Forum Name: My Career
Forum Description: Discussions on Careers, Work, and Entrepreneurs
URL: http://Forum.BlackHairMedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=101651
Printed Date: Jul 07 2020 at 12:45am

Topic: Law, Lawyers and in the Legal Profession
Posted By: EPITOME
Subject: Law, Lawyers and in the Legal Profession
Date Posted: Nov 08 2007 at 8:05pm
roll call? applying to law school and i know i am gonna have a lot of questions. 

Replies:
Posted By: uppitynegroid
Date Posted: Nov 08 2007 at 9:30pm
I'm currently working in the legal profession, and plan on attending law school in the next year or so.

Posted By: BlueMagic
Date Posted: Nov 08 2007 at 10:37pm
2nd year law student here. . .

Posted By: uppitynegroid
Date Posted: Nov 08 2007 at 11:01pm
Wow Duoo, Artist/Lawyer, I'm impressed.

Posted By: Ayesha-Ju
Date Posted: Nov 09 2007 at 7:56am
How was the LSAT....I was looking into going to law school.  I wanted (at one time in life) to be an entertainment lawyer, for like music or fashion)

Date Posted: Nov 09 2007 at 11:32am
Originally posted by Ayesha-Ju Ayesha-Ju wrote:

How was the LSAT....I was looking into going to law school.  I wanted (at one time in life) to be an entertainment lawyer, for like music or fashion)

Not too bad, fortunately, the problems were something that can be mastered with lots of practice.Smile

Date Posted: Nov 09 2007 at 11:32am
Originally posted by uppitynegroid uppitynegroid wrote:

Wow Duoo, Artist/Lawyer, I'm impressed.

Thanks!  I'm all over the place.  I'm hoping to make it all come together soon. . .

Date Posted: Nov 09 2007 at 1:01pm

I'm going to finish my degree in business (marketing), should I start studying for the LSAT while in school or closer to graduation since I'm not majoring in criminal justice or something close to law

Date Posted: Nov 09 2007 at 2:04pm
Originally posted by Ayesha-Ju Ayesha-Ju wrote:

I'm going to finish my degree in business (marketing), should I start studying for the LSAT while in school or closer to graduation since I'm not majoring in criminal justice or something close to law

It just depends on when you plan on taking the exam.  I forget when its offered-- I think October, Dec, and Feb?  If you plan on working for a year or so after graduation, then going to law school, it may make more sense for you to start studying after graduation.  Otherwise, you will have to start studying during the school year, so that you can take the exam either during your junior or senior year.

Posted By: glamrock
Date Posted: Nov 09 2007 at 2:26pm
Originally posted by duoo duoo wrote:

2nd year law student here. . .

ShockedI knew that you were in school, but I did not know that it was law school. You can do it all!!!Thumbs%20Up

Date Posted: Nov 09 2007 at 2:44pm
thanks......

Posted By: Kael
Date Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 9:27am
Recent grad here, currently clerking for a federal judge for one year. Lawyer life officially begins next year!

Ayesha, the LSAT is a piece of cake. Seriously. Practice makes perfect. Complete a few timed practice exams, know your rules of logic, and you'll do extremely well.

The real beast is the bar exam. Dead I'm waiting on CA results (six more days!!) and preparing for TX (Feb). If all goes well, I'll take either NY or DC in July 2008 --I'm a glutton for punishment. Geek

Date Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 10:58am
Originally posted by Kael Kael wrote:

Recent grad here, currently clerking for a federal judge for one year. Lawyer life officially begins next year!

Ayesha, the LSAT is a piece of cake. Seriously. Practice makes perfect. Complete a few timed practice exams, know your rules of logic, and you'll do extremely well.

The real beast is the bar exam. Dead I'm waiting on CA results (six more days!!) and preparing for TX (Feb). If all goes well, I'll take either NY or DC in July 2008 --I'm a glutton for punishment. Geek

Congrats Kael!  I know you blew that CA bar exam away!  Before you took the CA exam, were you able to take CA specific BarBri prep in Texas?  Or did you have to go out to CA for prep?  (I am in school in Texas and plan on taking the NY bar when I graduate in 2009). 

Did you take the PMBR course?  If so, did you find it very helpful?  I understand that they were bought out by Kaplan, so I'm not sure if they still provide those practice questions that are extremely similar to actual bar multistate questions.

Date Posted: Nov 10 2007 at 11:27am
Originally posted by duoo duoo wrote:

Congrats Kael!  I know you blew that CA bar exam away!  Before you took the CA exam, were you able to take CA specific BarBri prep in Texas?  Or did you have to go out to CA for prep?  (I am in school in Texas and plan on taking the NY bar when I graduate in 2009). 

Did you take the PMBR course?  If so, did you find it very helpful?  I understand that they were bought out by Kaplan, so I'm not sure if they still provide those practice questions that are extremely similar to actual bar multistate questions.

Thank you, I appreciate the kind words! You can get CA specific BarBri prep in Texas. I had a few friends who did that for CA bar prep, and NY, too. However, I didn't take a Barbri course. I prefer reading and studying on my own instead of sitting in a class, where I can avoid the latter. Hopefully that wasn't a poor choice --I'll know in a few days.

From what I've heard, though, Barbri is the way to go and PMBR is a great supplement. I did take a 5-day PMBR course, and it was very helpful because they give you information about the most frequently tested fact patterns and topics, common distractors, etc --which made for more efficient studying. However, I think one could just buy the books from ebay (that's what I did for the rest of my studies --purchased Barbri books) and study diligently on their own, too.

So how are you enjoying law school?? Those 3 years flew by for me, unbelievably fast!

Date Posted: Nov 11 2007 at 4:20pm
Law school has been ok.  I agree, the time does fly by quickly.  I am looking forward to graduating so that I can finally start working.

Posted By: FoxyDee
Date Posted: Nov 12 2007 at 12:17pm

Congrats on taking the bar Kael, you know you got it;) 

As for me, I'm retaking the LSAT  for the second time on Dec.1 and I've also applied to law schools for Spring 08 admission (using my first LSAT score)-wish me luck;). I'm retaking the LSAT in case I don't get into a school of my choice this Spring, I may have a better shot in Fall.

I recommend Testmasters class or the Powerschore books for LSAT prep and not working full-time during your preparation. You just have to get yourself in the "zone" and go for it!

Posted By: Prada3721
Date Posted: Nov 12 2007 at 12:32pm
Law School Grad here!!! I just graduated in June it was the best day of my life.  Amazing really -- I never knew that I would be onstage at Lincoln Center but it was so great.

Anyways -- ITA with the "Practice makes Perfect" sentiment on the LSAT.  Just do practice questions and timed tests until they're comin out your ears and you'll be fine. 

KAEL OMG THAT IS AMAZING!!!!! Clap I'm sure u did fantastic.  Wow I'm about to take the Patent Bar and the NY Bar in Feb and I was stressed not to mention like 4 bar exams!!!! So i'm going to start prep this week.  I don't have the ability though to go the self-study route I'm trying to keep it real with myself.  . . Even though I want to save the money on a prep course I'm not trying to take any of it twice.

WOW -- I guess I was also thinking about taking the CA bar -- how did it work to sign up/ take more than one bar exam . . .Any advice you've got Kael I'm ready to listen. . . Approve

Date Posted: Nov 12 2007 at 1:09pm

Congrats, Prada! I remember you posting about your upcoming graduation earlier this year. Walking across that stage and becoming a JD is an amazing feeling.

I don't think taking more than one bar is a huge deal (unless you're talking about simultaneous exams, of which I have no knowledge!).  I figured I may as well become licensed in as many states as I might like to practice while the knowledge I gained in law school is still fresh. Also, the government hours for a judicial clerkship aren't too demanding, which leaves a good amount of study time in the evenings. Plus, the knowledge for almost half (and, arguably, the most difficult half) of the bar exam, i.e., the MBE, is essentially the same no matter which state you choose. Therefore, you only have to learn state specific information for the essay/procedure parts of subsequent exams --you'll already have the multistate info ready to go!

Good luck on the NY and Patent bars!! I'm sure you'll do well!

Date Posted: Nov 16 2007 at 11:19pm
kael you are inspiring me. i have been having panic attacks about the lsat! not a good look. i am going into super study mode. i hope it all clicks soon bc some of those stupid logical reasoning problems don't make any sense. 

Date Posted: Nov 17 2007 at 8:28am
Prettygirl16, thank you, and you will be just fine! What exactly is causing you trouble?

Have you seen JasmineE02's thread entitled " http://forum.blackhairmedia.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=102706&KW=" rel="no follow - Do you debate logically ?" She posted it in the TTT section a couple of days ago, and it explains some logical fallacies that are useful for the LR portions of the exam. That's essentially all those sections are about --knowing how to recognize and refute flawed arguments.

Off-topic, but, as of 6pm Pacific time yesterday, I am official!!! In CA, at least! Geek

Date Posted: Nov 18 2007 at 4:57pm
I'm going to start prepping for the LSAT now....

Posted By: karmelbrown
Date Posted: Nov 18 2007 at 10:34pm
My sister has been trying to get in the legal profession since she graduated with a Poli Sci degree many years ago.  She also obtained a paralegal certificate.  Her original plan/hope was to work for a law firm as a paralegal a few years and then go for law school.  She has had no such luck getting her foot in the door.  If anyone knows of a way for her to get in a law firm, that would be great.  She lives in Charlotte, NC.

Posted By: trini_gyal
Date Posted: Nov 20 2007 at 4:47pm
http://www.elsblog.org/the_empirical_legal_studi/2007/09/distribution-of.html" rel="no follow - http://www.elsblog.org/the_empirical_legal_studi/2007/09/distribution-of.html
about
legal salaries

Date Posted: Nov 20 2007 at 10:25pm
the ones i am having the most problems with assumption questions and justify the argument. i am thinking about taking the powerscore weekend course. has anyone else taken this?

Date Posted: Nov 24 2007 at 10:13am
Assumptions are essentially going to be a part of every logical reasoning problem. Try reading this:  http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/acelsat/acelsat3.html" rel="no follow - http://www.soyouwanna.com/site/syws/acelsat/acelsat3.html

Sorry, I cannot tell you anything about powerscore. However, you can probably find plenty of helpful information online. Just remember that you are always looking for a logical gap. Train yourself to find unstated assumptions when you are reading those questions. Before you take the LSAT, well, if you plan to score well, you should be able to pick out assumptions before you even read the answer choices. This probably sounds silly, but you can even practice this here on BHM.  For example, I was just reading the "interracial dating" thread in the "relationships" forum. There are a ton of flawed assumptions in that thread --but, I digress.

Anyhow, assumption and justify the argument problems go hand in hand. In either event, you need to identify the logical gap --what unstated assumption does the author claim as true/what must be true for the argument to hold water?

You have, what, another week or so to prepare --plenty of time. Practice, practice, practice!

Posted By: jamgal
Date Posted: Nov 25 2007 at 11:14pm
Hey ladies.  I don't post here very often but it always nice to see young black women doing big things.  I am currently in my first year and finals are coming up.  Any suggestions?

Date Posted: Nov 26 2007 at 11:39am
Congrats, jamgal!

Know your material and be able to apply that knowledge to the relevant fact scenarios --Begin by outlining an answer (that way, if you run out of time writing/typing your essay, your prof can look at your outline and at least see that you planned to discuss more than you actually did --I ran out of time during one of my exams and, as a result, thought I was going to bomb that class for sure, but I was still able to receive an A (top 15%) --I'm almost positive that my outline made a difference, as I probably still received some credit for at least spotting issues that were clearly relevant but did not appear in my essay). Of course, the ideal situation is to not run out of time in the first place. LOL

I'd recommend using the IRAC format on your essays: spot each issue, state the rule, apply the rule to the facts, and state your conclusion! Also, once you finish IRAC for each issue, go back and put your conclusion at the beginning (so, I suppose that makes it CIRAC, or something like that)

Every prof at my school had past exams either available online or in the law library --I'd highly recommend looking at some of your prof's past exams and writing/typing model answers. Practice makes perfect --and although the issues will vary from exam to exam, you will be somewhat familiar w/ the type of analysis your professor expects. If time permits, meeting with your prof to discuss your performance on these practice essays and receive his or her suggestions for improvement will be extremely helpful, too.

For whatever it's worth, if your professor grades on a bell curve distribution (as most do), a good essay will discuss easy issues on it, hard issues, and intermediate issues. The easy essays show the professor who understands the most basic aspects of the course --those are the essays which score the lowest grades. The intermediate aspects are mastered by fewer students, and this represents the middle of the class. And the hard issues allow the top students in each class to shine --A essays will be able to analyze these harder issues in addition to the easy and intermediate ones.

Other advice: If you are writing, make it legible and double-space (when a prof has to read 100+ essays, they appreciate it when you make it easier on the eyes)! If you are typing, just avoid typos. In either event, keep the essay organized.

