Print Page | Close Window

Hair Breakage 101--- just wanted to share

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Hair Care
Forum Name: Hair Breakage
Forum Description: Hair Breakage issues, solutions, and discussions
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=22392
Printed Date: May 24 2018 at 9:30am


Topic: Hair Breakage 101--- just wanted to share
Posted By: mizzslick
Subject: Hair Breakage 101--- just wanted to share
Date Posted: Apr 23 2006 at 1:33pm
As we all know, breakage and growth  and hair health go hand in hand because with breakage, health and  growth potential are greatly reduced.

I've shared this info on the Ezboard site I frequent, and I've decided to share a bit of what I've been writing with you all too. Some of you will recognize alot of this because I've been saving many of the posts I've done on various boards.   Please excuse the millions of typos as well-- I haven't had the chance to go through and truncate the repetition or correct for spelling. Forgive me ahead of time, it is still a work in progress and this is only an excerpt.

I believe this information will help the newbies, and the vets sort out their breakage issues and give them some useful background information so that they can get a better sense of the direction they should aiming product and technique wise. Ladies, feel free to add to this thread. We want to share and provide each other with as much information as possible.



Breakage and Shedding

Understanding the difference between breakage and shedding is an important part of any healthy hair regimen. Many people use these terms interchangeably to refer to any hair that falls from the head. In its true sense, shed hair is hair that has reached the end of its growing cycle and naturally falls from the scalp along with its root attached. The root is a tiny white bulb on the scalp originating end. If a hair does not possess this white bulb, then it is not a naturally shed hair�rather, a broken one. Shed hair tends to be longer in length than broken hairs which are generally short pieces of varying lengths. If you have stretched your relaxer for a great number of weeks, your shed hair will have the curly new growth present on the area next to the scalp, and you will be able to see where the relaxed hair begins. Some find that garlic shampoos or products with garlic extracts help curb shedding. But remember, shedding is a natural, internal process and may not respond to topical, external treatments. So don't be alarmed if nothing works for you. Changes in diet, hormone imbalances, birth control pills, and pregnancy can also affect the rate at which hair is shed.

Breakage on the other hand is not natural, and is an indication of an imbalance of important forces within the hair strand. Broken hairs do not fall naturally from the head, but are typically a sign of mishandling or abuse. The proper treatments, will help stop breakage in its tracks.



Protein and Moisture


Scenario 1: Kim�s hair is breaking like crazy and feels like a brillo pad. Every time she touches it, pieces seem to just pop right off. Snap, crackle, pop. Combing is impossible without tons of little hairs covering her sink and back. Her hair feels hard and rough even when wet. She�s given it protein treatments because the product says its supposed to stop breakage in its tracks and rebuild the hair, but so far nothing is working and her problem is getting worse.

Scenario 2: Trina�s hair is breaking like crazy as well. Her hair feels dry, looks dull, and is very weak. Her hair is too weak to withstand simple combing. It feels extra stretchy when wet and almost follows the comb as she pulls through to detangle. She�s deep conditioned and done hot oil treatments on her hair once a week. Since her breakage began, she�s stepped up the conditioning but her problem has gotten worse.


Both of these women have issues with breakage, but the solutions to their individual problems require two very different approaches. Before you go shopping for your hair care product arsenal, you must understand the difference between protein and moisture and what they mean for your hair. Protein and moisture are the key cornerstones of great hair care. Maintaining a proper balance between these two entities is critical for the healthiest hair growth possible. The two scenarios above perfectly illustrate what happens when the balance between protein and moisture is tipped too far in either direction. This section will teach you to effectively recognize the difference between protein based and moisture based problems and help you can organize your hair regimen to effectively combat these issues as the arise.

Protein

Protein is what gives the hair its strength and structure. Hair is about 70% keratin protein by nature. Protein is found most prevalently in products like instant conditioners (bargain brands like Suave and V05), leave in conditioners, protein conditioner treatments, and even some moisturizers.

Moisturizers

Moisturizers are products that are water-based and nourish your hair deep within the strand. Water is the ultimate moisturizer so waterbased products are best for really getting the best moisture benefit. Products with moisturizing properties tend to be your conditioners and other water-based products. Moisturizers may also be protein-based, but these protein based moisturizers do not have the moisturizing benefit that moisture-based moisturizers have. Good moisturizers will not contain ingredients like petrolatum, mineral oil, or lanolin. These are cheap product fillers. Be wary of products that claim moisturizing benefits and contain these ingredients. There is nothing moisturizing about them! Petrolatum and mineral oil are sealants and have the potential to suffocate the hair and scalp and seal out the moisture it needs.

Sealing in your Moisturizers:
Our hair naturally contains moisture, but because our hair is also naturally porous, keeping the moisture inside is a difficult task. Sources of outside moisture, or external moisture supplementation is a must for black hair. Water molecules and moisture from these supplemental moisturizing products easily passes into the hair shaft, but they pass out just as easily. The moisture you apply needs to held in by something. Oil.
A light coating of oil on top will help seal the moisture inside. Oils are made of large molecules. These molecules are too large to absorbed by the hair strand. Applying oils to the hair and scalp will coat them and trap moisture that is inside on the inside and moisture that is outside on the outside. The key is to lock in the moisture within the strands with your oil. If you use oils without a moisturizer or before one, the oil will seal the moisture out of the hair strand and lead to eventual dryness. This technique of moisturizing and sealing has really been helpful to me and is a resonating hallmark of my regimen. Moisturizing success is all in the order in which you apply your products.

REMEMBER! Oils DO NOT Moisturize.
Perhaps a words like �nourish� would be better than moisturize. If I had a nickel for every time someone asked me to recommend a good oil that moisturizes, I would be rich! Oil alone will not and cannot moisturize within the hair shaft. An oil can only coat the outside of the strand, and give it shine- the illusion of moisture. Again, the molecules that make oil are much too large to penetrate. Oil molecules are �hydro-phobic� which means they repel and do not readily mix with water. Remember, if you apply an oil product to your hair before you have added a moisturizing product, you have created a seal on your hair strand that water and moisture cannot penetrate.



When the Balance Tips, You Must Wet Assess


Too much of a good thing can be a bad thing. Hair is not exempt from this old adage. Growing out your hair is a constant battle between maintaining an even protein and moisture balance. Breakage is the result of the hair chemistry being thrown off balance. . Remember Kim and Trina from the beginning of the section? Hair that is shifted too far on either side of the balance (too much protein or too much moisture) will break.


The Importance of Wet Assessment

Though health assessments can be performed on dry hair, determining your cause of breakage is often easiest on wet hair. Hair in its wet state exudes the basic properties of hair---elasticity and strength�excellently. In fact, these qualities are often exaggerated on wet hair. Thorough and frequent wet assessments will help you maintain your hair�s health and condition.

Hair in its optimal condition will not break when wet unless undue stress is placed upon it through aggressive combing or detangling. A balanced and healthy hair strand will stretch and break only under undue, or unusual types of pulling stress. Balanced hair will feel soft and supple, yet strong while wet. When you comb through it when wet, it should resist excess stretching and will hardly break if you are careful. Over time, and with trial and error, you will be able to tell what is normal stress for your hair.
If your hair does indeed break when wet, the way the hair breaks under these conditions will give you a sure indication of wether more moisture or protein is required to regain the proper balance.

How Do I Perform a Proper Wet Assessment?

It will be difficult for you to wet assess your hair by holding a single strand and pulling on both ends. That type of stress would be considered "undue" stress, because no single hair is ever really subjected to that sort of tension at one time. Any strand of hair (healthy or not) that you pull on by both ends has the potential to snap depending on the pressure you apply to it. Hair should be wet assessed by the normal act of combing though it or touching-testing it.

Wet Assessment Break Down


If your hair:


(Wet or Dry) Stretches slighty/returns to original length /no breaking= you are balanced just stick with maintaining!
(Wet ot Dry) Stretching a little more than normal then breaks= more protein

(Wet or Dry)Stretching, stretching, stretching/no breakage yet= more protein

(Wet)- Weak, gummy, mushy, limp hair= more protein

(Wet or Dry) Very little/no stretching then breakage= more moisture

(Dry) Rough/tough/hard/tangly/brittle hair= more moisture


Unsure= err on the side of moisture


For those of you just starting out on your journey to healthier head of hair, I recommend you begin with a more moisture friendly regimen before you incorporate the protein aspect. The reason being, many of us (before our hair care awakening) have naturally moisture deficient hair care routines and regimens- especially those with no regimen at all. Rarely have I seen a woman have hair problems that are a result of over-conditioning her hair and too much moisture. I can guarantee you that almost 99% of the time, poor moisturizing and conditioning are the issues that spawn our hair care interventions.




