FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedPressing Comb Vs. Flat Iron

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>

Author
B.LUVS.B View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Pressing Comb Vs. Flat Iron
    Posted: Mar 12 2008 at 1:28pm

Hi All,

I wanted to know which do you prefer and why?
In terms of straightness, damage, look, feel, health etc.
Does it really just depend on the person doing it?
Back in the day I got a press (special occasions/holidays) but now in the new age a lot of people do the flat iron.
I have heard that a press gives you split/thin ends.
I also heard that flat iron damages hair.

I do not plan on getting my hair pressed often, maybe once every 3 months (if that)  but I would like to know the difference in the results of the two.

I have done both and breaking away from Moms presses and jacking up my hair with the perms, texturizers, and bad hair stylists. I like the press but maybe it was just the person who did it. Well what is your opinion on which is better?
Sponsored Links

marilyn View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 12 2008 at 8:32pm
It depends on who is doing it. You have to make sure the hair is in condition to take the heat. Taking care of your hair is important, like treating triming and conditioning and a good relationship with your stylist. Making sure she/he knows your hair and what is needed to obtain the look you want.Everyone one does things differently but they can give you what you want, meaning some may use the comb and some may use the flat iron but it still comes out the same.Too much of anything isn,t good for you. I don,t think pressing or flat iron damages your hair though.
slayfresh View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2008 at 2:10pm
press!
newcurlygirl View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2008 at 2:41pm
The newer CERAMIC flat irons are supposed to be a monumental jump in better hair care even with heat because of their even, moderate-able (trying to find a word that means you can select only the level of heat you NEED to do the job and PRECISELY at that) temperatures. It is a guessing game with pressing combs and truly related more to the skill/care of the stylist.

I say you have a better chance of your hair REMAINING in good condition with occasional flat ironing. JMO
newcurlygirl View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2008 at 2:43pm
P.S. WITHOUT question you can get a STRAIGHT, STRAIGHT look with a flat iron. Another benefit that doesn't come with pressing is that Ceramic flat irons have some WEIRDO ability to KEEP your hair from reverting. I have super fine, super fuzzy-in-a-second-in-humidity hair and my hair would POOF at the first hint of moisture with regular heat. Now, when I flat iron with ceramic irons my hair resists reverting very, very well. Big%20smile
MizzCat View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 13 2008 at 2:50pm
I love love love flat irons. Idk about pressing combs but flat irons are easier to use for me.
PrettyLA View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2008 at 1:52pm
Well...I'm not usually in this section but I have to say something. I have had my last straw with pressing combs. I've been doing my own hair (in terms of styling for at least the last 2 years...not weaves or braids but natural hair care and styling) and I have learned through so much because of it . I learned one thing....that pressing combs and my hair dont mix! It makes my hair feel so brittle and hard (over time) in comparison to flat irons. I use a solia ionic flat iron....and it was the best investment I ever had, I only flat iron once every one/two weeks  (or less)and my hair stays silky and doesnt need to be reflattened. I honestly will never use pressing combs again...unless someone else is styling my own hair....and even then it makes me cringe! lol
Sparkling Bliss View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 14 2008 at 5:39pm
I also heard that pressing can be more damaging than flat-ironing.
..If done incorrectly I think.
From what I've seen so far, pressing has a more greasy, shiny finish.
And flat-irons have a sleek, shiny finish..reminds me of silver, hehe.

I could be wrong. Correct me if I am, nicely please lol
yulette View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 18 2008 at 10:08pm
glamber... the finish depends on the products u put in ur hair whether u use a flat iron or pressing comb... i gotta say back in the day my hair was beautifully thick and i would go back to pressing it if i could...some of the ceramic flar irons don't staighten all types of hair... i used flat ironed my 8yr old niece's hair for school pics(which was hilarious might i add... was her first press and her mother had her shook i almost peed myself laughing at her poor baby) anyway my 100 dollar flat iron didn't straighten her hair as well as the pressing comb did... i think its good or ok to use on young girls until their hair reaches the definite texture... after  they get their period then if u wanna relax u can... but i think they key is anything in excess is too much so depending on the texture of hair i prefer one ova the otha... 
clovercurls View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar 19 2008 at 11:10am
I prefer flat-ironing, without a doubt. There's a technique that my aunt taught me when flat-ironing that I use and it's helped when I do my daughter's and my own hair. She uses a heat-resistant rattail comb in conjunction with the flat-iron. As she glides the iron down the hair the comb is held in her other hand and follows in the direction of the iron all the way down to the ends of the strand. The result is straight-looking hair from root to tips.
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
House of CB London
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style