than not the D.A. doesn't have a star witness or murder weapon.  If real hard evidence wasn't so difficult to obtain, do you think cops would work so hard to beat confessions out of people?  Circumstantial evidence is the bedrock of our system of justice, without that you'd be throwing people in ponds to see if they sink. or pricking them with needles in search of the devil's mark."

The Shot    Phil Kerr

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 9:57am
"Women find beauty in men only when they find strength.  There's something wrong with a woman...when she falls in love with a fellow because he's pretty."

Fear    L. Ron Hubbard

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 10:24am
"evolution moves forward never backward, butterflies never become caterpillars."

Between Lovers    Eric Jerome D!ckey

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 10:27am
"thinking all over again what I'd always thought about hippie communes, Brook Farms, Kibbutzes, goof-ball Utopian ideals of every stripe; let one real independent emerge and everybody turns into Hitler."

Independence Day   Richard Ford

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 10:33am
"A very few lonely pioneers make their way to high places never before visited.  Others follow these new paths and sometimes the pioneers build roads so wide that the masses may follow.  these pioneers create the living conditions of mankind and the majority are living on their work."

The Northern Lights    Lucy Lago

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 10:40am
"The measure of a man is how well he provides for his children."

The Measure of a Man    Sidney Poitier

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 10:55am
"...life and death is always right there in your line of sight.  Most people lived so far from it they thought you could just choose carnivore or vegetarian without knowing that the chemicals on grain and cotton kill far more butterflies and bees and bluebirds and whippoorwills than the mortal cost of steak or a leather jacket.  Just clearing the land to grow soybeans and corn had killed about everything on half the world.  Every cup of coffee equaled one dead song bird in the jungle somewhere..."

Prodigal Summer   Barbara Kingsolver 

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 10:56am
"they lay on the far side of a great divide in time, as significant as B.C. and A.D."

Atonement    Ian McEwan

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 11:00am
"...the problem is, it's hard to be a liar and a believer in yourself at the same time."

Charming Billy    Alice McDermott

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 11:05am
"if the truth is a loaf of bread and you pick up a crumb. Do you have the truth?  If not the truth than it is is as worthless as a lie."

Smoke Jumper  Nicholas Evans

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 11:39am
"there are only a few universal laws of political life...One (is)...never interfere when your enemies are busily engaged in flagrant acts of self destruction."

Founding Brothers   Joseph J. Ellis

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 12:34pm
"Every blessing ignored becomes a curse."

The Alchemist    Paulo Coelho

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 12:39pm
"There was a logical problem inherent in a law enforcement institution.  For should the police actually succeed in eliminating all crime, they will simultaneously succeed in eliminating themselves as a necessary adjunct to society and no organized force or power will ever eliminate itself willingly."

The Great Train Robbery   Michael Crichton

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 4:18pm
"If God created the heavens and the earth merely by thinking them into existence, then the ultimate power in the universe is will power."

By the Light of the Moon   Dean Koontz

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 4:21pm
"forgiveness... is giving up my right to hurt you because you have hurt me."

A New Son    Jan Karon

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 4:22pm
"it's only possible to betray where loyalty is due."

The Prime of Miss Jean Brodie      Muriel Spark

Date Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 1:38am
"Life was so self-conscious in Jerusalem, so lived at close quarters by competing moralizers, every little blessing demanded immediate record."

Damascus Gate    Robert Stone

Date Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 1:39am
"...he that sows the wind must reap the whirlwind."

The Bondwoman's Narrative    Hannah Craft

Date Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 1:41am
"There are no random acts...We are all connected...you can no more separate one life from another than you can separate a breeze from the wind."

The Five People you Meet in Heaven   Mitch Albom

Date Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 1:47am
"The great secret....(is that) one has not only an ability to perceive the world but an ability to alter his perception of it; or more simply, one can change things by the manner in which one looks at them."

Even Cowgirls Get the Blues   Tom Robbins

Date Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 2:38am
"The compassion in his face...gave him the look of a saint.  and it struck (her) that sainthood was not the absence of sin in a man but rather a profound boundless compassion, a fearlessness of human suffering, a willingness to take it on and make it ones own."

