Print Page | Close Window

Lets Talk About Ceramides**More Info Added Pg 8**

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Hair Care
Forum Name: Hair Growth
Forum Description: Hair Growth issues, solutions, and discussions.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=237416
Printed Date: Jun 22 2018 at 8:50am

Topic: Lets Talk About Ceramides**More Info Added Pg 8**
Posted By: LadyCC
Subject: Lets Talk About Ceramides**More Info Added Pg 8**
Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 12:13pm
Okay, this is something that was shared with me a couple of years ago and it is why I use mainly Aphogee and dominican products even today.
I tried the ayurvedics at one point and even though they strengthened my hair it didn't feel or look the same.  So I went back to my tried and true Aphie and dominican. 

I've seen threads on the subject elsewhere and decided to bring it here
for discussion.  

Ceramides are beneficial to the hair because they help to fill in gaps within the hair cuticle.  Hydrolyzed keratin proteins and silk proteins penetrate the hair strand and repair from within.  We all know the benefits of moisture for the hair.

These ceramides seem to be even more beneficial to no-lye users as are chelating shampoos.  The shampoos remove calcium/mineral deposits and the ceramides fill in the gaps/bind the cuticles (outside of the hair strand).

Several dominican products (Miss Keys 10 en 1, Silicon Mix, etc) contain ceramides as do popular hair care lines such as Matrix, Redken, Garnier, Mizani, Nexxus, Joico and Loreal.  And yes, generic versions by Suave and Sally's GVP contain it too if the generic version mimics the ingredients.

I realize that each person's hair is different but I find that these products do give great results for me.  I am a lite tex-laxer with no-lye and I use products from all the above lines except Nexxus.  No particular reason as I have used them in the past its just I get what I need already from the other products I use.  And Nexxus is the line that actually has ceramides in pretty much every one of its products.

So what say you?  Whether your lye, no-lye or natural do you find that products that contain ceramides work well with your hair along with hydrolyzed keratin/silk proteins and moisture?

Replies:
Posted By: flwonline
Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 1:39pm
I'm a die hard Silicon Mix-er. I didn't know anything about cerimides but that conditioner is the best one so far for my hair. Unless something better comes along, I'm sticking with it.

I do put EVOO or JBCO on my hair before I do the Silicon Mix....you can hear the angels when I wash it out! LOL

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 2:02pm
Originally posted by flwonline flwonline wrote:

I'm a die hard Silicon Mix-er. I didn't know anything about cerimides but that conditioner is the best one so far for my hair. Unless something better comes along, I'm sticking with it.

I do put EVOO or JBCO on my hair before I do the Silicon Mix....you can hear the angels when I wash it out! LOL

LOL @ you can hear the angels when I wash it out!

I add EVOO to all my deep conditioners.  Your right about Silicon Mix - I love it!  And the leave is very good!  Its one of my top 3!

Sometimes its more to these products be it shampoo, conditioner or leave in that we may have not known about before that favors our particular hair.  I'm just throwing something out there that works for me and that coincides with my other hair care knowledge. Smile

Posted By: *Addicted2Hair*
Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 2:05pm
I LOVE CERAMIDES!!! thats why I use nothing but nexxus products..like therappe and humectress and etc :)

Posted By: pattigurlatl
Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 2:11pm
This study explains the benefits to ceramides on AA hair.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/120096708/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0" rel="no follow - http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/120096708/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

ABSTRACT

Repetitive hair-relaxing treatments often applied to African–American hair weaken the hair structure. Therefore hair breakage is a common feature of African–American hair and an important cause of hair loss. Recently, by analysing the lipids extracted from human hair, a fraction of free-ceramide was isolated in which sphinganine was predominant. This study shows that this sphinganine-derived ceramide (i.e. C18-dhCer) binds to African–American hair and protects it from weakening caused by chemicals. To show this binding, we used two methods: radioactivity detection with a microimagerTM and secondary ion mass spectrometry.

We evaluated the benefits of C18-dhCer on African–American hair fibre, relaxed by guanidine hydroxide, using a new method called the Break'in Brush Technique (BBT®). This method determines the hair breakage resistance during a brushing. Using this technique, we have shown less breakage when applying a shampoo with ceramide.

The present study opens new prospects for the development of products able to increase the protection, provide better care and meet the needs of African–American hair thanks to the effect of ceramide binding.

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 2:25pm
Here are just a few products that contain ceramides:

Sedal Products (dominican Sunsilk)

Crece Pelo Leave-In
Silicon Mix Proteina de Perla (Pearl Protein)

Leave-In Silicon Mix conditioner  
Silicon Mix  Leave in 

Miss key 10 en 1 conditioner
BPT Wheat Germ Conditioner 
Salerm Wheat Germ Conditioner 
Kan Kanechomn Ceramide Deep Conditioning Creme
La Plancha Deep Heat Reconstructor Treatment

