Forum Name: Natural Hair Care
Forum Description: General Discussions on Natural Hair Care
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=211334
Printed Date: Aug 17 2018 at 9:35pm

Topic: Who twists with gel?
Posted By: Napp
Subject: Who twists with gel?
Date Posted: Aug 29 2009 at 9:29am
I never liked twists with gel because it made my hair look weird. Plus i could not rinse my hair or cowash as often as i would like to. Anywhoo i recently tried twisting with gel and i love it. i have no frizz and rejuvenating the twists with water doesnt give me much frizz either(its still early). usually by day 3 I HAVE to retwist because my hair just look raggedy. i am very pleased. i used a mix of infuium 23,duotex and water as my leave in and use eco styler with oilve oil.

I think twists with just moisturizer or a conditioner is best for the summer time because i take alot of showers and just have extra time but during school time using gel is better because i dont have to wet my hair everyday or spend too much  time fussing with it during the week.

Im going to try to go for a week without retwisting. Mom is just going to have to deal.

Ideally i would keep this set of twists until december. i hate parting and parting over again.

Replies:
Posted By: RoxieDream
Date Posted: Aug 29 2009 at 9:40am
i just have a question not related to the twists .... do you like the Ecostyler with Olive Oil?? I almost picked up a jar in CVS the other day but i'm wondering if it's better than the clear one?? 

Posted By: GeminiSun
Date Posted: Aug 29 2009 at 11:15am
I just recently started twisting with gel about a month ago and I really like it. i find that the gel really helps to cut down on the frizz. I've been very much "anti-gel" for years and i was really just trying it out so that i could use up the old stuff in my cabinet... now I'm a believer! Love it.

Posted By: laz22girl
Date Posted: Aug 29 2009 at 1:29pm
I just rebraided my sister's hair...today I used gel and it's much less fuzzy. Last week I didn't use any gel and she was a poof ball. Hopefully the gel will help the braids last longer than a week!

Date Posted: Aug 29 2009 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by RoxieDream RoxieDream wrote:

i just have a question not related to the twists .... do you like the Ecostyler with Olive Oil?? I almost picked up a jar in CVS the other day but i'm wondering if it's better than the clear one?? 

i really like it.Thumbs%20Up i like it better than the clear it dosent dry as crispy. and it smells 100x better than all the others. the others make me want to barf. it dosent smell like rainbows and sunshine but its very bearable and light. I havent used it to wear my hair out but it defined my curl pattern very well. i can't wait to do some more experimenting with diffrent product combos but ill wait until next week

Posted By: aangel247
Date Posted: Aug 29 2009 at 7:52pm
I HAVE to use gel or they will not stay twisted...my hair has no grip even though its so damn thickLOL

Posted By: OnFiya
Date Posted: Aug 29 2009 at 10:44pm
I used the clear eco styler to do my twist once and hated it. My twist shrunk so much and it looked weird when I took it down for the twistout. Maybe I used to much, I dunno but I gotta figure out another way.my twist use to hold so well with just shea butter, those days are so gone.

Posted By: OnFiya
Date Posted: Aug 29 2009 at 10:45pm
I used the clear eco styler to do my twist once and hated it. My twist shrunk so much and it looked weird when I took it down for the twistout. Maybe I used to much, I dunno but I gotta figure out another way.my twist use to hold so well with just shea butter and water, those days are so gone.

Posted By: tchaueua
Date Posted: Aug 29 2009 at 10:54pm
i do twist outs and i really dont like gel.  I mean the gel makes it look good the first day but i cant stand it for more than one day.  My hair feels dry and I think my hair started to look dull and raggedy.

I did did a twist out for a whole week!!  That's a personal best, lol.  And i think it is because I didnt use any gel at all this time.  I just made sure to moisturize before I went to bed and tied my hair down.  In the morning I moisturized again and fluffled the hair and I was ready to go.

When I used gel, the next day the hair would be so dry and dull but w/o my hair had a nice shine, was nice and pliable.  so i am off the ecostyler.

Posted By: NubQue757
Date Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 1:51pm
Yes, I use ORS, it makes my twists look so much better and more healthy looking.

Posted By: EPITOME
Date Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 3:20pm
yup i use gel. i use taliaha black or whatever her name is gel. all natural ingredients. loves it.

Posted By: lashon
Date Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 7:05pm
I used IC Fantasia to do some twists and I loved it.

Posted By: Mel1804
Date Posted: Aug 30 2009 at 8:20pm
I used to twist with Blended Beauty's Happy Nappy Styles but it would never last more than 3 days. Last week, I used ORS Lock & Twist gel for the first time and I love it. It lasts longer and looks better.

Posted By: loolalooh
Date Posted: Aug 31 2009 at 9:21am
Question:

1. Are y'all twisting on wet or dry hair? 

2. How much gel are you using?

TIA!

Date Posted: Sep 01 2009 at 4:54pm
Originally posted by Niik Niik wrote:

loo, i usually twist on damp hair that i've let air dry for a couple of hours (my hair takes forever to dry) in a butterfly clip.  it usually is a little stretched by the time i start twisting.

as for how much, i really never pay attention. i just dip my finger straight in and out and use whatever is there. after i finish twisting i smooth over the twist to gather up the excess and add it to the next section of hair.

Thanks much, Niik!!  I like twisting on stretched hair, so maybe I'll try your method.  I was worried about the gel making my hair shrink up too much.

Posted By: Mel1804
Date Posted: Sep 01 2009 at 8:58pm

loo, i usually twist on damp hair that i've let air dry for a couple of hours (my hair takes forever to dry) in a butterfly clip.  it usually is a little stretched by the time i start twisting.

as for how much, i really never pay attention. i just dip my finger straight in and out and use whatever is there. after i finish twisting i smooth over the twist to gather up the excess and add it to the next section of hair.
I do the same thing.

Posted By: natural girl
Date Posted: Sep 01 2009 at 9:28pm
I only twist with homemade FSG. Can't imagine anything else. Used to use ORS loc & twist gel and others. But flaxseed is a gift from the gods, I tell ya. Nothing more than that for me and I'm good to go. On day three of my twistout, and each day is better. Love this stuff.

Posted By: OnMyJourney
Date Posted: Sep 01 2009 at 11:09pm

Originally posted by natural girl natural girl wrote:

I only twist with homemade FSG. Can't imagine anything else. Used to use ORS loc & twist gel and others. But flaxseed is a gift from the gods, I tell ya. Nothing more than that for me and I'm good to go. On day three of my twistout, and each day is better. Love this stuff.

I have told myself a million times that I'm going to make some FSG and I've YET to do it. CryCry I'm such a slacker sometimes. Ouch

Posted By: NubQue757
Date Posted: Sep 03 2009 at 1:14pm

In Response to Loola

I twist on damp hair...if its wet, its shrinks to much but if its dry once I wear a twist out, its not as defined.

I just put a small amount on my finger and start twisting, if the my fingers get dry before I get to the end of my twist, I dip it in the gel again. But I don't saturate it.

Date Posted: Sep 03 2009 at 2:38pm

maybe i missed something, but what is FSG?
feeling kind of out of it today.Wacko

Flaxseed Gel.  LOL ... tis okay.

Date Posted: Sep 03 2009 at 2:38pm
Originally posted by NubQue757 NubQue757 wrote:

In Response to Loola

I twist on damp hair...if its wet, its shrinks to much but if its dry once I wear a twist out, its not as defined.

I just put a small amount on my finger and start twisting, if the my fingers get dry before I get to the end of my twist, I dip it in the gel again. But I don't saturate it.

Thank you, NubQue!

Posted By: Hollistics
Date Posted: Dec 10 2012 at 11:48pm
Wet twist vs. Dry twist
I do both. It's kind of how I got in the grove of a healthy hair regimen that works for me. I wash my hair, detangle, seal, then two strand twist it. Once the twist are taken down, I rock the twist-out for 3 or 4 days before re-twisting on dry hair. (Since my hair is already stretched from the previous wash and twist, the dry twist come out with great definition and length.) After wearing the dry twist-out for another 3-4 days, it's time to wash my hair and start the cycle all over again. 
Also, I don't do gel. Any gel. It dries my hair out and leaves product flakes on my 4C hair that look like dandruff once it dries. I prefer cremes that give light hold and a little moisture. 

P.S. Please check out my blog, www.Hollistics.com. It's all about my obsession with healthy beautiful natural hair! 

Posted By: KFORKARESS
Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 6:12pm
I use Eco/Olive Oil gel to twist with.
For those who says that their hair gets hard/crunchy
The key is to use something before the gel either Moisturizer, conditioner or oil

When I co wash I keep most of the conditioner in and then I layer Grapeseed oil on top of the conditioner before I apply the gel. It leaves my hair defined, soft & flowy.

-------------
Last Relaxer: March 2, 2010
Big Chop: June 8, 2011

Date Posted: Dec 11 2012 at 8:20pm
WOOWWW Throw back! LOL

BTW I would not twist with gel nowadays. I prefer a heavy creamy styler.

-------------
Bougier than a can of Fancy Feast

Posted By: sakinadee
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 1:02pm

Here is CRISCOMIX BY CALVIS that I use for my twists/coils:

2 tbsp of veggie shortening,

1 tbsp of gel

4-5 tbsp of conditioner

1-2 tsp of evoo

a good squeeze of glycerin * you can omit the glycerin in cold winter months* mix this up with a hand mixer on high to get the air in it and make it nice and FLUFFY...this stuff is GREAT for twists, twist out, its very light so wont weigh hair down and it gives amazing definition and moisture

Posted By: sakinadee
Date Posted: Dec 12 2012 at 1:03pm
http://youtu.be/aYMkm_9YDAA - http://youtu.be/aYMkm_9YDAA
this is the youtube video for the Criscomix

Print Page | Close Window