Print Page | Close Window

Blue Magic Hair Grease!

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Hair Products
Forum Name: Hair Gels, Oils, etc.
Forum Description: Discussions on Hair Gels, Oils, etc.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=233381
Printed Date: Sep 21 2017 at 6:44pm

Topic: Blue Magic Hair Grease!
Posted By: GlamJoy
Subject: Blue Magic Hair Grease!
Date Posted: Dec 21 2009 at 10:48am
TongueHello thanks for clicking ym question.Is hair grease good for african american scalp.I've used it all my life and it kept my hair healthy and long.I currently use blue magic hair grease(castor oil) It lasts for 4-5 months and th jar is big.Do you think that it is good for the scalp and how often should i grease it?Heres my routine tho (monday,wednesday and friday)..What do you think??

Replies:
Posted By: babykarma
Date Posted: Jan 02 2010 at 1:13am
I used to use blue magic but it made my hair flat with no movement but it did give me shine.

Posted By: coco devine
Date Posted: Jan 06 2010 at 6:14pm
Hey, have tried a cream type (pure) moisturiser and sealing with an oil?

it was the first thing i did when i started looking at the forum.

cut out greasing your scalp, moisturise your new hair growth and ends, then use an oil of your choice to lock it all in.

my hair is much  healthier than before.

i do that everyday and the condition of my hair has only improved.

And, i remember blue magic....it has nothing on this new regime!

i hope this helps.

Posted By: mscaribbeanma
Date Posted: Feb 10 2010 at 10:46pm
i used to use if  for  a long time but when i startedmy hair journey i noticed that everytime i put it in...my hair wud break...plus from what i have learned it contains petrolatum/petroleu somethin like that lol from what i gather its not a moisture or seal agent..but for some ppl that may not be hte case

Posted By: mscaribbeanma
Date Posted: Feb 10 2010 at 10:46pm
i used to use if  for  a long time but when i startedmy hair journey i noticed that everytime i put it in...my hair wud break...plus from what i have learned it contains petrolatum/petroleu somethin like that lol from what i gather its not a moisture or seal agent..but for some ppl that may not be hte case

Posted By: Mrs.Me
Date Posted: Feb 15 2010 at 3:08pm
I use it sometimes when I'm bunning on windy days. I like it better than hair gel. And I use it to seal my ends but not on my scalp so much.

Posted By: mzhoneythang
Date Posted: Feb 21 2010 at 8:34pm
i used to use grease but not anymore, it's not necessary and it generally makes my hair greasy.

Posted By: BHairDiiva
Date Posted: May 09 2010 at 2:08pm
you should mostly use greases to coat the hair, apply only a thin layer for shine. Other than that,it weighs down the hair. Stick to sprays (alchohol-free), glossers, and light serums.

Posted By: Lilnicka4u2nv
Date Posted: May 09 2010 at 2:16pm
please dont clog your scalp with that stuff...you can use it on your strands to seal in your moisturizer...

Posted By: Mishar
Date Posted: May 27 2010 at 4:19pm
Moisturizing your scalp is not that necessary. Its your ends that will trip. Our scalps produce natural oils so when you put oil on it it makes it dirty quicker. When I used to oil my scalp before BHM and when I was relaxed I had to wash often because the oil would weigh the hair down which I hated Angry especially when I did a good roller set.

Posted By: babyk94
Date Posted: Jun 08 2010 at 5:58pm
I would say not to grease it at all bcause blue magic clogs the pores in your scalp.

Posted By: ßlackIcè
Date Posted: Aug 05 2010 at 6:14pm
any overuse of any oil will clog your pores

Posted By: productjunkie
Date Posted: Aug 10 2010 at 10:34pm
Originally posted by GlamJoy GlamJoy wrote:

TongueHello thanks for clicking ym question.Is hair grease good for african american scalp.I've used it all my life and it kept my hair healthy and long. I currently use blue magic hair grease(castor oil) It lasts for 4-5 months and th jar is big.Do you think that it is good for the scalp and how often should i grease it?Heres my routine tho (monday,wednesday and friday)..What do you think??

You already answered your question.  IMO Mineral oil gets a bad rap.  I use dominican products laden with mineral oil and its works for my hair just fine.  I learned to listen to my own hair and its likes and dislikes.  i also use Nu Gro grease with petroleum mixed with Boundless Tresses 3x a week with no issues.

If youre concerning about the health of your scalp, just add some Jojoba oil to your shampoos to get rid of hardened sebum that can clog hair follicles.  You can have this condition without using grease.  Oil dissolves oil.

Posted By: NARSAddict
Date Posted: Aug 18 2010 at 11:40pm
Man I haven't used Blue Magic in a decade.  But what I do remember is that it made my hair feel stiff and dry but greasy.  But back then I didn't know about water and using grease only to seal the moisture.  I thought grease was the moisture.  If it works for you, by all means keep using it.  For me I just don't have the urge to go back to it.  It is a bit heavy on my scalp.  Even though my scalp produces oils, there is an area on my scalp where it is just bone dry. Therefore I need to put some kind of emollient oil on there, after a rosewater spritz.  Good luck.

Posted By: GoatGoatEtc.
Date Posted: Jan 18 2011 at 7:44pm
Weighted my hair long ago so stopped using it...my only use for it is emergency moisturizer after a shower. Or something to coat the perimeter of my or my boyfriends hair for hair dye days.

Posted By: KittenWhip
Date Posted: Jan 18 2011 at 7:49pm
Wow, I hadn't thought about Blue Magic in years.  My mom used to use that in my hair back in the day.  You brought back some sweet memories... hot combs, sitting in the kitchen getting my hair done...  Good times.

As for using it now, I'd have to say "No."

Posted By: Conceited
Date Posted: Feb 14 2011 at 10:56pm
I use it, I love it.

Posted By: MsRere27
Date Posted: Feb 15 2011 at 10:55pm
Shocked I ain't know people still used BM

Posted By: glamrock
Date Posted: Feb 18 2011 at 12:10am
i will never discard my blue magic. i never know when i may need to dab some on. lol

Posted By: Reece83
Date Posted: Feb 18 2011 at 4:51pm
I used it on my scalp in the past but stopped when I heard it clogs the pores. I used it on my ends while bunning and after about a week my ends were nice and soft. I think its probably good at sealing.

Posted By: mjsdirtydiana88
Date Posted: Mar 01 2011 at 8:52pm
personally i dont use it. it has mineral oil and petroleum in it. but if it works for you, why not? :)

Posted By: LIZZETTE81
Date Posted: Mar 06 2011 at 2:42pm
I had some BM just sitting on the shelf (so am trying to use up all the stuff that I don't like), so I mixed the BM with some leave in cond. that was yucky (very watery), added some sulfur and some mega-tek, got out my hand mixer, whipped it until is was real smooooth........love it! Then again my hair has always entertained BM/petroleum. I can tell you one thing for DANG sure, when my ma was taking care of my hair (back in the day we didn't know about no almond oil, argan oil, and natural oils that), she used hair-rep, coconut pomade and royal crown, (and there wasn't a whole lot of shampoo'ing going on either), my hair was past my shoulders and healthy. Negro got grown started with perms, colors, and all that other stuff, and my hair has been jacked up for the past 30 years, hair went straight in the tiolet! But I say, use what you like! I just love living in America...do what YOU LIKE AND LOVE Clap.

Posted By: glamrock
Date Posted: Mar 06 2011 at 2:51pm
I spent the night at a friends house and had no styling products with me and we decided to go out to lunch so i had to make my hair look extra nice. My friend had some shampoo and hair grease and that was it. I washed my fro and finger styled it with grease then airdried it and honestly, that was the best wash & go fro I have ever had

i am back to the late 70s with most of my styling & beauty products and i have been having much better results than i have had with all the high priced new age stuff that is not tried and true. Im about to go back to using Ponds Cold Creme or Noxema on my face next lol

Posted By: LIZZETTE81
Date Posted: Mar 06 2011 at 3:23pm
Originally posted by glamrock glamrock wrote:

I spent the night at a friends house and had no styling products with me and we decided to go out to lunch so i had to make my hair look extra nice. My friend had some shampoo and hair grease and that was it. I washed my fro and finger styled it with grease then airdried it and honestly, that was the best wash & go fro I have ever had

i am back to the late 70s with most of my styling & beauty products and i have been having much better results than i have had with all the high priced new age stuff that is not tried and true. Im about to go back to using Ponds Cold Creme or Noxema on my face next lol
BM isn't that bad! I remember back in the day there was no "OILS" other than crisco (my aunt used crisco on her hair and feet), both were beautiful, and to this day her hair is still long and healthy. But again I'm guilty on jumpin' on the band wagon because somebody said this or that, I have decided to just do "ME" and be happy. I too was thinking about using some of the "old school hair products", heck, my hair was so healthy and long. As far as Noxema......I have spent hundreds of $ on face stuff............just a waste of money. Went back to Noxema and have stayed there. Just do "YOU", everybody is different and results are different. I love livin' in Amercia, do what "YOU" like and be happy Big smileClapBig smileClapBig smileClap.

Posted By: joileprincess
Date Posted: Apr 09 2011 at 11:04pm
Originally posted by glamrock glamrock wrote:

Now you know I agree with this. I've been using my Ultra Sheen, Hindu Sheen, and CON and I get great results with my natural hair and weave. As far as I am concerned, if it works it works. Listen to your own hair.

My SO uses Blue Magic.

Posted By: niecy
Date Posted: Apr 09 2011 at 11:11pm
Honestly, if it it does more good than bad for your hair then I say keep using it. People say you shouldn't use certain products because of the ingredients and what have you but if something is working for you then why go switching things up.

Originally posted by Mishar Mishar wrote:

Moisturizing your scalp is not that necessary. Its your ends that will trip. Our scalps produce natural oils so when you put oil on it it makes it dirty quicker. When I used to oil my scalp before BHM and when I was relaxed I had to wash often because the oil would weigh the hair down which I hated Angry especially when I did a good roller set.

IMO moisturizing your scalp is necessary especially if you do things like wash your hair frequently because certain products can strip your hair of it's natural oils. Also, you have to remember that, yes our hair produces oils naturally, but for some it may not be as much as others so that extra bit of moisture is probably needed to help their hair grow healthy and long.

Posted By: PrettyBrown561
Date Posted: Apr 10 2011 at 11:46am
Please try to  refrain from using products that contain petrolatum or mineral oil in your hair. It clogs your hair follices and makes it flat and lifeless. Coconut, Shea Jojoba and Tree tree oils are great and healthier alternatives.  Trust me you'll notice the difference. I make a blend of my favorite oils into a whipped consistency and my hair loves it. Wink

Posted By: Brownsugar1
Date Posted: Apr 11 2011 at 12:49am
Blue magic grease

Posted By: gokgurl831
Date Posted: May 24 2011 at 9:18pm
if your scalp it itchy and has dandruff you should try the kera care dry and itchy scalp glossifer! that stuff is amazing it gives you shine and movement! and it last for like 3 days unlike the blue magic but its like 13 and really worth it! as soon as you put it on your scalp you can feel it going to work!LOL

Posted By: Lilacflower1988
Date Posted: May 28 2011 at 2:35pm
LOL You shouldn't have asked that question on this board cause grease is rule number one when it comes to what not to use on your scalp/hair if you want to keep it healthy. Every black woman should know this by now.

Posted By: lovelynikki
Date Posted: Jun 17 2011 at 6:29pm
My mom used to use blue magic on my hair as a kid. She would slap it on my hair and take a wet brush to put my hair in a little ponytails. I hated it because it smelled awful. As an adult it just weighed my hair down and made it look a greasy mess.

Posted By: queenb714
Date Posted: Jul 12 2011 at 9:08pm
I go back to being 4 y.o. everytime I see the blue jar sigh

Posted By: DarkBrown
Date Posted: Jul 18 2011 at 5:56am
Originally posted by Lilacflower1988 Lilacflower1988 wrote:

LOL You shouldn't have asked that question on this board cause grease is rule number one when it comes to what not to use on your scalp/hair if you want to keep it healthy. Every black woman should know this by now.

IA. grease clogs

-------------
A man falls in love through his eyes, a woman through her ears.

Posted By: lilmsrosie87
Date Posted: Jul 28 2011 at 1:36am
i absolutely hate Blue magic grease!!! Angry It did nothing for my hair (because of the horrible ingredients of course) but weight it down and make it extremely greasy. Not to mention my hair still broke off. If I only knew then what I know now

Posted By: SimplisticLove
Date Posted: Aug 28 2011 at 1:23pm
I've felt the texture of that stuff and I don't even want to put it in my hair . I works well for my friend but idt that giving to work for me .. It reminds me of doo grow ..

-------------
Follow me on my Journey : Youtube.com/GlamorousKYANNA

*Lose some lbs b4 2O12 Challenge
*Beginners Hair Care Challenge
*1+ Inch By Christmas Challenge

Posted By: chocolatedrop25
Date Posted: Nov 25 2012 at 3:05pm
I fell for the "grease is bad for hair" comment. But I am a new natural and I tried all the products and natural products that they claim that is better and natural. But my hair was like Angry. So I got some Blue magic castor oil hair grease and it has been the best choice since going natural. My hair is soft moisturized and growing. I had some breakage spot and its filling in. I dont care if it clogs pores. Thats what a shampoo is for to cleanse hair and scalp. Duh!!...lol Its not like it will be up there forever. But to each its own. Just sharing my experience. 

Posted By: lovelyjourney
Date Posted: Jan 08 2017 at 4:22pm
i wasted alot of money on natural  products and my hair was dry and the shortest its ever been. i never had breakage and bald thin hairline as a child using grease and i dont have those problems as an adult using grease. i love blue magic hair conditioner. i think its better to keep it OLD SCHOOL and simple. marc's lano lustre and blue magic original are the best hair greases out.

Posted By: NJHairLuv
Date Posted: Jan 21 2017 at 9:00pm
Originally posted by lovelyjourney lovelyjourney wrote:

keep it OLD SCHOOL and simple.

^^^This is what I live by. Skin, hair, weave, etc are thriving with my 1970s based regimen^^^

Print Page | Close Window