Forum Description: Archive Section
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=107652
Printed Date: Jun 23 2018 at 5:36am

Topic: Why BC Thin, See Through Ends?
Posted By: Ediese
Subject: Why BC Thin, See Through Ends?
Date Posted: Dec 17 2007 at 7:53am
Ladies,

I'm really curious to know why some of you decide to chop off your healthy ends because it's thin, and see through.

I've noticed (through my fotki stalking of course) that many women that chose to keep their ends were able to significantly improve it. Just a few names at the top of my head; TiffanyO, JenniferMD, McElweewife. I know that some of these women did get their ends trimmed gradually, but they didn't chop it all off.

So, ladies, if you have healthy ends that are thin and see through, why do you chop it off to start fresh?

Replies:
Posted By: mstoya25
Date Posted: Dec 17 2007 at 8:02am
I think it looks better to have full hair from root to tip.....Thin ends just look like you need a trim...to me anyway...

Posted By: alynxx
Date Posted: Dec 17 2007 at 8:06am
I am part of the click that hasn't bc'd! I got a few comments on my fotki that I should cut the see thru ends (about 2 inches!) but because I don't really show my hair anyway, I don't see the point. Baggying keeps my ends intact and Profectiv healthy ends works wonders!

Date Posted: Dec 17 2007 at 8:18am
I think that I might cut it off when I reach BSL, but not a second sooner. To me when you cut it off, you're just cutting off all your progress and you have to start all over again. When I reach BSL, I won't might cutting it down to APL. It was just so hard getting past SL, I don't want to go back. lol kinda scared it might not got back there.

Posted By: mcelweewife
Date Posted: Dec 17 2007 at 9:06am
Originally posted by Ediese Ediese wrote:

I think that I might cut it off when I reach BSL, but not a second sooner. To me when you cut it off, you're just cutting off all your progress and you have to start all over again. When I reach BSL, I won't might cutting it down to APL. It was just so hard getting past SL, I don't want to go back. lol kinda scared it might not got back there.

It'll grow back, no need to fear!Approve I dont trim my hair at ALL, because I always cut off too much. I just let my stylist do it when I get a touch up (2-3 times a year). She has NEVER heard of BHM or Cathy Howse, but in all the years I have gone to her (on and off since 2001) she has NEVER been scissor happy. She told me that when she was young, the beauticians would always cut off more than what was necessary, and she never wanted to be THAT kind of stylist. She only trims what NEEDS to be trimmed and nothing more, that's why I love her so much!Heart It's really hard to find a stylist you can connect with and who listens. That's why I always give her $100.00 for my touch up. (She only charges 65.00, but she does such a good job, I feel compelled to give her that extra 35.00 bucks).

Date Posted: Dec 17 2007 at 9:46am
Originally posted by mcelweewife mcelweewife wrote:

It'll grow back, no need to fear!Approve I dont trim my hair at ALL, because I always cut off too much. I just let my stylist do it when I get a touch up (2-3 times a year). She has NEVER heard of BHM or Cathy Howse, but in all the years I have gone to her (on and off since 2001) she has NEVER been scissor happy. She told me that when she was young, the beauticians would always cut off more than what was necessary, and she never wanted to be THAT kind of stylist. She only trims what NEEDS to be trimmed and nothing more, that's why I love her so much!Heart It's really hard to find a stylist you can connect with and who listens. That's why I always give her $100.00 for my touch up. (She only charges 65.00, but she does such a good job, I feel compelled to give her that extra 35.00 bucks).

you betta believe that your stylist is worth the money!!!She is def doing a good job with your touch ups! my best friend and I do mini trims for each other and it is never more than 1/2 to 3/4 of an inch!!

Posted By: MedMunky
Date Posted: Dec 17 2007 at 9:55am
I personally like fullness from root to ends. I have no qualms about chopping off my ends when they get thin or split or rough. To me the hair looks healthier, neater, more well-groomed without see-thru ends. Taking care of the ends counts for a lot. Fewer split ends = less hair breakage, so the ends stay fuller and stronger, longer, and therefore no need to chop them off.  

Posted By: LdySpartyLo
Date Posted: Dec 17 2007 at 10:34am
Originally posted by MedMunky MedMunky wrote:

I personally like fullness from root to ends. I have no qualms about chopping off my ends when they get thin or split or rough. To me the hair looks healthier, neater, more well-groomed without see-thru ends. Taking care of the ends counts for a lot. Fewer split ends = less hair breakage, so the ends stay fuller and stronger, longer, and therefore no need to chop them off.  