Razac Perfect For Perms Oil

Mizani Therma Smooth

Matrix Biolage Fortifying conditioner  
Matrix Biolage Cera-Repair Hydratherapie

Matrix biolage thermal active  repair cream

Matrix Sleek Look Extra Intense Conditioner 

Redken Extreme Anti-Snap
Redkin Extreme Shampoo

Garnier Fructis Instant Melting Strength and Repair Masque

Garnier Strength and Repair Shampoo

Nexxus Therappe
Nexxus Humectress
Nexxus Keraphix
nexxus headdress
Nexxus Aloe Rid
Nexxus Botanoil shampoo

Joico K Pac Recon

Softsheen carson breakthru anti breakage -ceramide - protecting foam
Softsheen carson breakthru anti breakage -ceramide - Fortifying moisturing shampoo

Skala ceramide 3 conditioner (Brazilian)

Taliah Waajid Enhancing Herbal Conditioner

Loreal Serle Expert Liss Starter Ionene G + Ceramide Pre-Smoothing Treatment
Loreal Bio-ceramide complex conditioner
Loreal Everstrong Overnight Repair Treatment (Leave-in)
Loreal Pro Vive Conditoning Treatment

Lustrasilk Cholesterol Shea Butter & Mango

Optimum Care Anti Breakage Therapy Conditioner

Aphogee Intensive 2 Minute Reconstructor

Aphogee Fatty Acid Essential Oils (old version)

Keracare Essential oils

AO white camellia conditioners

Loreal nature's therapys

Yes to Cucumbers daily makeover conditioner

EverStrong Overnight Repair treatment

Renpure organics amazing miracle reconstructor

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 2:28pm
Originally posted by *Addicted2Hair* *Addicted2Hair* wrote:

I LOVE CERAMIDES!!! thats why I use nothing but nexxus products..like therappe and humectress and etc :)

Nexxus is an excellent line. 

Addicted, are you lye, no-lye or natural?

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 2:30pm
Originally posted by pattigurlatl pattigurlatl wrote:

This study explains the benefits to ceramides on AA hair.

http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/120096708/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0" rel="no follow - http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/120096708/abstract?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

ABSTRACT

Repetitive hair-relaxing treatments often applied to African–American hair weaken the hair structure. Therefore hair breakage is a common feature of African–American hair and an important cause of hair loss. Recently, by analysing the lipids extracted from human hair, a fraction of free-ceramide was isolated in which sphinganine was predominant. This study shows that this sphinganine-derived ceramide (i.e. C18-dhCer) binds to African–American hair and protects it from weakening caused by chemicals. To show this binding, we used two methods: radioactivity detection with a microimagerTM and secondary ion mass spectrometry.

We evaluated the benefits of C18-dhCer on African–American hair fibre, relaxed by guanidine hydroxide, using a new method called the Break'in Brush Technique (BBT®). This method determines the hair breakage resistance during a brushing. Using this technique, we have shown less breakage when applying a shampoo with ceramide.

The present study opens new prospects for the development of products able to increase the protection, provide better care and meet the needs of African–American hair thanks to the effect of ceramide binding.

Thanks Pattigurlatl!!  

I have seen these same studies.  I'm hoping to prove it by finding what ladies on BHM are using.  They may not even realize why certain products work so well for them. Smile

Posted By: yaya24
Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 2:42pm

Thanks for starting this thread Lady CC Thumbs%20Up

Does anyone know how beneficial ceramides are to natural hair?

About a month ago I purchased:

Vanart Expert Bio Ceramids Conditioner to cowash my lose fro.

I also had a field day with my last product haul.. and  purchased:

2 bottles of Softsheen carson breakthru anti breakage patented ceramide technology heat style protecting foam
2 bottles of Softsheen carson breakthru anti breakage patented ceramide technology Fortifying moisturing shampoo

I read on LHCF that it is a good idea to clarify if using products with ceramides

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by yaya24 yaya24 wrote:

Thanks for starting this thread Lady CC Thumbs%20Up

Does anyone know how beneficial ceramides are to natural hair?

About a month ago I purchased:

Vanart Expert Bio Ceramids Conditioner to cowash my lose fro.

I also had a field day with my last product haul.. and  purchased:

2 bottles of Softsheen carson breakthru anti breakage patented ceramide technology heat style protecting foam
2 bottles of Softsheen carson breakthru anti breakage patented ceramide technology Fortifying moisturing shampoo

I read on LHCF that it is a good idea to clarify if using products with ceramides

Your welcome! Smile

The benefits are exactly what I'm hoping to find out and/or prove. 

I would think it would benefit all hair, natural or not, just based on what it does.  Clarifying or clarifying/chelatting for no-lye users removes any buildup from the hair strands so that the ceramides can fill in or rather rebuild the strand - if that makes sense.

Oh, and I forgot about those Softsheen Carson Breakthru products.  I couldn't remember every product so thanks for sharing.  I'll add it to the list. Thumbs%20Up  Too bad that great sulfate free shampoo was discontinued. Cry 

Posted By: Napp
Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 2:49pm
i have been usin silicon mix with heat and it has been wonderful on my hair. i also plan on getting the silicon mix protien de pearla. does that have ceramides too?

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 2:50pm
Thanks Lady CC!!!

