Forum Name: General Products
Forum Description: Discussions on General Products
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=186790
Printed Date: Sep 22 2017 at 2:23pm

Topic: Shea Butter Recipes
Posted By: tootoo421
Subject: Shea Butter Recipes
Date Posted: Apr 19 2009 at 7:05pm
Hello, BHM.  I have been hearing a lot about people making their own shea butter pomades.

I purchased the following items: Unrefined Shea Butter, Organic Coconut Oil, Tea Tree Oil and Sweet Almond Oil.

Now I just need to know how to mix it and how much of each. LOL

So ladies give me some of your best shea butter or oil recipes that you have used or made. Thanks!!!

Replies:
Posted By: voncile
Date Posted: Jun 26 2009 at 7:08pm
Just eye ball it. That's how I did mine. After making it a few time you will know how much to use. 

Posted By: StayGlamorous
Date Posted: Jul 10 2009 at 12:32pm
same here.. its how much you want to put in it.. I mixed mine with Olive ; Carrot ; Grapeseed and Vitamin E oils.. 

Posted By: honeybrown2777
Date Posted: Aug 02 2009 at 6:28pm
I mix mined with castor oil, olive oil and I'm going to add vit e oil.

Posted By: Im_A_Diva
Date Posted: Aug 03 2009 at 3:59am
Sheabutter, rosemary oil, jojoba oil, coconut oil (melted), and oliveoil.

You can add glycerin for a more smoother product and shinier hair locs.

Posted By: sheisjoneskl
Date Posted: Aug 15 2009 at 2:48pm
I've been doing a banana and natural shea butter mask...melt the shea butter and mash about a half of a banana in it...whip till its a lumpy pudding mix while still wet apply and put on a plastic cap for 15 min wash out then wahlah....my hair loves this :)

Posted By: Divine_Diva
Date Posted: Oct 15 2009 at 1:11pm
I mixed my shea butter with EVCO, grapeseed oil or whatever other oils I have. I don't really measure. Just eyeball it.

Posted By: cinnamon704
Date Posted: Dec 18 2009 at 5:31pm
Recipe #1: Shea Butter + EVOO (I use this with my KeraCare Humecto Conditioner to deep condition under the hooded dryer for 20 mins)

Recipe #2: Shea Butter + Cantu Shea Butter Leave-In Conditioner + EVOO+ B&B Oil Moisturizer Hair Lotion (I mix this concoction together and use as my daily moisturizer. Hair hair loves this stuff!)

Posted By: CuddleCore
Date Posted: Dec 20 2009 at 1:54pm
I made this really nice whipped shea butter mask thing and it was basically to add shine to my hair.

-Shea Butter [half a pound container]
-Honey [generous amount,  I didn't measure]
-Oil [of your choice, I used different kinds before, like Olive Oil, Gro Aut Oil, Jojoba oil].
-Leave-in Conditioner [I only ever tried Giovanni Direct with it b/c I'm trying to get rid of that].

I basically use it after I've rinse out my pre-poo protein treatment. I squeeze out some of the excess water and spread in from root to tip in sections. Then I massage all around my head and leave in on for a while. I like to put it on before my actual shampoo b/c Aussie moist gets my hair really tangled and weird feeling [not dry but not moist either]. This helps it feel not so weird. lol

Also once I have finished up I add a bit more to my ends with my condish while I deep condition. Then I only rinse out a little of the condish and shea and my hair has Great shine after that. Also, really soft.

Posted By: BlkNappyBarbie
Date Posted: Apr 29 2010 at 10:07pm
bump

Posted By: Goodyearwriter
Date Posted: Nov 15 2010 at 1:37am
Smile

Posted By: Goodyearwriter
Date Posted: Nov 15 2010 at 1:38am
I add raw cocoanut oil to the shea butter.

Posted By: Lovelyred01
Date Posted: Nov 21 2010 at 4:18pm
I have some shea butter and would like to mix mine as well.  when everyone says they are mixing, are you softening/warming to mix with oils?  

Posted By: ladycocoabutter
Date Posted: Nov 23 2010 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Lovelyred01 Lovelyred01 wrote:

I have some shea butter and would like to mix mine as well.  when everyone says they are mixing, are you softening/warming to mix with oils?  
yeah you will need to warm it to melt it to mix it with oils

Posted By: Bonjour baby ooowee
Date Posted: May 21 2011 at 7:44pm
on my 2nd batch, i use unrefined sheabutter, silk elements leave in condition (the mix chicks competition) olive oil & argon oil.  i melt my sheabutter then add the oils and leave in conditioner, whip stir this REALLY well while its all warm then put the lid on it and allow it to settle in the container. talk about LOVE for my hair oooweee it feels sooo GOOD & i know my hair feels the LOVE too. 

Posted By: SimplisticLove
Date Posted: Sep 23 2011 at 10:24am
Originally posted by honeybrown2777 honeybrown2777 wrote:

I mix mined with castor oil, olive oil and I'm going to add vit e oil.

I did the same exact thing .. LOVE IT .

-------------
Follow me on my Journey : Youtube.com/GlamorousKYANNA

*Lose some lbs b4 2O12 Challenge
*Beginners Hair Care Challenge
*1+ Inch By Christmas Challenge

Posted By: sexyandfamous
Date Posted: Apr 28 2016 at 2:43pm
those recipes are good... i bumped this dusty old thread so i can check this later when i get my shea butter

Posted By: barelyreal
Date Posted: Nov 06 2016 at 8:34am
Definitely trying some of these out this week, thanks!

Print Page | Close Window