ITA!!  My hair looks worse if I try to hang on to thinner ends and make it work with the thicker, healthier hair.  The last time I took off over an inch of hair (almost 2 inches) was because I changed to PhytoRelaxer and the ends of my hair that had different relaxer looked awful compared to the rest.  I hated doing the cut, but my hair looked so much better and grew out more evenly.  The last trim I did six months later it was definitely more of dusting and didn't require a BC.  Ditching the thin ends always works out better for me.  I more concerned about how all my hair looks rather worrying about where the ends of my hair hangs.

Date Posted: Dec 17 2007 at 10:42am
I totally understand where you guys are coming from, but take a look at this picture that I found on another board (hope she won't mind). This lady chose not to cut her hair even though it was little see through and look at how beautiful and thick it looks one year later.

http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/5/12/17/f_thIMG005601m_273f42c.jpg&srv=img30" rel="no follow">

Date Posted: Dec 17 2007 at 10:44am
I think it depends on your preference, a little dusting or mini trim is enough for me! as long as there is hair growing out of my scalp the thickness will eventually seep thru to the ends anyways!

Date Posted: Dec 17 2007 at 10:46am
I also understand where you're coming from Alynnx because I wear sew-ins all the time and no one sees my hair down. So, what's the point in cutting it.

Date Posted: Dec 17 2007 at 10:48am

I also understand where you're coming from Alynnx because I wear sew-ins all the time and no one sees my hair down. So, what's the point in cutting it.

PREACH!

Posted By: plastic
Date Posted: Dec 17 2007 at 11:03am

I totally understand where you guys are coming from, but take a look at this picture that I found on another board (hope she won't mind). This lady chose not to cut her hair even though it was little see through and look at how beautiful and thick it looks one year later.

http://www.picoodle.com/view.php?img=/5/12/17/f_thIMG005601m_273f42c.jpg&srv=img30" rel="no follow">

I am not being mean or anything, her hair is totally gorgeous, but it seems to be about the same length or two inches longer, are you sure that she did not cut ?

Personally, i would not cut my hair if it was looking thinner than usual. Actually in May when i was doing utter crap to my hair, it started to thin like whoa, so i kept my hair up and stuff and it got better. But if i had like serious strandy ends, they would have to go

Date Posted: Dec 17 2007 at 11:09am
Plastic: I'm not sure about the cut, but it looks like it thickened up even from the roots.

This is what she said contributed to her thickness.

The majority of my thickness came from texlaxing. My old stylist was overprocessing me and I didn't realize it until I came to **.

Other things that I do:
No direct heat
98% of the time Airdrying - Other 2% rollersets
Deep cond. 2x/wk

Posted By: mstoya25
Date Posted: Dec 17 2007 at 11:57am
The no-heat, airdrying, and ending the overprocessing thickened her hair up, not the no-trimming.....I will go thru my twists and if there is a knot or a strand longer than the other, off it goes.   I never trim all my hair at one time, except when I was relaxed....But when my hair was relaxed, if I blowdried, flat-iron and wrapped my hair it would be flat like that, but if I airdried, I have a 'fro, so my hair would look thicker.....I'm just saying....Trim or don't trim, it's up to the individual....

Posted By: B_phlyy
Date Posted: Dec 17 2007 at 12:43pm
To me, the notion of "healthy" see-thru ends is a bit of an oxymoron. I'm more of a "get it over with" so if I know the ends will have to eventually go, why delay the inevitable.

As for the lady, I'm with plastic. Her hair only looks a little bit longer, so while she didn't do a BC, she definitely did some aggressive trimming. So her ends in the second pictures where probably about earlength in the first picture and because she started taking better care of her hair, they never thinned out.

Posted By: CenteredGirl
Date Posted: Dec 17 2007 at 12:45pm
My theory is that the thin ends usually break off as they are indicative of those that have broken off already.  It's just a matter of time.  Getting rid of them is getting rid of damaged hair. 

Posted By: amerikan
Date Posted: Dec 17 2007 at 1:50pm
I trim about 1/4 an inch of hair every 3 months for neatness. I cut my hair in Nov. to even it out and it's at least 2.5 inches longer this month (update tomorrow). A trim or chop will not kill your progress. I'll cut whatever is necessary to keep my hair looking good, even and healthy. it's just hair it will grow back.

Posted By: Cheveux
Date Posted: Dec 17 2007 at 2:18pm

Actually I agree with you.  I think dusting and 'search and destroys' are better than a BC IF you don't have ridiculous stragglers or the kind that are from bad old relaxer dry ends.  I have see-thru stragglers in the front and I am just going to have her angle my front to get rid of it.  The back only needs about 1/4 to 1/2 inch of a trim, and I want her to follow the V formation which is the way hair tends to grow in the back.

