Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Hair Care
Forum Name: Hair Care - General
Forum Description: General Discussions on Hair Care
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=26676
Printed Date: Nov 19 2019 at 8:58pm

Topic: The Official Co Washing Thread!
Posted By: chai
Subject: The Official Co Washing Thread!
Date Posted: Jun 15 2006 at 8:31pm
Since I see so many posts on co-washing from confused newbies, I thought this post would be helpful.  Also, this would be nice for some of the older members who dislike seeing the same posts asking the same questions about co washing over and over again. Tongue

Definition: Co-Washing is a technique that entails washing your hair solely with conditioner, this includes massaging the conditioner into your scalp like you would with shampoo as well as putting it on the length of your hair.

Benefits: Moisture, moisture, moisture! As well as softness and added mangeability for new growth

How-To:  Everyone does it differently.  There is really no 'right' way to co-wash.  If you do it differently than someone else, you will not be damaging your hair.  Personally, I let water run over the length of my hair and apply my conditioner in sections so I know that my hair is evenly coated.  I then massage it into my scalp and finger comb it through, which helps with the detangling process later.  Afterwards, I proceed to continue about my activities and rinse it out when I'm about to get out of the shower.

Products: Most of us perfer to use cheap conditioners because we co wash often.  Favorites tend to be: Suave, White Rain, and VO5.  I like those as well as Herbal Essences.  Some people cannot use cheap shampoos so they use conditioners like Keracare Humecto, Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner, and Nexxus Humectress

Growth: Because co washing can also clean the scalp, it is good for growth.  Hair goes faster with a cleaner scalp.  Some ladies report receiving enhanced growth from frequent co washes.

How Often: The average range is from daily to once a week. This obviously varies.

Feel free to add whatever else you want or ask any questions!

Replies:
Posted By: Nubianqt86
Date Posted: Jun 15 2006 at 8:48pm
I've been doing this since I started my transition. Ladies, this has kept me from ripping my hair out in frustration!

Date Posted: Jun 16 2006 at 9:00pm
Bump for newbies

Posted By: angel28
Date Posted: Jun 17 2006 at 9:16am

Can't think of anything to add but this thread is a great idea Chai,Clap there are always co-washing questions popping up. Co-washing is one of the greatest hair discoveries I've made since coming to hair boards.

Posted By: jamparis1
Date Posted: Jun 17 2006 at 10:41am
Thanks for the thought. Though I'm not a "true" newbie, I've learnt from your post!

Posted By: Only1biancab
Date Posted: Jun 17 2006 at 11:22am
Well, there are some things newbies to co-washing should remember.  It's best to not use conditioners with silicone or any derivative of silicone (look for the -icone).  If you're going to do it often, it's probably not a good idea to use protein conditioners for cowashing either.

Posted By: Priestess
Date Posted: Jun 17 2006 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by Only1biancab Only1biancab wrote:

Well, there are some things newbies to co-washing should remember.  It's best to not use conditioners with silicone or any derivative of silicone (look for the -icone). If you're going to do it often, it's probably not a good idea to use protein conditioners for cowashing either.

I totally agree with this.  Just the thought people using NTM conditioner for co-washes or any cone-laden conditioner is cause for concern.  All those silicones are going to be counterproductive to actually cleaning the hair for a co-wash.  That's why Suave and Vo5 are ideal choices instead.  They are cheap and cone-free!  Wink

As far as using conditioners that contain protein for co-washes I agree you have to be careful.  If you have some co-wash conditioners that contain protein, you want to be mindful of what kind of conditioner you are following up with post co-wash so as to not OD on protein.   Smile

Posted By: bellahoney
Date Posted: Jun 17 2006 at 6:07pm
newbie here...thanks for posting, very very helpful....I have been browsing the boards and saw co-wash quite a few times but wasnt exactly sure of what was meant by it.    

Posted By: Priestess
Date Posted: Jun 17 2006 at 6:48pm
Your welcome, Bellahoney.  I remember when I first started frequentinhg hair boards and I read about co-washes, I was like, "What the?!"  Geek

Posted By: tarah86
Date Posted: Jun 18 2006 at 1:58am
I'm for this post. I'mma start my co-wash on friday(hopefully if I can find a cheap conditioner). I'm either gonna get suave or vo5. Maybe Vo5 cuz I used to use it when I was younger

Posted By: cocowhite
Date Posted: Jun 18 2006 at 2:07am
I would like to join I have been co-washing for about 3 weeks now.