Let us know how it goes!! Thumbs%20Up

Posted By: jamgal
Date Posted: Nov 27 2007 at 1:43pm
Thanks Kael.  I have been studying for 5 -8 hours/day for the past 2 weeks so I believe everything should be okay.  My last exam is on the 18th of December so I can finally get to sleep for a few days and then start my summer internship search.

Posted By: BlackEsq
Date Posted: Nov 28 2007 at 3:05am
Wow, I just happened to come in this forum & glad I did!

Law School grad here! Haven't taken the bar exam yet.Embarrassed

Congrats Kael Clap!!! Good luck in Law School Duoo & Jamgal. You are one step closer to being done!

To the ladies studying or planning to study for the LSAT Kael is correct...practice makes perfect.

Kael you gave them EXCELLENT advice on essay writing & on checking for those old exams. Many of my professors would put their old exams on reserve in the library or we would get old exams from their old students or our mentors. Are you guys only having Essay Exams because some of my exams were Multi-state or a combo of the Multi-state & Essay. PMBR & another book (can't remember off handLOL) were great for Multi-states.

Date Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 6:17pm
Thanks, Ameisha, and congrats to you!!!!! Are you planning to take a bar exam?

Good luck on the LSAT tomorrow, ladies!! P3WN that exam! If you have to take a guess, make it an educated one. You should ALWAYS be able to throw out 2 answer choices. I'm wishing you all good karma and sending 180 vibes!

Date Posted: Nov 30 2007 at 11:40pm
Thanks Kael! I plan to take it...Just don't know when. I want to be licensed (since I've come this far) even though I don't think I will practice.

Yes, I have some mentees taking the LSAT tomorrow too (well today) and they are nervously awaiting the exam. Good Luck ladies!!!

Posted By: Prada3721
Date Posted: Dec 03 2007 at 11:10am
Ameisha! Girl you taking the Feb. Bar??? You know you wanna be studying in the doldrums with me?? LOL.  J/k. 

Y'all I just paid my money for the Micromash prep program on Friday and I swear I'm still itchy cause spending all that money at once is something to which I'm REALLY REALLY allergic.

Date Posted: Dec 04 2007 at 5:41pm
It's money well spent, though, Prada! One of my friends used Micromash for the NY bar and she did just fine.

I'm working on the second license right now (also taking a february bar), so I feel your pain. It's a miserable process that we must go thru in order to become official. Dead

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Dec 06 2007 at 8:08am

I teetering on majoring in political science. Would that be a good major to study if my school does not have pre- law? I've heard you can major in anything as long as you can pass the LSATs when it is time.

Congrats for all of you ladies!!

Posted By: TallDrinkH2O
Date Posted: Dec 06 2007 at 11:05am

Hello All,

Atty here Smile. 05' Grad. Licensed in PA. Preparing for TX Feb '08 Exam.

Congrats to Kael! You gave me the smack I needed to stop whining about having to take another bar exam Ouch.

Date Posted: Dec 07 2007 at 2:08am
Originally posted by TallDrinkH2O TallDrinkH2O wrote:

Hello All,

Congrats to Kael! You gave me the smack I needed to stop whining about having to take another bar exam Ouch.

WOW, so this is what it takes for you to post!!! YAY!!! WELCOME...finally!!!LOL

Date Posted: Dec 07 2007 at 2:13am
Originally posted by Prada3721 Prada3721 wrote:

Ameisha! Girl you taking the Feb. Bar??? You know you wanna be studying in the doldrums with me?? LOL.  J/k. 

Y'all I just paid my money for the Micromash prep program on Friday and I swear I'm still itchy cause spending all that money at once is something to which I'm REALLY REALLY allergic.

Prada, Feb Bar Exam....ummmm NO!LOL I wish. Maybe if I had registered for it then I wouldn't have had a choice because I would be locked in! Girl I KNOW you will be fine...

Okay who else we got...Prada, TallDrink, and WHO else for February??? I will be rooting for yall, but from the sidelines...OuchLOL

Date Posted: Dec 07 2007 at 2:15am
Originally posted by carolina cutie carolina cutie wrote:

I teetering on majoring in political science. Would that be a good major to study if my school does not have pre- law? I've heard you can major in anything as long as you can pass the LSATs when it is time.

Congrats for all of you ladies!!

Very true Carolina! I majored in Psychology. What do you really want to major in?

Posted By: carolina cutie
Date Posted: Dec 07 2007 at 2:53am
^^^^Well, computer science or poly sci lol but I'm still all over the place as far as majors go. I like politics didn't think I could do anything with a polysci degree without going into public politics but I'm seeing that's not true.

I'm still going to minor in art. Can't get away from those classes!Smile

Date Posted: Dec 07 2007 at 7:40am

Hello All,

Congrats to Kael! You gave me the smack I needed to stop whining about having to take another bar exam Ouch

LOL Thanks, and congrats on your decision to take the next step! I won't try to fool anyone, I whine all the time at home/work about this upcoming exam!!

That makes at least 3 of us here who are taking a Feb bar. There's power in numbers! Each of you can feel free to send me a PM if you need to vent, or vent here if need be, bc I probably will do the same!! Dead

Date Posted: Dec 07 2007 at 7:57am
Originally posted by Ameisha Ameisha wrote:

Prada, Feb Bar Exam....ummmm NO!LOL I wish. Maybe if I had registered for it then I wouldn't have had a choice because I would be locked in! Girl I KNOW you will be fine...

Okay who else we got...Prada, TallDrink, and WHO else for February??? I will be rooting for yall, but from the sidelines...OuchLOL

You should go for it in July, Ameisha! If you don't mind my asking, what career field are you in/going into?

Even if you don't plan to practice law, having the license will distinguish you throughout your career! Either way, you have our support! Clap

Date Posted: Dec 07 2007 at 8:12am

^^^^Well, computer science or poly sci lol but I'm still all over the place as far as majors go. I like politics didn't think I could do anything with a polysci degree without going into public politics but I'm seeing that's not true.

Hi carolina c! I saw your previous post, and you have the right idea. The LSAT is extremely important, but you also need to keep your grades up, no matter which major you choose. From my experience, most admissions offices focused on the applicant's LSAT score, GPA, and  resume/extracurriculars --a total package.

From what I have heard, the difficulty of your major is taken into account as well when deciding how much weight to give the GPA, which suggests that someone with (for example) a 3.4 in statistics or mathematics will probably have a better chance than a photography major with the same GPA (all else equal). So, in the event that a person chooses some crazy difficult major but doesn't earn a super high GPA, that person shouldn't count herself out.

