Forum Name: Oily Skin
Forum Description: Discussions on Oily Skin
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=269435
Printed Date: Jan 17 2018 at 7:37am

Topic: Oil Cleansing Method
Posted By: StarryLady
Subject: Oil Cleansing Method
Date Posted: Jul 12 2010 at 7:42pm
Has anyone tried the "Oil Cleansing Method"?

Basically you use oil to cleanse you skin. They key ingredient is Castor Oil, you use 20% - 50% depending on how oily your skin is. You must also use either Extra Virgin Olive Oil or another carrier oil like Jojoba Oil.

You massage the oil mixture into your skin with your hands for a few minutes. Then use put a hot washcloth over your face and allow it to steam, then wipe away the excess oil. you repeat the steaming process again and your face should feel clean and renewed. Here is more on the process:

www.theoilcleansingmethod.com

Here is a youtube video of the process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-iQo60y912g

I am trying it tonight for the 1st time. I'm using 25% Castor Oil and 75% Jojoba Oil with a few drops of Tea Tree Oil. I'll come back with a review.

Replies:
Date Posted: Jul 12 2010 at 8:56pm
Here is a blog I found describing the method:

http://aishawood.blogspot.com/2008/04/ocm-oil-cleansing-method.html

Date Posted: Jul 12 2010 at 9:51pm
Okay, so I tried it tonight and my face feels great. It also feels very clean. I am going to do this every night for the next week to see if the results improve.

I have oily skin and right now it doesn't feel oily or dry/irritated, but balanced. This will be my new night time regimen. However, in the morning I will still:

WASH with neutrogena salicylic acid cleansing bar
TONE with witch hazel
MOISTURIZE with jojoba oil

I'll be back with updates...

Posted By: ElectricLady
Date Posted: Jul 15 2010 at 7:00pm
YES, the oil cleansing method is no doubt the best for my skin. My skin was never this good. I think it's going to be a year now that I've followed the OCM and I am loving my skin~!

African Black Soap has also done me a world of good. You don't actually need soap with the OCM, but the black soap is just an extra boost of nutrients and glow for me.

Posted By: MissMesha
Date Posted: Jul 19 2010 at 1:23am
This seems interesting. I hope this will work for me.

Posted By: GreenGiant
Date Posted: Aug 13 2010 at 7:14pm
Omg, I can't believe how great this works! I used grapeseed oil because I didnt have castor oil and I read it has great astringent qualities. I was so skeptical about this method because my skin is so oily but this is the truth!

Posted By: MissMesha
Date Posted: Aug 17 2010 at 5:21pm
^ I think I'll try another oil instead of castor oil too. I'm just so used to using castor oil for my hair, I'm scared I'll grow hair on my face lol. [I know that's not going to happen, but I'm not comfortable with it yet.]

Posted By: GreenGiant
Date Posted: Aug 19 2010 at 5:25pm
I added the castor to the grapeseed oil (30% castor and 70% grapeseed) and I broke out again.
Maybe it was too harsh so I'll just stick with the grapeseed.

Posted By: tjayce88
Date Posted: Aug 20 2010 at 12:33am
I just started doing this and the ingredients I used were:

Tea tree oil (few drops)
Castor Oil (maybe 40%)
Olive oil

Now originally I was using this in my hair, but now that it's braided up I don't use it as much for my hair, and I read about the oil method and i decided to put it on my face. I can DEFINITELY see a difference even though I've been using it on and off for only about a week. My face looks so much more glowy and my acne is starting to fade a lot better. Also, I can notice a significan reduction in oil production on my face. Its just a slight glow - not too oily or dry. =)

I've also been washing my face with honey. I usually mix the honey with Apricot Scrub (like the St. Ives kinds, but I have the Wal-mart bran) and my face gets soooo clean but not dry like my Clean and Clear face wash made it.

Posted By: khivey
Date Posted: Aug 30 2010 at 4:55pm
i love this..i use almond oil and jojoba oil....when i tried it with castor oil my skin didnt like it. i never tried grapeseed.

Posted By: CallmePretty
Date Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 7:30am
Great method. It helped even out my skin. I mixed vitamin e castor oil and flax seed. I steam my face before and during to help the oil absorb. Also love it because a little goes a looooonngg way.

Posted By: MissCapricorn
Date Posted: Sep 28 2010 at 1:32pm
Will be trying OCM tonight. My acne has calmed w/ exception of monthly pimples that leaves dark spots, hopefully this will boost my skin from controlled to glowy and clear

Posted By: kalenjin
Date Posted: Nov 03 2010 at 10:36pm
I have used it with ponds cold cream, plain olive oil or sometimes just caster..they all work fine.