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 2:54pm
Originally posted by Napp Napp wrote:

i have been usin silicon mix with heat and it has been wonderful on my hair. i also plan on getting the silicon mix protien de pearla. does that have ceramides too?

The Silicon Mix Pearl conditioner doesn't but the Silicon Mix Pearl leave in does!  I use both the regular Silicon Mix and the Silicon Mix Pearl and I love them both!  The Silicon Mix Pearl has more protein than the regular.

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 3:00pm

Thanks Lady CC!!!

No problem!

Thinking about it further, the findings in Pattigurlatl's post mentioned damage done by chemicals, however, I'm sure any hair damage benefits not just from chemical damage.  Our caucasion friends who use
Nexxus products don't all color or relax their hair and I'm sure they feel and see benefits from the products. 

Posted By: *Addicted2Hair*
Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 3:06pm
Originally posted by LadyCC LadyCC wrote:

No-Lye

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 3:09pm

No-Lye

Yep, you prove it too! Smile

Posted By: Nigerian queen
Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 3:53pm
wheatgerm oil is chuck full of Ceramides!

for you recovering PJs lol! so you can add it to your products!

Posted By: Tangie
Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 4:00pm
Well I just added Joico recon shampoo and conditioner to my regi so if I wasn't getting them before, I am now.

I'm going to do more research though. For all I know about hair, there is still so much I don't know or even understand.

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 4:06pm
More oils:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268981" rel="no follow - (from LHCF thread)

Wheat Germ Oil
Barley Malt Oil
Hemp Seed Oil
walnut oil
sunflower oil
kukui oil
Eucalyptus Extract

Posted By: slayfresh
Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 4:21pm
since i learned about them last year i've been on them. right now i'm alternating between nexxus keraphix and skala ceramide 3 conditioner. 

Posted By: montrese89
Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 4:38pm
This is very interesting...I think I'll look into some of those products. Thanks! :-)

Posted By: pinkrabbit
Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 5:37pm

I use Joico k-pak deep penetrating reconstructure and  another treatment called ex-ceramide ppt, but now I will use both more often.  And I also have wheat germ oil too, yeahhhh.

Posted By: productjunkie
Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 5:40pm
aww man I must try these products bcs I am a no lye girl as well.
so many products, so little time.

Posted By: Babydoll9163
Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 7:08pm
Whoa thanks for all this info ladies! I've heard so many great things about silicone mix but couldn't find it at my bss. Where do you ladies order it from?

Are we talking about SM's whole line or just their conditioners? Do you ladies get build up from these?

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 7:09pm
Ladies I found this on a site that explains a little more about ceramides:

What are Ceramides?

Ceramides are lipid molecules [lipids are non-water soluble compounds that are essential for cellular development.]  Ceramides naturally protect the skin from moisture loss.

What does that have to do with hair?

Well, the same thing that ceramides do for your skin.  They create a protective barrier around your hair to hold in moisture and protein, while simultaneously guarding your hair against the “bad things.”  [e.g.,  heat damage, u/v rays, chemical processes.]  They basically anchor protein to your hair and act as a shield around the hair shaft.

Under a microscope, hair that appears healthy has a smooth, flat cuticle without any gaps or holes.  Ceramides are also present on the cuticle.  Hair that appears damaged, may not only lifted cuticles, gaps and holes, ceramides will be missing.

How do you restore Ceramides in damaged hair?

Great news! Ceramides are found naturally in certain oils.

• Hemp seed oil
  • http://www.internatural-alternative-health.com/reference/ppglossary4_98.html" rel="no follow - Sunflower oil
  • Wheat Germ oil
  • http://www.sgbox.com/as550ml.html" rel="no follow - Eucalyptus extract

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 7:11pm
Originally posted by Nigerian queen Nigerian queen wrote:

Yep!  This is why I love my Wheat Germ dominican deep conditioners.

Posted By: Dakotablu
Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 7:23pm
Taaliah Waajid moisturizer has wheat germ oil in it. It keeps my hair so moist!!!!
I am thinking about the silicon mix. i remember this when I was younger. Is it a protein or moist DC?

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 7:29pm

More oils:
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268981" rel="no follow - (from LHCF thread)

Wheat Germ Oil
Barley Malt Oil
Hemp Seed Oil
walnut oil
sunflower oil
kukui oil
Eucalyptus Extract

Thanks Yaya!! Big%20smile

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by slayfresh slayfresh wrote:

since i learned about them last year i've been on them. right now i'm alternating between nexxus keraphix and skala ceramide 3 conditioner. 

Slay, do you find that ceramides work in conjunction with your protein and moisture as a balance for your hair's health?  

Let me add that skala ceramide 3 conditioner. Smile

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 7:39pm

I loved the Salerm Wheat Germ deep conditioner-it really worked well on my hair.  now I know why..  It is so hard going thru products and not repurchasing yet. I also miss my 12 en 1 condish.

I do have some Wheatgerm oil though.

ladycc I did post a picture of kanechomn ceramide line on the dc challenge thread.

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 7:43pm
Originally posted by productjunkie productjunkie wrote:

aww man I must try these products bcs I am a no lye girl as well.
so many products, so little time.