Date Posted: Jun 18 2006 at 12:46pm

VO5 is about 77 cents to $1 where I live. Very cheap and comes in a nice sized bottle!

Posted By: tarah86
Date Posted: Jun 22 2006 at 11:56pm
did the co-wash with my doo gro conditioner, turned out pretty good.  Gonna find a moisturizing conditioner next time(possibly VO5)

Posted By: B_phlyy
Date Posted: Jun 23 2006 at 12:01am
Also, some people call co washing the no poo method.

Posted By: Lady Pink Ice
Date Posted: Jun 26 2006 at 8:54am
Originally posted by chai chai wrote:

Since I see so many posts on co-washing from confused newbies, I thought this post would be helpful.  Also, this would be nice for some of the older members who dislike seeing the same posts asking the same questions about co washing over and over again. Tongue

Definition: Co-Washing is a technique that entails washing your hair solely with conditioner, this includes massaging the conditioner into your scalp like you would with shampoo as well as putting it on the length of your hair.

Benefits: Moisture, moisture, moisture! As well as softness and added mangeability for new growth

How-To:  Everyone does it differently.  There is really no 'right' way to co-wash.  If you do it differently than someone else, you will not be damaging your hair.  Personally, I let water run over the length of my hair and apply my conditioner in sections so I know that my hair is evenly coated.  I then massage it into my scalp and finger comb it through, which helps with the detangling process later.  Afterwards, I proceed to continue about my activities and rinse it out when I'm about to get out of the shower.

Products: Most of us perfer to use cheap conditioners because we co wash often.  Favorites tend to be: Suave, White Rain, and VO5.  I like those as well as Herbal Essences.  Some people cannot use cheap shampoos so they use conditioners like Keracare Humecto, Neutrogena Triple Moisture Daily Deep Conditioner, and Nexxus Humectress

Growth: Because co washing can also clean the scalp, it is good for growth.  Hair goes faster with a cleaner scalp.  Some ladies report receiving enhanced growth from frequent co washes.

How Often: The average range is from daily to once a week. This obviously varies.

Feel free to add whatever else you want or ask any questions!

Chai this is an awesome post girlie!!! Vey informative and helpful...Thumbs Up

Date Posted: Jun 26 2006 at 10:31am
Thanks! Big smile

Date Posted: Jul 07 2006 at 2:54pm
Bumping again for the newbies.

Posted By: Odyssey
Date Posted: Jul 08 2006 at 2:45pm
Hey Ladies, I'm a newbie!! And I'm so happy to finally get a post that discusses co wash alone. Thank you soooo much Chai. I did do a co- wash about a week ago using Suave Humectant and Suave Naturals. Was that a good choice?

Date Posted: Jul 08 2006 at 9:27pm
Originally posted by Odyssey Odyssey wrote:

Hey Ladies, I'm a newbie!! And I'm so happy to finally get a post that discusses co wash alone. Thank you soooo much Chai. I did do a co- wash about a week ago using Suave Humectant and Suave Naturals. Was that a good choice?

Most people use Suave and V05 for their co washes. If it worked for you, then it was a good choice.

Date Posted: Jul 08 2006 at 11:07pm
You're welcome girl! Suave is good for co washes

Posted By: INSOMNIAC
Date Posted: Jul 09 2006 at 12:39pm
Thanks for explaining what co wash means.  I am new here, had no idea and was afraid to ask.

Posted By: JustAverage
Date Posted: Jul 09 2006 at 1:07pm
Originally posted by B_phlyy B_phlyy wrote:

Also, some people call co washing the no poo method.

The no-poo method means you don't use Shampoo at all, whereas the co-wash means that you do it in between washes. Lo-poo means occasionally using shampoo.

Posted By: shortsexychica
Date Posted: Jul 10 2006 at 12:00am
I'm a newbie and I've been lurking and taking notes Smileand I appreciate this thread cause I too had no idea what the heck a co~wash was....but which is better: no~poo, lo~poo or a co~wash? I'm curious

Posted By: JustAverage
Date Posted: Jul 10 2006 at 7:45am
I don't think anyone is better than the other. I don't do no-poo because I don't feel like mixing ACV's and baking soda and what not. I haven't tried lo-pooing. I basically stick to co-washes. I was co-washing my hair every other day and my ends became really weak and limp so I mixed a homemade protein treatment because I didn't have any on hand.