I also pay my stylist a lot like Wifey because it encourages them to do what you want to keep you coming back.  I am tempted to just do a major dusting myself, but can't see the back well enough.  I think I could angle the front, but I know that it will look much better by the stylist.

Posted By: bronzeg
Date Posted: Dec 18 2007 at 8:44am
i was one of those ppl who wanted to hang on to my hair...but honestly, it just didn't look good..eventhough i did not wear my hair dwn..it just looked ummm...nasty...any who..i chopped...and i am soo much happier ...i realized that it was only hair, and it would grow back..better:

august-december;sorry, my hair wasn't comned properly;

Eta: my sig looks better..

Posted By: iluvweekends
Date Posted: Dec 18 2007 at 10:22am
My ends are pretty see thru and I refuse to do the BC. If I do wear my hair out which is very rare I will wear it curly like in my avatar. Normally, it's in my protective style - under my half wig.

Posted By: MissyPooh
Date Posted: Dec 18 2007 at 10:50am
I hate see through, thin looking ends on me so if they were to look like that they'd have to go. To me, it doesn't look healthy.

My friend told me yesterday she's jealous of my hair and she hasn't even seen it yet, but she knows I'm taking care of it. Since July, she's been holding on to dead hair. I realized a while ago she's more concerned with length vs. health. In her case, her ends are split to high heavens. I made her a 3 month regimen that she would've completed last month. Had she cut those things off she'd probably be right where she's at now,  just with a healthier head of hair.

Posted By: cutie
Date Posted: Dec 18 2007 at 11:09am
my ends could probably use a trim now.  the last time i got a big trim was b/c they were always frizzy.  this time, my ends aren't frizzy, just ugly and uneven.  i've realized it grows in an unusual pattern like a "w" so if i keep cutting it to even it, it will just grow back like that again.  but just for neatness and since it's almost been a year since my last trim, i'm going to trim the ends just a bit when i remove this sew in.  when i reach apl, i'm going to keep it trimmed to apl until it gets full, then let it grow longer. i love healthy, full ends.

Date Posted: Dec 18 2007 at 11:15am
Okay... I have a question for all of you that won't be opposed to just cutting it off. I think my hair looks thinner because for the past year I've been having problems with my nape area. I swear whenever I relaxed the back of my hair days later I would notice that all of the hair completely broke up. I started chopping my whole head trying to even things out. This happened again in January, so I chopped my hair off again (short bob). I guess back then I didn't realize it was a combination of the relaxer and my iron deficiency that broke my hair off.

Anyway, now that my hair has grown back, it looks a little thin because whereas other parts of my hair is 12-16" inches. The nape area is about 5". Would you guys chop off that hair to even it out with the nape area?

Posted By: B_phlyy
Date Posted: Dec 18 2007 at 5:28pm

Okay... I have a question for all of you that won't be opposed to just cutting it off. I think my hair looks thinner because for the past year I've been having problems with my nape area. I swear whenever I relaxed the back of my hair days later I would notice that all of the hair completely broke up. I started chopping my whole head trying to even things out. This happened again in January, so I chopped my hair off again (short bob). I guess back then I didn't realize it was a combination of the relaxer and my iron deficiency that broke my hair off.

Anyway, now that my hair has grown back, it looks a little thin because whereas other parts of my hair is 12-16" inches. The nape area is about 5". Would you guys chop off that hair to even it out with the nape area?

Well, in your case, it's probably not that your ends are thin, just that one area of your hair hair is much shorter than the rest. I wouldn't BC, but if it really bothers you, maybe you could trim a little bit over a period of time.

A lot of people have problems with their nape and don't cut, but definitely step their game up. Two people I can think of are loulou and loolah (I hope they don't mind the shout out). Sometimes the nape hair has to be treated differently than the rest of the hair to see results. Try stretching relaxing the area by only doing it with every other touch up, or relaxing that area last.

Date Posted: Dec 18 2007 at 6:39pm

Thanks for the advice B phlyy.  You're right it's not necessarily thin, but gives off that impression because the nape is so short. I'll definitely try to take extra care of that area.

Posted By: Elektra
Date Posted: Dec 18 2007 at 6:55pm
Personally I don't like see through ends. I would rather cut now and be done with it then hold on to them. It kinda bothers me to see girls out in public with stringy see through ends. Even though it is none of my business.

Posted By: SassyShani
Date Posted: Dec 18 2007 at 8:15pm
I personally always cut my thin ends...as of now since ihave been keeping in under wraps i can't wait to take off an inch in march

Posted By: tiffanyoneal
Date Posted: Dec 18 2007 at 8:50pm

I remember seeing a picture of this lady. She was able to achieve this through texlaxing. Her hair looks alot fuller. As for my thin ends I agree with the poster that said she hangs on to them because she doesnít show her hair anyway. I just donít feel the need to cut them yet since I am not showing them. I feel that over the time of me stretching and wearing braids my hair will get thicker. I also feel that once that time comes where I stop wearing braids if my ends are still thin then I will get a cut. Hair just looks neater if itís full. But right now I am holding on every strand and using the castor oil and doing anything I can do to improve them while I hide them.Wink

ETA: Great post Ediese!Clap

Posted By: LdySpartyLo
Date Posted: Dec 18 2007 at 9:45pm

To be honest, I would need to see a picture to give a good answer, but many times (not always) the nape of your hair is shorter than the rest.  I wouldn't cut the rest to be even with the nape.  Just work on growing out your nape.  My nape used to always be short.  Even when I had SL hair 8 years ago, my nape was anemic looking.  Fast forward to now, my nape grows faster than the rest.  In addition to taking better care of it (no rubbing collars, moisturizing, etc.), I learned to keep my hands off it.  I know this sounds simple, but I realized that I was constantly picking in my kitchen.  When I broke the cycle of picking and rubbing, my nape grew.

Posted By: Claudie
Date Posted: Dec 18 2007 at 11:05pm
Co-signing with all that was stated by Lady and B Phlyy.

Some people can achieve their hair goal, then trim or cut the thin ends.  For me personally, I believe that the decision as to how drastic of a cut, or if only trims should be done should be  taken on an individual basis.  One person's ends can be thin 3/4", another person's hair can be thin going up to 4" or more. I have seen hair that was anoxeric, with proper care, and treatment.  The person's hair achieved good length and thickness, and only minor trims were done.

I am an advocate of gradual trims, moreso than drastic cuts.. 

Posted By: shae47
Date Posted: Dec 18 2007 at 11:18pm
Ediese, i had the same problem with my nape and i am still waiting for it to catch up to the rest. I used to lose all of my growth everytime i relaxed so i just stopped relaxing. my plan is to get to my first goal length of bsl and to do minor trims until my hair evens out. i think that thats a good plan for those with extremely uneven hair. and i must say that my hair has evened out on its own a lil in the past year.

Posted By: 2bBsL
Date Posted: Dec 18 2007 at 11:53pm

im coming to a cross roads as far as ends go too. either keep them and have layered hair, or cut them so its one length (longer on the top, shorter in the back) but i think its better to do it now and get it out of the way so later its not as much of a shock.

I could live with "no progress" for a couple months as opposed to reaching my goal and having my hair looking a mess.

Posted By: *5+5
Date Posted: Dec 19 2007 at 12:40am
I just cut off about 4 inches b/c my hair was growing straggly/thin on my right side and I have been trying to nurture it back to health for four months since I started my hair journey & it was not getting fuller at all only longer so I had it chopped to the thickest part b/c It was causing me to lose my "hair health" motivation.

Posted By: bluemac
Date Posted: Dec 19 2007 at 7:34am
I had a really bad relaxer incident last year that left my nape almost bald.   My ends were looking great (no splits) but it just appeared thin.   The difference in lengths was so frustrating...at one point it was so bad I started a thread on BHM saying I was going to chop it all off.   Fortunately the ladies talked some sense into me and I decided to just gradually trim a little bit each time.

It is slowly catching up but it's still a good 2 inches shorter than the rest of my hair.  However, I'm happy with the way it looks and won't be doing a BC anytime soon.

Date Posted: Dec 19 2007 at 7:46am

ediese...i would cut a bit..this was my case exactly...due to a bad relaxer last year..almost the whole back half was about 2 in" long...i nursed my hair back to f\good health, but the crown was about 3 in" longer than the back...suffice to say, i held on to the hair b/c that portion wsa pretty much APL...i finally made the decision to "even it up"...amazingly my hair had grown back pretty good and it is even....

how do you feel about it? do you feel like your hair would look alot better w/o the hair? do you feel like you can nurse it back??

Posted By: destinee1483
Date Posted: Dec 19 2007 at 10:24am
I love you for this post E!!!! I was really thinking of doing a big chop!!! you helped change my mind!!!!