Firebird    Janice Graham

Date Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 2:42am
"...we'd been reminded of something much of the rest of the world had know for centuries.  That you could easily at any moment make your fatal mistake.  That we all humped along unharmed because no one decided to kill us that day.  That we could not know as we hurried about our business whether we were escaping the conflagration or rushing to it."

Specimen Days   Michael Cunningham

Date Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 2:45am
"So now do you see why books are hated and feared?  They show the pores in the face of life.  The comfortable people want only wax moon faces, pore- less, hairless, expressionless."

Fahrenheit 451    Ray Bradbury

Date Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 2:47am
"The question is never who lit the match but how come there was a fuse attached to a powder keg."

A Passion for the Possible   Wm Sloane Coffin

Date Posted: Oct 15 2010 at 2:49am
"...the answer to chaos is repetition."

A Dangerous Friend    Ward Just

Date Posted: Oct 23 2010 at 5:04am
"Contradictions do not exist.  Whenever you think that you are facing a contradiction, check you premises.  You will find that one of them is wrong"

Atlas Shrugged   Ayn Rand

Date Posted: Oct 23 2010 at 5:06am
"any refusal to recognize reality for any reason whatever has disastrous consequences.  There are no evil thoughts except one; the refusal to think.

Atlas Shrugged   Ayn Rand

Date Posted: Oct 23 2010 at 5:32am
"Color hate defined the place of black life as below that of white life.  And the black man responding to the same dreams as the white man strove to bury within his heart his awareness of this difference,  because it made him lonely and afraid.  Hated by whites and being an organic part of the culture that hated him, the black man grew in turn to hate in himself that which others hated in him. 
But pride would make him hide his self hate for he wouldn't want whites to know that he was so thoroughly conquered by them.  That his total life was conditioned by his attitude.  But in the act of hiding his self hate he couldn't help but hate those who evoked his self hate in him.  So each part of his day would be consumed in a war with himself, a good part of his energy would be spent in keeping control of his unruly emotions.  Emotions which he hadn't wished to have, but couldn't help having.  Held  at bay by the hate of others preoccupied with his own feelings he was continuously at war with reality.  He became inefficient, less able to see and judge the objective world.  And when he reached that state, the white people looked at him and laughed and said 'look didn't I tell you ni%&ers were that way'."

Black Boy (American Hunger)   Richard Wright

Date Posted: Nov 27 2010 at 4:36pm
"...don't ever underestimate people.  don't ever underestimate the pleasure they receive from viewing pain that is not their own, from delivering bad news, watching bombs fall on television, from listening to stifle sobs from the other end of the telephone line.  Pain by itself is just pain but pain plus distance can equal entertainment, voyerism, human interest, cinema verite, a good belly chuckle, a sympathetic smile, a raised eyebrow, disguised contempt..."

White Teeth   Zadie Smith

Date Posted: Dec 12 2010 at 10:40am
 "It is worth repeating at this point the theories that (he) had come  up with...to account for their peculiar habit of continually stating and restating the very very obvious...
   His first theory was that if human beings didn't keep exercising their lips, their mouths probably shriveled up.
  After a few months of observation he had come up with a second theory...
  If human beings don't keep exercising their lips, their brains start working"

The Restaurant at the End of the Universe    Douglas Adams

Posted By: Goodyearwriter
Date Posted: Dec 12 2010 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

" I never met a woman that didn't know whether she was good- looking or not without being told and some of them gives themselves credit for more than they got"

A Streetcar Named Desire    Tennessee Williams
One of my favoritesClapClapClapClapClap
Great Quotes, TateeThumbs Up

Date Posted: Dec 12 2010 at 1:23pm
thanx.  please add some, it gets lonely down hereLOL

Posted By: TamaraA
Date Posted: Dec 12 2010 at 1:32pm
''I think there's just one kind of folks.  Folks.'' - To Kill A Mockingbird

Posted By: GoodGirlGoneGr8
Date Posted: Dec 12 2010 at 1:41pm

"When we have hidden agendas, unclear motives, unachievable fantasies, dishonesty, and false responsibilities as the basis of a relationship, it is a safe bet that there is no love present. What is present may look like love, it may feel like love, but it is not, in any way, shape, form, or fashion, even closely related to the essence of love. You cannot do what makes absolutely no sense and call it love! When love is present, everyone wins."