Hey PJ, for some reason I thought you used the Wheat Germ and Silicon Mix.

ETA:  I hadn't seen your recent post. Big%20smile

Oh, and that Star Bio Complex vial does the same thing - same concept Smile

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 7:47pm
I tried the silicon mix once and threw it back in the closet.
PJ guilt
i want the kanechom cermide line they have everything - shampoo, deep conditioner, rinse, leave in. 

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 7:51pm
Originally posted by Babydoll9163 Babydoll9163 wrote:

Whoa thanks for all this info ladies! I've heard so many great things about silicone mix but couldn't find it at my bss. Where do you ladies order it from?

Are we talking about SM's whole line or just their conditioners? Do you ladies get build up from these?

I've only checked the Silicom Mix conditioner and leave in and the Silicon Mix Pearl leave in as having ceramides.

I clarify 2x a month but not just because of buildup from all the various products including styling products but because it gives protein and therefore moisture something to cling too.  Clarifying improves ceramide benefits.

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 7:51pm
javascript:gogo%28%29" rel="no follow">Q%20&%20S%20Silicona%20Rinse%20Silicone%20Ceramide%20&%20Rice%2016oz
  javascript:gogo%28%29" rel="no follow">  

Q & S Silicona Rinse Silicone Ceramide & Rice 16oz

BRAND : http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/shopping/brand-231.html" rel="no follow - Q & S
      http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/shopping/brand-231.html" rel="no follow - - View All - Q & S Products

Model No. :
  UPC. : 643473103535
  Weight : 16oz/473ml
  Our Price : $4.49
  Package Type : Bottle         http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/member/send_info.php?itemCode=RTBM200207KX0119" rel="no follow">    send%20mail
  Qty. : < name="order_qty" size="3" maxlength="3" value="1" ="" ="text">  EA               
 Features & Specifications

A premium rinse made with Silicone, Ceramida and Rice Cereal, which provides the nutrients, moisturizers and balance that your hair needs. The Ceramida is a special element that repairs and protects your hair from the sun and the harsh heat generated by hair dryers.

※Directions: After rising the shampoo, apply the rinse and leave on for a few minutes. Massage gently, comb and rinse with plenty water.

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 7:52pm
javascript:gogo%28%29" rel="no follow">Q%20&%20S%20Silicona%20Treatment%20Silicone%20Ceramide%20&%20Rice%2016oz

Q & S Silicona Treatment Silicone Ceramide & Rice 16oz

BRAND : http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/shopping/brand-231.html" rel="no follow - Q & S
      http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/shopping/brand-231.html" rel="no follow - - View All - Q & S Products

Model No. :
  UPC. : 643473103559
  Weight : 16oz/473ml
  Our Price : $7.99
  Package Type : Jar         http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/member/send_info.php?itemCode=TJU4200207KU0124" rel="no follow">    send%20mail

A premium rinse made with Silicone, Ceramida and Rice Cereal, which provides the nutrients, moisturizers and balance that your hair needs. The Ceramida is a special element that repairs and protects your hair from the sun and the harsh heat generated by hair dryers.

※Directions: After rising the shampoo and before applying the rinse, apply the Conditioner and leave on for a few minutes. Massage gently, comb and rinse with plenty water.

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 7:53pm
Not sure how this is used...seems to be vials

javascript:gogo%28%29" rel="no follow">Loreal%20Professional%20Liss%20Starter%20Pre-Smoothing%20Protective%20Treatment

Loreal Professional Liss Starter Pre-Smoothing Protective Treatment

BRAND : http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/shopping/brand-462.html" rel="no follow - Loreal Professional
      http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/shopping/brand-462.html" rel="no follow - - View All - Loreal Professional Products

Model No. :
  UPC. : 3474630077492
  Weight : 15 X 0.4FL OZ / 15 X 12mL
  Our Price : $58.99
  Package Type : Box         http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/member/send_info.php?itemCode=AGDN150508KV1040" rel="no follow">    send%20mail
Loreal Serie Expert Liss Starter Ionene G + Ceramide Pre-Smoothing Protective Treatment contains 15 x 12ml vials (15 x 0.4fl oz)

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 7:56pm
Originally posted by Dakotablu Dakotablu wrote:

Taaliah Waajid moisturizer has wheat germ oil in it. It keeps my hair so moist!!!!
I am thinking about the silicon mix. i remember this when I was younger. Is it a protein or moist DC?

Wow, Taliah Waajid Enhancing Herbal Conditioner has Wheat Germ and Walnut in it.

Silicon Mix regular has protein and moisture.  The Silicon Mix Pearl is protein.

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 7:58pm

Wow, Taliah Waajid Enhancing Herbal Conditioner has Wheat Germ and Walnut in it.

Silicon Mix regular has protein and moisture.  The Silicon Mix Pearl is protein.

I love her products!!! Tongue

Posted By: Claudie
Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 7:59pm

More oils:

Wheat Germ Oil
Barley Malt Oil
Hemp Seed Oil
walnut oil
sunflower oil
kukui oil
Eucalyptus Extract

Yaya Thumbs%20Up

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 8:00pm

PJ guilt
i want the kanechom cermide line they have everything - shampoo, deep conditioner, rinse, leave in. 

