Forum Name: Talk Archives
Forum Description: Archive Section
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=112928
Printed Date: Oct 16 2018 at 12:50am

Topic: installing a weave by yourself
Posted By: melly
Subject: installing a weave by yourself
Date Posted: Jan 20 2008 at 3:21pm
has anyone ever did a sew in weave by themselves  is it possible to do this urself  and if yes did u have really good results and how did u learn how 2 sew in ur own weave  and i would like to learn how to sew in a weave on my own so i dont have 2 keep going to the hairdresser

Replies:
Posted By: babii gurl
Date Posted: Jan 20 2008 at 3:27pm
i always do my own sew in weaves and my hair is always on point. It takes me time to do it cuz im a perfectionist and i want everything to be right. I think its worth doin it by myself. Its not hard to learn to do it yourself. The only con is that my back hurts when im done...lol

Posted By: xavier
Date Posted: Jan 20 2008 at 3:44pm
It's easy once you got the hang of it. There's a few tutorials on the 101thread(i think).

Posted By: DE_Diosa
Date Posted: Jan 20 2008 at 8:21pm
I just did my own install last night.  It took forever and my arms are sore but I think it will get easier with practice.  And it beats paying $100+ for someone else to do it.

Posted By: TexasLaceDiva
Date Posted: Jan 20 2008 at 8:37pm
what I would do ...  Is go to an african braid shop and have them braid my hair (find braid patterns on bhm) and sew in the hair my self

Posted By: Kit-Kat
Date Posted: Jan 20 2008 at 9:42pm
I wish I knew too.  There are a few 'How to' instructional videos which I've considered purchasing.

One of them is http://www.braidsbybreslin.com/" rel="no follow - http://www.braidsbybreslin.com/ .  Not sure if they are worth the money.

Posted By: vintagefunk
Date Posted: Jan 20 2008 at 9:58pm
has anyone ever sewn in a full weave using bodywave hair with a swoop bang? is it possilbe?

Posted By: YoursTruly
Date Posted: Jan 20 2008 at 10:59pm
Girl, it's so easy but you'll just be tired. I always do my own sew-ins (like the one in my avi). It just took me a while to learn because I couldn't cornrow that good but with the help of a youtube video, I'm a beast when it comes to cornrowing....lol

Posted By: Unique Monique
Date Posted: Jan 20 2008 at 11:43pm

I am the only person that does my sew-ins.  It's easy once you get the hang of it. Practice Practice Practice!!!

Posted By: eb0nie
Date Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 12:18am
yeah it gets easier every time you do it. ... my arms still hurt from holding them behind my back for so long.  I do everything by feel. If it feels right then it looks right  lol thats what I keep telling myself. 

Posted By: yulette
Date Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 12:31am
the key is finding the right braid pattern for the style you want to obtain... I do my own all the time but each time you will get better and better... some do very small braids but that is too much work for me. my weaves always look very natural and very flat.

8-10 braids usually work if i braid str8 back. try on a family member to get a good view of how u want urs to be put in...hthWink

Posted By: melly
Date Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 8:31pm
all this time im been paying money to  hairdressers when i could of learn how to put in a weave by my damn self  u guys make it seem so simple
can someone explain to me how do u put in a weave on ur own step by step

Posted By: Nichelle
Date Posted: Jan 21 2008 at 8:57pm
I would go to an african braid shop like someone suggested above and then attach a net, sewing around the perimeter of your head.  You can start off doing 2-3 rows around the perimeter and then fill it starting from the back until you get to your leave out hair.  You can also use a closure piece.  You'd sew that on first, then do the 2-3 rows around the perimeter and so on.  There are some step by step pics in the weave 101 thread.  Also, http://www.hisandher.com" rel="no follow - www.hisandher.com has good pics on various types of weaves installations as well in the sections titled how to wear weaves and video links.  HTH

Posted By: honeyb1181
Date Posted: Jan 22 2008 at 11:39am

When I first started wearing sew ins I'd go to this lady about every 6 weeks. They'd be sooo bulky and she'd only do partials. My hair that was left out was sooo broken. I do em myself all the time and I feel like each time I get a little better. I also think that EVERY one I have done myself has been better than the ones I paid for...

Posted By: Nnelove
Date Posted: Jan 22 2008 at 2:48pm
Yes, I have been doing my on sew-ins since I was in 9th grade, I am now currently a freshman in college. At first they crazy lumpy but they got MUCH better over time. Now im tha BOMB! lol

Tips for a first timer:
- the braided foundation is the base of everything!! it must be flat and tight as possible.
- make sure ur threading is also tight as possible w/o damaging ur hair--you'll kno ur limits-- you want ur weave to last!!!

Anything else, just ask!

Posted By: msmack1970
Date Posted: Jan 24 2008 at 4:04pm
Hello all! I agree w/all the posters on here..PRACTICE. It took me a good year and alot of tired arms before I perfected my own straight weave. Now I do it so effortlessly but it does take me way more time to do my own than for me to do someone elses....good luck!

Posted By: quinlee
Date Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 6:39am
Ive done my own sew-in a couple of times, the first time I did it, I suprised myself becuz it came out so good!

You just have to take the whole day to yourself, and take your time dont rush through it.

Posted By: LaLady
Date Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 7:45am
I try it now nd then..
I used to do quick weave.. but it damaged my hair too much..
So im new at this too.

http://public.fotki.com/DaOnlyLaLady/" rel="no follow - http://public.fotki.com/DaOnlyLaLady/

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 8:28am
Originally posted by melly melly wrote:

has anyone ever did a sew in weave by themselves  is it possible to do this urself  and if yes did u have really good results and how did u learn how 2 sew in ur own weave  and i would like to learn how to sew in a weave on my own so i dont have 2 keep going to the hairdresser

Yes, you most definitely can do it yourselfWink. I did my own install for the first time a few weeks ago. The most challenging part for me was the cornrowsConfused...the easiest way to do it I think is to do the cornrows going straight back, then sew each track across and slightly around toward the ears...if you are leaving some of your real hair out, at the top and around the perimeter, it will be much easier than if you are doing a full-head weave. Just keep practicingWink....

Posted By: cutie2all28
Date Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 9:02am
I learned how to do my own hair from my friend. I watched her and over time I got better. I go to other stylist from time to time to get a break and to also check out their techniques. It takes a while to do your own hair but the best part about is I save a whole lotta money!!
I did this myself about a week ago using HC hair from my stash. 
  http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh161/cutie2all27/28b997289252.jpg" rel="no follow - http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh161/cutie2all27/28b997289252.jpg

Posted By: likecandee
Date Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 9:33am
I may try my own install next. You all are inspiring.  I had a friend braid my hair and then I sewed on the tracks.  The net makes it SO much easier. 

Cutie2 - Nice install.  Love the ring!! Is that a princess cut?

Posted By: cutie2all28
Date Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 9:39am
likecandee,
Yes it is a princess cut. Thanks!!

Posted By: likecandee
Date Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 11:55am
Nice!!Thumbs%20Up

Posted By: KBeeH
Date Posted: Jan 28 2008 at 11:58am
Originally posted by cutie2all28 cutie2all28 wrote:

I learned how to do my own hair from my friend. I watched her and over time I got better. I go to other stylist from time to time to get a break and to also check out their techniques. It takes a while to do your own hair but the best part about is I save a whole lotta money!!
  http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh161/cutie2all27/28b997289252.jpg" rel="no follow - http://i256.photobucket.com/albums/hh161/cutie2all27/28b997289252.jpg

Good job cutie! Did you leave some out or was it a full weave?

And again, congratulations on your ring. (was it the ih hair that got you that??)LOL

Posted By: Malwina
Date Posted: Feb 18 2008 at 1:54pm
Wow! I've been searching for a topic like this and I didn't find one... weird? I thought that people that sew-in by themselves just don't exist :)
I am forced to install my weave by myself, because in my town they play only with European hair... I wasn't gonna pay $200 for installing anyway.
I'm buying 18'' of this one: http://www.hairsisters.com/ver2/ViewDetail.php?product_id=414.

The thing is, I don't know a damn thing about weaves, wigs etc. I was about to take intensive care of my own hair this year, but I'm just too impatient to wait for results.

I have so so so much questions:
#1 I understand I'll have to braid my hair before sewing in. I have never seen anyone doing corn-rows on my own eyes, so I have a question, that may seem stupid a little: what happens to hair in the back? How can I cover that part under a weave? Or maybe I have to cut my hair? I mean that part, if you don't know what I mean (and you surely don't ;)):

#2 How tracks in the hell I need to cover my full head?! Is there any way to check it? I import my weave so I have to be sure.

#3 My hair is tex-laxed to 3B texture for now. Will it be visible if I weave my hair the Malaysian method?

--------

Maybe someone would make an official Self-Weaving Thread, similar to "Weave 101"? I think it would be extremely helpful.

Date Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 6:24am
bump :)
I really need to know this :(

Posted By: Nadiesca
Date Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 7:38am
Question 1 : What i do is a take half of the braid in
the back and cross to the right and i do the same with the other half but cross it to the left then i sew them so they lay flat in the back on my head

Question 2: it depend what kind of style you do...i start sewing from ears to ears and it depend how much braid you do

Hope u understand my answers

Date Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 8:55am
Yep, thank you, now I know what to do with braids in the back Smile

Referring to my 2nd question... I lurked in Hairsisters.com's FAQ and here's what they say about full-head weaving:

"How many packs of weaving or braiding hair do I need to do for full-head?   
On average, a customer would require two packs of weaving hair or two to three packs of braiding hair for a full-head. However, this figure may not be the true for you. It all depends on your head size and fullness you're anticipating. Please consult hair experts."

So I have 3 packs in my shopping bag for now Disapprove Are "packs" the same as "tracks"?

Posted By: qtslim83
Date Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 8:58am

1 "pack" normally equals 4 oz of hair, most people need about 6-8 oz for a full weave.  I think you have more than enoughWink.  I would just get the two packs

Posted By: Phatty*Girl
Date Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 8:59am
Originally posted by Malwina Malwina wrote:

#1 I understand I'll have to braid my hair before sewing in. I have never seen anyone doing corn-rows on my own eyes, so I have a question, that may seem stupid a little: what happens to hair in the back? How can I cover that part under a weave? Or maybe I have to cut my hair? I mean that part, if you don't know what I mean (and you surely don't ;)):

#2 How tracks in the hell I need to cover my full head?! Is there any way to check it? I import my weave so I have to be sure.

#3 My hair is tex-laxed to 3B texture for now. Will it be visible if I weave my hair the Malaysian method?

Take the ends of the hair and put it in between the two cornrows next to it.  ie. (we are going to move from right to left) With that said, the braid closest to his ear-braid #1, put the end between braid #1 and #2.  The end of braid #2, put that between braid #2 and #3, and so on so forth.  You then sew the hair to the cornrows so that it's flat.

4 o.z is for a partial weave and 8 oz. is for a full head.  Some people can get away with 4-6 oz for a full head weave so it all depends on your head size and how full you want your hair to be.  Keep in mind that the longer the hair length, the less hair per track.  (ie. if a 4oz track is continuous, 14" will be 75" all together, but if you purchase 22" of hair, the continuous track will be 50" <--these numbers are not accurate)

Sorry but I don't know what the malaysian method is.Confused  However, if you plan on leaving your hair out (ie. edges, horseshoe), get hair that is closest to your hair's texture, that way, blending won't be too much of a hassle (which totally takes away from the weave experience)

Posted By: PretentiousBAP
Date Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 9:00am

Yep, thank you, now I know what to do with braids in the back Smile

Referring to my 2nd question... I lurked in Hairsisters.com's FAQ and here's what they say about full-head weaving:

On average, a customer would require two packs of weaving hair or two to three packs of braiding hair for a full-head. However, this figure may not be the true for you. It all depends on your head size and fullness you're anticipating. Please consult hair experts."

So I have 3 packs in my shopping bag for now Disapprove Are "packs" the same as "tracks"?

Three packs should be more than enough for a full weave. "Packs" are the similar to "oz's." For ex., one pack of hair equals 4 oz, therefore 2 packs of hair equals 8 oz's and is generally enough hair for a full install.

Tracks are the wefts in which the hair is placed upon, you should base the amount of hair purchased by the number of "packs" or "ounces," as opposed to the number of tracks.

Date Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 9:30am
Oh, that's good 3 oz is more than enough as you claim. It's silky straight hair so I don't want it to look on me like I just stopped swimming. And I saw that look often while lurking Fotki's ;)

Originally posted by Phatty*Girl Phatty*Girl wrote:

Sorry but I don't know what the malaysian method is.Confused  However, if you plan on leaving your hair out (ie. edges, horseshoe), get hair that is closest to your hair's texture, that way, blending won't be too much of a hassle (which totally takes away from the weave experience)

The case is, I don't want any of my hair be visible, you know...
My natural hair is relaxed, but it's still curly, like 3B type when it's dry, so it will look very strange with my silky straight weave. Is it possible to weave a full head without any natural hair sticking out?

Another problem came to my head:
I want weave literally a WHOLE head, but I don't want to have a parting in the center of my head... And I see this often while lurking weave suppliers' sites. When I will get my weave, I will surely be rocking high ponytails most of the time (I love that look), so my hair will be pulled to the back...
How and when I place a parting during weaving?

Posted By: DIYchic
Date Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 10:03am
Not only do I do my own, braids and all, I alsp do weave for others. I taught myself because I go to uni ouside London where ther are NO black hairdressers so I took the plundge and found it was not hard at all. If anyone wants to see my latest weave I will out up a few pics Wink.

Date Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 10:32am
Yep, I'd love to see your weaves ! Big%20smile

Date Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 10:47am
just working out how to get pics from my phone to my laptop, once I do i'll post them either in here or create a thread

Posted By: Unique Monique
Date Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 4:02pm
Practice, Practice, Practice.  Oh and did I say Practice.  Try it on a friend as well!!!

Posted By: Sistagirl27
Date Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 4:29pm

I've been doing my sew ins for the last two year simply because 1. I cannot afford a stylist and 2.because I hate glues. I've been braiding hair since high school so corn rown came easy. If you don't know how to brais well, I'd suggest that you practice first.

I've also seen a method where you wrap your hair, leaving the perimeter out. Make a tiny braid between the hair left out and the wrap. Sew a net onto that braid, then sew the extensions onto the net. This works well for a full weave.

Posted By: ossai
Date Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 4:31pm
i'd like to see too!

Posted By: gold.nile
Date Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 4:54pm
Great topic!! Im going to try this very soon..waiting on Wags to get more hurr!

Posted By: LANIBEAUTY4U
Date Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 6:09pm
I AGREE..practice makes it much easier...
ive been doin my own weaves for nine years now... ive found that if you use the net.. it is much easier!!

Date Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 6:26pm
Hey Girls, see my most recent self done weaves below!

(ETA: I've put the pics in another thread to avoid repetition)

Posted By: mecadsmith
Date Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 6:44pm
yes I have been sewing my own weave in my hair since the age of 16. And I am now 25.  I do a couple of other heads now and then. Smile

Posted By: adorkablebarbie
Date Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 6:50pm
I want to do my own, but I can't cornrow on myself for sh*t.

Date Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 6:58pm
member_profile.asp?PF=21261&FID=22" rel="no follow - DIYchic , looks very good!

Someone mind answering my questions from the previous page? Wink I'd be thankful.

Date Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 7:01pm
Thanks!

Remind me of the question.

member_profile.asp?PF=21261&FID=22" rel="no follow - DIYchic , looks very good!

Someone mind answering my questions from the previous page? Wink I'd be thankful.

Date Posted: Feb 19 2008 at 8:03pm

Did mine today!!

<----New install in avi

Date Posted: Feb 20 2008 at 11:25am
I've quoted my post:

Oh, that's good 3 oz is more than enough as you claim. It's silky straight hair so I don't want it to look on me like I just stopped swimming. And I saw that look often while lurking Fotki's ;)

Originally posted by Phatty*Girl Phatty*Girl wrote:

The case is, I don't want any of my hair be visible, you know...
My natural hair is relaxed, but it's still curly, like 3B type when it's dry, so it will look very strange with my silky straight weave. Is it possible to weave a full head without any natural hair sticking out?

Another problem came to my head:
I want weave literally a WHOLE head, but I don't want to have a parting in the center of my head... And I see this often while lurking weave suppliers' sites. When I will get my weave, I will surely be rocking high ponytails most of the time (I love that look), so my hair will be pulled to the back...
How and when I place a parting during weaving?

Posted By: Roro
Date Posted: Feb 20 2008 at 12:07pm
Originally posted by cutie2all28 cutie2all28 wrote:

NICEThumbs%20Up

Posted By: morning_glory
Date Posted: Feb 21 2008 at 3:03am
Originally posted by melly melly wrote:

all this time im been paying money to  hairdressers when i could of learn how to put in a weave by my damn self  u guys make it seem so simple
can someone explain to me how do u put in a weave on ur own step by step

Ok. Here is what I am going to do :)

I haven't ever done a weave on myself...but the first time I had a weave, it was a partial and I ended up braiding the left out hair on my own and fixing it because, well, she did a crappy job.

I'm going to use the hair from that time though because it's been layered already.

First I'll wash and treat and dry and probably flat iron my hair..
I'm just going to leave some hair out at the front and top and then the perimieter, and clip that out of the way.
Then the rest of the hair will be cornrowed back in about 8 little rows and the ends (cuz my hairs getting kinda long now wa-hey!) will probably be sewn along the cornrows, in between them. This is the easiest way I can do it, I've tried to cornrow from side to side, but it was too complicated and this is  my first time hehe.
Then I'll sew the tracks in from side to side. I may get my mom or sister to help with that part. I don't have weaving thread so I have to use a very durable regular black thread.

Anyway, I'll post photos when I am done. Wish me luck! I'm giving myself about 5 hours to finish it all haha

Good luck to you too Melly, I'm excited to see how this turns out! I'm hoping I can get good enough to start working on clients and maybe charging. i've seen the standards for weaves out here Dead

Date Posted: Feb 21 2008 at 7:44am
^^^Girl, be careful with that thread! If you use regualr thread its gonna be alot thinner than hair weaving thread and it won't be as easy to take out in the end. If I were you I'd just pick some up...

Posted By: diorcherie
Date Posted: Feb 21 2008 at 8:49am
how do you sew accross in the back of your head and still keep the track in a straight line.  I've done 2 installs on myself but took them out the next day.  Had problems closing and the weave tracks were so spaced out in the back.

Posted By: marilyn
Date Posted: Feb 21 2008 at 9:02am
You can check out my page hope it helps have fun with it don,t stress practice, practice. I know it,s easy for me to say but I to had to get better and look at me now

Date Posted: Feb 21 2008 at 9:34am
Mine usually stays pretty str8 if I hold it in place with bobby pins. Usually a little bit over a bag covers it for me. I space it out in the back and put the ones in the front/top really close together, then go back and fill in any noticable gaps in the back. HTH

Posted By: chill67
Date Posted: Feb 21 2008 at 10:38am
Originally posted by honeyb1181 honeyb1181 wrote:

Mine usually stays pretty str8 if I hold it in place with bobby pins. Usually a little bit over a bag covers it for me. I space it out in the back and put the ones in the front/top really close together, then go back and fill in any noticable gaps in the back. HTH

There is no getting away from it . . . practice is the only way.

Posted By: diorcherie
Date Posted: Feb 21 2008 at 1:22pm
do the cornrows have to be really tight.  I can corn row but my cornrows are not as tight. 

Posted By: DatGyalFab
Date Posted: Feb 21 2008 at 2:37pm
I do mine myself and my cornrows are pretty small and tight...but Ive been braiding since i was 12(on my twin sisters hair) so I have no excuse. I think the small and tighter the better because when you wash the hair..you need the cornrows to stand up to the test.

Date Posted: Feb 21 2008 at 2:49pm
Yeah...so I tried and it didn't work. My hair just wouldn't braid properly and I didn't know how to sew the ends up so that it would still lie flat. I ended up using clip ins hehe. I have them on in my avi.

Date Posted: Feb 21 2008 at 2:57pm

^^^Girl, be careful with that thread! If you use regualr thread its gonna be alot thinner than hair weaving thread and it won't be as easy to take out in the end. If I were you I'd just pick some up...

I don't know where I can buy it out here :(

But it wasn't a problem anyway, my braids weren't too tight so I was able to just slide the thread out.

Date Posted: Feb 21 2008 at 3:03pm
Hey I don,t know if anyone tried to get into my braids methods album on fotki. You can pm me for that code if you are interestedSmile

Posted By: BonitaApplebaum
Date Posted: Feb 21 2008 at 3:36pm

i just want to know how to close the top for a full head weave without a closure piece. Does anyone know how this is done?

Date Posted: Feb 21 2008 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by BonitaApplebaum BonitaApplebaum wrote:

i just want to know how to close the top for a full head weave without a closure piece. Does anyone know how this is done?

When  you get to the top, just make sure the hole is small at least half the size of a dime and use glue to close it. That isn,t the correct way but it might be difficult for you to close it yourself without exposing the tracks. That will work fine for now.

Posted By: BonitaApplebaum
Date Posted: Feb 21 2008 at 4:13pm
Thanks Marilyn.Smile   Okay so if u were doing someone else's full head weave would u use a net?

Date Posted: Feb 21 2008 at 4:28pm
You can do, I like to do this but it is not mandatory for you to do so. I like to use a net as it puts less pressure on my real hair. However, with my current install I sewed  directly onto my own cornrows.

Just depends on your preference really. 

Originally posted by BonitaApplebaum BonitaApplebaum wrote:

Thanks Marilyn.Smile   Okay so if u were doing someone else's full head weave would u use a net?

Posted By: latin lovexoxo
Date Posted: Feb 21 2008 at 6:24pm
wow this is a great  topic..but now i need to kno this...what sewing technique do you use to sew tracks with....like what is your looping and knotting patterns...i hope im sayin this right....

Posted By: kishakish
Date Posted: Feb 21 2008 at 6:34pm
Marilyn...youre the best!!! I just loop...over and over....or shall I say around and around. Im sure someone here can explain better then I can

Posted By: dividir
Date Posted: Feb 22 2008 at 8:08am

You only need 2 packs, if its the same packaging that they use over here (england.) Anything more will just look bulky on your head.

I have a medium to large head (New Era 5950 caps size 7 3/8) and I take two packs to he hairdressers and usually have a bit left over

So im guessing 1 standard size pack or weft hair is 4oz

Date Posted: Feb 22 2008 at 8:21am
You can also close off your weave using the bookends method where you do still leave a spot wherever you want your part to be and then take two tracks and sew them closetogether and down unto your base.  I don't know if that makes sense or not.   The problem is practicing how to sew it down into your base without it looking lumpy.

Date Posted: Feb 22 2008 at 1:02pm
Originally posted by latin lovexoxo latin lovexoxo wrote:

wow this is a great  topic..but now i need to kno this...what sewing technique do you use to sew tracks with....like what is your looping and knotting patterns...i hope im sayin this right....

anybody kno the knotting and sewing method used to sew the trax in cuz ima probably sew it in like i was patchin up a torn shirt...is that the way to do it...

Posted By: caliizactive
Date Posted: Mar 08 2008 at 9:28pm
bump..

Posted By: SherrieLee
Date Posted: Mar 09 2008 at 7:41am
bump

Posted By: MDFLDiva
Date Posted: Mar 09 2008 at 11:38am
bumping for more info.

Date Posted: Mar 09 2008 at 12:08pm
Have you all checked out thabaddestbaby's fotki tutorials?  She has some great ones on how to do weaves.  It's better to look at pics I think than for someone to type how to do the actually stitching.  Her fotki addy is in the extensiosn 101 thread.  Also, His and Her has a great video collection: http://www.hisandher.com/hairvideo.asp" rel="no follow - http://www.hisandher.com/hairvideo.asp

Date Posted: Mar 09 2008 at 4:04pm
Originally posted by dividir dividir wrote:

You only need 2 packs, if its the same packaging that they use over here (england.) Anything more will just look bulky on your head.

But I want thick hair... Doesn't it depend on amount of packs...?

I was just viewing this thread from the start and I realized that you drop words that I don't even know the meaning of...
What's a closure piece and a net?

Thanks for a video tutorial.

Date Posted: Mar 09 2008 at 5:55pm
thanx nichelle for the hisandhers video site on sewing ...great pix and now i think im ready for my first self install!!.....wish me luck.....

Posted By: dividir
Date Posted: Mar 10 2008 at 12:43am
I've been told by many hair stylists that you only need a max of 2 (standard size) packs of hair.

2 whole packs has never been used on my hair

The look of thickness may be achievable with the cut.

is the hair straight? or curly /wavy?

Date Posted: Mar 10 2008 at 2:43pm
straight... that's why i'm confused

so what's a closure piece and a net?

Posted By: Wildfire
Date Posted: Mar 10 2008 at 4:57pm
I did my first one in January....i cornrowed my hair all the way back, then just cut each track and sewed it across. The only part I had difficulty with, was closing it, and my sister did that for me. All in all, I'd say it wasnt too difficult at all...the most tiring part was the corn-rowsWink

Posted By: Miss B
Date Posted: Mar 10 2008 at 7:18pm
I just did mine last weekend. It took a minute but it wasn't that bad. I know what to look out for next time. Imma avoid the cutesy cornrows and take them things straight back, lol. I used a closure piece for the top (them things aint as easy as they look)

A net is just a net they sell at the beauty supply store that is sewn over the braids. This helps b/c you can put the track wherever you want, not just on the braid.

A closure piece is a base with hair coming through it that is used to get a natural looking part without having to leave any of your own hair out. The one I used was small and circular, b/c I was getting bangs and thats all I needed. Others are a little bigger, with an actual part.

Date Posted: Mar 11 2008 at 6:33pm
Now I know ALMOST everything.
I'm doing researches about self-weaving every day, and every day I'm getting more and more convinced of easiness of this process.

So the last questions - why there is two other types of needles available? Do I need the hooked and the crooked one too?

And if I have a net put on my head, do I also need to have perfect cornrows (because it's supposed to be a foundation for a perfect hairstyle)? Or then  cornrows are less important?

I personally don't suffer any balding, but my edges on the front are all of different lenght and they stick out in an ugly way :P Do I need a net? I can put up photos of my hair.

And the last - what's up with wearing high ponytails? Does it depend on in what direction I'll be weaving? I wanted to close my weave by some method someone from here put on their Fotki, because seems like closure piece will make me unable to wear my beloved high ponytails. Am I right?