ETA --No offense to photogs, if the are any here! I could have picked a different example, as there are several degree paths which came to my mind that might be easier than those requiring sh*t like Advanced Probability Theory! Dead

Posted By: TallDrinkH2O
Date Posted: Dec 07 2007 at 12:37pm
Hey Meish! I finally came out of the lurker's closet Embarrassed

Kael, I may have to take you up on your offer. Revisiting the MBE is driving me nuts Confused

Prada, congrats on your recent graduation Clap.

Date Posted: Dec 08 2007 at 6:47am

Hey Carolina!

That's funny. I was a Computer Science major before I switched to Psychology. I loved my Computer Science classes, but hated my math classes.

Yes you can do other things with your Political Science degree but either way you would have to go back to school.

Are you going to Minor in Art History?

eta: I just read Kael's post & as usual she is correct. Try to get the best grades you can in whatever major you choose. I made B's in Computer Science, but got practically all A's in my Psychology courses.

Date Posted: Dec 08 2007 at 6:54am

You should go for it in July, Ameisha! If you don't mind my asking, what career field are you in/going into?

Even if you don't plan to practice law, having the license will distinguish you throughout your career! Either way, you have our support! Clap

Hey Kael!

That is something that I'm considering. I am in Real Estate Development. Many others have suggested exactly that...to become licensed even if I don't plan to practice.  Thanks so much for the encouragement because I will need it!Smile

Date Posted: Dec 08 2007 at 6:56am

Hey Meish! I finally came out of the lurker's closet Embarrassed

Kael, I may have to take you up on your offer. Revisiting the MBE is driving me nuts Confused

Prada, congrats on your recent graduation Clap.

!

Hey TallDrink! Yes, please join us every now & again. Lurking is ok, but if you spend enough time here you will be itching to post because BHM is addictive.LOL

Date Posted: Dec 14 2007 at 5:13pm
Ameisha, that sounds exciting! Keep us informed if you decide to go through what essentially amounts to professional hazing like us --I mean, take the exam! LOL

TallDrinkH2O, are you despising Articles 3 & 4 (and O&G) as much as I am? My GOD! I'll figure out a way to enjoy these subjects enough to remember what I need to know, but I'm not quite there yet! Pinch

I know what you mean about the MBE. Recently, I dusted off my PMBR books and started going over old practice questions. These books are worth their weight in GOLD. If you don't have them already, you can probably find used copies on ebay or amazon.

Prada, how are you doing, lady? Is Micromash treating you well?

Hang in there, ladies. It's all about chipping away, piece by piece! Thumbs%20Up

Date Posted: Dec 15 2007 at 12:41am
Kael, I SURE will...with the way the Real Estate Market is right now it's looking more & more attractive. Stern%20Smile  LOL @ professional hazing!

Just think...Prada, Kael, and TallDrink...in just a little over TWO months & it will be OVER!!!Wink

Posted By: haitiancurlyq
Date Posted: Dec 16 2007 at 2:48am
wow, thanks prettygirl for posting this. my dream was always to go to law school and become a lawyer. but in the confusion of figuring exactly what i want to do that i lost my fire. but i am applying for fall next year or spring 09. i plan on taking the text in feb. thanks to all you ladies for the great advice and direction.

Posted By: SweetCandy1
Date Posted: Dec 17 2007 at 4:08am

I just switched my major and career focus to the legal profession. I will take the Lsat and apply to law sschool within the next year. I am still deciding whether I should take a year off and travel a bit and enjoy life before I start law school.I usually come here for hair advice but BHM truly does have it all. It is inspiring to see so many other ladies pursing the same thing.

Date Posted: Dec 17 2007 at 7:29am
There is a lot of good advice here (thanks too for starting the thread, prettygirl!). Good luck ladies. Law school is a huge commitment, both in time and money, but if you have the determination and a smart plan of action, it will pay huge dividends (and not merely in salary).

Posted By: lynbrownsugar
Date Posted: Dec 17 2007 at 6:10pm
Great thread! I was thinking about what was I going to do for graduate school. Always wanted to be a lawyer as a kid like haitiancurlg I too lost my fire.  I love the fact that they don't care about my major 4 yr degree as long as u have a high gpa and pass the lsat.

Good luck to all the ladies that will be taking the Bar. I will say a prayer for each of you.

Date Posted: Jan 01 2008 at 3:39pm
Happy New Year!!!

For those about to start their Spring Semesters just posting to wish you a Great Semester!!!!

To the Feb. Bar Takers...I know your Bar preparation is about to Ramp up so I am praying for you all & wishing you well!

Date Posted: Jan 09 2008 at 12:01am
Hey guys!!! How's it going???

Date Posted: Jan 10 2008 at 6:20pm
Hey, Meisha!

I can think of about 794313844354771 things I'd rather be doing these days than spending most of my waking hours either working or studying for this exam, but it's going well! Smile 6 weeks left to pratice, and then comes the BIG WEEK in late Feb! I can't wait to get this DONE and over with! DeadLOL

Well, Real Property is calling, and I'm sure there's a secured party with a deed of trust trying to acquire rights in someone's homestead property, a deed that hasn't been recorded, a subsequent bona fide purchaser, a violation of the Statute of Frauds, a need for deed reformation, and a rescission on a land sale contract, and just for kicks, someone with an interest in the mineral estate who wants to take sand from the surface of the property, all in the same paragraph just waiting to be spotted and analyzed in order to come to a conclusion on their legality in 10 minutes or less. Stern%20Smile Back to work! Thumbs%20Up

Date Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 12:37am

Hey, Meisha!

I can think of about 794313844354771 things I'd rather be doing these days than spending most of my waking hours either working or studying for this exam, but it's going well! Smile 6 weeks left to pratice, and then comes the BIG WEEK in late Feb! I can't wait to get this DONE and over with! DeadLOL

Well, Real Property is calling, and I'm sure there's a secured party with a deed of trust trying to acquire rights in someone's homestead property, a deed that hasn't been recorded, a subsequent bona fide purchaser, a violation of the Statute of Frauds, a need for deed reformation, and a rescission on a land sale contract, and just for kicks, someone with an interest in the mineral estate who wants to take sand from the surface of the property, all in the same paragraph just waiting to be spotted and analyzed in order to come to a conclusion on their legality in 10 minutes or less. Stern%20Smile Back to work! Thumbs%20Up

LOL Hey Kael!!! WHEW that took me back!!!Wacko
See, you are READY!!! I bet you have your multi-colored highlighters all lined up! It will be over before you know it. Then you can take a mini-vacation & get ready for the next states!!!Wink When are you getting married?

Date Posted: Jan 11 2008 at 8:04am

Hey, Meisha!

See, you are READY!!! I bet you have your multi-colored highlighters all lined up! It will be over before you know it. Then you can take a mini-vacation & get ready for the next states!!!Wink When are you getting married?

Thanks. I'm getting there.

Although I'd heard about it before beginning law school, I never tried the multi-colored highlighter thing. My reasoning is that it's difficult enough just tracking and keeping up with issues without having to worry about which highlighter color means what. LOL I do have plenty of sharpened pencils, though! Whenever I identify an issue or potential issue, I usually just circle or underline it and scratch the proper terminology or rule down in the margin so I can quickly outline before writing an essay answer.

Marriage? What's that? Wink Sometimes I think he just wanted to stake his claim with an engagement ring and be happy with that. Just kidding. LOL Everything is on hold while I try to establish a foundation for my career so we can both be on solid ground. Hopefully once this bar is over we can finally do some serious planning.

As far as other bar exams, I might be through after this one. Working full-time and studying for these things is no joke --so I might have to rely on reciprocity from other states in the future!! Smile I think DC takes transfer scores, and I'd like to check out NY as well, but that's it, no more hazing!!

Take care!

Date Posted: Jan 12 2008 at 5:12pm

Hey, Meisha!

Thanks. I'm getting there.

Although I'd heard about it before beginning law school, I never tried the multi-colored highlighter thing. My reasoning is that it's difficult enough just tracking and keeping up with issues without having to worry about which highlighter color means what. LOL I do have plenty of sharpened pencils, though! Whenever I identify an issue or potential issue, I usually just circle or underline it and scratch the proper terminology or rule down in the margin so I can quickly outline before writing an essay answer.

Marriage? What's that? Wink Sometimes I think he just wanted to stake his claim with an engagement ring and be happy with that. Just kidding. LOL Everything is on hold while I try to establish a foundation for my career so we can both be on solid ground. Hopefully once this bar is over we can finally do some serious planning.

As far as other bar exams, I might be through after this one. Working full-time and studying for these things is no joke --so I might have to rely on reciprocity from other states in the future!! Smile I think DC takes transfer scores, and I'd like to check out NY as well, but that's it, no more hazing!!

Take care!

I KNOW what you mean about the colored highlighters. I used them at first because it made me FEEL like I was really on top of things! YEAH RIGHT! Yellow worked, but the BLUE was the worst!!! It would make the text almost unreadable!!!LOL Yes, I was a big margin writer. I always had  notes all over the place.

I understand about the wedding planning as well. At least you've got a supportive partner & that's very important. You will have plenty of time to plan later.

NY has reciprocity with TX (forgot the other state you passed), you just have to have practiced 5 of the preceding seven years in one of the reciprocal states.

Here is the info on DC:
DC Bar Reciprocity
1) Membership in good standing for 5 years prior to application from any state bar; OR

2) Membership in good standing in any state bar and a scaled score of 133 on the MBE and a scaled score of 75 on the MPRE and a JD from an ABA accredited law school; OR

3) An applicant can use a scaled MBE score of 133 or better in the past 25 months.  The applicant must then attain a 133 on the essay portion of the examination.

I know you are like...DID I ask her all that??!!!! LOL SORRY, I know it's not EVEN on your mind right now...forgive me!Embarrassed

Take care!!!

Date Posted: Jan 13 2008 at 11:57am
^^No, THANK YOU! I did research on reciprocity/transferring scores quite some time ago, but I'd forgotten most of the info since then. You are a doll!!! Hug

Yeah, he helps out a lot, keeping up the place, cooking sometimes, cleaning, etc, while I'm studying (but I'm pushing it with my random internet play --case in point, right now, while he makes lunch!). In a way, I think he knows my obtaining these bar memberships will help ensure my ability to earn my keep.  PinchLOL

LOL@the blue marker!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Date Posted: Jan 13 2008 at 8:51pm

^^No, THANK YOU! I did research on reciprocity/transferring scores quite some time ago, but I'd forgotten most of the info since then. You are a doll!!! Hug

Yeah, he helps out a lot, keeping up the place, cooking sometimes, cleaning, etc, while I'm studying (but I'm pushing it with my random internet play --case in point, right now, while he makes lunch!). In a way, I think he knows my obtaining these bar memberships will help ensure my ability to earn my keep.  PinchLOL

LOL@the blue marker!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL

No problem at all. I just realized that after I included that in my message that I am sure you have enough on your plate as it is & you don't need anything else to overwhelm you!

Aww that's great!!! He's definitely a keeper!Wink You will more than earn your keep!LOL

The blue highlighter is the devil!Evil%20Smile Let me stop! This weekend I purposely planned on doing NOTHING, so BHM kept me MORE than entertained! I really need to wean myself from this site though. I plan to come on here for just a minute & end up spending hours!Confused

Well, I am praying for you all!

TallDrink WHERE ARE YOU???Angry I am gonna call you now.

Take care everyone!

Posted By: femmemystique
Date Posted: Jan 15 2008 at 5:28pm
Hi!
Well, add another prospective to your list counselors and soon to be counsel.  I have a sick feeling in my stomach.  I have to read this thread loads of times as the class I just graduated with which will also be attending are being so ominous and making me anxious.  You know how it is on campus, "Dude, no social life for 4 years..." and what have you.  I have all my life ahead of me.  I am happy to be able to come across this threadTongue

Date Posted: Jan 17 2008 at 8:04am
Originally posted by femmemystique femmemystique wrote:

Hi!
Well, add another prospective to your list counselors and soon to be counsel.  I have a sick feeling in my stomach.  I have to read this thread loads of times as the class I just graduated with which will also be attending are being so ominous and making me anxious.  You know how it is on campus, "Dude, no social life for 4 years..." and what have you.  I have all my life ahead of me.  I am happy to be able to come across this threadTongue

LOL I must not have received that memo! Law school will be what YOU make of it.  In order to remain happy (and SANE LOL), you have to find a balance so you are neither (1) letting law school get in the way of life, or (2) letting life get in the way of law school.  Maybe I was just fortunate enough to attend school with a bunch of brainiacs who also know how to have fun --bc we definitely made time to have a life.  Most of us were able to find that middle ground so that we were able to enjoy ourselves while maintaining a solid academic performance.  Despite what the naysayers will tell you in their attempts to frighten you, making it through law school does not have to be a miserable experience. Don't worry!

