Print Page | Close Window

How can a white guy (like myself) get an Afro ...

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Natural Hair Care
Forum Name: Afros
Forum Description: General Discussion on Afros
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=266842
Printed Date: Sep 15 2019 at 5:47pm

Topic: How can a white guy (like myself) get an Afro ...
Posted By: idoesit
Subject: How can a white guy (like myself) get an Afro ...
Date Posted: Jun 28 2010 at 1:44pm

I was wondering if a white guy (like myself) can actually have an Afro? if so.. HOW!? and how would it look like? how long would my hair have to be?? and how would I be able to maintain it? (because I want a permanent Afro, not something temporary that would only last a few days)

This is kinda what I'm aiming for (not necessarily):
http://www.last.fm/music/LMFAO/+images/6564483
(guy on the right, obviously lol)

If anybody knows what I'm talking about and actually thinks it could be possible, leave me a message here, I can also post a picture of myself for you guys to see if its possible at all.. (my hair is a bit curly and very thick)

---------------

Also, I've read a lot about getting a perm but I know I need more than that for an Afro and I wouldn't mind some useful tips!

and any other info that you think might be important, please feel free to post it!
Thanks in advance!!!

Replies:
Posted By: katakana89
Date Posted: Jun 29 2010 at 10:29am
It doesn't matter if you're African, Caucasian, Korean, or Mexican; if your hair is fine you will never achieve an afro. All afros are: people with such tight curls in their hair that the hair can stand on it's own from the curl pattern. The looser the curl, the more able it is to weigh itself down.

For instance, despite my heritage I have very small, tight coils throughout my head, creating an afro (as I have natural, non-chemically altered hair). I'm assuming because you stated that you are "white" that your hair is very fine/straight? If it is, I'm not sure if you will ever be able to pull off the afro.

I'm not sure about perms. I've never had one and have no knowledge of it.

And the guy in the picture may have been born with that curly hair, could be wearing a wig, or chemically altered his hair to curl in such a way.

Good luck~ hope this helped~

Posted By: katakana89
Date Posted: Jun 29 2010 at 10:32am
Actually, now that I look at that picture again, he might be mixed with ancestry that can make his hair curly. He looks exactly like my ex who has a Jamaican mother and Irish father. His hair curls to an afro just like that guy's hair. Just a thought.

Posted By: intl_babygirl
Date Posted: Jun 29 2010 at 9:40pm
you can always get a perm

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Jun 29 2010 at 9:42pm
how curly is your natural hair? is it more like waves?

Posted By: rissa86
Date Posted: Jul 28 2010 at 3:51am
I don't think it's going to happen. It's a combo of our hair texure and curl pattern. I've seen some awesome jew fro's in my time though . . . Maybe if you cut is short and got a curly perm it would be close. Kind of like Fred Savages hair.

Posted By: ejfel
Date Posted: Aug 26 2010 at 12:45am

It's be interesting to see the result of a perm on a caucasion male. It might give you a fro, as pictures I've seen of white women from the 80's with perms are always big puffy hair. Good luck

Posted By: juniordetective
Date Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by katakana89 katakana89 wrote:

It doesn't matter if you're African, Caucasian, Korean, or Mexican; if your hair is fine you will never achieve an afro. All afros are: people with such tight curls in their hair that the hair can stand on it's own from the curl pattern. The looser the curl, the more able it is to weigh itself down.

For instance, despite my heritage I have very small, tight coils throughout my head, creating an afro (as I have natural, non-chemically altered hair). I'm assuming because you stated that you are "white" that your hair is very fine/straight? If it is, I'm not sure if you will ever be able to pull off the afro.

I'm not sure about perms. I've never had one and have no knowledge of it.

And the guy in the picture may have been born with that curly hair, could be wearing a wig, or chemically altered his hair to curl in such a way.

Good luck~ hope this helped~

WRONG. Fine haired people can have an afro. Fine hair is just the thickness of the strand. An afro depends on the size of the curl. The smaller the curl the more likely you'll have an afro. I have fine hair but tight curls, therefore I have an afro. Just because your hair is straight or loosely curled doesn't mean your hair is "fine". Actually 4a/4b people are more likely to have fine hair. Not saying that they all do, but its more likely. That's why I had breakage in the back of my head at the nape when I was relaxed, because the hair there is fine. Even more fine than the rest of my hair.

Posted By: AllyOrNotAlly
Date Posted: Oct 11 2010 at 10:35pm
D:< I have fine hair and an amazing afro!

Posted By: Lady Gem
Date Posted: Oct 12 2010 at 2:44pm
Not gonna happen. 

Posted By: Foxglove
Date Posted: Oct 19 2010 at 9:46pm
That guy's hair looks like that bc he isn't white. He's from the group LMFAO. One of them is the very black Berry Gordy's son and the other is his nephew

Posted By: honey*
Date Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 2:10am
womp

Posted By: CincygirlD
Date Posted: Oct 21 2010 at 10:25pm
He's not white, but it's possible. Post a pic please!

Posted By: yourleoqueen
Date Posted: Oct 21 2010 at 10:33pm
Getchu a Quantum 5 Extra Volume Acid Perm and some red rods from Sally Beauty Supply. Leave it on 7 and a half minutes longer than the directions say (EXACTLY 7 and a half minutes) and you'll be Afro'd up! Thumbs Up

ETA: Oh, this was started in June.  Ermm @ who ever bumped it. 

Posted By: AllyOrNotAlly
Date Posted: Oct 21 2010 at 11:34pm
lol.....he's not coming back

Posted By: honey*
Date Posted: Oct 24 2010 at 3:54am
Originally posted by AllyOrNotAlly AllyOrNotAlly wrote:

lol.....he's not coming back

sure aint

Posted By: StrayFish
Date Posted: Oct 27 2010 at 1:51pm
Try washing with coke

Posted By: Brown$kin
Date Posted: Aug 23 2011 at 4:26am
is this a joke? some kinda setup?

Posted By: Blue1206
Date Posted: Sep 10 2011 at 7:27pm

have you got any pics of your hair

-------------
Current Length: SL
My site:
http://shaystouch.wordpress.com/

x Perfectly Imperfect x

Date Posted: Sep 10 2011 at 7:29pm
so someone asked if this post is a joke

There are millions of black women who immitate white ppl's hair (with relaxers/ weaves). So why do we find it funny when a white person wants to immitate a black person's hair??

SAME THING

-------------
My site:

x Perfectly Imperfect x

Posted By: bellacnella
Date Posted: Sep 10 2011 at 7:32pm
Korean Afro Perm....google it...it is totally possible.

-------------
http://public.fotki.com/bellacnella18/

Posted By: bellacnella
Date Posted: Sep 10 2011 at 7:33pm
damn this is an old thread!

-------------
http://public.fotki.com/bellacnella18/

Date Posted: Sep 10 2011 at 7:36pm
Originally posted by bellacnella bellacnella wrote:

Korean Afro Perm....google it...it is totally possible.

just googled it & oh wowShocked

-------------
My site:

x Perfectly Imperfect x

Posted By: csungrl09
Date Posted: Sep 10 2011 at 10:17pm
Wow that explains sooo much! I saw an asia girl at my school sporting a fro that was nappier than mines!!! i was like Confused

but its kinda cool to see people of other races tryna sweat our hair styles.

-------------
Even with a low LSAT, i'm a hot commodity.

Posted By: DawlFace
Date Posted: Sep 10 2011 at 10:25pm
Try this...I dont kno if this will even help...

Posted By: mybeautifulblacknatu
Date Posted: Apr 30 2013 at 3:58pm
first of all you got to be born with the flo to get an afro also one tip i got for you is to curl yo hair to have a curly afro but you cant get any closer to an african american afro!

Posted By: LadyAradia
Date Posted: May 01 2013 at 4:04pm

Perm on tiny red perm rods. May make it hard to comb hair, will have to use a pick, and hair might break off.

Posted By: femmemuscleisback
Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by mybeautifulblacknatu mybeautifulblacknatu wrote:

first of all you got to be born with the flo to get an afro also one tip i got for you is to curl yo hair to have a curly afro but you cant get any closer to an african american afro!

absolute ignorance..

not only the "bolded" but the whole quote..

Confused

Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 1:50pm

Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 1:52pm

Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 1:53pm

Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 1:55pm

Date Posted: May 04 2013 at 2:00pm