BHM BHM BHM
Forum Home Forum Home > Hair Care > Hair Breakage
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Post-relaxer breakage :'(

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>

The Best Human Hair Available with No Service Match

Author
Talisa View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Talisa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 20 2010 at 8:13pm
thanks firstladyc...whats a good mild treatment though?
Sponsored Links

kwicherbichen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kwicherbichen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 09 2011 at 5:21pm
Hi, I know I'm late, but I want to know if your problem is solved.

I, myself, relaxed the front part of my hair (tex-lax) a few days ago. I wanted to practice self-relaxing AND the new growth was driving me crazy because it was creating so many knots that I was cutting strands of hair. I thought a little tex-lax would be a great solution.

Well, its been a few days and I am having A LOT of breakage. More than my usual breakage. At first I thought it was just my old relaxed ends, but now, its the texlaxed hair. Obviously something is wrong. I KNOW it is from the relaxer because the back of my head is not breaking in the same manner.

I did some research and I think the issue is that we did not leave the nuetralizing shampoo on our head long enough. It doesn't matter if you washed it several times, you must leave it for AT LEAST 5 minutes. I know, this is something no one ever tells you. It is not even written on the bottle. I am going to try this out tonight and then do a cherry lola treatment (the only treatment that actually stops my breakage... yogurt with lots of fat & amino acids!) and tell you how it goes.

Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Veemack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2011 at 9:22am
The chemicals in a relaxer will stop working after a time. A neutralizing shampoo is just a harsh shampoo than removes residue more so than a regular shampoo. They market it as a neutralizing shampoo, but it does not de-neutralize the relaxer. Its rinses it off. The same as clarifying shampoos.....What takes your hair out is the state of your hair before you put the relaxer in. Relaxers damage your hair every time you use them. If you body is stressed and your hair is not in good condition it will break off from this toxic chemical. The problem is we do not know that our hair is stressed most of the times......You can go to the same stylist for years and then on one occasion have a bad experience with a relaxer. Because you hair could not handle the torture of the chemical.
kwicherbichen View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote kwicherbichen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 11 2011 at 7:48pm
Well, contrary to what Veemack is saying, the neutralizing shampoo DOES have a much lower Ph (fact) than the relaxer and regular shampoos. And I'm assuming they formulate it in a way that matches with their relaxer (assumption/opinion). I used Mizani, so I'll call Mizani and get details myself. 

But after leaving the PH balancer for 10 minutes, my breakage has stopped. So obviously, there's something to this (from MY personal experience this week)!

And if the harshness of the shampoo is scary, there are PH balancing conditioners. In fact, the Mizani I bought has a balancing conditioner that you are supposed to apply before the shampoo. I'll be sure to use that next time.
Lonisha87 View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lonisha87 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 19 2011 at 11:00pm
same thing happened to me last month(see my thread in the relaxer section. I did the aphogee(preotein treatment) and sadly it didn't work..my hair is still falling out....
buttercup89 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote buttercup89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec 20 2011 at 6:15am
I had similar breakage, and I did the Aphogee treatment.  The breakage has seemed to stop somewhat.  If it doesn't work, I'm going to do the 2 minute keratin reconstructor.
goldie_locks View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote goldie_locks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep 30 2012 at 6:32pm
i had a sim horror story....i usually always do my own hair but i decided to go to the salon to get a relaxer this past easter....needless 2 say that was a mistake...as she is blow drying my hair the hair in the front just snaps and what made it worse is that i was facing the mirror Cry. my hair was less than a half an inch from the center across to my ear (in the front only) i wanted to bawl...i usually do partial sew-ins and that was impossible with my now less than existent front. she claimed it must be from the color, i have been coloring my hair this color and relaxing it for nearly 12 yrs so i seriously doubt it Disapprove. i started wearing lace closures while my hair grew, it is now almost 4in Big smile in the front, my bang is about 6in so it is almost back to normal!!! 
nae2287 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nae2287 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 18 2012 at 1:37pm
I can relate also. A bad relaxer in May 2012 caused my to go natural.  I'm tracking my journey at my blog http://thenappynurse.wordpress.com - The Nappy Nurse See pictures on my  posts titled {last relaxer}the day all hell broke lose and {transition} month 2 and month 3. to see how bad it was.  I ended up transitioning for 5 months and BC'ing on 9/25/2012.