As a general rule, I'd avoid late nights out during the 4 weeks before finals (and definitely during finals), but we'd still have dinner parties, lunches out, movie nights, game/sports nights, go shopping (oh, that shopping therapy...LOL )and other events for relaxation and fun --not to mention attending the many extracurricular events that dozens of student-run organizations would put together (e.g., Student Bar Association, Journals, the many legal societies, Black Law Students' Association, etc.).

My 3 years in law school were probably the best years of my life --academically, professionally, and socially. There were times where I didn't get much sleep, but it was all worth it. I might recommend investing in some Strivectin-SD eye cream, though, just to keep those dark circles at bay. LOL

Keep us informed on your progress! Clap

Date Posted: Feb 06 2008 at 2:47am
Hey Kael, TallDrink & Prada!!! You are all in the Home Stretch...How is it going???

Date Posted: Feb 25 2008 at 5:46pm
Good Luck Guys!!!

I am praying for you!Hug

Posted By: *~Mz Diva~*
Date Posted: Feb 26 2008 at 3:17pm
This is soo inspiring.  I did lose my "fire" for law and I'm currently taking this year off to re-evaluate my situation and be a mommy, but reading this thread just makes me realize that this is truly what I want to do with my life.  I start back taking online classes in May, until I can return to campus classes in August and I don't plan to stop again until I'm DONE.  Thanks so much for the inspiration ladies.

Date Posted: Mar 06 2008 at 11:44pm
i just got a job as a design ass't at an intellectual properties law firm! yay!

Date Posted: Mar 07 2008 at 8:13am

Good Luck Guys!!!

I am praying for you!Hug

Ameisha, you are such a thoughtful, kind soul!!! Thanks for your thoughts and prayers!

I hope TallDrinkH2O and Prada are doing well --and getting some much-deserved rest and relaxation!

Posted By: Ediese
Date Posted: Mar 19 2008 at 6:39pm
Thank goodness I came across this thread. After months of researching and deciding on what I want to do, I've decided to apply to the MBA/JD program in TX.

The only thing is you have to apply separately to both programs, and be accepted by both of course. The good thing is that the law school gives you a year to reapply and get accepted. I've started studying for my GMAT. I'm taking that next month, and I'll take the LSAT later this year. Hopefully, I'll get accepted to both programs. I'm really interested in healthcare law. We'll see what happens!

You ladies are so inspiring...

Date Posted: May 02 2008 at 7:08am
Well, after several months of studying religiously after work and on weekends, 3 days / 15 hours of one of the most ridiculous examinations I've ever taken in my life, and 2 months of waiting to find out if I passed . . . I received the good news yesterday: The Lone Star State has one more licensed attorney to deal with. Smile I hope the good news continues for all other Bar Exam takers across the nation.

For those who are taking a Bar Exam in the future, I'm considering uploading my study materials (outlines and electronic flash cards for the MBE as well as state specific material for CA and TX). They served me well, so hopefully they can help someone else too. I'll keep you all informed.

Posted By: Keena76
Date Posted: May 03 2008 at 9:33pm

Well, after several months of studying religiously after work and on weekends, 3 days / 15 hours of one of the most ridiculous examinations I've ever taken in my life, and 2 months of waiting to find out if I passed . . . I received the good news yesterday: The Lone Star State has one more licensed attorney to deal with. Smile I hope the good news continues for all other Bar Exam takers across the nation.

For those who are taking a Bar Exam in the future, I'm considering uploading my study materials (outlines and electronic flash cards for the MBE as well as state specific material for CA and TX). They served me well, so hopefully they can help someone else too. I'll keep you all informed.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!

Date Posted: May 05 2008 at 7:42am
Thank you, Keena76! Smile

Posted By: Mrs.M
Date Posted: May 06 2008 at 4:24pm
Hey I'm new to this but I having been lurking for months now.  This is a great topic!  I will be finished with my first year of law school next week and I can't wait for a break.  I was pregnant during my semester and dealing with a new born during this one.  I wanted to know if anyone else had kids/husband and if so how are you balancing everything

Date Posted: May 06 2008 at 8:28pm
^^Congrats in advance on finishing your first year, Mrs.M, and congrats on your new baby as well! 

Date Posted: May 07 2008 at 9:27pm
Thank you Kael

Date Posted: May 29 2008 at 1:32pm
Ladies what type of law are you going to practice?

Posted By: psychogurl85
Date Posted: Jun 05 2008 at 9:03am
Originally posted by Mrs.M Mrs.M wrote:

Ladies what type of law are you going to practice?

Im starting Law School here in England in September. Im not sure how similar the process is to in the USA. Anyhow I would like to specialise in either Public Law, or Criminal Law.

Posted By: KurlieBeautie
Date Posted: Jul 05 2008 at 10:00pm
HI LADIES!!! This is a partial rant and a partial plea for advice. Sorry it's so darn long!

Being in the e-presence of all these successful BLACK, WOMEN attorneys and future attorneys is so inspiring! Cry Anybody want a mentee in Chicago?

I just recently graduated with my Bachelor's in English from a good school. I woke up crying this morning because I have been interviewing for jobs in law firms since JANUARY and have YET to be hired. Last week, I even went  to a 2nd interview at a family law firm in downtown Chicago, but I didn't get it because they "decided to offer the position to another candidate who has more experience in [their] specialized field".

I was so sad because I prayed and believed that that job was mine!  Broken%20Heart Of all the interviews I have had, I wanted the one in this firm most because of the office environment and the nature of the positon. The office manager was this cool Black lady and I just thought the position was mine after the way she responded to my thank you email after the first interview. ("Thank you for being a worthy candidate for the Legal Assistant position. I definitely enjoyed meeting with you today and have already moved you to the 2nd interview list." BS!) The salary and benefits were even what I had been praying for for months, because other firms were trying to insult me with $10/hr, no benefits, and in some cases, MINIMUM WAGE! !!! Or they were ALL-WHITE, boring firms and I knew before leaving that they didn't want someone with colorful skin and a colorful personality!

I have been getting rejected all summer, and today it took a toll on me. It's like, these employers can tell from my resume that I don't have law firm experience, and they know that they're too cheap and lazy to train someone, so why the HECK even call me in for an interview... It's a waste of BOTH of our time! And the suggestion to try temp agencies doesn't work either, because even the temp agencies have an elitist perspective, and they don't want to place anyone who doesn't have several years of legal experience. HOW THE HECK AM I SUPPOSED TO GET EXPERIENCE IF NOBODY WILL HIRE ME? Basically, I am getting sad because I wanted to work in a law firm or courtroom, or in the legal sector of a corporation, but nobody is hiring me because I have no experience.