I dont use toners as they strip my skin, i have very thin skin

Posted By: brownskin_honie
Date Posted: Mar 10 2011 at 12:05am
BUMPing for results! Big smile

Posted By: LaKeys
Date Posted: Mar 10 2011 at 9:20pm
Both me and my hubby are now OCMing.  I am using 40% castor oil, 40% safflower oil and 20% jojoba oil and my skin LOVES it!! My face glows beautifully and I have only been doing it for a week now!  My hubs face is coming out great also, he is using a 30% castor oil and 70% safflower oil blend.  We both have dark spots also, so I have ordered organic turmeric powder off of Amazon to make a mask with to help with them.  Hopefully, clearer and brighter skin will be in our future! Smile

Posted By: Mishar
Date Posted: Mar 25 2011 at 9:53am
^^ what do you plan on mixing the Turmeric with to make a mask?

Posted By: LaKeys
Date Posted: Mar 27 2011 at 9:59am
I mixed the turmeric with milk and a little bit of lemon juice and made it into a paste and then applied it to my face.  I've only done it twice, so of course, I'm not seeing results yet, but I also don't give up easily either. 

As for me OCMing, I am not sure if the castor oil or the safflower oil is the culprit, but something has made me break out now, so I switched to 50% grapeseed oil and 50% jojoba oil with a few drops of tea tree oil in for good measure.  Grapeseed is supposed to be more gentle, yet still effective.  Hopefully, I will see better results!  My hubby is still seeing great results with his mixture, though.

Posted By: Brown$kin
Date Posted: Aug 02 2011 at 7:44am
hey guys sorry to seem dumb if you ocm does that mean you dont use a any kind of soap or shower gel at all? i was under the impression that the oil would contain any dirt u accumulate over the day and trap it on your skin, not doubting anyone but i just want to understand the process

Posted By: MsDidi13
Date Posted: Aug 29 2011 at 1:54am
It is a great method but I would experiment with different types of oils to see what works best for you...my skin loves safflower and almond but not olive oil...I also want to try flax and some others...I have not thought about Castor...I will have to add that to my list...also...adding some essential oils is greatly helpful...you can look up oil properties for both carrier/base and essential oils at fromnaturewithlove.com...I make my own products and use this site as well as a few others to get supplies...but this site has excellent descriptions and other resources on their site...

Posted By: GHcalabash
Date Posted: Sep 02 2011 at 9:32pm
Do you use the oil cleansing method everyday or only as a deep cleaning thing?

Posted By: SimplisticLove
Date Posted: Sep 06 2011 at 10:22am
never heard or tried anything like this .. might be giving it a try :) 

-------------
Follow me on my Journey : Youtube.com/GlamorousKYANNA

*Lose some lbs b4 2O12 Challenge
*Beginners Hair Care Challenge
*1+ Inch By Christmas Challenge

Posted By: Nimi
Date Posted: Oct 05 2011 at 3:54am
Been doing the OCM at least once a week for a while now. I think it's quite good...

Posted By: marissy
Date Posted: Oct 05 2011 at 8:37am
I tried it before with olive oil, then jojoba oil, then sweet almond oil. OCM didn't do anything except give me acne. Cry

Reading other boards, people were saying how they would feel 'grit' on their skin after rubbing the oil in for a while. Nothing like that had ever happened to me. Is it supposed to?!

Posted By: MsDidi13
Date Posted: Oct 20 2011 at 8:58pm
Originally posted by GHcalabash GHcalabash wrote:

Do you use the oil cleansing method everyday or only as a deep cleaning thing?

Sorry for the late response...I do it every night...I have done it twice a day and it was fine as well...but if I am in a rush I am inconsistent in the day since I like to do a good rub down and let it marinate for a bit when I do it...LOL...so mostly every night...

Posted By: shrew297
Date Posted: Oct 23 2011 at 6:41pm
I do the OCM every weekend. During the week I use black soap. In the beginning my ratio was off and I got some bad breakouts. I kept at it and now my skin loves it. I use 30% castor oil with 70% olive. I tried it with grapeseed but I prefer the results I get with olive oil. I also add a couple drops of tea tree oil - it helps with breakouts. The OCM really helped with keeping my skin free of pimples but not with the marks from previous breakouts - the black soap and my facial mask I make with plain yoghurt, lemon juice and honey did an excellent job at that. 

Posted By: Elsa Tobin
Date Posted: Dec 05 2011 at 1:56am
thanks for your infor 

Posted By: dejee
Date Posted: Dec 05 2011 at 10:27am
I've been doing this everday for over a year now. Not only is it helpful in removing my waterproof mascara, it has helped clear up my skin.

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Jan 03 2012 at 7:19pm
I have tried this method on several occassions and for me it makes my skin even worse.  I haven't found the right oil combination that doesn't break me out (no I will not add tea tree oil because that is the main ingredient that breaks me out).  At least I have my CeraVe to aid me in the mean time.

-------------
Laws are not written to protect children and women. They are written to protect MEN. - TokyoRose (truncated unfortunately)

Posted By: addywilson
Date Posted: Aug 27 2012 at 6:01am
Oil cleansing method is good for face skin. It removes the dirt, oil from the skin. It may be a good idea to select a cleanser that is alcohol-free for use on dry, sensitive, or dehydrated skin.

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Aug 28 2012 at 9:07pm
Well I am using a oil cleanser by Kose or Softymo that is agreeing with my skin.  I am glad about that.

-------------
Laws are not written to protect children and women. They are written to protect MEN. - TokyoRose (truncated unfortunately)

Date Posted: Sep 02 2012 at 5:58am
You must use the right oil for your skin. I know Olive oil is no good for my skin..for me..almond oil and jojoba oil, almond oil and sunflower oil, almond oil and coconut oil all worked for me. I only stopped because I didn't have water hot enough to steam my face anymore..the right oil combination is key..you have to know what oils your skin likes. 

-------------
Hair Type:3c/4a
Hair Length:SBL
“The approval of others often forms an essential part of our capacity to think we are right.”

Posted By: m33lah09
Date Posted: Sep 24 2012 at 1:22am
I have been doing this with castor and olive oil, I don't know how much I just pour a little of each in my hand. I actually like it, my face doesn't get as oily but I use it over night. Is it ok to do this twice a day? In the mornings I wash my face with my regular face wash and then put on some moisturizer but I'm noticing when I do that my face goes right back to being and oily and I even get some pimples. Anyone else experiencing this?

Posted By: Emily Loretta
Date Posted: Nov 19 2012 at 1:49pm
I use castor oil, evoo, and peppermint oil, the peppermint gives my face a deep cleansing and cooling feeling. I just added vitamin e oil this morning. Tonight when I get home and do the OCM I'll see how the addition of vitamin e works out. But i love the ocm method so far, it reallyy has cleared my skin of acne and has left it soft and moisturized. I'm still playing around with how much to put on though. Less is definately more. Oh and instead of a wash rag I boil water and hold my face over the boil while the stean rses to open my pores, I really love it! lol Just gotta get rid of the dark spots now. Anyone got stips for that?

Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 2:20am
To get rid of the dark spots exfoliate with sea salt or sugar 2-3x a week. You need to be consistent. Over time you will see a difference. Once they are gone, then cut down to exfoliating 1c a week for maintenance. If you get the occasional pimple the dark spots don't have time to get dark.

-------------
Hair Type:3c/4a
Hair Length:SBL
“The approval of others often forms an essential part of our capacity to think we are right.”

Posted By: Emily Loretta
Date Posted: Nov 21 2012 at 6:44pm
Originally posted by khivey khivey wrote:

To get rid of the dark spots exfoliate with sea salt or sugar 2-3x a week. You need to be consistent. Over time you will see a difference. Once they are gone, then cut down to exfoliating 1c a week for maintenance. If you get the occasional pimple the dark spots don't have time to get dark.

Really! I exfoliate my lips with sugar now, and that's definitely helping me get the softest lips ever. So I'll try exfoliating with sugar next on my face probable tonight before bed. Thanks hun! I really hope this woks, I hate my dark spots!  

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Jan 16 2013 at 2:26pm
What I have been doing that works is getting wetting a washcloth with hot water and leaving on my face for less than a minute. Before sleeping I apply coconut oil on my face and the acne is pretty much gone!
I noticed that applying cream, lotion or anything else and leaving overnight on my face doesn't compare to what I have been doing.

I plan in getting tea tree oil or peppermint oil to feel the tingling sensation that Emily mentioned Smile

-------------
hip measured is from fullest part on butt:
start: 32C-24-35

http://24.media.tumblr.com/9bbbc000b1aa15d0337a651ec6e3f36c/tumblr_n1g94wvCbW1rk74v1o1_400.gif

http://i63.tinypic.com/2hn7ui0.jpg

Posted By: marissy
Date Posted: Feb 03 2013 at 7:52am
I have tried the OCM years before with food grade coconut, olive, grapeseed, sweet almond, and jojoba oils (not all at once but on separate occasions). I truly hated it because I kept getting pimples afterward.

Recently, I bought Auracacia grapeseed oil (in the actual face/beauty section in the store, not the food isle) and it works wonders for me. I am starting to wonder if it was the quality of those oils that actually caused the acne? Anyway, I just rub a bit of the oil in between my palms and massage it in my dry skin for about 2 minutes. Then I use a warm, damp paper towel to wipe away the oil. Afterward, I use regular soap/cleanser to wash away the excess oil. It makes my skin very soft and I believe it has helped to get rid of some of my acne. My face feels smoother and softer.

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Feb 03 2013 at 1:13pm
Well, I don't know if my face gets used to it or what but I stopped with the coconut oil because my face looked greasy and there was no more visible difference.
I was sleeping with coconut oil on my face, maybe that was the problem; after a while, it clogged the pores instead of cleansing them. I tried castor oil and the hot towel like it was suggested on the first post and I didn't see any results.

-------------
hip measured is from fullest part on butt:
start: 32C-24-35

http://24.media.tumblr.com/9bbbc000b1aa15d0337a651ec6e3f36c/tumblr_n1g94wvCbW1rk74v1o1_400.gif

http://i63.tinypic.com/2hn7ui0.jpg

Posted By: mostafa01
Date Posted: Oct 12 2013 at 9:47pm
nice post ! thank you for sharing this information
http://best-make-up-for-oily-skin.blogspot.com/ - best makeup for oily skin

Print Page | Close Window