When the Balance is thrown off by too much protein:


Hair that is shifted too far on the protein side will break easier, both wet and dry, because it lacks elasticity. Hair that breaks with very little tension or stretching is moisture deficient. Any type of stretching or tension will break it because the protein goes in and adds structure to the hair. Too much structure will make the hair rigid, decrease its elasticity, leave it brittle and prone to breakage. This was the issue with Kim�s hair. She was feeding her hair more protein than she needed to maintain a healthy balance. If this describes your hair at any time listen up! To correct this imbalance, you will need to go into a simple deep conditioning and moisturizing regimen. You may not be doing "protein treatments" per se, but you may be using other products that are protein heavy ingredient wise. I would watch out for protein in common products like leave in conditioners, moisturizers,gels, and instant conditioners like Suave and V05. Protein hides in alot of everyday products- so avoid those for a few weeks until your moisture balance is corrected. This will give your hair a chance to even out the protein/moisture balance.

Should I schedule my protein treatments in advance?
I do not advise "protein-ing" on a specific schedule, simply because our hair is seasonal. Setting aside a week or two in your regimen for protein conditioning is just not effective at addressing your hair needs as they arise. It doesn't know or understand our "schedules". It's needs and wants change from day to day, week to week. The only product you must adhere to a schedule is the Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair because it can only be used every 6 weeks or so because of its strength. The other treatments in between that one should only be done as you need them. Sometimes that might be weekly, other times it may be every 2 or 3 weeks! Only your hair can dictate that to you. I'm sure you've seen the threads where I discuss how to tell when your hair needs more protein- or when it needs more moisture. There are very specific ways to tell =) Once you get to know your hair more and more, it will be like second nature! Scheduling is good for when you are just starting out and getting into the groove, but you'll soon start to see that your hair often has its own plan for when you need different things for it! Then, scheduling kind of becomes useless in the grand scheme of hair care things. It also prevents you from truly developing an understanding of your own hair because instead of looking for certain cues and signs, you are looking at the calendar. Protein-ing on a schedule can eventually lead to protein overload if you aren't careful! It is so much harder to bounce back from an overload of protein than it is an overload of moisture/conditioning.

How much is too much?
I totally agree that relaxed ladies need more protein. If you are relaxed or color treated, those processes have compromised the protein structure of your hair--so you kinda need the supplemental protein. Not everyone needs protein though, some naturals can live without it...

For the relaxed ladies though, It's like we've all sustained different degrees of "damage" from the relaxing processes. Some people's hair is more protein deficient by nature (from the coloring/relaxing) so they require more to keep the balance in tact. Relaxing and coloring breaks protein bonds so depending on the type and degree of relaxer and level on bond breakage you will need more or less protein than someone else. So you can't say weekly, daily, or monthly protein is too much or too little because we do not know the true condition and specific needs of your hair to start with. At the end of the day, you must experiment and get to know your own head of hair.
Some proteins are stronger than others, but daily or even weekly use of even the milder protein treatments may result in an imbalance between the protein and moisture levels within the hair strands in some people. But honestly, its almost too hard to even go by the "types of proteins". You never know the percent composition of these products so though it may have a specific protein down the ingredient list, it might not be as strong as if it were higher on the ingredient list(greater percent composition). The protein in question could be 30% of the product or 0.3%! Who knows! You have to play around with different products to know how strong it is on your hair. You can't really say "Oh this is wheat protein so its gonna very light!" Or "this is animal protein, so its gonna be very heavy." It would be nice if that were true all the time, but because the product percent composition really plays such an important role, label reading can only do so much. For example, every product with keratin isn't going to feel the same way across the board. Just like every product that contains glycerine or water isn't going to feel the same! You must experiment and find your hair tolerance and it will vary from product to product, not necessarily protein to protein.

For example, some people think Aphogee 2 minute is a mild to tough protein, but my hair tends to laugh at it and feel the exact same after using it. For me, I just experimented using different combinations of products to find out what my hair tolerance is.



When the Balance is thrown off by too much moisture:


Yes! There is such a thing as �over-conditioning� the hair and Trina found that out the hard way. Hair that is shifted too far on the moisture side will be "super-elastic" and stretch more because it lacks a sound protein structure. Many ladies describe the feel of over-conditioned/over-moisturized hair as �mush-like� or �overly soft� when wet. It has almost a weak, limp spongy feel to it. Protein deficient hair will tend to pull and stretch along with the comb and then break. It will always stretch first then break which is the result of very low supplemental protein in the regimen. When this is the case, you will need some kind of protein to give the hair structure which will make it feel rigid (stronger) again. If your hair is stretching without returning, even if its not breaking you should use a light protein to correct this. When your hair stretches, the strand "thins" and becomes weaker across the cross section. It may not break right then at that very point in time, but stretched out of and beyond its shape, it is compromised and will eventually break at some other point. Your hair should be springing back to position. If its stretching and stretching without breaking it may be your hair's way of telling you, "Hey, I need a little structure (protein) here! I'm getting waaaay too elastic, but not yet enough to break-- so do something now!" This is where a preventive maintenance protein application would come in. You don't have to wait for breakage to act. Your hair is telling you now Start light, and work from there. You may not need a heavy treatment just yet.

And, you don't have to get all of your protein from a "treatment" per se or conditioner either. You can always throw in protein based leave in conditioners like (Infusium23) or waterbased moisturizers like (Cantu's Breakcure/or Elasta QP mango butter) to help you maintain the balance within your regimen. This way you can get a little or a lot without relying on one product.




I'm Balanced- Now What?

Now once your hair is balanced and the breakage has minimized you can try to maintain the balance for as long as you can by interchanging your products. It doesn't have to be on a particular schedule. It is a constant struggle to balance these two. Ladies, I remember when I first started trying to get a growth regimen going- I planned out all my treatments on the calendar. Now, I've found that this method just doesn't work. Sometimes you need more protein, sometimes none at all. Sometimes its more moisture! You have to listen to your hair to know what do when. So you could say, I'll use protein every other week...but what do you do when your hair decides hey! I want to act brittle and dry and break (a sign of too much protein) the week you are due for more protein? Balance is the word! You'll know how to handle it as you gain experience.


WHEW!:lol And that's only the tip of the iceberg of what I've been cooking up over here. I know its long, but I sincerely hope this helps! If even one person benefits, it will have served its purpose. :D



Okay-- Here is the product breakdown. This list is by no means exhaustive, but its a good start. It'll help you see which side you've been leaning on product wise and which side you need to incorporate products from to achieve your balance. Please feel free to help me add products if you don't see one you use up here- and help me put them in their proper placements. I've included strength indicators for most of the protein products- but those are only based on my hair and what I have used. If you've used a protein product, make sure you indicate the strength so that can be added too! If see something and you think its on the wrong side, let me know!

Types of Protein Products:


Specialty Treatments
Nexxus Emergencee (moderate)
Nexxus Keraphix (moderate)
Aphogee 2 Min Keratin Recon. (mild/moderate)
Aphogee Treatment for Damaged Hair (heavy)
LeKair Cholesterol (mild/moderate)
Dudley�s DRC
Motions CPR(mild/moderate)
ORS Mayo (moderate)
Elucence Extended Moisture Repair
KeraCare 5 n 1
Joico K-Pac (mild)
Elasta Qp Anti Breakage serum


Protein Conditioners
Motions Moisture Silk Protein conditioner
Mane N Tail (shampoo)
Aubrey Organics GPB
Mane N tail (moderate/heavy)
Garnier Fructis Long N Strong (mild)
AtOne Botanicals Reconstructor w/ Moisture Recovery* (light)
Any Instant Conditioner like Suave and V05 (light/mild)
Got2B Soft 1 Minute Emergency (light/mild)
Rusk Sensories 60 second Revive
ORS replenishing pak (light/mild)

Protein Moisturizers
Cantu Shea Butter Break Cure
Cantu Shea Butter Grow Strong
Elasta QP Mango Butter
Profectiv Mega Growth and Healthy Ends

Protein Leave Ins:
Infusium 23
Cantu Shea Butter Leave In
Salerm 21(moisture w/ protein)
Nexxus Headress (moisture w/protein)
Mane N Tail (Conditioner can also be used as leave in)
Profectiv Break Free Leave In


*So light, this can double as a moisturizing conditioner.