--------------------

I also took a look at lace fronts on online stores? Lace front wig would cost me almost the same as my tracks, however it's easier to apply and it lasts longer... So what makes you, ladies, choose weaves over lace front units?

Date Posted: Mar 13 2008 at 3:01pm
bump..

Posted By: Phresh
Date Posted: Mar 13 2008 at 3:51pm
Hi, I would love to do this, lol, but I would need the practice. I bond my extensions right now, but ultimately, self sew-ins are my goal.

Tongue

Lemme "study" a few more posts and see what I can get creative with!  lol

Date Posted: Mar 15 2008 at 8:41pm
bumpie bumpie :D

Date Posted: Mar 16 2008 at 10:27am

Now I know ALMOST everything.
I'm doing researches about self-weaving every day, and every day I'm getting more and more convinced of easiness of this process.

So the last questions - why there is two other types of needles available? Do I need the hooked and the crooked one too?
A curved needle is easier especially when you're doing your own hair.

And if I have a net put on my head, do I also need to have perfect cornrows (because it's supposed to be a foundation for a perfect hairstyle)? Or then  cornrows are less important?
Perfect cornrows are not neccessary especially with a net. The braiding pattern you decide on may help with the flattness of you install though.
I personally don't suffer any balding, but my edges on the front are all of different lenght and they stick out in an ugly way :P Do I need a net? I can put up photos of my hair.
You don't need a net but it does come in handy because you can sew onto places where their is no hair like between cornrows. It also eases the tension on your hair.
And the last - what's up with wearing high ponytails? Does it depend on in what direction I'll be weaving? I wanted to close my weave by some method someone from here put on their Fotki, because seems like closure piece will make me unable to wear my beloved high ponytails. Am I right?
I've only worn a closure once but IMO closures might not be the best route if you plan on wearing hight ponies. Maybe someone else can answer this one...
--------------------

I also took a look at lace fronts on online stores? Lace front wig would cost me almost the same as my tracks, however it's easier to apply and it lasts longer... So what makes you, ladies, choose weaves over lace front units?
I've never worn a LF, but I may consider it in the future after doing more research on it. For me weaves are "safe" because it's what I know. LOL.

HTH Good luck to you! I'm sure you'll do fine and don't forget to post pics!

Posted By: TruAxiom
Date Posted: Apr 03 2008 at 8:32pm
Was that your first time doing an install?

Can anyone tell/direct me to how to flat weave? I haven't done one before and plan on going to a braid shop for the cornrows.

Did mine today!!

<----New install in avi

Posted By: gold.nile
Date Posted: Apr 04 2008 at 2:28pm
this may sound dumb, but how do u sew on the net? Must u cover all the conrows with the net? Hope some one can give me a better visual.

Date Posted: Apr 06 2008 at 7:15pm
*bump*

Date Posted: Apr 11 2008 at 6:22pm
*bumpity bump*

Posted By: Sassyright
Date Posted: Apr 15 2008 at 2:05pm

sew the net on to the braid

Posted By: missconstrued
Date Posted: Apr 15 2008 at 8:33pm
Hi All .. Newbie here Star

I am currently transitioning and I've been wearing partial weaves (that I do myself). However now I am 11 weeks post and these partial sew ins aren't looking too good. Does anyone know/or can point me in the direction of how to do a full sew in (with a part of swoosh because I hate bangs) I've added images below to be a little more clear of the look I am hoping to achieve.

The part look

The swoosh look

Both looks

TIA Ladies!

Posted By: missconstrued
Date Posted: Apr 15 2008 at 8:34pm
Sorry for the big pics .. I thought I resized them Embarrassed

Posted By: toomanykids
Date Posted: Apr 16 2008 at 6:40am

what products do you guys use to blend your hair with the weave?

Posted By: Phatty*Girl
Date Posted: Apr 16 2008 at 7:50am
missconstrued

hey chica, i think the bookendmethod nichelle suggested a few pages back would definately work best for the swoosh.

Print Page | Close Window