Forum Name: Natural Hair Care
Forum Description: General Discussions on Natural Hair Care
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=255962
Printed Date: Jul 16 2018 at 1:59pm

Topic: Naturals with bangs
Posted By: chrissypoo
Subject: Naturals with bangs
Date Posted: Apr 27 2010 at 10:37pm
I'm really starting to consider getting some side bangs. I'm wondering if this would be a good idea since my hair is naturally tightly curled and I avoid heat so would I just end up lookin like a poodle with bangs? Do those with bangs find it hard to to pull your hair back. And if it is a good idea do you guys think it would look okay with my round face shape?

I'm thinking of something around this length except of course it'll be curly

Please be honest I'm only considering it but I have some doubts!

Replies:
Posted By: AllyOrNotAlly
Date Posted: Apr 27 2010 at 10:56pm
I have bangs...sorta. They were by accident. I left one said of my hair in the front longer than the other so I use it as bangs to hide it sometimes. I'm not ashamed of my uneven hair though XD

That's my hair about a month ago...iunno if you can see the bang that well.

that's a more recent pic of my bangs with gel on em.

I think it depends on how you style your bangs when it comes to whether you'll look like a poodle or not.

Posted By: natosha99
Date Posted: Apr 27 2010 at 11:10pm
I just posted my bangs in the post your fro section, but i'll do it again...

but the top of my head has fine, loose hair, and the rest of my head is coarse and wavy. I like my bangs. I don't know if you can really compare that picture of Nicole Richie to AA hair, tho....

Posted By: nikietc
Date Posted: Apr 27 2010 at 11:55pm
I have had bangs for 17, yes 17, years. I've had every type of bang: Chinese bangs, super long bangs going forward, bangs parted all the way back at the crown of my head, bangs parted down the middle making two side bangs, errrything!

however, right now I am trying to grow them out. for me, they're more trouble than they're worth. actually, at the length they are now (more like a long side swept bang at this point...kinda what you're looking for) they are more bearable, but I'm over them.

How does your hair act to humidity? if it goes crazy, then bangs may not be for you. your bangs will stick straight up and no amount of prayer/hair dance/hair ceremony will help. do you get hot easily? extra hair on your face will only make it worse. do you use a lot of products on your hair? your products will rub off on your face and make your face shiny and possibly break out. do you think you'll get tired of them and want to pull them back? arm yourself with lots of gel and bobby pins. is your hair strong near the hairline? it has to be to deal with the new manipulation.

They're heat damaged now (a result of trying desperately to get them to look right at all those awkward stages), so I don't think a current picture of them would do you any good unless you still wanna see what they look like. Here's a (bad) picture of them 8 or 9 years ago fighting humidity (I wore rollers at night to get the curl):
*poof*
my face is roundish/squarish, so maybe you can get an idea of what they'd look like on you.

I'm not trying to discourage you from bangs, because I begged my mom for them and wore them proudly for years, but these are just some things to think about. I know I wish I would've thought about the awkward grow out phase when I was 8 years old and handed her the sissors! LOL

Posted By: gabelle
Date Posted: Apr 28 2010 at 4:11am
I say go for it, tho I'm biased cause I'm addicted to bangs thanks to my forehead but ever since my BC they've been nonexistent. Now that I'm starting to get length and see growth they're making a comeback and I'm oh so excited to see them again, lol

Date Posted: Apr 28 2010 at 3:14pm
Originally posted by AllyOrNotAlly AllyOrNotAlly wrote:

I have bangs...sorta. They were by accident. I left one said of my hair in the front longer than the other so I use it as bangs to hide it sometimes. I'm not ashamed of my uneven hair though XD

That's my hair about a month ago...iunno if you can see the bang that well.

that's a more recent pic of my bangs with gel on em.

I think it depends on how you style your bangs when it comes to whether you'll look like a poodle or not.

Aww cute pics lol and curly hair can totally get away with uneven-ness anyways

Date Posted: Apr 28 2010 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by natosha99 natosha99 wrote:

I just posted my bangs in the post your fro section, but i'll do it again...

but the top of my head has fine, loose hair, and the rest of my head is coarse and wavy. I like my bangs. I don't know if you can really compare that picture of Nicole Richie to AA hair, tho....