Posted By: ms_b_haven06
Date Posted: Dec 19 2007 at 10:51am
I did it cause I wanted a fresh start my hair was pass SL b4 i cut it I did have thin ends from overprocessing. Now I have been in the game for 6 months and made a good come a round and dont believe I would have made it this far without a fresh start but everyone is different. I wasnt really worried about going from pass SL to EL cause it will all grow back if u TLC it.....and it is almost back where i started.

Date Posted: Dec 19 2007 at 11:37am

elektra
I don't like to see them either, but imo I don't wear my hair out anyway. So, why chop it all off? I think I'm going to hang on until I get to BSL and gradually trim from there. Hopefully, my nape starts catching up.

sasshyshani
I love to see thick hair from root to tip too, so I'm start trimming a little at a time when I get to my goal.

tiffanyoneal
Thanks girl! I understand that no one loves to see see thru ends, but why BC if you don't wear your hair out anyway? Yep, I agree that with stretching and protective styling it will definitely help our hair get thicker. I won't have a problem trimming when I get to my goal. Why not try to improve it in the meantime?  

LdySpartyLo
I posted a pic of my nape a couple weeks ago. It's definitely starting to grow, but it's no where near as long as the rest of my hair. When I get my hair straightened next week, I'll post some more. Back in February, I did BC to even out my hair with my nape. So, I'm deciding against doing that again. I'll definitely work on growing it out and gradually trim. Thanks for the tips, I have to keep my hands out of it. 

Claudie
I completely agree with you Claudie! It wouldn't be a big deal to trim 3/4", but 4" and more is alot to chop off esp. when I did that back in February. Since I've learned so much from being on this board, I can give it extra care to improve it. I don't think a BC is necessary for me.

shae47
Yep, it sounds like we have the same issue. I also stopped relaxing and trying to manipulate it into tight ponytails. Low and behold, my nape is filling in. I'm surely going to wait until I get to BSL to start gradually trimming...no BCs for me again. 

Date Posted: Dec 19 2007 at 12:00pm

2bBSL
I think I'll gradually trim it instead of chopping it all of now. This is how I see it. If I cut off 1/2 each month after I get to BSL, that'll help even out my hair and help make it fuller. In the process, I won't lose the length that I gained (since I'm cutting off the 1/2 that my hair grows 1/2'' each month). i won't gain any additional length, but the NG will be healthier and I'll just get rid of the ends, gradually. Hope that makes sense.

*5+5

I understand your decision, but for me I did that back in February so I'm looking for an alternative now. We'll see what happens.

bluemac
I had the same problem with a relaxer that jacked up my nape. Fortunately, my nape is definitely looking up. I'm definitely going to follow what you did. I'm happy you didn't chop it all off. No BCs for me either.

bronzeq
I will cut it, but gradually. I just don't feel like BCing again. I just did that back in February. Now that I know all that I do about proper hair car, I'm positive that I can improve it. I don't wear my hair out so I just don't see the point in chopping it off.  

destinee1483
Girl, the decision is ultimately yours, but I think that gradually trimming will work better for me. Why BC if you can trim a little off at a time. Proper care will definitely help you out. Good luck keep me posted.

ms b haven6
Your hair is looking great too! As for me, I'm not BCing again. I'll trim a little at a time. We'll see what happens next year.

Oh yeah..did you get that information for the Dominican salon in Houston? I posted it in that other post.

Date Posted: Dec 20 2007 at 11:42am
if that's your hair in your avi...i'm eating my words!! your hair looks greeat!! maybe all you need is a light trim??

Date Posted: Dec 20 2007 at 11:50am

No girl!! I wish it was. I would love this length and thickness.

Date Posted: Dec 20 2007 at 11:53am
oh..lol....it's banging though!!

Posted By: Tink
Date Posted: Dec 21 2007 at 6:11am
Originally posted by bronzeg bronzeg wrote:

i was one of those ppl who wanted to hang on to my hair...but honestly, it just didn't look good..eventhough i did not wear my hair dwn..it just looked ummm...nasty...any who..i chopped...and i am soo much happier ...i realized that it was only hair, and it would grow back..better:

august-december;sorry, my hair wasn't comned properly;

Eta: my sig looks better..
The August pic is how MY hair looks except maybe not as long. The last 3-4 inches are thin. I didn't want to cut them b/c of styling options. Now that my hair has grown about 2 inches, I'm ready to trim it. I'm going to wait until my camera arrives so that I can update before and after my trim. I'm excited about trimming b/c I know that I will still have some length and one side won't be longer than the other! I also co-sign w/Alynxx.

Print Page | Close Window