Posted By: DayJaVoo
Date Posted: Jul 20 2006 at 8:28pm
Bumbing for newbies.

Posted By: Moria
Date Posted: Jul 21 2006 at 2:11pm
how do you ladies style after washing?

Date Posted: Jul 21 2006 at 3:00pm
I usually just pull it up

Date Posted: Jul 21 2006 at 3:37pm
HOW LONG IS YOUR HAIR?

Date Posted: Jul 21 2006 at 3:46pm
Just brushing SL

Posted By: shortnsweet08
Date Posted: Jul 23 2006 at 11:49pm
Hey alll...i have a question. i have a wave nouveau ( it uses rods and a really light perm to create curls and waves in the hair). im wondering is co washing really for me? im hearing that some ppl cowash as much as every day, and i think this may be too much as it will dry out my hair and it is realllly important that i keep it moisturized? any thoughts??

Date Posted: Jul 24 2006 at 10:38am

Co washes adds moisture to your hair, I don't think it will really dry it out.  And you can opt for only co washes once a week. I do it about twice

Posted By: txchick72
Date Posted: Jul 26 2006 at 2:46pm
do you still add products to your hair after a co-wash?

Posted By: miss_alexandra
Date Posted: Jul 26 2006 at 3:17pm
Is cowashing only for people with natural hair or can relaxed people do it too?  I've been "stretching" my hair since April, so is it okay for me?

Date Posted: Jul 26 2006 at 4:47pm

People that are natural and relaxed can do it.

Date Posted: Jul 26 2006 at 4:47pm
Originally posted by txchick72 txchick72 wrote:

do you still add products to your hair after a co-wash?

Yes

Date Posted: Aug 01 2006 at 1:58pm
can we get a moderator or someone to post this thread and Slick's thread on http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=22392" rel="no follow - Breakage 101 permanently...i think they are both very valuable and usefull to all members???

how do we go about doing that???

Date Posted: Aug 01 2006 at 2:32pm
Hm...I guess we could message the moderator?

Date Posted: Aug 01 2006 at 2:45pm
yeah, that's what i'm thinking...

Date Posted: Aug 01 2006 at 2:55pm
i am pm'ing the administrator...you do the same!

Posted By: Kamii
Date Posted: Aug 02 2006 at 8:49pm
Thanks for this info.........Ive been looking for details on  the cowash.

Posted By: angelfire_x
Date Posted: Aug 08 2006 at 5:44pm
Bump

Posted By: cocowhite
Date Posted: Aug 10 2006 at 12:17am
Still co-washing 2 x week and regular wash on Sundays. Not sure if there is any growth, but my hair is more moisturized.

Posted By: Lilaca
Date Posted: Aug 10 2006 at 12:52pm
    Thnx 4 the info...i've neva even herd of co washin till i came on ere but i might start doing it now...i'm scared of the results it might have on my hair (if it'll make it dryer)

Date Posted: Aug 14 2006 at 10:23am
If you use products that agree with your hair, it will most likely come out soft and moisturized.

Date Posted: Aug 14 2006 at 12:10pm
Ok

Date Posted: Aug 14 2006 at 12:12pm
BTW, this is OT, but CB is adorable! I'm going to his concert this month

Posted By: Tira
Date Posted: Aug 14 2006 at 12:19pm
He is a young cutie! I get misty-eyed everytime I hear his new song "Say Goodbye". . .

Date Posted: Aug 14 2006 at 12:26pm
LoL

Posted By: Eccentrik
Date Posted: Aug 14 2006 at 4:01pm
isnt cowashing 2 and 3 times a week too much for your hair?..i was always taught that you should wash every 2 weeks because frequent washing would cause breakage..

Date Posted: Aug 14 2006 at 4:50pm
It depends.  Too much manipulation can cause breakage, but it's all on how you handle your hair.  Some co wash daily without any problems.

Posted By: Eccentrik
Date Posted: Aug 14 2006 at 5:17pm

oh ok..thanks

Posted By: NinaS
Date Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 11:30am
Do you all have relaxed hair? Because if you co-wash more than once a week, I'm assuming you have to blow-dry or use a hooded dryer to keep the hair straight, which means additional heat. Isn't that supposed to be bad for the hair?

Posted By: stillnlove63
Date Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 11:33am
i have relaxed hair and i cowash at least twice a week...I do no heat styles 

Date Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 11:37am
You mean, you let your hair dry naturally? Doesn't it cause it to revert, though? I mean, if I don't dry my hair, they end up really frizzy...

Date Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 11:58am
i co wash and wash once a week and I am relaxed. If you airdry on rollers your hair wont turn out frizzy and it also depeneds on whether you got a good moisturizer. I separate my hair into small ponytails to smooth my newgrowth and then take peices from the ponys and coat them with moisturizer add an end paper and then a roller. It looks likd of like a reg. rollerset. I wrap it to get it sleeker and add serum. The next day I may use my caruso rollers for more curl.

Date Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 12:01pm
Originally posted by NinaS NinaS wrote:

Do you all have relaxed hair? Because if you co-wash more than once a week, I'm assuming you have to blow-dry or use a hooded dryer to keep the hair straight, which means additional heat. Isn't that supposed to be bad for the hair?

My hair is relaxed and I haven't used heat in almost 4 months. I usually wear protective styles.

Posted By: stillnlove63
Date Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 12:33pm
Originally posted by NinaS NinaS wrote:

You mean, you let your hair dry naturally? Doesn't it cause it to revert, though? I mean, if I don't dry my hair, they end up really frizzy...

Are you using a moisturizer?  I airdry then pincurl it and usually sleep on those overnight and then in the morning take it down...i almost never have frizz

No it doesn't cause it to revert but my hair seems to be getting a lot more newgrowth a lot faster

Date Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 12:41pm

Thanks everybody! Moria in particular! Your explanations are always very precise and detailed. I'll try it tomorrow and let you all know how it turns out (without the Caruso rollers, though, I don't have them yet).  I guess I always had this misconception that only people with naturally soft hair texture could hair dry and that it wouldn't work on relaxed hair...

Date Posted: Aug 16 2006 at 12:46pm
you are welcome nina, I struggled with airdrying for a long time, when I tried to go back to using a flat-iron once in a bout 2 months my hair did not cooperate I cant even remember the last time I used the blowdryer. good luck we are here if you have any questions.

Date Posted: Aug 17 2006 at 1:50pm
Hi,

I tried cowashing for the first time yesterday. The results were mixed. The hair texture ended up a little bit coarser than what it would have been if I had blowdried or gone under a hooded dryer (not as silky), but overall, I can live with it, especially if it protects my hair. Before I did it, all I had to do was touch my hair for it to fall off (daily flat ironing to flip the ends). Now it feels moisturized and healthy and it's not falling.

The look of it could be better, though. I think the problem lies with the way I do the rollerset itself. I'm not used to doing it myself and I could tell it wasn't done properly. The hair wouldn't lay perfectly flat around the rollers like they do at the salon, even though I tried several times...  Not to get off topic but can someone explain how to do a good rollerset? I know it might be hard to explain but the more detail, the better...

Thanks

Nina 

Posted By: Claudie
Date Posted: Aug 19 2006 at 12:05am
I co-wash twice per week, and it is beneficial for me.  Sometimes I rollerset my hair, or put it in a ponytail.  VO5 Kiwi & Lime is excellent, I always use that first followed with another conditioner of my choice.

Date Posted: Aug 19 2006 at 9:42pm
Do you have long hair and is it a naturally soft texture? When I co-washed the other day, it seemed ok, although not great. Now it's a mess. I know I'll have to flat iron or use a curling iron on monday before going to work because the texture has gotten really rough.  I have short hair. I'm wondering if the success of that technique depends on the type of hair texture and the lenght you have in the first place. I mean, if you have Halle Berry or Eva pigford kind of hair, I guess it might be ok to airdry... Don't know if I'll try this again after all. But it still leaves me with the excess heat problem. I've been flipping with a flat iron daily previously and it's been breaking my hair off. Tried to pincurl before going to bed and it turned out a mess. Ended up undefined and frizzy.. My hairstyle depends on fairly silky artfully placed flips, high maintenance. I regret cutting my hair now...
My stylist had told me it was a low maintenance style but I guess she was scissor happy and she lied... I'm exasperated... I'm thinking of wigs at this point until my hair grows.

Posted By: talkalotgirl
Date Posted: Aug 20 2006 at 12:11am
Smile Hello,

I just found this board today and wanted to contribute.  This site is rally interesting! I am too late to join.

I posted the following on another website several months ago ...

Hello

I have a few things to share.  

WASHING HAIR

I LOVE Revlon Cream of Nature shampoo.  I like the detangling and conditioning formula.  I give my hair less stess by doing the following.  Buy a hair color applicator at the beauty store (or just use an empty wild growth bottle, more below) and only apply the shampoo to your scalp (it will move down your hair to cleanse your hair).  Wet hair, use a plastic hair pic to massage your scalp and work in a lather.  You can do this as many times as needed.  Then just rinse your hair after you have lathered the desired amount.  It's a lot less pulling and stress to your hair.  I find that when my hair loses body, it' dry and needs the moister obtained from a deep conditioner.  I wash it twice a week.

If you get build up from the WGHO below, use a shampoo for Oily hair.  Occasionally I use a dandruff shampoo to stimulate my scalp (the tingle feels so good!), like Head and Shoulders or a stronger one I can only find it at Walgreens, Sebulux.

http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100865&navAction=jump&navCount=0&id=prod5267" rel="no follow - http://www.walgreens.com/store/product.jsp?CATID=100865&navAction=jump&navCount=0&id=prod5267

ALWAYS DEEP CONDITION EVERYTIME YOU WASH.

For healthy hair growth, get Wild Growth Hair Oil.  It has a strong (herbal) scent, but itís worth it.  I find that if I use a plastic pick to massage my scalp after application my hair seems to respond better.  The first time I used it my hair CHANGED.  It resisted breakage, was shiner, and was instantly straighter.  The website seems like the claims are exaggerated, but after using the product, I believe it's all true.  I started using it in October of last year and I have 3 inches of growth my hair was just past my ears and now itís at my shoulders.  This growth is after two trims with my touch ups.  I am able to go 12 weeks between touch ups and wish I had found this stuff prior to relaxing my natural.  I believe I would have been able to maintain my hair with just the oil. I was so impressed that I bought some for my friends and family at the holidays.  You can get it for $7.99 at Sally's Beauty.  It's cheaper at Sally's than on the web site.  It's good as a product to protect your hair when using heat appliances as well.

http://www.wildgrowth.com/" rel="no follow - www.wildgrowth.com

GOOD STYLER

I LOVE Motions Weightless Hairdress.  It's clear, no buildup, great for kids and adults and adds healthy moister to your hair, which stops breakage.  It's like the new version of what we go to pink lotion for.

On that note, I use the following products to deep condition and stimulate my scalp.

My hairdresser uses the following product as a deep conditioner and a leave in when she roller sets my hair.  You can only get it on the web or through distributors.  It gives me a wet set better than setting lotion or any other product I have tried.

ALTER EGO ENERGIZING AND REBALANCING CREAM

http://ibeautyny.com/goods_detail.asp?goodsIdx=2144" rel="no follow - http://ibeautyny.com/goods_detail.asp?goodsIdx=2144

When I deep condition I use Rosemary Oil extract on my scalp from the health food store.  The clerk indicated that Rosemary stimulates scalp and hair growth.  Itís in a lot of herbal and high end products too.  NOTE, this stuff smells really strong, so go lightly the first time you use it (sometimes I add some to my Wild Growth Oil, or use it alone for tingly scalp massage). 

I also recommend Motions Moisture Plus Conditioner as a deep conditioner.  I don't think it's as versitle as the Alter Ego, which you can use it as a deep conditioner and a leave in.  I feel like I am getting more for my money, and I get the hair my hairdresser creates :)

Here is a great website for ladies who wash and roller set their own hair.  I find the hair care tips are really good, in addition to the instructions on how to roller set.  I follow the same guide, with the exception of the direction I roll my hair (understand that this is only if you are going to wrap it with a scarf before wearing it to let it lay flat).  I roll my hair towards my face, not my back.  I find that this gives my wrap a lot more body and curl. 

http://www.geocities.com/qreusgurl/EssentiallyMe.html" rel="no follow - http://www.geocities.com/qreusgurl/EssentiallyMe.html

RESTRUCTORING TREATMENT

There is a good restructoring product.  My hairdresser says don't use it more than every 3 months because it builds your hair up so much that it can get brittle and dry.  You have to keep moisterizing your hair after you use it, but it makes your hair really strong....a bottle of the above will last me a year ($19.99), and my hair is shoulder leng

http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1215/670510" rel="no follow - http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1215/670510

they recommend you use this with it to get your hair back to a healthy ph level...

http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1215/670505" rel="no follow - http://www.sallybeauty.com/shop/1215/670505

I would like to add that I am using Dr. Miracles Gro Oil (for about a month, I got it at Sally's) and it helps with dry scalp, growth and keeping my hair and new growth strait without appliacances.  Also, I don't roll my hair in the same way I listed in the post.  Now, I roll it in a style.  Another change is that I use the Dr. Mircale as a styling product and found that the Just for Me shine spray is good for me because it's lighter than othe shine spray and doesn't break out my skin.   My hairdresser uses Dudley's light relaxer for 15 minutes (and I watch this like a hawk).  This allows me to wear 'curly' or strait hair.  If I want it straiter, she can always get it there, but once it's overprocessed, you can't go back.  So, I like to have her go as light as possible with the relaxer.  I haven't looked at the hair types yet, but I think I have average hair.  I think my hair would be 4/4a.  When I get close to needing a touch up (8 - 12 wks) I also go to the local beauty school for a wash & set, which costs about $10.  This prevents my own frustration when rolling it, as the new growth is harder to control and have to reroll and pull out more hair than I would like.  When my hair is at optimal health, I will return to my old ways.  I wash my hair, wrap it wet, scarf it, and sleep overnight.  Then I can flat iron it in the morning.  I only use the flat iron at this time or to smooth my new growth, with clean hair.  My flat iron goes to 20 and I never go above 3, which protects my hair.  If it isn't bone strait, I just use the wild growth or the Dr. Miracle.  I will NOT burn my hair just to get it strait.

Reading another post made me remember, I also use a caruso steam hairsetter.  I know we think moister is our enemy, but I you use the wild growth or the Dr. Miracle, and the steam does not 'frizz/shrivel' my hair.

Thanks,

T

http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=25493" rel="no follow - http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=25493

Posted By: catredtip
Date Posted: Sep 28 2006 at 5:00pm
can I find V05 at walmart

Posted By: sweet_ambrosia
Date Posted: Sep 28 2006 at 5:42pm
Originally posted by catredtip catredtip wrote:

can I find V05 at walmart

Yep.

Posted By: wavylady
Date Posted: Sep 28 2006 at 5:48pm
As a newbie to this board (but a lurker in the past) I have a comment..
I think that the quality of the conditioner is important too.  I see alot of people use like VO5 or something inexpensive but my hair didn't feel soft after I used the Suave coconut (my choice) after the first 2x I co-washed. 
So I started using a deep conditioner with no heat and just rinse it out and count that as my co-wash, so I use a good conditioner everytime.
I wanted to ask if anyone else has tried or does this too???
It made sense to use an inexpensive one since I was just washing it down the drain but my hair didn't think so.

Posted By: wonderstar
Date Posted: Sep 28 2006 at 6:42pm
You said you see alot of us using VO5 and then you used suave. Just because suave didn't do the job doesn't mean VO5 can't. Their both cheap but there's a reason why so many of us love V05 give it a shot. I personally can't afford to buy expensive products for cowash.

Posted By: wavylady
Date Posted: Sep 28 2006 at 7:55pm
Your hair is way past mine so I may take your advice!Embarrassed  Do your thing!Wink You are right that I have not tried VO5 and maybe I will..I heard strawberries and cream was nice.  I hope no one was offended if they use either.
I was just saying that if some people hadn't gotten good results with their co wash then maybe it is the quality of the conditioner, as in my case.  I also bought a huge bottle of Aura Rosemary and mint conditioner on sale at Sally's for $3.99 so it was reasonable.  There are good sales out there so that's how I roll with that.  Good Point

Posted By: Champagne_Wishe
Date Posted: Oct 01 2006 at 6:35am
Sign me up for conditioner washes.  Just tried it a couple of days ago and my hair feels normal.  Before my hair was just so dry and breaking.  Now my hair is stronger.

Posted By: Moodyma'am
Date Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 1:45pm

I have a question!Big smile

I'm new to co-washing and I'm on a moisture mission after checking the hair breakage 101.  I've been loading my hair up with protein for a long time (cos i didnt know what i was doin).

anyway, somebody earlier on in this thread mentioned something about avoiding -cones.  I'm finding it almost impossible to find any cone-free products but again I am a beginner. 

I've just found a cheap conditioner that's worked really well for co-washing & leaves my hair feeling soft, smooth and moisturised but its got -cones in.  I follow up with S-curl which i apply every night & seal with oil.

am i right in thinking I probably need to clarify more than once a month?