Oooooo Ahhhhhh!  Pretty! Big%20smile  I saw that deep conditioner on Sickbay the other day.

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 8:00pm

What are Ceramides?

Ceramides are lipid molecules [lipids are non-water soluble compounds that are essential for cellular development.]  Ceramides naturally protect the skin from moisture loss.

Well, the same thing that ceramides do for your skin.  They create a protective barrier around your hair to hold in moisture and protein, while simultaneously guarding your hair against the “bad things.”  [e.g.,  heat damage, u/v rays, chemical processes.]  They basically anchor protein to your hair and act as a shield around the hair shaft.

Under a microscope, hair that appears healthy has a smooth, flat cuticle without any gaps or holes.  Ceramides are also present on the cuticle.  Hair that appears damaged, may not only lifted cuticles, gaps and holes, ceramides will be missing.

• Hemp seed oil
  • http://www.internatural-alternative-health.com/reference/ppglossary4_98.html" rel="no follow - Sunflower oil
  • Wheat Germ oil

LadyCC Thumbs%20Up

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 8:01pm
Originally posted by Claudie Claudie wrote:

More oils:

Wheat Germ Oil
Barley Malt Oil
Hemp Seed Oil
walnut oil
sunflower oil
kukui oil
Eucalyptus Extract

Yaya Thumbs%20Up

Hi Claudie! Big%20smile

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 8:05pm

Not sure how this is used...seems to be vials

javascript:gogo%28%29" rel="no follow">Loreal%20Professional%20Liss%20Starter%20Pre-Smoothing%20Protective%20Treatment

Loreal Professional Liss Starter Pre-Smoothing Protective Treatment

BRAND : http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/shopping/brand-462.html" rel="no follow - Loreal Professional
      http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/shopping/brand-462.html" rel="no follow - - View All - Loreal Professional Products

Model No. :
  UPC. : 3474630077492
  Weight : 15 X 0.4FL OZ / 15 X 12mL
  Our Price : $58.99
  Package Type : Box         http://www.beautyofnewyork.com/member/send_info.php?itemCode=AGDN150508KV1040" rel="no follow">    send%20mail
Loreal Serie Expert Liss Starter Ionene G + Ceramide Pre-Smoothing Protective Treatment contains 15 x 12ml vials (15 x 0.4fl oz)

Thanks for sharing this!!  I use a dominican product that is a vial and it also reconstructs and smooths tthe strand to promote shine.

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 8:06pm

Originally posted by Claudie Claudie wrote:

More oils:

Wheat Germ Oil
Barley Malt Oil
Hemp Seed Oil
walnut oil
sunflower oil
kukui oil
Eucalyptus Extract

Yaya Thumbs%20Up

Hi Claudie! Big%20smile

Hey LadyCC Wink

Date Posted: Jan 14 2010 at 8:20pm
Please keep the ceramide products coming!  Thank you ladies for sharing these products.

If your experiencing hair problems as always I recommend clarifying and using a protein and ceramide product.  Follow it with moisture even if its a moisture leave in.

Incorporating ceramines and keeping a protein/moisture balance has kept me experiencing consistently good hair days I kid you not!  Even if my protein product has no ceramides I will use a leave in with it.

There is always the option of using a Nexxus Shampoo with ceramides.

I hope this helps when you evaluate your current regimen.  It may just be fine as is as your already using ceramides and did not know it. Smile

Posted By: prettigurl
Date Posted: Jan 15 2010 at 1:03am
I have nexxus therappe and it works pretty well for me. I would like to get the garnier melting strength condish too. I just bought the moisture works, but that one doesn't have ceramides

Date Posted: Jan 15 2010 at 8:35am
Originally posted by prettigurl prettigurl wrote:

I have nexxus therappe and it works pretty well for me. I would like to get the garnier melting strength condish too. I just bought the moisture works, but that one doesn't have ceramides

That moisture works is great as an after deep conditioning hair softener and detangler tho'. Thumbs%20Up 

Posted By: shaeshae
Date Posted: Jan 15 2010 at 2:27pm
This is a really good thread!!! I've had wheat germ oil for a while, but for some reason I've used it for everything else BUT my hair!  I think I'm going to check out some of those Dominican products that were listed also.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2010 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by shaeshae shaeshae wrote:

This is a really good thread!!! I've had wheat germ oil for a while, but for some reason I've used it for everything else BUT my hair!  I think I'm going to check out some of those Dominican products that were listed also.

That's great!  Once you understand the ceramide properties in that Wheat Germ oil and how it repairs the cuticle to help hold in protein and moisture
you'll know how to encourporate it into your regi.  

Its important to clarify when needed (less if you use few products with cones, etc.) so that any breaks are repaired/filled in by the ceramide. 

Posted By: emtts11
Date Posted: Jan 15 2010 at 2:40pm

More oils:

Wheat Germ Oil
Barley Malt Oil
Hemp Seed Oil
walnut oil
sunflower oil
kukui oil
Eucalyptus Extract

YES!!!
i have a bottle of sunflower oil sitting around from when i thought i'd try oil pulling and failed. now i have a use for it.

