FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login
Extensions Plus

Topic ClosedPrada FINALLY hires a black model

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
It Always Begin With Beautiful Hair

Premier Lace Wigs

Mynx Hair

Author
 Rating: Topic Rating: 3 Votes, Average 1.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
zsazsa View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Prada FINALLY hires a black model
    Posted: Jul 02 2013 at 2:31pm
and what say you bhm? black enough or...

I honesty thought I was looking at a white tanned woman. Anyway good luck to this African queen! 

(off toipic but does anyone know what happened to that thread that was kinda popping at the weekendwas it deleted? cheers!)

Prada cast a black model for the first time in TWO DECADES

• Kenyan-born Malaika Firth stars in new campaign
  • She is first black face of Prada since Naomi Campbell in 1994

Prada have cast a black model for their fall/winter 13 campaign for the first time since 1994.

B

Malaika Firth, a Kenyan-born, U.K.-raised model, is one of seven in the new ad campaign, starring alongside the likes of industry heavyweight Christy Turlington and Chinese model Fei Fei Sun.

Prada rarely hires Asian and black models so the 19-year-old's inclusion in the campaign is something of a milestone.

Scroll down for video

Milestone: Kenyan-born Malaika Firth features in Pradas new ad campaign

Milestone: Kenyan-born Malaika Firth features in Prada's new ad campaign

Malaika, who is on Premier Model Management's books and has been modelling since 2011, is the first black face of Prada since Naomi Campbell in 1994.

Between Campbell's runway appearance in 1993, and 2008, when Jourdan Dunn took to the catwalk, Prada had no black models in any of its women's runway shows. 

Finally multi-cultural: The campaign also includes Chinese model Fei Fei Sun

Finally multi-cultural: The campaign also includes Chinese model Fei Fei Sun

Seasoned model: Christy Turlington joins the new faces in the fall campaign, shot by Steven Meisel

Seasoned model: Christy Turlington joins the new faces in the fall campaign, shot by Steven Meisel

The Twittersphere seem extremely excited about the big news.

One user wrote: 'What took so long? “@GlobalGrindStyl: Prada breaks two decade hiatus by casting a black model in ad campaign.'

Another added: 'Prada wakes up, casts black model for first time in 19 years.'

Under represented: Prada have only used black models Naomi Campbell, left, in the Nineties and more recently Jourdan Dunn
Under represented: Prada have only used black models Naomi Campbell, left, in the Nineties and more recently Jourdan Dunn

Write caption here

Jenna Sauers, a writer from Jezebel.com, wrote: 'As we've documented repeatedly on this website, the fashion industry as a whole has a number of problems with race - whether it's the under-representation of models of color on the world's biggest runways, or the spate of ignorant but widely copied trends, like blackface references in editorials. 

'Perhaps no single brand has embodied near-total whiteness more than Prada. What made the company finally hire a black model for its seasonal ad campaign? Prada isn't saying. Let's hope it won't be 19 years before we see another.' 

And BHM, in other news...

'I'm normally fired because I'm colored!' Model Jourdan Dunn's surprise after being cut from Dior's catwalk over '32A boobs'

Supermodel Jourdan Dunn was cut from Christian Dior's haute couture fashion show in Paris today because of her chest size.

According to the 22-year-old's profile page on Storm Models' website, the London-based agency that represents her, she is a 32A - but this apparently wasn't the right look for the French fashion house.

The five-foot-ten-inch beauty of Jamaican heritage, announced the news on Twitter sarcastically laughing it off by saying, 'I love fashion'. She pointed out that it's usually her skin color that loses her jobs.

Scroll down for video

Demoted: Supermodel Jourdan Dunn, pictured here at a London launch event in June, was cut from Christian Diors couture fashion show in Paris today over her 32A chest

Demoted: Supermodel Jourdan Dunn, pictured here at a London launch event in June, was cut from Christian Dior's couture fashion show in Paris today over her 32A chest

'I'm normally told I'm cancelled because I'm 'coloured' so being cancelled because off [sic] my boobs is a minor,' she wrote.

There was certainly a lot of flesh on display at the Dior catwalk show, which took place in front of a star-studded crowd at the military museum, Hotel Des Invalides. 

Models were seen strutting down the catwalk in sheer gowns that exposed their breasts and underwear. Those who were picked over Miss Dunn for the show included Puerto Rican-born, Joan Smalls. 

While she was told that her body was the issue, since Raf Simons took the helm of Dior it has been criticized for using almost exclusively white models. 

Knock-back: The supermodel announced the news on Twitter

Knock-back: The supermodel announced the news on Twitter

Making a change: She pointed out she usually faces discrimination over her skin color

Making a change: She pointed out she usually faces discrimination over her skin color

Even industry figures have called out the luxury brand for its lack of diversity. 

James Scully who heads up model casting at Tom Ford, Jason Wu, Derek Lam, Stella McCartney, Lanvin and Carolina Herrera, told Buzzfeed in March: 'I feel the Dior cast is just so pointedly white that it feels deliberate.

'I watch that show and it bothers me - I almost can’t even concentrate on the clothes because of the cast. 

'And recently they’re changing from a very diverse, worldwide, multicultural cast to just a very Germanic-looking white girl.' 

Christian Dior
Christian Dior

Right look for the job: These were the models who were picked for the Christian Dior haute couture show

He even commented that Mr Simons' message was similar to that of his predecessor John Galliano, who was accused of racism following a drunken, anti-Semitic rant outside a Parisian cafe in 2011.

'Natalie Portman could complain that John Galliano was a racist, but I feel [Dior designer] Raf Simons sends the same message. I don’t know what the difference is,' he added.

In an interview with Net-A-Porter's The Edit in March, Miss Dunn recalled being turned away from model castings because the client 'didn't want any more black girls'.

The single mother-of one, who won Model Of The Year at the British Fashion Awards in 2008, also revealed the time a white makeup artist said she wouldn't work on her face because she was black.

Sponsored Links

Lilaca View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2013 at 2:34pm
she's purty
BrownQtee View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2013 at 2:38pm
*sigh* Sleepy
AshBash89 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2013 at 2:42pm
Jourdan is so beautiful.  I don't wear Prada so idec.
miana79 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2013 at 2:43pm
hardly-________
binky622 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2013 at 3:12pm
CHERRY IMMA REPORT YOU FOR THAT AVIStern Smile
sugabanana View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2013 at 3:13pm
Originally posted by binky622 binky622 wrote:

Binky what wrong with her Avi....Everyone loves Webster!
fairyQueen092 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2013 at 3:14pm
I jourdan, she's gorg

The woman above...

Edited by fairyQueen092 - Jul 02 2013 at 3:15pm
journeytolong View Drop Down
VIP Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2013 at 3:15pm
Should I feel proud or something?
binky622 View Drop Down
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul 02 2013 at 3:15pm
Originally posted by sugabanana sugabanana wrote:

Originally posted by binky622 binky622 wrote:

Binky what wrong with her Avi....Everyone loves Webster!

I  had to zoom in and was cracking upLOLCryLOL
emanual lewis is evil just like gary coleman use to be

Edited by binky622 - Jul 02 2013 at 3:15pm
Sunwell
China Lace Wigs
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
Netwurks Xcel21
Human Hair Wigs
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic