Forum Name: Curls
Forum Description: Discussions on Curls
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=275585
Printed Date: Feb 25 2020 at 9:28am

Topic: **New Curly Perms Thread** After 2 Years
Posted By: stephshe
Subject: **New Curly Perms Thread** After 2 Years
Date Posted: Aug 15 2010 at 4:48pm
Hi ladiesSmile. I started this new curly perm thread since this is officially my 2nd year anniversary of having the curly perm and the other thread is over 90 pages I think. So please lets post all the new stuff in this one so that newbies won't have sooo much to read.

The first post is still great to read though but lets keep the newer stuff here

Ok well I got my retouch on Friday and boy my hair has really grown in this 2 years. I think I am back to the length I was before I ever cut my hair. I think I can say that I now and at bra strap length while straight(at least in the back). Here is a pic, it's wet in this pic. I can't wait until my hair is this long when curlySmile

Replies:
Date Posted: Aug 15 2010 at 4:50pm
This time I stuck with the orange and peach rods but my stylist added a few purple rods in the front. I took these pics today

Date Posted: Aug 15 2010 at 4:52pm
one more

Date Posted: Aug 15 2010 at 5:03pm
I bought some v-violet products while I was at the salon too. I've been using the oil moist which is a light hair dress lotion that lets your hair keep that dry look and feel while keeping it hydrated because it had glycol in it too. I also got more of the body wave gel which is a light activator gel and doesnt leave your hair greasy. I got some conditioners too. If anyone is interested in purchasing any of the v-violet products my stylist said that he can ship them to you even internationally. I asked him if a professional stylist from another city could buy the v-violet body wave system from him and he said yes. So ladies if you have a stylist that is willing to use v-violet then they can get them from him and he said he will even tell them how to use it or give them tipsSmile. Pm me if anyone wants his number to buy productsWink.

I have really been loving this v-violet although I loved carefree curl too but I got more shedding from carefree curl. This product barely sheds at ally for me which helps me to retain more length. I'm excited about this next year with the curly perm.

Here's the link to my fotki with all my progress from beginning to now. Copy and paste unless you can make it clickable because I don't know how Embarrassed

http://public.fotki.com/stephshe/curly-perm/

Talk to ya later ladies and thanks to everyone that continues to update their progress and advice because I remember when I couldn't find any info on curly perms other than searching old old posts.

Posted By: Akpknuako
Date Posted: Aug 16 2010 at 2:26am
absolutely gorgeous. you are my hair inspiration.
I am also interested in the products!, please pm me the info,
Thanks so much!

Date Posted: Aug 16 2010 at 9:22am
Thanks AkpknuakoSmile, pm sent!

Posted By: MathJunkie
Date Posted: Aug 16 2010 at 8:11pm
Absolutely beautiful Stephshe! Is the v-violet site the only source of info on their products? 

Date Posted: Aug 16 2010 at 8:55pm
Thanks MathJunkieSmile!

I had never even heard of v-violet products until he told me that he was now using these products so I guess it's pretty new. They actually had a booth at the Bonner Brothers Hair show in Atlanta. I don't really know much about them but he did tell me that it's a black owned company and from my personal experience the products I have used have been great especially with the shedding I sometimes experienced with the carefree curl. I'll definetly post honest reviews when I actually use some of the other products I bought.

Posted By: MathJunkie
Date Posted: Aug 16 2010 at 9:39pm
Thanks. I went back to Ferm Perm but am having problems with shedding. I don't recall such shedding with Wave by Design and my stylist agreed to use Wave by Design. This weekend, I bought some really awesome products. I am trying the Shea Moisture products and Curls by Target. So far I am impressed. I am mixing and matching, so I don't know what products are working the best. None of the products contain sulfate, petroleum, etc. They are much better than the typical curl activators/moisturizers. 

Posted By: Sheryse
Date Posted: Aug 19 2010 at 9:09am
beautiful!

Date Posted: Aug 19 2010 at 3:43pm
Hey mathjunkie which ones have you tried already? Not that I need another product but just in caseEmbarrassedLOL.

Thanks Sheryse!

Posted By: ms.hollywood
Date Posted: Aug 20 2010 at 8:22pm
Hello everyone!! I am new to this fourm. I haven't had a perm since this march. I have had very short hair cuts for the past 3 years. I want to start going it out. I have been reading the first fourm and definately convienced that I am getting curl free tomorrow. I am nervous but after seeing stephshe's progress I am so excited. Stephshe your hair is beautiful and an inspiration. Hopefully I will be able to post pictures.

Date Posted: Aug 21 2010 at 2:00pm
Welcome ms.hollywood, congrats on getting your curlSmile and yes please post pics, we'd love to see!

Posted By: ScorpioLuv
Date Posted: Aug 21 2010 at 4:03pm
I remember b4 you said you were using clip ins for length in ur avi. Who made them and what texture is it?

Posted By: Lady_Q_Tee
Date Posted: Aug 22 2010 at 3:31pm
Beautifull, just beautiful!

Date Posted: Aug 23 2010 at 2:55pm
Thanks ladies Smile

scorpioluv- I make my own clips-in using virgin indian curly hair. I have made some using wagmans, rho, and b-dogg indian hair.  I just purchased some Arjuni 2c and I'm waiting to get it so I can make some new clip-ins now.

Posted By: Teeder
Date Posted: Aug 24 2010 at 7:15am

stephshe,

your hair looks great. I can't wait to get my long hair back.Smile

I'm so excited in 2 wks I get my first retouch & I can't wait to see how it looks. I decided to retouch every 10 wks.Big%20smile

Date Posted: Aug 25 2010 at 8:48am
Hi Teeder , your hair will be long before you know it Smile! Every 10 week for a retouch sounds good. When I first started I tried stretching for like 4-5 months but I don't think that is a good thing, now I try to go at about 10-12 weeks.

My routine has been super simple lately, I just put in the vviolet body wave gel at night then wear my plastic cap for about 15 minutes then i just sleep with my satin bonnet.  In the morning I use a little of the oil moist and go, I'm lovin' itSmile

Posted By: glamrock
Date Posted: Aug 25 2010 at 9:39pm
ShockedI havent been to this section for a long time and I am in love with your hair and all of the growth progress!!!Clap

Posted By: stilettovixen27
Date Posted: Aug 26 2010 at 11:04am
Stephshe you have some beautiful hair...i wore a curl as a kid and of course it was more of a curl than a body wave lol...i remember they keep your hair really soft.  i am wondering how you got your hair to grow.  any tips?  products? reggies?

Posted By: MrsLisa12
Date Posted: Aug 27 2010 at 3:01pm
I just got my touch up after 11 wks, I couldn't take it any longer. My first application was a mild and my hair wouldn't straighten so my curls were a little frizzy and i had to use more product because my hair wasn't responding. I tried to stretch it out.

Now it is better. I am using a little of the care free curl products but I want to use something else, especially when my hair gets longer. Any suggestion beside the v-violet product that I will check out. I bag in the morning while dressing.

I love this time around, I had a curl when I was 12. No drips and it feels natural. NO pillow stains, YEA

Posted By: ringwoz
Date Posted: Aug 28 2010 at 6:37pm
I am thinking of getting a curly perm for the first time, and I have no idea where to start. My hair is about 8-10 inches long and is super kinky, like motherland kinky - and I need some help and a bit of guidance as to what I should start off with..

Date Posted: Aug 28 2010 at 10:11pm
Hi ringwozSmile, I started out with carefree curl but you probably need to search to find a stylist that is really good with curly perms because that can make a world of difference in your results. Many of the ladies use Ferm, Wave nouveau, wave by design and right now I'm using v-violet body wave.

MsLisa- before I used v-violet I was using s-curl lite activator gel and occasionally hawaiian silky dry hair spray. MathJunkie said she's been using some or the curl product like from target(she posted on page 1). I also used Curl Keeper from Organics I believe, it's more of a lotion and I got it from walgreens. ( I seriously need to get rid of all the products I have right now Embarrassed)

Posted By: OoOBeautyMelOoO
Date Posted: Aug 29 2010 at 4:11pm
OMG.....your hair progress is phenomenal!!Clap Such an inspirtation! I got a carefree curl put on my head about 4 months ago and I absolutely love it. Its the best thing I have ever done to my head!! Retaining my hair had never been so easy, and Im lucky to find a stylist who knows what they are doing!! I hope my hair is that length in 2 years!Clap

Posted By: ajsolutions2010
Date Posted: Aug 31 2010 at 11:18am
Do you live in GA? I am trying to find a stylist to this process on my hair...also do you do usually do a protien treatment or any treatments before you get your curly perm?

Date Posted: Aug 31 2010 at 1:55pm
Hi AJ, no I'm in Texas but if you have a good stylist that you want to use my stylist can sell them the system and tell them any advice they might need.

I don't do any treatments before my retouch at all.

Posted By: Choongy
Date Posted: Sep 01 2010 at 11:02am
wow so beautiful i have been tranistioning/stretching for 5months now im going to decide in december if i will continue to relax or get a perm stepshe your hair keeps swaying me to the perm side its so beautiful 

Posted By: Ritle
Date Posted: Sep 02 2010 at 7:41pm
Your hair has grown indeed@Stephshe

Originally posted by Choongy Choongy wrote:

wow so beautiful i have been tranistioning/stretching for 5months now im going to decide in december if i will continue to relax or get a perm stepshe your hair keeps swaying me to the perm side its so beautiful 

I think that if you're choosing between relaxing and perming, the options are more versatile with perming i.m.o., because once you set it with rods you won't have to set it again after wearing your hair straight and washing it will come back to the curls or waves(depends on the rodsize)that you had before heatstyling.Only time the rods are set again are with the touch ups.
Also, stretching/transitioning from a curlperm is easier as it takes longer for the difference to become obvious than if you stretch/transition from relaxing for if you ever decide on something different.

Posted By: JayySlay
Date Posted: Sep 03 2010 at 10:05pm
hi ladies once again ! Im Jelecia / JaySlay from the other curly perm thread.
but I have a question for all of you.
Right now I am in Taipei, Taiwan studying abroad for a year and I dont think that they will have carefree curl or any type of curly perm that I am used to. Do any of you have any advice about how I could take care of my hair?

Right now I have micros and my hair is already growing fast after about 4 weeks.

Date Posted: Sep 04 2010 at 1:50am
Originally posted by JayySlay JayySlay wrote:

hi ladies once again ! Im Jelecia / JaySlay from the other curly perm thread.
but I have a question for all of you. Right now I am in Taipei, Taiwan studying abroad for a year and I dont think that they will have carefree curl or any type of curly perm that I am used to. Do any of you have any advice about how I could take care of my hair? Right now I have micros and my hair is already growing fast after about 4 weeks.

You can maintain your hair by moisturising and sealing, this can be done by leaving conditioner in instead of washing it out and sealing with an oil/sealant and then maintaining it throughout the week with a spritz of diluted conditioner (conditioner mixed with water and the oil to seal the moisture). Or you can use any other moisturiser of your choice.
I don't know what your natural texture is, but if your new growth doesn't curl, then the best way to blend the looks together is with a twist out or braidout(this can be achieved with as little as 8 sections or less even), perhaps a (flexi)rodset or curlformers.
Usually the maintenance products for curlperm are suitable for natural hair, therefore you can actually continue using them on your hair.
In the natural section there are tips for transitioners, though your intention might not be to transition, the way you treat your hair right now does apply to such regarding the demarcation line and all.
Heatstyling can be done, but is not advised when there's allot of newgrowth(later down the line) due to the fragility of the demarcation line, however if you must, make sure to use a heatprotectant (with sillicone, do not use any oils as heatprotectant) and make sure to not go any higher than 200 degrees celsius/400 degrees farenheit with the temperature.A style created with heat can last as long as two weeks without applying any more heat if you wrap it in/under a silk/satin scraf or something close to it at night. When you shower cover it with a plastic showercap, I'd even wait with unwrapping and just put the showercap over the wrapped hair.
In any other cases a satin pillowcase should do the trick as well, but
with heatstyling I'd advise extra care to limit the amount of heat(the longer your style remains, the less times you'll need to retouch it).

Posted By: kristenshair
Date Posted: Sep 04 2010 at 3:17pm
sorry for the double post, but i realised a new thread was made .. better to keepe verything together , right ? LOL

Stephshe your curls are GORGEOUS ! im getting tireed of having bone-straight relaxed hair, and this could be an option , i just have a few questions :)
1. can i transition to curly perm, or do i HAVE to bc ?
2. do curly perms need more care and attention than regular relaxed heads ?
3. is there anyway i could learn to do this on my own, at home ?

and just one last thing ... if i left just the first step to a curly perm (the straightening) in my hair for a while, could i go back and curl it, and would the curls stay ? or is there a certain time limit that the rods have to be put in to achieve a curly look ? TIA :)
- kristen.

Posted By: Missvw
Date Posted: Sep 05 2010 at 6:18am
Beautiful hair OP

Posted By: ajsolutions2010
Date Posted: Sep 06 2010 at 1:25pm
I just got my curly perm and I LOVE IT!!! I want to know how long I should wait before washing my hair? And also what is the best way to maintain my curls?

Date Posted: Sep 11 2010 at 7:29am
thanks @ritle im defo gettin a curl do you think after 9months i can cut my relaxed ends and get the perm or to wait a whole year i already have alot of new growth from the last 5months 

Date Posted: Sep 13 2010 at 5:13am
@Choongy

If your hair is long enough to roll the permrods in, (which vary between average finger thick and smaller(for reference))then you can curlperm it.
I do remember years ago when I had a brief period of relaxer and the second touch-up went all kinds of wrong, eventually once newgrowth was coming in and my ponytails were starting to look pathetic with the remaining processed strands,lol, I ended up cutting off the relaxed ends and my new growth was about 3 inches(unstretched) when my mom curlpermed it for me again, I can't remember how many months had past though and one person's growth rate doesn't have to be the other's.

Date Posted: Sep 13 2010 at 1:06pm
@Ritle my hair grows pretty quickly ive got enough new growth to roll around my finger but i dont want to lose the length i have now, i jus took my weave out and am very fond of my relaxed hair but i think curly perm is just gorgeous

Date Posted: Sep 13 2010 at 9:42pm

@Ritle my hair grows pretty quickly ive got enough new growth to roll around my finger but i dont want to lose the length i have now, i jus took my weave out and am very fond of my relaxed hair but i think curly perm is just gorgeous

In that case, you're probably better off transitioning for a while longer since you don't want to let go of the length yet.
You could gradually cut away the relaxed ends perhaps, like a mini trim whenever you please.

Date Posted: Sep 14 2010 at 8:59am
@ritle 
thanks i headed down to the hair dressers today and asked if i had enough hair to do the process she said i do but asked many times if i wanted to cut all my hair off she made me an app for 2mrw afternoon after i said yes a thousand times so see you guys on the other side i guess wish me luck 

Date Posted: Sep 15 2010 at 3:36am

<div style=": rgb255, 255, 255; margin-left: 1px; margin-top: 1px; margin-right: 1px; margin-bottom: 1px; font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif; color: rgb0, 0, 0; font-weight: normal; font-size: 12px; line-height: 1.4; border-top-width: 0px; border-right-width: 0px; border-bottom-width: 0px; border-left-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; -: none; ">@ritle
thanks i headed down to the hair dressers today and asked if i had enough hair to do the process she said i do but asked many times if i wanted to cut all my hair off she made me an app for 2mrw afternoon after i said yes a thousand times so see you guys on the other side i guess wish me luck

You're welcome, when you are going for what you really want you'll be happy with your decision to cut!
I was, in 2002 when I went back to curlperm and 2009 when I decided to go natural.No regrets! And whenever I felt down about the length being gone, I just kept in mind why I did it and smiled.
But with the enthusiasm you've displayed in your post I think you'll be just fine.

Feel free to ask any questions, I was curlpermed for atleast 50 percent of my life, with different rodsizes.

Btw, I don't know how long your hair is with the curlperm as yet(don't know which rodsize(s) you've used), but if you are less fond of the tight (WET!)spiral look and want a fuller look all together,just pick it out with an afro pick.

Date Posted: Sep 15 2010 at 12:05pm
thanks ive just come bk from getting my perm she used ferm which i didnt kno you could get in the uk the process took around 3hrs but i knew all this already she used green rods in the front and white ones in the back its very very short but i love it it looks natural and cute and i know hair grows back so it wont be short for long im just afraid of seeing my S.O as he was begging my not to cut my hair off it was alot of hair Cry

however im very very happy with it and hope this is the start of a great hair journey my hair looks so much healthier 

Date Posted: Sep 16 2010 at 12:27am

thanks ive just come bk from getting my perm she used ferm which i didnt kno you could get in the uk the process took around 3hrs but i knew all this already she used green rods in the front and white ones in the back its very very short but i love it it looks natural and cute and i know hair grows back so it wont be short for long im just afraid of seeing my S.O as he was begging my not to cut my hair off it was alot of hair Cry
however im very very happy with it and hope this is the start of a great hair journey my hair looks so much healthier 

Well as long as it makes YOU happy, your S.O. will get used to it, might take some time, but genuine men don't leave a woman over hair. , but I can understand that it could make you nervous, like any change would.

Date Posted: Sep 16 2010 at 7:11am
hey,
 yeah i am very happy i went into work everyone was shocked but they thought it was nice one person said that didnt like it much but im glad they was honest about it, my S.O saw a pic but he wants to see it face to face he wont leave me but he will buy me weave if he doesnt like it clown LOL i know he wont like it but hair grows at the end of the day and mine will....but this short style is so easy i dont do anything jus put in some curl activator some sheen and go it took me about 30secs to do vs the relaxer when i had to get all the hair cremes oil brush think of a style get a comb this is more suited to my life style

Posted By: kylaj
Date Posted: Sep 18 2010 at 2:04pm
Wow your hair is gorgeous. now I want to perm my hair, but I just got it texlaxed 2 weeks ago. Whyyyyyyyyyyy! lol

Posted By: ms.newgrowth
Date Posted: Sep 20 2010 at 6:10pm
Choongy,

I too have been transitioning for about 6 months and am thinking about a curly perm. I will have to cut off the still permed ends of my hair which will shorten my length significantly but I am willing to make that sacrifice. I was wondering if you have any pictures of your new hair style. I would love to see how it turned out for you.

Date Posted: Sep 22 2010 at 10:51am
Originally posted by ms.newgrowth ms.newgrowth wrote:

Choongy,

I too have been transitioning for about 6 months and am thinking about a curly perm. I will have to cut off the still permed ends of my hair which will shorten my length significantly but I am willing to make that sacrifice. I was wondering if you have any pictures of your new hair style. I would love to see how it turned out for you.

i have pics i will see if i can post them for you my hair looks alright i like it alot and my bf likes it too it was a drastic change but its so easy compared to what i went through before with relaxed hair, my hairdresser cut off alot of my hair coz she wanted it to grow out nicely as i told her i wanted to grow my hair with the perm.

have a talk with your hairdresser i was more determind to have a perm than hair length as i know hair grows back so i didnt mind the cut after a while at the end of the day you got to make sure you will be happy with it as its growing back (ive already thought of hairstyles Embarrassed) i hope thats helped and i will try and get some photos up you x

Date Posted: Sep 22 2010 at 12:18pm
I got my first retouch 2 weeks ago and i just now had time to download pic's. I tried to post them , but this site won't let me, so if anybody wants to see -click- http://public.fotki.com/njdx1205/" rel="nofollow - http://public.fotki.com/njdx1205/   I had so much growth.Big smile

Date Posted: Sep 23 2010 at 1:00am
@teeder my hair is that length now how long did you wait until your touch up

looks lovely btw

Date Posted: Sep 23 2010 at 5:18am
@Choongy Glad your boyfriend loves it.You can never get enough compliments.

Date Posted: Sep 23 2010 at 8:50am
choongy,

I waited 10 wks, I wanted to wait 12 wks. but i started to get shedding, and as soon as i got in done it stopped.

Posted By: shar88
Date Posted: Sep 23 2010 at 9:03am
i am fully natural i wanted someone w/ pics and products that i should use the whole run down because now of days its really hard to find info on this stuff. I had one when i was 8 and then a relaxer then i went back but i colored which was a no no and going to different stylist which is always a no no because people don't always no what their doing or bad customer service. I was looking into some to tell me how I can do  it myself.

Thanks peace and luv :-)

Date Posted: Sep 23 2010 at 10:29am
i don't think anyone does there own perm, but u can get lot of info on products and pic's on the old thread, it's like 93 pages , that is were i got all my info from

Date Posted: Sep 23 2010 at 12:11pm
@teeder thanks ive only had mine 8days so far so good i dont think i shall be returning to relaxer i washed it today also with some handmade shampoo i got from a store im a little scared as im going on holiday on monday for a week and going in the sea and the pool

@shar no one i know of does their own perm, personally i wouldnt recommend it i was going to do it myself but id rather not be bald there are so many steps that need to be taken you need to find a good stylist and go and have a chat with them to answer your questions and find one you feel that you can trust 

Date Posted: Sep 23 2010 at 1:51pm
hi thanks for your response

where is that I am new to the fourm  and do you have any tips that you can offer?

Date Posted: Sep 23 2010 at 2:37pm
what kind of tips are you looking for hun?

Date Posted: Sep 23 2010 at 2:57pm
some that involve the best one for 4 type natural hair?
as far as brand?
I know they said dont do it but its a trust issue im still research either way it goes but im kinda of convinced i want something more looser than tighter kink... it will be 2 yrs in dec. and i want to make sure that i am making the right decision. .... i have had breakage before but that was due to the coloring i was doing my hair is healthy now natural just not feeling the texture ..... i am also tying to b patcient but that's hard also im like 8-9 inch and plan on being 10-11 1/5 in by end of dec ...  but any info that you can give would be helpful

thanks!

Date Posted: Sep 23 2010 at 4:42pm
well any thing you decide to do should be from your own thoughts and lifestyle,
have you tried the natural section?? i will see what i can find for you im in the uk and its late now almost 11pm but i will try to check back 2mrw if i find anything 

Date Posted: Sep 23 2010 at 5:21pm
I stopped using shampoo & co-wash and my curls look great after I wash my hair. It was taking me 3 days after a wash to get my Tonguehair back to normal, I don't think i'll go back to shampoo unless I go swimming, then I'll have to use it.

Posted By: MrsLisa12
Date Posted: Sep 26 2010 at 5:07pm
okay, I finally upload my pics

http://mrslisa12.shutterfly.com" rel="nofollow - http://mrslisa12.shutterfly.com

Posted By: seventies_baby
Date Posted: Sep 26 2010 at 9:11pm
Hello Ladies..
Im so happy to find this forum and thread for curly perms. I just got my WN on 8-13-10, and my hair is sheading something bad. Its to the point I hate to put my hands in it,cause soo much hair comes out.

When I got the service, my hair was about 8 inches of virgin hair. I had grown and cut my perm out over the course of 2 years. I still had color on the tips. My tips did not take in the process and were very stringy. It really did not look good at all. So I had the color cut out and still had a nice curly full "fro". I like it, and prayed the sheading would stop. It didnt. I dont know what to do. Im scared im going to be bald one day after a wash.

-I wash with Wen cleansing cream,I used to use Hair One from Sallys,but I like Wen better. I have the Almond mint.
-I condition with Aubrey Organics GPB (glycogen protein balancing condish) or what I have in my bottom less product bin.
-I tried the Aphogee 2 step protein to stop the breakage.
-I tried the alter ego drops
-Im currently still trying the wild growth oil. It grew my edges back after my braid phase.
-when I condition I use that aluminum lookin self heating cap,or I will sit under my dryer for 15.
- I really tried sleeping with a plastic cap, but it was just too messy, even under a scarf. so now I do a satin cap at night.
-Im currebtly using WN humectant and daily moisture,or the WN mouse.

Ladies,Im really scared im going to loose all my hair down the drain. Cry 
Im not ready to give up.
Any help is greatly appreciated.
Also if anyone has a good technician in the NJ/NYC area, I would like to try someone new.
Thanks. Smile

Date Posted: Sep 26 2010 at 10:00pm
http://public.fotki.com/seventies-baby/" rel="nofollow - http://public.fotki.com/seventies-baby/
some pics..im not sure why they uploaded sideways..but you get the jest of it...LOL

Date Posted: Sep 26 2010 at 10:01pm
http://public.fotki.com/seventies-baby/" rel="nofollow - http://public.fotki.com/seventies-baby/
sorry password is- wnjourney

Date Posted: Sep 27 2010 at 10:27am
Hi have you tried garlic and olive oil?? I don't know what the ego drops consist of but I would try it its a oldie but goodie and it usually help some.

hope that helps !

Date Posted: Sep 27 2010 at 2:34pm
sevebaby

I started having alot shedding at 8 wks. after my curl and then i got a retouch and it stopped instantly. Do u have a lot of newgrowth? are u moist. the your roots

Date Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 8:32am
okay Ladies, I'm thinking about a color rinse, but scared it will dry my hair to much  and cause shedding, please let me know if anybody has a rinse or had one and how it worked for u.ConfusedLOL

Date Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 10:45am

thanks Teeda and Shar...

I have some new growth,my WN is just about 5 weeks old now. the shedding is alot, and I just immediatly thought something had to be wrong for this much hair to be coming out when ever I touched my hair.

I did just invest in some alter ego garlic condish..im not brave enough to make my own yet.

thanks again.

oh if anyone has the hook up on salon in the nyc/nj area please hook a sista up!Smile

Posted By: stacyppl
Date Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 10:52pm
stephshe,
    I asked my stylist about using the flexirods since I loved your hair after you used the flexirods. I want a more natural looking curl. She felt that the flexirods were not tight enough for the curl process (I got the feeling that she had never used them before for a curl). She suggested just using a bigger rod. I don't want to push my stylist to use something she is not familiar with, but I really wanted to try the flexirods. What size rods would get the same kind of curls as in your flexirod pics? Thanks!

Posted By: ringwoz
Date Posted: Oct 01 2010 at 3:18am
Hi< 
I just wanted to find out what a good hair routine is after going curly. In terms of hair health and growth. I live in Australia so I want to buy all the products before crossing over. Any suggestions

Posted By: sunshine1
Date Posted: Oct 01 2010 at 11:04pm
Mathjunkie
I'm thinking about trying shea moisture products. which ones are you using?

Date Posted: Oct 03 2010 at 1:02am
Originally posted by shar88 shar88 wrote:

some that involve the best one for 4 type natural hair?as far as brand?I know they said dont do it but its a trust issue im still research either way it goes but im kinda of convinced i want something more looser than tighter kink... it will be 2 yrs in dec. and i want to make sure that i am making the right decision. .... i have had breakage before but that was due to the coloring i was doing my hair is healthy now natural just not feeling the texture ..... i am also tying to b patcient but that's hard also im like 8-9 inch and plan on being 10-11 1/5 in by end of dec ... but any info that you can give would be helpful thanks!

Hi there,

Because you aren't sure as to what you really want to do, if I were you, I agree, I'd check the natural section as well, as someone suggested to you, you will find different styling options there.

I cannot advise you on any curlperm that I haven't used, so for that you will have to check with others, but before I went back to natural last year I was using Wave Nouveau for the curlperm and Wave Nouveau finishing lotion and mist and/or Scurl Lite wave jel activator gel for the maintenance of the curlperm, I've used it for years without any problems, except for the last time, but that is because my aunt put the straightening cream(phase1) over my entire hair instead of the new growth, so where overprocessing is concerned, if you decide to curlperm, just like with any other perm or haircoloring, first application is a full application, but after a few months with the touch up, new growth only.

I googled quickly because I remember there were atleast two different types of Wave Nouveau sets(only sold two sets overhere), turns out there are three, my mom and I always used the jar for "Normal/Medium hair", but the other ones available are for "Fine/Color treated hair" and "Coarse/Resistant hair".

If you are having it done at a salon then have them do a strand test with the "fine/color treated" jar first, if your hair straightens with that, there is no need to expose it to anything stronger.

You can do it yourself, but the cream(phase1) application and rod application can be a pain in the butt, however , flexirods are also an option, just make sure to follow the directions on the jar and bottles.There's phase1(jar),phase2(bottle), phase 3, the moisture sealer,the finishing and the finishing mist.

As an application tip I can offer, instead of dripping the phase3(which basically locks the curl(phasae 2 helps the curl to set)) in between the rods, to transfer it into a spraybottle and spray it on, this saves time, just make sure to protect your eyes at all times... something just hit me... protection goggles to protect your eyes when doing it yourself, since holding a towel against your forehead to protect your eyes and spraying properly might be quite a task.

If you can get anyone to assist you, that's ideal and if you can afford to go to a stylist (In Holland curlperms cost an arm and a leg to get it done at a hairsalon, with an exception of do-at-home-stylists/hairdressers and don't know how that is with other countries, guess supply and demand ratio might make it cheaper to get done in salons in let's say the U.S.A.) that's an even better option.

Pro's:The curl used on the day of application will last for months (which is a major plusside if you want to wear a certain curlsize for a certain amount of time), it's basically an extended rodset.
Pro's(I know this from experience with Wave Nouveau, I've read somewhere that heatstyling is not an option with certain curlperms, so you'd have to ask some others about that, I think Stephshe has used different curlperms throughout the years if I am not mistaken): You can switch between curly and straight at any time(I'd wait atleast two weeks before heatstyling with a curlperm though).

Downside(if you are into thickness)/ Plusside(If you can't stand thickness):Not as thick as your natural texture

Basically it all comes down to preference, if you want to control the way your hair curls and keep it in that state for a longer period without having to do another rod set and you don't mind that it won't be as thick since you have a certain style preference anyway and if you can't be bothered having to deal with much shrinkage(since the rods you use will be of a looser curlsize than your own), then curlperming is for you.

Just be sure you are a 100 percent behind your decision.
Sorry to hear that you don't love your natural texture though, hopefully one day that thought will change (regardless of what you choose to do with it) someday.

Goodluck with your decision!

And remember, no matter what you do...

ALWAYS SHARE THE HAIRPORN.

Owh yea, pics or it didn't happen right?
Since it might be quite a task to find some of my pics in the older thread, this is the way my hair looked while it was curlpermed:

About an inch thick sized permrods(black):

About half an inch thick sized(if I remember correctly) permrods(green I think):

@stacyppl
About the flexirod thing, I'd just let your stylist know that you've seen people with good results having a curlperm done with flexirods.
If she knows how to work with flexirods for heatstyling then she should be able to do it for a curlperm, it just depends on her skills(knowing how much hair to put on the rod to achieve the best results and how tightly to roll it) and rodsize on how tight the curls will come out.I agree with you, it does sound like she is inexperienced in using flexirods with the curlperm.

Date Posted: Oct 03 2010 at 2:00pm
stephshe,

I want to order some of that curl gel u are using, but I wanted to double check first. Is it called BODY WAVE MOISTURE GEL STYLING CONDITIONER?Tongue

Posted By: obsessedwithhai
Date Posted: Oct 03 2010 at 7:04pm

Great pics!  I'm so glad that I have gone back to a cury perm!

Date Posted: Oct 03 2010 at 7:23pm

thanks again for the garlic tip for the shedding..

I see a LOT less shedding this week. I did mix a batch of crushed garlic and coconut oil and used it along with the Alter Ego Hot Oil Garlic treatment (I caught it on sale for $17). Im going to do another treatment this weekend and going forward every weekend for one month.

I do think the WN is too strong a perm for my hair, so Im lookin for other perms out there. Is it safe for me to use a different product over the WN?

thanks

Date Posted: Oct 04 2010 at 12:51pm

seven baby

I think u can use any thio perm with WN , like carefree, or one of the newer one, as long as it is a thio perm. When I was reading through the forums trying to decide which perm to get it seemed to be alot of people having shedding that were using the WN so I choose the Carefree curl, I think the Wn is stronger.

Date Posted: Oct 04 2010 at 3:33pm
hey guys just came back from my holiday in portugal it was great, i went in the sea and everything with my perm with no problems i just had to remeber to take my hair products with me to the beach to apply once i got out i cowashed and my hair feels great my SO loves my hair even tho its short he said it feels so nice and soft which i never had with my relaxer im fully loving this new style cant wait to get my length back 

Date Posted: Oct 05 2010 at 9:11am

Hi Ladies, I've been wearing my hair straight for a few weeks but I think this will be my last week doing that because my roots are growing alot since I'm at the 9 week mark. I'll probably get my retouch at about 12weeks this time.

Teeder- yes that is the name of the gel I use, it's by v-violet.

Ritle-I just love your curly perm pics, I think you had the best curly perm I've ever seenClap

Date Posted: Oct 05 2010 at 3:27pm
for those ladies with longer hair id like to know what kind of styles you wore as your hair got longer as im starting to think of style options for when i start getting length

Posted By: *M. Gurl *
Date Posted: Oct 05 2010 at 3:27pm
loves it!

Date Posted: Oct 05 2010 at 6:49pm
thnx@Stephshe

for those ladies with longer hair id like to know what kind of styles you wore as your hair got longer as im starting to think of style options for when i start getting length

During that period, I have to say I used to wear it loose most of the time, I was quite boring in the hair department for atleast 75% of the time.

I loved the side ponytail allot.

I wore allot of hats/berets etc.

Minniemouse buns with sidebang.

High ponytails

Medium Ponytails

Other than that, I used to wear buns allot(hanging buns, rolled buns, doughnut bun) and mostly tight ponytails, but also a really low loose cavalier ponytail(basically pulling the scrunchy near the end) or I'd wear my hair bone straight once in a while.

Oh btw, kinda random, but I found a pic of a more spirally look:

Date Posted: Oct 06 2010 at 9:15am
@ritle thanks honey i had a feeling that id have boring or not much style in the beginning and i guess the less manipulation the better  

Date Posted: Oct 06 2010 at 3:24pm

@ritle thanks honey i had a feeling that id have boring or not much style in the beginning and i guess the less manipulation the better  

You're welcome.
Well, nothing wrong with switching things up a bit. I just wish I had done that more, because the folders where some of those pics came from... wow... it's like I am looking at the same pics over and over again, wayyy too boring.

Posted By: tinkerbell94
Date Posted: Oct 07 2010 at 3:39pm

Anyone had to deal with shedding, got my touch-up (WN) and a color rinse at the same time and it feels that my hair is thinning and it is shedding. I am going to try the alter-ego con and see what happens, any suggestions appreciated.