Types of Moisturizing Products:

*Note* Some of the products listed as moisturizing do contain small amounts of protein�but in my opinion, their moisturizing abilities override any protein overuse concerns.


Moisture-Based Conditioners
Cr�me of Nature Nourishing Conditioner
Herbal Essences Replenishing Conditioner
Nexxus Humectress
Kenra Moisturizing Conditioner
Dove Intense Moisture
Neutragena Triple Moisture Daily Conditioner
Neutragena Triple Moisture Deep Recovery Mask???
Elucence Moisture Balancing conditioner
Keracare Humecto
Mizani Moisturefuse


Moisture-Based Moisturizers
ORS olive oil
ORS carrot oil
S-Curl
StaSoFro
Hollywood Beauty Carrot and Olive Oil
Most Braid Sprays
*moisturizing leave ins can be used as waterbased moisturizers- especially cr�me based ones)

Moisturizing Leave Ins:
Neutragena Triple Moisture Silk Touch Leave in
Profectiv Anti-Tangle Leave In
 
Be sure to fan me on Facebook guys!: http://www.facebook.com/BlackHair101" rel="nofollow - http://www.facebook.com/BlackHair101
Or visit my site http://www.blackhairscience.com" rel="nofollow - www.blackhairscience.com for more information!
Twitter- Follow me! http://twitter.com/#!/BlackHair101" rel="nofollow - http://twitter.com/#!/BlackHair101



Replies:
Posted By: Priestess
Date Posted: Apr 23 2006 at 4:02pm
Wow, this is amazing...  Thank you Mizzslick.  Clap


Posted By: Lady Pink Ice
Date Posted: Apr 23 2006 at 4:30pm
This is really great information! Thanks for the info and thanks for sharing!


Posted By: jen2262
Date Posted: Apr 23 2006 at 4:43pm
Wow! This was excellent. I really feel extra motivated now! Thanks MizzSlick!


Posted By: mizzslick
Date Posted: Apr 23 2006 at 5:22pm
no problem guys! Big smile


Posted By: Glamma
Date Posted: Apr 23 2006 at 6:09pm
Thanks for the great info MizzSlick.  BTW your hair is beautiful Wink


Posted By: SunnyV
Date Posted: Apr 23 2006 at 6:27pm
mizzslick, your hair is gorgeous!. I need help desperately.

Key Facts: I have seborreha. I am going into an inactive phase because the weather is starting to warm up. Normally when in its worst phase, I seem to manage my condition better when I wash every three days with Head & Shoulders. I don;t go to Salons because I find that caring for people with scalp disorders they have no clue.

After washing, I would condition w/ ors Mayo or Lustrasilk Mango conditioner. I find that VO5 Detangle and shine works good in my hair. I normally moisturize with Soft& Beautiful Botanical Oil and blow dry. ( I am not good at wrapping or rollersetting). I am so scared because there is so much hair on me, the wall the floor. I have to vaccaum when finished. I do have some health issues such as being anemic and PCOS, insulin resistance, so I am wondering if this is causing the stress with my hair.

Also, I relaxed my hair every 6-8 weeks because I would lose even more hair. Any recommendations?


Posted By: mizzslick
Date Posted: Apr 23 2006 at 9:56pm
Thank you guys so much!  I hope you find it helpfulSmile
 
Originally posted by SunnyV SunnyV wrote:

mizzslick, your hair is gorgeous!. I need help desperately.
Key Facts: I have seborreha. I am going into an inactive phase because the weather is starting to warm up. Normally when in its worst phase, I seem to manage my condition better when I wash every three days with Head & Shoulders. I don;t go to Salons because I find that caring for people with scalp disorders they have no clue.

After washing, I would condition w/ ors Mayo or Lustrasilk Mango conditioner. I find that VO5 Detangle and shine works good in my hair. I normally moisturize with Soft& Beautiful Botanical Oil and blow dry. ( I am not good at wrapping or rollersetting). I am so scared because there is so much hair on me, the wall the floor. I have to vaccaum when finished. I do have some health issues such as being anemic and PCOS, insulin resistance, so I am wondering if this is causing the stress with my hair.

Also, I relaxed my hair every 6-8 weeks because I would lose even more hair. Any recommendations?
 
don't worry girl!Hug  Definitely see a dermatologist for the seborrhea.  They may be able to prescribe some stronger more effective shampoos for keeping this issue in check. 
 
Also be sure that you diet is on point with the anemia and insulin problems.  Those conditions as well as any medication you are currently on can effect the quality of your hair as it emerges from the scalp.  A good multivitamin w/ iron will help promote a newer crop of hair coming in.
 
With the stronger shampoos to help control the seborrhea you will need to work extra hard at replenishing the moisture to your strands.  For effective conditioning, you may want to look into some more moisturizing types of conditioners.  I know for a fact that ORS mayo is a pretty moderate protein based conditioner and will tend to add a bit more structure than you need for your delicate strands.  I'd go for something thick and creamy like creme of nature nourishing conditioner or Herbal essenses replenishing conditioner to help restore your moisture balance.  Make sure you are deep conditioning at least once per week.  Also, your blowdrying twice a week may be aggravating your moisture balance as well.  Blowdrying tends to deplete the hair of much needed moisture.  I'd limit the heat to once a week at the most.Wink
 
I do not know the ingredients of your Soft N Beautiful oil moisturizer, but make sure that mineral oil, lanolin, and petrolatum are not in the top 5 ingredients.  If so, this product is NOT a true moisturizer and will only cause you further dryness.Embarrassed
 
How are you styling your hair each day?
 
Also, make sure that you never relax your hair to solve a breakage problem.  Relaxing does not cure breakage (unless it is manipulation/demarcation line induced breakage).  Relaxing damaged, breaking hair will only aggravate your problems down the road.  Most times, it is merely a result of your hair requiring additional moisture into your relaxer stretch.  You must address the issue behind your breakage before you ever put chemicals on it.Smile  HTH.


Posted By: Phoenix1017
Date Posted: Apr 23 2006 at 10:09pm
Hi Sista!!! Good to see you over here once again!!! I missed you on this side!


Posted By: mizzslick
Date Posted: Apr 23 2006 at 11:59pm
hahaaaa! yeah I haven't been here in a lonnnnnnnng time.  gotta spread my hair forum wings! and  It seems to have changed ALOT format wise since the good ol days LOL.


Posted By: kmydesire
Date Posted: Apr 24 2006 at 3:06am
thanks so much. very informative. I going to get some products tommorrow!


Posted By: Claudie
Date Posted: Apr 24 2006 at 3:34am
Thanks Sistaslick, you are the greatest Clap Thumbs%20Up.  


Posted By: SunnyV
Date Posted: Apr 24 2006 at 5:11am
MizzSlick, Thanks, I will look into purchasing some of the CON Conditioner.


Posted By: mizzslick
Date Posted: Apr 24 2006 at 7:34am
thanks everyone! I hope it gets better for you sunny!


Posted By: SunnyV
Date Posted: Apr 24 2006 at 7:43am
Well, I think I am going to have my hair cut in a Bob style. My hair is just past the shoulders, but it does nothing for me. I think I need it short enough so I can wash, wrap and let air dry. I just do not have luck once it starts to get longer. Long hair does not like me.   If you don't mine sharing, can you give what your hair regime is like.


Posted By: RelaxedDiva
Date Posted: Apr 24 2006 at 8:53am
Thank you so much for the info, mizzslick. Since I only relax and color my hair 2x a year, I don't have significant amount of damage, but would like to use a really good reconstructor that's in the ballpark of mild to moderate. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA


Posted By: bonne
Date Posted: Apr 24 2006 at 11:32am
Thank you so much MizzsilkClap.
Will you please tell me your regime including supplements.How many times do you relaxe, wash, do proteins etc.
Thanks.


Posted By: Priestess
Date Posted: Apr 24 2006 at 11:58am
Yeah, girl Iwas thinking the same thing.  Please give us a peek into your hair regime and product stash.  Big smile
 
Knowledge is power!


Posted By: mizzslick
Date Posted: Apr 24 2006 at 12:37pm
Hey guys!  Thanks so much!  My regimen is in the Welcome and About Me sections (left hand side menu) of my hair album Tongue
 
http://www.fotki.com/sistaslick" rel="no follow - www.fotki.com/sistaslick
 
My album is temporarily open, so feel free to take a peek LOL
 
Originally posted by RelaxedDiva RelaxedDiva wrote:

Thank you so much for the info, mizzslick. Since I only relax and color my hair 2x a year, I don't have significant amount of damage, but would like to use a really good reconstructor that's in the ballpark of mild to moderate. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. TIA
 
Hey girl!  Check the bottom of the initial post.  There are product recommendations for protein conditioners and specialty treatments with strength indicators listed behind them in parenthesis.  For moderate protein my personal


Posted By: Priestess
Date Posted: Apr 24 2006 at 1:45pm
Love your album, Sistaslick.  Smile
 
I love airdrying too, although shrinkage sometimes discourages me in to thinking I don't have as much length as I'd like...  How do you get your hair so straight when you airdry?


Posted By: SunnyV
Date Posted: Apr 24 2006 at 1:45pm
Mizz Slick, Thanks for all the info. Another quest. What do you think of the ORS Aloe Shampoo and Uplifting shampoo?


Posted By: Ms.Sham
Date Posted: Apr 24 2006 at 2:06pm
Mizz,
Omg this is just what I needed! I was using a lot of protein because my hair was breaking off extremely bad, but even after using the protein, my hair was STILL fallin out. I used oil and grease everyday because I noticed my hair was also very dry, but figured I could do nothing else as far as breakage and wondered what the heck was wrong with my hair! After reading your post I finally understood what I was doing wrong and why oil does not solve the problem of moisturizing hair. This helped me so very much so thank you for the info!


Posted By: mizzslick
Date Posted: Apr 24 2006 at 2:24pm
Originally posted by Priestess Priestess wrote:

Love your album, Sistaslick.  Smile
 
I love airdrying too, although shrinkage sometimes discourages me in to thinking I don't have as much length as I'd like...  How do you get your hair so straight when you airdry?
 
Thanks girl!!! My hair dries fairly straight on its own, but my hair is texlaxed so there is still alot of texture still left there.  After a wash, I apply my leave in, a moisturizer and a light coating of oil and then immediately tie my hair down with a satin scarf while it is still damp.  This helps it dry straighter, flatter, and cuts down on the bulk.  Sometimes I put large rollers on the ends hanging from under the scarf to pull it taught as it dries.  This keeps it from drawing up LOL  Me and my scarf are best friends.LOL


Posted By: mizzslick
Date Posted: Apr 24 2006 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by sunnyv sunnyv wrote:

Mizz Slick, Thanks for all the info. Another quest. What do you think of the ORS Aloe Shampoo and Uplifting shampoo?
 
 
I've never tried either of those shampoos, but I have heard good reviews on them.  I'd check it for sulfates (SLS/ALS) though.Smile


Posted By: mizzslick
Date Posted: Apr 24 2006 at 2:27pm
Originally posted by o0oShamo0o o0oShamo0o wrote:

Mizz,
Omg this is just what I needed! I was using a lot of protein because my hair was breaking off extremely bad, but even after using the protein, my hair was STILL fallin out. I used oil and grease everyday because I noticed my hair was also very dry, but figured I could do nothing else as far as breakage and wondered what the heck was wrong with my hair! After reading your post I finally understood what I was doing wrong and why oil does not solve the problem of moisturizing hair. This helped me so very much so thank you for the info!
 
Great! Clap now you can get back on the right track girl!  Good luck!


Posted By: SweetWhispers
Date Posted: Apr 24 2006 at 3:14pm
I really needed the info on moisture- thank you! I love the donut bun as well!


Posted By: Priestess
Date Posted: Apr 24 2006 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by mizzslick mizzslick wrote:

Originally posted by Priestess Priestess wrote:

Love your album, Sistaslick.  Smile
 
I love airdrying too, although shrinkage sometimes discourages me in to thinking I don't have as much length as I'd like...  How do you get your hair so straight when you airdry?
 
Thanks girl!!! My hair dries fairly straight on its own, but my hair is texlaxed so there is still alot of texture still left there.  After a wash, I apply my leave in, a moisturizer and a light coating of oil and then immediately tie my hair down with a satin scarf while it is still damp.  This helps it dry straighter, flatter, and cuts down on the bulk.  Sometimes I put large rollers on the ends hanging from under the scarf to pull it taught as it dries.  This keeps it from drawing up LOL  Me and my scarf are best friends.LOL
 
Oooh, thanks for the tips girl.   Cool  Do you do this a la Syvler2 of LHCF using her scarf method?  I never understood exactly how she secured the rollers.  Do you use self holding rollers?


Posted By: Priestess
Date Posted: Apr 24 2006 at 3:16pm
Originally posted by mizzslick mizzslick wrote:

Originally posted by Priestess Priestess wrote:

Love your album, Sistaslick.  Smile
 
I love airdrying too, although shrinkage sometimes discourages me in to thinking I don't have as much length as I'd like...  How do you get your hair so straight when you airdry?
 
Thanks girl!!! My hair dries fairly straight on its own, but my hair is texlaxed so there is still alot of texture still left there.  After a wash, I apply my leave in, a moisturizer and a light coating of oil and then immediately tie my hair down with a satin scarf while it is still damp.  This helps it dry straighter, flatter, and cuts down on the bulk.  Sometimes I put large rollers on the ends hanging from under the scarf to pull it taught as it dries.  This keeps it from drawing up LOL  Me and my scarf are best friends.LOL
 
Oooh, thanks for the tips girl.   Cool  Do you do this a la Syvler2 of LHCF using her scarf method?  I never understood exactly how she secured the rollers.  Do you use self holding rollers?


Posted By: Priestess
Date Posted: Apr 24 2006 at 3:46pm
Oh Sistaslick, i just took another look at Syvler's album and saw she secured her rollers with clips.  Is that what you do?


Posted By: mizzslick
Date Posted: Apr 24 2006 at 5:15pm

nahhh, I use those super big (long) bobby pins for mine.  I also  pin my hair at the nape to secure.  Kind of like you would do for the last row of hair in a regular rollerset.   I really don't like for the rollers to hang down and swing around while drying b/c I'm always cautious about protecting the fragile ends and length while damp.  I think Sylver does her rollers lower on the length and uses heat.    I don't use heat at all and since my hair is texlaxed, I need to roll more of the length to achieve a more even, straighter appearance.  Smile

 
Most of the time, I do  the ponytail method though because I bun 99% of the time.  Adding the rollers to the ponytail reduces the puff factor I usually get from my texlaxed hair.   


Posted By: bonne
Date Posted: Apr 24 2006 at 6:06pm
Mizzsilk will you plese explain to me what's texlaxer.
Thanks


Posted By: mizzslick
Date Posted: Apr 24 2006 at 9:06pm
oh "texlax" is hair forum slang for a relaxer that isn't processed to 100% straightness but isn't natural.  It is in between a texturizer and a relaxer, hence the word "tex-lax".  Texlaxed hair is intentionally underprocessed.  Mine is texlaxed to about 70%.


Posted By: Irishfemme
Date Posted: Apr 25 2006 at 7:17am
This is great! My hair is shedding...but it started since the day i used MTG....but nice to know it aint breakage!


Posted By: naturallyred
Date Posted: Apr 25 2006 at 7:56am
This is all wonderful info.
 
I wanted to share something with all of you ladies that don't know....Anytime you have a scalp disorder go see a dermatologist, not a cosmetologist.  As someone who is a licensed cosmetologist I can tell you we are not trained to deal with such issues.  I have read a few comments on here stating that their stlyist had no clue abt scalp disorders,  and to that I would say you are correct.......go see a dermatologist.
 
I can remember my first relaxer.  My stylist did not do a scalp analysis.  Within a month or so of rec'g a relaxer to my navel length, virgin hair, I had an erruption of excema to break out on my entire body.  Needless to say I lost all but 2inches of my hair.  I presented this to my stylist at the time & she didn't have a clue.  So guess who I saw.....a dermatologist. 
 
There are a lot of things that you are not taught in Beauty School.  Hopefully you will seek out to find someone who is a qualified stylist...and they do exist.....but remember that if you are presented with any serious scalp issues, go see someone who specializes in issues of the skin.  You can then take what you have learned and share that with your more than competent stylist. 


Posted By: mizzslick
Date Posted: Apr 25 2006 at 11:24am
Originally posted by naturallyred naturallyred wrote:

This is all wonderful info.
 
I wanted to share something with all of you ladies that don't know....Anytime you have a scalp disorder go see a dermatologist, not a cosmetologist.  As someone who is a licensed cosmetologist I can tell you we are not trained to deal with such issues.  I have read a few comments on here stating that their stlyist had no clue abt scalp disorders,  and to that I would say you are correct.......go see a dermatologist.
 
I can remember my first relaxer.  My stylist did not do a scalp analysis.  Within a month or so of rec'g a relaxer to my navel length, virgin hair, I had an erruption of excema to break out on my entire body.  Needless to say I lost all but 2inches of my hair.  I presented this to my stylist at the time & she didn't have a clue.  So guess who I saw.....a dermatologist. 
 
There are a lot of things that you are not taught in Beauty School.  Hopefully you will seek out to find someone who is a qualified stylist...and they do exist.....but remember that if you are presented with any serious scalp issues, go see someone who specializes in issues of the skin.  You can then take what you have learned and share that with your more than competent stylist. 
 
ITA 100% on this one.  Clap  The same with anything else hair related-- if the problem is serious and more than cosmetic, you should definitely seek some medical advice.


Posted By: hunniebk17
Date Posted: Apr 25 2006 at 3:39pm
 
Mizzslick I have a question for you! 
 
My hairs been damaged for a long time and I would like to get an aphogee treatment however I dyed my hair a honey blond color and I want to strip the color off of my hair. My question is can I do both at the same time or should I just get the treatment?


Posted By: mizzslick
Date Posted: Apr 25 2006 at 5:59pm
Originally posted by hunniebk17 hunniebk17 wrote:

 
Mizzslick I have a question for you! 
 
My hairs been damaged for a long time and I would like to get an aphogee treatment however I dyed my hair a honey blond color and I want to strip the color off of my hair. My question is can I do both at the same time or should I just get the treatment?
 
Wow!  I'm not too keen on the ins and outs of hair coloring.Embarrassed  When you say you want to strip the color off your hair--- are you saying you want to re-dye the hair darker? or go even lighter?
 
From looking on my bottle of aphogee there are specific instructions for bleaching  and lifting and depositing tint using this product-- so if that is what you are trying to do-- it is indeed possible.  You would need to follow the instructions to the T doing this-- or simply go to a professional because aphogee and color are no joke.LOL  Being color-treated, you will definitely need the protein from the aphogee though. 
 
For me personally, I would probably  keep the two processes separate and do them within a few days of each other just to be on the safe side.  I would do the protein treatment before I do anything to adjust the color simply b/c chemical processes like color deplete the natural structural protein your hair has.  If you replenish the protein via a treatment first, this will give your hair a little more strength to withstand the color process later on.  This is why I also recommend doing a protein treatment the wash right before you relax your hair.  It gives your hair more protein to work with so that when the relaxer depletes the protein- your hair still has a leg to stand on.Wink


Posted By: SunnyV
Date Posted: Apr 25 2006 at 7:31pm
NaturallyRed, I live in CT and I cannot find a stylist or Salon that gives scalp treatments. etc. I have seen a dermatologist, but I believe it is very hard to have the Stylist recommend a regime, when your condition calls for washing your hair more thatn the typical once a week.

I love this sight and appreciate everyone advice and input. I feel good that there are woman who are equally concern with their hair, because when I talk to my family, they think I am crazy and obsessed with my hair because I want to learn all I can.

So I want to thank everyone for posting all their great hair tips, because I am learning so much.



Posted By: naturallyred
Date Posted: Apr 25 2006 at 7:43pm
What kind of problem are you experiencing?


Posted By: SunnyV
Date Posted: Apr 25 2006 at 7:49pm
I am experiencing shedding and breakage. I also have seborreha.


Posted By: naturallyred
Date Posted: Apr 25 2006 at 8:01pm

Have you heard of tar shampoos?  Creme of Nature use to make a tar shampoo that worked wonder for the scalp.  You will won't to use cortisone or a anti-fungual lotions.  Are you using medicated shampoos? If so what kind and how often?



Posted By: SunnyV
Date Posted: Apr 25 2006 at 8:04pm
Didn;t know CON had a tar shampoo. DOes it make the hair hard? Also, what kind of anti-fungal lotions or cortisone, and how would you use then. The only two I used was Nizrol and Lotrene. Both made my hair feel like straw.


Posted By: naturallyred
Date Posted: Apr 25 2006 at 8:10pm

Creme of nature tar shampoo is great...if you can find it, it use to come in a grey bottle.  Remember that you are treating you scalp.....Hey how often do you shampoo, and how often do you have outbreaks?



Posted By: SunnyV
Date Posted: Apr 25 2006 at 8:23pm
When I am having breakouts, every three to four days. this usually occurs in the colder months. In the warmer months, I can get away with at least once a week.


Posted By: naturallyred
Date Posted: Apr 25 2006 at 8:29pm
Nizoral shampoo is the one that I have used in the past.  I personally use Nioxion products, they work wonders.  I shampoo at least twice a week.  Nioxin has a product especially for the scalp that I will generally apply to my scalp first, then I apply a different conditioner to my hair.  Twice a month I apply a hot oil treatment before I shampoo my hair.  Once a month I will use Redkin's protein treatment.  I also have a prescription from my doctor that helps me out tremendously.


Posted By: naturallyred
Date Posted: Apr 25 2006 at 8:32pm
   That's because of your sebaceous glands are probably more active in the winter months than the summer months.


Posted By: naturallyred
Date Posted: Apr 25 2006 at 8:47pm

There is also Neutrogena t/sal that has salicylic acid in it, and Lamisil AT which will help kill yeast/fungus.  These are abt all I know of.  I don't know of any salons in CT.



Posted By: hunniebk17
Date Posted: Apr 25 2006 at 9:08pm
 MIZZSLICK
Embarrassed When you say you want to strip the color off your hair-- are you saying you want to re-dye the hair darker? or go even lighter?
 
  Im not too sure If I would have to re-dye my hair to make it darker or just have the already existing dye removed some other way although I just found out that stripping the color is very harsh to the hair so, I think I'll  take your advice and just have a protein treatment done first and everything else done later!LOL
 
 


Posted By: miss_westindies
Date Posted: Apr 26 2006 at 8:02am
Thanx for the advice, it always used to confuse me on how to get the right balance between moisture and protein!


Posted By: jen2262
Date Posted: Apr 26 2006 at 3:39pm
MizzSlick,
 
Just wanted to say thank you again for posting this! Clap Specifically, the moisture/oil part, I have been doing this consistently now and the daily  breakage that I normally see has been reduced significantly. My hair was just not getting enough moisture. I also went out and bought some of that S-Curl, its pretty good too. The only thing is that it has a tendency to make my hair real wet and then when it dries its poofy (its basically the equivalent to me airdrying, which is a no no for my hair), so when I apply it I have to really make sure to put some oil in it to make sure that the moisture stays in my hair.  And I only apply it at night, I use Pantene Oil Moisturizer in the day since its lighter, still wet, but lighter. Other than that, its been great for me! I am so happy!  I was once blind, but now I see!! LOL





http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb068_ZNxuk172DGUS" rel="no follow">


Posted By: Priestess
Date Posted: Apr 26 2006 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by jen2262 jen2262 wrote:

MizzSlick,
 
Just wanted to say thank you again for posting this! Clap Specifically, the moisture/oil part, I have been doing this consistently now and the daily  breakage that I normally see has been reduced significantly. My hair was just not getting enough moisture. I also went out and bought some of that S-Curl, its pretty good too. The only thing is that it has a tendency to make my hair real wet and then when it dries its poofy (its basically the equivalent to me airdrying, which is a no no for my hair), so when I apply it I have to really make sure to put some oil in it to make sure that the moisture stays in my hair.  And I only apply it at night, I use Pantene Oil Moisturizer in the day since its lighter, still wet, but lighter. Other than that, its been great for me! I am so happy!  I was once blind, but now I see!! LOL

Hi Jen, I just wanted to share that I always spray S-Curl into my hands and then massage it into my hair instead of just spraying it directly on my hair.  I find that keeps my hair from getting too wet.  HTH!  Wink



http://www.smileycentral.com/?partner=ZSzeb068_ZNxuk172DGUS" rel="no follow">


Posted By: jen2262
Date Posted: Apr 26 2006 at 7:20pm
Thanks Priestess, good tipThumbs Up, I will do.


Posted By: SunnyV
Date Posted: Apr 26 2006 at 7:50pm
    Naturally Red, Do you mind sharing what your doctor prescribe for your scalp. And Thanks I will look into Nioxn.


Posted By: candies
Date Posted: Apr 27 2006 at 7:30am
WOW! Thanks for the info!! Especially the one with the oil after moisturising!
I'm now starting my hair growth journey so this wealth of information will definately be put to good use!Smile
 
Also, I just checked out ur album! Ur hair is so pretty!  I'm definately going to try out the protective styles! I used to think that protective styles were soooo ugly, but urs with the stick & th bob were really cute!  Also we've perfected the sock/donut bun in the caribbean years now eh! lolTongue
 
Thanks again! :)


Posted By: mizzslick
Date Posted: Apr 27 2006 at 11:19am
Thank you so much candies!  I appreciate that!Hug


Posted By: MissLuxurious
Date Posted: Apr 28 2006 at 8:50am
Hey Sista, it's good to see you back (MissBDA/MissBermuda). This is great information, Thanks a lot!


Posted By: mizzslick
Date Posted: Apr 28 2006 at 1:10pm
Hey girl!!!!!  Seems like its been a lonnnnnnnng time since I've run into you!LOL


Posted By: Priestess
Date Posted: Apr 28 2006 at 2:57pm
Originally posted by MissLuxurious MissLuxurious wrote:

Hey Sista, it's good to see you back (MissBDA/MissBermuda). This is great information, Thanks a lot!
 
 
 
Hi MissLuxurious, I didn't know you were Miss Bermuda of LHCF fame.  How are you?  Do you still live in Bermuda?  I got married there last year and LOVED IT!
 
 
 


Posted By: MissLuxurious
Date Posted: Apr 28 2006 at 11:35pm

Hi Sista! Long time no chat!!!!! I see the hair is more gorgeous than ever!!! Thumbs Up Clap I love it!

 
Hi Priestess: Yes, I am!!! I couldn't log on under my old screen name here, so I had to get a new one! I'm great, thanks for asking! I'm between there and ATL. Wow, you got married in Bermuda!? It must have been beautiful! Big smile


Posted By: spilgrim
Date Posted: Apr 29 2006 at 9:59am
Hi! I am nwe to the message board but I have read you journal and I think you would be the best person to ask. Mizani work really well with my hair and moved to VA last year August I could not find a licensed professional that uses Mizani down hair and had to resort to using dark and lovely. Which essentially destroyed my hair it fell out in clumps. It was a nightmare. Soo when I went back home to visit . I saw my stylist and she told me that I had to cut my damged ends off.Which was all of my hair. I did it and decided to leave the relaxers alone until I found someone to do the Mizani perm. I have been sporting braids for the past eight months . I have been referred to a stylist down here . I don't know if my hair is ready or if I 'm ready again. I know that I can't really maintain the natural look but short hair does not compliment me. I really would appreciate your advice since you have beautiful healthy hair.Oh sorry by the way my hair type is 4a. Thank you so much


Posted By: quenquen
Date Posted: Apr 30 2006 at 9:40am
Thanks again Sista :)  Glad to see your back


Posted By: Champagne_Wishe
Date Posted: May 01 2006 at 1:52pm

Bumping because of the good info.

 



Posted By: jdblossom
Date Posted: May 14 2006 at 2:05am

Bumping Big smile 

This is great info!!!


Posted By: LouLou28
Date Posted: May 14 2006 at 8:33am
thank you for the information in this thread. After following the info I no longer have mushy hair Smile.


Posted By: czdm
Date Posted: May 15 2006 at 1:22pm
you have summed up in a few paragraphs what took me forever to grasp.  best advice for new ones on their journey to healthy hair. thank you


Posted By: Night_jasmine
Date Posted: May 15 2006 at 8:56pm
wow thanks for the tip


Posted By: et moi
Date Posted: May 18 2006 at 11:50am
Hello,

Thsi is interesting - I just realized that my problem is shedding, not breakage - the hairs are long, with the bulb attached.

My question is, what can I do about the shedding?  I have a dry scalp - starts itching and flaking about 3 days after I wash my hair.  Could that be the cause of the shedding?  Will putting grease on my scalp help control it? I've been using Keracare Dry and Itchy Scalp Shampoo, but it doesn't seemto be helping.

Thanks.


Posted By: Ms. highlight
Date Posted: May 31 2006 at 2:55pm
i have the same problem so i'm bumping


Posted By: BabyAfro
Date Posted: Jun 01 2006 at 4:41am
Can someone (a moderator) make this subject a sticky? Pretty please?


Posted By: wonderstar
Date Posted: Jun 01 2006 at 9:27am
Can anyone please list some other good moisturising products not mentioned in the thread? Don't mean to be a pest but where I live the variety isn't large and I have to pay like double price.
 
Apparently all the products i'm using now are protein products Cry. I would like to rotate protein and moisture on a weekly basis. Oh and please name good moisturising co-wash products which are inexpensive. I use V05 but like the thread it's protein.
 
Thanks


Posted By: 2tempted
Date Posted: Jun 03 2006 at 6:31pm
Queston is it safe to mix products? I have purchased the nexxus therappe moisturizing shampoo and nexxus humectress moisturizing conditioner. I wanted to use the ORS Olive Oil along with it.
 
I also have a 3pak from Nioxin that includes: cleanser, scalp therapy, and a weightless reconstructor mask. I don't intend to use the nioxin and nexxus at the same time. My mom purchased the nioxin for me because my hair has recently staring shedding and has become thin in different spots.
 
Is one better than the other?


Posted By: BioChemBabe
Date Posted: Jun 04 2006 at 1:28am
Originally posted by mizzslick mizzslick wrote:

Oil. A light coating of oil on top will help seal the moisture inside. Oils are made of large molecules. These molecules are too large to absorbed by the hair strand. If you use oils without a moisturizer or before one, the oil will seal the moisture out of the hair strand and lead to eventual dryness.



I just wanted to note that the statement(s) above taken from the original post is not true for coconut oil and it might not be true for other oils as well.


-------

Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage.

Rele AS, Mohile RB.

Research and Development Department, Nature Care Division, Marico Industries Ltd., Mumbai, India.

Previously published results showed that both in vitro and in vivo coconut oil (CNO) treatments prevented combing damage of various hair types. Using the same methodology, an attempt was made to study the properties of mineral oil and sunflower oil on hair. Mineral oil (MO) was selected because it is extensively used in hair oil formulations in India, because it is non-greasy in nature, and because it is cheaper than vegetable oils like coconut and sunflower oils. The study was extended to sunflower oil (SFO) because it is the second most utilized base oil in the hair oil industry on account of its non-freezing property and its odorlessness at ambient temperature. As the aim was to cover different treatments, and the effect of these treatments on various hair types using the above oils, the number of experiments to be conducted was a very high number and a technique termed as the Taguchi Design of Experimentation was used. The findings clearly indicate the strong impact that coconut oil application has to hair as compared to application of both sunflower and mineral oils. Among three oils, coconut oil was the only oil found to reduce the protein loss remarkably for both undamaged and damaged hair when used as a pre-wash and post-wash grooming product. Both sunflower and mineral oils do not help at all in reducing the protein loss from hair. This difference in results could arise from the composition of each of these oils. Coconut oil, being a triglyceride of lauric acid (principal fatty acid), has a high affinity for hair proteins and, because of its low molecular weight and straight linear chain, is able to penetrate inside the hair shaft. Mineral oil, being a hydrocarbon, has no affinity for proteins and therefore is not able to penetrate and yield better results. In the case of sunflower oil, although it is a triglyceride of linoleic acid, because of its bulky structure due to the presence of double bonds, it does not penetrate the fiber, consequently resulting in no favorable impact on protein loss.


Posted By: sweet_ambrosia
Date Posted: Jun 04 2006 at 5:00pm
Originally posted by wonderstar88 wonderstar88 wrote:

Can anyone please list some other good moisturising products not mentioned in the thread? Don't mean to be a pest but where I live the variety isn't large and I have to pay like double price.
 
Apparently all the products i'm using now are protein products Cry. I would like to rotate protein and moisture on a weekly basis. Oh and please name good moisturising co-wash products which are inexpensive. I use V05 but like the thread it's protein.
 
Thanks
 
Not all V05 Conditioners contain protein. The Moisture Milk formulas contain soy milk proteins. It's a very light protein, which can be used on a regular basis. So it's not something to be cautious over.
 
White Rain and Suave Conditioners work well for Co Washes, both are moisturizing and inexpensive.
 
HTH


Posted By: crystal-jay
Date Posted: Jun 05 2006 at 8:59am
Mizzslick, this thread has truly saved my hair!! Thanks to you I'm giving my hair the love that it's been craving for so long lol! And after reading your info, I sorted through my hair products and I couldn't believe how many of them had Petrolatum, Mineral Oil....I laughed at myself and said no wonder it wasn't doing a THANG to my head! I've restocked on good products, and I've put my Aphogee to rest since I now know that I need MUCH more moisture than protein. THANKS AGAIN! Clap


Posted By: wonderstar
Date Posted: Jun 05 2006 at 11:09am
Thanks Sweet Ambrosia for clearing that up.


Posted By: mizzslick
Date Posted: Jun 05 2006 at 1:25pm
 


Posted By: mizzslick
Date Posted: Jun 05 2006 at 1:40pm
Originally posted by BioChemBabe BioChemBabe wrote:

Originally posted by mizzslick mizzslick wrote:

Oil. A light coating of oil on top will help seal the moisture inside. Oils are made of large molecules. These molecules are too large to absorbed by the hair strand. If you use oils without a moisturizer or before one, the oil will seal the moisture out of the hair strand and lead to eventual dryness.



I just wanted to note that the statement(s) above taken from the original post is not true for coconut oil and it might not be true for other oils as well.


-------

Effect of mineral oil, sunflower oil, and coconut oil on prevention of hair damage.

Rele AS, Mohile RB.

Research and Development Department, Nature Care Division, Marico Industries Ltd., Mumbai, India.

Previously published results showed that both in vitro and in vivo coconut oil (CNO) treatments prevented combing damage of various hair types. Using the same methodology, an attempt was made to study the properties of mineral oil and sunflower oil on hair. Mineral oil (MO) was selected because it is extensively used in hair oil formulations in India, because it is non-greasy in nature, and because it is cheaper than vegetable oils like coconut and sunflower oils. The study was extended to sunflower oil (SFO) because it is the second most utilized base oil in the hair oil industry on account of its non-freezing property and its odorlessness at ambient temperature. As the aim was to cover different treatments, and the effect of these treatments on various hair types using the above oils, the number of experiments to be conducted was a very high number and a technique termed as the Taguchi Design of Experimentation was used. The findings clearly indicate the strong impact that coconut oil application has to hair as compared to application of both sunflower and mineral oils. Among three oils, coconut oil was the only oil found to reduce the protein loss remarkably for both undamaged and damaged hair when used as a pre-wash and post-wash grooming product. Both sunflower and mineral oils do not help at all in reducing the protein loss from hair. This difference in results could arise from the composition of each of these oils. Coconut oil, being a triglyceride of lauric acid (principal fatty acid), has a high affinity for hair proteins and, because of its low molecular weight and straight linear chain, is able to penetrate inside the hair shaft. Mineral oil, being a hydrocarbon, has no affinity for proteins and therefore is not able to penetrate and yield better results. In the case of sunflower oil, although it is a triglyceride of linoleic acid, because of its bulky structure due to the presence of double bonds, it does not penetrate the fiber, consequently resulting in no favorable impact on protein loss.
 
 Remember, the cuticle is not one layer thick-- some sources say there are as many as 15 layers to the cuticle in some individuals. While your oil (particularly if its an essential oil) may be able to get past a few of these layers, they will not be able to penetrate layers in the way the water from a waterbased moisturizer would.  Water molecules are able to penetrate the cuticle layers deeper than oils because of the comparative size of the molecules.  This is why oils are better for sealing, that and the fact that oils are chemically  hydroPHOBIC substances.  They repel water.   Essential oils are special and will penetrate deeper than heavier conventional oils (which typically do not penetrate at all)-- but nothing can beat water at getting deep into the strand. Water molecules and essential oils would cross easiest, and conventional oils would be last. Molecular size matters. A similar instance occurs with hair coloring. This is why color rinses do not last as long as permanent colors. Dye molecules are finer in permanent color formulations and are able to penetrate the shaft on a deeper level. Rinses will penetrate a few layers, but the bulk of the color still remains on the outermost cuticle layers.

 
Whether or not an oil can penetrate a few layers isn't really the point.  The issue here is moisture.  Penetrating or not, oils do not hydrate the hair, and therefore cannot "moisturize." They work against moisturization because they are chemically hydrophobic (water repelling)- not hydrophilic (water accepting). They will soften and increase the pliability of the outer cuticle layersbut the ability to add moisture is a property that is water specific. For getting moisture to the strand, you'd need to get the moisturizing product on FIRST.


Posted By: millie
Date Posted: Jun 06 2006 at 1:44pm

Mizzslick thanks so much for this intelligent advice.  I'm fairly new to the hair care regimen.  my hairdresser retired Dec 05 and i thought it was terrible. but since then i have been forced to learn about my hair. i have spent an awful lot of money on products because i have been working in the dark. with your info i feel i can make better choices.  my hair breaks easily everytime i put my hand through it. it has got to the point where i am too scared to use a comb.  even when i put the pre conddition on i experience breakage.  anyway i think what my hair needs is more structure but i also need to be careful how much i use. i used motions leave in cond yesterday and my hair lost its shine and was a little hard. however i did notice that there was hardly any breakage.  I would appreciate your comment on this.  also what is a moisturizer. i know what a conditioner and leave-in is but is a moisturizer somethiing you leave in or wash out? And ndoes anyone know where products like Redken,and Philip MITCHELL fit into this advice?

anyway once again thanks for the superb post  


Posted By: mizzslick
Date Posted: Jun 06 2006 at 3:19pm
Hey girl! To help a little more,  I'll need to know more about the specific products you are using in your current regimen, Millie.  I sent you a pm with other questions as well  Smile


Posted By: SeaChelle
Date Posted: Jun 06 2006 at 10:47pm
Thanks so much for postin this!!!!
 
Shoot, you should write a book!!!


Posted By: nadine1977canad
Date Posted: Jun 07 2006 at 1:03am

Thank you!!! Tongue

I was about to come in here and ask for help cause I noticed lately Long long strands of hair that is stretch  with no bulb at the start. I thought to myself i might cut down on protein for awhile. Plus my hair is very very soft and light when wet.  So now you set me straight big time. I copy pasted this to my documents so that i can look back on it when in problem. I have to admit i tend to do more  moisturising deep conditionning then the protein one. Well that is going to change this week. I will increase my protein in the hair.
 
 
Thanx a millionHug
 
HAVE EVER SEEN OR TRIED THIS SHAMPOO? i WISH I COULD TRY THIS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSzV6aBfuFc" rel="no follow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSzV6aBfuFc


Posted By: nadine1977canad
Date Posted: Jun 07 2006 at 1:03am

Thank you!!! Tongue

I was about to come in here and ask for help cause I noticed lately Long long strands of hair that is stretch  with no bulb at the start. I thought to myself i might cut down on protein for awhile. Plus my hair is very very soft and light when wet.  So now you set me straight big time. I copy pasted this to my documents so that i can look back on it when in problem. I have to admit i tend to do more  moisturising deep conditionning then the protein one. Well that is going to change this week. I will increase my protein in the hair.
 
 
Thanx a millionHug
 
HAVE EVER SEEN OR TRIED THIS SHAMPOO? i WISH I COULD TRY THIS: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSzV6aBfuFc" rel="no follow - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSzV6aBfuFc


Posted By: lexelle
Date Posted: Jun 07 2006 at 9:19am

Mizzslick,

I just wanted to say thank you for posting this info. I originally read it a few weeks ago and after reading it i was able to  realize that i had been over-moisturizing my hair. this help post help me better organize my hair products and helped to re-kick start my hair care goals in a more focused manner.  

So i wanted to say thanks. I will definitely be looking out for more infomation packed threadsThumbs Up
 
 
lexelle


Posted By: loni
Date Posted: Jun 09 2006 at 10:12pm
How can this post be made a stickie at the top?  Important info to know.


Posted By: millie
Date Posted: Jun 10 2006 at 5:54am
I just wanted everyone to know that thanks to Mizzslick my hair has transformed in a matter of days.  I had no idea that my hair was actually thirsty.  I was doing everything i thought was right but the leave in conditioner i had been using simply WASN'T a moisturizer because it contained petrolatum and mineral oil as primary ingredients.
 
So due to lack of funds i made my own much CHEAPER version of a moisturiser. I went to the chemist bought some purified water and glycerine.  Mixed them together and hey presto i have a wonderful water based moisturiser. to seal i'm using the Body Shops Hemp body butter (it works a treat on my skin so I thought i would give it a go on my hair. we'll see in a few months if this was not such a good idea).  In addition i use virgin organic coconut oil.
 
i was suffering with breakage to the point that i was scared to use my comb.  I can report very little breakage so far. My hair is full and soft like a cloud.
 
Clearly this wont suit everyone because i have natural hair, don't straighten and dont mind curls.  But give it a go if you're in need of moisture.  you'll also save a fortune.Smile
 
Thanks Mizzslick and everyone else for the info you share. 


Posted By: mizzslick
Date Posted: Jun 11 2006 at 9:46pm
Clap yay!!!! I am glad your situation is turning around!  Once you get used to balancing yourself out it will be like second nature! Keep in touch!Big smile


Posted By: sweet78tam
Date Posted: Jun 11 2006 at 10:15pm
Hello Mizzslick
Under Protein Moisturizers
There is Profective Mega Growth and Healthy Ends
Do you need to use both of then together or just one?
Like I only use the Profective Mega Growth, should I use Healthy Ends too


Posted By: mizzslick
Date Posted: Jun 12 2006 at 12:04pm
Now that I am looking at it, I actually meant to put Profectiv Break Free-- not the Healthy EndsLOL I haven't tried the Healthy ends yet so I can't comment on that one, but ingredient wise it still reads as protein moisturizer.  But for whether you need both, I was going to say that you can use either one of these to meet your needs.  I just put them together on one line out of laziness.  No need for both unless you want them. Big smile 
 
The consistency of the  MegaGrowth is much thicker than the Break Free, almost like a butter-- so if you have fine hair, you may find that the megagrowth puts too much weight on it.  I'd recommend the Break Free for those with fine hair, or those who just do not want a heavy moisturizing product.
 
The same with the Cantu products-- the Grow Strong moisturizer is heavier than the Break Cure.


Posted By: E1LEWIS
Date Posted: Jun 12 2006 at 1:42pm
So, Mizzclick, what do you think I should do while I have braids in? I have been using the Crown and Glory technique and have been using Infusium leave in conditiioner w/ African Braid spray.
 
What do you think about that?


Posted By: mizzslick
Date Posted: Jun 12 2006 at 3:19pm
Originally posted by E1LEWIS E1LEWIS wrote:

So, Mizzclick, what do you think I should do while I have braids in? I have been using the Crown and Glory technique and have been using Infusium leave in conditiioner w/ African Braid spray.
 
What do you think about that?
 
Hey girl!  I think this is a healthy balance of both protein (infusium) and moisture (the braid spray) for your braids. Big smile Spray type moisturizers are really the best for braids and other styles where you can't really get to your hair.  Have you mixed the two together?  As long as you are balancing them out, you should be fine.  Your hair will probably want the moisture more often than the protein-- and since Infusium is a relatively hard protein leave in, diluting it in water and using it perhaps every 4-5 days, or once  a week may be better.  I wouldn't use Infusium daily. Embarrassed  Keeping your hair hydrated and moisturized are musts while in braids, and the Crown N Glory method really takes this into account. Wink You should be fine!


Posted By: sweet78tam
Date Posted: Jun 12 2006 at 5:54pm
Thanks for all the good info
I actually was thinking about using Break Free


Posted By: mizzslick
Date Posted: Jun 12 2006 at 9:50pm
The break free is really good.  Smells like candy, and is very light! Thumbs Up


Posted By: millie
Date Posted: Jun 13 2006 at 5:21am
Mizzslick you've been very helpful already but i was wondering whether it would be a good idea to list moisturizing ingredients and protein ingredients. that way people can judge for themselves whether the product they are using is more protein based or moisturising based.Smile


Posted By: mizzslick
Date Posted: Jun 13 2006 at 3:50pm
I think thats a great idea millie!   I'll try to update the original post, but it'll take me a lil while though LOL


Posted By: wonderstar
Date Posted: Jun 13 2006 at 7:49pm
Good point millie. I'll be looking for updates. (I just wanted to bump this post)Tongue.


Posted By: E1LEWIS
Date Posted: Jun 14 2006 at 8:12am
Thanks alot, Mizzclick.  The owner of growafrohairlong.com said that I should dilute the Infusium with water but I didn't do it.  Now, I am using Infusium 23 Original Leave-In Conditioner, African Royal exta strength Leav-In conditioner and African Royal Braid Spray.

The lady said not to use any moisture based products which is what I did a couple of times; mixing Motions moisturizer w/ Infusium because she said it wil matt the hair.

I have 3c hair and I was afraid my hair will be dry when I take the braids out.  Do you think I am doing enough to keep my hair in good shape?


Posted By: E1LEWIS
Date Posted: Jun 14 2006 at 8:14am
And I mixed all of the leave-in conditioners and moisturizers together.   What do you think about taking protein supplements or Horse and Tail pills from GNC.  I want something that will promote more growth quickly.  How can I get 2 inches a month.  I want waist length hair quickly.LOL

And also, if your growth cycle is 5-6 years long, will the cycle end if you trick your hair into growing more inches per month.  Like, if the average growth is 1/2 inch per month and you grow 2 inches per month then that is 24 inches per year opposed to 12. 12x5=60 inches and after 60 inches if you are growing 20-24 inches per year does your hair stop growing.

I hope I made sense.Confused


Posted By: mizzslick
Date Posted: Jun 14 2006 at 5:10pm
Originally posted by E1LEWIS E1LEWIS wrote:

Thanks alot, Mizzclick.  The owner of growafrohairlong.com said that I should dilute the Infusium with water but I didn't do it.  Now, I am using Infusium 23 Original Leave-In Conditioner, African Royal exta strength Leav-In conditioner and African Royal Braid Spray.

The lady said not to use any moisture based products which is what I did a couple of times; mixing Motions moisturizer w/ Infusium because she said it wil matt the hair.

I have 3c hair and I was afraid my hair will be dry when I take the braids out.  Do you think I am doing enough to keep my hair in good shape?
 
She said no moisture based products? Confused  Are you certain?  The braid spray, in this case, is the moisture source.Embarrassed  And again, please dilute the iInfusium or switch to the turquoise/teal label one (Moisturizing formula).  It is still protein, but a lighter version.  The orignal formula, brown label is the heaviest protein formula.
 
Your hair will not be dry if you keep it moisturized.  Your braid spray will do that for you. Big smile


Posted By: mizzslick
Date Posted: Jun 14 2006 at 5:15pm
Originally posted by E1LEWIS E1LEWIS wrote:

And I mixed all of the leave-in conditioners and moisturizers together.   What do you think about taking protein supplements or Horse and Tail pills from GNC.  I want something that will promote more growth quickly.  How can I get 2 inches a month.  I want waist length hair quickly.LOL

And also, if your growth cycle is 5-6 years long, will the cycle end if you trick your hair into growing more inches per month.  Like, if the average growth is 1/2 inch per month and you grow 2 inches per month then that is 24 inches per year opposed to 12. 12x5=60 inches and after 60 inches if you are growing 20-24 inches per year does your hair stop growing.

I hope I made sense.Confused
 

Well, I personally do not believe in . . . or promote speedy growth products, pills, oils, creams, vitamins, etc. Embarrassed The length of your growth cycles, and the amount your hair will grow each month are hormonally controlled processes and depend heavily on your own DNA.  The average healthy humanacross all racial boundaries-- can expect of growth per month.  

 
I always tell people that growth happens for us at the ends of the hair.  Too much emphasis is placed on the scalp.  The scalp is doing its jobyour hair is always growing!  We are the ones who fall short.  You can ask anyone who feels driven to relax every so  many weeks! LOL It is definitely growing!Big smile  It is the retention of the ends that prevents us from ever seeing this growth. If you see someone with brastrap length or waist length hair--- those ends are at least 3-4 years old.    Once you maximize your ability to retain the ends--- you will see the growth. 

 

I do believe that a healthy body overall will produce the healthiest hair possible in the best time.  A well balanced diet, an active healthy lifestyleall of this together will improve your ability to grow hair.  This will still, however, depend on what your body is genetically predisposed for.  If your genetic maximum is or 1 inch per monthnothing you do will ever give you the 2 inches a month you desire.  Nothing will send you surging past your genetic maximum- but a healthy lifestyle will help you meet it.  With the hair growth thing, patience is probably the one thing that every regimen must have in common.  Patience and diligence.Smile

 

For the second part of your question--- Your growth cycle is only time based.  Your hair does not stop growing at a certain length--- but at a certain time.  If your growth phase is 4 years and you shave all your hair off at 3 years and 364 daysyour hair is still going to drop on that 4 year mark.  If you grow your hair out to its maximum in that 4 year periodit will still drop then.  It doesnt matter how long your hair is at 4 years, it will shed.  Your job is to make the most of how ever long you have!



Posted By: E1LEWIS
Date Posted: Jun 14 2006 at 7:11pm

Thanks MissClick again for helping out because I read some posts that certain vitamins can increase hair growth and one lady on LCHF forum said her hair grew 2 inches from a high protein diet.

 
 



Print Page | Close Window