Print Page | Close Window

So I made my first shealoe...

Printed From: Black Hair Media Forum
Category: Natural Hair Care
Forum Name: Homemade Hair Recipes
Forum Description: Discussion on HomeMade Hair Recipes.
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=215482
Printed Date: Oct 18 2018 at 4:15pm

Topic: So I made my first shealoe...
Posted By: hipsterdryad
Subject: So I made my first shealoe...
Date Posted: Sep 20 2009 at 6:44pm
Around 2 cups of shea butter, 1 cup of aloe, a few drops of tea tree oil, 2 tablespoons of vatika oil, a teaspoon of my last of Oyin Brown Sugar Pomade, and just a few drops of vegetable glycerine.

I whip and whip and whip, all seems fair...and when I'm done, the mixture is "sweating" and the aloe is coming out in goops. So, defeated, I scoop the mixture into 2 containers and throw 'em at the back of the fridge, never to look at 'em for a while. For all I know, they'll make a rich body lotion.

*pout*

Replies:
Posted By: natural girl
Date Posted: Sep 20 2009 at 6:50pm
hipster aloe is a very stubborn thing. It MUST have an emulsifier to combine with oils. Yes, it will always sweat, in an attempt to be removed from anything that tries to attach to it. Been there done that!

Date Posted: Sep 20 2009 at 6:56pm
I just read that honey is a natural emulsifier. Ooh. What dost thou think? I have no clue where to buy lecithin or anything like that...

Date Posted: Sep 20 2009 at 7:00pm
lecithin you can find in your local hippy shop. the body builders use it to make their icky power drinks.

I don't believe honey is powerful enough to bind aloe to anything. No way. Aloe is no joke.

Date Posted: Sep 20 2009 at 7:04pm
Well, I'm off to check at my health foods store. Will keep you updated.

Date Posted: Sep 20 2009 at 7:12pm
Do that. Before you try again with lecithin be sure to view Desaundrea's vids on YT. She goes in uber detail about emulsifiers. Good luck!

Date Posted: Sep 20 2009 at 7:31pm
one more thing hipster, that bad batch is fixable. It's a matter of reheating it over a double boiler, and adding a couple of your ingredients and your emulsifier. Don't throw it out just yet. Desaundrea has a vid on fixing jacked up batches of shealoe as well.

Shealoe is tricky. Good luck.

Date Posted: Sep 20 2009 at 7:35pm
Thank you ma'am. I'm about to rinse off my bowl, reheat and add the lecithin (it came in granule form - is that ok?).

Thanks again. :)

Date Posted: Sep 20 2009 at 7:40pm
NO NO NO NO GRANULES!!! You need liquid. The granules have to be heated and melted. I have it and haven't tried it yet but you CANNOT add straight. You will make your first disaster seem tame compared to this!

Date Posted: Sep 20 2009 at 7:44pm
Originally posted by natural girl natural girl wrote:

NO NO NO NO GRANULES!!! You need liquid. The granules have to be heated and melted. I have it and haven't tried it yet but you CANNOT add straight. You will make your first disaster seem tame compared to this!

The only liquid form were in capsules and they were expensive. *sigh* Cry

Date Posted: Sep 20 2009 at 7:51pm
well then, you have to find a way to melt those granules down and they are hard as rock!

Date Posted: Sep 20 2009 at 7:58pm
Originally posted by natural girl natural girl wrote:

well then, you have to find a way to melt those granules down and they are hard as rock!

Will do. Maybe not now - got homework, but later on.

Date Posted: Sep 20 2009 at 8:08pm
just curious, since you already had shealoe, why were you making it again? I see in your OP you used a cup of shealoe.

Date Posted: Sep 20 2009 at 8:19pm
Whoops, that was a typo. It was shea butter. aloe vera! :)

Posted By: MizzBrit
Date Posted: Sep 22 2009 at 10:22pm
i was planning on making shaylow one day
but NVM!

Posted By: nathairdoll
Date Posted: Dec 28 2009 at 12:38pm
Bump

Posted By: marica_
Date Posted: Feb 10 2010 at 12:16pm
Have you try  shea butter mix? It is good for the hair and the body. Take a look at my site to learn more http://www.sheabutterskincare.webs.com" rel="no follow - http://www.sheabutterskincare.webs.com

Posted By: misjaghuar
Date Posted: Mar 13 2010 at 2:00pm
i just bought mine from LOTIONCRAFTERS.

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Jun 25 2014 at 11:57pm
I've never heard of shealoe now I want to try it....I love aloe vera, and shea butter is nice too

Posted By: William Hsu 2014
Date Posted: Sep 21 2014 at 10:58pm
really works ? Ima gonna make one too lol

Posted By: CammiCutie
Date Posted: Oct 24 2014 at 2:45am
shealoeSmile fresh for me

Print Page | Close Window