Forum Name: Natural Hair Care
Forum Description: General Discussions on Natural Hair Care
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=149859
Printed Date: Nov 19 2017 at 10:17pm

Topic: *Random* Natural Hair Thoughts...please share
Posted By: OnMyJourney
Subject: *Random* Natural Hair Thoughts...please share
Date Posted: Aug 31 2008 at 2:13pm
Ok ladies, sometimes thoughts come to me or things happen that I want to share with you ladies and it's really not worthy of a whole new thread...but I really want to share them!! Soooo, I decided to create this thread...in the event that I wasn't the only one. LOL  Sometimes it's crazy stuff, sometimes it's just a joyous moment, nothing in particular, ya know?

Ok, I'll start Big%20smile

My hair care collection is getting so out of control that my daughter stood in our living room last night, as I unpacked my bags from yesterday's shopping spree, and said,..."This place looks like a beauty supply store mommy!" LOL  I have to admit...she does have a point. I am out of control y'all. Shocked

Replies:
Posted By: ebonyglare
Date Posted: Aug 31 2008 at 7:05pm
My usual thought:

Why does my cat insist on stalking and trying to eat my twists whenever I lie down?

Date Posted: Aug 31 2008 at 7:26pm
Originally posted by ebonyglare ebonyglare wrote:

My usual thought:

Why does my cat insist on stalking and trying to eat my twists whenever I lie down?

LOLLOL  I LOVE it!!! Thank you for sharing!!! Hug

I hope more ladies will share as well!! This could be so fun! Big%20smile

LOL

Posted By: EbnCurly
Date Posted: Aug 31 2008 at 10:19pm
Things that make you go hmmmmmmm:

My grandmother thinks that locs are plaits and used to say "in my day we didn't go outside with plaits in our heads".  
LOL

-with the tons of locs we have in philly, I always wonder if she thinks they've all gone crazy Confused

Date Posted: Aug 31 2008 at 10:26pm
Originally posted by EbnCurly EbnCurly wrote:

Things that make you go hmmmmmmm:

My grandmother things that locs are plaits and used to say "in my day we didn't go outside with plaits in our heads".  
LOL

-with the tons of locs we have in philly, I always wonder if she thinks they've all gone crazy Confused

LOL Gotta love grandmothers!!! That is cute, thanks so much for sharing! Smile

LOL

Posted By: Nigerian queen
Date Posted: Aug 31 2008 at 11:21pm

My usual thought:

LOL

when my cat saw my Afro for the first time, he went crazy and attacked my hair!! LOL! my fault though, i had just taken out my braids, combed it out, and picked up the sleeping cat, and as soon as he opened his eyes, i felt him tense up, then a fraction of a second later, he puffed up, and started hissing and clawing at my hairLOL i dropped him and he just stood there looking at my hair, his back hunched and his tail puffed up growling yes growling at me!LOL i quickly put my hair into a pony tail, and as soon as he started he stopped! my roommate almost died of laughter!! she picked up my cat and brought him to my face and he just meowed and licked my nose! i guess he was just protecting his mummyLOL cus he didn't scratch my face! which was a miracle!

Posted By: browngirl360
Date Posted: Sep 01 2008 at 7:48am
Sometimes I love my cottony, afrocentric, self-confident, all me,  no-chemicals natural hair and sometimes I'm not feeling it At ALL...especially when I wake up and my hair is all smushed in on the side...maybe I'm schizophrenic! (if that's how you spell it!)

Posted By: MINKA
Date Posted: Sep 01 2008 at 8:30am

My usual thought:

LOL...OMG my cat does that too!please don't come to my house if u have long dreads and lay down, my cat thinks its yarn!

Posted By: ebonyglare
Date Posted: Sep 01 2008 at 8:38am

Wow.  Forget teaching people how to deal with uncouth people.  We need a course for teaching cats how to accept natural hair!

Posted By: babelipsss
Date Posted: Sep 01 2008 at 8:53am
I was at a family get together and my weaved-up cousin (who I love) took a pencil out of her purse and carefully scratched her head.  I laughed and took both of my hands and dug in hard in my hair...she rolled her eyes.  Mean I know.

Posted By: mee2
Date Posted: Sep 01 2008 at 10:10am
Originally posted by browngirl360 browngirl360 wrote:

Sometimes I love my cottony, afrocentric, self-confident, all me,  no-chemicals natural hair and sometimes I'm not feeling it At ALL...especially when I wake up and my hair is all smushed in on the side...maybe I'm schizophrenic! (if that's how you spell it!)

My thought is how do the top of my hair get mashed in. I know I toss and turn alot in my sleep, but surely I'am not spinning on top of my head too

Date Posted: Sep 01 2008 at 12:02pm
Thanks for sharing ladies!!  Clap

I was wondering about direct heat. Is using a diffuser considered direct heat? After all it is on the end of a blow dryer. I've been wanting to use one on my daughter's hair, but we have a "NO DIRECT HEAT TIL DECEMBER" challenge right now with NO passes.

Posted By: ArmyAngels3
Date Posted: Sep 01 2008 at 12:21pm
Since going completely natural (last weekend) I have been experimenting with oils from my kitchen and my dogs keep sticking their noses in my hair...lol i guess i smell like food?LOL

Date Posted: Sep 01 2008 at 11:18pm
OH MY GOODNESS! I'm so in love y'all! I just found my HOLY GRAIL hair rollers!!!!

The Goody brand Mesh rollers are THE TRUTH!! Shocked My hair just dried super fast!! And I'm always under the dryer for HOURS! I'm talking at least 3.5 to get my hair dry and these dried my hair in an hour! And they may have been done before now, I just didn't check them until an hour had past! Before I had been using the magnetic ones, but someone here (can't remember who) said to look for the ones with lots of holes in them, that they make a huge difference. WELL GIRL, YES THEY DO!!!  I am in love!!!

Funny thing is when I try to look them up via Google I can't find them. I was going to post a pic for everyone. I went to the Goody website and they don't have them listed there either. ??? But if you go to Walmart you will find them. They come in a pack of twenty with 2 different sizes in the baggie container with  these white pins.

Just let me tell y'all I have NEVER been good at rollersetting. I could get by because I typically pulled it back in the front anyway...but amazingly enough those little white pins secured the rollers well enough to smooth out my new growth. I'm just so in love. I might just have to start a thread about this afterall! But you heard it here first!!! LOL

Date Posted: Sep 02 2008 at 9:33pm
Today I went to lunch and the white lady taking my order kept looking at my hair (the rollerset I did last night with my AWESOME mesh rollers!). She stopped me AS I'm ordering and asked, "Did you use a flat iron to make your curls so big and shiny like that?" I smiled and said no I set it on rollers.  She said, "OK" and off she went to turn in my order.  She comes back 2 minutes later and asked, "You mean those hot rollers?"  I laughed, and told her exactly what I had done and where I bought the rollers. She looked at my hair and said, "I'm going to get some of those!" LOL

I was like DANG, does my rollerset look THAT cute?! Big%20smile

Posted By: bsquared86
Date Posted: Sep 03 2008 at 8:01am
um . . . random naturla hair thoughts . . . let's see

Surprisingly, my tattoos were the only thing that distracted my family from asking about my hair on Labor Day, lol. It's kind of like they couldn't figure out what to be more flabbergasted about-- this big ole tat near my collar bone that i've had for months but haven't shown alot this summer (don't want a sunburn on it!) or these funny twist things i've been doing with my hair for the past few weeks, lol. I guess the tats won this round. A couple of them complimented me on my hair or made general comments about it but so far noone really knows that i'm loc'ing, lol. It's so funny to me for some reason- I don't think i'll ever tell them what's going on, I'm just gonna watch and see their reactions as my hair begins to loc.

Fotki has mysteriously decided that i can neither see my OWN pictures in my albums nor can I see anyone elses . . . and it hurts. None of the computers in my house are cooperating with me! Other people seem to see my fotki just fine though, what's the deal. I'm actually seriously pissed off by this! I need my fotki fix! *suppresses junkie itch*

Sometimes I wonder if it's healthy to spend so much time focused on hair, lol? Honestly, my hair is the only "project" that I'm dedicated to right now . . . i spend more time on BHM and related hair sites than I do figuring out these grad school apps . . . somebody slap me, i'm OBSESSED!

Date Posted: Sep 03 2008 at 8:44am
Originally posted by bsquared86 bsquared86 wrote:

. . . somebody slap me, i'm OBSESSED!

You're not alone my sister! You're not alone! LOL

Posted By: WNW
Date Posted: Sep 03 2008 at 9:30am
sometimes I get worried about my hair growing out. Confused I know its weird because I want a big fro, but I am just worried about the time imma have to put in it. I can only imagine that the bigger and thicker it gets, the more imma have to do with it.

Posted By: Marlie
Date Posted: Sep 03 2008 at 1:30pm
i love stalking natural hair fotki's..... but it FREAKS me out when i see someones face scribbled out in the picsShocked

i immediately leavePinch

Posted By: divalane25
Date Posted: Sep 03 2008 at 2:50pm
OMG Marlie me too!!!!!! It reminds me of the movie thinner...yall seen that??

anywhoo...my random thought is this...
Over the weekend I explored my aunts new/old house especially the basement that she was afraid to go in. It was a mess...this house was atleast 80yrs old and the basement showed there was stuff everywhere. I cam out with spiderwebs in my hair that I didn't notice for hrs I'm still in the TWA phase. So I wonder....how much stuff will randomly get stuck in my fro as it grows. Without me noticing???

Posted By: babelipsss
Date Posted: Sep 03 2008 at 3:06pm
^^Those cobwebs would have gotten stuck in any type of hair.

Date Posted: Sep 03 2008 at 8:00pm
Heart my transitioning hair in the morning! Styling is fast and I'm on my way. No flat ironing and trying to get this piece right and that piece right.

I overslept this morning by about fifteen minutes. I rushed to the bathroom to shower, etc. Pulled my satin bonnet off, shook my head, finger combed some pieces, got dressed and dashed! I wasn't even late for work!! Hmm....maybe I'll push my alarm time up 15 minutes from now.  My hair is fabulous, I don't need the extra time. LOL

Date Posted: Sep 03 2008 at 9:38pm
Don't be to hard on the anonymous foki users......... somebody once tracked me down from my blackplanet page.  I was in Tallahasse FL so it wasn't that hard but very scary.

Date Posted: Sep 04 2008 at 8:20am
Originally posted by babelipsss babelipsss wrote:

^^Those cobwebs would have gotten stuck in any type of hair.

tru

Date Posted: Sep 04 2008 at 8:38am
Originally posted by Marlie Marlie wrote:

i love stalking natural hair fotki's..... but it FREAKS me out when i see someones face scribbled out in the picsShocked

i immediately leavePinch
Lol LOL

Posted By: naturalgurl
Date Posted: Sep 04 2008 at 10:29am
Why does my bird insist on licking the shea butter or coconut oil from my hair. My friend said he's grooming me and that's what birds do. I beg to differ! He doens't do that when I use aloe vera gel! LOL!

Date Posted: Sep 04 2008 at 11:49am
^^ LOL

I ran into another natural haired lady in one of the buildings I work in. She has a FIERCE twa! I literally ran up to her. LOL I told her how beautiful her hair was and she started telling me how she keeps it short now because she didn't like the way her curls looked when she grew her hair out. I swear she made me want to run back to my office and grab the scissors!

Date Posted: Sep 04 2008 at 2:08pm
I just came from a briefing here at work on 'how to answer the phone'<<DONT ASK!!!!! but in it there were a group of woman gathered talking quietly..... afterwards i got cornered by that group of women...apparently the topic of discussion had been my hair LMAO they had a million questions

Posted By: CarrotTop
Date Posted: Sep 04 2008 at 5:31pm
Originally posted by browngirl360 browngirl360 wrote:

Now this! I can relate too! hahah LOLCryLOL

Date Posted: Sep 04 2008 at 5:34pm
Originally posted by babelipsss babelipsss wrote:

I was at a family get together and my weaved-up cousin (who I love) took a pencil out of her purse and carefully scratched her head.  I laughed and took both of my hands and dug in hard in my hair...she rolled her eyes.  Mean I know.

But so FUNNY!! I will have to try that one.! Embarrassed

Date Posted: Sep 04 2008 at 5:37pm
Originally posted by OnMyJourney OnMyJourney wrote:

Today I went to lunch and the white lady taking my order kept looking at my hair (the rollerset I did last night with my AWESOME mesh rollers!). She stopped me AS I'm ordering and asked, "Did you use a flat iron to make your curls so big and shiny like that?" I smiled and said no I set it on rollers.  She said, "OK" and off she went to turn in my order.  She comes back 2 minutes later and asked, "You mean those hot rollers?"  I laughed, and told her exactly what I had done and where I bought the rollers. She looked at my hair and said, "I'm going to get some of those!" LOL

I was like DANG, does my rollerset look THAT cute?! Big%20smile

WE WANT PICS!!!!!! AngryLOL

Date Posted: Sep 04 2008 at 5:43pm

My thoughts...Hummm....

I'm the only black girl in the office...do the white folks at my job really like my hair like they say, or are they curious to know why I have all these curls! hahah! hummmm....hahah!Cool

Date Posted: Sep 04 2008 at 6:09pm
Originally posted by CarrotTop CarrotTop wrote:

Can I borrow your camera?  Sowwy, a digital camera is on the list of things to buy...if only I could stop my PJ ways. LOL

Posted By: guyanesesista
Date Posted: Sep 04 2008 at 9:26pm
My thought is... Why do those little flies get stuck in my twa when I go jogging in the evening? I swear my hair is a fly catcher or dust magnet.

Date Posted: Sep 05 2008 at 11:22am
Originally posted by guyanesesista guyanesesista wrote:

My thought is... Why do those little flies get stuck in my twa when I go jogging in the evening? I swear my hair is a fly catcher or dust magnet.

lol...thats funny! LOL

Date Posted: Sep 05 2008 at 11:23am

Can I borrow your camera?  Sowwy, a digital camera is on the list of things to buy...if only I could stop my PJ ways. LOL

Sure, u can pick it up in Houston! haha! Wink

Posted By: GeminiSun
Date Posted: Sep 05 2008 at 12:03pm
My random thought... I'm about one interview away from a new job that I think is going to be straight up Business attire. I keep trying on my suits to see how I look with my twa and a power suit.

Date Posted: Sep 05 2008 at 12:06pm

Sure, u can pick it up in Houston! haha! Wink

You're a doll! I'm on the way! Big%20smile

Date Posted: Sep 05 2008 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by GeminiSun GeminiSun wrote:

My random thought... I'm about one interview away from a new job that I think is going to be straight up Business attire. I keep trying on my suits to see how I look with my twa and a power suit.

I'll tell you how you're going to look, FIERCE! Let us know how the interview goes, I'm praying for you girl!!!

Date Posted: Sep 05 2008 at 12:36pm
Awe thanks Gurl!!

Date Posted: Sep 07 2008 at 12:45am
I LOVE this chick right here!!!!! She is THE greatest! LOL Tracema/TracieMae (I think she has two accounts, but anyway) is off the chain!!!

Y'all HAVE to look at this video! TRUST me you will not regret it! I need to take my butt to bed, but she has me in here CRYING, I'm laughing so hard!!!  Get it girl!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0zKNbdB7Js&NR=1" rel="no follow - Messin up my natural curl pattern

Posted By: Nigerian queen
Date Posted: Sep 07 2008 at 10:31am

I LOVE this chick right here!!!!! She is THE greatest! LOL Tracema/TracieMae (I think she has two accounts, but anyway) is off the chain!!!

Y'all HAVE to look at this video! TRUST me you will not regret it! I need to take my butt to bed, but she has me in here CRYING, I'm laughing so hard!!!  Get it girl!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0zKNbdB7Js&NR=1" rel="no follow - Messin up my natural curl pattern

loved it!!!!!!!!LOLLOLLOL

Date Posted: Sep 07 2008 at 12:23pm
Originally posted by Nigerian queen Nigerian queen wrote:

loved it!!!!!!!!LOLLOLLOL

LOL I told you!!!!

Date Posted: Sep 08 2008 at 11:10am
random thought...
why did i wait till i was so low on oyin whipped pudding before i ordered some more?? i'm going to be a wreck until it arrives!!!! Cry

Date Posted: Sep 08 2008 at 3:31pm
Why did I ruin my beautiful new rollerset that I did on Saturday by putting too much shea butter on my hair last night???Angry Today it drooped in the front where I over loaded. I was freaked out about the Surge 14 drying my hair and got a little moisturizer heavy with the SheaMoisture leave in. Ouch I'm so pissed at myself!!!! Every where is beautiful except the front, where it's blah! 

Posted By: Lyricale07
Date Posted: Sep 08 2008 at 3:42pm
I think I'll get some senegalese twists for the Fall/Winter

& this is my 1000th post yey!LOL

Date Posted: Sep 08 2008 at 4:31pm
Originally posted by Lyricale07 Lyricale07 wrote:

I think I'll get some senegalese twists for the Fall/Winter

& this is my 1000th post yey!LOL

CONGRATULATIONS!! ClapClap

Date Posted: Sep 09 2008 at 3:49pm
Rollerset + Super Humid Tuesday =  

Posted By: mstoya25
Date Posted: Sep 09 2008 at 8:22pm
I was in CVS tonight and they had a "natural" hair mag on the stands, but the here's the funny part...Janet, Miss Jackson if you nasty, was on the cover with a long lace front wig on, and there was maybe two naturals in the whole thing....Every one else had wigs, weaves, braids, and lord only knows what else....

Posted By: Marlie
Date Posted: Sep 09 2008 at 8:43pm
^^^ i saw that magazine and saw $5.99 WTF!!! no thanx it was all of 10 natural pics in it

Date Posted: Sep 09 2008 at 9:41pm
Why do people - even strangers - always ask naturals "What did you do to your hair?" 

But when a bad relaxer job walks by they say nothing? 

Date Posted: Sep 09 2008 at 10:32pm
Originally posted by EbnCurly EbnCurly wrote:

Why do people - even strangers - always ask naturals "What did you do to your hair?" 

But when a bad relaxer job walks by they say nothing? 

lol i hate that! there is this new chick in my office and everytime i wear a shake n'go (most fridays) she ask me something like 'i love when u wear ur hair out what do you do just leave conditioner in it or gel?' EVERYTIME!!!!!!!!! she ask me this everytime!!! like she'll ask the same question every week just a different way but soon as I hear the part 'you do to it' i want to smack her! (not really but u know). I've plainly stated that I put water, oil and shake it out to her at least five times.....I suppose that's not a good enough answer for her because lawd forbid my hair form cute curls NATURALLY

mind u her hair is fried died and laid to the side with chunks of red one week and purple the next.....but u dont see me asking how it got that way! lol

Date Posted: Sep 10 2008 at 9:05am
WHY did one of my co-workers say to me, "I have never seen you with curly hair before, is all that yours?" AND THEN commenced to putting her hands in my hair and touching my scalp to see for herself AFTER I said yes, it is! Angry

Granted I was the ponytail and wrap queen, but SERIOUSLY? Ouch And no she wasn't black, she was a 55+ year old white lady from Ohio. I only say that because "we" are typically the ones checking for tracks in these type stories. LOL

Date Posted: Sep 11 2008 at 9:00am
I'm wishing that after 4 hrs of twisting my hair would last more than a dayAngry I'm a frizzy fuzzy mess!

Posted By: MissCassC
Date Posted: Sep 11 2008 at 2:26pm
So much hair.  Last night I tried to do larger two strand twists instead of my smaller ones in order to save time.  Still took me over an hour to finish.

Posted By: Ny87
Date Posted: Sep 12 2008 at 10:35am
I notice that the bigger my fro gets the more weird stares I get like these Confused. I mean its just hair. What do they think its going to do attack you or something?

Posted By: meika79
Date Posted: Sep 15 2008 at 9:12am
@ Ny87 Have people started pointing at your hair yet? Thats what cracks me up.

My natural hair thought... Why does everyone want to play in my hair when I blow it out and curl it. No lie, even the ladies at the nail shop. "Oh Meiki," (they refuse to call me Meika) "you have sooo much hair."
When I do my twists my god-daughter throws a fit if I don't put some rods in her hair too.
And why does my mom, who has 3a type hair, think her hair is nappy? Eveytime she starts up I just leave the room.

Date Posted: Sep 15 2008 at 9:36am
Next chapter...Breakage

Date Posted: Sep 15 2008 at 4:10pm

Next chapter...Breakage

Moisturize, moisturize, moisturize!!! We can't have that beautiful fro of yours breaking!!

Date Posted: Sep 18 2008 at 10:20am
My random thought of the day (OMJ I LOOOOOVE THIS THREAD!!! i have so many random thoughts that pertain to my hair lol!!)

ok my whipped pudding FINALLY came in the mail the other day i was so happy i got the biggest jar they have available this time. I save my old empty jar i'm going to mix some pudding with scented body oil for my PM skin moisturizer.

i'm thinking of coloring my hair!! just dont know how or what color yet but i think my fro would look fierce with a color to it other than ..whatever u call this mess

back on the whipped pudding...i was getting ready for work this morning in the bathroom with my sweetie in the shower and i broke out the pudding and starting putting some in my hair...using it as body lotion whatever the norm...and he's like WTH?? why does it smell like chocolate in here all of a sudden?? hehehehehhe i was like oh my bad that's me lol

Date Posted: Sep 18 2008 at 10:42am
^^ Big%20smile that was a cute story! Chocolate in the morning, you'd better be glad he didn't make you late for work! Wink LOL

And I'm glad you like this thread so much, I thought I was the only one with so many random hair thoughts! LOL

Date Posted: Sep 18 2008 at 1:58pm
LOL yeah I got in 20min late trying to get him off me so that I wouldn't be late. What's worse..we work in the same office he just scheduled to be in like an hour after me so i'm like HELLO I do not have your schedule back up!! lol

i think i have a million and one thoughts in my head about my hair a day

Date Posted: Sep 18 2008 at 3:27pm
I'm just soooo happy that my hair is finally growing out!!! I was soooo traumatized when I had to cut my fro off back in April... I never thought I'd make it but I'm doing good and I finally have enough hair to twist and have some fun with...

Date Posted: Sep 18 2008 at 8:05pm
Originally posted by divalane25 divalane25 wrote:

LOL yeah I got in 20min late trying to get him off me so that I wouldn't be late. What's worse..we work in the same office he just scheduled to be in like an hour after me so i'm like HELLO I do not have your schedule back up!! lol

i think i have a million and one thoughts in my head about my hair a day

Put 'em all in here girl!! LOL

Date Posted: Sep 18 2008 at 8:06pm

I'm just soooo happy that my hair is finally growing out!!! I was soooo traumatized when I had to cut my fro off back in April... I never thought I'd make it but I'm doing good and I finally have enough hair to twist and have some fun with...

Hug I'm super happy for you Gem!

Date Posted: Sep 19 2008 at 8:10am
Does anyone else ever see someone, adult or child, with damaged hair and you just want to reach out and help them? Yesterday, I saw this little girl who looked like her mother relaxes her hair every month religiously. Her hair was so thin I could see her scalp, plus it was very short and had bad breakage.

I wanted to help but I learned to not give hair advice unless the person asks. *Sigh*

Date Posted: Sep 24 2008 at 10:37am

Thanks Danni!

Mekia yes I have definiatly seen that.  I have a friend who I want to tell about BHM soooo bad... its horrible! I just don't know how to break the ice!!

My random thought for today is that I love trouser socks - the really thin kind.  I just discovered that they make great headbands.  No I just have to figure out how to wear them w/o getting breakage on my edges.

Posted By: preacherswife1
Date Posted: Sep 24 2008 at 11:13am
my hair thought is i had a very bad hair day. i washed my hair and placed products in it  took my time and twisted since it was late that night. my hair is very very thick. and does not absorb products wells if they are thick. well when i woke up the next morning at 5:30 having to leave the house at 6 my hair was white. my hubby said at 5 min til 6. i looke i had to wash with 5 min. hair running water every where to leave for work. got to work and people said girl your hair is white i was so upset. had to rework in the bathroom.

Date Posted: Sep 24 2008 at 1:42pm
Originally posted by preacherswife1 preacherswife1 wrote:

my hair thought is i had a very bad hair day. i washed my hair and placed products in it  took my time and twisted since it was late that night. my hair is very very thick. and does not absorb products wells if they are thick. well when i woke up the next morning at 5:30 having to leave the house at 6 my hair was white. my hubby said at 5 min til 6. i looke i had to wash with 5 min. hair running water every where to leave for work. got to work and people said girl your hair is white i was so upset. had to rework in the bathroom.

Awww, I'm so sorry you had such a bad start to your day! Hug Tomorrow will be better, I'm sure of it!

Posted By: naturaltichi
Date Posted: Sep 24 2008 at 5:03pm
Well my natural hair thought of the day is not rly a thought more like something my mom said. So we were talking on the phoen today and we came on the subect of my hair. She was like "back in the day we all used to have afro's and every girl at my school was in love with your dad, cause he had this beautiful big afro" That was just too cute :P

Date Posted: Sep 25 2008 at 7:07am
^^ Aww, that was sweet!

Yesterday towards the end of the day a co-worker stopped by and asked me if I had relaxed my daughter's hair "yet?"  Everyone always thought it was relaxed because it pressed so easily and now it's been braided or twisted every day so she didn't know. This was a great opportunity for me to talk hair! Big%20smile So I told her about our decision and how she hasn't had any heat at all on her hair in many months now.

She went on to talk about her girls, one which was once in the same class with mine and how she wanted a relaxer. When her hair is stretched it's beyond her (well, what would be) brastrap and her little sister's is longer than that. The oldest wants a relaxer because her hair is "short" and she doesn't like it. We talked about the pros and cons....but it was relatively brief because she was on her way out and I was just trying to organize my desk so I could leave. Hopefully we'll get to talk more about this, her daughters have the most beautiful, thick hair. I think the oldest may be 4b and the youngest maybe a fine, dense 4a. Beautiful girls, beautiful hair. I wanted to scream NOO, DON'T DO IT! But they are her girls and her decision to make, but I will share with her all I know in hopes of her not doing so. But in the end, as a mother I know, she has to do what she feels is best for her girls and I respect that.  

I told her I was growing my relaxer out and if she went that route she'd just cut it all off and wear an afro, to which I assured her is awesome too!  She just feels like it won't grow because she's at a certain age. I was like GIRRL whatever! Aren't we about the same age? If WILL grow, it's just a matter of how you care for it.  She said we'd talk more later, but I almost followed her home, I wanted to correct that thinking right then and there so badly!!

But I'll get another chance. She won't be making any decisions immediately, so we'll chat again.

Wow...this was long for a random thought, huh? LOL

Edited to fix typo

Posted By: bsquared86
Date Posted: Sep 25 2008 at 7:33am

^^^ oh no! i hope she doesn't put chemicals on those babies' heads! they're too young. educate her OMJ . . . before it's too late! point her towards a thread in the breakage section where a mother was saying she felt like a bad mother for putting a relaxer in her daughter's hair (not that she should feel like a bad mother, at all).

my natural thoughts today . . .

today, i did some loc restructuring i.e. i changed some parts around and had the opportunity to feel my loose hair and see how much it's grown. it was so soft and there was definite growth. i was almost tempted to take them all out! YIKES! but then, i looked at my fotki and all of the pics of other people's locs that i've been stockpiling (lol) and i remembered just how much i wanted to be loc'd and why. Crisis Averted, lol. thank goodness too . . . because i would have been pissed at myself for ruining all of my loc'ing progress.

i loved my press'n'curl (we had a good 15 years together) and i loved my fro (those 4 months were fun) but i feel like locs really make sense for me.

Date Posted: Sep 25 2008 at 7:47am
I will bsquared, we did talk a bit about breakage and that seemed to really register with her. She's not here today, she'll be back at this location on Friday and we'll talk more. I don't think she wants to do it, she's just a little heart broken that her daughter doesn't love her hair. I'm going to set up a playdate for the girls so my baby can talk to her daughter as well. Kids listen to each other and have a big impact on one another...unfortunately, sometimes a greater one than their parents. I'm hoping if she sees the shrinkage my baby gets and how much she embraces her hair that it'll help to reframe how she sees her hair. I won't give up, but I didn't want to "attack" and say NO YOU CAN'T DO THAT, THAT'S HORRIBLE. While I don't think it's optimal, I don't want her to feel I'm judging her because I'm sincerely not. I just think her girls hair is so beautiful and I don't want her to do something either of them will regret later.