Date Posted: Jan 15 2010 at 2:47pm
Originally posted by emtts11 emtts11 wrote:

More oils:

Wheat Germ Oil
Barley Malt Oil
Hemp Seed Oil
walnut oil
sunflower oil
kukui oil
Eucalyptus Extract

YES!!!
i have a bottle of sunflower oil sitting around from when i thought i'd try oil pulling and failed. now i have a use for it.

That's right!  Add that bad boy to your conditioners.

Oh, and I do add oil to my shampoo.  Have you ever tried that?  It offsets
the possible dryness kinda like a bootleg oil prepoo. LOL

Posted By: shaeshae
Date Posted: Jan 15 2010 at 3:03pm

Originally posted by shaeshae shaeshae wrote:

That's great!  Once you understand the ceramide properties in that Wheat Germ oil and how it repairs the cuticle to help hold in protein and moisture
you'll know how to encourporate it into your regi.  

Its important to clarify when needed (less if you use few products with cones, etc.) so that any breaks are repaired/filled in by the ceramide. 

Thanks, I'm going to starting reading up on it now!

Posted By: CincygirlD
Date Posted: Jan 15 2010 at 3:13pm
This thread is really making me consider Silicon Mix

Date Posted: Jan 15 2010 at 5:21pm
Originally posted by CincygirlD CincygirlD wrote:

This thread is really making me consider Silicon Mix

Silicon Mix is a good product Approve

Posted By: lexelle
Date Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 6:47pm

PJ guilt

Oooooo Ahhhhhh!  Pretty! Big%20smile  I saw that deep conditioner on Sickbay the other day.

Have you seen these products in a beauty supply store?

Date Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 6:51pm

I am definitely loving BPT Wheat Germ conditioner. It took me forever to finally buy it. I started using it in Nov 2009 and it's been a keeper since my very first usage.

Date Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 6:54pm
Originally posted by slayfresh slayfresh wrote:

Do you buy Skala at the BSS or online?

Date Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 6:55pm
Lexelle

no-I am avoiding BSS's at all costs.  My local grocery store has a Brazilian section and I got 2 of those big tubs of Kanechom conditioner for 3.49. 
I avoid that aisle too !!!

Date Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 6:57pm
That's a great price for a big tub of conditioner!!!

How is the product working for you?

Date Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 6:58pm
i know I got the black clay and the shea butter one.  I like the black clay one better than the shea butter because it softens my hair better.   Trying to use those up before i get another one.

Date Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 6:59pm
Productjunikie,  I recognize the product name from the hair boards, but I've never seen it in a store. 

Date Posted: Jan 20 2010 at 7:03pm
Its from Brazil thats why,  Most stores carry stuff from DR

Date Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 9:00am

Originally posted by lexelle lexelle wrote:

I am definitely loving BPT Wheat Germ conditioner. It took me forever to finally buy it. I started using it in Nov 2009 and it's been a keeper since my very first usage.

I like that BPT as well.  So glad its working for you. Big%20smile

Date Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 9:02am

Lexelle

no-I am avoiding BSS's at all costs.  My local grocery store has a Brazilian section and I got 2 of those big tubs of Kanechom conditioner for 3.49. 

Hey Productjunkie, I'm drawing a blank.  Isn't Kanechom the one with different color bottles with ladies on them?  It may be something else but it is Dominican or Braziliian.

Date Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 10:10am
OK. I have what might be a stupid question. How do you know a product has ceramides? What should I be looking for? Will it explicitly say it contains ceramides?

Date Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by Tangie Tangie wrote:

OK. I have what might be a stupid question. How do you know a product has ceramides? What should I be looking for? Will it explicitly say it contains ceramides?

Tangie, great question!  I have always looked for the following ingredients:

Ceramide
Ceramide 3
3 Octadecandiol
wheat or rice proteins
sunflower oil
wheat germ oil

Also see Yaya's post:

More oils:

Wheat Germ Oil
Barley Malt Oil
Hemp Seed Oil
walnut oil
sunflower oil
kukui oil
Eucalyptus Extract

Date Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 1:32pm
Ooh great, LadyCC. That means I have been using ceramides.

Date Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 2:12pm

Ooh great, LadyCC. That means I have been using ceramides.

Big%20smile

Date Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 4:59pm

Lexelle

Hey Productjunkie, I'm drawing a blank.  Isn't Kanechom the one with different color bottles with ladies on them?  It may be something else but it is Dominican or Braziliian.
I think you are talking about sedal products also brazilian

http://www.amazon.com/SEDAL-Sedal-Cermidas-Combination-Set/dp/B000U5UAIW" rel="no follow - http://www.amazon.com/SEDAL-Sedal-Cermidas-Combination-Set/dp/B000U5UAIW

sorry for the product porn.Big%20smile

Date Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 4:59pm

Kanechomn link

http://www.kanechom.com/products.php" rel="no follow - http://www.kanechom.com/products.php

more product pornLOL

Date Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 6:34pm

Lexelle

[I think you are talking about sedal products also brazilian

http://www.amazon.com/SEDAL-Sedal-Cermidas-Combination-Set/dp/B000U5UAIW" rel="no follow - http://www.amazon.com/SEDAL-Sedal-Cermidas-Combination-Set/dp/B000U5UAIW

sorry for the product porn.Big%20smile

Thanks PJ, that's it - Sedal! Smile

Date Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 6:44pm
I had a leave in condish in a purple bottle from Sedal.  I loved it.  Good stuff.