I'm about to begin applying to law school for the fall of '09. I wanted to take a year off to pay off credit card debt that I accumulated and had charged off my freshman year of college  Embarrassed and to buy a car since I do not know anything about the public transportation systems of the cities where I will be applying to law school. IDK how I'm gonna accomplish my goal if I'm not working. I didn't accumulate thousands of dollars in student loans just to be working some mediocre mall job with crazy  that doesn't pay enough to keep my cell phone on, let alone pay off debts! (But, sadly, that seems like my next option, if the malls are even hiring in this jacked up economy!)

While I'm dealing with the stress of no job and immediate bills to pay, I'm being sued by some bastard that bought one of my charged off credit card debts. I went to court last month and asked the judge to continue the case in hopes that I would have a job one month later. I'm getting stressed out because I can't afford to travel to court (it's the same county but a very far away suburb and it takes me 3 hours to get there by public transportation, not to mention, it costs $$$$$$$$$ to get there and back that I DON'T have) I also don't see why I need to go when I don't have a job. (Anyone have any suggestions for me about what I should say/ask the judge in this case? My next court date is Monday, 7/7/08)

Did any of the lady Esquires and future lady Esquires in this forum have this problem before? How can I get around it? (My mom & Grandma suggested that I try to find a place that will let me intern to gain experience and then get a part-time night job, but I live in a bad neighborhood, and they won't let me drive home at night. I REFUSE to be on the bus coming home late when people are dragging girls into the abandoned building NEXT DOOR and raping them.)

Does anyone have contacts in Chicago to whom I can forward my resume? Wink (J/K... Naw,... JUST SERIOUS! lol)

I appreciate prayers and words of encouragement. I just completed a Testmasters course, but changed from the June to October test date to retake my LSAT because I was in school when I started taking the course and was not ready to take the exam June 16th, so I guess it's good to have this time off temporarily to study, but bills don't care that I have to retake the LSAT Angry

Posted By: AmandaKay
Date Posted: Jul 06 2008 at 5:10pm
I am currently studying for the LSAT now (and the GMAT...BOO!!). I took some practice test my freshmen and sophomore years, but I didn't do anything preparation wise my junior year until this summer. I just hate taking standardized test with a passion, but I'm aiming to go to either Tulane, Duke, or Vanderbilt for law school. I have my back up schools to just in case. I had a real bad semester the first part of my junior year, but everyone keeps telling me if I score 160+ on the LSAT, I will have no trouble getting in. Dunno yet. We shall see when I take it either October 6 or December 6.

I've been working my personal statement this summer and it just doesn't seem to be good enough on so many levels that it is just frustrating me! I just seem like yesterday I was worrying about my college applications and now I'm working about this!

Posted By: Lovely_Lady82
Date Posted: Jul 06 2008 at 7:15pm
Kurlie I know how you feel, I'm trying to break into the legal field too, but haven't had any sucess yet.  I've been on interviews and like you said they tell me they're going with someone "who is a little more experienced in the field."  Right now I feel like that I'll take any job that's in a law office. Period.  Wether it's a receptionist position, file clerk, admin. assistant, part-time. Whatever.  I think that attorney's are really cautious by nature, and aren't really willing to train/give people a chance.  And I'm finding that they are sooo cheap!! I have an interview with a solo practitioner on Tuesday.  It's part-time and the pay is shiitty but I'll take it.  Once I've been there for a year then I can move on.  I'm just in it to get that experience.

Date Posted: Jul 06 2008 at 8:16pm
Well, Lovely I just said a prayer for you and I'll pray tomorrow when I'm on the way to court. Post or PM to let me know if you get it! It is kinda wack when you are forced to take a small salary to get a job that you want. I've interviewed for receptionist positions, and part-time positions myself.
In this economy, I would just say if they offer you the job, TAKE IT! But don't stop applying/interviewing for something you like better! (Especially since it's part time. That just gives you more time to search for something better!) I would be cautious about doing job research on these law firm computers, though, esp. in big companies, because they watch the internet usage very closely. That's best done at home.

Be Blessed!

Good luck to all my fellow sistahs studying for the LSAT in Oct/Dec/Whenever!

I'm trying to get focused and study but I keep getting distracted, so I think I'm gonna implement a discipline measure... Everytime I start getting distracted, I'm gonna IMMEDIATELY go run like 6 blocks. (I'm trying to shape up, too) That way, maybe I can teach my brain to prefer LSAT torture to workout pain! lol.

Date Posted: Jul 07 2008 at 3:22am
Law School Prospect here:  When is the ideal time to began studying/taking practice courses for the LSAT??

Date Posted: Jul 07 2008 at 10:49pm
^^^^^^^

You can begin studying for the exam on your own with old LSAT exams and practice materials as early as you want! Make sure to use real LSAC-approved exam questions.

I took a Testmasters course. They want you to enroll in the course that ends immediately before the exam. I'm not sure about other test prep companies, but I'm pretty sure it's the same thing. Test prep courses are very expensive (mine was $1,450) but I think they're worth it if you have the time and dedication to devote to the homework every night.

The LSAT is given 4 times a year:

February
June
Sept./Oct.
December

You should take the course ONLY when you feel you are best able to study intensely for your selected exam date. Some law schools average scores, and it may not be advantageous to have to take the exam over. (Plus, why put yourself through that hell! I sure wish I could only have taken it once!)

I know people who have done well purchasing books and studying on their own. I studied last year with Powerscore books and achieved a 10 point increase on my actual exam from my original diagnostic. Now that I've taken a Testmasters course and plan to pay for a few more hours of private tutoring, and I've graduated from college, I've be more able to study intensely for the October exam. If I had known before that I would take the Oct. exam, I would have taken the Testmaster's course for the Oct. exam instead of the June.

You should also be careful not to study with the books from too many different companies because they teach things differently and you don't want to get confused.

HTH

Posted By: Keira
Date Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 5:54pm

Hello Ladies,

I have been considering law school within the last year but I am very skeptical because I didn't put my all into under grad and never imagined applying for law, I was just getting a degree; BA Business Adm. (GPA 2.75). I went to visit Thurgood here in Houston and spoke with an advisor and she said I still have a chance, the min. gpa they will accept is 2.6. According to her all I would have to do is score at least 155 on the LSAT, which seems too good to be true. I did some research and found out that African Americans just like any other exam score lower than others and thatís discouraging. I have been studying The Kaplan LSAT prep book but had to return to the library, apparently everyone is studying for the LSAT and the book is always on hold so I plan to invest in my own.