I'll keep you posted. Big%20smile

ETA: Why does my avi keep disappearing??? Angry Guess I'll just put Tanika back up. *sigh*

Date Posted: Sep 25 2008 at 8:08am
Oh, also wanted to add that I just started moisturizing my daughter's hair with Aloe Vera Juice and I Heart it! I have a mixture of AVJ, water and glycerine and it works wonderfully! I'm very pleased with it! I was re-braiding her her hair last night and it was still so moisturized from when I did her hair on Sunday! It was beautiful, I'm VERY happy with this. ...just thought I'd share! Big%20smile

Date Posted: Sep 25 2008 at 10:48pm

It took me 7 hours to twist my hair (no extensions) - I wore them for weeks and they were cute............. but when i took them out and wore my hair out it was liberating.  I was like "I'm Back!"  I thought about loc'ing but I love love love to wear my hair out.  'Specially on a (low humidity) windy day, when blows through my hair.......

(ok - this is really random) LOL

Date Posted: Sep 26 2008 at 9:30am
I always try to do diffrent styles on my hair or wear a wig just for a break...but everytime I do I take the style out because I love to wear my hair out and loose. I dont know what I am gonna do when my hair gets bigger! How do u style a big fro? just wash and wear?

Date Posted: Sep 26 2008 at 9:59am
When I had a big fro I wore twist more often. When I did wear the fro out I would wash less often maybe only 2x a week as opposed to now I wash it 3-4 times a week.

I'd to big twists at night then moisturize and pic out in the morning. I don't know if you'll be going for the wild look or the neat/ round look but my fail proof secret for getting it nice and neat
is to pick it out then lay a scarf over it and pat and mold it into the rounded shape that i want.

I'm sure that when the time comes you'll be able to handle you big ass afro!!

Date Posted: Sep 27 2008 at 10:07pm
I've been out shopping all day long and now I'm too tired to perform my hair duties. Cry However, as tired as I am...I can't seem to log off of BHM. Ouch I sooo need a 12 step program! Confused

Posted By: BellaNegra
Date Posted: Sep 28 2008 at 2:17am
Girl I know what you mean! if i spent the time I spend here on my books, I would graduate 4.0 Suma Cum Laude !LOL
I don't post a lot but I just love going through all the threads and pick up new tips. I BCed last week so now i'm in search of new hair 's how to for my TWA.Smile

Date Posted: Sep 28 2008 at 8:50am
I can't deal with anything else that stinks!! I need sweet smelling lovely sents coming from my hair at all times!!! So, BunnieHoney posted this site, fromnaturewithlove.com, that sells butters. i'm tempted to by aloe and avacado butter but I'm scared casue I'm afaraid that they won't smell good! Anybody smelled avacado butter before? I can't be musky!!

Date Posted: Sep 28 2008 at 11:01am
Originally posted by BellaNegra BellaNegra wrote:

Girl I know what you mean! if i spent the time I spend here on my books, I would graduate 4.0 Suma Cum Laude !LOL
I don't post a lot but I just love going through all the threads and pick up new tips. I BCed last week so now i'm in search of new hair 's how to for my TWA.Smile

Congratulations on your BC!!!!!! ClapClap

Date Posted: Sep 28 2008 at 11:03am

I can't deal with anything else that stinks!! I need sweet smelling lovely sents coming from my hair at all times!!! So, BunnieHoney posted this site, fromnaturewithlove.com, that sells butters. i'm tempted to by aloe and avacado butter but I'm scared casue I'm afaraid that they won't smell good! Anybody smelled avacado butter before? I can't be musky!!

This made me laugh. LOL Sorry though, I don't know how avocado butter smells. If Bunnie doesn't see this, maybe PM her...and let us know so we don't order stinky either. LOL

Date Posted: Sep 28 2008 at 11:54am
I'm coloring my hair today....whoohoo!!!

Date Posted: Sep 28 2008 at 12:12pm

Oooh, what color?

Date Posted: Sep 28 2008 at 1:18pm
Random hair thought of today: I want to take my braids out so bad, but I'm on a braid challenge until December. I'm starting to miss my hair.

Date Posted: Sep 28 2008 at 1:43pm
^^ i feel ya! This is why I cant get any kind of braids w/ extensions. I end up taking them out the second week!

Date Posted: Sep 28 2008 at 1:49pm
My hair is still not done, nor is my daughter's...I'm such a loser. Cry Let me go wash some dishes and do something productive, perhaps it will inspire me. 

Date Posted: Sep 28 2008 at 1:49pm

When I had a big fro I wore twist more often. When I did wear the fro out I would wash less often maybe only 2x a week as opposed to now I wash it 3-4 times a week.

I'd to big twists at night then moisturize and pic out in the morning. I don't know if you'll be going for the wild look or the neat/ round look but my fail proof secret for getting it nice and neat
is to pick it out then lay a scarf over it and pat and mold it into the rounded shape that i want.

I'm sure that when the time comes you'll be able to handle you big ass afro!!
I really like the fros that are not soo neat, ya know. I like them to look carefree with some texture to them, like a braidout fro or twistout fro or just a blowout fro. Not a particular "roundness". I dont wash my hair very often at all, but it seems like I HAVE to co wash everyday to detangle and to keep my hair moist. When I try to just use product on dry hair or rinsed hair it doesnt feel right 

Date Posted: Sep 28 2008 at 5:28pm

Oooh, what color?

have not decided yet. either just straight 'gold fusion' or 'gold fusion' mixed with 'copper bronze' either way it'll be kinda dramatic because my hair is very dark now with red tint to it so i'm a little nervous. i'mma get started after i go eat this chinese food and watch a movie lol (gotta luv lazy sundays) anywho....i'll be back and of course WITH PICS

oh yeah i'd like to jump on the 'textured fro' bandwagon i wear my hair both ways...neat and wild but i always love wild better. the twist out fro and the shake n go fro are like my signature hairstyle.

Date Posted: Sep 28 2008 at 8:31pm

have not decided yet. either just straight 'gold fusion' or 'gold fusion' mixed with 'copper bronze' either way it'll be kinda dramatic because my hair is very dark now with red tint to it so i'm a little nervous. i'mma get started after i go eat this chinese food and watch a movie lol (gotta luv lazy sundays) anywho....i'll be back and of course WITH PICS

oh yeah i'd like to jump on the 'textured fro' bandwagon i wear my hair both ways...neat and wild but i always love wild better. the twist out fro and the shake n go fro are like my signature hairstyle.

Both options sound yummy! I especially like the sounds of that copper bronze. 

I'm over here multitasking like a mad woman! Just now finishing up dinner, watching my 'Boys (pissed off that they lost that game)and doing my DD's hair...which I just finished. She's under the dryer for another 5 minutes and then off to bed.

And you know what? I left my memory card at work which means I can't take pics of her hair as I'm working on it in order to post them in my fotki. UGH!!! There's only a little bit of built in memory and I forgot all about that, so now I'm angry with myself. I'm too tired to do my hair although I really want to. I guess I'll just put my satin rollers in and do it tomorrow night.

Colored your hair yet?

Date Posted: Sep 28 2008 at 9:11pm
I feel you. i'm being lazy right now too i didnt get thru my movie annnnd my hair is still dark brown hahahahaha i speant an hr on the phone with a girlfriend then watched desperate housewives...now i'm thinking ok it's 10 do i really want to get started with this now?

Date Posted: Sep 28 2008 at 9:37pm

I feel you. i'm being lazy right now too i didnt get thru my movie annnnd my hair is still dark brown hahahahaha i speant an hr on the phone with a girlfriend then watched desperate housewives...now i'm thinking ok it's 10 do i really want to get started with this now?

Looks like we're both going to be doing hair tomorrow night, huh? LOL

Date Posted: Sep 28 2008 at 10:08pm
i'm sucked it up. i'm sitting here now with the color on my hair...another 5-10min to go. i'm already regretting mixing the colors a little though. my fear was using just the gold fusion would be too light/dramatic/different and/or would turn out orangy ...........now i'm thinking it'll be too red and not dramatic enough and too red when what i was going for was a light brown. i guess this is why ppl use professionals lol. i told myself i was going to do some baking soda highlights yesterday so the color would really POP but i was being lazy so i didn't. ahhhhh well this is the point where i tell myself it's just hair and hope for the best

i'll tell u this though, if it weren't for the fact that my hair woul crumple up and die from leaving this color on there i'd sure nuff make it my new gel or something because my stretched out curls are beautiful right now hahahahaha

Date Posted: Sep 28 2008 at 11:28pm
LOL Girl, PLEASE do not make your hair crumple up and fall out! I can't wait to see the color, I'll bet it turns out fine.

I, on the other hand, did not suck it up. LOL I wanted to, I even tried...but after compiling all my tools and products I sat back down on the couch with my computer and decided to put all my energy into dreading getting up in the morning for work. LOL

Date Posted: Sep 29 2008 at 10:20am
well i gotta get u guys  a pic of my hair in the light because it's the only way you'll see the color. i should have used less copper bronze and more gold fusion because inside my hair looks pretty much the same just browner lol but in the sun OMG it's really light!!!!!

Posted By: carameldiva
Date Posted: Sep 29 2008 at 10:21am
Pistachio Butter is the shiznit. Creamy, smells good and easy to apply. Now on my staple list. I will be using this during the fall and winter- maybe all year long.

Didn't use Megatek last night- too tired- returned from vacation.

Gotta wash/condition my hair today- no excuses.

Date Posted: Sep 29 2008 at 10:28am
where did u get pistachio butter??? that sounds interesting!!!!!

Posted By: carameldiva
Date Posted: Sep 29 2008 at 10:44am

where did u get pistachio butter??? that sounds interesting!!!!!

www.camdengrey.com

Date Posted: Sep 29 2008 at 2:23pm
Thanks carmel

ok here's my random thought for the day.... i've got two more ppl on my team that have converted!!!! whoo hoo!!! last year when i decided to go natural two of my friends decided to take the plunge with me...one locked and the other started to transition but fell off after like two weeks lol well she's back to transitioning as of July and she's bringing her sister with her!!!! whoo hoo

Date Posted: Sep 29 2008 at 9:37pm
The pics are up of my new color :-)

Print Page | Close Window