Black Hair Media Forum Homepage
BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Lets Talk > Talk, Talk, and More Talk
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Pregnant women working?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 16>

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 5.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
purpulicious01 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote purpulicious01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 1:33pm
We could learn a thing or two from some European countries regarding their paternal leave.

Some countries, (i.e. Denmark and Finland if I remember correctly) give adequate maternal and paternal leave, with benefits.

In the book, the author compares our maternal leave to that of other countries and shows where we are lacking. 

Edited by purpulicious01 - Jun 09 2014 at 1:34pm
Sponsored Links

TexturizedDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexturizedDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 1:36pm
I'd prefer not to work, however 2-income households are almost a necessity at this point. 

My mother worked while she was pregnant with me, however her employer was understanding and let her close her office door and take an hour long nap each day.
jonesable View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonesable Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 1:36pm
The US needs to adjust their parental leave.
That being said I would work when I'm pregnant..

Does everyone hate their jobs here lol?
I like home but I took an extra long weekend and I was wondering about what was happening at work and if anyone was taking my clients.

I don't hate being at work.
I like it so unless there are health restrictions I will probably work a while into my pregnancy.
SamoneLenior View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SamoneLenior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 1:37pm

not liking what I do and daycare (e.g., me being with my child until they are 4/5) are the only things that make me consider being a stay at home mom

Edited by SamoneLenior - Jun 09 2014 at 1:38pm
TexturizedDiva View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TexturizedDiva Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 1:38pm
It also depends on the job.  The worst I saw was a nurse who was in her 8th or 9th month who didn't know when to take a break.  She could barely do anything for her patients and had to call for help.
JulieGianni View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote JulieGianni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 1:38pm
I worked up to my due date for both of my pregnancies.  I have two children under the age of 5 and I work full-time from home.  Not working has never been option in my marriage - but for long term reasons. I worked to hard to get to where I am professionally.  Dropping out of the workforce would just about guarantee that I would NEVER be able reenter at the same level or pay grade.  Also, the money I make now goes towards retirement and future savings for our kids.

Unless you and your S/O come from generational money, or your S/O is seriously independently wealthy (as in hedge fund billionaire money) I cannot fathom taking care of a child on one pay check.
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 1:41pm
It will get better when a more family centric model is adopted vs. the patriarchal model used today.

Higher incomes for women mean a higher family income. Maternal and paternal leave can be staggered so that children can bond with both parents without de stabilizing the family income.

lanae View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lanae Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 1:45pm
Originally posted by Blac1Chyna Blac1Chyna wrote:

i do NOT want a man who wants me to work!! i want my kids to go to daycare for socialization but i wont be working like i used to. do you think it will be easy finding an African American man who go for that? most of them seem to want a woman to work 2 jobs and do backflips like superwomen so idk how they feel about this pampered white woman lifestyle im tryna have

Theyre not hard to find. Theyre usually in a STEM field w/ a similar upbringing
Blac1Chyna View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Blac1Chyna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 1:46pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

on one hand we tell women to study hard, earn degrees then tell them as soon as the have a child to never work again....makes no sense

especially since many have to take out loans to get an education

i guess that depends what your career goals are and what is important to you. i wouldn't take a loan out to get my education b/c i don't like the idea of owing anyone anything. if i cant afford it thru scholarships and saving up then i just wont take it..

education is important if that's your personal goals and i would never say you should depend on a man...but yeah once i get married and have a kid im only working out of pleasure

people expect women to cook, clean, take care of kids, cat, dog, man AND WORK FULL TIME ON TOP OF THAT? chile please...whos really winning b/c it sure aint the wife. and that's even IF she gets married.a single mother has it much harder
melikey View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote melikey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun 09 2014 at 1:49pm
Originally posted by SamoneLenior SamoneLenior wrote:

on one hand we tell women to study hard, earn degrees then tell them as soon as the have a child to never work again....makes no sense

especially since many have to take out loans to get an education

That's what I don't get.
Like others have said, if a person has a 5-15 year gap in employment depending on how the children are spaced what hope could she ever have of actually resuming the career she left?
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Dime Curves Enhancement Shake
Brazilian Hair
Brazilian Hair
Wig and Hair Extension on Amazon
Switch Up your Look with a protective Style
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 16>
  Share Topic