Date Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 8:03pm
^^^ I see them at the BSS where I get my dominican products.

Date Posted: Jan 21 2010 at 8:27pm
I wanna try Sedal deep conditioners.  I can't wait to go thru some of my stash.

Date Posted: Jan 24 2010 at 9:34pm
http:////www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268981" rel="no follow - http:////www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268981

Date Posted: Jan 25 2010 at 10:04am

http:////www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268981" rel="no follow - http:////www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268981

This link does not work

Date Posted: Jan 26 2010 at 5:17am
http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268981" rel="no follow - http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268981 (Corrected link)

I posted this link earlier in this thread (on pg 2)  http://www.longhaircareforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=268981" rel="no follow">Thumbs%20Up

Date Posted: Jan 26 2010 at 8:11am
^^^Oh, I see.  Thanks yaya!! Smile

Date Posted: Jan 26 2010 at 8:14am
Just wanted to post this again from page 3:

What are Ceramides?

• Hemp seed oil
  • Wheat Germ oil

Date Posted: Mar 03 2010 at 2:28pm
i steamed with olive oil and wheat germ oil (ceramide) mixed in QH cholesterol my hair is SO SHINY!!!
Thanks CC

Now I have to find a BIG bottle because not only do i use it in my protein shakes it is now a staple for my hair. I wonder is weekly too much?

Date Posted: Mar 03 2010 at 2:44pm
^^^ I would think you could use it as often as you like.  The benefits are cumulative.

Posted By: alynxx
Date Posted: Mar 03 2010 at 3:53pm
You guys are gonna make me buy more stuff. Have you seen my hair product stash already? I'll just drop some sunflower oil in my condish mix.

Thanks for the info ladies....

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Mar 03 2010 at 4:42pm

Taaliah Waajid moisturizer has wheat germ oil in it. It keeps my hair so moist!!!! I am thinking about the silicon mix. i remember this when I was younger. Is it a protein or moist DC?

oh yeah. Her products are good. I liked silicon mix. Maybe it would prevent splits? Do products with ceramides weight the hair.

Posted By: pinkrabbit
Date Posted: Mar 03 2010 at 5:14pm

Yipee, I have wheat germ, hemp and sunflower oils in my stash, will be incorporating these into my reggie...

Date Posted: Mar 03 2010 at 5:20pm
Originally posted by EPITOME EPITOME wrote:

oh yeah. Her products are good. I liked silicon mix. Maybe it would prevent splits? Do products with ceramides weight the hair.

Not at all.

Date Posted: Mar 03 2010 at 8:21pm

[QUOTE=Tangie]

Not at all.

Tangie is absolutely right. 

But since I am trying to get ladies on the board to understand the importance of Ceramides for healthy hair let me share something from a blog that really clarifies things.  I swear by moisture, protein and ceramides.  I apologize for the long post but I'm in hopes it will answer all questions and give you even more sources for healthy hair. Smile

This is from a blog " Relaxed Hair Health". 
http://relaxedhairhealth.blogspot.com/2010/01/stronger-cuticle-layer-with-ceramides.html" rel="no follow - http://relaxedhairhealth.blogspot.com/2010/01/stronger-cuticle-layer-with-ceramides.html

Her youtube channel is fabohair
http://wbx.me/l/?p=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Ffabohair" rel="no follow - http://wbx.me/l/?p=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.youtube.com%2Fuser%2Ffabohair

I love this/her blog and I have used this concept long enough to say it works.  My focus is not just protein but Keratin (strength) and Collagen (elasticity).  This is why back in January 2009 folks may recall that I gave up ayurvedics and returned mainly to just dominican and Aphogee products.  I find collagen and ceramides in the dominican products and their fairly inexpensive and consistent.

"the holy trinity of healthy hair moisture, protein and ceramides.....Each attribute is equally crucial to wonderful hair. Without moisture, the hair is brittle and breaks easily. Without strength, the hair becomes weak and prone to breakage. Without elasticity the hair can not withstand manipulation which eventually leads to breakage. If either are missing, the hair suffers dearly."

"You guys would be surprised about how thin the cuticle layer is compared the to rest of the hair strand. Not only that, the cuticle get's chipped away with even simple actions like combing the hair. The minute the cuticle layer is compromised your hair strand is in trouble. The cortex is exposed, and the next thing you know, you've got a split end or worse yet, breakage. Ceramides are the first line of protection against the gradual chipping away of the cuticle that leads to hair troubles. By helping to"glue" the scales on the cuticle together, ceramides helps keep the hair strand strong and elastic. "

"The cuticle layer, my friends, is the first line of defense against hair breakage and damage. More importantly, this layer helps to provide the hair strand with the qualities we desire most-strength, shine, and elasticity. If the cuticle layer is damaged, then everything else starts to go downhill. The bad news is that the cuticle layer is not that thick. Even worse than this is the fact that our precious cuticle layer is eroded by even the most basic grooming functions such as combing the hair or even shampooing.