Nice pic, it's just like me my hair is also looser on top and in the front. Yea I know, I was just showing the length I'm thinking of if not longer since my hair is curly.

Date Posted: Apr 28 2010 at 3:22pm
Originally posted by nikietc nikietc wrote:

I have had bangs for 17, yes 17, years. I've had every type of bang: Chinese bangs, super long bangs going forward, bangs parted all the way back at the crown of my head, bangs parted down the middle making two side bangs, errrything!

however, right now I am trying to grow them out. for me, they're more trouble than they're worth. actually, at the length they are now (more like a long side swept bang at this point...kinda what you're looking for) they are more bearable, but I'm over them.

How does your hair act to humidity? if it goes crazy, then bangs may not be for you. your bangs will stick straight up and no amount of prayer/hair dance/hair ceremony will help. do you get hot easily? extra hair on your face will only make it worse. do you use a lot of products on your hair? your products will rub off on your face and make your face shiny and possibly break out. do you think you'll get tired of them and want to pull them back? arm yourself with lots of gel and bobby pins. is your hair strong near the hairline? it has to be to deal with the new manipulation.

They're heat damaged now (a result of trying desperately to get them to look right at all those awkward stages), so I don't think a current picture of them would do you any good unless you still wanna see what they look like. Here's a (bad) picture of them 8 or 9 years ago fighting humidity (I wore rollers at night to get the curl):

my face is roundish/squarish, so maybe you can get an idea of what they'd look like on you.

I'm not trying to discourage you from bangs, because I begged my mom for them and wore them proudly for years, but these are just some things to think about. I know I wish I would've thought about the awkward grow out phase when I was 8 years old and handed her the sissors! LOL

Lol thanks for the pics and honest opinion looks like you know quite a bit about bangs lol! Those are the exact same things I doubt about except my hair will lay down if there's product in it and i stretch it. Lol I also got my bangs cut when i was younger and it started to get really annoying and found myself pulling it back so I guess it may not be a good idea for me. Also I often wear my hair up and I only liked my bangs when my hair was down but ugh when I see them they look so nice. I'm not willing to straighten it all the time though!

Date Posted: Apr 28 2010 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by gabelle gabelle wrote:

I say go for it, tho I'm biased cause I'm addicted to bangs thanks to my forehead but ever since my BC they've been nonexistent. Now that I'm starting to get length and see growth they're making a comeback and I'm oh so excited to see them again, lol

Lol thanks I'm thinking about it it might just be awkward for me with curly hair. I love how they look though!

Date Posted: Apr 28 2010 at 4:16pm
Awwww thanks ^^ My hair definitely gets away with it since I can just pat down the longer part and make it into a shape-ish fro.

Posted By: hall367
Date Posted: Apr 28 2010 at 4:31pm

my bangs :) I love them because I have a big forhead. i don't find it hard to pull my hair back in a puff. I don't think it's going to look anything like that above picture... how will curly hair look if cut like that?

Posted By: hall367
Date Posted: Apr 28 2010 at 4:31pm
omg sorry thats so huge lol

Date Posted: Apr 28 2010 at 5:04pm
Aww that's pretty I'm guessing it would look something like this

Date Posted: Apr 28 2010 at 5:07pm
Originally posted by AllyOrNotAlly AllyOrNotAlly wrote:

Awwww thanks ^^ My hair definitely gets away with it since I can just pat down the longer part and make it into a shape-ish fro.

Exactly lol or if i have a section of hair that's uneven with the rest I just take some water n scrunch the section n it shrinks up lol xD

Posted By: MissCassC
Date Posted: Apr 28 2010 at 5:10pm
I've actually been thinking about cutting some bangs like hall's bangs.  I figure I can pin them back or to the side with bobby pins if I don't want them in my face.

Date Posted: Apr 28 2010 at 5:12pm
... Or this

LOLj.k

Posted By: MissCassC
Date Posted: Apr 28 2010 at 5:35pm
^The Rick James is what I'm most afraid of...

Posted By: Im_A_Diva
Date Posted: Apr 28 2010 at 7:27pm
LOL If you do decide to wear bangs post pics!Heart

Posted By: Napp
Date Posted: Apr 28 2010 at 7:30pm
it may be unpopular but it think curly bangs are fugg no matter what.

Date Posted: Apr 28 2010 at 7:53pm
Is fugg like a way to say fugly?

Posted By: Lilnicka4u2nv
Date Posted: Apr 28 2010 at 8:03pm
I had a bad episode with curly bangs thank gewdness they grew back....

Posted By: krisviola1
Date Posted: Apr 28 2010 at 8:27pm
chrissypoo, that picture is really cute.  I wouldn't mind having something like that once I get some length

Date Posted: Apr 28 2010 at 8:46pm
Originally posted by MissCassC MissCassC wrote:

^The Rick James is what I'm most afraid of...

LMAO he does have some pretty curls in that pic tho!

Date Posted: Apr 28 2010 at 8:47pm
Thanks for the input guys I'll post pics if I decide to but I'm still too skeptical right now to commit to bangs lol

Posted By: Ritle
Date Posted: Apr 29 2010 at 8:12am
You can always pin down the sidebang or tuck it behind your ear , that's what I do if I'm in a sidebang mood and I want to make sure it stays put.

As for regular bangs, they can be very cute too.

I just realised... I often wear bangs since I've been able to do so without having to add extra product to stretch the length or whatever, but yet only have one set of pics with them.

Like this one:

Oh wait..found loose sidebangs too:

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 1:07am
I guess I have an oval face shape and I finally decided that it is time to try to have bangs.
I am debating either going to one of the two hairdressers I have met in the past 7 years or finding a new hairstylist.
My hair is not straight, I am not sure my hair type, every poster I see for hair types shows a different hair for a different type, but I guess my hair is 2b? dunno. My bangs will probably be kinda of wavy, and I want those thick bangs that look like this

but on bad days it might look something like the one below, without being uneven.

I am afraid I might have to flat iron my bangs often to keep them in check. I am also afraid it might be a bad idea. Maybe I will wait for my hair to grow longer before I do this.

Date Posted: Jan 26 2014 at 5:00pm
I saw some videos of how to do your own bangs, so after washing my hair, I separated it as if getting ready to give myself some Chinese bangs, and now I am waiting for my hair to dry to see how it would look like if I really got bangs.

Posted By: MeLLDiva
Date Posted: Jan 27 2014 at 11:47pm
I know everyone probably hates (spam) so do i! but i wanted to get my name out there. Check out my video, I have never cut bangs while being natural but the style i am wearing in my video on YT is a way of creating bangs (side swept, or over the forehead). My next video will be a tutorial on this style, and you may find it beneficial to watch because with this style, bangs can easily be done. :)  http://youtu.be/TRjn4EPcPTQ - http://youtu.be/TRjn4EPcPTQ

Hey Everyone,

I've just recently created a YT channel. My name is ITS|MELODY on YT. I've just posted a video showcasing my makeup, as well as my go to hairstyle! I hope to be able to share with the natural hair care community and the makeup community what I love to do. More importantly I created this channel because I wanted to add to the already established CONFIDENT naturals/black hair care community (and even those who may not be there yet in their hair journey!).  I want to be able to encourage naturals and ALL black women to feel beautiful in their skin, and to be proud of how they are! So please check me out, my next video will be a tutorial on the already featured look!

The video is called:

Natural Hair twist out and MOTD (Makeup of the day) 

Channel Name: ITS|MELODY

Date Posted: Feb 11 2014 at 3:29pm
I will let my hair grow longer, once it passes waist length, I will revisit this idea...

Posted By: AriesBabe09
Date Posted: Feb 12 2014 at 2:24pm
I'm thinking the key to having a bangs is first not cutting it too short so when it shrinks it won't stick straight out, or up in the air. I like the idea of a side bangs that can be tucked behind the ears if needed.
That Rick James look is the reason I haven't cut a bangs yet LOL

Print Page | Close Window