-Iyanla Vanzant (In the Meantime)

Date Posted: Dec 13 2010 at 5:44pm
Hi Tatee
I'm reading Gone with the Wind right now. It's a tradition with me to read this book during the Holiday season.
I'll follow with a quote Scarlett O'hara had concerning Rhett Butler. It's old fashioned but timeless...
"Of course he wasn't a gentleman and there was no telling what men would do when they weren't gentlemen. There was no standard to judge them by." --Margaret Mitchell

Date Posted: Dec 13 2010 at 5:53pm
"The only time crying ever did any good was when there was a man around from whom you wished favors." -- Gone With the Wind.

Date Posted: Dec 13 2010 at 6:04pm

"Child, it's a very bad thing for a woman to face the worst that can happen to her, because after she's faced the worst she can't ever really fear anything again. I've never been afraid of anything or anybody because I'd known the worst that could happen to me. And that lack of fear has gotten me into a lot of trouble and cost me a lot of happiness. God intended women to be timid frightened creatures and there's something unnatural about a woman who isn't afraid."

Gone With the wind  Chapter 26

Date Posted: Dec 17 2010 at 11:36am
" To be a millionaire...is like being eternally young.  The audacity of youth reckons upon what is fancies an unlimited time at it's disposal;  but a millionaire has unlimited means in his hand--- which is better.  One's time on earth is an uncertain quantity, but about the long reach of millions is no doubt."

Nostromo    Joseph Comrad

Date Posted: Dec 17 2010 at 1:27pm
"The mockery made him feel an outsider; and feeling an outsider he behaved like one, which increased the prejudice against him and intensified the contempt and hostility aroused by his physical defects. Which in turn increased his sense of being alien and alone. A chronic fear of being slighted made him avoid his equals, made him stand, where his inferiors were concerned, self-consciously on his dignity."

Aldous Huxley     Brave New World

Date Posted: Dec 17 2010 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by tatee tatee wrote:

i love a good quote.  sometimes i think thats my reason for reading, is that moment when you read something that is so profound that you must take a moment to digest it.

So, true. So, true.

Date Posted: Dec 17 2010 at 10:22pm

Scarlett and Mammy conversing just before the Wilkes's Barbeque.

"Why is it a girl has to be so silly to catch a husband?"

"Ah specs it's kase gempmums doan know whut de wants. De jes' knows whut de thinks dey wants. an' givin' dem whut dey thinks dey wants saves a pile of mizry an' bein' a ole maid. An' dey thinks dey wants mousy lil gals wid bird's tastes an' no sense at all.  It doan make a gempmum feel lak mahyin' a lady ef he suspicions she got mo' sense dan he has."

"Don't you suppose men get surprised after they're married to find that their wives do have sense?"

"Well, it's too late den. Dey's already mahied. 'Sides, gempmums specs dey wives ter have sense."

"Some day I'm going to do and say everything I want to do and say, and if people don't like it I don't care."

"No, you ain',

--Gone with the Wind. by Margarett Mitchell, Chapter 5

Date Posted: Dec 17 2010 at 10:24pm

Goodnight Bookworms, and Blue Stockings Sleepy

Date Posted: Dec 20 2010 at 10:38am
"She'll be dipping snuff soon, if she isn't already," though Scarlett in horror. "Good Lord! What a comedown!"
--Gone With the Wind.

Date Posted: Dec 20 2010 at 10:43am
"In the end what will happen will be what has happened whenever a civilization breaks up. The people who have brains and courage come through and the ones who haven't are winnowed out. At least, it has been interesting, if not comfortable, to witness a Götterdämmerung."
"A what?"
"A dusk of the gods."Geek

Print Page | Close Window