Lately I have been considering the military because they have a program which allows you to work in the legal field and I was hoping that would help my chances of getting into some bodies law school. Any of you ladies ever heard of anyone getting into any law school with a gpa as low as mines and what do you think I would really have to score on the LSAT? Thanks for any advice and I praying for you all!

Date Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 8:23pm

Check out http://www.lsac.org/index.asp" rel="no follow - http://www.lsac.org/index.asp   There u can do a search on the law schools that you are interested in and see the gpa and lsat scores that they accept.  Of course every applicant is different and personal statements, extracirricular activities, experience, etc play a role, but at least you'll have an idea of scores and whatnot.  Don't get discouraged, tho.  If there's a will there's a way.

HTH

Date Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 8:24pm

Check out http://www.lsac.org/index.asp" rel="no follow - http://www.lsac.org/index.asp   There u can do a search on the law schools that you are interested in and see the gpa and lsat scores that they accept.  Of course every applicant is different and personal statements, extracirricular activities, experience, etc play a role, but at least you'll have an idea of scores and whatnot.  Don't get discouraged, tho.  If there's a will there's a way.

HTH

Date Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 8:24pm

HTH

Date Posted: Jul 08 2008 at 8:25pm
Damn computer...Angry

Posted By: kmaury85
Date Posted: Jul 09 2008 at 12:28pm
If any of you are college students interested in applying to law school, check out the scholarship I created. The application isn't up yet but it will be soon. www.makingtheway.org

Posted By: kmaury85
Date Posted: Jul 09 2008 at 12:30pm
Also, if you have any questions about applying to law school I would be happy to talk to you!

Posted By: Keena76
Date Posted: Jul 09 2008 at 4:02pm

I feel you Kurlie.  I'm from Chicago as well and its hard as heck.

I worked with some Corporate lawyers; but I'm having a hard time getting a law firm to look my way. 

But all good thins come in time.

Posted By: Doyna
Date Posted: Jul 11 2008 at 5:55pm
those of you who wants to break into the legal profession and are having a hard time finding a job, I noticed a lot of you wrote about how hard to get a job at a "law firm", just remember that there are many other industries/corporations/institutions that could provide the same experience, these places have needs for administrative assistants, schedulers, paralegals ect..  For example, you can try an insurance company, just got to their website and see what they have as opening in their staff counsel's office or their claims department.  Remember if you have insurance claims experience (i.e. as an adjuster) that's knowledge a lot of companies look for.
Look at prosecutors offices, public defenders offices.  Don't forget large educational institution who have legal departments.  A lot of the major corporations (at their headquarters or large offices) have legal offices....Just make sure you go everywhere, because when I was in law school and I was trying to find a summer job or internship, I picked up the yellow pages and started to call local law firms, didn't get me anywhere....

Posted By: AmandaKay
Date Posted: Jul 11 2008 at 9:36pm
Originally posted by *~Mz Diva~* *~Mz Diva~* wrote:

HTH

I never let the numbers get in my way. I was like that in undergrad too. It worked out perfectly besides the pointed I ended up at Dillard. LOL I got my fee waiver because I refuse to pay $127 plus law school applications fee.

One of the main things I have been doing since being in undergrad is contacting all the admission offices of the law schools I am interested. I hate looking at the 25% and 75% percentile numbers of acceptance, and I want real deal information. I've made my trips to Tulane, talked to the admissions dean, and sat in on some classes. I've had other sessions with other law schools too, but not as interactive.

I've been working on my personal statement all summer and trying to get all my recommendations. I'm trying to see if I know an alum from each school I want to attend so they can write me a recommendation also.

Date Posted: Jul 30 2008 at 8:57pm
GREAT NEWS GUYS!!!! LOL

So the job I was previously depressed about called me and offered me the position! Shocked The girl they had hired instead of me couldn't handle the stress and busy environment! So God just opened to door so he could give me my hearts desire. I am now a legal assistant at one of Chicago's best family/divorce law firms, getting paid a GREAT salary with GREAT benefits, and I'm already learning so much!!!

(Now to figure out how to come home from work with enough energy to study for this LSAT on Oct. 4th and send out these law school apps! I wish I were priveleged enough to not have to work during my study time, but God will bless me with the strength and energy to take care of my business!) Smile

Meanwhile, does anyone know which of the higher-ranked schools have reputable family law programs? My mom's boss (an IP attorney)is making it seem as though he'll help me out (financially) if I get accepted into some of the higher-ranked schools Big%20smile

Posted By: Lovely_Lady82
Date Posted: Jul 30 2008 at 9:26pm
Yea!! Congrats on the GREAT JOB!!!  It's amazing how things work out!! 

It's offical, we have LEGAL JOBS!!!

God is good!!!

Date Posted: Aug 04 2008 at 10:38pm
God is THE BOMB!

Posted By: Andromeda
Date Posted: Aug 06 2008 at 11:25pm
Originally posted by KurlieBeautie KurlieBeautie wrote:

GREAT NEWS GUYS!!!! LOL

So the job I was previously depressed about called me and offered me the position! Shocked The girl they had hired instead of me couldn't handle the stress and busy environment! So God just opened to door so he could give me my hearts desire. I am now a legal assistant at one of Chicago's best family/divorce law firms, getting paid a GREAT salary with GREAT benefits, and I'm already learning so much!!!

(Now to figure out how to come home from work with enough energy to study for this LSAT on Oct. 4th and send out these law school apps! I wish I were priveleged enough to not have to work during my study time, but God will bless me with the strength and energy to take care of my business!) Smile

Meanwhile, does anyone know which of the higher-ranked schools have reputable family law programs? My mom's boss (an IP attorney)is making it seem as though he'll help me out (financially) if I get accepted into some of the higher-ranked schools Big%20smile

CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Date Posted: Aug 31 2008 at 6:25pm
Thanks! Smile

Posted By: MzNubian3000
Date Posted: Sep 04 2008 at 2:09pm
damn it, I missed the roll call....anyway

Not a law student, however considering it......I have my Bach in Criminal Justice/Criminology....and I am a Equal Opportunty Investigator....

I'm considering attending Barry University for law school......I am just absolutely in love with this school......however, I am considering returning the UUUUUU

Date Posted: Sep 15 2008 at 4:45pm
I am graduating from law school in May of 2009. Has anyone taken the New York bar, or plan on taking it next year?

Date Posted: Nov 18 2008 at 7:46pm
Bump. I had to search too hard for this! LOL

Print Page | Close Window