TIABig smile

Date Posted: Oct 03 2006 at 2:21pm
Originally posted by Moodyma'am Moodyma'am wrote:

I'm new to co-washing and I'm on a moisture mission after checking the hair breakage 101.  I've been loading my hair up with protein for a long time (cos i didnt know what i was doin).

anyway, somebody earlier on in this thread mentioned something about avoiding -cones.  I'm finding it almost impossible to find any cone-free products but again I am a beginner. 

I've just found a cheap conditioner that's worked really well for co-washing & leaves my hair feeling soft, smooth and moisturised but its got -cones in.  I follow up with S-curl which i apply every night & seal with oil.

TIABig smile

All cones are not bad for all people. I use cones everyday and can go 2 weeks without clarifying (even though I rarely do).

Date Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 9:45am
Originally posted by Moodyma'am Moodyma'am wrote:

TIABig smile

I agree with B_Phlyy.  'Cones aren't that bad for everybody.  Some peoples feels luxurious with 'cones and some don't.  The only products in which you won't find 'cones is those organic or natural hair products.  The running favorite is Aubrey Organics and a close second it JASON.  I don't know what is popping in the UK but I am sure they have their own line which is similar to what we have in the stateside.

Date Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 9:46am
BTW don't rush out purchasing this or that just because it was mentioned.  Just find what works and if you feel that silicones are making your hair "off" then gradually make that transistion.  Good luck.

Posted By: Claudie
Date Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 10:00am
Originally posted by Champagne_Wishe Champagne_Wishe wrote:

BTW don't rush out purchasing this or that just because it was mentioned.  Just find what works and if you feel that silicones are making your hair "off" then gradually make that transistion.  Good luck.

Cosigning with Champagne.

I am now co-washing three times per week, and for me it is better.  I have seen results, my hair growth is going great.

Posted By: Moodyma'am
Date Posted: Oct 04 2006 at 12:42pm
Thank you B Phlyy, Champagne & Claudie Big smileBig smileBig smile

I'm very happy with my co-wash (tresemme moisture rich vitamin e).  Made my hair feel the best it has in a long time, so I'll stick with it.

kinda got my fingers burnt with the impulse buying of products. recovering from a bad reaction to CON Nourishing conditioner.  have had to clarify & ORS replenshing to rectify (somewhat) Ermm  But, i hear good things about Aubrey Organics & thankfully it IS available here.  I'll take it slow like you said cos i'm still learning.

thanks again ladies!

editing to say.  gonna start on the fornightly clarifying cos I think I've been feeling build up.

Posted By: WorkInProgress
Date Posted: Oct 06 2006 at 9:47pm
winn-dixie has a sale on VO5. ONE dollar each!!!

Posted By: simplyred
Date Posted: Mar 11 2007 at 11:24pm
Bump???

Posted By: beebellkel
Date Posted: Mar 12 2007 at 8:20pm
VO5 is 99ct at CVS

Posted By: deejonnay
Date Posted: Mar 13 2007 at 8:42am
I love co-washing with Aussie Moist (old one-purple and white bottle) and castor and tea tree oil! Love it. My hair has thickened up a lot. I do it 2-3x week

Date Posted: Mar 13 2007 at 2:48pm
Originally posted by deejonnay deejonnay wrote:

I love co-washing with Aussie Moist (old one-purple and white bottle) and castor and tea tree oil! Love it. My hair has thickened up a lot. I do it 2-3x week

yea I gotttta get that castpr oil fast..I cant find it Cry..cuz my hair is begging for it.lool..and that tea tree oil 2.

Posted By: xoflirtyfunox
Date Posted: Mar 13 2007 at 3:54pm

how do you get the hair smooth with the no heat styles? mine always end up frizzy!

Date Posted: Mar 13 2007 at 4:00pm
Originally posted by xoflirtyfunox xoflirtyfunox wrote:

how do you get the hair smooth with the no heat styles? mine always end up frizzy!

well i only did the co-wash twice..the first time it was frizzy so the secong time I put the ORS replenshing pak on and let it sit for bout and hr..rinsed and air dry and mine were fine..so people rollerset

Date Posted: Mar 13 2007 at 8:45pm
Originally posted by beebellkel beebellkel wrote:

yea I gotttta get that castpr oil fast..I cant find it Cry..cuz my hair is begging for it.lool..and that tea tree oil 2.

try walgreens or cvs or a local store

Posted By: NinaRose
Date Posted: Mar 14 2007 at 5:50am
Originally posted by beebellkel beebellkel wrote:

You can find both castor oil and tea tree oil at Walmart.  That's where I get mine.

Posted By: lovelybrown
Date Posted: Mar 15 2007 at 6:27am
I have a question for you ladies cowashing more than a couple of times a week. Do you use heat to dry your hairQuestion

Oh, if you can't find castor oil in a store you local pharmacy should have it. It's the only olace I can buy it here (in Spain for a few months) and it's unrefined and cheap.

Date Posted: Mar 15 2007 at 10:25am
I airdry my hair in a low ponytail

Posted By: NaturalBbeauti
Date Posted: Jun 16 2007 at 3:15pm
Thanks for that post Chai! Im new here so thanks for the advice I will definately try it out on my hair, after am done using all my other hair products LOL

Posted By: mswavy
Date Posted: Jun 18 2007 at 11:27am
I love co-washing - I do it at least 3x a week I wash and deep condition once a week.  I usually air dry and bun or rollerset after cowashing.  I have noticed increased growth from it also.

Posted By: Drea1974
Date Posted: Jun 19 2007 at 11:29pm
I wanted to add for the newbies : after the cowash and during the rinse out try lowering the temp of the water gradually to as cold as you can tolerate. This will lock in what you haven't washed out all the way and keep the hair moist. I have been doing this for years even when I had my hair crack relaxer in and I still do it to this day. I even cold rinse the conditioner out of my 10 yr olds natural tresses. She says it feels good after having the heat from the water in her head.Tongue

Posted By: mstoini
Date Posted: Jun 20 2007 at 10:08am
cowashing is the best thing I've learned from this board because it also helps control my dandruff since I cowash once per week and shampoo/deep condition once per week.

HOWEVER, V05, suave, motions, and dove conditioners leave my hair drier than before I cowash so I am one of the unfortunate ones who has to use an expensive conditioner to get that soft feel to my hair.  i find that ORS and mizani conditoiners work wonders on my hair whether I use them for a cowash or as the deep conditioner.

I'm 4a/4b hair type and I don't know if that has anything to do with it.

Posted By: Geminigirl
Date Posted: Jun 20 2007 at 1:25pm
I got my hair relaxed on Sat and it is now WED. Is it safe for me to co -wash so early?

Posted By: mstoini
Date Posted: Jun 20 2007 at 1:26pm
Originally posted by Geminigirl Geminigirl wrote:

I got my hair relaxed on Sat and it is now WED. Is it safe for me to co -wash so early?

Right after a relaxer, I've found it better to bypass it that week and wait until the next week but it really depends on your hair.

Posted By: Geminigirl
Date Posted: Jun 20 2007 at 1:38pm
Ok I guess I will wait but I am just so excited. I got loose twist up top with a ponytail and they look terrible now and so I wanted to wash them out and just try a diffrent style with the protective ponytail. My hair is damaged so I thought some conditioning would help.

Posted By: ndavis
Date Posted: Jun 22 2007 at 5:31pm
Just bumping this up for my fellow newbies Star

Posted By: Omarion`
Date Posted: Jun 22 2007 at 11:52pm
I love co-washing, did that today actually. Im gonna begin co-washing every other day...will be using cheap conditioners of course

Posted By: Shacoya
Date Posted: Jun 23 2007 at 12:34am
ClapBig%20smileomg ty sooo much 4 this post !!! i have read so many threads and i would always leave with even more questions because people talk about co wash but never really go into details i have been wanting to try it now i have the info i need to make it happen there should be threads like this about the other things also yanno the pre poo or whatever it is called and roller sets......ps can you mix other things with the conditioner and how long can the conditioner stay in the hair?

Posted By: maggyj
Date Posted: Jun 23 2007 at 3:57pm

Normally when I shampoo and condition my hair my conditiner sets for a little bit in my hair most times for 30 or more minutes. Do I leave my conditioner in for that amount of time when doing a co-wash or I rinse it right out as if it were shampoo? And what is a good protein-conditioner to use?

Posted By: prettichicDFW
Date Posted: Jun 24 2007 at 1:37pm
Yes, I too learned that I couldn't co-wash with "cheap" conditioners.  They left my hair tangled and dry. Mizani Moisturefuse is great!Star

Posted By: LadySmiles
Date Posted: Jun 24 2007 at 2:50pm
I plan to co wash frequently since its summer.. I'll save a ton of shampoo too

Posted By: sexymeek7902
Date Posted: Jun 25 2007 at 1:32pm

CO Washing helped me strecth to 16 weeks. Either every other day

or every 2-3 days

Print Page | Close Window