Date Posted: Oct 07 2010 at 4:19pm
its been 3weeks now i havent had any shedding yet 

Posted By: sunshine1
Date Posted: Oct 07 2010 at 9:47pm
tinkerbell

The color rinse could dry the hair a bit ... you might want to try  Mizani H2O night time treatment every other night, also my hair dresser recommends Ion reconstructor twice a month till the shedding stops (it available from Sally's in a bottle or in little packets).

good luck!

Date Posted: Oct 08 2010 at 9:32pm

the shedding is back. and I blame megatek. my fault, I believe. I applied megatek to my scalp, but I alos topped it off and spead a layer over my hair. protein overload im sure.

so here I am, back to the garlic. im going to leave it in over night and wash out in the am.

I stopped using the WN products, humectant and mouse. and made my own concoction of coconut oil,cren,wgo,evoo..but it made my curls look very "jheri"

but my hair needs that moisture, its very thirsty.

any tips?

also, im getting tired of the short look. im interested in some length.

anyone have tips on how to make the clips or falls/half wigs that match the curly perm look?

thanks Embarrassed

Posted By: samorya
Date Posted: Oct 10 2010 at 6:41am
Originally posted by stephshe stephshe wrote:

Hi ladiesSmile. I started this new curly perm thread since this is officially my 2nd year anniversary of having the curly perm and the other thread is over 90 pages I think. So please lets post all the new stuff in this one so that newbies won't have sooo much to read.

The first post is still great to read though but lets keep the newer stuff here

Ok well I got my retouch on Friday and boy my hair has really grown in this 2 years. I think I am back to the length I was before I ever cut my hair. I think I can say that I now and at bra strap length while straight(at least in the back). Here is a pic, it's wet in this pic. I can't wait until my hair is this long when curlySmile

Have you always  had long hair, or did it just start to grow when you started to get the cfc? or when you started bhm?

Date Posted: Oct 10 2010 at 6:35pm
I've always had long hair, the only time it was ever short was when I cut it to get the curly perm

Date Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 12:01pm

Hey ladiesSmile, I'm trying to book my retouch for Friday at 3:30 because my hair needs it bad. I'm still thinking about going smaller with the rods because my curl pattern seems loose right now but I guess that could be because I just washed it after having it straight for about 2 weeks. Although I like the v-violet body wave I'm starting to think that the carefree curl actually produced tighter curls but the carefree curl shed more.  I also noticed after playing with my new growth that I have a small patch that has broken off near the crown, which is weird because I never really see more than a strand or too or hair. I'm not really worried about it right now though but I will have to wait and see how it looks after my retouch.

Date Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 12:55pm
stephshe,
I wanted to know what your hair routine is when u wear your hair straight, How do u keep it moist, and how do u straighten it Tongue Thanks!

Date Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 12:58pm
stepshe oooh cant wait to see the new pics 

teeder what length are you planning on straightening at?

eta thanks for the cowashing tip my hair is thriving 

Date Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 1:18pm
stephshe,- thanks i just ordered that vviolet gel over the phone ,Tongue And can't wait to try it.

Choongy,-I was thinking, I would wait until I have a bob look at least. or maybe trying it for a weekend now, just to see..Smile

Date Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 1:21pm
choongy,   - oh, and i love co-washing, I will need use shampoo again, may hair use to look so bad for the first 2 or 3 days after a wash, now it looks great right after.

Date Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 1:23pm
oop's I mean never use shampoo again.....Embarrassed

Date Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 2:09pm

Hi Teeder, when I wore my hair straight this time I did a wash and set. I used some sabino moisture block along with a little generic chil silk infusion from  sallys. After it was dry I flat ironed it using beyond the zone heat protectant.

For maintanence on a daily basis I use vviolet oil moist and argan oil by proclaim( also bought from sallys). I also occasionally put the vviolet body wave activator gel on my roots and scalp

Date Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 2:17pm
@teeder yea i rarely reach for the shampoo now i think i washed it last week sometime as i had some sand in my hair when i went to the beach 

@stepshe is v violet only available in the US

Date Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 4:04pm
Choongy I believe it is only sold in the US, it's a pretty new company. You still may be able to purchase from their website vviolet.net or pm me if you want my stylist information and would sell and ship to you.

Date Posted: Oct 13 2010 at 12:35pm
thanks - stephshe

Choongy, i called the company and ordered, because the web site when not allow me to purchase.

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 5:17am
oh thanks ladies stepshe when i  use up all my other products i shall pm you as my perm is only 4weeks old im still messing around with stuff so far i dont not like the ferm finishing products so im trying to use it up quickly 

Posted By: tiavalentine
Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 12:43pm
Now I want a curly perm! I am 6 months post relaxer. I hope I don't loose too much hair Confused

Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 12:47pm
^^^ i was 5months post when i got my curl if you can deal with short hair for a while you will be fine i love it im 4weeks post and have ng already 

Posted By: tiavalentine
Date Posted: Oct 14 2010 at 1:10pm

^^^ i was 5months post when i got my curl if you can deal with short hair for a while you will be fine i love it im 4weeks post and have ng already 

My hair is just past my shoulders (after getting a huge cut in December). I wanted to have some length. Maybe I need to re-think this Cry

Print Page | Close Window