So now I'm thinking of ways to help protect or even repair the cuticle layer (if that's even possible). Well I'm here to tell you all that I've officially crawled out from under the rock I was under and finally came across the wonderful benefits of ceramides. We've probably all heard of ceramides before in passing. It was when I actually found out about what they actually do that I got all excited.

According to hair-science.com, ceramides play a major role in keeping the cuticle layer in place. In fact, the researchers went on to examine strands of damaged hair only to find that these stands were lacking in ceramides. When ceramide stores are depleted, the hair is prone to dryness, brittleness, and breakage. Ceramides are also crucial because of the role they play in providing a protective barrier that helps keep moisture levels where they should be. I'm also excited about the impact of ceramides in increasing elasticity of the hair. Think about it, without the ceramide "glue" helping to keep the cuticle layers in place, the risk for breakage only increases. Studies show that hair which has been treated with ceramide containing conditioners, showed in increase in tensile strength along with protection of the hair against both UV damage and chemical processes. By the way, ceramines are lipids, not proteins. Which means ceramides still provide the hair with strength and elasticity without the hardness side effect of some proteins."

Date Posted: Mar 03 2010 at 8:58pm
thats why i love that product. wheat germ is the second product in the protective body mist.

it's so thiiiick though! i do like 1/2 a pump on my leave out in the front

Date Posted: Mar 03 2010 at 9:00pm

thats why i love that product. wheat germ is the second product in the protective body mist.

I add water to mine. She told me that trick she use to do my hair now she tooooo busy!! LOL I still get lots of goodies from her though.

Date Posted: Mar 03 2010 at 9:54pm

I add water to mine. She told me that trick she use to do my hair now she tooooo busy!! LOL I still get lots of goodies from her though.

she does your hair? jealous! yeah i use soooo little of it bc it's so vicous. i know this is gross but it has the consistency of semenDead 

it's great for the hair though so i dont ever want her to dilute it.

Posted By: flwonline
Date Posted: Mar 03 2010 at 10:08pm
This is a really educational thread. Thanks! I checked out the www.hair-science.com site too...

Date Posted: Mar 03 2010 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by flwonline flwonline wrote:

This is a really educational thread. Thanks! I checked out the www.hair-science.com site too...

Big%20smile

Date Posted: Mar 04 2010 at 8:15am
Bumpity bump! Smile

Date Posted: Mar 04 2010 at 11:02am
Where do yall purchase wheat germ oil at? Whole foods told me that they did not have the oil. Cry

Date Posted: Mar 04 2010 at 3:19pm

Where do yall purchase wheat germ oil at? Whole foods told me that they did not have the oil. Cry

Date Posted: Mar 04 2010 at 3:33pm

[/QUOT

Yaya, I'm sorry...

yaya:  Somebody needs to answer my dern question! Angry   LOL LOL j/k

I don't buy Wheat germ oil as its already in my deep conditioner.  But I do see it at the Vitamin Shoppe where I get my MSM powder. Smile

Date Posted: Mar 04 2010 at 4:17pm
Thanks for that info, LadyCC.

Date Posted: Mar 04 2010 at 4:20pm
Thanks cc Big%20smile

Now I need to locate a vitamin shoppe

My spelling has been a HOTTTTT mess lately Embarrassed

Date Posted: Mar 04 2010 at 4:57pm
No problem.  You might even want to check local health food stores in your area.  Try Super Yellow pages.com and search your area.

Date Posted: Mar 04 2010 at 5:01pm
Gracias chica-

There is one right around the corner from work. I called and I should be there in ... 2 minutes Big%20smile

Posted By: herwoman
Date Posted: Mar 04 2010 at 5:02pm
Does this product have ceramides?I don't want to continue using something that's not going to be beneficial for me even though it makes my hair feel great.

TIGI Bead Head Brunette Goddess Conditioner

Here are the ingredients:

Aqua (Water/Eau), Cetearyl Alcohol, GLycerin, Stearalkonium Chloride, Behentrimonium Methosulfate, Panthenol, Dimethicone, Simmondsia Chinensis (Jojoba) Seed Oil, Hydrolyzed Wheat Protein, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Tocopheryl Acetate, Retinyl Palmitate, Ascorbyl Palmitate, Phospholipids, Sodium Riboflavin Phosphate, Amodimethicone, Trimethylsiloxyamodimethicone, Cetrimonium Chloride, Sodium PCA, Hydroxypropyl Guar, Hydroxyethylcellulose, Trideceth-12, C11-15 Pareth-7, C12-16 Pareth-9, Phenoxyethanol, Methylparaben, Propylparaben, Ethylparaben, Butylparaben, Isobutylparaben, Parfum (Fragrance), Benzyl Benzoate, Citric Acid, Disodium EDTA, Caramel, CI15510 (Orange 4)

Print Page | Close Window