still wont let me upload pics.

here's the direct link to the pics
http://wp.me/p29xVv-5V

Edited by nae2287 - Oct 18 2012 at 2:32pm
Veemack View Drop Down
Elite Member
Elite Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Veemack Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct 19 2012 at 1:52am
Originally posted by kwicherbichen kwicherbichen wrote:

Well, contrary to what Veemack is saying, the neutralizing shampoo DOES have a much lower Ph (fact) than the relaxer and regular shampoos. And I'm assuming they formulate it in a way that matches with their relaxer (assumption/opinion). I used Mizani, so I'll call Mizani and get details myself. 

But after leaving the PH balancer for 10 minutes, my breakage has stopped. So obviously, there's something to this (from MY personal experience this week)!

And if the harshness of the shampoo is scary, there are PH balancing conditioners. In fact, the Mizani I bought has a balancing conditioner that you are supposed to apply before the shampoo. I'll be sure to use that next time.
Contrary to what I said? I said nothing about the PH and of course a relaxers PH is different from shampoo. I also said nothing about regular shampoos. I stated that neutralizing shampoo is just a clarifying shampoo which is strong enough to rinse the relaxer off of your hair. It does not stop the relaxer from processing, it rinses it off. That is all shampoos do. they clean off any residue on your hair. This is not opinion, this is true. Ask any company that makes shampoo, I mean the actual people who formulate and put the ingredients together. They just add more detergents to the shampoo depending upon what their client is using it for. The shampoos that are meant to be sold directly to the consumer have less detergents, the shampoo to rinse out harsh chemicals have more. From my professional experience. Again a relaxer will stop processing on its own after a time.

Edited by Veemack - Oct 19 2012 at 1:59am
KunoichiNindroid View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KunoichiNindroid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov 09 2012 at 11:16pm
Originally posted by Veemack Veemack wrote:

The chemicals in a relaxer will stop working after a time. A neutralizing shampoo is just a harsh shampoo than removes residue more so than a regular shampoo. They market it as a neutralizing shampoo, but it does not de-neutralize the relaxer. Its rinses it off. The same as clarifying shampoos.....What takes your hair out is the state of your hair before you put the relaxer in. Relaxers damage your hair every time you use them. If you body is stressed and your hair is not in good condition it will break off from this toxic chemical. The problem is we do not know that our hair is stressed most of the times......You can go to the same stylist for years and then on one occasion have a bad experience with a relaxer. Because you hair could not handle the torture of the chemical.

Neutralizing shampoos DO help neutralize relaxers because they are slightly acidic as opposed to regular shampoos which are quite alkali. Relaxer creams are strong alkali's so can't be neutralized by non pH balanced shampoo. Also, some neutralising shampoos have a color indicator, which I'm pretty sure is phenolpthalein. Y'know, the pink one one from high school chemistry titrations. Phenolphtalein has an equivalence point at about pH 8 if you remember so the lather can only turn from pink to white after it crosses this equivalence point. If neutralizing shampoos weren't slightly acidic, you would spend forever getting the lather to turn white. Rinsing alone can't do that. Also, yea there are harsher detergents in some neutralizing shampoo but that's a good thing because it helps remove the residue and film from no-lye relaxers. But it's not like that's ALL they contain. Wash your hair with a neutralizing shampoo and wash your hair with any harsh small brand cheapie shampoo and YOU tell me the difference.

Edited by KunoichiNindroid - Nov 10 2012 at 5:56am
Get Longer Healthier Faster Growing Hair
GreatGlam.com
Get Healthier Stronger Longer Hair
The Elite Hair Care Sorority
Electric Cherry Hair
Hair Extensions Wefted Hair Wigs and More
Human Hair Wigs
Wefting Training
Beautfiully Created Human Hair Extensions
The Haircare Solution for Locs and Twists
DHT Blocker System