Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
sanschemical View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Predominantly white college
    Posted: Apr 28 2012 at 11:43am
I am going to college in the Fall and among my many worries is also the fact that it is predominantly white. I am pretty secure about my roots and stuff but it's always nice to see a few people of color on campus. I went to a high school that was around 10% black, 15% asian and 75% white. So I thought it was a great ratio and i had friends of all races. Now, I'm going to college in the Minneapolis and there aren't as many blacks there as there are in the NJ/NY area. 
Sponsored Links

ECA! View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 12:30am
Is that school you are going to in Minneapolis, the University of Minnesota Twin Cities?? If it is, I will be going there next year! I'm slightly worried about the same thing, but i've lived in Minnesota all my life and even if there may not be a lot of people of color on  the campus, the city itself is still pretty diverse
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2012 at 2:23pm
Originally posted by ECA! ECA! wrote:

Is that school you are going to in Minneapolis, the University of Minnesota Twin Cities?? If it is, I will be going there next year! I'm slightly worried about the same thing, but i've lived in Minnesota all my life and even if there may not be a lot of people of color on  the campus, the city itself is still pretty diverse
oh wow yes i am! are you going to be a freshman? 
ECA! View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 9:43pm
yeah i'm going to a be a freshman are you? i do worry about the campus diversity though too...
What made you choose the u of m, if you don't mind me asking?

Edited by ECA! - May 02 2012 at 9:45pm
mellowkat01 View Drop Down
Guest Group
Guest Group

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2012 at 10:24pm
^^^
  you guys have got to be kidding right Geek

like seriously ? Shocked the Twin Cities metro area is VERY diverse, especially if you guys are going to the U of M !

You guys will NEVER feel left out, I can guarantee you that !

You guys are lucky, because of my major, I can't transfer to the U Twin Cities, and I have to go up north to the Duluth campus to finish my degree, where it is very homogenous to say the least Unhappy.

so count your blessings !

you two won't have a DAMN (and I mean not in the SLIGHTEST) thing to worry about ! Wink

I've been to the U several times, and It is extremely diverse, and the campus itself is GORGEOUS !

(assuming you guys have never been here)In terms of diversity, the TC metro is just as diverse as most big cities.....in fact its more like Canada in terms of mindset, which is a good thing.

so what are you guys have to complain about ?

YOU GUYS WILL LOVE IT HERE ! Tongue
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 3:51pm
Originally posted by mellowkat01 mellowkat01 wrote:

^^^
  you guys have got to be kidding right Geek

like seriously ? Shocked the Twin Cities metro area is VERY diverse, especially if you guys are going to the U of M !

You guys will NEVER feel left out, I can guarantee you that !

You guys are lucky, because of my major, I can't transfer to the U Twin Cities, and I have to go up north to the Duluth campus to finish my degree, where it is very homogenous to say the least Unhappy.

so count your blessings !

you two won't have a DAMN (and I mean not in the SLIGHTEST) thing to worry about ! Wink

I've been to the U several times, and It is extremely diverse, and the campus itself is GORGEOUS !

(assuming you guys have never been here)In terms of diversity, the TC metro is just as diverse as most big cities.....in fact its more like Canada in terms of mindset, which is a good thing.

so what are you guys have to complain about ?

YOU GUYS WILL LOVE IT HERE ! Tongue
i sure hope so! i was thinking about a sorority but...again the whole diversity thing Embarrassed I shall be visiting in may
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2012 at 3:52pm
Originally posted by ECA! ECA! wrote:

yeah i'm going to a be a freshman are you? i do worry about the campus diversity though too...
What made you choose the u of m, if you don't mind me asking?
oh same :) tell me you're part of the u of m facebook group! 
hmm well i was actually gonna go to PSU but the mailed me a scholarship. couldn't pass that up LOL
honniecake View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 12:36pm
aww. <3

dont worry hun. i know how you feel about not being the only chocolate bunny on campus. I go to a PWI as well, but the percentage of blacks is high.

OAN: has anyone noticed like, from many other black girls (most where im at), you get those mean looks and long stares? it's incredibly rude, and most of the people with attitudes i encounter as sadly the same color as me :( is it just me or?

VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 2:05pm
Originally posted by honniecake honniecake wrote:

aww. <3

dont worry hun. i know how you feel about not being the only chocolate bunny on campus. I go to a PWI as well, but the percentage of blacks is high.

OAN: has anyone noticed like, from many other black girls (most where im at), you get those mean looks and long stares? it's incredibly rude, and most of the people with attitudes i encounter as sadly the same color as me :( is it just me or?

it's not just you some people have pretty nasty attitudes in general. and it's depressing when you encounter a black female with one. And, while there are many black girls without attitudes, there are also a bunch with it too. the worst is where i go to get my hair done. I guess i say "like" a few times too much, and i look like i'm from the suburbs but when I walk in, they just have that mean look like they are judging. Cry

btw you're avi is so cute! 
honniecake View Drop Down

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2012 at 6:35pm
Originally posted by sanschemical sanschemical wrote:

Originally posted by honniecake honniecake wrote:

aww. <3

it's not just you some people have pretty nasty attitudes in general. and it's depressing when you encounter a black female with one. And, while there are many black girls without attitudes, there are also a bunch with it too. the worst is where i go to get my hair done. I guess i say "like" a few times too much, and i look like i'm from the suburbs but when I walk in, they just have that mean look like they are judging. Cry

btw you're avi is so cute! 

thanks hun! but YEAH! it makes us look bad, girl. i try to teach these ladies some etiquette. and dont let me get started on how most girls (of all colors)DRESS on campus YUCK! just walk outside naked! ...i remember one time these two black girls infront of me were walking slowly and i thought she would badmouth me from behind when i politely walked by but no she turned and said "im sorry, you can go ahead!" i was like CryCryCry muchas gracias. i have to keep hope alive..and the few blacks w/o tudes give me hope!

also OP-a little advice, before you go off, the struggle is real. meaning: you might encounter others with SERIOUS problems you only see in movies. i know that i am trying to push someone(well somebodies) to have better hygiene Dead, as girls, you would think they would know better right?
you might will come across frenemies, get on the financial aid office's CASE. and girl i mean it! i learned my lesson the summer before my freshmen year when i kept calling and checking and the lying, trifling representative (she wasn't an agent, just a student hired to keep others from talking to the professionals) told me that i had everything fine. UM NO--by the next week of school, i owed the school $$$1600!!! the God in me had to keep me from whooping her tail all up and down the delta (i live in mississippi)!!!! watch out for these snakes girl!!

Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic